The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2022, 04:08 PM

"Rec 90" fuel is readily available around here at about $1.00 more a gallon than reg Unlead 10% ethanol. Well that seems too much (But we were paying about $1.50 a gal more a couple months ago!!) I have had zero problems with the Olds using Mid grade ethanol. I think this problem on the truck is sorta my own fault- I bought NOS kits thinking they were better quality but they were never made for ethanol. Chris I have used Stabil and sea foam on other things (generators, etc) and am a real believer. I ordered a ethanol tolerant kit from Mikes Carburetor in Washington state. Jim, I am also installing a 22kw Generac generator.
Old September 1st, 2022, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
"Rec 90" fuel is readily available around here at about $1.00 more a gallon than reg Unlead 10% ethanol. Well that seems too much (But we were paying about $1.50 a gal more a couple months ago!!) I have had zero problems with the Olds using Mid grade ethanol. I think this problem on the truck is sorta my own fault- I bought NOS kits thinking they were better quality but they were never made for ethanol. Chris I have used Stabil and sea foam on other things (generators, etc) and am a real believer. I ordered a ethanol tolerant kit from Mikes Carburetor in Washington state. Jim, I am also installing a 22kw Generac generator.
Greg - Don't know if you noticed, but the Sta-Bil I posted a pic of is different than regular Sta-Bil. It is supposed to be superior to regular Sta-Bil in protecting fuel system components from the effects of ethanol. I can hear the start of some detonation in my 4-4-2 if I use 91-octane and get heavy on the throttle. With 93, no detonation whatsoever.
Old September 1st, 2022, 04:58 PM
Banned

Comforted a co worker's 14 year old daughter with dwarfism and also taught her to stick up for herself.Found out she was being bullied and picked on a lot and told her I went through that when I was in the 7th grade because of my pituritary dwarfism.This co workers says I am a positive role model for her now
Old September 1st, 2022, 07:02 PM

https://www.pure-gas.org/maps/MO

There must be some regulation on ethanol free gas. I am a big fan of buying new plastic 5 gallon gas cans, getting "watering can repair spot kits" and converting them to old style gas cans. I then go buy gas.

You are right, though, there is none in St. Louis.
Old September 1st, 2022, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
https://www.pure-gas.org/maps/MO

There must be some regulation on ethanol free gas. I am a big fan of buying new plastic 5 gallon gas cans, getting "watering can repair spot kits" and converting them to old style gas cans. I then go buy gas.

You are right, though, there is none in St. Louis.
John - Thanks for the link, although like I told Mike, I've checked the situation out on that site before. The 4 closest stations are all around 50-miles away, definitely cost prohibitive on driving the 4-4-2 to any just to fill your tank and then burn 5-gallons just getting home. I could do like you, get a bunch of 5-gallon cans and go down there in the daily driver getting 30-mpg, but beyond the storage, there's another issue. The Octane rating on that ethanol free gas at all 4 stations is only 91. The compression on my motor is still 10.5/1, and like I told Mike, I can hear some detonation if I get on it hard with 91 Octane. I'll just keep burning the 10% ethanol 93, and add the Sta-Bil 360° to neutralize the ethanol, with the added benefit of the fuel system cleaner it has in it.
Old September 1st, 2022, 08:16 PM

One of my coworkers told me he has a 55 gallon drum of Sunoco 110 in his garage. He has or had a handful of extremely powerful modified cars - a Dodge Viper and a couple of Supra twin turbos.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 02:56 AM
Always room for one more

Chris that's an easy one. Check the website before you go to a car show an hour or so away and fill up at a station on the way home. I'm sure the chemists of the past would roll over in their graves if they knew what we were passing off as gasoline these days. The curator of my museum was telling me the cars in the museum, in their day, ran on "white gas," which I'm assuming is like camping fuel.

I don't know where any racing gas is around me, but I'm close to some 100LL AvGas. Smells nice, too.

Okay the lead has been off all week but showed up today. Just in time to put a monkey wrench into things. See ya's all later.

