The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2022, 01:44 PM

Happy birthday Jamesbo.
Old January 9th, 2022, 01:50 PM

Tanks
Old January 9th, 2022, 02:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Happy Birthday Jim. Today is also my oldest grandsons 19th birthday.
Old January 9th, 2022, 02:13 PM

Tanks Glenn, It's a great day for alot of good people . Please wish him a happy birthday from someone he'll never catch up with
Old January 9th, 2022, 06:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I will do that and hope you had a nice one. He had a great birthday before he goes back to University of North Texas next week. He is really a good kid and I am very proud of him.
Old January 10th, 2022, 03:52 AM

Happy Bday James!! Oh yesterday I found the bat in barn. He had gotten into a mouse trap. I actually feel bad about it. I think he died from starvation or hypothermia. It got him on his wings/legs so he was trapped. I'm sure he wasn't killed instantly. The trap was on the floor. Strange deal. Sure is cold and blustery around here!
Old January 10th, 2022, 07:24 AM

Norm, I have a techno question

WTF does my phone, my brides Alexia , and my laptop all show slightly different times?

Inquiring minds
Old January 10th, 2022, 08:09 AM
Jeff

Yeah, I thought that the 3.6's had been sorted out by the '08 model year, turns out NO. They have continually been refining that engine over the years, as issues have been identified thru service. I had a '10 Enclave that I just got rid of 2 weeks ago that also had the 3.6, was occasionally throwing a timing code, but it had 191k and had been used for towing a couple of summers, so it was due. I just didn't expect a 3.6 with only 116k on the clock to already be needing it. The Equinox has spent a significant portion of it's life down south, so it is really clean. I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm leaning towards getting it fixed, since it has no rust/rot on the sheet metal or underside. My '17 Lacrosse has the 3.6, too, but GM now specifies to put synthetic in them. I'm going to shorten up the intervals between oil changes on that car going forward. I got the deal of the century on it, a loaded Premium edition that stickered for $47.5k, discounted to $29k, purchased new off the dealer lot in '19 with only 26 miles on it.

My advice on looking for used/new vehicles, which I didn't fully follow: research the quality for the year, model, and powertrain on the particular vehicle you're looking at. Avoid first year of a model changeover, and avoid new powertrain combos until 3 or 4 years out.
Old January 10th, 2022, 08:14 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, I have a techno question
WTF does my phone, my brides Alexia , and my laptop all show slightly different times?
Inquiring minds
James - FYI, my iPhone shows the exact same time as my Windows 11 Operating System on my PC. Slightly different times - what exactly is the difference in time between the two? Which is faster and/or slower than the other? Does one of them display the exact/correct time? A simple issue to resolve I suspect, but answer those basics first.
Old January 10th, 2022, 08:19 AM

Norm, Phone says 11'29 lap top says 11;18 as I type
Old January 10th, 2022, 08:25 AM
Running On Empty

James - Time out. My neighbors with no husbands (widows) just called and their cable T.V. isn't working. CRISIS! LMAO Put this on hold until I assist the widows. TTYL
Old January 10th, 2022, 08:41 AM

Not to worry Norm, I've lived with it like this for years. If you think about it when you're standing still the earth is rotating at such a high speed all this incremental rushing around really is Nothing in comparison

I hate to loose any suicidal widows
Old January 10th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Running On Empty

I'll tell you. The one old broad was a PITA from the get-go when I moved here. She's about lost all here mental capacity I guess - because now she's just turning into a complete zombie. The other widow is absolutely great (her husband George died last year). I'm not going to go into details, etc. etc. but the one old broad, she's just a mind-Phuque of anguish, despair and being ornery and miserable. Just like she's always been but now about 1,000% more ornery/miserable.

