The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2022, 07:19 AM

Good morning guys,

Grandson Keegan had a great 4th b-day yesterday and we had a great time watching him! They're so much fun at that age!

Wow, yesterday and today couldn't have been much more of a debacle in my motorsports events. I passed on trying to go to our local Pevely Days Car Show yesterday morning because of the high threat of rain. The show was supposed to be over by noon, so I could have went to the show and still been home in time to get to the party. Of course it didn't rain a drop!

Got home from the party and it was really nice out, sunshine and 10% or less chance of rain for the rest of the day. Thought hey, I'll go out for a couple hour ride. Got to my destination about an hour south of me and headed home. Sky was starting to get dark as I headed home and about 8-miles from home a pop-up unloaded on me. As it hadn't rained in awhile, the road became like grease, I know Norm knows what I mean. Got home safely, although I did have the **** end get a little loose on me a couple times. Not a pleasant feeling! Wife met me in the garage with a bunch of towels when I got home. She was really scared for me as it had hailed pretty hard at the house, but just luckily I missed that. Spent over 2-hours drying and cleaning on the bike.

Got up this morning excited about getting the car out to a show over in Maeystown, IL about 50-miles away. One of my buddies lives only 5-miles from there and was going to meet me there with one of his classic cars. Roads were dry in my area and forecast for the rest of the day was nothing but sunshine. Then, only about 1/2-hour before I was going to leave, I get a text from my buddy letting me know it rained very hard over at his place for about 2-hours late last night. Now the Show area was going to be a big grassy field in the City Park that sits down in a valley bottom with hills on both sides. No thanks, I'm not driving 50-miles over there just to find the show field a soupy, sloppy mess, not up for that. Strike three, I'm out!

Well, that was all my fun the last couple of days. Hope y'all have a great day!
Old August 21st, 2022, 07:56 AM

Chris, One of the advantages to a jeep they enjoy mud

I know I'm getting old when I'm standing in the grocery store check out line and don't recognize any of the "people" on the cover of People Magazine
Old August 21st, 2022, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

I know I'm getting old when I'm standing in the grocery store check out line and don't recognize any of the "people" on the cover of People Magazine
on both points!
Old August 21st, 2022, 08:48 AM

From the Jeep forum that I frequent:

Fun

Not fun

Old August 21st, 2022, 10:28 AM

Kenneth, 30 + years ago, I drove my old jeep into a spring head.that was covered with honey suckle [so I didn't see it] NOT fun but got it out with another Jeep and a logging chain

IMHO plowed fields after a down pour are the worst
Old August 21st, 2022, 10:44 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Long, long day yesterday. Got up around 2, left around 4, drove to Orlando, stayed an hour or so and drove home. Got home around 7. Tiger stayed home. That's a long day for him, too. Went to bed early. Just got back from getting groceries.

Kenneth is that guy stuck or is he just on a path?

Chris are you sure the towels were for the bike?

John shake hands with the head pin.

Norm what have you been eating?

Okay laundry and painting.

Old August 21st, 2022, 11:23 AM

Mike,
It's two different Jeeps.
The first pic the fella is on a road(?).
The next 2 pics the fella is definitely stuck.

Old August 21st, 2022, 11:53 AM

Kenneth, He need's an M 38 A 1 fording snorkel and water proof ignition IMHO
Old August 21st, 2022, 12:22 PM
Running On Empty

I've gone "where no man has gone before", at least I felt that way each of the several times I've had to abandon a tractor, plow, combine, rake, etc. Numerous times in agricultural fields - actually, nearly all of the time they involved agricultural fields. In nearly all cases you don't attempt to dig them out - you walk back to the barn/yard/house then wait (generally several days to a week) until the field dries up enough to get it out. Thinking of getting tractors stuck I once was with a guy who plowed into a hedge row made up of Bull Thistle and couldn't get the tractor out. The Bull Thistle was 8'-10' tall, about 40' wide and ran for 1/4 mile - and, this was not the only location(s) where some farmers were using Bull Thistle to contain cattle as a natural fence. I was absolutely amazed what some people do to farm cropland to create cattle borders. What nutcases and there are many of them out there.
BTW - These Bull Thistle instances were located in ND, SD & MN.
Old August 21st, 2022, 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=slantflat;1448129]
Chris are you sure the towels were for the bike?
[QUOTE]

Mike - Sounds like a long day, glad you got home safe. Come to think of it, she might have thought I'd need them to clean my ****, it was pretty puckered up by the time I made it home!
Old August 21st, 2022, 02:12 PM

Good evening guys,

Well, after yesterday's and this morning's debacles, I had a very nice 3-hour ride this afternoon! Beautiful out, sunny and low 80's, nice and cool on the bike with a t-shirt and vest.

