The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2022, 02:00 PM

My phone started losing charge overnight, then went from 100% to 1% in 20 minutes. This is an iPhone 6S - yeah I know it’s old but it does everything I need it to do and I have no desire to buy anything newer.

I searched online and found tutorials on replacing the battery and replacement battery and installation kit for $25 with next day delivery on Amazon. Swapped the old 1715 mAH battery for a 3200 mAH battery in an hour or so. I should be good for another 10 years now.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 02:02 PM

I'm getting rid of my 4-4-2 and gonna buy a 4-wheeler, the scenery looks better than car shows!

Old December 3rd, 2022, 02:21 PM

Unfortunately for every 4 wheeler with women like that there are 999 with dirty men.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 07:27 PM

Did minor housework today. Got on the roof and blew leaves out of the gutter. I laid out where I want my car barn last week, so I took some pics while up there. You are looking at a side. The far part is measured at 36' wide by 40' deep, with 3 bays of garage doors to your far left. The closer part is a 24' wide x 20' deep 2 car garage. This is a planned 8 parking spots.Unfortunately, the power and internet go right through it, so they get moved to go down the property line and in. That tree by the stump will probably go.

I also tried to get a camera and light down my chimney flues. No go, it's too tight, but I may be able to go up. You can see some pics I took from outside. I have a large flue for fireplace, and a small flue, unused, that goes to the basement. I want to use it for a wood stove I want to put down there, as I believe is the idea behind it.

Lastly, replaced bulbs in some front lights. No go. Took panel off switches, jiggled switch, now it works. It intermittently will buzz on turning on. I think I have a switch failing.

Cleaned vinyl records, cooked chicken, ran the dishwasher.

Old December 3rd, 2022, 07:48 PM

Looks to be a very nice garage. I am jealous.

Originally Posted by Koda
Cleaned vinyl records, cooked chicken, ran the dishwasher.
Sounds like my Saturday. Except my vinyl records stayed in storage.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Did minor housework today. Got on the roof and blew leaves out of the gutter. I laid out where I want my car barn last week, so I took some pics while up there. You are looking at a side. The far part is measured at 36' wide by 40' deep, with 3 bays of garage doors to your far left. The closer part is a 24' wide x 20' deep 2 car garage. This is a planned 8 parking spots.Unfortunately, the power and internet go right through it, so they get moved to go down the property line and in. That tree by the stump will probably go.
John - That car barn is really gonna be something when you get it done! Sure wish I had the property to do that.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 09:03 PM

Hail to the Victors!
Big 10 Champions
13 and 0 Record
Headed to the College Football Playoffs as the #2 Seed
Go Blue!!!

Old December 4th, 2022, 03:49 AM

Hey John, I think it was you who was talking about vintage stereos a while back? I have a 1979 Sansui G5500 which I bought brand new at the Navy Exchange in Yokosuka Japan and had sent to my Moms house just b4 I got out. Anyway It got where it would lose one speaker and just be generally staticky. So I think it was you who recommended cleaning it out. Well I did that yesterday. Took it over to shop, took off cover and blew it out and cleaned the balance doohickey and the tuner with electric contact cleaner. Now it is so much better. Yeah it still kicks ***! It is the oldest new item I ever bought, so has sentimental value.
Old December 4th, 2022, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hey John, I think it was you who was talking about vintage stereos a while back? I have a 1979 Sansui G5500 which I bought brand new at the Navy Exchange in Yokosuka Japan and had sent to my Moms house just b4 I got out. Anyway It got where it would lose one speaker and just be generally staticky. So I think it was you who recommended cleaning it out. Well I did that yesterday. Took it over to shop, took off cover and blew it out and cleaned the balance doohickey and the tuner with electric contact cleaner. Now it is so much better. Yeah it still kicks ***! It is the oldest new item I ever bought, so has sentimental value.
Greg - Good for you, very cool that you were able to get it working again!
Old December 4th, 2022, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
This is good. You may, at some time, wish to find an electronics tech to inspect it. Controls issues and bulb replacement are one thing, but capacitors have a finite life and can sometimes take other things with them. A general once over, checking bias, offsets, and looking for bulged and out of spec caps, plus anything cooked, would be good. Replacing bulbs with LEDs can be done, but great care should be taken to find the right look to match the original. Keep using it, but start looking for a guy.
Old December 4th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from Walmart. Was only an hour and a half of torture, usually it's over two hours there. I seem to spend less and less there and Mom seems to spend more and more. Don't know how that works.

John that's a nice big yard. The garage is going to be nice. I have a bunch of old stereo equipment I don't know what to do with. I'm not sure it even works after all these years. It isn't good stuff, Technics I think. I'm not going to use it and I've heard Good Will doesn't take that sort of stuff.

Chris are they the referee's from the mud run your wife and daughter went to?

