The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2022, 11:32 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, If ya ever want any wheels with bolt on centers I've got them coming out of my ears. /FREE
Jim - Thanks so much for the very kind offer, greatly appreciate it. Thus far (things could change) I'm looking at a modest amount of cosmetic damage which I don't believe (up to this point) can't be address with some sandpaper and steel wool prior to a new coat of paint within that one lug nut/stud cutout.

I'm not where I'm heading at this point. I'm going to jack up the front end to see if it's even remotely possible to remove the caliper while the hub + rotor is attached to the car, then remove the spindle/axle nut plus the wheel. I have absolutely no clue if that's remotely possible but I think I need to have a look at it from a different angle. The absolute final chapter would be to go ballistic on it with a full on grinder, digging into (and ruining the wheel) to cutoff the stud from the front. Although Joe just responded to the other thread and maybe I should venture down to Ace Hardware with an open wallet for some carbide tip bits.
Old November 26th, 2022, 12:56 PM

118th Edition of "The Game"

Hail to the Victors!!!

Old November 26th, 2022, 02:07 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hail to the Victors!!!
I'm going to include myself as a Victor...

Old November 26th, 2022, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm going to include myself as a Victor...

Hurray for Norm!
Old November 26th, 2022, 03:02 PM
Running On Empty

I wonder if Mike got his $hit together?
Old November 26th, 2022, 03:05 PM

Took the 56 F100 down to a friend to get it painted this winter. I hope it's not in body shop jail too long. Glad you got it, Norm!
Old November 26th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Took the 56 F100 down to a friend to get it painted this winter. I hope it's not in body shop jail too long. Glad you got it, Norm!
Thanks, Greg. Looking forward to a strikingly good looking Meadow Green truck.
Old November 26th, 2022, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Greg - I hope the paint job goes well and that it turns out real nice for you. I also am looking forward to seeing it, I think you picked a really nice color!
Old November 26th, 2022, 04:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What an exciting couple of days. Yesterday the tank pumper guy came out, long story longer he found that the line exiting the house had collapsed, which is why my sump pump kept pumping the same water back and forth. Well, water mixed with whatever else was exiting the house. He had his digger machine and finally found the septic tank. Two feet under ground. He took the lid off and the tank was full. But not overflowing. I find irony in this. The line failing and causing so much trouble, actually saved me from a real disaster. He sucked the tank out and will come back next week to install a riser so a cleanout will be flush with the ground, and it doesn't have to be dug up again. He said he has no reason to think the field isn't operating like it should. But for now everything works and we are unrestricted in what we do plumbing-wise.

This morning I noticed my toilet was dripping pretty good from a rusted tank bolt. I knew it needed attention(do you see a pattern here?) but kept putting it off. Went to the hardware store and got a new toilet and had it in in about three hours. Also did a lot of cleaning in the area and also took time to talk on the phone. This awesome dude called just to check up on me.

Also got a new Husqvarna chain saw. Whoa it's a bign' . I'll have half the county cut down in no time.

Greg that will be one nice looking truck.

Norm good show with the lug nut. That is 51 years of using an impact. Get you a T wrench and give them german torque(guten-tight) but not apeshit.

Leftover spaghetti for supper. Gonna have some ice cream and then hit the sack. Gotta finish getting caught up. I didn't do much yesterday and I was beat. The guy that came wasn't too old, 20 something, and he worked his *** off. Really lucked out getting such a good guy. Anyway.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old November 26th, 2022, 04:59 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - So glad the young buck was able to isolate your issue (collapsed line) & help you out. With a new toilet now installed it appears you're getting your $hit together. I was thinking of removing the exhaust manifolds on either the F250 or the CS just to see if any of the manifold bolts might be stripped. The lug nut was such a piece of cake I'd like to add some icing. (Then schedule a frontal lobotomy)

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 26th, 2022 at 05:01 PM. Reason: sp
Old November 26th, 2022, 06:04 PM

Mike - Congrats on getting the septic tank squared away and the toilet replaced!
Old November 26th, 2022, 06:55 PM

With a new toilet now installed it appears you're getting your $hit together.
Oh there just isn’t an emoji or internet groan loud enough to do that justice.

Good one, Norm. I applaud you.
Old November 27th, 2022, 03:06 AM

Mike - So glad the young buck was able to isolate your issue (collapsed line) & help you out. With a new toilet now installed it appears you're getting your $hit together. I was thinking of removing the exhaust manifolds on either the F250 or the CS just to see if any of the manifold bolts might be stripped. The lug nut was such a piece of cake I'd like to add some icing. (Then schedule a frontal lobotomy)
Norm, Id rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Old November 27th, 2022, 03:23 AM

Mike - good deal. Isn't it great when you find a good repairman? Write his info down and don't lose it. It seems like anymore when I deal with someone new I expect to get screwed..
Old November 27th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I saw the perfect opportunity to render some humor.
Jim - I, as well.
Greg - I was going to mention the exact same thing to Mike. Good repair/maintenance personnel are so difficult to find. When you find one, never let them go.