Wife's making white chicken chili for dinner, that's always a treat! Ingredients are lots of shredded chicken, multiple cans of Rotel, black beans, corn, cream cheese, and some chili powder.

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!
Old August 21st, 2022, 05:22 PM

I grew up learning to drive my dad's rustbucket CJ-7 in the woods hunting. We were hunters, not mudders, or rock climbers; in other words, if you can miss the mud, do so. That being said, it was FL, and one does what one must. We did get stuck a few times, a couple times in an epic fashion.
Old August 22nd, 2022, 07:02 AM
Jeff

Heating / cooling tip of the day: if your wi-fi thermostat is showing a blank screen, don't immediately think it's the thermostat, wiring, or HVAC itself. Check first to see if your ac's drain pipe float switch has tripped. When it does, it cuts power to the whole system, thermostat included. Get out your plastic drain snake, and snake that p-trap in the drain line. Whoosh, water drains and you're back in business.

Don't waste $141 on a service call, only to have the tech think it's your thermostat, and then the problem comes right back when the p-trap backs up again and you're stuck with no ac. Tech didn't even mention the possibility that it was caused by the float switch (and hence a clogged drain line). After a few hours of me testing the thermostats, thermostat wiring, and board myself, I finally figured it out myself. "When you want something done right, do it yourself."

I do think that having a p-trap on the ac condensate drain line is a bit of overkill, but it must be a code requirement.
Old August 22nd, 2022, 02:27 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Jeff - Thanks for the tip on the auto shut-off if the drain is clogged!

Really nice day here for August in St. Louis. Sunny, lower humidity, and a high of only 85°. Worked out earlier this morning, and then went out to mow between 1300 to 1500. Plenty of exercise today, and now it's time to kick back and relax.

I was contacted this morning by the Deputy Director of my old work unit (job I held when I retired) and invited to their summer/fall picnic on September 15th. We used to have one every summer when I was working, but they haven't been allowed to organize work sponsored functions over the past 3-years because of Covid, so this will be the first one they've had since I've been gone. I'm going to try and go just to see who's still hanging around.

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!

Old August 22nd, 2022, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm what have you been eating?
Mike - Not anything of significance especially as it would relate to preparation of and cooking anything special.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 04:09 AM

Leaving this morning for the Old US27 motor Tour. It's our 14th or 17th- well been a long time. I'll try to get some pics. Leaving with top down, we'll see how long that will last, not real warm this morning. Cutlass is about 90 % clean. I have learned my lesson on really detailing the car before these cruises- no doubt we will hit rain, maybe within a hour or so.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 04:33 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

hehe pulled a fast one this morning. Yesterday I had a new wall guy and he was slow as hell. Not real conscientious, either. So today my good wall guy, who was cover guy yesterday had to go to the wall to fill in for someone else, and I said, change with that other guy would you? So he did. I expect today to be a lot more stress free.

Greg have a great time on the cruise. I wish I could do stuff like that. I'm not organized enough. Not to mention I don't have a car to take.

Jeff I think the P-trap keeps bugs from going up the drain line and getting into the condenser. Unless they can swim. The drain line for big commercial units have this weird twist at the end, like a pretzel.

Everyone is slow this morning, lots of the really big wheels coming through. I see some nose wheels coming, they go pretty fast.

Hope everyone has a good Tuesday.

