The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2021, 05:31 AM

Norm,
Yes, this one is a whole body burial

We bury both ashes and whole body w/o embalming, or concrete vaults and allow only biodegradable caskets

Yes, the family is flying in from all over the country. I usually don't ask alot of questions . I 'think" the parents were from Georgia. Mon is buried in a tradition cemetery in a near by town The daughters want mom and dad together

I can not imagine a situation where a family would ship a while body only to be cremated . Doesn't make alot of sense
Old December 13th, 2021, 05:44 AM
Running On Empty

James - Sounds interesting. I was under the impression a traditional cemetery required either burial of a whole body which has been embalmed (and placed into a non-biodegradable casket) or ashes. I get the point of biodegradable caskets used to bury a whole body without embalming fluid in your green cemetery, but how does a previously buried body (assumed to have been embalmed) get moved into your green cemetery? Perhaps an "exception"? After all, an embalmed body is going to completely decay eventually - inside a biodegradable casket or without a casket. I trust these people have deep pockets.
Old December 13th, 2021, 05:57 AM

Norm, I really don't know their finances.

Yes, We are making an exception to accommodated the family

FWIW there is also a "new" biodegradable embalming fluid which we allow

I am NOT a green ****, In reality we all have parts [hips, filling etc] that will never decompose

There is another green cemetery owner [ in another state] that thinks all graves should be dug by hand and ropes used to lower caskets He also plants a trillium on every gave and says ,it's "natural " I say he;s gardening but that's JMHO
Old December 13th, 2021, 06:19 AM
Running On Empty

James - I'm sure you don't pry into personal finances of your clients, but to have a body exhumed from one cemetery & moved to a different cemetery isn't going to be inexpensive (assuming the operation isn't occurring via moonlight grave robbers). Lots of logistics & expense involved in this non-typical burial ceremony.
Old December 13th, 2021, 06:43 AM

Norm, I really don't know all of the details of expense. I've been told the court has to order it after getting the Ok from ALL FAMILY MEMBERS

I'm guessing that they will leave the concrete vault [a.k.a. out burial container] in the ground Nothing like leaving a $1000 piece of concrete buried
Old December 13th, 2021, 07:13 AM

Good morning guys,

Cold here this morning, only 33° at 0830, but sunny out.

My step-daughter that was here with our grandaughter is here in town again and has been staying with some friends. Apparently they flew in from California (out of Las Vegas) to escape her "new" husband of 6-months. At only 25-years old, this is this step-daughter's 3rd marriage, all to guy's in the military, and basically it's her 3rd marriage in the last 3-years. Her 1st husband, our grandaughter's father, committed suicide 3-years ago. I know I alluded to it the last time they were here, but this step-daughter is a real piece of work.

Bad news is, this step-daughter has conned my wife (her mom) into flying back to Las Vegas (where her car is in long term parking) with her to get her car, then driving to Ft. Irwin near Barstow to get her belongings, and then back to StL. I am taking them to the AP this afternoon and the plan is for them to be back here sometime Thursday. Guess we'll see how that goes??? My wife is not looking forward to it, and neither am I, but feels she must go to help her daughter. Of course, I'm smart enough to stay the hell out of it, and will be supportive to the point my conscious will allow. My wife is worried Monty is going to have a meltdown, and he might, because she's never spent a night away from him, and he's REALLY a Momma's boy.

Well, that's gonna be my excitement for the week, 100% dog sitter, and worrying about them getting out there and back alright. Hope everyone has a great day, and week!
Old December 13th, 2021, 07:42 AM

Chris, My grandfather used to say, "Always marry an orphan" [ no family] I often wish I had listened
Old December 13th, 2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, My grandfather used to say, "Always marry an orphan" [ no family] I often wish I had listened
James - Obviously your Grandfather was a wise man!
Old December 13th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Jeff

Mike, your likely dryer culprits:
  1. Heating element
  2. Thermal fuse
  3. Thermal switch
All can be tested with a multimeter for conductivity, and done pretty quickly. Visually, if it's the heating element, that's really easy to determine if it's bad, because the wire coil will have a break in it. However, you usually have to pull it all the way out to see, so it's easier to use the multimeter to check everything first, so that you're not disconnecting and removing parts that don't need to come out.
Old December 13th, 2021, 02:50 PM

