The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2023, 10:34 AM
Running On Empty

That was quick - upper SW is non-functional.
Old March 15th, 2023, 10:41 AM
Running On Empty

New microwave of same model # = $225 vs. new switch of same model # = $8.50
Time for ice cream.
Old March 15th, 2023, 10:50 AM
Running On Empty

WARNING: Ridiculously mundane diatribe to follow.
Remember (mostly days gone by) when you purchased electronic testing equipment which ran on a battery & you forgot to turn the device OFF? You open the battery compartment to find the entire testing device is now completely useless as the battery burst or corroded everything. I did not leave my DMM turned to ON (during storage) it was turned to OFF, but many years ago many devices did not have a self turn OFF function (i.e. when not in use for 10' or so). I have a fair number of handheld testing devices both AC & DC & both (AC/DC), etc. including other handheld devices. So nice they have now have just that tiny little chip which senses non-use and automatically turns the device to OFF.
Old March 15th, 2023, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Kenneth - That's an interesting brew, not just from the connection to the Vanilla Ice-cream French Toast.
The Bastard series is a Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy style with several special varieties.
Dirty Bastard is the a basic Scotch Ale.
Backwoods Bastard is a barrel aged version.
This is the first time I’ve seen the French Toast version.
Old March 15th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Norm,
some batteries leak more often than others, no matter if the instrument is left on or turned off. I can’t recall which ones right off, but I saw online one was really bad and incurred a new name. Either Everleak or Duraleak. Wish I could remember which it was.
Old March 15th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I believe you're on to something there. I've never tested certain batteries but I'll bet some are far more prone to leaking - I like the misnomers Everleak or Duraleak.
Old March 15th, 2023, 11:56 AM

Duracell is much worse than energizer.

Dead batteries leak.
Old March 15th, 2023, 01:17 PM

Not a big fan of corn beef n cabbage, despite my Irish blood. Founders was founded in G.R., sold a couple of years ago to one of the name brand breweries, don't recall which one off hand. Easy to find around here, but generally to hoppy for me. Chicken livers when cooked with gizzards, never bought and cooked seperately.
Old March 15th, 2023, 01:42 PM

The contractor is really moving out on this place. I couldn't believe they were already shooting concrete early this morning!
Old March 15th, 2023, 03:32 PM
Always room for one more

Chris if they have any extra mix maybe they can pour you a driveway into the back yard.

Left work about 220, robot still broke. Must be more than just the pump.

So I put the dogmobile up for sale on the internet a month ago. A guy comes to see it today, and he drove up in one just like it. We settled on a price and he wanted the title. I assumed he had the money in his pocket. Nope. He says, do you do Zelle or Cashapp? I said no cash money is fine. Uh. So I wonder if he expected me to give him the title anyway, then he tells me he can't take it now, it would be about a week. I said that's fine, lets just do the transaction all at once. So he said he'd come back tomorrow with the cash. Not sure he understood what I was saying about "all at once." He wasn't very bright.

Beautiful out. It's cool but I don't have my jacket. It will be cold when I go home at 8 without my jacket. Good thing the truck has heat.

Old March 15th, 2023, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris if they have any extra mix maybe they can pour you a driveway into the back yard.
Mike - Wish I had enough Lot to add onto my garage! If I did, I'd use any extra concrete for more driveway and extra garage floor!

Good luck getting the Dogmobile deal done. Ya just never know with those types???
Old March 15th, 2023, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Not a big fan of corn beef n cabbage, despite my Irish blood.
As noted above, the Irish in Ireland didn’t eat corned beef. It’s a USA thing.
Old March 15th, 2023, 06:28 PM

My Surname, Nixon, is of Scottish descent. It is one of the primary Surnames of the Scottish inhabitants of the Scotland/England border region from the 13th - 17th centuries. These inhabitants were also known as the "Border Reivers", with "Reveirs" translating to Raiders. Their primary allegiance was to family or clan over government. Most were organized into small groups under a local Warlord, making a living raiding and pillaging into England, although they were not adverse to raiding their own countryman. Come to think of it, this is a pretty apropos description of my Dad's side of the family! Despite my Scottish heritage I never have, or ever will, know the taste of Haggis!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 15th, 2023 at 06:50 PM.
Old March 15th, 2023, 06:42 PM
Running On Empty

