The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2022, 04:16 AM

On the golf thing (great game by the way) I sold my clubs bag and even my shoes when I realized that I wasn't going to get competitive in this lifetime if I still kept up with my high power shooting game. Both take bunches of time (not to count the money) to get to where I was happy with my achievements. Been shooting for 30+ years, only played golf for about 6.

They have a lot in common, believe it or not, frustration, anger, a test of patience, why did that shot go there? Why in the hell am I playing this game, I think I could use a cold beer. It's all the same, just golf has better scenery. Pick your games wisely, you will probably be stuck in it for life if you once get a little bit good , and remember you always remember that one shot that went where you thought it would, not the one that landed ii the middle of someone else's game...Tedd
Old September 22nd, 2022, 05:01 AM

Tedd, I used to shoot a lot of skeet. There was this 13 year old kid whose dad worked for Federal. He would arrive at a match in the back of his parents car reading a comic book, get out and shoot 500 straight then go back to reading his comic book, He probably discovered woman and can't shoot 12 straight now

My architects son played golf with us once. At the turn he was 7 under from the tips . Looked like a 15 year old Howdy Doody

Life just has less distractions when your young.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 07:20 AM

I was lucky in the shooting sports games as many of my friends (all students or instructors) at gunsmith school were world-class shooters and took this 18-year-old wet behind the ears, know nothing kid under their wing, took the time to show me how the real world of precision shooting is done. I thank them all to this day.

Skeet is an endurance race, first one to 600, and you win the rights to the shoot off for the gun or prize and that might for another 100 rounds. I carried a 23 1/2 average and never won a prize, tough fun game... Tedd
Old September 22nd, 2022, 07:31 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got home when I was supposed to yesterday with little drama. Long day, long trip home. Sure was glad to see Tiger. And Mom. I didn't stay long over there, and hit the sack as soon as I got home.

Work has been hopping today. Didn't really miss anything while I was gone. This one goober who nobody likes is leaving tomorrow. I think the going away party is next week hehe.

Can't beat this week, today is Monday and tomorrow is Friday. I'm not working Saturday, thought I'd give myself a break. And there's a big car show I want to go to.

Okay almost lunch. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Old September 22nd, 2022, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yes, but the 3.55:1 ratio was never available on the O-Type, only on the 8.2" 10 bolt and Chevy 12 bolt rears.
Thanks Kenneth - I also saw your PM on this topic with the additional info. At this point, I am going to have to triple check some things. I know my cover is 12-bolt, I am going to have to look again to make sure the cover is totally smooth with no inverted "V" at the top of the cover (read this is a characteristic of Chevy 12-bolt). If it is completely smooth and I definitely have an O-type, I must have 3.42's in there. Thanks!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 22nd, 2022 at 01:36 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 08:48 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - No more fence building. Tough finding things to do on these 100 year old homes. Maybe I’ll cruise the neighborhood asking if I can change the anode and drain folk’s water heaters for them.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 10:34 AM

Good morning guys,

Well crap, if it isn't one thing, it's another! My 2000 Ford 4x4 truck passed the emissions test, but failed the safety inspection because of bad upper ball joints. Two years ago it failed for bad lower ball joints and a couple other front end components. Now I have to take it back in next Tuesday and fork out $800, supposed to be a one day job. I don't have the skill, or the desire, to try and do the work myself. Could always be worse, I could not have the cash to pay for it.

Not much else on tap for today. Looking forward to a big car show at a VFW on Saturday, and the St. Louis Old's Club's All Oldsmobile Show on Sunday. The weather's supposed to be beautiful this weekend.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old September 22nd, 2022, 11:21 AM
Running On Empty

Ball joints = 90% labor.
Yes. We’re all fortunate driving about w/ 2-3 vehicles, a home & food on the table.
Not much to bitch about, really.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Ball joints = 90% labor.
Yes. We’re all fortunate driving about w/ 2-3 vehicles, a home & food on the table.
Not much to bitch about, really.
Agree 100%, and I'll add the most important thing, our health.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 12:31 PM

Mike, Feel free to say " I told ya so"

My bookkeeper's dad is a car guy and suggested I take my Vista cruiser to Gateway automotive to sell for me. My main man was going to go to Elberton, Ga today to pick up some markers [headstones] ,So he rode me up to the lake and the plan was for me to drop my car off to be sold and him pick me up on the way back to the cemetery.

