The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2022, 06:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Whoa, felt like sleeping in, got up at 4 to come it at regular time. I got a good wall guy and a good robot guy, so we should be all set for the week.

That's some good work Norm. I believe all our planes go to Victorville. At the time it was called Southern California Aviation. The plane we took out there was bought by the Flying Hospital. They already had one L1011 and bought two of ours, I believe one to convert to another hospital and one for spares. We became the largest operator of the L10, I think we had 70 planes at one time.

John I'm not a fan of 134, either, but when it's what you have, it beats having to put the windows down when it's 90. Was power steering an option on the Monte Carlo? I would guess they all came with it.

I feel this is going to be a long week. We are supposed to have much cooler weather and sunshine all week, no rain. That is some good news.

Okay back to work. Happy Monday everyone.

Old September 12th, 2022, 06:48 AM

It's trying to rain and I have a bunch of tools exposed outside on tables.... Gotta go...Tedd
Old September 12th, 2022, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
All that's left now is shroud and radiator.
John - Nice job as usual! You're x10 better mechanic than I'll ever be!
Old September 12th, 2022, 08:59 AM

Good morning guys,

Bright sunshine and much cooler this morning. Don't know how low it got overnight, but it's still only 71° at 10:30.

It's been several weeks and events since my 4-4-2 has had a thorough cleaning, and the rain I got caught in Friday evening was the trigger for me to start in on a thorough cleaning/detailing job with several shows coming up. Got out fairly early and started in. Got the vinyl roof done with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Got the hood, deck lid, and all the upper stainless and chrome cleaned and polished with detailer spray. I still have the sides, chrome polishing of the bumpers, and vacuun/dusting of the interior to do. May do a little polishing of the chrome on the air cleaner and valve covers too, I haven't checked to see what they look like yet. I should get done in the next two mornings. I'll do the wheels last, I hate crawling around on the floor doing wheels.

Really need to decide today whether I am going to file a claim (hail damage) on my roof replacement and get on the roofer's schedule. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't I think, probably looking at a rate increase if I file a claim. Any of you guys have any experience with how much your homeowners policy goes up if you file a claim for roof replacement?

Well, my wife showed me something today that I just have to share. Don't know about you guys, but pretty sure this was a universal truth back in the day!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old September 12th, 2022, 09:40 AM

Chris, At my age, I never get down w/o a plan on how to get back up

Amazon has just what you need [and so do I]

Old September 12th, 2022, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, At my age, I never get down w/o a plan on how to get back up

Amazon has just what you need [and so do I]

Jim - Great idea! I actually have one of those and I use it to do the sides of the car and the bumpers. However, the wheels are too low and I have to bend over too much when sitting on the mobile stool. My lower back can't take long periods of bending over without giving me trouble. Easier for me to just do the wheels either sitting or laying on the floor. Not hard work, just takes awhile getting into the nooks and crannies. Thanks though!
Old September 12th, 2022, 10:45 AM
Jeff

Harbor Freight has a nice little pneumatic garage rolling stool that I picked up on sale for $25 a month ago. I like the ability to adjust up or down a bit. Has come in handy recently.

So.... Saturday was spent crawling around under the 64, using copious amounts of degreaser and a power washer. Definitely a huge improvement. Then I decided to wet sand some of the overspray from priming surface rust 20+ years ago, and proceeded to get carried away and went after any spot of visible rust on the sheet metal. Essentially, I was prepping the car for a potential buyer, but here it is Monday, and I haven't heard from him since Thursday. Cue the Hee-Haw song... "if it weren't fer bad luck, I'd have no luck at aaaallllllllllllllllll..."

Also noticed that both valve covers had weeping leaks. Snugged down the bolts a bit, leaks are gone.
Old September 12th, 2022, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Essentially, I was prepping the car for a potential buyer, but here it is Monday, and I haven't heard from him since Thursday. Cue the Hee-Haw song... "if it weren't fer bad luck, I'd have no luck at aaaallllllllllllllllll..."
Jeff - Don't know if you saw my response to Jim or not, but I have a stool like you described, but it doesn't get me low enough to clean wheels without alot of bending over still with my lower back. I've found it's easier for me just sitting or laying on the floor.

Sure hope the prospective buyer gets back with you! People can be so rude and disrespectful. Can't begin to list all the $hit my wife has had to endure as part of her furniture refinishing. I'd just like to slap them all silly! Good luck!
Old September 12th, 2022, 12:06 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jeff - Don't know if you saw my response to Jim or not, but I have a stool like you described, but it doesn't get me low enough to clean wheels without alot of bending over still with my lower back. I've found it's easier for me just sitting or laying on the floor.