OK, enough - I'm back.
Old January 10th, 2022, 09:37 AM
Running On Empty

James - The laptop is behind in time compared to the phone is what you've said - by 11 minutes. Which one (Laptop or Phone) has the CORRECT time? I suspect the correct time is on the Phone. Let me know.
Old January 10th, 2022, 09:54 AM
Running On Empty

James - You most likely need to make an adjustment to your Windows Operating System time - a rather simple adjustment. Without asking a bunch of questions and performing a bunch of navigation pertinent to which Operating System you're using (Windows 7, Windows Millenium, Windows Vista, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, etc.) - hopefully you're using Microsoft Windows and not Apple (which is perfectly fine). I'm not that familiar with the Apple screen interface. At any rate, they're both going to be about the same.

DO THIS: Right-Click the area of your laptop screen which demonstrates the date & time it should produce another little window to change/configure the date & time. Left-click that window and go in and change the time. It's that simple.

While you're in there you can check/validate if you have Automatically change for Daylight Savings time selected or not selected and maybe the time "source" you're using. I'm sure you can figure it out, but if not let me know I can assist further.

I won't go into some diatribe regarding the importance of time settings because they're most likely not important to the functioning of your laptop or other things you do. They CAN however create some hardships on certain applications and within Browsers if time is not correct because security matters if two machines (say a bank and your laptop, or a transaction on the Internet and your laptop, etc., etc.) time and date are not in sync. I'll stop here. Lower right-hand corner of your laptop screen should be the area in the task-bar where you see your date/time (image below).

Old January 10th, 2022, 10:06 AM

Norm, Tanks

For some reason 'Set time automatically" was off
Old January 10th, 2022, 10:10 AM
Running On Empty

James - Hopefully that resolved the issue. If not let me know, there are some other areas in the date/time setting I think you can understand on your own but if not, let me know.
Old January 10th, 2022, 02:32 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Helped my wife pick up a nice coffee and end table set this morning. The place was harder than hell to find. Did some serious off-roading in the AWD Hyundai Santa Fe Sport down what appeared to be nothing more than a logging trail, all because Google Maps told us to. It was our excitement for the day, and nothing got torn up, so it was all good. The Santa Fe did surprisingly well through some some pretty knarly mud holes. Only bad news was I had to take it to the car wash afterwards.

Looking forward to watching the college football National Championship tonight between Alabama and Georgia. Alabama has always been my 2nd favorite team behind Michigan since I was a little boy. I was always a big fan of Paul "Bear" Bryant, and remember always watching them as far back as '66-'67 when Kenny Stabler was the QB there. I don't remember '62-'64 when Broadway Joe was there. Should be a good game, both are great teams, although Alabama already beat Georgia in the SEC Championship game.

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old January 10th, 2022, 02:59 PM

Chris,

No question Bear [and now Saban] are the "pride of the crimson tide

Roll tide
Old January 10th, 2022, 03:14 PM

Chris,

No question Bear [and now Saban] are the "pride of the crimson tide

Roll tide
Yep, Roll Tide! I became a fan of Saban when he coached at Michigan State, he's a brilliant coach, his record speaks for itself!
Old January 10th, 2022, 03:24 PM

Chris, I've been told the reason " bear" left Kentucky is after his winning season, he got a cigarette light while the basketball coach got a new Cadillac
Old January 10th, 2022, 03:27 PM

Chris, I've been told the reason " bear" left Kentucky is after his winning season, he got a cigarette light while the basketball coach got a new Cadillac
That's a good story, never heard that one! I think it would make me want to leave too!
Old January 10th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold now that the sun has gone down. Was a nice day. I think it's going to be cold the rest of the week. Eh, I'm tough.

Spent the afternoon talking with county people about the gate that goes across the defunct street by my shop. I've found that county people with no authority are very nice and helpful. Talked with another guy on the phone that said he knew about my gate but didn't think anyone had permission to put it up. I said, it's been there 40 years. Oh, he says. He didn't have a problem with it but said someone had legal access through the cul de sac to access other property down the hill. I said, in all the years I've been there no one has asked to go through. Both people are researching and will get back to me.

Jamesbo have you given up on an M38? I'm guessing that 715 was owned by a fire department. Lots of FDs had trucks like that back when they were surplussed out.

