The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2022, 05:28 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Fun71
Mike, this was my smoker / grill yesterday. A family pack of chicken breasts that I butterflied into 12 pieces, a bag of asparagus spears, two bacon wrapped fillets of sirloin, and a pork tenderloin with smoky chipotle rub.

I cooked for two people, but it will last all week, and we'll likely freeze some for later.

Mmmm, that looked very tasty. We have had really nice springweather a couple if weeks now. Freezing temp at night and sunny clearblue sky in the day.
Many us cars out driving and also motorcycles.
Took the dirtbike out for a ride where the old railway was in the past. Have had some maintance this winter in this bike.

Old April 19th, 2022, 07:33 AM

Jim - Jeep looks great, can't wait to see it completely outfitted with the trailer attached!

Greg - I'm so glad you're wife's doing well, you have our prayers going forward for continued progress. Sorry about your plow truck, at least you have the skill set, tools, and place to do the labor yourself. It is amazing that all those parts of the brake system broke and it didn't make any more noise than it did! Snow sucks!!!

Glenn - Glad you're enjoying a pretty nice Spring over there. Nice to see you got out on your dirt bike, it looks like a very pretty area you were riding through. It would be fun to own a smaller all purpose street/trail bike like yours.

Cold here at 36° at 0900, don't know if it got down to freezing or not, but at least we didn't get any snow like Greg. Really need to mow today sometime, rain in the forecast all day tomorrow. Wife has plans for me to go pick up some furniture for her sometime early in the afternoon. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old April 19th, 2022, 08:53 AM
Running On Empty

Saw massage therapist at 9:00am. Received a 2nd COVID-19 booster today. Received a notice froM CDC I was eligible so I got it.

Gregg - Happy to hear your wife is doing well.
Old April 19th, 2022, 09:39 AM

Packing early to head norte

Old April 19th, 2022, 10:00 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Excellent.
Old April 19th, 2022, 10:17 AM

Jim - Awesome! That's so cool!!!
Old April 19th, 2022, 10:18 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - Glad you're enjoying a pretty nice Spring over there. Nice to see you got out on your dirt bike, it looks like a very pretty area you were riding through. It would be fun to own a smaller all purpose street/trail bike like yours.
Yes glad to hear Gregs wife doing fine and i,m hoping for the best for your wife also Chris. I like this bike a lot but not the seat
Maybe an Trans-alp is more comfy and they have also 2 cyl engine , but the Dommie works. I often drive this road when i,m
visiting our parents grave and i lived in this area early in my childhood. Was in the garage earlier today and checked my wifes
Harley , forgott my earprotection and off course the f$$king alarm went off and this didn,t helped my tinnitus but hope it,s
better tomorrow. Maybe i trade my FXDF -08 to an older Evo or shovelhead , i like the older bikes more , no ecu and i think
Evo is the last engine with the real harleysound.

Ps Jim your Jeep looks awesome.

Last edited by GCH; April 19th, 2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old April 19th, 2022, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Yes glad to hear Gregs wife doing fine and i,m hoping for the best for your wife also Chris. I like this bike a lot but not the seat
Glenn - I'm sure those dual purpose bike seats are not comfortable for long rides for us old guys! It has been a very slow start to the riding season for me, it's been either too cold or raining. Been out on a few rides of less than 2-hours, but no longer rides with buddies or myself yet. The friend that I ride with the most bought a used Harley Springer CVO over the winter, I can't remember what the actual model and year it is, but it sure is pretty. Blue and silver in color with flames on the tank and body (factory CVO paint job). I'll have to get a couple pics and the model/year numbers from him and post. He intends to show it locally, but he will also ride it too. He has a '66, 427ci, tri-power Vette coupe, that is worth upwards of $115K that he is not afraid to get out and drive. I would be too paranoid to get a car like that out and drive it. Here is a pic of when we took our wives on about a 150-mile round-trip last fall.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 19th, 2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old April 19th, 2022, 11:49 AM

A MUCH more impressive picture after backing the trailer up
Old April 19th, 2022, 12:12 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Beautiful out. A bit chilly, but bright sunshine really pretty. Work cracked me up. The lead gets up and reiterates how many extra wheels we have and that we have to put our best foot forward. Immediately most of the people hike off to some shoe fair. Later on there are no wheels to be had. I said, if we are so behind, where are the wheels? The lead ignored me. We were supposed to sign off 175 wheels today, we wouldn't have come close so at the end of the day the lead said he'd be good with 132. Whatever.