Before he got back I had to call him and say "Just go to the cemetery, I'm not leaving the Vista Cruiser here"

I'll park it in the woods and let it rust before I'd take what they wanted to sell it for

Day COMPLETELY WASTED

Go ahead Mike, You told me so an I should have listened to you

Mike + 1 bookkeeper's dad - 2
Old September 22nd, 2022, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Thanks Kenneth - I also saw your PM on this topic with the additional info. At this point, I am going to have to triple check some things. I know my cover is 12-bolt, I am going to have to look again to make sure the cover is totally smooth with no inverted "V" at the top of the cover (read this is a characteristic of Chevy 12-bolt). If it is completely smooth and I definely have an O-type, I must have 3.42's in there. Thanks!
If you can see the casting number on the center section that would definitively identify it.

Old September 22nd, 2022, 01:47 PM

If you can see the casting number on the center section that would definitively identify it.
Kenneth - I want to know. I'm gonna go out there in a little while and see how far I can get under there without jacking it up, and see if I can find the casting number. If I need to jack it up to get my eyes to the backside, it ain't happening right now because there's no space, my motorcycles and the garage wall are too close.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 01:56 PM

If I need to jack it up to get my eyes to the backside
I understand what you mean, but I have to point out that the casting number is on the front side.

If you have a selfie stick (ha!) or even a pole that you can attach your cel phone to, you can start video and move the phone to the pinion snout area and maybe you can capture the casting number.

Last edited by Fun71; September 22nd, 2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 03:11 PM

I understand what you mean, but I have to point out that the casting number is on the front side.

If you have a selfie stick (ha!) or even a pole that you can attach your cel phone to, you can start video and move the phone to the pinion snout area and maybe you can capture the casting number.
Ya, I said backside meaning if you're looking at it from the rear of the car. I could tell from the picture you provided what side it's on. Haven't got out there yet, hoping to before I start losing light. If not this evening, I'll check it out tomorrow morning.
Old September 22nd, 2022, 05:17 PM
Running On Empty

...I have to point out that the casting number is on the front side.
What would give it away?

Sorry guys, I know you're helping each other, but I got a chuckle out of Ken's statement...

Old September 22nd, 2022, 06:36 PM

I got a chuckle out of Ken's statement...
Thanks Norm. My attempts at humor aren't always successful. Just ask my wife.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 04:11 AM
Running On Empty

Like clockwork the equinox arrived today Friday, September 23, marking the 1st day of fall/autumn and the cold front which moved through last night was right on its heels. Temps today are 20°F - 25°F cooler w/ a modest wind out of the North. Quite a turnaround. Tonight's lows are predicted to be 45°F today's highs will only get into the lower 70°s.

Going to set up another section of scaffolding this morning. Repair of the other roofing section fascia/roof rafter was complete a couple days ago currently waiting on the polyurethane PL sealant to fully cure.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 04:21 AM
Running On Empty

Wait for it...

Old September 23rd, 2022, 06:44 AM

headed norte [again]
Old September 23rd, 2022, 06:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

The overtime people built and signed off 64 wheels this morning. So we are on a path for an excellent departure. The earlier the better since I have several errands to take Mom on this afternoon.

Jamesbo it's okay. Sometimes things work out that shouldn't. Not this time. They don't care what it sells for, they will get their pre-determined commission. I hope you didn't let them take any pictures of it.

I guess I haven't been paying attention. Is this the first hurricane to hit land this season? Looks like it's headed right up to Orlando.

Lots to do this weekend. Hope I do some of it. Have a good day everyone.

Old September 23rd, 2022, 07:16 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - The landfall track is closer to Naples/Sarasota, I’m sure Orlando will get some rain.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 07:31 AM

Good morning guys,

Norm - Said it once, but will say it again, I hope all the hurricanes miss you!

Jim - Safe travels!

Mike - I hope you get out very early. Also hope you're able to get out and do something fun this weekend.

Wife just left to go clean house for her friend down the street. Monty has developed a bacterial or fungal infection in the wrinkle folds of his face, which can be common in Bulldogs. We've been lucky this is the 1st one he's ever had in 6-years. We've been trying to treat it ourselves, washing daily with dog safe antibacterial soap, and application of dogs safe antibacterial cream, but it doesn't seem to be helping, and may be spreading. He tolerates the bath/washing of his face fairly well, but trying to get the cream into his wrinkle folds is like trying to wrestle an alligator. Since it's been several days and it doesn't seem to be improving, my wife called the Vet yesterday, and at first they said they couldn't see him until next Tuesday. After some pleading by my wife, they said bring him in tomorrow morning at 0800. We're hoping the Vet will prescribe some antibiotics and/or steroids that will knock it out quickly. Well, that's great for Monty, not so great for me, as I was supposed to be on the road to my car show by then. Hopefully we'll be home in time for me to get to the show before registration ends.

