The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

So it was 60mph tops on the way home today, in second gear. Only 3500rpm. I was afraid to go any faster, redline is something like 6000 but I thought if the trans tried to shift up to 3rd the whole thing would blow up. Driving in front of the TOC when it was cold, it would try 3rd and just rev. And it slipped more in 1st. I think it's about dead.

I saw all that stuff at the Space Center many moons ago. Pretty cool. Took all the tours. The Space Shuttle was on the big crawler but the door thing was closed over it because a storm was coming. So we didn't get to see the shuttle. But fast forward a few years, and I was flying out of Daytona and the shuttle was on the pad again, with the door thing open. We weren't all that high and had a beautiful view.

So the nitrogen system never did get fixed. Supposedly some parts are on their way and it will be fixed some time this evening. So the lead said, with a straight face, he needs people to come in at midnight. A couple people said maybe and he told them to go ahead home. Suddenly about 99% of the crew said they could maybe come in, so they all went home. I knew I wasn't going in so I stayed until regular time. Me and I think four other people. We'll see how many actually do come in.

Got part of a closet painted today. It was a tight space and it was killing me getting up and down so I said enough. I'll do some more tomorrow. Hell it will probably take all week to get it all done. Actually if it doesn't rain I'm going to work outside tomorrow.

Old August 15th, 2022, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I saw all that stuff at the Space Center many moons ago. Pretty cool. Took all the tours. The Space Shuttle was on the big crawler but the door thing was closed over it because a storm was coming. So we didn't get to see the shuttle. But fast forward a few years, and I was flying out of Daytona and the shuttle was on the pad again, with the door thing open. We weren't all that high and had a beautiful view.
Mike - The day those pics were taken I was being given a private tour by the lead engineer from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory who was responsible for the successful integration/loading of the Mission's radar system into the bay of the shuttle Endeavor. The radar system was going to be capable of mapping in extreme detail 80% of the Earth's surface during an 11-day mission. As our Agency's subject matter expert on the data that would be collected, I was at the Cape and in Mission Control for the launch on February 11th, 2000, and for the next 11-days, monitoring the download of the data from Space as it was collected to make sure the system was operating correctly. Definitely the legacy project of my career. If you're interested in reading more, just Google STS-99, and read the Wikipedia article.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; August 15th, 2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old August 15th, 2022, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...80% of the Earth's surface...
47 million miles...impressive. Could probably see mice copulating.
Old August 15th, 2022, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
47 million miles...impressive. Could probably see mice copulating.
Basically, 80% of the Earth's surface equates to all the land and sea area from 60° North Latitude to 60° South Latitude. Not much of interest in the areas of the poles. In addition to the radar imagery, high resolution elevation data was calculated through the process of interferometry over an interval of 30-meter by 30-meter grid pattern over the entire area. The elevation data combined with the co-registered imagery is how the incredible 3D terrain rendering of the Earth's surface was produced.
Old August 15th, 2022, 06:23 PM

Good evening guys,

So, today was not an extremely high energy day. My wife sprung a request on me to go pick up a piece of furniture for her when a lady accepted her counter offer on an old desk. Can't even remotely think of saying no when it comes to helping Momma with her hobby when she's so tolerant of mine! Here's a couple pieces she just finished over the past couple of days. I especially like the first one. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the top on the 1st pic is a dark walnut stained natural woodgrain finish. The refinishing style is called "Ombre" which means a gradation of tones of color. Note the black on the bottom of the legs, then darker gray up through lighter and lighter gray up to the top.

Later this afternoon, I was playing with various style filters on my phone picture software and came up with these two renditions of our dogs. I'm going to have them made into some larger sized prints to give to my wife for some special occasion in the future.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old August 15th, 2022, 06:36 PM
Banned

Finding out the 1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme came today I inherited.Started on the pedal extensions today.Had my eye exam,always came out good and did not.Found an astigmatism in my left eye,getting eye glasses.At 43,knew this was going to happen
Old August 15th, 2022, 09:24 PM