Jamesbo the Jeep looks great. If you are ever hungry you can eat the wiper blades like licorice and the lugnuts in motor oil soup.

So I get out of the car and hear this thump thump. It's my neighbor with a sledgehammer pounding the hell out of a tractor tire laying on the ground. I asked him if that was his workout. Yup. Now, this guy has big huge arms, but about a 12 pack a day gut. Not criticizing, I've got the gut but not big arms.

Greg glad your wife is doing so well. Doing for herself more and more will help her recovery. Better state of mind.

Okay back over to Mom's. This has to end soon, as I have tons of stuff of my own to do.

Peace

Old April 19th, 2022, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Kenneth, Looks WONDERFUL. Do you also freeze the asparagus?
No, I typically eat all of that within a couple of days.
Old April 20th, 2022, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo the Jeep looks great. If you are ever hungry you can eat the wiper blades like licorice and the lugnuts in motor oil soup.
Tanks Mike, But I've got some MRE's in the haversack in case I get hungry

See ya Saturday, Unfortunately the Center on mine and John's basketball team can't make it. She has to do the "W" word [work]

I read the other day, "After I paid over $124,000 in tuition, the School always wants more money, The students have become prostitutes' and the colleges, their pimps?
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:24 AM

About making more money, anytime a fund raiser calls me, I save their number so I know not to answer in the future. They get new numbers, but it helps a little.
Old April 20th, 2022, 05:22 PM
Running On Empty

I recognize at some point in time they began calling field rations MREs. When I did basic training they were called field rations. MRE was not known (at least to me or anyone I knew). I do know this, on the days we had to eat field rations (which were days we were not going to the mess hall (mostly running 2.5 miles, obstacle course, shooting range, etc.) every single time I opened my field ration box it was tuna - other guys were getting other stuff many times - I don't think I ever got anything besides tuna. I like tuna, but not tuna on a 100°F day, out of breath & sweating like a pig. Tuna is absolutely awful when you're upchucking it - that taste lasts the rest of the day (maybe longer). Yuck.
Old April 20th, 2022, 06:15 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Done for the week. The lead wasn't there so the usual tricks and pranks were afoot. I keep saying I don't care but it still annoys the hell out of me.

Jamesbo did you drive the Jeep to the lake? That would be a fun trip. Too bad Supermodel can't join us. Give her my best.

Got to Mom's this afternoon and we ran a couple errands and then went to Awful house. Tomorrow I'm going to hit it hot and heavy, get lots of stuff moved, and after 4 wash her car. Friday I plan on taking it -somewhere- and selling it. Hope that doesn't cause me a lot of grief.

I'm tired tonight. Went in early this morning and couldn't keep my eyes open all day. It was another day of, we're behind but with no wheels. Yahoo.

Peace

Old April 20th, 2022, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I recognize at some point in time they began calling field rations MREs. When I did basic training they were called field rations. MRE was not known (at least to me or anyone I knew).
According to the internet, which we all know is NEVER wrong, they were introduced in 1983.
https://us.mealkitsupply.com/pages/m...20of%20Defense.
MREs, Meals Ready-to-Eat, have improved drastically since their first field use in 1983: the beginning of the MRE history.

So Norm, you gotta be an old fart. My college ROTC buddies used to give us their uneaten MREs after field training events. The cookies were really good, but the powdered ketchup that you had to add water to reconstitute was weird.