Took my time sipping on coffee while cleaning up yesterday's lug nut fiasco, putting tools away, etc. I have OCD when it involves projects - things need to be in order (to a degree). CS is on (4) stands, caliper & shoes removed. Hub/Disc/Rotor assembly is not OEM but in perfect condition including the shoes. Dust cap & spindle nut removal next. I'll be interested in evaluating bearings/seal condition. I would suspect they're going to be in excellent condition based upon condition of the disc rotor. I'm replacing the bearings & seal w/ new anyways since I'm tearing it down. Based upon the condition of the bearings/seal I may opt out of an R&R of bearings/seal on the front LH side. Coffee tastes good. Warm & moist outdoors...warm & moist is my favorite. I can't help myself.

Old November 27th, 2022, 09:36 AM
Running On Empty

Appendix removal = Surgical term = Appendectomy
Tonsils removal = Surgical term = Tonsillectomy
Gall Bladder removal = Surgical term = Cholecystectomy
**** my brains out = Non-Surgical term - Slipthedictomy
Old November 27th, 2022, 09:44 AM

toilet joke was better.

For wheel torque, I apply some anti-seize and torque to spec with a wrench and no more. I may be 20% over with the lube, but I figure that's within standards.
Old November 27th, 2022, 09:49 AM

How bout another?
Make her scream = non-surgical term = Clitlictomy
Old November 27th, 2022, 10:01 AM

Old November 27th, 2022, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Or was it???
Old November 27th, 2022, 10:34 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - No bad, not bad.
Old November 27th, 2022, 10:46 AM
Running On Empty

Lug Nut From Hell: UPDATE

There exits one stud which was replaced by someone on this disc/rotor/hub assembly prior to my ownership (I've mentioned this before). Employing my new set of 7/16"-20 lug nuts the run-out of each lug nut on that new stud is perfect. Of the three (still attached) remaining studs there is no run out. My new lug nuts stop about 1/2-way & begin to bind. My other three wheels there is no issue with these new lug nuts - the run-out is as expected - clean, no binding. Albeit, the issue is w/ this one disc/rotor/hub assembly & I'll be replacing four studs. Whoever performed the last job on this assembly should have replaced more than one stud (most likely). It's folly to consider how they got this way - it's enough to validate they're toast and need replacing. Calling it a day. I sprayed the three remaining studs w/ penetrating fluid to sit overnight (or whenever I get to them next). Parts arrive on Thursday.
Old November 27th, 2022, 01:10 PM

Damn Right!
Old November 27th, 2022, 01:11 PM

A good one!
Old November 27th, 2022, 03:30 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Kenneth wins.

Walmart kicked my *** today and I haven't done much more. Was nice today the sun was out, it rained overnight.

It is nice to find a good service person these days. And the company is local. There are places that I've used for years and years and years but this is the first time I've needed a septic guy. Funny thing, I probably won't need him again.

Not much else. Gonna hit the sack early tonight. Hope everyone has a good week.

Old November 27th, 2022, 03:52 PM

Went and bought this thing here today. It's a liquor cabinet, probably weighs more than 100 lbs. My plan is to redo the shelving into record storage for 33s. It was built by inmate labor at either a state prison or USP Big Sandy, either way, in Kentucky, in 2000 and the owner is moving and selling things. It has no provenance, and, while not fancy, it is heavy duty and does its job. It has shelves on the doors, swinging shelves in the middle to allow access to the back shelves. It is tall enough for two rows of LPs, and wide enough for many. It is not deep enough for two tiers of LPs. My plan is to expand the back shelves to hold 100 LPs spine forward in each quadrant for 400. I will move forward and expand the swinging shelves to hold 50 LPs sideways in each quadrant for 200, thus a target total of 600. I will remove the door shelves for clearance.

I think I can do this with about 4 additional pieces of wood and a decent amount of additional cabinet hardware. It was a cast iron bitch to move it in by myself, the guy helped me load at his place, no help at mine. I backed the truck as close as I could to the front door, eased it down off the tailgate, humped it over the step and put one end under a furniture dolly and lifted and pushed to the door. Then I pulled the front up and in with the dolly on the back, then moved the dolly inside and lifted the back and pushed in. I put a couple nicks in it, no dings on house or me. I can use a wood touch up pen to help.

Last edited by Koda; November 27th, 2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old November 27th, 2022, 03:56 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Went and bought this thing here today.