Kenneth, once upon a time you told me how I can get the screen on the computer to be bigger. With this new computer the screen for CO is so freaking small I can hardly see anything. Can you tell me again I forgot.
Mike,
I suspect you need to change the screen resolution. The procedure likely depends upon your operating system (which version of Windows it has) and I am not good with Win 10. Try right clicking on the main screen and look for a display setting. I don’t have a Win10 computer to give you step by step instructions.
Old August 16th, 2022, 02:21 AM

Chris, I love the pics, Until I read what you wrote, I thought they were drawn
Old August 16th, 2022, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I love the pics, Until I read what you wrote, I thought they were drawn
Jim - Yes, it would really be something if they were hand sketches! I think the filter function on the photo editor may have even been called "sketch". Still think they look cool though and it will be interesting to see how they look as larger prints.
Old August 16th, 2022, 03:17 AM

Chris, Have you thought about printing them out of a textured paper. Not gloss
Old August 16th, 2022, 03:20 AM

Mike - In regard to the size of the text display on your new computer. Go to the list of functions/applications on your computer, find Settings, under Settings find Display, under Display find Font Size, under Font Size there should be a slide bar where you can adjust the size of the displayed Font. Good Luck!
Old August 16th, 2022, 03:28 AM

Chris, Have you thought about printing them out of a textured paper. Not gloss
Jim - Good idea, I think I know where you're going with it.. I have not decided where I'm going to have them printed yet, or the process. However, I know there is a photo printing process on matte type paper that's designed to look like the picture has been hand painted. That particular process was around even way back in the 70's because my Mom had one done of both my Highschool and College graduation pictures.
Old August 16th, 2022, 04:03 AM

Chris, Dawn's work looks awesome as always. Love those dog pics (sketches?) About 20 years ago I saw a neat oil painting of my friend and his daughter at her wedding. I asked about it and found you can send in a favorite picture and they will make a pattern as a oil painting of it. I sent in a pic we liked and wifey painted it. It's really cool. I like those "sketches" looks like a faster/easier way to make a picture look drawn. Neat! Weather has been beautiful! I am getting used to it as commonplace- not good- I need to remember how nice this is and take advantage of it. Soon it will be getting cold.. UGH...
Old August 16th, 2022, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, Dawn's work looks awesome as always. Love those dog pics (sketches?) About 20 years ago I saw a neat oil painting of my friend and his daughter at her wedding. I asked about it and found you can send in a favorite picture and they will make a pattern as a oil painting of it. I sent in a pic we liked and wifey painted it.
Greg - Cool that your wife painted one of your favorite pictures! I've been searching the net this morning, and there are various companies that will take your pic and transfer to paint on stretched canvas frames. Cost varies by size, but not as expensive as you might think, most 16" x 16" were around $25 - $30. Going to have to take some more time and read some reviews before ordering. Thank you for the compliment on Dawn's refinishing, much appreciated! Sad thing is nothing much is selling right now with the inflation and folks spending their spare cash on vacations. I hope it picks up for her when kids are back in school and inflation comes down a bit (crossing my fingers, but at least gas is a little better).
Old August 16th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Running On Empty

Old August 16th, 2022, 06:16 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Mike,
I suspect you need to change the screen resolution. The procedure likely depends upon your operating system (which version of Windows it has) and I am not good with Win 10. Try right clicking on the main screen and look for a display setting. I don’t have a Win10 computer to give you step by step instructions.
Kenneth - You were close. However, screen resolution is the number of pixels/square inch (density). You can expand (decrease) or collapse (increase) the density of pixels/square inch to adjust screen resolution.
Old August 16th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - You were close. However, screen resolution is the number of pixels/square inch (density). You can expand (decrease) or collapse (increase) the density of pixels/square inch to adjust screen resolution.
Lunch time. I re-read what Mike wanted to o. Perhaps I misspoke and it is actually the entire size of the screen Mike wants to change. I may have misinterpreted what Mike was trying to accomplish (but I was trying to keep it simple w/o a discussion of contrast/detail/pixels/refresh rate/video graphics, etc.

