The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2023, 06:36 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
Corned Beef, with cabbage, potato and carrots.
Absolutely delicious.
Old March 19th, 2023, 08:48 PM

Big Ole gnarly 50+ pile-up on I-96 (Ionia, MI) yesterday - maybe 100 vehicles. No one injured.
A mess that kept the highway closed until 10pm Sat. night. Chris, I thought that you were a Michigan man? Pathetic performance by Michigan in the NIT.
Old March 19th, 2023, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I thought that you were a Michigan man? Pathetic performance by Michigan in the NIT.
Dan - I root for them both. Generally rooting the most for UofM for football, and MSU for basketball. Since I did not attend either, I have no significant allegiance to either one, I'm really just rooting for my home State team, whichever one is playing. I didn't even pay attention to UofM's performance during the NIT. Overall I thought they were an underperforming bunch during the regular season, and I am not impressed at all with Juwan Howard as the Coach.
Old March 19th, 2023, 10:07 PM

Man o man that corn beef looks wonderful. I'm voting your pic most mouth watering
Old March 20th, 2023, 04:08 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Man o man that corn beef looks wonderful. I'm voting your pic most mouth watering
The image is an on-line image posted on several websites; but, it is a delicious looking image.
https://lens.google.com/search?p=AfV...NhMjJhNmYiXV1d
Old March 20th, 2023, 04:24 AM
Running On Empty

Tad nipply this morning for pasture pool 42°F (real feel 33°F). Should be a balmy 46°F (real feel 40°F) @ tee time shotgun start (10:00am) warming to a blazing high of 49°F by 12:00 noon w/ the possibility of a rain shower ~1:00pm.
Old March 20th, 2023, 06:06 AM

30 down here Norm Do you know how long Fescue seeds can sit [and not rot] after being planted, rained on in this kind of cold weather/
Old March 20th, 2023, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442

Home Run Inn Meat Lovers, done just right!
Yep, you have converted us, Chris! Yesterday we went to the neighbors to watch the game and we ordered 2 large pizzas from a local place- they were $19.99 for one and 26.99 for the other.- Yep 46 bucks for 2 pizzas! And they weren't very good!! Makes the Chicago Home Run Pizzas a great deal!
Old March 20th, 2023, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Yep, you have converted us, Chris! . . . Makes the Chicago Home Run Pizzas a great deal!
Greg - I'm glad you guys like them! I'm a pizzaholic and usually eat it at least once a week. It would be hard for me to get tired of it. Like you said, at $8 for a decent large pizza with alot on it, the Home Run Inn pizzas are a great value!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 20th, 2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old March 20th, 2023, 12:38 PM

I root for them both
OK Chris, you're forgiven. I'll hope that they go further as well. If I weren't so naive when I was in high school, I probably would have gone to MSU, having receiving letters of interest from them and CMU. I just hadn't figured out what to do in life. Cars and beer won out. Regrets.
Old March 20th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Yep, that is how it goes, Dan. They say youth is wasted on the young. I wish I had done better also. But it all works out.
Old March 20th, 2023, 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

Do you know how long Fescue seeds can sit [and not rot] after being planted, rained on in this kind of cold weather/
Jim - Short answer, no - mostly because of so many variables.

There are basically two types of flowering plants - C3 & C4. C3 &/or C4 relates to the type of photosynthesis cycle of each plant type w/ C3 plants more coolant (less CO2) tolerant while C4 plants are more heat tolerant (high CO2). The caveat, of course, is this relates to photosynthesis. Mature C4 warm-weather plants perform better in hot/humid environments and the converse w/ C3 plants. Since there is no photosynthesis occurring in a seed and nearly same is true of a grass seedling, germination is neither advantageous nor disadvantageous to either plant regarding seed germination - both C3 & C4 plants germinate primarily based upon water & temperature.