Not much else on tap for today other than a buyer coming to pick up a table and chair set my wife sold yesterday for $600. Not counting her labor, over 600% profit, pretty nice payday for a hobby.

Hope ya'll have a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 23rd, 2022 at 07:37 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 09:09 AM
Running On Empty

Well, hell...TD NINE isn't even a tropical storm, yet; but, NOAA-NHC just released an intermediary forecast upgrading it to Major hurricane when it does/eventually make landfall; which, to me, at this point in time appears to be Naples/Sarasota. They must have a great deal of confidence. Of course, they're better off predicting to be safe than sorry. Still five days away from landfall.

Old September 23rd, 2022, 09:38 AM

Ya, I said backside meaning if you're looking at it from the rear of the car. I could tell from the picture you provided what side it's on. Haven't got out there yet, hoping to before I start losing light. If not this evening, I'll check it out tomorrow morning.
Kenneth - Got out there this morning and snapped a couple pics, think I see the casting number, but can't read it. I couldn't get real close to where I believe the number is because from the rear the sway bar is so low, and from in front of the rear tire the exhaust is in the way. Will need to jack up the rear at some point and take some steel wool to it and then see if I can read it. Let me know if you think you see a number in the pics? Or, maybe just from the pics you will be able tell for sure if it's an O-type?

With the gas tank in the way this is the best pic I could get of the rear.

Believe the arrow is pointing to the middle of the casting #. Can you see it?

Different photo with zoom in. Again, arrow pointing at what I believe is the casting #, but I can't read it.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 23rd, 2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 12:25 PM

That appears to be the casting number but its covered with too much crud and I can't read it. The cover sure looks like an O-Type, though. The only thing that led me to think it wasn't an O-Type is you said it has 3.55 gears, which were never available in the O-Type. So maybe it really has 3.42 gears?
Old September 23rd, 2022, 12:54 PM

That appears to be the casting number but its covered with too much crud and I can't read it. The cover sure looks like an O-Type, though. The only thing that led me to think it wasn't an O-Type is you said it has 3.55 gears, which were never available in the O-Type. So maybe it really has 3.42 gears?
Yes I'm sure you're right, it's an O-type, and it must have 3.42 gears. I must have miscalculated when I initially did the tire rotation vs. number of drive shaft rotations method of calculating the ratio. The two ratios are pretty close, probably wouldn't be too hard to "F" it up, especially for me! Thanks for helping me work thru it, much appreciated!
Old September 23rd, 2022, 01:53 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - From the looks of the images you'll be there a month of Sundays removing whatever is hiding/covering the casting number. It appears someone at some point in time sprayed the axle and differential w/ what appears to be a rubberized undercoating (Ziebart, Herculiner, Rustoleum, etc.). Judging from the external appearance (alone), I'm thinking it's time for you to change the differential fluid. Once its opened up, you'll have unequivocal proof of the gear ratio.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 03:01 PM

Chris - From the looks of the images you'll be there a month of Sundays removing whatever is hiding/covering the casting number. It appears someone at some point in time sprayed the axle and differential w/ what appears to be a rubberized undercoating (Ziebart, Herculiner, Rustoleum, etc.). Judging from the external appearance (alone), I'm thinking it's time for you to change the differential fluid. Once its opened up, you'll have unequivocal proof of the gear ratio.
Norm - Honestly, it's not as bad as it looks. Just a fine coating of dust/dirt, not corrosion. The entire undercarriage was sprayed in 2015 with what appears to be a very hard, black semi-gloss, with what looks to be an enamel, or it could POR 15. I do not believe it is any type of rubberized undercoating because of it's hardness and resistance to gouges. The majority of the undercarriage looks relatively fresh like the picture of the rear cover on the differential. I really don't know why that particular area of the differential has accumulated that much dirt.