Mom wants to go over to my house this afternoon and help put stuff away. All she ever does is put the dishes in the dishwasher. Eh, there isn't much I want her to do. But she feels bad that I spend all my time at her house and wants me to have time at my house.

Well okay. Might be a short week, I want to see if my friend in Alabama wants me to come out this weekend to do the fall yardwork. He's almost blind but thinks he can still run a chain saw. I shudder even thinking about it.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old December 4th, 2022, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Chris are they the referee's from the mud run your wife and daughter went to?
Who knows, might have been? Then again, thinking about it for a minute, since the Mud Run my wife and daughter participated in was a women only event, the referees would probably have been half naked men on the ATVs!

I share your pain with Walmart! It's the cheapest place we can get groceries and many other necessities, I look at it as a necessary evil!

Old December 4th, 2022, 12:01 PM

I buy groceries from the expensive place since it's better and on the way home and I only have to feed me. I do not miss Walmart, other than that it has a lot of other stuff with the grocery store, too.
Old December 4th, 2022, 12:49 PM

Groceries? It depends. about 10 years ago I sold off part of my farm to Publix. I hate to pay their prices but Ill make a quick trip there for a few things. Dog/cat food and major grocery shopping I head to Walmart> The major problem I have with Walmart is NO ONE speaks English. Where the paper towels? get the deer in the headlights look from Patel
Old December 4th, 2022, 01:07 PM
Running On Empty

Packed the bearings, installed a new (grease) seal, installed hub/rotor assembly, installed brake caliper/shoes, greased caliper pins & any sliding surfaces, applied Loctite Blue thread locker to caliper pins & torqued to gutentight than decided to call it a day. Sprayed some BrakeKleen directly into left eye (that wasn't good), washed out eyeball w/ water, sight is OK - most likely burned a little sclera tissue from the eye - should grow back w/ no issues but will take a week or so (I looked up possible damages to eye from brake cleaner solvents). Sclera is awfully tough connective tissue (thankfully).

I'll double-check torque (30-40 lb-ft) tomorrow & install the outside grease cover (cap). I noticed when I removed the hub/rotor assembly someone had basically (nearly) packed the entire hub/spindle w/ grease. IMO, that's far more grease than necessary. I've packed grease that way into boat trailer assemblies but not sure all that grease is necessary on a vehicle hub/rotor assembly. Eh, if it starts smoking I'll pull over.

Yesterday, I wanted to work outdoors all day. I noticed/wanted to close the storm windows on the area I needed to wash on the exterior. Well, that migrated to a MAW the entire day. My storm windows are the style (you find them mostly on many Northern homes, in particular the old-style) with two glass panes and a screen which slides in channels up/down - generally installed over double-hung windows which is exactly what I have. Short story, I ended up remaining inside the house cleaning each double-hung window casing, storm window channels, etc. That took a long time, but had to be done. Don't get me going on rebuilding double-hung wooden windows - I have 28 double-hung windows - I've rebuilt maybe half of them - lots, lots, lots of work.
Old December 4th, 2022, 01:16 PM
Running On Empty

The only time I go to Walmart is to purchase items in bulk - e.g. paper towels, TP, dishwasher detergent, washing machine detergent, sponges, rags, towels, Kleenex, toilet bowl cleaner, Lysol, toothpaste, etc. - stuff like that. I may pickup some other items while there but I spend as little time as I can inside the store. I NEVER get in line for a cashier checkout in any store if they have self checkout. The Walmart near me has ~10 self checkouts so I can out the door rather quickly. There are some spectacular creatures (extant humans) walking about at Walmart.
Old December 4th, 2022, 01:42 PM
Running On Empty

John - What type building you throwing up - metal or wood? When I built my 40'x30' man-cave I got some quotes both ways based on building design. I finally ordered the building on-line. Great company good product(s). They asked all the basic questions, number/location of overhead doors, windows, doors, height, etc. Tossed it into their CAD program then sent it out via tractor trailer combination. I had to offload it and assemble. Hired a local (friend) contractor for assembly - I did a fair amount of work myself. Separate contractor to pour the concrete pad. The only items I purchased outside of the company were the name brand Overhead Garage doors themselves. I actually had some fun determining the size/type of building using their on-line tool(s). They also have some which are on-sale - probably from sales which went sour or whatever.

https://www.olympiabuildings.com/
Old December 4th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

The building I tossed up...

Old December 4th, 2022, 02:13 PM

Norm Very nice. Are those water oaks?
Old December 4th, 2022, 02:29 PM

Chris, I may become a Michigan fan, You have no idear how it is to live with UGA bulldogs. No offense to Monty BUT they have the easiest schedule and think they walk on water
Old December 4th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm Very nice. Are those water oaks?
Jim - No. Willow Oaks.
Old December 4th, 2022, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I may become a Michigan fan, You have no idear how it is to live with UGA bulldogs. No offense to Monty BUT they have the easiest schedule and think they walk on water
Jim - Thanks, but I'm guessing you'd probably say the same about my craziness about Michigan football if you were around me all the time. I think Ohio State will give Georgia all they can handle, and won't be surprised if Ohio State beats them. I think any of the teams in the top 5 or 6 can beat any of the others on any given day, it's just a matter of which team gets a few breaks like turnovers or big plays. It should be an interesting playoff, I'd love to see a Michigan vs. Georgia Championship Game.
Old December 4th, 2022, 03:15 PM
Always room for one more

Norm did you have to plan for the man cave to sit up against the garage or did you do a custom cut when you put it up?

