The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2022, 05:18 AM
Jeff

When I had my roof replaced due to storm damage, my lead was on a first-name basis with my insurance adjuster. That kind of a relationship shows that, a) your roofer isn't too green, and 2) you are likely to have a very satisfactory result from the two working together. I had a wrench thrown into my job because the adjuster's supervisor decided she wanted to show up that day, and only wanted to replace half of the roof. Well, you aren't going to get a color match on a 15 year old roof, so after a few more phone calls, insurance wound up covering the whole thing. ALWAYS pay the little bit extra for replacement cost coverage! Even though they did factor in depreciation, my out of pocket was not very much.

My folks had a '76 Monte, and the amount of room in that engine bay was ridiculous. Biggest fan shroud EVER.
Old September 13th, 2022, 06:22 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Some glitch with the printer and I'm not getting some of my paperwork. Hm the thing is already tango uniform maybe this will get someone out to fix it faster.

After the epic hail storm a few years ago my new roof cost me 1000 bucks. That was my deductible. I think the whole job was 6000. When I had my ridge vent redone a few months ago I asked the guy what a new roof would be, he said about 16000. Holy **** I said. He said the asphalt shingles are a petroleum product. Gasoline was over $4 a gallon at that time. It all ties together.

I had an auto shop teacher tell me once that cars built for going fast have the engine well forward in the frame, and cars meant to handle/corner have the engine back further in the frame. John your Monte should handle like it's on rails.

The big debate today: is it a drill or a drill motor?

So the lead is here and he just found out about our paperwork problem. He's on the job! Didn't I say this was going to be a long week.

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

Old September 13th, 2022, 02:04 PM

Norm, [my person hero] has inspired me to play "this old House with him. My shack was built in 1896 and added onto about 30 times [this corner where 3 roofs come together was NOT the best thought out addition]

Run off + deck water splashing into a corner =wood rot. after tearing away a few layers [ much like car rust, what you can see is usually less than half of what's there]

after it dries up, Hardie plank is going back Should be there long after I go home to glory

Old September 13th, 2022, 02:26 PM

here's a beautiful one. Wish it were full removable top
Old September 13th, 2022, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Good on you tearing into it for repair. Take your time. When I bought this 1930 house there was one large addition to the original house. Then, several bedrooms removed, another small addition, etc. When I renovated/remodeled the large (Spartacus) addition (kitchen) it became apparent why the exterior 1"x10"x16' pine siding was drooping below the kitchen window, the sill plate was rotting, & the kitchen luan flooring boards were rotted. I know the original house had no toilet/restroom - they had a double-seater in the field outback. The old garage had a shower installed inside (and I'm sure it doubled as a wash house). At some point they built an outhouse indoors - that's about all it was. But, back to the sagging siding and rotted flooring.

Remember the ringer washing machines? They were on wheels to roll them around. They were great as it sure beat the washboard. But, to get water into the ringer washing machine and discharge that water, folks would hang the water discharge drain line most often right out the window above the kitchen sink since the water inlet tapped into the kitchen faucet. Most likely 30-40 years of water damage from the old ringer washing machine I suspect. That all took me some time to repair.
Old September 13th, 2022, 02:42 PM
Running On Empty

It's gorgeous. Buy it.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Old September 13th, 2022, 02:48 PM

Norm, that particular part of the 'addition "was exactly what you're speaking of Original back door went to laundry porch. When I bought it in 1976 it had a left over hippie renting it out . had 4 fuses [3 had pennies] and al the water piping had rubber with hose clamps

the jury is still lout as to weather having a historic marker out front is better than burning the place to the ground and starting over
Old September 13th, 2022, 03:00 PM

Jim - That's a damn nice looking one! How much they asking for that? I'm guessing +$50K from what I've been seeing out there.
Old September 13th, 2022, 03:00 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I recall you mentioning the hippie in years past. I've seen the historic marker (online) in front of your place. It's actually a really nice historical marker. I know you're kidding, you deserve many kudos for keeping these old homesteads alive. I renovated/remodeled a three story Polish raised flat (built in 1901) from 1992-1998 (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) - tons of work. The house corner posts were 40' tall, two on each of the four corners (eight total) - each was buried ~10' into the soil. I was amazed. Milwaukee is basically an inland swamp. When taking down a wall I found a 1919 drug store postcard with three color lithograph picture on it. I also found 6-7 Old Kessler 1/2 pint bottles buried in a couple walls. The guy I worked w/ at the Blood Research Institute had a PhD in Pharmacology. I gave the postcard to him - he really liked it - made his day.
Old September 13th, 2022, 03:08 PM