Chris once I was going to someone's house and the GPS took me down a frontage road and it dead ended into some construction office. I knew that wasn't where I wanted to be but I went into the office and gave the guy the address and said GPS sent me here. He laughed and looked up the correct directions. I was only a couple blocks off.

I stopped at my neighbor's house on my way home from the county and talked way too long. Now I have to go right to bed. Overtime in the morning so up at 2.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old January 10th, 2022, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Overtime in the morning so up at 2.
Mike - Go to bed.
Old January 10th, 2022, 04:27 PM
Running On Empty

Supposedly -------------- The Bulldogs are 2.5-point favorite in the latest Georgia vs. Alabama odds, with an over-under for total points scored of 52.5
In the SEC game last month weren't the Bulldogs a 5.5 favorite over Alabama? I guess there's less confidence in the Bulldogs this round?
If Saban wins tonight, will he announce retirement tomorrow?
Old January 10th, 2022, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Supposedly -------------- The Bulldogs are 2.5-point favorite in the latest Georgia vs. Alabama odds, with an over-under for total points scored of 52.5
In the SEC game last month weren't the Bulldogs a 5.5 favorite over Alabama? I guess there's less confidence in the Bulldogs this round?
If Saban wins tonight, will he announce retirement tomorrow?
Lots of football people say Georgia has the best team on paper, hence the odds, but all the paper in the world doesn't win ball games. Who knows about Saban??? JMO, but I don't think he'll retire if they win, he's having way too much fun doing what he loves.
Old January 10th, 2022, 04:52 PM
Running On Empty

I myself have been a fan of Saban since his early days in Michigan, as well. He's a solid stand-up person who knows how to build and maintain an organization. I favor The Tide in tonight's game against Georgia.
Old January 11th, 2022, 07:09 AM

I sure am glad I never bet on anything that doesn't have a tail
Old January 11th, 2022, 07:27 AM

I sure am glad I never bet on anything that doesn't have a tail
I have never been a gambler, always figured I worked too hard for what I had to throw it away on a game of chance. However, for many years, I was part of a once a month, low stakes, guys' night out poker get together. Most you ever lost was $20-$30, and you might win $100. I looked at that as cheap entertainment like going out to the movies. I really enjoyed those get togethers with my buddies, but the way I'm wound, I know I wouldn't have enjoyed them if I were losing $100 or more at a pop.
Old January 11th, 2022, 07:31 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I have never been a gambler, always figured I worked too hard for what I had to throw it away on a game of chance. However, for many years, I was part of a once a month, low stakes, guys' night out poker get together. Most you ever lost was $20-$30, and you might win $100. I looked at that as cheap entertainment like going out to the movies. I really enjoyed those get togethers with my buddies, but the way I'm wound, I know I wouldn't have enjoyed them if I were losing $100 or more at a pop.
Hell, you spent that much in booze just playing cards.
Old January 11th, 2022, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Hell, you spent that much in booze just playing cards.
You're probably right, thanks for the "glass half empty" perspective!
Old January 11th, 2022, 11:56 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. We got a good head start and finished up before 2 and got out. Nice out, cold, but the sun is shining.

Going over to the house in a minute to meet with the Realtor. Might as well get things rolling. Hope he has some good things to say.

So I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself here, but it keeps gnawing at me that my Mom is going to stop driving when she gets to Orlando. That means I get her car back, the car I actually own, and I'll be able to get rid of it and be rid of a ridiculous payment. But, I owe pretty much what it's worth, and anyone that thinks like me isn't going to buy a private car for that much money, they will buy a new one. So I've been wondering what I could trade it on that I would like. Not a lot of cars I like these days. Challenger? New pickup? I saw a Jeep that was this cool aquamarine, it was so shiny it looked like chrome. Who knows. Two cars I've had in the past, Fiat 500 and a Miata, but neither I'd be comfortable in these days.

Realtor just called to confirm. I'm gonna go over now. See ya's.

Old January 11th, 2022, 03:51 PM
Always room for one more

Spent a long time with the Realtor. He loved the place and tried to talk me out of selling. I told him I loved the place, too, but couldn't get past the feeling I get when I think about the yard ****'s coming over and making up new rules every time. So we formulated a plan to get the place ready, he thinks we can list in about a month.