Mike - At any rate, if you look at the images I posted you can easily find the Scale and Layout section and click on the Display Resolution (perhaps it was changed but it should have been set to the best resolution for you laptop/tablet or whatever you have. From the 'drop-down' menu on the right, just change it to one you think looks appropriate for what you're attempting to accomplish. You 'may' need to go under 'Related Settings' and adjust the 'Refresh Rate (drop-down menu to the right). It should be set to 60Hz (which is optimum); but, that's for best default refresh rate for you default video graphics card. I'm perplexed why CO would be so small.
Old August 16th, 2022, 01:26 PM

Norm, do you know of an on line program where I can build my [desired] 72 Blazer painted Magnetic green with a tan soft top and tan interior

Tanks in Advance
Old August 16th, 2022, 01:36 PM
Running On Empty

Last years 2’ black rat snake in the back yard is now ~5’ long. He’s a healthy eater.
Old August 16th, 2022, 02:03 PM

Lunch time. I re-read what Mike wanted to o. Perhaps I misspoke and it is actually the entire size of the screen Mike wants to change. I may have misinterpreted what Mike was trying to accomplish (but I was trying to keep it simple w/o a discussion of contrast/detail/pixels/refresh rate/video graphics, etc.

Mike - At any rate, if you look at the images I posted you can easily find the Scale and Layout section and click on the Display Resolution (perhaps it was changed but it should have been set to the best resolution for you laptop/tablet or whatever you have. From the 'drop-down' menu on the right, just change it to one you think looks appropriate for what you're attempting to accomplish. You 'may' need to go under 'Related Settings' and adjust the 'Refresh Rate (drop-down menu to the right). It should be set to 60Hz (which is optimum); but, that's for best default refresh rate for you default video graphics card. I'm perplexed why CO would be so small.
Norm,
I interpreted Mike's post as needing to make what's on the screen overall look larger, which means changing the display resolution. We have to do that with the computers at work often as Microsoft / Windows doesn't interact well with the various ancient monitors were have in the laboratory, such as the 4:3 ratio monitors on various systems with computers that got "upgraded" to Win10 and afterwards the display was totally messed up.
Old August 16th, 2022, 02:24 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Norm,
I interpreted Mike's post as needing to make what's on the screen overall look larger, which means changing the display resolution. We have to do that with the computers at work often as Microsoft / Windows doesn't interact well with the various ancient monitors were have in the laboratory, such as the 4:3 ratio monitors on various systems with computers that got "upgraded" to Win10 and afterwards the display was totally messed up.
Right-on. The fact he said CO was small was confusing. Perhaps he meant the entire screen resolution was small. At any rate....oh well....
Old August 16th, 2022, 02:29 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, do you know of an on line program where I can build my [desired] 72 Blazer painted Magnetic green with a tan soft top and tan interior

Tanks in Advance
Jim - No, sorry.
Old August 16th, 2022, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

I was tempted to pick up the black rat snake for ***** & giggles - I used to pick them up & lots of critters when I was a kid. I'd have to wear a long-sleeved shirt because they usually bite you, but with a shirt they can't bite you. If they bite you they don't let go you have to literally lift their head off your skin. And, when you do they usually leave a half dozen of their tiny teeth embedded in your skin. They're not long teeth, they're bent backwards so whatever they catch won't get away. I think the worst part is when you pick them up you have to hold their tail away from you because they'll squirt/expel this vile/nasty smelling white **** which smells disgusting.
Old August 16th, 2022, 02:46 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I would count today as a giant fail for the wheel and brake shop. Plenty of people came in at midnight and they said everything was a cluster. They signed off 103 wheels so the lead said oh, we can do 160 for the regular shift. I think we reached half. Everyone was tired, everyone said they wouldn't do that again. But the foreman came by and said we were doing a hell of a job.

I didn't go in at 12 but I was tired all day. I didn't sleep real well last night, Tiger was quiet all night, just couldn't get to sleep. I'm over at Mom's and will fix something to eat, then go home and go to bed. Maybe I'll sleep better tonight. I don't feel like doing anything today.

Yes you guys this new computer shows everything so small. I don't know why the manufacturer thought this would be a good idea. Last time whatever it was I did only affected Classic Olds, so I will give it a shot and then do that to every website I look at. This wasn't a very expensive machine, all things considered.

Nice out, overcast a little and not too hot. No rain but I think it's coming back. It doesn't have to.