Norm, I am kidding. This old house has given me a roof over my head for almost 50 years. That's alot more than many people have
Old September 13th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Jeff

Norm, I am kidding. This old house has given me a roof over my head for almost 50 years. That's alot more than many people have
Back before the wife and I got married, she was in Ohio as a GM field rep. Driving home to Clarkston, MI from Massillon, OH, I'd often say, "Please be burned down, please be burned down" once I was about a mile from home. I really hated remodeling that house, and vowed to never do it again on a primary residence.
Old September 13th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Always room for one more

Got out a couple minutes early, enough to beat the mad rush out of the parking lot. Went home and took a nap. No idea why I was so tired but it was nice. Went to Mom's and partially rebuilt the pantry. She has this habit of loading up 800 pounds of canned goods on a shelf held up by little plastic tabs and then gets mad when the tabs break and the shelf falls. I told her all the years I lived here I never had the plastic tabs fail. Sheesh.

Jamesbo that's a nice looking rig. I saw an old Bronco that was green with the beige soft top. It was I think 58K. Some time when Supermodel isn't getting ready for work, I'd love a tour of your house. Old places like that fascinate me. When it was just me at home I would go away and leave the dryer going. It was new so what. Not the best idea but I thought heck, if the place gets burned down I get a new one. I never stopped to think of all that would entail. At the time I hated living here and felt trapped, but I'm sure glad that never happened. What's funny is I sort of miss living in that house and like it a whole lot better than my new one.

Mom was just talking about wringer washing machines, but I didn't think you washed with the wringer, you just squeezed the water out of the clothes when you were done. I assumed you scrubbed the clothes on the washboard in the tub first.

Time for some ice cream, then watch MASH, then bed. And tomorrow is a whopping Wednesday. Have a good evening everyone.

Old September 13th, 2022, 03:32 PM

Good evening guys,

So, you've probably guessed it's been a busy day since I haven't been on here. Worked on the car early this morning but was only able to get the 2 bumpers polished before the insurance adjuster got here.

Good news is the insurance adjuster agreed with my roofing contractor (who was also here), that there is substantial hail damage to the roof, gutters, downspouts, and to a minor degree fascia. I'll tell you what though, it is a really funky process for settling the claim. The adjuster will send me a settlement letter explaining their proposed settlement, with a check for roughly half of the proposed settlement minus my deductible. The check will require a dual endorsement, 1st by my mortgage company and then by me to be deposited. After
the work is completed, I will need pictures of the completed work to send to the insurance company and then they will send a check for the remainder of the settlement. The 2nd check will not need to be double endorsed. Sounds like alot of fun to me!

Thought about helping my daughter with more moving tonight, but after meeting with the adjuster I mowed and trimmed, then rested about an hour, and then did my cardio workout, and now I'm wiped out! Maybe I can help them again tomorrow or Thursday if they're working on it.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old September 13th, 2022, 04:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Mom was just talking about wringer washing machines, but I didn't think you washed with the wringer, you just squeezed the water out of the clothes when you were done. I assumed you scrubbed the clothes on the washboard in the tub first.
You didn't wash w/ a wringer.

Mike - The very first washing machines had a wringer to wring out the water. Early units didn't have an agitator, as time progressed they incorporated an agitator. They had an agitator and they very lightly agitated the clothes - no spin cycles - you would wring out the water from the clothes. "Wringers" preceded the first washing machines. As time marched onward the first washing machineshad an inlet (you'd attach to a spigot - most often the kitchen sink faucet) and an outlet to drain the water, but they eventually had an agitator to wash the clothes. As said, wringers preceded washing machines and you could have a wringer mounted to a "wash tub" which may or may not have had a washboard.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; September 13th, 2022 at 04:20 PM.
Old September 13th, 2022, 04:42 PM

Jim when I saw the area that you are working on with your house, my first thought was, what is that water pipe doing on the outside wall, it'll Freeze in the wint....uh, never mind, Georgia. So, Chris, you basically did a workout doing lawn work, and decided that you needed a workout afterwards?
Old September 13th, 2022, 04:46 PM

