The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

I developed Shingles (Herpes zoster [reactivation of latent Varicella-zoster <Chicken Pox> virus]) ~8-9 years ago - appeared one night while watching T.V. Scared the bejeezers out of me - never heard of it. I do have "some" acquired immunity resulting from that exposure & I'm not certain how long any immune response will last. I think it's a good thing for anyone (esp. 60+ yrs. old) to get the vaccine regimen. Mine developed on the right-side of my scalp & face. It was kinda miserable but it wasn't what I'd call "outrageous". It was miserable, yes.
Old November 30th, 2022, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Didn't know you you were a drummer too!
The first instrument I wanted to play was drums. Parents said no. They "insisted" on the accordion. I know I threw a couple tantrums, but that's life. I learned paradiddles & triple rows on my own.
Old November 30th, 2022, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442

Gonna be a Three Dog Night tonight, I'll have to throw several more cubic feet of natural gas in the fireplace. I think it's supposed to get down into the teens.
Might want to grab the wife instead of the dogs and make it just an old fashioned love song instead.
Old November 30th, 2022, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Might want to grab the wife instead of the dogs and make it just an old fashioned love song instead.
Funny, that's just what Mama Told Me!
Old November 30th, 2022, 05:39 PM
Running On Empty

Mamma told me not to come...Say what?
Old November 30th, 2022, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mamma told me not to come...Say what?
Which is difficult, because it's so easy to be hard!
Old November 30th, 2022, 06:03 PM
Running On Empty

Three Dog Night was the first concert I attended - One.
Old November 30th, 2022, 06:14 PM

Three Dog Night was the first concert I attended - One.
I want to say Liar, but I know what you're telling me is Sure as I'm Sitting Here! They're one of my all time favorites and I listen to their music all the time. My favorite is their version of Try a Little Tenderness. Ooh she may be weary, young girls they do get weary, wearing that same old ragged dress, and ooh while she gets weary, weary, won't you try, won't you try some tenderness.
Old November 30th, 2022, 06:23 PM
Running On Empty

Aug. 16, 1969 — Three Dog Night, Majestic, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:08 PM
Running On Empty

Aug. 16, 1969 — Three Dog Night, Majestic, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.
Oooops...I am a liar.

Aug. 6, 1969 - Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, Ravinia, Highland Park, Illinois.

I was an exchange student eight weeks in Europe the summer of '69 (June through July). I did see this rising no-name Ian Hunter that summer in London. First time I associated the name Ian Hunter w/ Jethro Tull, actually. Right after I returned my buddies were all going to Ravinia to see FZ. Hell yeah I went with them.
Old November 30th, 2022, 07:22 PM

Oooops...I am a liar.

Aug. 6, 1969 - Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, Ravinia, Highland Park, Illinois.

I was an exchange student eight weeks in Europe the summer of '69 (June through July). I did see this rising no-name Ian Hunter that summer in London. First time I associated the name Ian Hunter w/ Jethro Tull, actually. Right after I returned my buddies were all going to Ravinia to see FZ. Hell yeah I went with them.
Norm - I can appreciate Frank Zappa, but can't say I was ever a big fan. Now, Three Dog Night, I would have given my eye teeth to see in concert.
Old December 1st, 2022, 02:16 AM

Music question for you foreigners [that can spell Zamboni] Yall ever heard of Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts?
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:31 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Never heard of them. Just looked them up. Primarily a Southeastern U.S.A. garage band devoted to risque lyrics, various states of undress & jokes having developed a strong playing circuit at parties & colleges. Hmmmm....I wonder. I need to look at something.

EDIT: I looked at something & they're not the same banc I was thinking of I may have seen on YouTube several times. They're on YouTube, but a different band than the one I thought they may be.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 1st, 2022 at 04:39 AM.
Old December 1st, 2022, 05:03 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Wow I'm just caught up after working steady since 6. That's a rarity. My wall guy again saved all his cards, and also a couple left over from yesterday, and he's actually been picking up the pace a little.

Gosh I almost hate to say it amongst this crowd, but my musical tastes are mainly retro(80s) and older country. I like some stuff outside this but by and large it's mainly what I listen to. The oldest form of media I have is 8 track, have a player in one of the cars, and tons of cassettes, and I still have my 45's from when I was a kid. Oh and I love disco.

No septic guy yesterday. The phone warmer said he might not be able to make it. So I'm torn. Do I call them this morning and badger them for another appointment, or do I wait to see if he shows today? On the one hand the gaping hole in the back yard isn't bothering me, nor is it dangerous for Tiger, but on the other hand I'm paid in full and I don't want them to forget me.