Old August 23rd, 2022, 12:33 PM

Scammers are bad enough when you're [me] looking for a K-5 Now I'm getting th SOB's trying to by cemetery lots [not really buying looking for info
Old August 23rd, 2022, 12:35 PM

Hi guys

Posting just to get back on the thread. Like a true dumbass, I accidentally hit the "unsubscribe" function.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:48 PM

Scammers are bad enough when you're [me] looking for a K-5 Now I'm getting th SOB's trying to by cemetery lots [not really buying looking for info
Jim - Maybe your initial response to the cemetery scammers should be, "Why don't you come on over and you can try one out for size?"
Old August 23rd, 2022, 02:16 PM
Always room for one more

What a nice day it's been. Sunny, not too hot, not too humid. Work did okay, we finished up and left a few minutes early. Since it was nice out I did some mowing.

Jamesbo I think this is the age of scammers. I get probably half a dozen spam calls a day, about as many spam texts, dozens of ads in my email, I just ignore it. The phone rings and I don't recognize the number, it goes to voice mail. Took a long time to get to this point but I don't stress over it anymore.

You know what's funny, when I was little if we were driving in the car and there was mud or a big puddle I always wanted my Dad to go through it, but he never would. Now I know why he wouldn't. Besides making a huge mess you never know what lurks just under the surface, or how deep it is.

Okay dinner is ready. Have a good evening everyone, time for Hump Day.

Old August 23rd, 2022, 02:29 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I was just wondering to have it all come out as covid tests.
Mike - Your initial question regarding what I have been eating (which I now recognize as being funny) sailed over my head @ ~35K feet. I knew you originally posted the above quote because it came through in my e-mail, but you obviously deleted it. I still have in my possession 15 COVID-19 test kits with x2 tests/kit for a total of 30 COVID-19 tests.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 08:33 PM

Back to work with a vengeance. Pulled 12 yesterday by staying and working on the chains on one overhead carrier for the new model. One of the conveyors in one plant, as the engine/transmission unit reaches the end of the engine line, drops what we call an end effector, but it's really a below the hook lifting device, and it is a bar with many clip-able shackles on chains, held up by tool balancer spring spools. Pull down the hooks you want, clip them onto the engine's two hooks and the transaxle's 1 hook, and off it goes to suspension line. New model uses one hook from one previous type, one from another, and a third hook that is new. I couldn't tune it better since they had to use them unaltered, but one got taken offline for just me to work on as a guide for what happens to all of them at model change. So I fixed 75% of the problems. They need to try it out to get me more data.

Today I pulled 11 working on a combined transaxle pick end effector. It is bad. Everyone hates it. But, it does pick up FIVE different kinds of transaxles. I had to bring my manager because this recently promoted other manager is an *** hole, and my manager was worried I would rightfully tell him where to go and how to get there. This other manager is pissed no one consulted him or his engineer or line on this new device. We told him, one, he didn't have an engineer on the line back when it was bidded out, and two, we worked with the various pilot groups, who failed in involving the lines. Not our problem. My group is North American Toyota, and we work with the plant's pilot groups, who are supposed to work with the lines. The idea is pilot takes care of the lines, and we source the heavy equipment for them. There is always communication breakdown. It is ok when things are good results, but, this guy was pissed we were forcing it on him. I told his guy we were a service provider, they are welcome to take what we give them, or go on their own.
Old August 24th, 2022, 05:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got my slow wall guy back but he's doing okay so far. My most preferred wall guy is actually my robot guy today, so things will go well there.

Norm I was just being a wiseguy but explaining that two days later didn't seem like it made any sense so that's why I deleted it. Aren't you the clever one for seeing it anyway. Sometimes I will get a notification of a new post, two days after I've seen the post. Sometimes I never get them. Odd.

I'm trying to get some time off to go volunteer at my museum. The perfect week I can't get off because too many people are off already. Wouldn't you know it, that's when they will be moving cars around. They have this little tug that they tow the cars around with a strap, but there's a lot of pushing and pulling to be done, and I hate that it's only old guys doing the work. Besides that it would be cool seeing these cars actually moving. Some of them have sat in the same place since the museum opened.

I think we're getting rain the rest of the week. I wouldn't mind if we didn't. Lots of inside stuff to do.

Okay break time. Have a good Hump Day everyone.