I take exception to the notion the Irish didn't eat corned beef & it's a USA thing. The Irish did in fact eat corned beef and the Irish were the largest industrial country to export corned beef. The Irish used vast quantities of salt to cure their beef. The term "corned" is derived from the fact they used rock salt to cure the beef. The Irish fed the vast British population (as well as themselves) w/ corned beef. Many sources are replete w/ citations demonstrating the production of corned beef in Ireland. There were many civilizations which produced corned beef, as well as many other types of corned meat products.
Old March 15th, 2023, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I take exception to the notion the Irish didn't eat corned beef & it's a USA thing. The Irish did in fact eat corned beef and the Irish were the largest industrial country to export corned beef.
Norm, you are correct about the exportation, but incorrect about the consumption. The British used the fertile Irish lands for cattle, canned the beef, and shipped it to their Royal Navy and ground troops in their foreign territories. The Irish themselves got no beef. They were pushed off their fertile lands by the British occupiers and forced to grow potatoes, which were about the only thing that would grow in the "less fertile" lands that they were relegated to.

I learned this from the Irish Historical Society.
Old March 15th, 2023, 07:00 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth fair enough - I realize in earlier times (prior to say ~16th-17th century) the Irish didn't really eat much of any beef if I recall the history and in recent readings. Can't recall - think beef was reserved for the wealthy or there may have been a religious connotation, perhaps. None-the-less, corned beef is not a USA thing. If anything, it's usage & consumption would have been a British thing.
Old March 15th, 2023, 07:25 PM

My point was the idea that corned beef was originally an Irish staple is inaccurate; the Irish people started eating it only after immigrating to the US where beef was available to them. It was not available to them in Ireland due to the British monopoly.
Old March 16th, 2023, 02:41 AM

Chris, I'm not sure but I believe the concrete has to cure before they back fill unless they add floor framing Mike just tell the guy CIFNFA Cash in fist no fooling around
Old March 16th, 2023, 04:15 AM

Hi guys, I just got our room for the Nats in Dayton in August. I hope you guys can come! I know it's quite a ways for Mike and Jim around Atlanta, quite a ways for Norm. John (Koda) you Indiana?? not too bad if so, Chris not too bad from Saint Louis.... Dan, pretty close, Ken- a long ways but you would enjoy getting away from the heat-( Well at least somewhat). I don't really know your guy's cars but I think Ken's and Norm's Cutlasses are good road cars. And even if you can't bring a Olds, come anyway. John- Bring the van or Monte, why not? Just can't park in the show lot. Well I am trying to recruit !!! Think about it guys!!
Old March 16th, 2023, 04:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Pretty out but cold as a mother. Gonna warm up a little, it has to because rain is coming.

Robot still broke. This is the last day of 5S. This is the dumbest of the dumb. The bolts that hold the wheel halfs together are pre-greased with anti-seize and put in these buckets on a big table the hardware guys work around. Needless to say they wear gloves and get all greasy and everything they touch gets greasy, ie the outsides of the buckets and the tables. The 5S guy said to clean the grease off the buckets and the tables. I guess he doesn't think these things will get greasy again THE NEXT TIME they are touched. What a colossal waste of time and money.

My Dad's side of the family is Irish. None of them really exhibited any stereotypical behaviors of the Irish. Mom's side of the family is Swedish. Mom likes corned beef and cabbage but I don't think Dad did. I don't believe I've ever had it. The only Irish in me is getting a mint milkshake at McDonald's over St Patrick's Day.

So we'll see if that guy shows up again this afternoon. Luckily it will be cold through the weekend, so I still hold out hopes that I can get my switch replaced.

Have a good Thursday everyone.