Most grass seeds are viable for ~14 days w/o germination; after which, germination goes downhill quickly. To counter rotting of seeds most manufacturers coat their seeds with anti-fungal, anti-bactericide compounds to reduce rot & extend germination. Since most seeds germinate optimally w/in the 55°F - 70°F range, I'd say it's hit-or-miss how long they'll survive in a viable condition. My fingers remain crossed for my own grass seeds I put down one week ago. I had no idea it was going to turn cold. The cold is certainly elongating the germination period - the balance is going to be whether or not the seeds can withstand rotting during a prolonged period of time.

EDIT: Fescue is a C3 plant - but, as suggested, it doesn't really make any difference during germination.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 20th, 2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old March 20th, 2023, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
OK Chris, you're forgiven. I'll hope that they go further as well. If I weren't so naive when I was in high school, I probably would have gone to MSU, having receiving letters of interest from them and CMU. I just hadn't figured out what to do in life. Cars and beer won out. Regrets.
Dan - I had no interest in going to a ginormous University for 2 reasons, neither of which were very intelligent. First, I went to a very small rural Highschool and I was intimidated by the thought of going to colleges as large as U of M and MSU. Second, and most important to me, I wanted to continue to play football in college, which shouldn't be the primary driver for picking a college, but it was for me. I had some interest in me from a couple of Div II schools, Grand Valley State being one of them, but in the end it came down to Hope or Albion, both of which had very good Div III programs at the time. I knew if I worked hard I would eventually get some playing time at a Div III school, but it would be really tough at the Div II level. I chose Albion over Hope primarily because it was closer to home.
Old March 20th, 2023, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

Normally I don't complain about playing golf & honestly I'm not complaining; but, the weather today was only slightly less than miserable. It was cold (40°F) w/ 20mph winds. First time I've played golf wearing winter golf gloves on both hands the entire game - but putting and striking *****. I'd say it still beats a good day of working, however.
Old March 20th, 2023, 02:33 PM

Chris,You sound like me. I drove to Athens [UGA] once to go to graduate school couldn't find a parking space and said Phuque this and drove home Oxford might have had 500 and big Emory maybe 4000. They have dorms at UGA that house that many students. Not my cup of tea
Old March 20th, 2023, 02:47 PM

Chris,You sound like me. I drove to Athens [UGA] once to go to graduate school couldn't find a parking space and said Phuque this and drove home Oxford might have had 500 and big Emory maybe 4000. They have dorms at UGA that house that many students. Not my cup of tea
Jim - Yes, sounds like we had the same mindset. I remember the 1st time I came to St. Louis in '83 to hunt for an apartment. I got caught on the worst highway during rush hour, it was almost enough right there to make me say Phuque this, and turn down the job and go home! That would have went down as the most bone head decision I could have made, and I'm certainly glad I didn't! I'm just glad I wasn't hired in at the Headquarters location in Washington D.C., that probably would have been enough to make me pack it in. I had to travel to Headquarters in D.C. many times through the years and I hated every trip! Plus, the cost of living is so much worse than St. Louis. I had colleagues in D.C. commuting almost 2-hours one way just to be able to afford a decent home! No thanks Brother!!!
Old March 20th, 2023, 03:07 PM

Norm, Tanks, I'm watching and trying to figger out when/if to re seed. This has been some weird weather
Old March 20th, 2023, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, Tanks, I'm watching and trying to figger out when/if to re seed. This has been some weird weather
Jim - Yes, I think mine is going to be hit or miss. If it begins to warm up and REMAIN warm, I might succeed - fingers crossed. If not, I have everything prepped so I'll most likely only need to reapply (cast) seed.
Old March 20th, 2023, 03:12 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Not a bad turnout for the last day of winter. Sunny, not too cold. Very nice.

