The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2021, 08:09 AM
Running On Empty

I've made a couple sweet cheese pies in the past, many years ago. They were pretty tasty.
Old December 19th, 2021, 08:19 AM

Mike, The only Porsche I would like is a Kubelwagon

Old December 19th, 2021, 08:45 AM

Volkswagen Thing?

Old December 19th, 2021, 10:47 AM

Good afternoon guys,

Only 35° here at 1230, which is the projected high for today, looking at a low of 21° overnight. They're projecting a high of 65° during the day on Christmas Eve, there won't be any white Christmas around here, just the usual crazy Midwestern weather!

Joy of joys, gotta go to a 1st b-day party for my wife's niece's little boy this afternoon. It's almost an hours drive there and I'm just praying we don't stay too long!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old December 19th, 2021, 10:54 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Joy of joys, gotta go to a 1st b-day party for my wife's niece's little boy this afternoon. It's almost an hours drive there and I'm just praying we don't stay too long!
The reason you need a hidden kill switch in your daily driver. "Sorry folks, car won't start".
Old December 19th, 2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The reason you need a hidden kill switch in your daily driver. "Sorry folks, car won't start".
Yes, but I'd need one in the truck too!
Old December 19th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Yes, but I'd need one in the truck too!
It's easy to release 25 lbs of air pressure from the two front tires. "Sorry folks, not our lucky day."
Old December 19th, 2021, 12:05 PM

Does anyone wonder why Norm is single?
Old December 19th, 2021, 12:46 PM
Running On Empty

James - Remember when I asked for your opinion? Me neither. I hope your wife brings a date to your funeral. You’re the reason a middle finger was created. Have a nice day, somewhere else.
Old December 19th, 2021, 12:59 PM

Norm, Be Sweet, I just didn't think you advise to Chris was helpful
Old December 19th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Running On Empty

It wasn't meant to be helpful. It was meant to be humorous (to those with a sense of humor). Seriously...
Old December 19th, 2021, 01:06 PM

It wasn't meant to be helpful. It was meant to be humorous (to those with a sense of humor). Seriously...
hahaha

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Old December 19th, 2021, 02:25 PM
Always room for one more

Chris was this just sprung upon you today? Why do people have to throw 1 year olds a party anyway. It's not like they give a $hit. Just an excuse for people to drink with their friends when the kids are around. I'm with Norm, drain all the gas out of the cars. Except, it's after 5 you're probably already there. Well, drink up!

Jamesbo with your affection for the Amphicar I would have guessed you'd want a Schwimmwagen.

Norm that would be, Me either.

So I used my lift for the first time today. Changed the oil in the dogmobile. The dogmobile is tall and with the garage door up it won't go up far enough for me to stand under, but it was high enough I could work fairly easily. And it beat the hell out of laying on my back on the ground. Of course what I really wanted to do was change spark plugs. But I didn't have the right tools over there. Maybe I can do that during the week. Otherwise I'll have to take the pickup to my Mom's. The dogmobile has a miss that comes and goes and I'm pretty sure it's a bad plug.

Early night, overtime tomorrow and all week. The lead just sent a group text saying everyone really needs to come in so we can get out early Thursday. I'll be there, but I'm guessing not many of the young guys will be.

Old December 19th, 2021, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris was this just sprung upon you today? Why do people have to throw 1 year olds a party anyway. It's not like they give a $hit. Just an excuse for people to drink with their friends when the kids are around. I'm with Norm, drain all the gas out of the cars. Except, it's after 5 you're probably already there. Well, drink up!
Mike - It wasn't sprung on me today, I knew it was coming. I believe parents have partys for 1-yr. olds because they want to see their young child have a fun day on their birthday, regardless of whether the child remembers it or not. Most of these types of parties I've been to, including ones for my own girls, the child had fun opening and playing with presents, and diving into cake and ice cream. Plus, relatives and friends get a chance to see the child. No drinking at this party, it was a non-drinking household. Come to think of it, most children's parties I've been to, drinking has not been involved. It wasn't horrible, we weren't there too long, the food was good, but most of all, it brought joy to my wife, and to her niece that we were there.
Old December 20th, 2021, 04:05 AM

I used to feel the same about going to young uns birthday parties, school games, in fact any thing, I guess. But I always went and acted happy to see everyone and guess what? Soon I got to like those people and actually did have fun. I married my wife as my first wife and I was her 2nd husband with 2 step boys. But I was only 29 and she was 35. Anyway I was younger but I immediately dropped the "her" when I referred to members of her family. My, or maybe our, niece- not "her niece", etc. Mostly used "my son" not her son or stepson for the boys... etc. After all you intend to stay married till the end right? So her family is now yours- I feel when you marry a previously married woman, you marry her whole family, not just her. Sorry Chris- none of my business but that has worked for me....
Old December 20th, 2021, 04:13 AM