Old September 2nd, 2022, 04:04 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - White Gas is essentially Coleman Fuel (Petroleum Naptha) for most practical purposes. It is not exactly the same, but it's nearly identical with some small caveats. Mostly, the really good stuff which they turned into White Gas they continued the crack distillation process until no sulfur remained in the Petroleum Naptha rendering it an extraordinarily CLEAN form of Petroleum Naptha.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 04:42 AM

When I worked in a sporting goods store i always wondered why you had to keep gun power locked in a steel box but you could stack Coleman fuel to the ceiling
Old September 2nd, 2022, 04:51 AM

Chris, I was looking thru the events in Journey with Olds and I saw a Olds event hosted by Archway chapter in St Louis sometime in Sept. You gonna go to that? Well since I feel like hunt and pecking awhile I'll tell you guys why I believe in Stabil. I left a 8hp generator for years in my garage with gas in it. Yep power went out and it wouldn't start, I had to take apart carb and clean out. etc. All gunked up.... Vowed to never do that again. so added stabil to fuel the next time. It sat in garage for a couple of years again and power went out. I knew it had set that long so I went to it and decided to just pull on start rope real easy to make sure it was free. I was going to just roll it over before actually starting it. It started immediately!! What a difference. Also once I had a snowmobile that bogged badly after sitting a while. My snowmobile buddy said don't let it bog as it is too lean and could burn out a piston, he said try sea foam about half and half. I rode it around with the seafoam mixture and noticed it getting better as I went. after about a half hour ride it was back to normal. Yeah I see the stuff you pictured is for everyday use. OK enuff punhing keys!! See yas..
Old September 2nd, 2022, 06:03 AM
Always room for one more

Here you go Jamesbo

Old September 2nd, 2022, 06:24 AM

Chris, I was looking thru the events in Journey with Olds and I saw a Olds event hosted by Archway chapter in St Louis sometime in Sept. You gonna go to that?
Greg - Yes, I am going to go, it is on Sunday the 25th. I am a member of the Archway Olds Club now, I decided to join after I went to last year's show. The Club President has asked me to be the "official photographer" for this year's show after he read my write-up and saw my pictures I posted here on CO after last year's show. Last year's show was probably my favorite event last year, it was really cool seeing that many nice Olds at one event! Here's the link to last year's show if you want to check out the pics:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...n-show-158494/
Old September 2nd, 2022, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
When I worked in a sporting goods store i always wondered why you had to keep gun power locked in a steel box but you could stack Coleman fuel to the ceiling
Black powder is more dangerous than Coleman fuel, but modern gunpowder is not, so I agree.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 01:24 PM

The weatherman sucks! All week (including just yesterday) the forecast for today and tomorrow was sunny and <15% chance of rain. Got up this morning and the rain chance skyrocketed to over 65% for this evening, and 50% for tomorrow. In fact it's sprinkling here now, with a big wall of heavier rain on the way off to the southwest. Obviously no cruise-in will be on tap for me this evening, and probably not tomorrow either, although the weatherman could be wrong, Again!!!

Hope everyone had a great day and has a great holiday weekend. Looks like it's gonna be really wet here with a high chance of rain forecast for Sunday and Monday too! Ugh!
Old September 2nd, 2022, 03:10 PM
Always room for one more

So I stayed at Awful house three hours again. Got out of work around 11. I don't feel bad about doing that, I don't go out hardly ever and I sit with people who aren't my co-workers or my Mom. It's a good time.

Nice here now but supposed to rain all weekend. Was gonna do some mowing this afternoon but I don't have any gas for the mower. That's a big sucker to have to push out of the yard. So I came over here and looked at the blue van. I still need two brake lines to install. One of the lines the B nuts are the wrong thread, and the other one is too short. I'm gonna go to the auto parts store and see if there is a fitting or something I can put on the B nut to essentially lengthen it, and then screw it into the back of the wheel cylinder. I need about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch only.

I miss reading the Journey With Olds magazine. I haven't been a member of OCA since about 1989. The local Illinois chapter was hands down the worst club I've ever been in. I was a kid in high school and no one had any time for me. I think I went to one meeting and one meeting was enough to be ignored the whole time. I had a rusty 4 door car and everyone else had 442s. I went to one of their shows at a prominent Chicago(Oak Lawn actually) Olds dealer and it was the same. The guy who thought he owned the club had a son about my age with a beautiful 72 442. I walked past his car and gave him a quick compliment. He barely even sniffed at me and went back to doing whatever. I went to my car and went home, and that was the end of the IVOC for me.