So the dogmobile I'm afraid is dead. I stopped by the trans place and he said they don't even work on them, they just get a new one. Looking online they are around 2600, and he said even if they did rebuild it, it would be 3500+ . Well that's what the van is worth. Not to mention the engine and the rest of the car still has 160K on it. And I need to get the AC fixed. I don't know what to do. Maybe the perfect solution will come to me in my dreams.

Okay Tuesday is down, three more to go. Hope everyone has a good evening. Another fabulous morning this morning.

Old August 16th, 2022, 03:21 PM
Banned

Mad at an ex and told him ready not to speak to him.This ex has a son with me,left when my son was 3 months old.Seen him at the gas station for the first time.Saw I was mad and left after paying for the gas I pumped in my truck this morning.
Old August 16th, 2022, 04:57 PM
Always room for one more

Well thanks guys that was exactly what I wanted, so now I'm not standing on my head almost to read the tiny words on the screen. And big surprise it worked on every website, so win!

Beautiful evening out. Gonna head home in a minute. Somehow I need to get both the truck and the car over to my house, which will be a trick with no one around to help me. I could put the car up on the trailer I guess.

John are you close to that house that exploded?

No luck finding a used or rebuilt trans for the dogmobile. The first time I looked I found several and they were all north of 2500. The second time I looked I didn't see any of those ads and everything said out of stock, unavailable, etc. And used vehicles are more than what I paid for mine 6 years ago and have more miles. Hm.

Okay good night everyone.

Old August 17th, 2022, 02:48 AM

Well, Not to take no [from Norm] for an answer, Somewhere there has to be a program that will allow me to take a 72 K 5 Blazer and play with exterior and interior colors. I may have reached my level of incompetence But I'm still on the hunt
Old August 17th, 2022, 03:52 AM

Mike we took a trip up to the Upper Peninsula about 20 yrs ago in a Chevy Van pulling a 22' travel trailer. Got all the way up there and went around a corner up by White Fish Point and smelled hot and trans started to slip. Got out and looked it over, Trans fluid all over under van. Now only had 2nd gear out of 4. Drove slowly to a roadside park and ate lunch, hoping it might cool down and work again- No, it didn't. So... Thought about cost of getting van and trailer back home (double tow bill) and decided to head home and get as far as it would go. Went back over Mackinac bridge and took Old 27 and other 2 lane old highways back- Made it at 35 MPH, took about 7 hrs! I would pull over and let people pass but sometimes I still had some people yell and give me the finger-( that always helps). Turned out to be a trip we've never forgot. Anyway next day I went out to bring van into garage. As soon as I put in gear engine quit- Yep lock up converter had locked up. I had made it home with no more miles left in that transmission! Ahh good times in hindsight. Seems like the 700 R4 trans was about 6-700 back then rebuilt, I replaced it. Later I had another 700 Trans go out on a 98 Chevy van, pulling a pontoon boat. I think your Dog Mobile is a newer Chev Van? Good luck with it.
Old August 17th, 2022, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Greg - I know nothing about Hemming's Auctions, but I found my car on their regular Classic Car classified section. I have no idea how much they charge for their classified ads? Do you know?
Looks like a hundred bucks??? OH no not for the classified ad, but for them to do a online auction of your car. Then buyer arranges to pick it up at your place, that's how I think it goes, probably too good to be true, but I think I would check it out if I were selling a classic car.
Old August 17th, 2022, 05:13 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I am at the point now, before break, where I ended yesterday. Maybe the lead had a talk with his boy who knows.

Greg you probably could have driven another 200 miles on that trans, but when it stopped it was done. People giving you the finger? That wasn't very nice. Couldn't they see you were having trouble? Was I in that line? The dogmobile is a 2010 Ford Transit Connect. I should have sold that guy over the winter like I wanted to, so no one would know the AC didn't work.

I'm going to finish painting the closet at Mom's after work today. I think we're going to get rain today so nothing outside. I'm not real sure I'm happy with the color I chose. I was looking for 1965 Chevy Evening Orchid, but the paint dried a lot darker than the chip. It's just regular lavender. Eh, no turning back now.

Almost break. Hope everyone enjoys their Hump Day.