Chris, sorry to hear of all the drama, etc w/your stepdaughter. You are smart to just keep quiet and do as your wife says. After all it is her daughter and she loves her with all faults. I have found that any time I have "stood up" against something in the family I always end up with a huge regret. I will do almost anything to avoid a regret. But once they happen you cant' take 'em back. You're a good man for supporting your wife's decisions. It will all work out...
--Well today I started repairing some swiss cheese on the sandblasted body parts of old truck. It was actually warm enough to have garage door open, but hands got cold and quit about 5. Wow, it's so terrible about the Tornados in Kentucky!
Old December 13th, 2021, 03:17 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not a bad Monday. Things kind of fell apart in the end because we ran out of parts. I don't know how that happens. But we finished up and left on time.

Nice day here, almost warm but the sun was out, so that helped. Says the guy stuck in the bunker all day. It was nice this afternoon when I left work and was doing things at the other house.

Jamesbo this might be an obvious question, why didn't the family just have dad buried next to mom, instead of disturbing mom and finding a different cemetery?

Norm and Jeff, I was really just being wise. I have no inclination to take the dryer apart and put any money into it. It wasn't an expensive piece to begin with, and for simplicity's sake I would rather go buy another inexpensive dryer and be done with it. Maybe when the new one craps out in 20 years I'll look into it.

Chris you're a better man than I. I might take on the bad husband role and tell the wife she couldn't go. I know she's a big girl and make her own decisions. Not the best of ideas having two women driving alone, three if you count the little girl, across country. Why is she escaping the husband? If the daughter only has enough stuff to fit in a car, can't she just leave it and replace it in St Louis? Joy of joys, she'll be around all the time now.

Well I guess I am Max. I get my neighbor's mail from down the street. The house numbers are the same but he's the next street down. Every time I take him his mail, he says Hi Max. I've told him I don't know how many times what my name is, he keeps calling me Max. That's okay, I'll be Max. He's a funny old codger. I'm sure he was ornery when he was younger.

Okay off to bed soon, up early tomorrow for overtime. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old December 13th, 2021, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, sorry to hear of all the drama, etc w/your stepdaughter. You are smart to just keep quiet and do as your wife says. After all it is her daughter and she loves her with all faults. I have found that any time I have "stood up" against something in the family I always end up with a huge regret. I will do almost anything to avoid a regret. But once they happen you cant' take 'em back. You're a good man for supporting your wife's decisions. It will all work out...
--Well today I started repairing some swiss cheese on the sandblasted body parts of old truck. It was actually warm enough to have garage door open, but hands got cold and quit about 5. Wow, it's so terrible about the Tornados in Kentucky!
Greg - Thanks so much for the kind and encouraging thoughts! I have a REALLY good woman, and of course she loves her daughter, despite her faults, thanks for reminding me of that.

If you have the time and think of it, shoot us a couple of pics of the work on your truck from time to time so we can watch your progress. I'm envious of guys like you that can actually perform that type of resto!
Old December 13th, 2021, 04:14 PM
Running On Empty

Max - Start telling me when you are and you are not being a wise A$$ so I don't spend needless time & effort making keystrokes in a vain attempt to assist you. You old codger.

My score (44/40) doesn't reflect how well I struck the ball today - well, the front nine does not. Generally, the back nine is the most difficult - I had two birdies on the back nine but finished w/ a double-bogie on 18. It took me 10 holes to figure out I was not following through finishing my swing. Instead, striking the ball in what I refer to as a hockey swing - that doesn't work so well in golf.

Greg - You're making me hungry talking about Swiss cheese.
Old December 13th, 2021, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris you're a better man than I. I might take on the bad husband role and tell the wife she couldn't go. I know she's a big girl and make her own decisions. Not the best of ideas having two women driving alone, three if you count the little girl, across country. Why is she escaping the husband? If the daughter only has enough stuff to fit in a car, can't she just leave it and replace it in St Louis? Joy of joys, she'll be around all the time now.
Mike - I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. Our grandaughter is not going on the trip to retrieve the bulk of their belongings.