It was nice not getting up at 4 and it was nice going to Awful house and the airport group but I should have gone to work. I was just getting ready to try to fetch the Suburban and Mom calls. As long as you have a day off lets go to Home Depot. Now, she knew I wanted to try to get something of my own done, which is why I took off work. The next thing I'll hear is, are you ever going to do anything with that Suburban. So we go to Home Depot to get a small upright freezer. Get it home and undo it all and it has a big dent in the top. Honestly, I wish I wouldn't have said anything, she would have never seen it. Oh, well we'll have to take that back. Now, I had to have help getting it in the back of the pickup, so how the hell am I going to get it in there now by myself? So, my day off was wasted and now tomorrow after work is wasted trying to take this freezer back. Ah, I remember fondly all those years I was up here by myself.

The pizza looks good. I've looked several times and we don't have that around me.

Well back to reality. Short week. Thursday I have a class I have to go to. It's for that inspection machine that I don't run anymore. I don't know why I have to go, I'm not ever going to run it again. The lead says the foreman said I have to go. I don't think the foreman even knows my name, much less knows what I do or don't do. I think it's the lead just saying that, but for what reason I don't know. The class is all theory on eddy current and I could give two ***** about all that. They trained us like monkeys to run that machine. Push this button to do this, push that button to do that. Anything else that's what the inspectors are for. Colossal waste of my time.

Hope everyone is doing well and had a good start to the week.

Old March 20th, 2023, 03:20 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - What would you say "...you do there..."?

Old March 20th, 2023, 03:30 PM

Mike, I would call them an see if they would discount it because of the dent. I had a rather bizarre occurrence today. I believe I mentioned that the seed spreader was missing a part after I assembled it. A Clevis strap 4 piece of steel with 2 holes so I call the number on the assembly manual and its not working. Call Casa Depot and get 2 more numbers one of which works. John Deere cant send me a part. I have to call the dealer. order the part, pay for it then when it comes in take the receipt and the sales slip to Casa Depot and hope for a refund. The 4 piece of steel is 25 bucks. I should have just bolted up a box in wrench and called it a day
Old March 20th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Sorry for the situation on the tine/spreader. Yeah, regarding JD and the box stores who sell the JD equipment. There should be a "tag" on your unit with the Dealer Name. Everything is "supposed" to be handled by them.
Old March 20th, 2023, 04:00 PM

Mike - That sucks with the freezer!
Jim - Likewise with the aerator/spreader!
Who's the 3rd shoe going to drop on? Glad I don't have any big purchases planned in the near future!

Grilled Chicken Alfredo w/Garlic Bread
Old March 20th, 2023, 04:03 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - The chicken alfredo garlic bread looks really good. I ate at Mongolian BBQ after golf - Shrimp Egg Foo Young and hot tea. Mostly because I was freezing my nards.
Old March 20th, 2023, 04:05 PM
Running On Empty

This weather is "EVIL"
Old March 20th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - The chicken alfredo garlic bread looks really good. I ate at Mongolian BBQ after golf - Shrimp Egg Foo Young and hot tea. Mostly because I was freezing my nards.
Thanks Norm, I'll let my wife know! The Shrimp Egg Foo Young sounds yummy!

It was significantly warmer here today with sunshine and a high of about 58°. Trending towards the upper 60's by Thursday. First car event for this season is a cruise-in from 3 -7pm at a Raising Cane's restaurant this coming Saturday. Right now they're forecasting sunshine and 60°. If that happens I'll be there and hopefully have some pics for you guys!
Old March 20th, 2023, 05:26 PM