Norm I think I will get some Coleman fuel and see if my car will run on it. I'm guessing if it did work it would be a lot more expensive than pump gasoline. When I'm in Australia I'll say, lets stop and get gas for the car. My friend will always say, my car doesn't run on gas it runs on petrol. I say, "gasoline." She says ohhhhh. Gas to them is LP.

So no overtime this weekend, and it's a three day weekend. Both please me. I can stay with Mom and watch all of MASH and I even turned the porch lights on at home so we are not walking up to the house in darkness. And we can sleep in tomorrow.

Okay hope everyone has a good evening.

Old September 2nd, 2022, 05:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I think I will get some Coleman fuel and see if my car will run on it. I'm guessing if it did work it would be a lot more expensive than pump gasoline.
Mike - Your car would run miserably on Coleman Fuel. Coleman Fuel has an octane rating between 50 - 55 - you'd be lucky to get out of the driveway before the entire engine would ping & knock off its motor mounts.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 05:31 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - BTW, I meant to mention gasoline has an interesting etymology. The term is really American English (Canadian English) & in MOST countries of the planet it's referred to as Petrol.

Gasoline
Old September 2nd, 2022, 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=Vintage Chief;1450741]Mike - BTW, I meant to mention gasoline has an interesting etymology. The term is really American English (Canadian English) & in MOST countries of the planet it's referred to as Petrol./QUOTE]Another oddity is what we here in the states calll asphalt other (British empire) areas call bitumin.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 08:25 AM

Good morning guys

Hope most of you are experiencing nicer weather than we're experiencing here. We've had a steady rain all morning that's supposed to continue on and off throughout the day. Unfortunately these conditions are supposed to continue through Monday. It's certainly not going to be very nice for doing anything outside over the holiday weekend. Ugh!

Today's the start of the College Football season which I always enjoy, even if it does mean winter is hiding it's ugly head right around the corner. Since I'm not going to be doing anything outside, I'll probably end up watching parts of a couple of games..

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old September 3rd, 2022, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
It's certainly not going to be very nice for doing anything outside over the holiday weekend. Ugh!
It's gonna be bright and sunny here, but 110 degrees.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 11:00 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Bring it!

Old September 3rd, 2022, 11:11 AM

I want what's behind door #3!!!
Old September 3rd, 2022, 11:25 AM

Greg, A word to the wise. Generac now makes you register the generator with the code , you then punch in some numbers and the thing will start. {I guess to help eliminate theft.. The older one for the HOA well I don't remember doing having to do this. ] Anyway because at our lake the internet reception is so poor the only way we could do it was via a phone call.

We were on hold for almost and hour. I hope you can do it on line and save some time
Old September 3rd, 2022, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Greg, A word to the wise. Generac now makes you register the generator with the code , you then punch in some numbers and the thing will start.
That wouldn't work very well for areas struck by natural disasters (hurricane, flood, tornado, ice storm) where folks drive hours to find a store with a generator, then bring it back home and expect to fire it up and have electricity for their house.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 01:36 PM

That wouldn't work very well for areas struck by natural disasters (hurricane, flood, tornado, ice storm) where folks drive hours to find a store with a generator, then bring it back home and expect to fire it up and have electricity for their house.

This one isn't portable but the process was a GIANT PITA
Old September 3rd, 2022, 03:13 PM

Thanks for that info, Jim. It has been a struggle getting this thing going. I decided to get one last winter and install it this summer. I expected because of covid it would take a long time to get, but I ordered it at Menards and it was at store in a couple days! My neighbor is a retired electrician so he and I did everything we could ( dig trenches, hook up gas, run wire, etc) . So we had all we could do done the first of July. Called the utility and was told they couldn't do the electric turn off until Sept 14th! I had to coordinate it with the utility and county electrical inspector. Utility will come Sept 14 and disconnect power at pole, Then we will do the last part of wiring, then we call inspector, he comes and approves work (Hopefully) then he calls utility to reconnect power. If inspector doesn't approve work, then we will have to go without power for a couple days. We will fix what is wrong and inspector will come back on Friday, If all good then, Inspector will call utility to reconnect. Big hassle. Thanks for that info on the initial start up. I did look at the instructions about the programming but always figured I will deal with it later. I guess later is now.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 03:29 PM
Running On Empty

Big hassle.
Sounds like they are doing things correctly...
Old September 4th, 2022, 01:37 AM

Greg, One more thing. It comes with "Break in oil" that should be changed after 25 hours of operation Good luck

I hope you don't get the same inspector I had for my temporary permanent power pole to hook up my electric fence to keep the cows across the street in " No sir, The electric fence it isn't for people, it's for cows"
Old September 4th, 2022, 11:59 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Been raining off and on, but it's nice and cool. Beautiful yesterday.