Greg, Very true an d that's exactly why my grandfather said, "Always marry and orphan"
Old December 20th, 2021, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Anyway I was younger but I immediately dropped the "her" when I referred to members of her family. My, or maybe our, niece- not "her niece", etc. Mostly used "my son" not her son or stepson for the boys... etc. After all you intend to stay married till the end right? So her family is now yours- I feel when you marry a previously married woman, you marry her whole family, not just her. Sorry Chris- none of my business but that has worked for me....
Greg - No need to apologize, I value everyone's opinions on this thread, and in this case I agree with you 100%, when you make the decision to marry someone, you're also marrying into her/his family. Around people that know us I always refer to any of the kids as "our" kids, but if it is someone that doesn't know us very well, I usually use step-daughter or step-son so someone can understand the family dynamic, at least until they know who I'm talking about. I almost have to do that in our case because my wife's oldest daughter is named Taylor, and my oldest daughter is also named Taylor.

Kinda wish I'd never even brought up about having to go to the great nephew's b-day party yesterday, should have just kept my trap shut and not been such a whiner. Like I said to Mike after we got back yesterday afternoon, we actually had a good time and everyone was happy. Case closed, live, and hopefully learn!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 20th, 2021 at 06:26 AM.
Old December 20th, 2021, 08:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Lunch is done(lunch is at 11) but I'm still on break because my wall guy is MIA. He did pretty well this morning, but lunch interrupted his focus. Eh, I'm already two over what I need for the day. We're all going to do extra all week so we can get out extra early Thursday. We're off Friday.

Chris I'm glad you had a good time at the party. I'm the same way a lot of times. I don't want to go to [whatever] but once I'm there I have a good time.

Got a couple of errands to run after work. I neglected to send off the electric bill and today is when it's due, so Tiger and I will go to the office and pay it this afternoon. I might attempt the spark plugs in the dogmobile. Shouldn't take too long.

Well have a good afternoon everyone.

Old December 20th, 2021, 10:37 AM

Mike,

Inquiring minds

What does a "Wall guy" do? or supposed to do ?
Old December 20th, 2021, 12:02 PM
Always room for one more

The wall guys get the wheel assembly after the tie bolts have been torqued and the tire filled with nitrogen. He puts the bearings and seals in and leak checks the bead, valve stem, and any plug that's in the rim. When he is done with his work the wheel assembly is ready to go back on the plane. My job after the wall guy is to sign the assembly as airworthy and return it to service. I was also curious as to why the wall guy is named that. There are 8 cages lined up that the tires are inflated in, so it's a wall of cages. Hence, the wall guy.

I was guitar hero today, finishing up with 45 wheels. The other guys were in the 20s. I had two wall guys for awhile so I got ahead. Hope it keeps up.

Question for the informed. When a wheel/tire with a split ring/safety ring doesn't have any air in it, is it still dangerous? I have several to get apart and wonder what I should do with them. I guess find a truck shop that will mess with them. I have no idea how they go together or come apart.

Nice out, a little overcast but cold as hell. Rain seems to be gone. I'm ready for the nice weather again. One more day and the days quit getting shorter.

Okay off I go. Electric Company then the post office.

Last edited by slantflat; December 20th, 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old December 21st, 2021, 02:40 AM

Norm, Mike, [and other ole pharts] I don't know why I haven't said anything before about this stuff. But this is a really good product for pains like arthritis and other joint pains

Old December 21st, 2021, 12:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Did great this morning, then my good wall guy went to the robot and my replacement wall guy is a scatterbrain. We still did well in the shop, and it all counts towards an early out on Thursday.

Must be great weather everywhere but here, and everyone is out enjoying it. Or everyone is a pain and Jamesbo's picture took everyone away. hehe. Been raining here but it isn't now, but it's cold and dreary. Dare I say dank.

Didn't go in early today because I didn't sleep with nothin' last night. I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Might run a couple more errands today. I gotta go over to the other house and bring in the trash can. Might as well do something while I'm out.

Old December 21st, 2021, 12:40 PM

"Because the little tykes enjoy it", even if we don't remember it.
Old December 21st, 2021, 12:45 PM

Well, Here's a new one. I renewed my tags a few weeks ago online and got the pile back only one of them didn't have the sticker
Old December 21st, 2021, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Well, Here's a new one. I renewed my tags a few weeks ago online and got the pile back only one of them didn't have the sticker
James - I think some DMV worker's child needed a renewal!
Old December 21st, 2021, 02:42 PM

Good evening guys,

Cold start to the day at 22°, and only got to about 45°, but at least it was sunny. It's still projected to be 70° the afternoon of Christmas Eve.