Hm might be an early break.

Old December 1st, 2022, 05:05 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I thought you said in an earlier post a part the septic guy needs won't be in until tomorrow, Friday?
Old December 1st, 2022, 05:08 AM
Always room for one more

Oh did I leave that part out? When I called the phone warmer said the parts won't be in till Friday. Then she called a little while later and said the parts were there and he'd be there [yesterday]. Wednesday came and went and no guy. Which makes this a sort of conundrum. The guy is awesome but the office people are scatterbrains. Still a good place to call? This remains to be seen.

Old December 1st, 2022, 05:15 AM

Mike go to Lowes and get a roll of straw. roll it out over the bare spot. problem solved.Straw blankets come in 100 foot rolls about 4 feet wide
Old December 1st, 2022, 05:16 AM
Running On Empty

I think you're doing well to be just a little patient. Evidently someone thought the job wasn't going to get finalized until a part (scheduled for a Friday arrival) came in. Can't say if it still a good place to call. Like anything, you sometimes have to learn the intricacies of how a business does business. Sounds like the young buck knows his stuff (great) but as you said the office folks (who most likely schedule his calls) aren't in synch? They have to schedule stuff (generally) one or two days in advance. Hope it works in your favor - the sooner the better - everyone wants it sooner.
Old December 1st, 2022, 06:11 AM
Running On Empty

Golf tomorrow morning will begin a tad on the nippy side.
Finished another large section of sanding, priming, caulking & painting yesterday. Moved three sections of scaffolding and setting up for more of same in different areas. Tad chilly today - we'll see how the day progresses.
Kenneth - Last of the parts arrived yesterday - spindle seal, tapered bearings & rotor studs. I might get things reassembled minus the SSII wheel itself, as I have some cosmetics to address prior to remounting. Glad you suggested to replace the studs - that's a better choice than a new hub/rotor assembly. I may have to rethink my notions regarding Dorman products. Some things I've bought from them are not good (at all), others are so-so; however, these rotor studs look to be excellent quality.

Old December 1st, 2022, 08:40 AM
Always room for one more

You're right Norm. I tend to be a little impatient. Add in that I asked to be the last appointment of the day so I'll be there and it's hard to schedule someone who doesn't know how long each call will take. I'd like to be there when he's there but right now I'd take anything I could get. I'm sure it will all work out. You know what's funny? I could make that thing with about $10 worth of supplies and my own tractor, which happens to be sitting about 15 feet away. I'm sure he's going to use some apparatus that is factory made and costs hundreds.

Old December 1st, 2022, 08:41 AM
Running On Empty

Running about town is done. Opted to make homemade soup today while working on various activities - both Chris & Jim have inspired me. Soup will be pulled chunks of a (boiled) hen, potato, carrot, celery, & leek accompanied by water-boiled homemade cornbread.
Old December 1st, 2022, 09:01 AM

Norm, I'm proud of ya. Tomorrow I'm making veggie soup and Shepard's pie [with hot water cornbread of course] AND Welsh rarebit
Old December 1st, 2022, 09:11 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - My soup will most likely not be ready today - that could change. I have some activities to address while things are being prepared.
Old December 1st, 2022, 10:05 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Shepard's pie
Jim - U da man! That's the shiznitz.
Old December 1st, 2022, 10:16 AM

Norm, I'm living proof taters are good fer ya. Mashed, baked, fried, scalloped scattered covered and smothered. They are all good fer ya
Old December 1st, 2022, 10:26 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, I'm living proof taters are good fer ya. Mashed, baked, fried, scalloped scattered covered and smothered. They are all good fer ya
Absolutely. One of the best cultivated carbohydrates you can eat. In fact, they'll calm down an unruly digestive system.
Old December 1st, 2022, 10:28 AM

I think that this was used in the opening episode of Dragnet.
Old December 1st, 2022, 10:31 AM
Always room for one more

Normie, or anyone, how do I find out what band my phone is operating on? Also, anyone know how to find a good cell phone booster?

dum, dadum dum

Old December 1st, 2022, 10:33 AM

Hey guys,

Just got back from getting my Shingles vaccine. My wife went with me since we had other plans afterwards. She waited in the car, which was no big deal because I was in and out of there in 10-minutes. No ill effects yet, keeping my fingers crossed.

Afterwards we hit Lowes first because she needed both Mineral Spirits and Denatured Alcohol for her refinishing. Then we hit Sam's Club which we haven't been to in a long time and we needed alot, especially several types of meat, our freezer was essentially bare. Yikes what a bill, it was scary.