Old August 17th, 2022, 05:56 AM

Mike,
while looking for a Green K5 Blazer I came across this deal and couldn't turn it down. I'll let ya have it for a song. BRG MG ['M" word']

Old August 17th, 2022, 06:25 AM
Always room for one more

I'd rather have the one behind it.

Old August 17th, 2022, 08:29 AM

Mike, What is that a 140/ 120?

Lump crabmeat with Roulade sauce for lunch

Old August 17th, 2022, 08:37 AM
Always room for one more

Not the Jag, the Tiger. The Tiger is actually behind the Jag. Although I wouldn't through that Jag out of bed for eating crackers.

Old August 17th, 2022, 09:06 AM

Not the Jag, the Tiger. The Tiger is actually behind the Jag. Although I wouldn't through that Jag out of bed for eating crackers.
Gottcha
Old August 17th, 2022, 10:02 AM
Running On Empty

Pretty sure that's a 1969 MGB MkII Roadster. I'd be happy to take it. Although it would look better w/ the tan leather interior.
Old August 17th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Always room for one more

Just noticed the MG, the Tiger, and the Jag are all right hand drive. I'm quite certain I'd have little trouble driving a RHD car here. I'm also certain I would have little trouble driving a LHD car over there on their RHD roads. But I'm rather certain I would end up in the ditch immediately driving a RHD car over there.

Old August 17th, 2022, 11:16 AM

Back at work. Spent the last ten days in FL being chief dog sitter, cook, driver, errand boy, gardener, launderer, and general minder for my mom who had some outpatient orthoscopic shoulder surgery done. Drove down to Nashville a week ago, walked around Vandy where I did undergrad, then drove the next day to FL. Hung out with mom and beagle, then went and saw dad for a day while mom went to day before surgery visits. Took dog to day kennel and her to surgery while battling a nail in the tire that needed air every few hours. Surgery delayed, went and got dog. Got back, waited and waited on mom, got mom. Went home and hung out for a few days doing all the above tasks for mom.

Took dog to kennel for a couple weeks after a week of this, went and saw dad, helped him fire up various old engines and drive various old vehicles. 67 bronco in bad shape, 71 corvette in good shape, 80 fisher marine with 40 horse mercury. Took custody of two reel to reel tape decks and a large amount of tapes and some firearms. Drove back to mom, hung out for a day with her, another store trip and other things. Drove home yesterday, saw a friend for dinner in Nashville on way, some 834 miles. Unloaded, slept, turned car in this AM, went to work.
Old August 17th, 2022, 02:01 PM

John - I'm sure you didn't miss work, but I'd bet you're glad to get home and relax! Sounds like a very hectic trip, but I'm sure your parents enjoyed and appreciated your company. I hope your Mom's surgery went well, and that she heals up soon. I'm sure there will be a long period of PT and that's always tough at their age. Glad you made the trip safely!
Old August 17th, 2022, 03:36 PM

Good evening guys,

Kept pretty busy today with plenty of exercise. I was contacted by the President of the Archway Oldsmobile Club last night for a couple of favors. The first was asking if I would write up a little blurb about the Club's annual "All Oldsmobile Fun Show" scheduled for 25 September, and post it on CO along with the flyer. I did that this morning, and you can see it in the "Clubhouse" forum if you want to know more. Actually, I'd love to talk John into driving over in his H/O to be the star of the show! Second, the President asked if I would go around at this year's show and take pictures of everyone's cars, and post them to CO like I did last year to promote future shows. Of course I said I'd be happy to.

Got my lifting workout done before noon so I could go out and mow this afternoon. With below normal temps right now, and a high of only about 82°, it was not bad mowing in the heat of the day.

There are two more car shows this coming weekend I'd like to make it to if the weather cooperates. One on Saturday is associated with our City's annual "Pevely Days" festival. The other is on Sunday in the small town of Maeystown, IL, about 50-miles from me. My buddy that restored the big Crew-Cab Dodge Dually lives only about 5-miles from there and is going to meet me there if I go. The weather is looking kind of iffy right now for both days. Guess we'll see???

Got my dentist appointment at 10:00 tomorrow morning. Really, really hoping my crown that came off can just be re-cemented back on!

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!