Last edited by Fun71; April 20th, 2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:11 PM
Running On Empty

So Norm, you gotta be an old fart.
I'm 69 - 1983 was long after my basic training.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:14 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I did read the link you sent:

1975-the first MRE was developed.
My basic training was still before 1975.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:18 PM

Well that definitely puts you deep into OF territory.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:19 PM
Running On Empty

Well that definitely puts you deep into OF territory.
Oh yeah...I"m out there.
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:21 PM

I'm headed there myself, you just got a jump start on me.
Old April 20th, 2022, 11:14 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - I'm sure those dual purpose bike seats are not comfortable for long rides for us old guys! It has been a very slow start to the riding season for me, it's been either too cold or raining. Been out on a few rides of less than 2-hours, but no longer rides with buddies or myself yet. The friend that I ride with the most bought a used Harley Springer CVO over the winter, I can't remember what the actual model and year it is, but it sure is pretty. Blue and silver in color with flames on the tank and body (factory CVO paint job). I'll have to get a couple pics and the model/year numbers from him and post. He intends to show it locally, but he will also ride it too. He has a '66, 427ci, tri-power Vette coupe, that is worth upwards of $115K that he is not afraid to get out and drive. I would be too paranoid to get a car like that out and drive it. Here is a pic of when we took our wives on about a 150-mile round-trip last fall.

Very nice pic , like your 442 a lot and a great colour combo. A friend back in the 80 ties had a Corvette 69 or 70 model with
427 and 4 speed.This was a beast , had a lot of power Before a purshased the 98 i looked for a Cutlass but never found
one convertible with power windows.
Some pics of your friends Cvo would be nice , the Honda seat sucks but the seat on my Fatbob works very well and have a
great support for my old a$$ . And the badger s$it are still in progress , traps outside again. Have an ad with a reward if
somebody could take care of this.
The gas price is high but there are a lot of us cars crusing and every eastern there are a "meeting" here for young people
and their "beercars" , i think you can sell very many Chevy early 60ties here and 63/64 seem to be most popular year and
no other brand.
Old April 21st, 2022, 01:16 AM

Norm /Kenneth, Y'all don't know what Long in the tooth is all about. I'm so old, I can remember when "party" was a noun

Funny, I used to really like Vettes but after a few Years of watching C 2 "purist" nit pic each other, It kinda turns me off.

Since, I was drug up in the 60's I can tell you flat out NO self respecting kid wanted any "Factor option on their cars. That's one reason they are so rare. NO one wanted a tic toc tach. Or SS II they wanted a Sun Tach strapped to the steering column and a set of American mags

Same way with the Jeep forum. If you have nothing better to do than be concerned that your fire extinguisher serial number date matches you Jeep. You need Therapy Bad

Mike, and I have discussed this in the past. Military motor pools don't give a rats a$$ about matching numbers. The name of the game is get the)^*_&(_(*)_(*_()&^%(&Z*& thing running and keep it running

[think Patton on the bridge with the poor donkey]

To me, the greatest thing about my jeep is it's worry free, Pollen no problem , Leaves inside, no problem. Need and new pullman's loop some where? no problem drill a couple holes. On the other hand my Trophy blue 69 442 drop top Looks like $hit on a white rabbit if it's not clean waxed and the carpets vacuumed
Old April 21st, 2022, 05:29 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - ETA on the canvas top?
Old April 21st, 2022, 05:38 AM

Funny you should ax. I called yesterday and they said it should be shipped by the end of next week
Old April 21st, 2022, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Since, I was drug up in the 60's I can tell you flat out NO self respecting kid wanted any "Factor option on their cars. That's one reason they are so rare. NO one wanted a tic toc tach. Or SS II they wanted a Sun Tach strapped to the steering column and a set of American mags

Glad I didn't disappoint ya Jim, it's a Sun Tach! I hate to tell ya, but the 70's weren't a whole helluva lot "clearer" than the 60's!
Old April 21st, 2022, 06:01 AM

Chris, If you remember the 70's you weren't there

BTW nice "Period correct:" Sun Tach
Old April 21st, 2022, 06:06 AM

Thanks on the Tach. I do remember the 70's, vaguely???
Old April 21st, 2022, 06:23 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Beautiful morning, and do you know why? Because I'm not at work(and I'm still getting paid) and I slept in and I went to Awful house to see everyone. Oh and the sun is out and the Good Lord allowed me to wake up and breathe. That's what's most important. And Tiger.

