The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2021, 12:20 PM

Good afternoon guys,
Well, I got out to the garage early again this morning like I said, but I only got one side of the car cleaned and detailed before it started getting really steamy. The humidity is higher today and you can definitely feel it. Right now at 1400 it's 96, with a RealFeel of 106, brutal for this neck of the woods.

Took momma to Wally World around 0900, and it was actually decent shopping with hardly anyone in there. We were out of some critical staples like Chicago's Home Run Inn pizzas and the dog's special brand of ice cream. My wife about had a coronary when I told her I was going to look for some clothes, which I hardly ever buy and hate shopping for. I wanted some longer, below the knee, casual shorts that wouldn't ride up above my knee when I'm sitting down at shows/cruises. Already burned the area just above each knee once this summer and don't want to do it again! Luckily they had just what I wanted.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old June 14th, 2021, 12:48 PM

My ole Cheby 2500 4X4 [303000 miles]had the weirdest problem a couple of times going to the golf course and coming home. It started to stumble [stall] but the crazy thing is a buzzing alarm went off like I had it shut down and the lights were on. Once I got going [ out of idle speed] , the skip quit and the buzzing stopped I checked the Cheby forums w/o out any luck. Any of my Olds friends got a clue?
Old June 14th, 2021, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Back Hoe Jamesbo - What year is your 2500?
Old June 14th, 2021, 01:33 PM

Old June 14th, 2021, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

I guess you don't have an OBDII reader to check for codes?
Sounds to me like fuel pump is or has gotten weak. Can you measure fuel pressure? If you're on same OEM fuel pump @ 303,000 miles I'd highly suspect the pump (unfortunately they're in the gas tank).
Old June 14th, 2021, 01:52 PM
Running On Empty

The other thing(s) which may be acting up is if you have fuel injection on that truck. I've replaced my injectors - but when they begin to go, you lose power - the engine struggles under load. There are a couple other things to check: fuel filter under the cab on the frame rail, the throttle position sensor on the right-side of the engine next to the carburetor just under the air cleaner and finally the computer chip (PCM or ECM?) in the glove box - the motherboard goes bad.
Old June 14th, 2021, 01:55 PM

I am *** deep and stalled in a 98 Tahoe fuel pump replacement. Just haven't done it yet. Everything's rusty. A failing pump will not start it, then, once you cheat with gasoline, will give no acceleration. You can test with fuel pressure tester on Schraeder valve on injector system near firewall, driver side, top of engine. Should be 62+ I think psi.
Old June 14th, 2021, 02:00 PM
Running On Empty

Yep, should be a minimum of 62+ psi.
Old June 14th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

Holy Snot Rockets Batman. Delicious.

Old June 14th, 2021, 04:18 PM

Norm so the buzzer is signaling out of fuel? When it's the pump?
Old June 14th, 2021, 04:29 PM
Running On Empty

James, the buzzer/alarm thing I can't really understand to be honest. The only piece of the puzzle I care to venture a SWAG with regards to BOTH a stall/hesitation AND some type of buzzer/alarm going off at the same time would be the (whatever you call yours) - (1) the PCM or ECM in the glove box if the motherboard is going bad (IOW, you were stumbling to the point where you lost ignition and the truck was moving. If the truck loses ignition and the doors open, the seat is occupied and/or the truck is moving - doesn't that also trigger the security alarm much like it's being tampered with?) or, (2) Fuel starvation really is occurring and the engine has lost ignition and (again) the truck is moving with a loss of ignition (security alarm?). I can't really say. The only other thing (aside from the several I mentioned above) is the catalytic converter. If the catalytic converter is 'blocked', you'll lose (obviously) exhaust compression via the exhaust system and an increase in back pressure through the engine. Ever replace the catalytic converter. One way to check is fire up the truck and go for a ride at night. Get the engine good and hot, then look underneath the truck and see if the catalytic converter is red hot.
Old June 14th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out and warm. Not Kenneth warm. Ran an errand this afternoon and took Tiger with me. Had to go into the post office and worried someone would come smash my windows. I haven't heard that battle cry for a couple years. I was in there just a couple minutes. Yes, likely story...

Jamesbo I also suspect a bad fuel pump. Now, let it go a while longer and the engine will die, but will crank hard and start again. Keep letting it go and it will do that a couple times a minute and the battery will go dead. Just don't let it happen when you're about to enter a tunnel going under a big river.

