The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hey a quick question for the audiophyles. My new Suburban only has one, very bad and very scratchy speaker that works for the radio and I need to get new speakers.

What is a good speaker to get for a giant car that won't cost a king's ransom but sound good? I'd get Boston Acoustics if they still made them for cars. The radio is the upgraded double din with equalizer cassette AM-FM stereo that GM used in 1990. Not looking forward to pulling the dash loose to put in front speakers, maybe I can reach them from below.

Time for some chili. Don't have a picture.
I am more of a home audiophile than a car audiophile. I used to really like Infinity for cars, but I had not been in the market for car speakers for probably 20 years until recently. We bought my son an old Jeep Cherokee last fall, and we installed some new Focal speakers in it along with a very cheap JVC radio. I was really impressed by the Focal car speakers we put in his Cherokee.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...kits-solutions

I would suggest you find a local shop that has a lot of different brands and listen to them. It is hard to replicate what it will sound like in your car, but just pick whatever sounds best to your ears in your budget.
Old January 7th, 2022, 04:04 PM

crutchfield is a good website to shop speakers.
Old January 8th, 2022, 03:28 AM

Norm, You really need to try the crab Louie
Old January 8th, 2022, 03:34 AM

Jeff and Dan, Geez I am not happy to hear about those Equinox problems. I think I told you guys our 10 Impala with 162000 miles is starting to have a problem with the transmission and is getting rusty, so I have been looking at small SUV's and Equinox is one. I figure I will get a used car with 60-80,000 on it, I saw alot of Equinox's for sale on Marketplace and craigslist, etc. Anyway I really have no idea anymore what cars have a good or bad reputation. Back in the day I knew certain cars had problems with things or were really good, but now a days -no. It seems that the Ford Escape is a lot cheaper than the Equinox price wise. Well I'm gonna look I hope someone I know would let me buy their used SUV it they decide to buy a new car. But still I could get a car with known problem areas I know nothing about. I think technology is moving so fast that all the newer cars are basically in the market but still in the testing phase. Doesn't seem to be engines and transmissions that are in use for 20-30 years like years ago. Chevy small block or Chrysler slant six, Turbo Hydromantic 350, etc. Have you guys heard of a constantly variable transmission that actually uses a huge belt like a snowmobile or quad?? I was told Honda has those, but I dunno..
Old January 8th, 2022, 04:53 AM

Just MHO but ALL the newer cars have so much crap on them [that will eventually brake] Example side mirrors fold in automatically [with a motor that will eventually go Tango Uniform]

Most of it is entirely unnecessary. If you have to look at your dash to see your door is open you shouldn't be driving in the 1st place.
Old January 8th, 2022, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Just MHO but ALL the newer cars have so much crap on them [that will eventually brake] Example side mirrors fold in automatically [with a motor that will eventually go Tango Uniform]

Most of it is entirely unnecessary. If you have to look at your dash to see your door is open you shouldn't be driving in the 1st place.
Yep I agree.
Old January 8th, 2022, 06:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Sunny but cold. I guess the week was hard on Tiger because he was relentless in getting me out of bed to get ready for Awful house. Lots of guys there today, had a nice time.

Thanks you guys for the speaker ideas. Maybe I'll get a big pair of Pyle Drivers for my Kraco tape deck.

Greg I was in the same boat a couple years ago with my Mom. We ended up getting her a new, 2019 Equinox. It isn't a bad car, and two years later she only has 12000 miles on it. It's actually my car, and the rumor is when everyone moves to Orlando, Mom is going to give up driving and I'll get the car back. So far it hasn't had any trouble, but she doesn't drive it very hard. So hold out until summer and I'll make you a great deal on it.

Honestly, I'd just as soon fix up one of my Valiants and drive it every day. Maybe install some creature comforts like AC and a nice stereo, and then stock up on 13" tires. Oh hell, I don't want to go there.

When I was a kid, like pre-teen years, my neighbor came home with a 69 or 70 Cadillac Eldorado. My Dad and I went to look at it and the guy was saying how it had this, and it did that, and my Dad, who could be a bit of a wise guy sometimes, said, pretty soon we'll have cars you can turn your seat around and take a nap. The neighbor said, that's not funny! Well, Dad's not around and I'm pretty sure the neighbor isn't still around, but guess what we have...

Okay, tons of work at the shop today. But first, I need to get some diesel fuel for the tractor. Might as well take the new Suburban and put some fuel in it as well. I tried to start the Deuce and a half yesterday, wouldn't start, I don't know what to do about it. No power to plug a charger into, and I don't think it's out far enough to get my pickup in next to it. Hm. I'll have to study the situation.

