The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2021, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Here's one I would never have suspected. I was searching some recently sold properties located nearby my home. While searching property locations on Google Maps, I happened to be navigating through an intersection ~1500' from my home & what appears is none other than me driving my '71 CS. The Google Maps indicates it was taken in 2019 and is still the Street View for this location. What are the chances? Crazy.

Norm....that is crazy crazy. Perhaps you should play the power ball for the next month.

now i'm missing my 64 olds convertible.

it's up north and I'm down in Florida for the winter
Old December 15th, 2021, 03:02 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
Norm....that is crazy crazy. Perhaps you should play the power ball for the next month. now i'm missing my 64 olds convertible. it's up north and I'm down in Florida for the winter
Ray - I think I might take you up on the Power Ball suggestion. I never buy any lottery tickets, but exceptions might be in order. Yes, that '64 should be in Florida.
Old December 15th, 2021, 03:29 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Koda
Very nice. Good food for cold season.

So my conveyor is coming in on trucks, and I called a parking lot for a laydown area months ago, and some cars, which turned out, were sitting there for a year or so, grimy, couple flat tires, probably dead battery. Trial cars from previous model changes. My emails went from nice, to insistent, to firm, to one last chance and this engineer was arming himself with a tow truck and moving them. I think my boss believed me when I flashed a towing company's card, and the rest believed me when we moved 'em this AM. I got a good deal, 4 cars put a couple hundred yards away for a hundred or so, and I have plenty left in my budget. I stuck them under a utility trestle, it's no parking, but we'll let facilities find their owners, and I'm not putting them back when done, either.
I like the way you think.
Old December 15th, 2021, 05:23 AM

fb://photo/10220072928193581?set=a.10220072928513589

Mike, [and everyone that likes to eat.] This is a pic of Ma Hull whose famous boarding house in Inman park had wall to wall people eating meat and 3 [ actually 5 meats and 20 different veggies] served family style during the 70's . Along with Ma Hull in the pic are Emmielou Harris [who sand harmony for a while] with the band Little Feet
Old December 15th, 2021, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
fb://photo/10220072928193581?set=a.10220072928513589

Mike, [and everyone that likes to eat.] This is a pic of Ma Hull whose famous boarding house in Inman park had wall to wall people eating meat and 3 [ actually 5 meats and 20 different veggies] served family style during the 70's . Along with Ma Hull in the pic are Emmielou Harris [who sand harmony for a while] with the band Little Feet
James - Really cool picture! Curious what prompted you to post that though???
Old December 15th, 2021, 07:14 AM

Chris, Back in the 70's I used to eat there. Someone on FB posted this pic and it brought back cool memories of home made banana pudding and Wonderful Southern cooking

No I didn't ever eat with anyone famous

Several years ago Mike, John [from the big Easy] Sandy and her husband all met in Downtown Atlanta to tour the Fox theater, Later we ate Lunch at a southern establishment called Mary Mac's [ been there for ever]

Ma Hulls Boarding house food was twice as good, half the price and ten times the quantities [ but she had long since gone home to glory]
Old December 15th, 2021, 07:40 AM

Good morning guys,

Hairy night last night, not for me, but for my wife and step-daughter driving back from CA on the southern route (Hwy 40) that goes all the way from Barstow, CA to Oklahoma City where they'll hit Hwy 44 to StL. They had hoped to make it to Flagstaff, AZ last night but had to stop in Kingman, AZ, a full 200-miles west of Flagstaff because the wind and rain was so strong it was blowing them off the road. We're talking wind gusts of +80-mph, and there was talk of them shutting down a long stretch of the highway. They are back on the road this morning with sunny skies and no wind, so we'll see how far they get, still 1,500-miles to go!

Here in StL, we're supposed to get those same up to 80mph winds late this afternoon into the evening. There is another severe wind and potential tornado advisory in effect for much of the Midwest this evening and overnight, although the worst of it is supposed to be north of StL, we're on the southern edge of the really bad stuff. Gonna have to go out here in a minute and get the cushions off of the deck furniture and store them inside, and pick up any other loose items that could become projectiles.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 15th, 2021, 07:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Day Two of the slowest robot guy ever. Right now I've signed off 11 wheels. Everyone else is well over 20. Lunch in 30, don't know what it will be.

