The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2022, 07:11 AM

Just gray and wet here AGAIN in StL! The monsoons have really set in. I'll take it over snow any day though!

Decking contractor is not coming today because of the weather, we're now shooting for next Wednesday.

No big plans in the near term. Grandson Gabe has 2 basketball games back to back on Saturday morning from 10 until noon that I plan on going to. Much more enjoyable for me now since I'm not having to assist with the coaching.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 8th, 2022, 03:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

How nice to sleep in on a Thursday. Got Mom to the doctor and then got a few little things done this afternoon. Left Tiger with Mom and went home to get ready for my trip tomorrow. If he's there he has a fit.

Sorry Jamesbo I can't go. I don't use the self check at Walmart, or anywhere. Last time I was at Lowe's the girl tricked me into using self check. She said, I can take you over here. Then she just sat there and I had to do all the work anyway. Then I wanted to pay with cash and the machine didn't recognize one of the 20s I put in. She said, if you put it in it will give it back. Sure enough, my change was $20 more than it would have been. I gave her my opinion of the self check machine.

Chris the last time we saw that shot it was full of snow. It was beautiful here today, sunny and in the 70s. I know Kenneth will show up in a minute and say winter is finally here it's only 90. Why is there such a gap there between the two houses? Doesn't look like enough room for another house. Did each house buy extra land?

Gonna leave fairly early in the morning. It's a four hour drive, and with an hour's time change I can get there and have a good day. But I won't get there so early as to get them out of bed.

Okay have a good evening everyone. Gonna relax a little and watch some TV.

Old December 8th, 2022, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris the last time we saw that shot it was full of snow. It was beautiful here today, sunny and in the 70s. I know Kenneth will show up in a minute and say winter is finally here it's only 90. Why is there such a gap there between the two houses? Doesn't look like enough room for another house. Did each house buy extra land?
Mike - Yep, good memory, last time I posted that shot there was a bunch of snow out there.
I wondered about that large gap between thoae houses myself for the longest time. I finally looked up the Plat Map on the County website. That strip of turf that is darker brown between the two yards is actually a common ground/easement. I have absolutely no clue as to why the developer felt the need for an easement there???

Edit - Meant to say safe travels tomorrow and have fun!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 8th, 2022 at 03:24 PM.
Old December 9th, 2022, 03:58 AM

Headed Norte with a Jeep dash wiring harness in my pocket. Wish me luck
Old December 9th, 2022, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Headed Norte with a Jeep dash wiring harness in my pocket. Wish me luck
Safe travels and good luck Jim!
Old December 9th, 2022, 07:22 AM

Good morning guys,

There's a big red ball in the sky this morning, very confusing, haven't seen that in awhile, but welcome! Should be a beautiful day for December, with a high around 55°.

Started prepping for the Spring car and motorcycle season yesterday by ordering a bunch of oil and filters.
- 5 Qt Jug of Mobil 1 full synthetic 15w50 that will will go in the 4-4-2. This is a special Mobil 1 formulation with high ZDDP (1,300 ppm Zinc) and high Phosphorus (1,200 ppm) specifically designed for flat tappet cam applications.
- 1 Qt bottle of the same Mobil 1 15w50 to be added as needed throughout the season, as the car uses about a Qt over 1,500-miles.
- Wix 51049 oil filter for the 4-4-2.
- 12 Qts. Valvoline full synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil that will be used in both the Yamaha (6-Qts) and Indian (5.5-Qts). I find it very interesting that the crankcases in both of the bikes take more oil than the 4-4-2!
- K&N 303 oil filter for the Yamaha
- HiFlo HF 175 oil filter for the Indian
- 36 Oz. bottle of StaBil 360° fuel treatment designed to stabilize fuel, neutralize the effect of ethanol, and clean injectors and carburetor systems in all three vehicles.

Come Spring I should be ready to rock and roll!

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend!
Old December 9th, 2022, 09:44 AM

Douglas water proof connectors 101

Old December 9th, 2022, 10:04 AM
Running On Empty

43/42
Old December 9th, 2022, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
43/42
Not up to Par (pun intended) for you!
Old December 9th, 2022, 10:12 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Not up to Par (pun intended) for you!
I played golf.
Old December 9th, 2022, 12:29 PM

Hey guys,

Here is that Bassett dresser that I mentioned we had picked up last weekend and is supposed to be pretty valuable. It is from what Bassett called their "Mayan Collection" which you can see from the decorative brass drawer pulls and other decorative brass hardware. Who knows what it's worth the way my wife has refinished it? Doesn't really matter, I think it looks cool, and as long as she gets what she wants out of it that's all that matters.

Old December 9th, 2022, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

Hey guys,

Here is that Bassett dresser that I mentioned we had picked up last weekend and is supposed to be pretty valuable. It is from what Bassett called their "Mayan Collection" which you can see from the decorative brass drawer pulls and other decorative brass hardware. Who knows what it's worth the way my wife has refinished it? Doesn't really matter, I think it looks cool, and as long as she gets what she wants out of it that's all that matters.
Pretty piece. Identical piece on FB sold for $550.