Jim - Sorry for the situation on the tine/spreader. Yeah, regarding JD and the box stores who sell the JD equipment. There should be a "tag" on your unit with the Dealer Name. Everything is "supposed" to be handled by them.
My understanding is that JD has 2 levels of equipment. 1] lower quality that the big box stores sell and 2[ High quality that the dealers sell. I try to buy everything from the dealer. The mowers that sit out front of Lowes are 10k less than what I paid for mine from the dealer [hopefully much better quality] That's what struck me so odd, They were depending on the dealer to fix the lower quality mistake in packaging sold by the big box store. I had to go by the dealer 1st on Friday to buy the hitch to attach to the mower and they don't even carry a seder/aerification combo but Casa Depot and Lowes both have it [ much lower quality but should work for me]
Old March 20th, 2023, 05:50 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - That's interesting feedback. I've never suspected a lower quality JD product being sold at a big box store. I purchased my JD ZTR (Z225) at Lowe's (2010). It was assembled by our local JD dealer (New Bern, NC) 17 miles North of the Lowe's store. I've never had an issue with it. I find it difficult to swallow there would exist a difference in quality. I've read some articles regarding MTD, JD, manufacturing sites of the mowers, etc. I don't know - difficult to figure out the real truth, I guess. Knock-On-Wood I've never had an issue. I "suspect" some of what you hear (which is likely true) may be based regionally across the U.S.A. if not globally. Contracts are contracts and the end-consumer may not know the actual truth. The plate on my Z225 says Horicon, Wisconsin with my dealer name tag in New Bern, NC. Interesting, not sure what to say.
Old March 20th, 2023, 05:58 PM

I know some of you may be bored with seeing some of my wife's refinished furniture so I've been trying limit the posts on this subject to items I think are exceptional. Yesterday she finished this Antique Secretary. Personally, I think it's stunning, and if I had a place for it I'd keep it for myself. Someone's gonna get a really unique piece! Note the real leather and brass drawer pulls she sourced for it. Also, the fold down desk top still has the functioning lock and skeleton key.

Old March 20th, 2023, 05:59 PM

Norm, The local dealer here is Ag Prohttps://www.agprocompanies.com/
Old March 20th, 2023, 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I was meaning to ask you. I know you bought a new tractor. What piece of equipment do you use to mow - rotary (horizontal) blades or reel (vertical) blades?
Old March 20th, 2023, 06:13 PM

That is beautiful, Chris. Did she hand paint the horse?
Old March 20th, 2023, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
That is beautiful, Chris. Did she hand paint the horse?
Greg - Thanks, I'll be sure and let her know! No she didn't paint the horse freehand. She`s good, but not that good. It was a complex stencil that had to be aligned and painted in stages. All the shading and highlighting was done by hand. I have to admit I was blown away when I first saw it!
Old March 20th, 2023, 10:45 PM

Those noodles look good. Better than the shitty BBQ served by a weirdo here at the plant. Working night shifts the first part of this week.
Old March 21st, 2023, 01:57 AM

Jim - I was meaning to ask you. I know you bought a new tractor. What piece of equipment do you use to mow - rotary (horizontal) blades or reel (vertical) blades?
Norm, I've become a JD kinda fellow, Tractor. Gator, Mower, seeder and [Hopefully soon ] bushhog My Exmark went to a new home in Stockbnridge Last year it blew a main seal and I was in the middle of mowing season so I had to get as new zero turn mower

The gator pic is Donny's shop at the golf course where I bought the used gator Hes a bud so when they got rid of 10 Gators, I got the one with the lowest hours
Old March 21st, 2023, 02:23 AM

Norm, This is what I was trying to say [ not very succesfully] https://scagaustralia.com.au/residen...l-lawn-mowers/
Old March 21st, 2023, 04:44 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, I've become a JD kinda fellow..
Nice family...
Old March 21st, 2023, 04:48 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, This is what I was trying to say [ not very succesfully] https://scagaustralia.com.au/residen...l-lawn-mowers/
Jim - Gotchya...makes sense.
I ordered new filters for the JD ZTR which should arrive tomorrow. I have a new set of blades ready to install. I use JD mulching blades. I don't bag & remove clippings.
Old March 21st, 2023, 04:50 AM

Chris, Your wifes artistic ability never bores [or ceases to] amaze me
Old March 21st, 2023, 05:16 AM

Chris, Your wifes artistic ability never bores [or ceases to] amaze me
Thanks Jim, I'll be sure and let her know you said that! That's sure a nice set of JD equipment you've accumulated! Smart move on your part in my opinion to buy quality equipment when you own acreage. The extra cost is offset by less downtime and the longevity in my experience.