Jamesbo I've never heard of Ma Hull. Sounds like a great place. I thought Wikipedia would mention her but it doesn't. Learned a little bit about Inman Park, though.

We need to plan a get together like that again. We could go see the Cyclorama again, it's supposed to be different.

I walked past the roll up door a little while ago and it was nice out. A bit cool. Gonna see about doing some work to the dogmobile this afternoon.

Okay gotta get ready for the feast. Have a good day everyone.

Old December 15th, 2021, 07:50 AM

https://sealplace.blogspot.com/2015/...ing-house.html

Mike, Here ya go

BTW the Cyclorama has been moved to Buckhead
Old December 15th, 2021, 07:50 AM

Chris, Back in the 70's I used to eat there. Someone on FB posted this pic and it brought back cool memories of home made banana pudding and Wonderful Southern cooking

No I didn't ever eat with anyone famous

Several years ago Mike, John [from the big Easy] Sandy and her husband all met in Downtown Atlanta to tour the Fox theater, Later we ate Lunch at a southern establishment called Mary Mac's [ been there for ever]

Ma Hulls Boarding house food was twice as good, half the price and ten times the quantities [ but she had long since gone home to glory]
James - That's all very interesting, I love history! We have a famous Fox Theater here in St. Louis too, in the style of the very ornate, grand old theaters. Great place to see an acoustical concert. Now I'm interested to see if the original owners of the Atlanta Fox and St. Louis Fox were the same???
Old December 15th, 2021, 07:51 AM
Always room for one more

Chris those are some Hwy 40 Blues for sure. Hope they make better time today. Many years ago my best friend gave me his car, a Saturn wagon, and I flew out to LA and drove back to Atlanta. In Texas, the wind was so strong, and constant, I put the hood up at the gas station and it stayed up without the prop rod. No rain, just wind. I was assaulted by tumbleweeds on the interstate. Continued prayers for their safe return.

Old December 15th, 2021, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris those are some Hwy 40 Blues for sure. Hope they make better time today. Many years ago my best friend gave me his car, a Saturn wagon, and I flew out to LA and drove back to Atlanta. In Texas, the wind was so strong, and constant, I put the hood up at the gas station and it stayed up without the prop rod. No rain, just wind. I was assaulted by tumbleweeds on the interstate. Continued prayers for their safe return.
Mike - Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, much appreciated!
Old December 15th, 2021, 08:17 AM

James - Here is what I found out about the the Atlanta and St. Louis, Fox Theaters:

"The Fox (St. Louis) was built in 1929 by movie pioneer William Fox as a showcase for the films of the Fox Film Corporation and elaborate stage shows. It was one of a group of five spectacular Fox Theatres built by Fox in the late 1920s. (The others were the Fox Theatres in Brooklyn, Atlanta, Detroit, and San Francisco.)"

Here's a couple pics of the Fox StL.

Lobby Area

Old December 15th, 2021, 08:24 AM

Chris, Glad everyone is OK, Mother Nature is one lady I don't mess with

Interesting, I never knew there were so many Foxes
Old December 15th, 2021, 08:39 AM

Chris, Glad everyone is OK, Mother Nature is one lady I don't mess with

Interesting, I never knew there were so many Foxes
Thanks James! I didn't know either, learned something new today, so it's a good day!
Old December 15th, 2021, 11:38 AM

Chris, I warned ya there was a storm a'comin. Saw on the news thins morning that I-40 was closed in 3 areas due to the snow accumulation. Hopefully ADOT was able to plow it all and get traffic moving. I haven't checked to see the current status, but they are usually very good at getting the roads open quickly.
Old December 15th, 2021, 12:22 PM
Always room for one more

Well lunch was good. Everyone complained because it was Sonny's. Again. I didn't care, I like Sonny's. And it was a nice meal brought in. We missed our mark by a good 12 wheels, and everyone pointed their finger at my slow robot guy. We'll see if the lead says anything.

Jamesbo I don't think it was too long after we were there that the Cyclorama moved. Then-mayor Reed wanted it to be in his new culture area. Whatever. Supposedly they added several panels that couldn't be hung before because there wasn't enough space.