Fluid in the rear differential was added when the car was completed in 2016. I don't really know how often you should change the fluid based on age, but there has not been many miles put on it since it's been on the road. Jim Mitsche (monzaz) told me that the minor noise I'm hearing when I first take off after the car has sat awhile is more than likely normal anti-spin chatter, because it goes away after driving a short distance. However, he did suggest buying a small bottle of pure limited slip agent and adding it to the existing fluid, so that's what I'm going to do before going to the trouble of pulling the cover. At this point, I'm confident it has 3.42 gearing based on the fact I have an O-type rear end, and that ratio is the only one close to the calculations I've done via the wheel vs. drive shaft rotations method, and using a gear ratio calculator via tire diameter/speed/rpm's input.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 23rd, 2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I was kidding you about changing the diff fluid. NOTE:
Old September 23rd, 2022, 04:39 PM

Norm, my winter home is right at the H Wed 2 am on your map. Port Charlotte
Old September 23rd, 2022, 04:46 PM

Chris - I was kidding you about changing the diff fluid. NOTE:
Norm - That's the problem with the written word, it's so easy to see something in a different way than intended. I thought you were serious about needing to change the fluid, and the " " only applied to your last sentence about unequivocally knowing the gear ratio if I had the cover off. In any case, I wasn't taken aback whatsoever, it just went over my head, easily done because I'm short! This discussion got me thinking though as to why that area is much dirtier than others. Went outside and looked at that same area on the opposite side of the car, yep, the same way. I'm guessing it's road spray from when the car's been driven in the rain. I've never cleaned a single inch of the undercarriage in the 3-years I've owned it.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
Norm, my winter home is right at the H Wed 2 am on your map. Port Charlotte
Ray - Hope all fairs well w/ your home in Port Charlotte. I used to live in New Port Richey & Dade City. John (Koda) has family who lives in FL, as well. The track has been extended a little further North for a proposed landfall - edging it's way closer towards Tampa Bay, but remains a strong Major hurricane based upon NOAA-NHC discussions. I exploded/zoomed the last several NOAA-NHC tracking cones demonstrating the proposed movement and time stamps over the past 12 hours.

Current 5PM EDT

Previous 6 hours

Previous 12 hours

Old September 23rd, 2022, 06:40 PM

Chris, that would probably clean up very easily with a wire brush. But then I woldn't suggest you even put forth the effort to do that.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 06:40 PM

Chris, it's an O type. Find the two character code on the axle tube to see what it came with originally. Pulling the diff. cover and checking the ratio per the gear stamping is no big deal.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 06:55 PM

Chris, that would probably clean up very easily with a wire brush. But then I woldn't suggest you even put forth the effort to do that.
Agree, 100%. Sometime when I have the rear end jacked up for something else and can easily get to it I'll clean it off and get it, not worth going to the trouble for just that, especially now that I have a high confidence of what it is.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 07:04 PM

While looking for the stamped code is a good idea, in reality that is even harder to see than the casting number. I've had to use a wire wheel on a drill to clean the tube enough to see that stamped code on rears with just slight mount of surface rust, and the ones with 50 years of accululated oily dirt on top of the rust were even harder to clean. And remember the code is on top of the tube, so it's hard to get your head in there to see it with the rear installed under the car.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, it's an O type. Find the two character code on the axle tube to see what it came with originally. Pulling the diff. cover and checking the ratio per the gear stamping is no big deal.
Dan - First, approximately where on the axle tube should I look for two letter code, passenger or driver`s side, and front, back, top, or bottom of tube, or were they stamped in random locations?

Really not interested in pulling the diff cover right now because I'm highly confident that it's an O-type with 3.42, and that it's functioning properly.

Old September 23rd, 2022, 07:17 PM

While looking for the stamped code is a good idea, in reality that is even harder to see than the casting number. I've had to use a wire wheel on a drill to clean the tube enough to see that stamped code on rears with just slight mount of surface rust, and the ones with 50 years of accululated oily dirt on top of the rust were even harder to clean. And remember the code is on top of the tube, so it's hard to get your head in there to see it with the rear installed under the car.
I appreciate the extra info, especially the part about the stamping being on the top of the tube. I think discretion is going to be the better part of valor at this point, and I'm gonna leave well enough alone for the time being. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Certainly appreciate all you guy's help though!
Old September 23rd, 2022, 07:19 PM

Looking from the rear of the car, generally 6-8" from the pumpkin on the passenger side. Not uncommon to be upside down.
Old September 23rd, 2022, 07:23 PM

Buy the 442 By The Numbers book from Supercars Unlimited. Good info within.