Jim and Norm, you're cooking plans all sound delicious! We're going simple tonight, but treating ourselves to 2 large, about an inch and a half thick, New York Strips, Baked Potatoes with lots of butter and sour cream, asparagus, and crescent rolls. Only downside is it's too cold to grill outside, my wife's gonna do them in the broiler.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 1st, 2022, 10:46 AM

Singe paradiddles, double paradiddles & the cow jumped over the moon. Sorry, that's about all of the musical talent that I have. Victor Borge, I remember him, pretty funny. My mom had the shingles in her mid 70's, the doctor was surprised as she didn't seemed too bothered by it. I got the vaccination @ 62, my Dr. said it would be smart for people to get the vaccination sooner, but insurance companies won't cover it any sooner. Didn't surprise me one bit. Same with the Pneumonia vaccine. The last two dogs that I had were Siberian huskies, had the first, a female for 15 years, the second, a male, which I got from the dog pound at three years old, I only had for seven years (cancer). I wouldn't mind another one, but my yard is too small. I may have to give soup making a try. We had two co workers retiring yesterday, and it was soup & salad. One gal made a potato & bacon soup, which was pretty good, as i was eating it, I was thinking of ways to improve on it. Another gal made chicken & dumplings, also very tasty. I was chided a bit for not making soup to bring, as a couple of people there apparently like my cooking.
Old December 1st, 2022, 10:47 AM

Chris, Steak cooked inside benefit greatly with this stuff https://www.savoryexperiments.com/maitre-dhotel-butter/
Old December 1st, 2022, 11:07 AM

Jim, I printed that recipe, I'll have to use it. I bought some ribeyes a couple of weeks ago, from a well known butcher shop. They have really good meat, but the ribeye's are too thin in my opinion, about an 1". I would prefer 1 1/2-2" thick. When I am done with the ones theat I have, I may see if I can get them cut thicker in the future, and try the method for cooking filet mignon, that we discussed here.
Old December 1st, 2022, 12:11 PM

Chris, Steak cooked inside benefit greatly with this stuff https://www.savoryexperiments.com/maitre-dhotel-butter/
Jim - Like Dan, I've saved this for future reference. Don't have time to prepare it before we eat tonight, but I'll give it a go the next time. We bought enough Steaks for 6 dinners, so the next time won't be too far in the future. Thanks for the tip!
Old December 1st, 2022, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - At any time, in case you can't search/find it, let me know I'll send you a copy of the Filet Mignon cooking method. Actually, now that I'm indoors for the remainder of the day, I think I'll scan it and post it to this thread - that way you can d/l the method.
Old December 1st, 2022, 01:30 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Normie, or anyone, how do I find out what band my phone is operating on? Also, anyone know how to find a good cell phone booster?

dum, dadum dum
  1. On an iPhone, enter *3001#12345#* in your call box to enter field test mode. ...
  2. On an Android, enter *#0011# in the call box, and it will directly show the frequency you are currently on.
Old December 1st, 2022, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Here's a link (a little dated) but I'm sure it will work (in case you want to follow a tutorial). Good Luck.
There are a couple articles on the page regarding cell phone signal boosters, also.

How To Check What Frequency Band Is Used By The Cell Phone?

1. On an iPhone, enter *3001#12345#* in your call box to enter field test mode. ...
  2. On an Android, enter *#0011# in the call box, and it will directly show the frequency you are currently on.
Old December 1st, 2022, 01:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I think that this was used in the opening episode of Dragnet.
Where are my royalties?
Old December 1st, 2022, 01:40 PM
Running On Empty

Four brand spanking new disc/rotor studs installed. As a bonus, I think I found a very, very similar color match to a 1/2 pint of Ace (no less) Rust Proof oil-based exterior paint in a color called Almond. Anything w/in a couple shades of the current wheel color will be just fine - they're wheels. I need to prep the wheel good - sanding, wire-wheel, steel wool, masking & primer first. Didn't have time to reassemble the disc/rotor to the spindle and install the caliper with soup making and more scaffolding adjustments to contend with. So be it. I could mount the wheel "as is" and address the cosmetics later, but I'd just as soon get it done while it's on jack stands.

EDIT: BTW, the oil-based paint is not a spray can. I'll have to brush it on. This shouldn't be an issue since oil sets & dries very favorable with no brush marks when applied correctly. It will take a little finesse I have a drawer full of good brushes.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 1st, 2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old December 1st, 2022, 01:52 PM

Norm As I sure you know some days ya gotta be better than a 2 plate juggler
Old December 1st, 2022, 01:55 PM
Running On Empty

Norm As I sure you know some days ya gotta be better than a 2 plate juggler
Jim - You are correct in that respect.