Have a good Saturday everyone.

Old January 8th, 2022, 07:12 AM

Mike,

What era [war] is your Deuce and a half from?
Old January 8th, 2022, 07:30 AM
Always room for one more

Viet Nam era. 1973

Old January 8th, 2022, 08:07 AM

Mike, If you want a bass speaker that will blow the doors open. My Vista came with one in the storage space below the rear seat. Come and get it. I never listen to music [much less rap] when I drive
Old January 8th, 2022, 08:08 AM

Morning Gents. Headed to the Old Man's house with my ex sister-in-law to show his housekeeper/ girlfriend how to cook something that's not Mexican. Pops is getting tired of the same old thing, or at least it tastes the same to him, what ever it's called. On the menu today is chicken and dumpling and a lamb sorta meat loaf. It's kinda a Scottish Irish type dish, not haggis. Should be a good time with good eats... Tedd
Old January 8th, 2022, 08:10 AM
Running On Empty

James - I'll get on that crab Louie in short order.

Mike - You don't own a portable power generator? Now is a good time to pick one up. They make a fashionable statement to your repertoire. And, the neighbors will absolutely love you.

I tried to start the Deuce and a half yesterday, wouldn't start, I don't know what to do about it. No power to plug a charger into
Old January 8th, 2022, 08:12 AM
Running On Empty

Tedd - "Chicken and dumpling and a lamb sorta meat loaf" sounds pretty tasty.
Old January 8th, 2022, 08:22 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Don't overthink the new speaker set up. Grab one or two cardboard boxes, a couple newer speakers, cut the wire(s) to the current dash speaker and wire up the new speakers with the original wire(s).

Old January 8th, 2022, 08:25 AM
Running On Empty

x3
Old January 8th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Greg, the CVT is fairly common in some of the small cars now a days. Usually in smaller imports. Actually not a new idea, the Austin Mini had them back in the 60's when equipped with an auto trans.
Old January 8th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo add it to the pile. You don't listen to music or you don't listen to the radio? I don't turn the radio on when Tiger is in the car. I'm afraid the shitty speakers that the dog van has will hurt his ears.

Norm I do own a portable generator. I bought it probably 5 years ago and have never used it. I keep forgetting about it. One of these days I'll get it out and get it going. Maybe I could run a long extension cord across the street from the house.

The DAF automobiles had a CVT transmission way back in the 50s I think. They called it the Variomatic. Used it for a long time and when Volvo bought out the auto side of the company in the 70s they used it a few years as well.

Tedd, the housekeeper/girlfriend? Reminds me of this.

And now, lunch.

Old January 8th, 2022, 09:41 AM

Mike, No music , no radio, no tapes, no disc nada. Silence is golden

So is your M 35 a 2?
Old January 8th, 2022, 09:46 AM
Always room for one more

M35A2C W/W

Damn this internet. I gotta go!

Old January 8th, 2022, 10:19 AM

If you have to look at your dash to see your door is open you shouldn't be driving in the 1st place.
This reminded me of a discussion on another car forum (2004-2007 era cars). Fella with a manual transmission was asking if there was a way to program the computer to display a gear indicator in the dash like the automatic transmission cars have.

I kid you not.
Old January 8th, 2022, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I tried to start the Deuce and a half yesterday, wouldn't start, I don't know what to do about it. No power to plug a charger into, and I don't think it's out far enough to get my pickup in next to it. Hm. I'll have to study the situation.
Sounds like the perfect excuse to buy one of those jump boxes we were discussing a while back.
Old January 8th, 2022, 10:24 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - A portable generator should imply you can move the portable generator from your house to the car i.e. portable. You will need to fill the portable generator with gasoline.
Old January 8th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Running On Empty

I need a car with an idiot light indicating someone occupies the driver's seat.
Old January 8th, 2022, 10:59 AM

if there was a way to program the computer to display a gear indicator in the dash like the automatic transmission cars have.
This is sad.
Old January 8th, 2022, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I need a car with an idiot light indicating someone occupies the driver's seat.
I'd like a light that let's me know when it's raining!
Old January 8th, 2022, 11:08 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I'd pay big $$!!
Old January 8th, 2022, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442

If you'd open the sun roof, ya might be able to figger it out
Old January 8th, 2022, 12:16 PM
Running On Empty

My attempt at humor (filling the portable generator with gasoline) was less humorous than Mike’s extension cords across the road. It reminded me of the time 17-18 years ago I had 5 extension cords running off my generator after a hurricane when we had no power for ~ 5-6 days. Two into my home, two into the next door neighbor, and one on the other side of my next door neighbor. As I recall I had about 450 ft of extension cord across the yards. Wild!!! I’m the only one with a generator.
Old January 8th, 2022, 12:36 PM