I saw Jerry Seinfeld at the Fox several years ago. Sat right down in front, I think Row 10. Pretty neat being in there with people, and without. AT&T could make a lot of money renting out their parking deck(that was supposed to be built on the Fox site) for people going to shows. When I went with a friend the parking was horrible.

Okay off to run a couple errands. Overcast and cold this afternoon. Two more to go. Yay.

Old December 15th, 2021, 01:52 PM
Running On Empty

I received confirmation today I'm working as a Marshal for the U.S.G.A. 2022 77th U.S. Women's Open hosted @ Pine Needles Lodge & Golf Club, Southern Pines, N.C., June 2-5, 2022. No additional information was provided such as shifts and/or hole #. I grabbed a 2 bedroom condominium not far (6 miles) from the club in Pinehurst, NC before rates go up and lodging choices become dismal. I can already smell Lexi standing next to me.
Old December 15th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Chris, I warned ya there was a storm a'comin. Saw on the news thins morning that I-40 was closed in 3 areas due to the snow accumulation. Hopefully ADOT was able to plow it all and get traffic moving. I haven't checked to see the current status, but they are usually very good at getting the roads open quickly.
Kenneth - You sure did! They didn't see much snow by the time they stopped in Kingman last night, just alot of rain and helacious winds. They didn't mention about much snow accumulation this morning, but there was snow on the highway in places, and they encountered 3 different stop and go traffic jams because of wrecks between Kingman and Flagstaff. By the time they got to Flagstaff they were 2 and 1/2-hours behind where they should have been.
Old December 15th, 2021, 02:44 PM

I received confirmation today I'm working as a Marshal for the U.S.G.A. 2022 77th U.S. Women's Open hosted @ Pine Needles Lodge & Golf Club, Southern Pines, N.C., June 2-5, 2022. No additional information was provided such as shifts and/or hole #. I grabbed a 2 bedroom condominium not far (6 miles) from the club in Pinehurst, NC before rates go up and lodging choices become dismal. I can already smell Lexi standing next to me.
Norm - Congratulations, that's great, I bet you'll have a ball!
Old December 15th, 2021, 02:52 PM

Great architecture on the Fox theater, really cool. Those winds are headed this way a well, but much more sedate, about 30mph, with gusts up to 60 mph. After dinner with friends last saturday, we went to one of the couple's house for toddies, no power, as the winds from last weekend's system had knocked it out, he commmented that the neighbors are going to be pissed, as he flipped the switch on for the generator.
Old December 15th, 2021, 03:06 PM

Good evening guys,

If you read my response to Kenneth above you know my wife and step-daughter are having a really tough time just trying to get through Arizona. They would not be fairing any better if they had tried to take the northern route up to Denver and then east on 70 through Kansas. There was a snow storm front coming into Denver, and a severe wind advisory across all of Kansas tonight, and Tornado warnings across Kansas, Iowa, and northern Missouri. Many schools were closed in Kansas today because straight line winds out ahead of the front were supposed to exceed 80mph. What a frickin nightmare.

Hope you all had a great day, and please say a few prayers for my wife, at this point she just wants to get the hell back home.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 15th, 2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old December 15th, 2021, 03:35 PM
Always room for one more

I may have said this before. I want a caboose. During my many long waits for a wheel this afternoon I was looking around for a caboose. One guy said they are cheep like 2-4000$ . One guy said they were 25000. I live close to a couple different set of tracks, but I'm guessing it would be most of 10,000 to get it from the tracks to my house. Crane, flatbed, road permits, I wonder what it would cost for a helicopter to lift it up and fly it to my house.

I don't think of snow when I think of Arizona. I've driven that route but in the summer. Also one time I was in LA and was driving home to Illinois. The way I got out there was the Route 66 way. But coming home I wanted to stop in Moline and see my Grandma. So I took the 5 STRAIGHT NORTH for 5 hours to San Francisco to get I-80. That took me I don't know how many hundreds of miles north and then south again as it arced across the country. It took me a full four days to get to Moline. It would have taken less time going the southern route and then doubling back.