Facebook Post
Old December 9th, 2022, 02:12 PM

Pretty piece. Identical piece on FB sold for $550.

https://www.facebook.com/modlines/po...5646400152476/
Thanks Norm, that's really cool you found that! I believe my wife has listed hers for $400, but would be willing to come down to $350, maybe even $325. Still be a nice payday for her when she got it for $15.
Old December 9th, 2022, 03:05 PM
Running On Empty

I found several identical pieces on-line, as well. One priced @ $1135, of course, it's still priced @ $1135 since it hasn't sold. I think the piece your wife finished w/ the black accenting is FAR better looking. GLWS
Old December 9th, 2022, 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

Douglas water proof connectors 101
Jim - Any issues getting them connected?
Old December 9th, 2022, 03:27 PM

I found several identical pieces on-line, as well. One priced @ $1135, of course, it's still priced @ $1135 since it hasn't sold. I think the piece your wife finished w/ the black accenting is FAR better looking. GLWS
Yes, my wife had found several online, that's where she had got the price range of $1,200 - $1,600 for ones in pristine condition, but your thinking is spot on, that's only if someone is willing to fork out the cash. Of course I'm biased, but I agree with you, I really like what my wife did with the piece, it looks much more interesting with the black accents and the gold highlighting on the lower drawer pulls. Thanks for the kind words and appreciation of her work, I'll let her know.
Old December 9th, 2022, 06:32 PM

Left work early since I have to work some tomorrow, and ran some errands. Went by the record store and, while looking at stuff, a lady came in with a collection. The store lady went through it with her. The majority was not worth anything, and they couldn't agree on the other 1/3rd. She did buy 5 records off her, so I figured I'd buy them off the store. There were several she didn't buy from the lady, and I didn't see how I could try a side sale in the parking lot. I had most of the ones I liked that didn't get purchased. Ended up with two Black Sabbath albums, one Ratt, one very nice Pink Floyd, and a Journey's Greatest Hits from that side deal, and then I bought some other stuff.

My record cleaner vacuum machine is down at the moment, so I can only pass through to the queue what either doesn't need cleaning at all, or what can be done solely with my ultrasonic cleaner.
Old December 9th, 2022, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
My record cleaner vacuum machine is down at the moment, so I can only pass through to the queue what either doesn't need cleaning at all, or what can be done solely with my ultrasonic cleaner.
John - Just curious, have you been able to work on the conversion of the cabinet to a record storage unit yet? Wanted to see a pic of it when you're done.
Old December 9th, 2022, 06:44 PM

No, sir, that's after Christmas.
Old December 9th, 2022, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
No, sir, that's after Christmas.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old December 10th, 2022, 05:13 AM

Jim - Any issues getting them connected?
Norm, the new stuff isn't the problem, it's the older ( brittle) stuff that is the issue. I'm not ready for a complete rewire ( i hope)
Old December 10th, 2022, 05:44 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, the new stuff isn't the problem, it's the older ( brittle) stuff that is the issue. I'm not ready for a complete rewire ( i hope)
Right. That's sorta why I was asking since I wasn't sure exactly what you were replacing - both ends or only the ends of the new Douglass harness. Hmmmm....
Old December 10th, 2022, 06:46 AM

Just the behind dash harness that is connected to the older wires going to all electrical components
Old December 10th, 2022, 01:43 PM

Well, I got the wrong *(*)&%($(%&(*)+(*& part. I got the dash harness that goes with the original [ no key] switch. This mini project started because the gas gauge went Tango Uniform after I installed the new tank and I Thought the behind the dash wiring was the problem. FWIW 4 screw let the whole gauge pod fall in your lap if you are careful and wiring over 3/4 of century can get Fubar rather quickly Cliff note version. I VERY carefully pulled the gauge cluster out removed and clean the hot and ground wire to the gas gauge and I think I've got it fixed. NO big deal cause I have a Jerry can on the back should I get low on gas. Sorry no pics, I cant hold a fragile gauge cluster, a flash light in my mouth and take pictures while smoking a cigar
Old December 10th, 2022, 02:13 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - You should have more than one Wehrmachtskanister. A flash light in your mouth while smoking a cigar. I like how you work.

Stacking some Wehrmacht-Einheitskanister at the Savannah Quartermaster Depot, Savannah, Georgia (1943)

Old December 10th, 2022, 02:44 PM

Norm, {I'm not one of them,] BUT there's a whole world out there seriously collecting different kinds/makes/sizes of Jerry cans
Old December 10th, 2022, 03:50 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - My cousin (Lonnie) owns 50-60 Wehrmachtskanister. After his tour in Nam he signed up for 101st Airborne, he then applied for Green Beret while he was w/ 101st, he was a Green Beret for ~5-6 years. He can recite every piece of machinery and weaponry used by the Wehrmacht from 1935 to 1945 including the Heer (army), the Kriegsmarine (navy) and the Luftwaffe (air force). He's a freak. He grew up on a Wisconsin dairy/swine farm. He resides in Alabama. He & his wife have their own little compound w/ an underground bunker, artillery range, & climate controlled weaponry locker. Did I mention he's a freak?
Old December 10th, 2022, 03:58 PM

He & his wife have their own little compound w/ an underground bunker, artillery range, & climate controlled weaponry locker. Did I mention he's a freak?
Old December 10th, 2022, 06:11 PM

Went in early today and took one certification label printer down. These things print the vin label and certification label on the door jamb via laser on two layer sticker paper on the fly. We had to bring in new labels, but, more critically, modify the data stream on the printer end and the plant end logical terminals because of new data requirements.