Old November 27th, 2022, 03:58 PM

Reload.
Old November 27th, 2022, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I put a couple nicks in it, no dings on house or me. I can use a wood touch up pen to help.
John - Looks like a nice, heavy duty piece of furniture! Hope your intended design works. Glad ya didn't get hurt trying to get it in the house by yourself. You'll have to remember to show us some "after" pics when you're done with it.
Old November 27th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Running On Empty

Ya think the inmate might have been a Virgin Killer?

Make sure the bottom (which looks like press-board) baseboard and legs can support the additional 250lbs - 275lbs. May need a heavier more sturdy base board &/or support for the legs.
Old November 27th, 2022, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
A good one!
"Le ****, Now!"
Old November 28th, 2022, 04:25 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah, work. After a nice long weekend it feels like I never left. Slow start, which I completely understand.

Question about grass seed, if anyone were to know. After young septic buck is done today, I'm gonna rake out the ground real nice. What grass seed can I put down that might grow over winter? Or, where do I find bails of straw to put down so the birds don't eat the grass seed before it grows whenever?

I've had three wall guys in an hour and a half. I wish people could get their acts together. Eh, I'm here all day.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old November 28th, 2022, 04:34 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Generally speaking, winter rye grass is most likely your best bet this time of year. Generally (in Georgia) you should plant between late August to end of October, so you're just a little late but winter rye grass is most likely your best choice as it's very cold tolerant. Yellow straw is best to cover the seed - but don't go too think or the straw will kill the seed. You only need a single layer of straw. You can most often buy a bale of straw at your local Ace Hardware, Walmart, etc. You might check the stores for bags of rye grass which already contains a bedding material (it isn't straw) mixed into the bag of winter rye grass. Your other option is sod. You might be able to find some sod yet in your general stores garden centers (on sale maybe). If you go sod, water it really well to give it a chance. You're a tad late on plantings, so whatever choice you'll need to stay on top of it. Good Luck.
Old November 28th, 2022, 06:38 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I had to look up where this guy lives (Covington) - Louisiana, based upon the newspaper where it was posted.

QUESTION: Is now a good time to plant rye grass seed? If I plant perennial rye grass, will it come back up next fall? -- Tim Vincent.

ANSWER: October and November are good months to plant winter rye seed for stabilizing soil in areas sparsely covered by regular lawn grass or recently filled areas.

Rye can also be used to overseed existing lawns to extend the green color of the lawn through the winter. Remember that this also extends the chore of mowing your lawn. Annual and perennial ryes are both available. Annual rye is most commonly available and less expensive.

Perennial rye produces the higher quality turf - finer texture, darker green color and it does not have to be mowed as often. But the seed is more expensive. Both types die in April or May and must be replanted every year.

Rye seed should be broadcast evenly at the rate of 5-10 pounds per 1000 square feet of lawn area. Water every other day until the seed spouts, and mow regularly at a height of one and one-half inches.
Old November 28th, 2022, 07:00 AM

Norm - I find this paragraph from the QUOTE you posted above most confusing:

"Perennial rye produces the higher quality turf - finer texture, darker green color and it does not have to be mowed as often. But the seed is more expensive. Both types die in April or May and must be replanted every year."

In the last sentence, it states, "Both types die in April or May and must be replanted every year." This doesn't make sense to me because by definition perennial grasses are self-regenerating and should continue to grow each growing season. Can you explain this???
Old November 28th, 2022, 09:17 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Norm. I was actually hoping to find a grass that I could plant and be done with. I knew rye grass died off in the spring. I read that "dormant" seeding in the winter is okay and the grass will start to grow in the spring. I could probably plant both at the same time, so I don't have a giant mud pit before the spring growth. There's a guy in the neighborhood that has an electric green lawn all winter. Looks pretty cool.

I'm bringing up the rear here. My wall guy is slow as hell. I'm gonna have to say something to him. He's new, but he's been doing the wall every day for over a week, he should be able to speed it up a little bit.

No word from the young septic buck. I'm gonna call the office in a minute. After he left Friday, Tiger made a B-line for the dug up area and sniffed around. After that, he showed no interest in it whatsoever. I'm thankful for that.

Old November 28th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Mike, the only thing about rye grass is you are going to be mowing grass Christmas day
Old November 28th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Always room for one more

Maybe I can get dwarf rye grass.

Old November 28th, 2022, 11:55 AM

Mike, Ill ax my opening a closing company [a.k.k.a grave diggers] if they have any old ersatz grass mats they are going to pitch
Old November 28th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Jeff

John, I'd keep looking for a different cabinet and use that one for it's intended purpose! The "innards" almost seem like a shame to remove.

UofM made up for the Turkey Day Lions coaching blunder.