Early again tomorrow. I like the overtime but it gets old. Time to hit the sack. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old December 15th, 2021, 04:04 PM

Early again tomorrow. I like the overtime but it gets old. Time to hit the sack. Hope everyone has a good evening.
You're telling me, hoss. I think I'm working every day 12/6 to 1/14.
Old December 15th, 2021, 05:34 PM

Chris, perhaps the best thing for your wife and stepdaughter is to find a decent hotel and wait the storm out rather than trying to drive in it.
Old December 15th, 2021, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, perhaps the best thing for your wife and stepdaughter is to find a decent hotel and wait the storm out rather than trying to drive in it.
Dan - You're absolutely right, that's why they stopped early last night and didn't go all the way to Flagstaff on I-40, which is the southern route going east. The southern storm passed them during the night, and they had low winds and sunshine today. There is a more northern storm today into tomorrow, coming east out of Denver following I-70 across Kansas, but that should not effect them.
Old December 15th, 2021, 06:06 PM
Running On Empty

Ralph - The best thing would have been to never have allowed your wife to get in the car with your stepdaughter. That granddaughter is a work of art.
Old December 15th, 2021, 06:26 PM

Ralph - The best thing would have been to never have allowed your wife to get in the car with your stepdaughter. That granddaughter is a work of art.
Norm - The girl is her daughter, my step-daughter, and regarding her being "a work of art", 100% Roger That! As for "allowing" my wife to do anything, she's as strong willed as they come, which we both know can be a blessing and a curse. Buddy, you got to know I'm in a lose/lose scenario interjecting myself in the middle of that $hit!
Old December 15th, 2021, 06:41 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Everything will (hopefully) turn out just fine & you’ll be back to hauling furniture by next weekend. I suspect your wife will be bending your ears with a couple of juicy stories of her trip. 🤭
Old December 15th, 2021, 06:58 PM
Running On Empty

I took Ray’s suggestion. The last lottery ticket I bought was probably two years ago. I most likely contributed $20 to wherever all this lottery money goes. There’s a good chance I won’t even have chosen one of the numbers. But hey, at $333 million buckaroos, I’d hate to think I didn’t at least try on a day I also sank two 30’ downhill putts - one for par one for birdie.

Old December 15th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Jeff

The Fox Theatre in Detroit is also still alive and well, owned by the Ilitch Family (Little Caesar's Pizza empire, and owner of the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings). I've been there twice, once to see Jerry Seinfeld, and the other time to see Greta Van Fleet. It's always great when cities have managed to keep those old theaters in operation, and even better when they are kept up to their former glory days.
Old December 15th, 2021, 07:51 PM

I don't think of snow when I think of Arizona.
Yeah, most folks don’t. Denver is known for the “mile high” thing and being snowy and such, but that’s only 5280 feet. Flagstaff, AZ is at 7000 feet, at the base of the San Francisco Peaks, with Mount Humphreys that reaches 14,000 feet. Going east from there the Mogollon Rim is around 7000 feet all the way to New Mexico, with the White Mountains at 11,000 feet. So yeah, at those elevations there is typically quite a bit of snow in the winter.
Old December 15th, 2021, 08:01 PM
Running On Empty

I climbed Mt. Humphrey’s summer 1983.
Old December 15th, 2021, 08:28 PM

Yeah Mt. Humphreys is a very popular hike as it’s so easily accessible being right outside of Flagstaff. You can start a hike in the morning and be back in town having a beer later in the afternoon.

My favorite hike was in the Escudilla Wilderness between Alpine and Springerville. That trail started at 9000 feet. Other fun ones were Rogers Canyon in the Superstition Wilderness and Cherry Creek in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness. Both areas have cliff dwellings that are over 600 years old that you can hike to and explore. No no park ranger stations, guard rails, etc, just some cliff dwellings nestled in the side of sheer cliff faces.
I affectionately (?) refer to Cooper Forks as “the death march” due to its grueling ruggedness - we climbed 1200 feet elevation in 1/4 mile - and not only did we run out of water on the way back but my right boot sole liberated itself and I had to wrap the boot laces around my foot to keep the sole on.