Did the maintenance, cleaned up old files, moved all the stuff over, fired it up, did some template checks, called Converter, and he brought the terminal up and it crashed upon use. After an hour of dicking with it, I realized that, while I modified the number of lines in the data stream file (which is the number of "things" the printer looks for in the 300 byte stream, and they are of various length, like the vin is one of the things and it is 17 of those bytes) from 75 to 74, there is a number at the start of the file that is that number of lines, and I did not change it. I forgot since it was summer of 2019 that I last changed the data stream. Typical German technology, absolutely would not work, and would give you a warning, but not tell you why it was happening. Got it fixed, running, and printed out all the labels to recertify it, so now, Assembly shop engineering and quality engineering get to sign off on it, or present me with a bitch list to fix Monday.

Came home, had lunch, took nap, hung around. Plant gave us a honey baked ham again this year, so I parted it out and had some and froze the rest.
Old December 11th, 2022, 04:49 AM
Running On Empty

He's a freak in a good way. He's a collector & a hobbyist. He has a predilection towards world war military history. Just to dispel any perceptions/notions he's bent towards vigilante agendas &/or the likes. He's far from it.
Old December 11th, 2022, 05:04 AM
Running On Empty

I've made significant progress on exterior house maintenance during the past 1.5 months. Lots of work remains. Most of the work involves sanding, scraping, priming & painting with some areas needing an upgrade, but not many. Most wouldn't know these areas need attention - until they rot & become non-salvageable. Today, I intend to erect two tiers of scaffolding on the backside of the house alongside my main electric (200A) service panel. About 6-7 years ago I sanded, scraped, primed & painted the service panel area. I had Duke Energy shut-off the power for the day while I worked the area & they did a nice job of upgrading the ground wire from the feeder line on the street pole. I'll get the outside work done on the house throughout winter & next spring I'll call them again to disconnect while I work the service panel area again.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 11th, 2022 at 05:07 AM.
Old December 11th, 2022, 05:22 AM

Norm We [down here] understand completely
Old December 11th, 2022, 05:24 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by jamesbo
norm we [down here] understand completely

Old December 11th, 2022, 06:18 AM

He's a freak in a good way. He's a collector & a hobbyist. He has a predilection towards world war military history. Just to dispel any perceptions/notions he's bent towards vigilante agendas &/or the likes. He's far from it.
Norm - That is good extra clarifying information. I was worried he is a radicalized survivalist/militia type. I try not to stereotype anyone for their views or lifestyle, but your original description immediately brought back a scary memory of when my brother (as a DNR game warden) was forced to draw down on 2 members of the Michigan Militia when he was the first law enforcement officer on the scene where they were testing homemade pipe bombs in a State Game Area. Luckily, multiple back-up officers arrived relatively quickly and the 2 offenders stood down.
Old December 11th, 2022, 08:45 AM

Home made pipe bombs are awesome.
Old December 11th, 2022, 09:30 AM
Running On Empty

When I retired I learned several things:
(1) Don't finish today what I can finish tomorrow;
(2) Quit while I'm ahead; and,
(3) Golf is a game to be enjoyed.

I couldn't have erected this scaffolding any better. Therefore, pursuant to both items [(1) & (2) above] I'm calling it a day. Far too easy for me to MAW. I was tempted to take the sander to the eaves - not happening today; although, it's gorgeous outdoors.

Today's Erection

Old December 11th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Running On Empty

Hopefully, you can identify the areas which I have addressed...a work of art on these 90 yr. old bungalows.

I'll get three more areas (to the left) completed before quitting to call & have electric service disconnected to finish.

Same as next two (closeup) images.

Highest peak and siding finished (North Side facing). This area will be worked dependent on weather this winter.

Closeup of previous image.

Top area complete (finished).
Old December 11th, 2022, 09:43 AM
Running On Empty

It's these type areas which require TLC before they rot. I replaced this wood twenty years ago when I replaced the roof (and underlayment). The house never had rain gutters. I installed rain gutters ~12 years ago (to move water 'away' from the house). I think the contractor I hired could have elongated the upright sheet metal diverter further. I believe water is funneling into this area which I'll address.

I'll need to rebuilt this area.
Old December 11th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Running On Empty

Old December 11th, 2022, 11:20 AM

Norm - Very tasty looking lunch/dinner you've made yourself! Is that some type of ham on your salad???