I abandoned in place a Maytag washer of my great grandma's. It was only worth 100 bucks and it was worth 100 bucks for me not to haul it out of the basement. I did lube it up and fire it up, the motor ran, the transmission engaged, the agitator spun, and the wringer worked in both directions. I wrung a pair of socks, then parked it. My old man is still holding paper on the house, so I guess it's still there.
Old September 13th, 2022, 04:55 PM

I did lube it up and fire it up, the motor ran, the transmission engaged
is this one of the early gasoline powered units?
Old September 13th, 2022, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
So, Chris, you basically did a workout doing lawn work, and decided that you needed a workout afterwards?
Yep, because you really don't get much heavy cardio walking behind a self-propelled mower. My cardio workout is 40-minutes of intense cardio on a Bowflex Max Trainer, burning 800 calories. My workouts are just part of my lifestyle that I've been doing consistently for 40-years. When I miss a scheduled workout I just feel out of sorts.
Old September 13th, 2022, 05:20 PM

Jim - Here is a real beauty for ya! It ain't green, but has the tan interior and comes with the completely detachable roof. Pretty proud of it though, $70K, but this dealer is known for immaculate, turnkey cars and trucks.

Here's a link to it if you want to see more, it's a real gem!
https://www.admcars.com/1973-chevrol...old=Available&
Old September 13th, 2022, 06:46 PM

is this one of the early gasoline powered units?
No I could've sold that to the Amish and they would have hauled it out, too. This was an electrical, I lubed the armature.
Old September 13th, 2022, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I am going to walk my happy *** over to LLC fill and watch if Highlanders have springs and if the hose collapses, because we use vacuum. We push the fluid in, but pull vacuum first just to get the air gone. It's pull vacuum, meet a vacuum level, fill to a pressure at the cap, then remove a set small amount.
That will be interesting information.
Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Who care except guys like us?
I think there is a lot of merit in that statement.
Old September 14th, 2022, 12:24 AM

Jim when I saw the area that you are working on with your house, my first thought was, what is that water pipe doing on the outside wall, it'll Freeze in the wint....uh, never mind, Georgia. So, Chris, you basically did a workout doing lawn work, and decided that you needed a workout afterwards?

Maybe once or twice every few years it drops into the teens or maybe even single digits. I unusually just open the lower cabinet doors and let the water drip during the evening Never had much of a problem after I figured out the wind through cracks in the underpinning was what could cause major problems

Now that you mention it, The house in the mountains [ much colder'] doesn't have any water in any outside walls. I cut the water off every time I leave
Old September 14th, 2022, 10:18 AM

Good morning guys,

Got out and worked on the car some more, but only got the two sides done before my wife had other plans for me. Got all the exterior done now except for the wheels, and it will need a little touch-up in the engine bay, and the interior vacuumed and dusted. It's getting done in drips and drabs, but will be done by Saturday and that's all that really matters.

Wife needed my help this morning to go pickup a large dining room table and 6 chairs. It's very nice, very old, and solid wood. It has a unique feature I've never seen before, a crafted wooden box to store the 2 large leaves in. She has not age dated it yet, but is probably at least 75 to 100-years old. She is just finishing up a dining room table and chairs that was manufactured in St. Louis that is a true Antique, circa 1910-1915. Here's a pic of Monty photo-bombing the one she just finished.

Hope you all are having great day!
Old September 14th, 2022, 02:23 PM

Chris, If i were you, I'd watch that table leg. Looks like some one finds it interesting
Old September 14th, 2022, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jim - Here is a real beauty for ya! It ain't green, but has the tan interior and comes with the completely detachable roof. Pretty proud of it though, $70K, but this dealer is known for immaculate, turnkey cars and trucks.

Here's a link to it if you want to see more, it's a real gem!
https://www.admcars.com/1973-chevrol...old=Available&

That is a really nice truck. Prolly a bit too nice to go out and play with us here in Arizona, though.

This is our company president's Bronco that I'm sure some folks would love to turn into a trailer queen like that K5 above.

Old September 14th, 2022, 03:41 PM

Chris, If i were you, I'd what that table leg. Looks like some one finds it interesting
Jim - He's a mischievous one for sure, but would never take a pee on the table leg. Now I can tell ya, we can't leave socks or slippers down or he will find them, and either hide them, or hold on to them to try and make you get them back, and then the battle is on!
Old September 14th, 2022, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That is a really nice truck. Prolly a bit too nice to go out and play with us here in Arizona, though.