Norm I think a moat is just the thing you need to keep safe from the Moms and Pops auto care. That reminds me of a story. There was this castle, surrounded by a moat of course, and in this moat lived an evil yellow hand. Whenever the drawbridge was lowered and someone wanted to cross, the yellow hand would come out of the moat, grab whoever it was on the bridge, and pull him down into the moat, never to be seen again. As it happened, the castle was running low on supplies and the king was getting worried. No one would volunteer to go out for food and the like, not even the most noble of knights. Finally a page steps up, a small man, and volunteered. The king offered him all the riches of the kingdom if he was successful. So the page sets out across the drawbridge. Here comes the yellow hand, fingers poised to grab the page. But he scurries right through! The fingers grabbing but unsuccessful. A few hours later the page returns, the bridge comes down, and the hand is ready. But, the page gets right through the fingers and into the castle. He is the hero of all. So the moral of the story is, Let Your Pages Do The Walking Through The Yellow Fingers.

So I was at my desk again today. I say, I was at my desk again today. Come on guys it wasn't that funny. Seems I'm still not able to sign for my work at inspection. I've been waiting weeks. So the one guy who works opposite weeks from me worked today and when the lead gets back tomorrow I'm going to have a pow wow with him about it. I'll probably work with the other guy who can still sign the last half of the week. So I'll be at my desk tomorrow as well, might as well go in for overtime.

So bed time. I hope I can sleep this early. Have a good evening eveyone.

Old June 14th, 2021, 04:43 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo is the buzzer the seat belt buzzer? Did the engine actually stop? Does it do this as you're coming to a stop or just taking off? Could be some valve in the trans not relieving pressure, and it's binding the engine. Just as the engine is about to die, the pressure relieves itself, the trans loosens its grip on the engine, and it starts to turn again. You might be getting to a point where the electronic signal is being sent to the buzzer, but at the last nano second the engine continues. I had that happen with the 200R in my Cadillac. don't know of the 4L80 would be the same, just a thought.

Old June 14th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - That's what I was attempting (most likely poorly) above by suggesting the electronics (ignition system) was shutting down then catches back up...as if the truck lost ignition and the security alarm was triggered because the truck was moving then caught back up in the ignition.
Old June 14th, 2021, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I agree it sounds like the fuel pump. I'm betting the fuel pressure is ~20lbs - 30lbs. Just a SWAG
Old June 14th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

Let me say this about that. Triple Sec by itself is a damn strong liqueur.
Old June 14th, 2021, 05:12 PM

James - I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong with your truck. In the center of your grill, there's this bowtie looking thingy. Rip that sucker off and replace it with a pretty blue oval. That baby will run like a Swiss watch!

Norm - Man, you're killing me with those damn spiked berries, I want some real bad! Fortunately, I have a Razzleberry pie in the oven that will be done soon! Now to find a substitution for the Triple Sec! Maybe just a shot or two of Wild Turkey after I've finished my pie!
Old June 14th, 2021, 05:34 PM

Razzleberry Pie just out of the oven. Now I've got to let it cool a good 2-hours.
Old June 15th, 2021, 02:47 AM

Thanks, guys fer all the help, Chris, I removed the bow tie with a crowbar, I'll report back
Old June 15th, 2021, 03:05 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - The Razzleberry looks delicious.

41/39 yesterday @ my club
Playing Minnesott Golf & Country Club this morning tee-time @ 9:00am. Course is nestled along the Neuse River where the Neuse meets the Atlantic Ocean & a pleasant wilderness area. I'll take the ferry over the river to arrive at the course - about a 30' minute drive including the 20' ferry crossing.

James - Stop by someplace to get a quick check on fuel pressure to help identify or eliminate at least one possibility.
Old June 15th, 2021, 03:52 AM

Thanks for all of your help Norm, Hit 'em straight where the mowers go
Old June 15th, 2021, 03:59 AM
Running On Empty

Where the mowers go. Good advice.
waiting on ferry to arrive.
Old June 15th, 2021, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Thanks, guys fer all the help, Chris, I removed the bow tie with a crowbar, I'll report back
James - Only in my dreams is my 2000 Ford ever going to get close to 300K-miles. Mine only has 99K on it, and I'm afraid some part of the frame will rust out before I get to 150K. Your Chebby is pretty fricking amazing getting that many miles out of it! I hope you can figure out the problem soon! Since I'm a crappy mechanic, and had nothing constructive to offer, just thought I'd try to inject a little levity!
Old June 15th, 2021, 04:11 AM

Chris, I'm cheap, I'm gonna drive it until the wheels fall of. I flatly refuse to buy a new truck for mega bucks
Old June 15th, 2021, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I'm cheap, I'm gonna drive it until the wheels fall of. I flatly refuse to buy a new truck for mega bucks
Me too, gonna drive mine until it falls apart! Even used 10-year old trucks with high mileage are going for big bucks, it's nuts. My girls were actually borrowing mine and driving it more than I was until my wife got into the furniture refinishing. I'm glad it's being used more, at least helps justify the inspections, plates, insurance, and personal property taxes! Personal property taxes, what a fricking racket, a yearly tax to enjoy something you paid a huge tax on when you bought the damn thing!
Old June 15th, 2021, 08:32 AM