The step-daughter is leaving her husband because he is supposedly physically and emotionally abusive. I don't know if that's true, no one in the family has seen it,, but we're not there.

I do not remember the name of the large GMC SUV she owns, but it's the largest, fanciest, 4x4 SUV they currently make. Probably a $60K - $70K vehicle at least. It's only a year old, and was paid for with a payout from the Army for her 1st husband's suicide. Instead of saving the money for her kids education or needs, she blew the entire wad on a vehicle. They will be using that SUV to tow a larger dual axle Uhaul back to Missouri with her furniture and other belongings. As for two women traveling alone, the step-daughter was in the military, packs a 9mm everywhere she goes, and can shoot (I've actually shot targets with her), and wouldn't hesitate to use it if she was really threatened.
Old December 13th, 2021, 04:46 PM

Good evening guys,

Well, I got the gals to the airport in plenty of time to catch their flight to Las Vegas. We left out of here this afternoon at 13:45, drove to my brother-in-laws house to pick up my step-daughter, then on to the airport, and then back home. I didn't get home until 1700. Had to drive home from the airport during rush hour traffic, the first time I've had to do that in many years, and all I'll say is it was terrifying!

Boy, it sure is quiet around here, too damn quiet! My wife is the talker in the family, and according to her, I don't talk enough. All I know is that I miss the sound of her voice already.

I hope everyone has a relaxing evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 13th, 2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old December 13th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Mike, I never ask, I would guess they feel like they made a mistake with mom and what to do things differently
Old December 13th, 2021, 05:33 PM

Norm, this swiss cheese is not very appetizing! Here's a pic.

Cut the cheese out along with patch while clamped together, that way they fit together. This is as far as I got today, hopefully I'll weld together tomorrow.
Old December 13th, 2021, 06:13 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Cut the cheese out along with patch while clamped together, that way they fit together.
Greg - That's an excellent cut-out.
Old December 14th, 2021, 03:13 AM

Greg, I would give anything to have your skills, I can't weld worth a $hit

Norm, I think it's like playing golf.You have ta do it alot to be worth a hoot

I need to take a pic of my beam It's a welding work of art. I mean perfect with the seams ground down flush and smooth as a baby's butt

A friend of mine's son is in some kind of welding school in Kentucky to get certified to weld un nuclear power plants. Over a scotch he was trying to explain to me how you have to weld pipe from the outside that will have no [waste for lack of the correct word] on the inside

I had no idea really what he was trying to say. WAY above my pay grade

Mike,
Amphicar eat your heart out

Old December 14th, 2021, 05:31 AM

James/Greg/Norm - My youngest daughter's husband (Justin) is an ironworker and in the Ironworker's Union. During his apprenticeship he basically had to learn everytype of cutting and welding there is. I've never learned anything about welding, but if I needed something cut or welded, he's got access to all the equipment and has me covered.

I don't ever want to need the services of my other son-in-law who's a fire fighter/paramedic!
Old December 14th, 2021, 06:10 AM

Yeah welding sheet metal is a bitch. I tried to look at a bunch of tutorials, etc on how to do it and there really is only one way- just jump in and make mistakes- screw things up and later fix them. But I am no expert, that's why I always do the stuff that doesn't show first. I treat it all like it will be out in the open to make things as good as I can just for practice for when I do the visible stuff. About welding, I remember some guys on the small rescue ship I was on in the Navy could do underwater welding, and later when I worked for the gas utility I was in Awe of the welders who welded underground gas lines. A young man I know of graduated from a welding school and goes around doing gas line welding- makes big bucks- good to see someone going into a blue collar job. I think the pendulum has swung back towards blue collar jobs again after being a long time only good fields were white collar... Have a good one guys.
Old December 14th, 2021, 06:29 AM
Running On Empty

I did it again. This time I know where I left my iPhone - on the porch at the clubhouse pro-shop. I called using a friend's phone and sure enough. I'll head over to grab it - might take a couple of clubs with me - it's nearly 65°F already - a banner day.