Well $hit, got word today that the father of the household where we went to the b-day party on Sunday tested positive for Covid. Wife and I were both in close proximity to him throughout the time we were there. Just hoping now that we don't come down with it and have to miss our Christmas Eve with the daughter's on my side. Just because of the way things have been trending with the Omicron variant, we picked up 4 rapid tests at Walmart yesterday. The current plan is to take a rapid test late Friday morning, and if they are negative, and we do not have a fever or other symptoms, we will be able to go. Otherwise, we will have to stay home to protect everyone else.

We're having breakfast for supper at my suggestion. Scrambled eggs, thick sliced bacon, fried potatoes, and homemade biscuits. My wife is cooking it up as I'm typing this and the great smells are driving me crazy!

Hope everyone had a great day and has a relaxing evening!

Old December 21st, 2021, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

It all starts today.

2 x 360 = 720
720/60 = 12

What day is today bitches?
Old December 21st, 2021, 03:45 PM

It all starts today.

2 x 360 = 720
720/60 = 12

What day is today bitches?
Sorry Norm, don't have a clue!
Old December 21st, 2021, 03:46 PM
Running On Empty

Winter Solstice
Old December 21st, 2021, 03:52 PM
Running On Empty

Ooops. Bad math. My bad.
2’/day X 180 days = 360’
360’/60’/hr = 6+ hrs additional daylight
Oh yeah. Bring it on.
Old December 21st, 2021, 03:57 PM

Ooops. Bad math. My bad.
2’/day X 180 days = 360’
360’/60’/hr = 6+ hrs additional daylight
Oh yeah. Bring it on.
Agree 100%. I really wish Missouri would vote to go to DST year round like a couple of states have!
Old December 21st, 2021, 03:57 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Worse case scenario it’s Omicron they contracted hopefully. Omicron is primarily infecting youth between 2 yrs - 19 yrs (globally). Mild to moderate symptoms likened to any of the 300+ Coronaviruses which already infect humans with the common cold.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:05 PM
Running On Empty

Of course, I have seen not one, that’s right, not one single journalist report on the most debilitating severity associated with original SARS-CoV-2 or the Delta variant to distinguish between those symptoms and Omicron - cytokine storm. How quickly they forget how to report the most significant information. Well, I guess they first have to understand that which they purport to be reporting. Omicron severity is NOT witness to debilitating cytokine storms.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:05 PM

Chris - Worse case scenario it’s Omicron they contracted hopefully. Omicron is primarily infecting youth between 2 yrs - 19 yrs (globally). Mild to moderate symptoms likened to any of the 300+ Coronaviruses which already infect humans with the common cold.
Norm - Appreciate the thought and info. We're both vaccinated and boosted so we're not really worried about serious illness. We're just hoping we don't have to quarantine and miss Christmas with the kids.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Thus far Omicron, while far more transmissible, it is ~10 times less efficient at replication. Which is why it is mild to moderate symptoms - more like a whiny, sneezing, dripping, sinus infection often times with mild headaches requiring no more than stay at home treatment like the common cold. I am NOT downplaying Omicron, simply regurgitating facts thus far. We e learned tons about SARS-CoV-2. There now exist on the order of 100+ SARS-CoV-2 variants. Add this to the pool of the most common coronaviruses to infect humans and you have a virtual cesspool of what’s becoming more common cold viruses. Rhinoviruses still make up the majority of common colds, and when it’s not a Rhinovirus it’s a coronavirus. **** happens.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:17 PM
Running On Empty

Well, the only reason I’d quarantine is if it’s a positive rtPCR for SARS-CoV-2 or it’s Delta variant. A home test kit will not tell you which it is. So, I guess you have to treat it as a worse case scenario.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

There are now 40 variants of Omicron circulating.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:24 PM

**** happens.
Yep, sho nuff!
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

Sho nuff…there are 160+ Rhinovirus serotypes floating amongst us which infect humans. Coronaviruses may be similar. It’s been remarkable in my lifetime to witness the degree of specificity we can associate and disassociate genomic viral variants. All within an extraordinarily brief period of time. Watson & Crick published the double stranded DNA papers in 1952 - all within our lifetimes. We now establish viral variants based upon amino acid substitutions - this all occurs at the level of the genome. In the case of SARS-CoV-2 it’s the positive sense s.s. RNA molecule. It’s mind boggling the advances we’ve made.
Old December 21st, 2021, 04:37 PM

Well, the only reason I’d quarantine is if it’s a positive rtPCR for SARS-CoV-2 or it’s Delta variant. A home test kit will not tell you which it is. So, I guess you have to treat it as a worse case scenario.
Norm - I agree with your analysis 100%, that you really shouldn't have to worry about quarantining if it is only Omicron. However, with both my daughters being nurses, if they were to get a breakthrough infection, even Omicron, they would have to mandatory report and 10-day quarantine from work. With the Healthcare Systems already being stressed here, I would hate to be the one to give it to them, and for them to have to miss work. Also, there will be other older family members on my SIL's side at this Christmas Eve celebration, and I have no idea whether any of them may have underlying conditions.