Old March 16th, 2023, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I'm not sure but I believe the concrete has to cure before they back fill unless they add floor framing Mike just tell the guy CIFNFA Cash in fist no fooling around
Jim - I believe all that was poured yesterday were the perimeter footings, and I believe you're correct, those need to cure before they pour the basement walls. They dropped off (in bundles) the forms for the basement walls this morning within the interior of the basement area, but I don't think they'll be erecting the forms today because those footings have to cure, and we're supposed to get rain all day and into the evening. They'll probably have to pump and do some re-excavating before they can erect the forms.
Old March 16th, 2023, 07:40 AM

Booked my rooms yesterday; cant wait! First nationals!! Looking froward to meeting so many folks and seeing so many cars!

Happy Friday Eve and let the Madness begin!

Old March 16th, 2023, 07:41 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys, I just got our room for the Nats in Dayton in August. I hope you guys can come! I know it's quite a ways for Mike and Jim around Atlanta, quite a ways for Norm. John (Koda) you Indiana?? not too bad if so, Chris not too bad from Saint Louis.... Dan, pretty close, Ken- a long ways but you would enjoy getting away from the heat-( Well at least somewhat). I don't really know your guy's cars but I think Ken's and Norm's Cutlasses are good road cars. And even if you can't bring a Olds, come anyway. John- Bring the van or Monte, why not? Just can't park in the show lot. Well I am trying to recruit !!! Think about it guys!!
Greg - Appreciate your recruiting efforts. I'd have no issues driving the '71 CS if it weren't for the amount of time involved. I have numerous golf events scheduled in August which take priority. I used to attend many Indian Motorcycle events around the country each year when I was riding more often and I always enjoyed the camaraderie.
Old March 16th, 2023, 07:57 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jim - I believe all that was poured yesterday were the perimeter footings, and I believe you're correct, those need to cure before they pour the basement walls. They dropped off (in bundles) the forms for the basement walls this morning within the interior of the basement area, but I don't think they'll be erecting the forms today because those footings have to cure, and we're supposed to get rain all day and into the evening. They'll probably have to pump and do some re-excavating before they can erect the forms.
I set forms & poured concrete walls three summers during college - very likely the same style/type forms they dropped into the "hole" (inside perimeter) of the home. You can begin setting forms the following day (after pouring footings). Depending on # of laborers, it's going to take several days to erect/set the wall forms. A complete cure (relative to compressive strength) of the footings would require ~28 days (4 weeks). In general: 3 days = 40%; 7 days = 70%; 14 days = 90%; 28 days = 100%. Generally, you can pour walls somewhere around 7-14 days after pouring footings. There 'are' certain factors (weight of building, size of exterior walls versus interior walls, concrete mix (compressive strength), size of footings, etc. Nice to see them moving right along.
Old March 16th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Running On Empty

CIFNFA
You betchya!
Old March 16th, 2023, 08:50 AM
Always room for one more

It looks like plant maintenance just fled. There are latex gloves strewn about, bits of blue suits, some tools, like they up and took off. Maybe they did, this has been a daunting task. My wall guy is getting wheels from the other three robot guys, so progress continues.

Greg if they'd only have that show a couple weeks earlier I could kill two birds with one stone. I'll be in Celina the end of July for the Amphicar shindig. Celina is maybe an hour due north of Dayton, in fact one year I flew into Dayton and rented a car to go to Celina. I went to the OCA National in 1987 in Lansing. Had a good time.

Ug lunch is over, but the day seems like it's dragging on. Two and a half hours only.

Old March 16th, 2023, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I set forms & poured concrete walls three summers during college - very likely the same style/type forms they dropped into the "hole" (inside perimeter) of the home. You can begin setting forms the following day (after pouring footings).

Norm was spot on, they're over there setting forms right now. Haven't got as much rain yet as they were calling for, and what we have got has been light. The workers pounding in the pins to connect the forms is actually louder and more annoying than the large excavator was!