This is our company president's Bronco that I'm sure some folks would love to turn into a trailer queen like that K5 above.
Kenneth - That is a really nice Blazer, definitely a cruiser, not a crawler, although it would probably crawl rather nicely. The off-roading looks really fun, I bet you have a blast doing that!
Old September 14th, 2022, 04:13 PM

Kenneth

Tanks but I'm stuck on green

AND the prices have gone completely crazy
Old September 14th, 2022, 05:45 PM

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...522470112.html

Jim 30k
Old September 15th, 2022, 02:42 AM

--Jim, got the generator all hooked up yesterday and all went well with turn off, inspection and turn back on. PIA came when went to do registration/ etc. I have never got into using phone for internet stuff but my neighbor got it working. I guess..... I tried on the laptop and ended up getting a # on that , then my neighbor used my phone and we ended up registering 2 generators- one gergs generator and one gregs generator as their names. So now I think I have 3 generators registered. Ahh computers.... Well I think I can delete 2 of them after I spend some time researching. Anyway it does work. When we simulated a utility outage by turning off breaker on transfer switch, generator started/ transferred. Then when turned back on breaker it transferred back to utility, gen ran for a minute or so showing "cooling down" on display, then shut off. Good deal...
-- Going to the Kalamazoo Street Rod nationals this weekend with a couple buddies on Saturday. You going, Dan?
``Also going to the Ducktail Run on weekend of the 23rd with the old truck. That should be a blast. It's in northern Indiana, going to spend a night there. Se yas!!
Old September 15th, 2022, 02:47 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Good job getting the gennie running.
Old September 15th, 2022, 03:16 AM

Greg, I'm glad you got thru the worst of it [registration] My neighbor [retire Dr. with piles of $$$$ got on a maintenance plan Where 2 x a year the come by check the oil switch on switch off and I don't know what else. Anyway a few winters back their generator was chugging away during and ice storm and the HOA common well went TU. His wife called her maintenance company to come get the well one running. So I went ahead and put it on a contract with the HOA .

I spose like anything else ya gotta look after them

Otto, that's a down right odd combination but the price is right

I really made a big mistake back in 1970 Instead of buying stocks and bonds, I should have bought Blazers and parked them.
Old September 15th, 2022, 06:58 AM

I received a text yesterday from my cousin, bad news, he lost his home in the Mosquito fire, A unique place, one of a kind, in a unique area surrounded by Tahoe National Forest, off grid and about 8,000 foot elevation. Set up like a story book real state folder.

He is well insured but doubtful he will rebuild, looking at Tennessee for a maybe move to state. More when I know more...Tedd
Old September 15th, 2022, 08:26 AM

Tedd, so sorry for your cousin's loss.
Old September 15th, 2022, 09:12 AM
Running On Empty

Tedd, so sorry for your cousin's loss.
^^x2^^
Old September 15th, 2022, 09:19 AM
Running On Empty

Ray - Elected to implement your suggestion.

Old September 15th, 2022, 09:21 AM
Running On Empty

Today's lunch is beef...

Old September 15th, 2022, 09:43 AM

Norm, You deserve it

Char it on both sides and enjoy "Pittsburg Blue" and lather on [ using a large trowel works best] some Maitre d'hotel buter
Old September 15th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

A slump, as all the wheels in the cages are ultra-big wheels and they take forever to fill.

Tedd that's a shame about your cousin.

Those two Blazers without their roofs will flex like a mother.

Gonna try for the junkyard after work today. Tried yesterday but when I got off at the exit the whole street was crammed with traffic, all of it wanting to turn on the street that goes to the junkyard. No thanks, I turned around and went home.

Seems there's another fake amongst us. I really hope not but someone saying he wants to put a Chevelle grille on a 442? Not even close, just looking to stir. The only troll we should have to worry about is the one under the bridge who wants to eat the Three Billy Goats Gruff.

Ah, almost break. Don't want to miss that. Happy Thursday to all.

Old September 15th, 2022, 09:57 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - That's basically how I always cook a Filet Mignon. I have never ever had a Filet Mignon fail. Here's my recipe... I keep it tucked under the inside cover of my Joy Of Cooking.
This piece of beef is 4" thick...