Old August 24th, 2022, 07:31 AM

having a brain hiccup, What is the 1st name of Anderson in Tampa that always advertises in Juno W-30 etc
Old August 24th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Back to work with a vengeance.
John - Lot to unpack in those 2 paragraphs, and I won't profess to understand exactly how your engineering group is supposed to interact between the Pilot groups vs. the work groups on the actual lines, but I believe you hit the nail on the head when you identified there is a communication breakdown on how the whole equipment improvement process is supposed to work. Likely, the group you were trying to work with doesn't even understand how the process is "supposed" to work, but the other possibility is that it's just $hitty process? Regardless, work is never any fun when different entities will not play nice in the sandbox! Sure doesn't make your job any easier, I feel for ya!
Old August 24th, 2022, 09:52 AM

Good morning guys,

Jim - Sorry, I don't know the guy you're asking about.

Not much going on today, no big plans or chores. Went out awhile ago and sprayed some areas of my front and side lawn for Yellow Nutsedge. That crap starts to get bad around here this time of summer every year and is hard to kill out without damaging the grass.

Wife wants to go up to the local pool and sunbathe tomorrow. They have an Adults Only area, and I think she just likes to go up there to shoot the $hit with the other women. To each their own, she doesn't ask for much, and does so much for me. Definitely not my scene though, I like being in the water if I'm doing something fun like dunking the grandkids or water sking etc., but baking in the sun just to bake is not my idea of relaxation.

There's a car show this coming Saturday to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation that I'm planning on going to if the weather cooperates. I went to this one last season and it was a fun show, put on by nice folks. They've relocated it this year, actually closer to me.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 24th, 2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old August 24th, 2022, 10:08 AM
Running On Empty

42/35
9-Hole Shootout tonight. Olive Garden for lunch.
Old August 24th, 2022, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
42/35
9-Hole Shootout tonight. Olive Garden for lunch.
Good luck this evening Norm!
Old August 24th, 2022, 10:39 AM
Running On Empty

Chris, Thanks. 9-Hole Shootout has treated me well this year. Olive Garden really is a decent enough eatery - consistent modestly priced.
Old August 24th, 2022, 10:43 AM

Chris, Thanks. 9-Hole Shootout has treated me well this year. Olive Garden really is a decent enough eatery - consistent modestly priced.
Norm - Yes, you've definitely played well in the shootouts this year. Agree with you on Olive Garden, I like their food/prices, we just don't have any real close to us or we'd probably go more often.
Old August 24th, 2022, 10:48 AM

Bruce Anderson is the expensive guy in FL.

Curt Anderson is the 66-67 W-30 expert.
Old August 24th, 2022, 10:49 AM

Wife just finished this pretty piece yesterday. Sure isn't much selling right now though. I think folks are tapped out from spending $'s on vacations, and worry about continuing inflation.

Old August 24th, 2022, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Bruce Anderson is the expensive guy in FL.

Curt Anderson is the 66-67 W-30 expert.

Tanks
Old August 24th, 2022, 11:59 AM
Running On Empty

Since the inception of the new The *NEW* Good Morning Thread! on January 16th, 2011 there have been 43,153 posts averaging 4018 posts/year or 11 posts/day.

Old August 24th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Running On Empty

Out of 361 respondents who identified the type of Oldsmobile they owned; 31% Modified, 25% Pure Stock, 23% Restored Stock (Sum = 79% of total respondents)

Old August 24th, 2022, 12:40 PM

Out of 361 respondents who identified the type of Oldsmobile they owned; 31% Modified, 25% Pure Stock, 23% Restored Stock (Sum = 79% of total respondents)

Norm - Don't mean to be a nitpicking, but wouldn't the total % of "Modifieds" be the 31% of the "Slightly Modifieds" plus the 17% of "Moderately Modifieds" for a total of 48% "Modifieds"? Just sayin . . . ?
Old August 24th, 2022, 01:42 PM

What Do I win?
Old August 24th, 2022, 05:14 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Don't mean to be a nitpicking, but wouldn't the total % of "Modifieds" be the 31% of the "Slightly Modifieds" plus the 17% of "Moderately Modifieds" for a total of 48% "Modifieds"? Just sayin . . . ?
What I "should" have said was 31% "Slightly" Modified, 25% Pure Stock, 23% Restored Stock = 79% of Total Respondents.
Old August 24th, 2022, 05:30 PM

What Do I win?
You win and Norm is paying up soon... Tedd