I actually remember quite a bit of the 70s. I was 12 when they departed. I still have a lot of my stuff from the 70s. I have cars from the 70s. I love disco music.

Jamesbo it is true that there's no guarantee that any part of a military vehicle is original. And really they're not supposed to be. The whole purpose is interchangeability so they can Keep 'Em Rolling. I don't know what happened to Patton's donkey.

So there's all sorts of fiberglass race car body parts in the yard the previous guy left. He said they belong to him and another guy jointly. Back in the summer when we closed, he said he'd come get them. I've messaged him several times and got nothing back. Guess where they're going.

Peace

Old April 21st, 2022, 06:40 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
So there's all sorts of fiberglass race car body parts in the yard the previous guy left. He said they belong to him and another guy jointly. Back in the summer when we closed, he said he'd come get them. I've messaged him several times and got nothing back. Guess where they're going.
The saga continues...
Old April 21st, 2022, 07:39 AM

Mike, Patton shot the poor donkey and tossed him over the bridge to keep his convoy moving
Old April 21st, 2022, 11:52 AM
Always room for one more

Norm no saga. I'm done with the guy and not fussed about it anymore. The saga has ended. In fact after break I'm going out to toss the first load into the pickup and take it over to the dumpster. That reminds me, where did the Lone Ranger take his garbage? To the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump!

Geez Jamesbo that was harsh. I guess Patton was a no-nonsense type of guy. I hope the corpsman who drove his Jeep never said he couldn't drive a stick shifter.

Well I've worked my tail off today. Big load of stuff over to my house today. Laundry. Unpacked boxes and rearranged more boxes. But I'm not done. See note above about throwing $hit into the dumpster. Break is over.

Old April 21st, 2022, 12:56 PM

Speaking of Sun Tachs, I looked online a couple weeks ago and saw that those things are selling for outrageous amounts. Even the steering column mount alone is selling for more than I paid for the whole tach package back in 1980.

So after 40 years, I finally got around to putting my Sun Super Tach II into a clock block off plate and mounting it in the dash so it looks kinda at home. Prior to that the tach was just stuffed into the clock opening from the front, and it stuck out quite a bit.

Last edited by Fun71; April 21st, 2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old April 21st, 2022, 01:10 PM

Mike, Patton was one of the few that rode in a command car not a jeep. The reason was riding in a command car was like having a BIG sign on you vehicle saying " I'm a big shot come kill me"

Old April 21st, 2022, 01:15 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Fantastic job.
Old April 21st, 2022, 01:28 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Perhaps a winch in your future?
Old April 21st, 2022, 01:36 PM

Speaking of Sun Tachs, I looked online a couple weeks ago and saw that those things are selling for outrageous amounts. Even the steering column mount alone is selling for more than I paid for the whole tach package back in 1980.

So after 40 years, I finally got around to putting my Sun Super Tach II into a clock block off plate and mounting it in the dash so it looks kinda at home. Prior to that the tach was just stuffed into the clock opening from the front, and it stuck out quite a bit.

Looks really nice Kenneth, great job!
Old April 21st, 2022, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

My turn....the clock I purchased several months ago.

Old April 21st, 2022, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - Perhaps a winch in your future?
No thanks, I have 2 ex's that fill the bill[ I think For all I know they could have been in the twin towers]\

I know Chris like's cabooses [booty] but y'all have some VERY nice Clock/instruments. I love Sun Tachs [ my era] I've got 30 bucks that says they twice as good as any expensive tic toc
Old April 21st, 2022, 02:18 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I said "winch" not "wench". But, I knew you'd respond w/ a statement regarding your ex-wenches.