So tomorrow is Hump Day already. I figured this week would go fast. Tomorrow I need to go do more stuff at the shop. Early again tomorrow, so I'm going to hit the sack shortly. My wall guy isn't going in early, so I don't know how much we'll get done. Eh, two hours overtime regardless.

I brought home Frango Mints from my Mom's at Christmas. My sister gets them online. Oh good heavens they are good. Expensive! But worth it.

Bedtime. I hope Tiger doesn't want to get up multiple times tonight. I know I told you guys about the potty room. A room that's outside but enclosed, and Tiger could go in and out on his own and wouldn't have to bother me. I really need to set that up.

Okay have a good night everyone.

Old January 12th, 2022, 03:56 AM

Mike I may be interested in Mom's Equinox. Tell me a little more about it. Thanks.
Old January 12th, 2022, 05:51 AM

I can't believe Mike it actually gonna sell something
Old January 12th, 2022, 07:06 AM

Good morning guys,

Warm for wintertime, 43° at 0900, and looking at a high of 54° this afternoon. It was a very pleasant day yesterday with a high of 50°. The weatherman is calling for 3 to 6-inches of snow Friday night into Saturday morning. I'll believe it when I see it, but I may get to use that new snowblower yet!

No big plans for today. We need a few things from Walmart, but the wife likes to take advantage of these warmer days to paint furniture in the basement due to paint curing/adhesion. I may end up going by myself. Not really excited about going to any public indoor places right now since there is so much crud out there to catch, but at least we're vaccinated and boosted.

We have a immediate family only birthday party for our grandson Ollie on Saturday. He will be 3. We're looking forward to that.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old January 12th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Funny day. The lead made a big deal about reaching our goal of 132, and then we ran out of wheels! I think we ended somewhere around 110. I used to like this guy, and I now don't not like him, but he is getting to be annoying. Eh, eight then skate.

Greg it will probably be summer before I get that car here. It's the baseline car, which still has power everything(not tailgate) and nice cloth seats. I think the wheels are painted instead of metal but they are shiny. Four cylinder turbo, with that inane auto stop. I've figured out how to fake it out.

Weather person is saying for sure snow on Saturday. But she didn't say for sure where, or how much. If it's going to snow, it needs to snow about 8 inches and lock the place down.

No overtime tomorrow so I'm going to stay up a little later, and sleep a little later in the morning. Gosh, wonder what I'll do.

Okay hope everyone has a good evening.

Old January 13th, 2022, 02:12 AM

Hey Mike is it 4wd ? After living here I found that is a must. Well looks like my plans have been changed. Remember when I mentioned I was trying to be a Kidney donor for my wife (indirectly)? Well I found I have a issue. So Jan 21 I will be having surgery... Ahh well... I started to make some plans to go with a bunch of guys up to the Upper Peninsula snowmobiling but now that aint gonna happen. Such is life, getting older..
Old January 13th, 2022, 04:29 AM

Greg - My prayers are with you that your wife is able to get the kidney she needs ASAP, and that your surgery goes well. Wishing you both all the best!
Old January 13th, 2022, 05:03 AM

Good morning guys,

I went to bed last night PO'ed, and woke up PO'ed, and after reading Greg's news, I probably shouldn't rant, but I'm going to anyway. I got a call last night from my oldest daughter who works at Barnes hospital, the largest hospital in St. Louis. Because of the current huge surge of Omicron variant Covid across the country (including St. Louis) her hospital is again overun with Covid patients, >95% of which are unvaccinated. As a result, the hospital has had to suspend their on-site sponsored childcare for employees, and my daughter has at least temporarily lost her childcare for her 3-year old and 8-month old, causing her to scramble to meet her childcare needs and her obligation to make her shifts at the hospital. When are the **** Holes that refuse to get vaccinated going to realize that this is now a pandemic of the unvaccinated, and that their refusal to do so is hurting so, so many others! It ain't all about You!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 13th, 2022 at 05:30 AM.