Sure hope the prospective buyer gets back with you! People can be so rude and disrespectful. Can't begin to list all the $hit my wife has had to endure as part of her furniture refinishing. I'd just like to slap them all silly! Good luck!
Oops, I skimmed right over that part about already having one. Lazy Monday reader I am.

The potential buyer has been really respectful; in fact, that was why he called on Thursday. He is quite a distance away, though, and his work hours aren't making it easy, either. I texted him after my earlier comment, so I'm just staying positive at this point. Weather has been ***** the past 2 days, so I haven't been able to get outside, jack the car up, and get some good pics of the underside -- gotta keep holding his interest, right?
Old September 12th, 2022, 12:21 PM

That's gotta be the longest lower radiator spring I have ever seen. Wow, those cars have a lot of room between the engine and the radiator.
The fan shroud looks like a wind tunnel.

I had similar issues with that lower hose spring wanting to wind up in the water pump, so eventually just didn't put it back in, and it's been like that ever since with no issues.

Last edited by Fun71; September 12th, 2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old September 12th, 2022, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Oops, I skimmed right over that part about already having one. Lazy Monday reader I am.

The potential buyer has been really respectful; in fact, that was why he called on Thursday. He is quite a distance away, though, and his work hours aren't making it easy, either. I texted him after my earlier comment, so I'm just staying positive at this point. Weather has been ***** the past 2 days, so I haven't been able to get outside, jack the car up, and get some good pics of the underside -- gotta keep holding his interest, right?
No problem, I have done the same thing more than once.

Hope the guy comes to see the car and buys it!
Old September 12th, 2022, 12:49 PM

Mike, the Montes came with power steering standard. The Chevelles had it as an option. AC was an option on both cars. I don't have the Chevy equivalent of the Olds SPECS book; don't even know what it's called, but I would like to see something like "power steering required for C-60 Air Conditioning." The trick is that very few cars had no power steering, and it was for cost, so, by choice, AC almost certainly isn't there. Considering the AC has its own tensioner, and you would get more pulley contact, I bet a properly sized belt would drive AC without power steering pulley routing, and the only reason it goes around the PS pulley is because it's in the way.

Chris, easy tips to be a halfway decent garage hack. Decent tools, a spot to leave the car, and plenty of time. Half of my time is getting parts and tools and learning new tools. I hadn't used a belt tension gauge since I set up the belt tensioner on the Corolla line in Mississippi 12 years ago, so needed a refresher. That piece of equipment was neat, air over hydraulic power, put one ram on the crank pulley, one on the alt pulley, hit the two triggers, BAM extended, leave it there and run the alternator clamp bolt down, then release tool. Team member would also put belt on, all in 58 seconds. Our guys move.
Old September 12th, 2022, 12:52 PM

Not much going on here. Got 2 1/2" inches of rain yesterday and this a.m. The Lions lost....nothing new there. Stopped at my buddies place on Sat. to see how his garage is coming along. He has a three stall attached to his house, but last fall had a 20'x30' one built behind his house. It's starting to look like a doctors office waiting room, with a finished ceiling, epoxied floor (that spatter looking stuff) and stained wainscot all around. I noticed that he had a portable a/c unit running, and he said a couple of weeks ago his wife came out while he was working out there, and complained that it was hot. Two days later, the unit was sitting at his front door, as she ordered it for him! It is also a heater to boot. We shot the b.s. with a beer, and noted progress on his Olds's (multiple). Looks like we'll be headed to Purestock this Sat. I have to plot a return from Purestock that detours us from our normal route, as there is a bakery/meat store that I want to check out. Blueberry fritters sound pretty good to me.
Old September 12th, 2022, 01:08 PM

Chris, easy tips to be a halfway decent garage hack. Decent tools, a spot to leave the car, and plenty of time. Half of my time is getting parts and tools and learning new tools. I hadn't used a belt tension gauge since I set up the belt tensioner on the Corolla line in Mississippi 12 years ago, so needed a refresher. That piece of equipment was neat, air over hydraulic power, put one ram on the crank pulley, one on the alt pulley, hit the two triggers, BAM extended, leave it there and run the alternator clamp bolt down, then release tool. Team member would also put belt on, all in 58 seconds. Our guys move.
John - Good tips! I have the place to work on the car out of the weather, decent set of tools, and plenty of time. I could certainly use a little more patience! I don't have many speciality tools, and I'm absolutely horrible with anything electrical. At least I'm not too proud to ask "how do I" if I get stuck with something.
Old September 12th, 2022, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
The Lions lost....nothing new there.
Dan - Ya just have to sit and scratch your head and wonder how a team can be that horrible for that long with a draft system thats designed specifically to help them improve???