My pet peeve with new cars are these side mirrors that fold in every time you turn off the key Many new cars have them for no apparant reason other than it's another electric motor to eventually break
Old June 15th, 2021, 10:15 AM

Guess I should count my blessings, I don't have any with mirrors like that.
Old June 15th, 2021, 03:41 PM

Good evening guys,
Got out to the garage early again and knocked out the other side of the 4-4-2 and the polishing of the rear bumper. Now all I have left are the front bumper, wheels, and a little polishing in the engine bay. I hate doing wheels!

My wife found some decent looking used wall cabinets online cheap. There are four, double door cabinets. Dimensions of each are 36"Long x 24" High x 20" Deep. Space is at a premium in my garage so I'm going to hang them out there and hopefully be able to get rid of a couple of free standing shelving units that make getting in/out of the drivers side a PIA in the single bay side. Even if I can just get rid of one of the free standing units it will be a win!

My oldest daughter texted me today and offered to host a Father's Day BBQ at their new place. Sounded good to us, especially since they have a pool. We're going to do it on Satuday instead of Sunday because of the car show I'm planning to go to on Sunday. Sounds like a great weekend if the weather will cooperate, right now it's looking pretty good. Friday, however, is a different matter. Right now I'm seeing projected highs on different sites ranging from 101 - 105. We're approaching the "Kenneth Zone"!

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old June 15th, 2021, 04:40 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

At the desk again. I went in two early and signed 20 wheels by 6. I had plenty of time for more but the urchins that build up the wheels all decided they wouldn't do any more because they didn't want to do more work than the next guy. I said no one would be, IF YOU ALL KEPT WORKING. But hey who am I? These are the same ones who want an incentive to do work. I asked the lead one time, what do they call their paycheck? Eh, young people these days.

Looks like more of the same tomorrow. I got hung up at the credit union this afternoon, I went to see a friend of mine to do some banking and she starts talking and doesn't stop. She doesn't even come up for air. I need to take the dogmobile and the Saturn to get smog tested. The dogmobile picked this week to throw the check engine light. It only stays on for a few days but I'm running short of time, I have to have the test done by Friday afternoon before I leave. Looks like Mom isn't going to get any more patio furniture this trip. I don't have time to clean anything up.

I feel somewhat tired this evening. Maybe because I didn't have my afternoon nap. I'm gonna hit the sack in a minute and get up for OT. Might as well make Hump Day last as long as possible. Well, some people would want to.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old June 15th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

UPDATE: Strawberries soaked in Triple Sec gets better by the hour. After 48 hrs of soaking, they literally melt in your mouth....oh my, oh my, my, my.

Mike - The paycheck isn't an incentive, it's something they get just for showing up at work. Like kids these days in sports - they get a trophy for showing up. Entirely different ballgame these days. It's pathetic, really.
Old June 15th, 2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief

Mike - The paycheck isn't an incentive, it's something they get just for showing up at work. Like kids these days in sports - they get a trophy for showing up. Entirely different ballgame these days. It's pathetic, really.
My biggest disappointment my last 5-years working was watching young new hires come in who had great skills, and were very, very bright, but had absolutely no work ethic, and had a humongous sense of entitlement. These kids would be on the job maybe 6-months and couldn't understand why they hadn't been promoted yet! I think probably at least 50% quit before they had 2-years in, leaving very well paying jobs, with great benefits, and almost 100% job security. Norm - you chose the perfect word, "pathetic"!
Old June 15th, 2021, 05:25 PM
Running On Empty

Last week Lake Mead's water level fell to 1,071.56 feet (above sea level) & the water level continues to fall. Lake Mead is currently holding 37% of its capacity. This is the lowest water level since the dam was completed in 1935 - this is unprecedented. They are predicting the water level could fall to 1025 feet by August. That's a prediction and it's based on several unpredictable scenarios which lay upstream from Hoover Dam - essentially Granby & Glen Canyon (Lake Powell) dams. "If" the water level falls below 950', the Hoover Dam will be unable to produce any electricity. That would be a serious kick in the nut sack. They're already preparing for water cutbacks in California, Nevada & Arizona.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 15th, 2021 at 05:27 PM.
Old June 15th, 2021, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
UPDATE: Strawberries soaked in Triple Sec gets better by the hour. After 48 hrs of soaking, they literally melt in your mouth....oh my, oh my, my, my.
Ya see Norm, I cant spell worth a shyte, I'm a lousy golfer and can't turn a wrench but I can Cook [or in this case mix] glad you are enjoying dem add a boop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle some of the juice syrup over it
Old June 15th, 2021, 10:29 PM
GCH

Hi had a very nice motorcycle ride yesterday with a friend who rides Triumph. Perfect weather , sunny but not so warm
relaxing with a shrimp sandwich near the water Very popular place to wisit in the summertime.