Norm, You're a good neighbor

In the mountains several of my neighbors have 25k generators and I installed a smaller one for the HOA on the well so I can take cold showers during electrical outages . Unfortunately, no one has offered to run a cord to my home, Last year during an ice storm, power was out for a week and I lost a whole shipment from Omaha steaks, I've had a 24k generator on order for months, It's spose to be here in February. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed [and not filing up the freezer]
Old January 8th, 2022, 12:43 PM
Running On Empty

James - Costly Omaha Steaks. I've purchased from Omaha Steaks - pretty darn good I thought. I think a 24kW is the perfect size for a home. I assume it's LP? Is there a shortage on that generator?
Old January 8th, 2022, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - Costly Omaha Steaks. I've purchased from Omaha Steaks - pretty darn good I thought. I think a 24kW is the perfect size for a home. I assume it's LP? Is there a shortage on that generator?
Yes, so many on order, they can't keep up with the demand. Yes, it's propane which is a whole other horror story [prices thru the roof]

Omaha has some wonderful "Specials" and several single items, I would never cook one [or two of] example Prime rib slices
Old January 8th, 2022, 02:37 PM
Running On Empty

...propane which is a whole other horror story [prices thru the roof]
I'm extremely familiar with the pricing of propane over the past 20 years. The cost structure alone has been a horror story.
Old January 8th, 2022, 03:02 PM

Norm, when I was building my house, we had the hole dug for the tank and it was fixing to rain. I needed to get the tank in the ground and filled quickly. BIG MISTAKE I got it delivered, filled and I've had to deal with the same Mf'ERS EVER SINCE. Several years ago, I was buying form a supplier with a better price and the tank ower[s] locked my tank.
\
Although I didn't do it, I came REAL close to saying "Come dig it up and get it out of here, I want to buy my own tank

A very good friend of mine got on the "locked in annual price' Great only they wouldn't deliver as the price rose
Old January 8th, 2022, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

James - My face is cringing and I'm biting my teeth as I read your scenario. Unlike you however, after I did a heating system upgrade from an old home heating oil system to a propane system, I had them come and remove all their propane crap and I did yet ANOTHER complete upgrade from propane to an electric combination heat/air system. I think I was buying propane 20 years ago for what ~$2/gal. then it went up to something like $4+/gal. w/in a couple of years. I told them bye, bye. We don't have natural gas on this side of the ditch (ICW) otherwise I'd have upgraded to natural gas.
Old January 8th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Ah good day at the shop. Got one of the offending cars moved. It's now across the street with a cover over it. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to move another offending car and put a cover over it. Then I need to take parts off two other offending cars and then get rid of them. Then I have to pick up a bunch of sticks because rats and snakes will live under them. In the winter. Because they won't move two feet over and live under the other sticks that fell naturally. Really.

Seems to me I rode a motorcycle once that had lights that told you what gear you were in. Actually not a bad idea, since you can't see the shifter very easily to tell for yourself.

When I drove through Chicago years ago to get to the airport I'd go past the high rises. The projects. There were cords running on the outside of the buildings from one apartment to the next, I assumed because the one apartment had the lights shut off.

Time to relax a little. I say I'm going to stay up late but end up going to bed early because I don't have anything to do. Last night Tiger wanted to get up three times in the night. I could have strangled him. Maybe I'll give him some booze tonight so he'll sleep better.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old January 9th, 2022, 07:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Happy Birthday Jamesbo. You're still prettier than my ex girlfriend. Oooo that one hasn't aged well.

Good time at the Awful house. I think we solved a couple of the world's problems.

Looks like rain, and it isn't too cold out. Gotta do the grocery thing today and a couple of things around here, I might not get over to the shop. Eh, I have a week, which consists of two hours each afternoon. And next weekend, which I'd rather go to my Mom's than patronize a bunch of asshats.

Well have a good Sunday everyone. Jamesbo whoop it up good.

Old January 9th, 2022, 07:36 AM

Happy Birthday James, hope you have a great one!
Old January 9th, 2022, 07:54 AM

Tanks Chris

3.6 score and still vertical

Amazing miracle
Old January 9th, 2022, 01:17 PM
Running On Empty

James - Happy Birthday. I hope the Super Model makes your favorite meal for you today. 🎂🎂🎂

40/40 Another mediocre game of golf.
Old January 9th, 2022, 01:42 PM

Norm,

Many thanks

But

Ain't gonna happen she could burn a salad [but has other attributes]