I never met a fritter I didn't like, apple or cherry, and blueberry sounds especially delicious!
Old September 12th, 2022, 02:21 PM

I never met a fritter I didn't like, apple or cherry, and blueberry sounds especially delicious!
X 2 conch is my favorite actually more like a hush puppy

On second thought, What y'all are calling 'fritters" we might call fried pies or as my mother referred to the as left's and rights

Old September 12th, 2022, 02:39 PM

On second thought, What y'all are calling 'fritters" we might call fried pies or as my mother referred to the as left's and rights

Jim - What you posted a pic of is what I call a "fried pie".

Here's a pic of what I'm calling a fritter. A somewhat doughy, deep fried pastry, usually with bits of fruit in the dough, and usually glazed with a light icing. Notice the bits of apple in it.

Old September 12th, 2022, 02:50 PM

Hi guys,

Well I pulled the trigger today and called my homeowner's insurance agent and filed a claim on my hail damaged roof and gutters. The adjuster is already coming out tomorrow morning at 0900 to look at it. The Project Lead of the roofing contractor that I want to do the work is also going to be here when the adjuster comes. The roofing contractor I chose is the cheaper of the two quotes I have in hand. I hope the damn adjuster doesn't try to give us a "song and dance"!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; September 12th, 2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old September 12th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Running On Empty

Younger brothers headed to the U.P. (Michigan) after H.S. (I was in the U.S.A.F.). Upon my return to the area they said they were having pasties. My mind heads directly to thoughts of many nice pasties I've witnessed. Turns out to be a different variety.

Rachel Cook pasties.

Cornish (Finish) pasties.

Old September 12th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Running On Empty

A fritter will send me to the *******.

Here's a pic of what I'm calling a fritter. A somewhat doughy, deep fried pastry, usually with bits of fruit in the dough, and usually glazed with a light icing. Notice the bits of apple in it.

Old September 12th, 2022, 03:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
That's gotta be the longest lower radiator spring I have ever seen.
^^x2^^
Old September 12th, 2022, 03:22 PM
Running On Empty

Hi guys,

Well I pulled the trigger today and called my homeowner's insurance agent and filed a claim on my hail damaged roof and gutters. The adjuster is already coming out tomorrow morning at 0900 to look at it. The Project Lead of the roofing contractor that I want to do the work is also going to be here when the adjuster comes. The roofing contractor I chose is the cheaper of the two quotes I have in hand. I hope the damn adjuster doesn't try to give us a "song and dance"!
I think you'll be surprised to find the adjuster happy to see/have the roofing contractor project lead on-site. They're most often on the same page. To answer an earlier question you asked. I filed a roofing repair job w/ my insurance company (Frontline) after hurricane Dorian. Oh yeah, my premium went up. The claim was $11K.
Old September 12th, 2022, 03:32 PM
Running On Empty

The only conch (stock photo) I've eaten was when I resided in Florida. Actually rather tasty. I'm a big fan of escargot, as well.

Old September 12th, 2022, 03:33 PM

Well, the radiator hose spring is stretched as I just pulled it out. I rewound it and put it in the new hose.

Right now, I am dealing with fitting the new radiator in. They are the same width, and I am going to double check same height. Both bottom cradles seem good to go, but, as the right side tank is thicker, they located the smaller one with a narrower rubber on the top plate. Also am dicking with fan shroud matchup. If I can get away with this with replacing one rubber cradle, I will be happy.

I am a depraved man, as I think I can identify said babe above. I think that's Rachel Cook, who is a softcore nude model, along with other modeling. She does something interesting, which is run her hair different ways. Straight hair makes her look white, but cornrows and a tan makes her look like a light skinned black. Guess she can pull both markets then.
Old September 12th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Running On Empty

I am a depraved man, as I think I can identify said babe above.
Good guess, John - since that's what my caption reads.
Old September 12th, 2022, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Good guess, John - since that's what my caption reads.
I didn't read the caption as the text was too small to register.
Old September 12th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

I didn't read the caption as the text was too small to register.
You still win.
Old September 12th, 2022, 04:04 PM

I think you'll be surprised to find the adjuster happy to see/have the roofing contractor project lead on-site. They're most often on the same page. To answer an earlier question you asked. I filed a roofing repair job w/ my insurance company (Frontline) after hurricane Dorian. Oh yeah, my premium went up. The claim was $11K.
Norm - First quote I got was $16.5K to only tear off and replace the roof. Second quote was $14K to tear off and replace roof, and an option to remove and replace existing gutters, downspouts, and drip edge for an additional $1.5K. The 2nd guy said he found numerous spots of hail damage in gutters, downspouts, and drip edge facing the direction the storm came from. I'm going to take the 2nd guy up on the option. Oh, forgot to say the 2nd guys quote stated a warranty on workmanship twice as long as the 1st guy.
Old September 12th, 2022, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

Roofers are bandits...you're right to do your due diligence homework...
Old September 12th, 2022, 04:10 PM

I paid 18 in 2014 for a roof. They also did my small garage and the house had two layers of shingles, so I figured it was close to right.
Old September 12th, 2022, 04:29 PM

Well, I am not that lucky. A few radiator sized related items present with my Chevy. The new 3 core radiator has the same size driver's tank, but the passenger tank is thicker, with more leading towards the back of the car, the front edge is the same. Radiator is same height.