James - I like that m38a1 video.

I love welding. It's a good thing I don't own every type of welding equipment - I'd have an entire landscape built of metal.
Old December 14th, 2021, 06:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

There's a lull in the action. Got here at 4, I'm already tired. Hope this doesn't go on all day.

Chris that extra bit of information makes all the difference. As long as the step daughter can protect the convoy they'll be okay. That will be a long trip. Lots of bonding time. She probably has a Yukon XL Denali. How did Monty do without his mom last night?

I don't know, Jamesbo, in the Amphicar (most times) you get out of the water and your shorts are still dry. At least the motor won't overheat. I saw a guy do that once with a deuce and a half. All you could see was the stack and the guy's head. Water was up to his neck.

Metalwork I think is an art. I tried to learn how to weld, I just don't have that talent in me. A friend of mine is gonna give me a welder. Maybe I can learn eventually, after buggering up a lot of scrap. Or creating it.

I think I'll go walk around a little. I'm falling asleep here just sitting at the desk. Have a good day everyone.

Old December 14th, 2021, 07:08 AM

Good morning guys,

James - Great video of the M38a1, it's amazing they can do that. Would be alot of fun to have one!

Mike - You jogged my memory and I think you're correct that my step-daughter's SUV is a Yukon. Not sure if it has the Denali package or not, I've only seen it one time. When I first saw it I thought, how in the hell did this girl who doesn't have a pot to **** in buy this, and then I got the rest of the story, which made me kinda sick. Monty was not crying, whimpering, or having any major physical signs of distress last night, but I could tell he didn't understand why Mom wasn't there.. Both he and Maggie kept getting up and walking around the house looking for her, especially if there was some kind of noise that might be a door opening. I felt bad for them, but they'll survive, they're getting plenty of extra treats and loving from me while Mom's gone.

The girls made it to Las Vegas fine, but couldn't find my step-daughter's car in long term parking. That was because they were completely in the wrong garage. AiYiYi, talk about crap for brains, took them an hour and a half just to find the car!

It's really warm this morning, headed towards a high around 68° F. That's nuts for the middle of December in this neck of the woods. I sure hope it doesn't spawn another severe weather episode! It will be nice weather for taking the pups outside to play and take their minds off of Mom being gone.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old December 14th, 2021, 10:25 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...couldn't find my step-daughter's car in long term parking. That was because they were completely in the wrong garage. AiYiYi, talk about crap for brains, took them an hour and a half just to find the car!
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they couldn't find their car in the parking garage, Kramer walking around w/ the T.V. in his hands, eventually they pee in the parking garage and are arrested. Funny stuff.

Old December 14th, 2021, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they couldn't find their car in the parking garage, Kramer walking around w/ the T.V. in his hands, eventually they pee in the parking garage and are arrested. Funny stuff.

https://youtu.be/SUsUu3XRJ4I
Funny stuff for sure!!!
Old December 14th, 2021, 10:40 AM

Ironheads are a separate breed. Little crazy. Not as bad as painters.

On marriage, I have found that my philosophy being one step out of time with reality is a good thing. Used to be, a man was a good provider and dependable, and that would get him a wife. I still play the game that way, but it is outdated. Now, young women want someone exciting, and a little dangerous, and almost a (and sometimes actually a) dirtbag. They have their kids with this macho man, get abused, then leave, and want to wife up some provider type who then has to raise the kids. This is basic psychology spoke about in some works like The Rational Male, that the man that the woman wants on an instinctive level to give the best genes to her kids is not the same man as who would be the best to raise those kids. We used to have a workaround, which was society's shaming of loose women so that they would know to get married for the long run because divorce was a sin and shameful. But now, girls can have their kids with the winner wild man and then raise them with the loser provider man. I need to change my vibe to being more the dirtbag, as I tend to have to beat single moms off with a stick.
Old December 14th, 2021, 11:53 AM