I'm sure I told this story before. There was a girl at the Awful house who loved, loved the Bulldogs. Anyone mentioned Tech and she'd go crazy. One day she asked me, the guy who could give two hoots about sports, which team I liked. I said, I like the team with the car. She started in on a rant and said why do you like them? I said, because they have a car. The look on her face was priceless. She said, well, I can't argue with that.

Old December 4th, 2022, 03:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm did you have to plan for the man cave to sit up against the garage or did you do a custom cut when you put it up?
Mike - Good question. We did a custom cut. I removed the back-side of the original free-standing garage and attached it to the new building.

EDIT: I kind of messed up that response. I did plan on the location for the new man-cave. It was always my intention to attach the man-cave to the old (original) garage.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 4th, 2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old December 4th, 2022, 03:33 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - A couple older pictures you can see where the new man-cave buttresses to the old (original) stand-alone garage. The one picture should look familiar as it was the area I replaced because my friend (contractor) didn't align the shingle squares correctly (as Ray pointed out). You can see the "opening" I created between the two buildings & my old Antibody - pictures are basically for perspective.

Old December 4th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Running On Empty

I forgot the picture of Antibody...

Old December 4th, 2022, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

That wood burning stove is gone - I got tired of it after four years.
Old December 4th, 2022, 03:55 PM

Damn nice shop, Norm.
Yeah it's funny, I, like Mike, don't give a hoot about sports, I also don't care about hunting. My wife loves both those things. It gets really old explaining to people why I don't know things about U of M or MSU, etc. And, I, as you guys, love cars. I guess I am a freak, ahh too late to change- don't want to anyway.....
Old December 4th, 2022, 04:00 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks, Greg.
Old December 4th, 2022, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That wood burning stove is gone - I got tired of it after four years.
Very nice garage and man cave Norm, I'm jealous! After 17-yrs of buying/hauling, splitting, and toting wood to feed a large double door Carolina wood stove at my old house, I was definitely not disappointed to get away from it (and other things) when I got divorced. Used to burn it 24/7 in the winter until I had to shut it down to clean out the ashes. Would go through 4 to 5-cords of wood per season. Probably took 5-years off my life tending that damn thing, I couldn't do it now, nor would I want to!
Old December 4th, 2022, 04:51 PM

1/2 a Roast Chicken, 5 cheese blend homemade mac & cheese, and peas for dinner! Yum, my gal sure can cook!
Old December 4th, 2022, 07:06 PM

Norm, I was wondering why the XL door. Now I know [boat]
Old December 4th, 2022, 07:16 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Exactly.
Old December 4th, 2022, 07:32 PM

Norm 2 happiest days of your life, when you buy a boat and when you get rid of it
Old December 4th, 2022, 07:44 PM
Running On Empty

I’ve owned eight large holes in the water.
Old December 4th, 2022, 08:00 PM

Mike, Technics is often good stuff. Sometimes, it's not. It depends on what it is, like turntable, or receiver, or CD player, when it was made and what model, etc, etc. Sort of like Oldsmobile. When you get to it, send me a list of models and some pictures and I can help find good homes for the stuff.

Norm, I am thinking a metal building. L shaped buildings do not lend themselves to the cheap wood polebarn method favored around here. I'll probably general contractor it and hire out the building and the assembly, then separately hire the concrete and power and anything else. I would like a taller door in the middle of the main section in case I get a camper.

I would like a wood stove in the basement for aux and backup heat, but only to be used several times a year.

Greg, I do not care for sports either. While I enjoyed hunting with my dad, I do not enjoy hunting by myself near as much. He is, at nearly 78, pretty much done with hunting, I think. We did the last great hunt in 2020 and took everything home from the lease he had been on. I cut up 4 deer one day on that hunt.

Chris, now that's a half a chicken, there.

Old December 4th, 2022, 08:02 PM

Addendum: my only boat is my catamaran, and it is as big of a financial hole in the water as the water it displaces (not much). Maybe if I ever get married, and she wants a power boat, I'll get one.
Old December 5th, 2022, 01:08 AM

John, Why not just find someone you hate and buy her a house. You nay have not gotten the word If it flies, floats or formicates, its cheaper to rent
Old December 5th, 2022, 04:23 AM

Norm, I've only had 5 This one was one of my favorites
stock pic
Old December 5th, 2022, 05:06 AM

Welsh rarebit on toast