Jamesbo I thought the generator turned on as soon as it sensed the electricity was out. Now you have to call to get a code? Better keep putting the quarter on the cup in the freezer.

Norm we could go on all day with different words. The gas/petrol one is recurrent. We have gone on at length about prawns and serviettes.

Got a couple parts replaced on the Saturn and now I'm gonna see if I can get rid of it. I don't expect to get rich off it. It's still a good car but has outlived it usefulness. Meaning neither one of us can get in or out of it very easily. At least with it raining I don't have to worry about it being dirty.

Okay see ya's all a little later.

Old September 4th, 2022, 12:17 PM

Mike, The code is just for the initial start up Then it comes on automatically when the power goes off and the EXPENSIVE switches keep the power generated by the generator from going back out into the line [So not to shock workers that are working on down lines ]
Old September 4th, 2022, 12:24 PM
Running On Empty

Spent the better half of the day cleaning up scaffolding, greasing moving parts, etc. getting ready to work my way around the house during the next several plus months addressing maintenance items. I have four additional sections including wheels when working on concrete/asphalt. I'm not a big fan of working from ladders.

Work smart - work safe.

Old September 4th, 2022, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm not a big fan of working from ladders.
You and me both! Especially don't like it when the ladder gets much over a story high!
Old September 4th, 2022, 12:42 PM

Nor John Belushi in 'Animal House"
Old September 4th, 2022, 02:00 PM

And be mindful of that service cable near top of scaffolding
Old September 4th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
And be mindful of that service cable near top of scaffolding
Actually, Ray - My first order of business is to change the insulator attached to the fascia. I installed that service cable and that insulator ~20 years ago. There was initially a small amperage service cable which ran from the house to the garage - maybe five amps at most as I recall; and, it wasn't grounded. You know the deal - and, of course no service panel in the old garage - just a simple line. House (all wood) & detached (all wood) garage both built in 1930. I installed a dedicated 50A sub-panel in the new man-cave I built (attached to the old garage) with proper grounding and installed that new 50A service line. I installed a new (bigger & beefier) insulator into the same hole as the previous insulator, but moisture has been eating at it and it's about ready to pull out of the fascia. There's lots of good wood in the fascia - just that one point where the insulator is located. So, I'm going to sister big & beefy boarding to accommodate that area for the insulator.

Where you been, Ray?
Old September 4th, 2022, 02:25 PM
Running On Empty

I didn't realize I'd have a contractor in the audience or I would have taken a better picture.
I blew up the previous picture - you can see the moisture infiltration from the insulator screw into the fascia. I'll fashion a 2' length of sister board front side & back side to support a re-positioned insulator.

Old September 4th, 2022, 04:40 PM

Well I hope everyone had a nice and productive (or not) day! Not much happening around here today. Weatherman was right, periods of rain, most of it light, throughout the day. I was watching the radar this morning and it looked like we'd have about a 3-hour window between 10am - 1pm without rain so I planned to try and get out and mow. The grass was still a little damp, but the window worked out perfectly and I was putting the last of the equipment away when the sky opened up again.

More rain on tap for tomorrow and Tuesday, and I'm not looking forward to that, going stir crazy in the house. This is the time of year when we're supposed to be able to get outside. Hope ya'll have a relaxing evening!
Old September 4th, 2022, 05:00 PM
Running On Empty

We dodged a bullet w/ Earl. Next possibility just rolled off the tip of Africa. Earl is expected to become a Major hurricane. Hopefully it will slide ENE of Bermuda.
Old September 4th, 2022, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
We dodged a bullet w/ Earl. Next possibility just rolled off the tip of Africa. Earl is expected to become a Major hurricane. Hopefully it will slide ENE of Bermuda.
Hope ya miss every damn one of them Norm!
Old September 4th, 2022, 05:37 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. I completely agree.