I sure hope it doesn't spawn another severe weather episode!
There's a VERY strong storm front hitting us tonight/tomorrow, so it will likely hit y'all shortly after that.
Old December 14th, 2021, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
There's a VERY strong storm front hitting us tonight/tomorrow, so it will likely hit y'all shortly after that.
Kenneth - My wife and step-daughter are leaving out of near Barstow, CA sometime this afternoon, and taking the southern route home across AZ, NM, TX panhandle, OK, and back into MO. I sure hope they get out of there sooner rather than later and are well ahead of the front!
Old December 14th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Running On Empty

Here's one I would never have suspected. I was searching some recently sold properties located nearby my home. While searching property locations on Google Maps, I happened to be navigating through an intersection ~1500' from my home & what appears is none other than me driving my '71 CS. The Google Maps indicates it was taken in 2019 and is still the Street View for this location. What are the chances? Crazy.

Old December 14th, 2021, 01:00 PM

Here's one I would never have suspected. I was searching some recently sold properties located nearby my home. While searching property locations on Google Maps, I happened to be navigating through an intersection ~1500' from my home & what appears is none other than me driving my '71 CS. The Google Maps indicates it was taken in 2019 and is still the Street View for this location. What are the chances? Crazy.
Norm - That is too cool, what are the frickin chances!!!
Old December 14th, 2021, 01:02 PM
Running On Empty

...what are the frickin chances!!!
No $HIT!!!
Old December 14th, 2021, 01:03 PM

They are spying on you Norm.
Old December 14th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
They are spying on you Norm.
Wouldn't surprise me.
Old December 14th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I see the Google car once in a while, I never think to go look up the road I was on to see if I'm there. The one picture reminds me of a joke the gym coach told us one time. Why do women scratch their heads at a stoplight? Because they don't have a left ********. We all just stared at him. None of us had our license yet, we had no clue. The coach was perplexed.

Work turned out to be okay. We finished around 130 and left around 2. Tomorrow we're having a meal so that will be nice. Also starting early so it's off to bed with me in a minute.

Was a nice day today. Went and swapped cars so now I have the Saturn to drive to work and the dogmobile is ready to be worked on this weekend.

Here's some Seinfeld trivia regarding that episode. The parking garage was built on the sound stage and cars brought into the building. Also, when they'd come back from commercial and show "the front of the shopping mall," it was actually the front of Orange County Airport, in Santa Ana. Also, Kramer wanted to be as realistic as can be, so he had the producers put a real air conditioner in the box so he was really carrying around a real air conditioner. And finally, when they finally found the car, the script was for them to get in and drive off. The car not starting was not supposed to happen but it was a way better ending.

Okay as soon as Tiger comes in it's nighty night. Hope everyone has a good evening and is ready for Hump Day!

Old December 14th, 2021, 03:26 PM

Good evening guys,

Very rarely do I get to cook, with the exception of grilling, because I have a wife that's a great cook and wants to do it. The only issue with that can be if I don't like her recipe as much as mine, in which case I keep my mouth shut until it's time to eat, thanking God I didn't have to cook it. With her on the road for a few days, I finally got to prepare beef stew, and serve it the way I like it, over egg noodles. Yum! Note the large pile of bread and butter in the background to go with it.

Old December 14th, 2021, 09:20 PM

Very nice. Good food for cold season.

So my conveyor is coming in on trucks, and I called a parking lot for a laydown area months ago, and some cars, which turned out, were sitting there for a year or so, grimy, couple flat tires, probably dead battery. Trial cars from previous model changes. My emails went from nice, to insistent, to firm, to one last chance and this engineer was arming himself with a tow truck and moving them. I think my boss believed me when I flashed a towing company's card, and the rest believed me when we moved 'em this AM. I got a good deal, 4 cars put a couple hundred yards away for a hundred or so, and I have plenty left in my budget. I stuck them under a utility trestle, it's no parking, but we'll let facilities find their owners, and I'm not putting them back when done, either.
Old December 15th, 2021, 01:42 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
...The daughters want mom and dad together...
Can you stuff them both in the same box?
Old December 15th, 2021, 02:31 AM

Can you stuff them both in the same box?

Don't you need to go find your phone?
Old December 15th, 2021, 02:34 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jamesbo
don't you need to go find your phone?