Cherry Creek cliff dwellings:

Cooper Forks cliff dwellings:

The view on the way up to Cooper Forks:

Rogers Canyon cliff dwellings:

Rogers Canyon was the only one with any type of signage:

Last edited by Fun71; December 15th, 2021 at 09:11 PM.
Old December 15th, 2021, 09:02 PM

Chris - Everything will (hopefully) turn out just fine & you’ll be back to hauling furniture by next weekend. I suspect your wife will be bending your ears with a couple of juicy stories of her trip. 🤭
Norm - I'm sure your right. They're pushing on to Amarillo (hopefully before morning - pun intended) tonight. They hope to be back here late tomorrow night. I think Amarillo is still about 750-miles out from StL, that'll be a long day.
Old December 15th, 2021, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
The Fox Theatre in Detroit is also still alive and well, owned by the Ilitch Family (Little Caesar's Pizza empire, and owner of the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings). I've been there twice, once to see Jerry Seinfeld, and the other time to see Greta Van Fleet. It's always great when cities have managed to keep those old theaters in operation, and even better when they are kept up to their former glory days.
Jeff - I've never been to the Fox in Detroit, but glad it is still in operation and being kept up. Those kind of theaters are national treasures.
Old December 15th, 2021, 09:21 PM
Running On Empty

I’ve been to the Superstitions - what a great area. My ex-wife and I camped and hiked several areas near the cliff dwellings. One of her sisters held a PhD in Anthropology & as I recall a portion of her dissertation involved research associated with the cliff dwellings. This would have been in the 1970s.

I’ve spent considerable time in the Chiricahua Mtns. - a very unique habitat. Lots of very unique habitats throughout New Mexico, Arizona and South into Mexico. All of which was at one time located South of the Equator. But that was a couple years ago.
Old December 15th, 2021, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yeah Mt. Humphreys is a very popular hike as it’s so easily accessible being right outside of Flagstaff. You can start a hike in the morning and be back in town having a beer later in the afternoon.

My favorite hike was in the Escudilla Wilderness between Alpine and Springerville. That trail started at 9000 feet. Other fun ones were Rogers Canyon in the Superstition Wilderness and Cherry Creek in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness. Both areas have cliff dwellings that are over 600 years old that you can hike to and explore. No no park ranger stations, guard rails, etc, just some cliff dwellings nestled in the side of sheer cliff faces.
I affectionately (?) refer to Cooper Forks as “the death march” due to its grueling ruggedness - we climbed 1200 feet elevation in 1/4 mile - and not only did we run out of water on the way back but my right boot sole liberated itself and I had to wrap the boot laces around my foot to keep the sole on.
Kenneth - Awesome hikes and pics! My wife and I are big hikers, although we haven't went on a major hiking trip since 2016, when we hiked 106-miles in 10 days doing day hikes in Rocky Mtn. National Park and the surrounding area. Most of the hikes were between 12K and 13.5K-ft. We hiked up to the "Keyhole" at 13,500 on Longs Peak that has a 3,800-ft. elevation gain over 6.2-miles. We did not want to attempt the final summit without a guide, just too many deaths on that stretch unless you're with someone who really knows the route. We did go all the way to the tops of Mt. Ida and Hallet Peak. I love being in the mountains, hiking or hunting.
Old December 16th, 2021, 03:29 AM

Norm.....
ya never know.Good luck. I might buy a ticket every 2 or 3 years.
Old December 16th, 2021, 03:56 AM

Thanks for those pics Ken, Rogers Canyon- know it well named after my great grandpops! Yeah, right. never been there but looks fantastic! Well the winds are here. Still warm but sposta get cold. Looks like power is out on other side of lake, ours still on. I am cheap and hate to spend money, but I'm pretty sure a whole house LP gas powered generator is going to be purchased and installed next summer. We lose power a lot here. Now I have a 4000 watt gasoline generator and a " illegal" back feed cord. It will run the whole house except for electric water heater, but is a PIA to drag out, hook up and start, and wife can't do it. Neighbors have the whole house unit and when power goes out they have a 5 second blip and then comes back on on generator, and vice versa when utility power comes back on. Only drawback it uses a lot of LP. If your tank is getting low you could run out. Well for now I have a flashlight near and am ready to go hook up gen. if needed.