I pulled the "locator" rubber cradle out of the top plate to see if it would fit. It will fit the core support and the top plate; I just need a new rubber cradle foot. This car has a specific issue due to its past, my grandfather hit someone who was, and I quote, "parked on the interstate." He did get the car mostly stopped. Bumper, grille, and hood were toast, and my grandma's Slavic noggin took out the windshield. This was in 86 when she was 78. Lady trooped on to 100, so it was just another obstacle for her. How this is relevant now is the condenser was bowed inwards, and the two core radiator occupies the BACK of the tanks, relative front to back. This new radiator is 3 core and it occupies ALL the tanks, front to back, minus the rear extension on the passenger side previously mentioned. All that being said, the bowed condenser almost touches the radiator core, I think it will be ok. I may try to adjust a little bracketry and see if the condenser will ease forward 1/8 inch.

Biggest problem is the fan shroud clips on the bottom and locates to the top radiator plate and has an extension to almost touch the radiator fins on one side, but also the rear of the passenger tank, which is the one that is extended. So, I either need to butcher some other fan shroud, or get a top plate that is deeper to handle this bigger radiator / shroud stack up.

Old September 12th, 2022, 04:30 PM

Oh yes, had those in the Bahamas. Very good stuff! Then found cracked conch, and oh man, was I in heaven. Just as long as I didn't think of snails when I was eating it.
Old September 12th, 2022, 04:42 PM
Running On Empty

I had similar issues with that lower hose spring wanting to wind up in the water pump, so eventually just didn't put it back in, and it's been like that ever since with no issues.
I don't know this to be true from any experiences of mine, but I had read the lower radiator hoses they manufacture today are much stiffer & thicker than in the past - negating the need for an internal spring? Just curious.
Old September 12th, 2022, 04:45 PM

Roofers are bandits...you're right to do your due diligence homework...
Thanks Norm, I try!
Old September 12th, 2022, 04:53 PM

I don't know this to be true from any experiences of mine, but I had read the lower radiator hoses they manufacture today are much stiffer & thicker than in the past - negating the need for an internal spring? Just curious.
I never knew there were ever springs inside older radiator hoses to begin with until John posted the pics of the one in the Monte. That sure surprised me!
Old September 12th, 2022, 05:15 PM
Running On Empty

I never knew there were ever springs inside older radiator hoses to begin with until John posted the pics of the one in the Monte. That sure surprised me!
Kenneth may have some better insight as he worked in an automotive parts store for some time and most likely might recall.
Old September 12th, 2022, 06:51 PM

I have read that the springs were there for the manufacturing operations. Supposedly the cooling system was installed, then a vacuum system was used to pull the coolant into the system, and the spring in the lower hose was to prevent the hose from collapsing due to that vacuum. Duno if that is true or not, but the aftermarket quit putting springs in lower hoses eons ago. I have also read that with the cooling system operating at 15 or more PSI the lower hose can't collapse. Makes sense to me.
Old September 12th, 2022, 07:16 PM

I may pull it out and see how it does. These were bandaids on a very hot car my friend and I did.

Cut the edge of the shroud to fit, did it too sloppily, but at least it works now. Now all I need is a big tank rubber cradle and I can move forward.
Old September 12th, 2022, 07:19 PM

I have read that the springs were there for the manufacturing operations. Supposedly the cooling system was installed, then a vacuum system was used to pull the coolant into the system, and the spring in the lower hose was to prevent the hose from collapsing due to that vacuum. Duno if that is true or not, but the aftermarket quit putting springs in lower hoses eons ago. I have also read that with the cooling system operating at 15 or more PSI the lower hose can't collapse. Makes sense to me.
I am going to walk my happy *** over to LLC fill and watch if Highlanders have springs and if the hose collapses, because we use vacuum. We push the fluid in, but pull vacuum first just to get the air gone. It's pull vacuum, meet a vacuum level, fill to a pressure at the cap, then remove a set small amount.
Old September 13th, 2022, 04:19 AM

That's a old memory, I remember a spring being in some lower rad hoses, then not and I forgot about them. I'm with Ken, thinkin they quit putting them in. Who care except guys like us? Tomorrow neighbor and I are going to do the biggest and final part of new whole house generator install. Suposta be a nice warm sunny day- I hope so.....