My Harley goes great after computer fixed and a new Motobatt battery.
Visiting a friend on our way home looking at some Norton Commandos in his garage.

Old June 15th, 2021, 11:22 PM

Chris, they showed the high temps predicted for the end of the week on the local weather, indicating that it would stay south of us, but showing St. Louis @ 101° on Friday. I wonder if it will keep going east, giving Norm a treat? We just don't get that heat around here. Around a decade ago it hit 101-105° for a few days, my trip to work is about 20 miles, and I didn't get the car cooled down inside until I drove about 15 miles. That is the only time in my lifetime that it ever got that hot. I don't miss it.
Old June 16th, 2021, 03:21 AM

Speaking of Shrimp. Buy some of this stuff on line and you can make BBQ [ really not BBQ but that's what they call it] Shrimp exactly like Manales' in the Big easy

Cook it and serve it in a cast iron skillet with French bread to sop [ like south fer soak uo de juices]

As Justin Wilson would say, I guarantee you'll love it

Old June 16th, 2021, 04:20 AM

--Woke up yesterday morning at 6:30 from a call from Jean, my Sister in Law, can't be a good thing at that time, though she knows I am usually up at that time, well Carl, brother in law, (the one who almost died it the terrible heart surgery fiasco in Dec '19) got up at 3 am to pee and called to her to help him. His heart rate went up to 116-( pulse) should be 70-80. I have heard when something like that happens, it puts people in a panic, and that was what he felt. She called 911 they came and took him to hospital.
-- They have a place at Frankfort Mich and were up there. So she asked if I would go up there and get the dog. When emt's took Carl in to the hospital in Traverse City, she followed them after putting dog out on a rope attached to a tree. Dog belongs to their daughter and family who took a family trip out west and left dog with Carl and Jean. So wife and I got ready and went up to Frankfort. I had seen this dog before but really wasn't familiar with him, I know how some dogs get all anxiety, etc, so I wanted to get to him as soon as possible. It was not a problem, He growled a little bit when I slowly approached him but was friendly from the start with me and wife. So we brought him back with us. His name is Buster and he is a pleasure. Oh I miss having a dog around, so it is a treat to have him. He has only one problem... well actually 2..... He sheds fur like crazy, and 2nd he is a male, sometimes when playing he starts to do what male young dogs do, even though he's been "fixed".
-- So Carl stayed in the hospital yesterday and last night, his pulse rate came back down. I don't know what they figure happened. Jean thinks that her and Carl will go back to their other house today so they will pick up Buster then.

He's only about a year old but really mellow, I'll miss him.
Old June 16th, 2021, 04:20 AM
Running On Empty

James - You think I'd eat strawberry shortcake without a dollop of vanilla ice cream? The disappointment I'm feeling right now is heart wrenching! Although, perhaps I should be adding a boop - maybe there's a difference? See each of my posts #35409 & #35377
I've always used Old Bay for all of my basic shrimp seasoning since it's a time tested staple for me, but I'm willing to try your suggestion of 'cajun's choice' - it sounds good. I'll have to remember to pickup a couple packets. The picture looks like a packet and not a box or container, correct? I may have seen it in the spice section near the Old Bay - I'll need to check it out since it's highly recommended by the Southern Gentlemen Back Hoe Jamesbo.

Old June 16th, 2021, 05:13 AM

Norm, I use old Bay also, This is a different kind of meal, Made with chopped Onions, Worcestershire sauce and butter + spice package The shrimp aren't boiled they are sautéed . If ya want you can throw away the shrimp and just sop the French bread in aux jjus

If you don't like it.........grits ain't groceries

Greg, You're a class act. Anytime ya wanta house sit 2 or 3 of my wife's cat. Jes let me know
Old June 16th, 2021, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, they showed the high temps predicted for the end of the week on the local weather, indicating that it would stay south of us, but showing St. Louis @ 101° on Friday.
Hi Dan - I've seen forecasts as high as 105 for us on Friday, but like you said most are predicting around 101. Too hot for here. We will usually get maybe 3 to 5-days a summer at 100 or above, but those are usually in July or early August. High 80's is where the temp should be at. I'm not looking forward to Friday!