Old March 16th, 2023, 11:05 AM

Cjhris, Around these parts your view would be like looking over the wall at the Alamo only with alot of loud music
Old March 16th, 2023, 11:31 AM

Cjhris, Around these parts your view would be like looking over the wall at the Alamo only with alot of loud music
Roger that, not so much here.
Old March 16th, 2023, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I would not bring either of those cars, one is really hard to drive long distances, and the other I would worry about theft. Would worry about theft bringing the H/O, too. What's the OCA do for security? The H/OCA hires security; we watched them run off some tools who were sneaking onto the patrolled area. They ran them off, and didn't chase after them when they flipped the bird while leaving, even though they probably deserved to be buggered with a nightstick for their disrespect.
Old March 16th, 2023, 01:19 PM
Running On Empty

A really good deterrent for those snooping POS’s is to take a picture of them. They don’t like that so much.
Old March 16th, 2023, 02:07 PM

None of them really exhibited any stereotypical behaviors of the Irish.
My dad's side was German and Irish. Beer. The Germans made it, and the Irish drank it, sometimes a little too much. When we took the S.S. Milwaukee Clipper to Wisconsin in around '67-'68, we of course went ashore in Milwaukee, and about every 100' there was a bar with a P.B.R. sign hanging out front. Dear 'ole dad thought he was in heaven. Mom's side was Scot-Irish, don't know much there 'cept that my great grand parents came down from Canada sometime in the late 1800's. I never drank green beer. Maybe I'll grab a Killian's tomorrrow.
Old March 16th, 2023, 03:09 PM

My dad's side was German and Irish.
Same as my Dad.

Beer. The Germans made it, and the Irish drank it, sometimes a little too much.
​​​​​​​Same as me.
Old March 17th, 2023, 02:08 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It's the typical early Friday. Eh, I get out earlier than normal and get to sit with my friends at the Awful house for a little while. Good start to the day. My robot is still broke.

You know what burns my hide more than anything? Sitting at a red light at 3am when there are no other cars around. Why the hell don't the lights flash red and yellow after 10pm? Sometimes I can go through them, but there's a new sheriff in town and his deputies hide by the lights and will write you a ticket, even at 3am. Infuriating.

Guy actually showed up yesterday with cash for the dogmobile. He said he'll come get it this weekend. He's got the title and the key. I wanted him to leave the key with me in case I needed to move it. He said he was going to keep it in case he came and I wasn't there. I said, you don't want to be at my house when I'm not there, someone is liable to call the cops on you. Eh, it hasn't moved in how many months? It will be okay for a few more days.

So Mom wants to come to my house after work to do laundry. Won't that be fun. That means while she's waiting on the machine she'll be looking around and tell me all the things I need to do at my house. That will then remind her of all the things I need to do at her house. So I'll get to hear about it all this weekend.

Things are picking up. Hope everyone has a good Friday.

Old March 17th, 2023, 05:42 AM

Headed norte
Old March 17th, 2023, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Guy actually showed up yesterday with cash for the dogmobile. He said he'll come get it this weekend. He's got the title and the key.
Mike - Glad you got the deal done on the dogmobile! OK, when are you gonna tell us what you did to the robot???
Old March 17th, 2023, 06:01 AM

Happy Saint Patrick's day
Old March 17th, 2023, 06:44 AM

Good morning guys,

Jim - Safe travels norte, and Happy St. Patrick's to you too, and to everyone else!

Cold this morning, 30° at 0800, and will be even colder the next 3-days with overnight lows around 20° each morning, and a high of only 35° tomorrow. I am certainly hoping this is Winter's last hurrah.

Maggie got me up at 0500 needing to go out, and then it didn't seem like I was back to sleep for more than a few minutes when the construction crew began pounding on the forms at 0700. I gave up and got up. Monty gave up too and came out to the couch with me. It's 0830 now and the Queen and Princess are still getting their beauty sleep.

No big plans for the weekend other than watching some March Madness, which I always enjoy. I watched parts of several games yesterday and there were some big 1st round upsets. The 2nd half of the 1st round will be played today and Michigan State plays at 1100 CST and I plan to watch all of their game. I don't think they'll get very far this year, they're down from the caliber of team they usually have.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend!
Old March 17th, 2023, 07:45 AM

Old March 17th, 2023, 12:12 PM
Running On Empty

Beef brisket [not corned beef] (slow cooked 13 hours), baked red cabbage, twice baked spuds & fresh warm out of the oven Irish Soda Bread.