The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ah ha ha ha ha,

Clint - take it the flip side too. If you have to ask why employees drink, you've prolly had one of 'those' employers....Of course I fully understand what you're saying. There was a news commentary just yesterday about how (especially new and young) employees don't think they actually need to show up except when they want, should be paid for absences, think it's unrealistic to set deadlines, and are shocked to find out they are expected to actually produce something. Sounds like that editorial is right up your alley.

Scot - check this site and scroll down to "Oldsmobile". Does anything on the right side 'look familiar'? They stole it from Ken without asking IIRC. the dangers of posting stuff on a public domain http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm EDIT: once you're there, clik fibreglass parts cat and then scroll down

Sannnnddddyyyyyyy??? You up? Feel any better? I hope you do. See? This was zactly what I said to you in my previous "Dr. Allan R" message that some people are born with these types of issues. Kay, now Dr. Jamesbo and I have done said our piece.

Mike - just curious since Jamesbo brought up the 'perfect attendance' thing at Awful House. What makes it so special? Must be the good looking waitress?

Last edited by Allan R; June 13th, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Ahh, I see said the blind man. Yup that's Ken's car alright. Nice hoods at a reasonable price too.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Oh cool thanks Allan, I have never heard of VFN, but yes it looks awesome. As a matter of fact his car has to be the best looking one from that era IMO.
Thanks Scott. What are we talking about. I didn't see any lead up to this? Our website has a picture of my car that can be expanded a few times (basically an enlarged avatar...better have that looked at.)

Sorry Allan... that nice "fix" on my driveway was mostly my picture altering skills....
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ah ha ha ha ha,

Scot - check this site and scroll down to "Oldsmobile". Does anything on the right side 'look familiar'? They stole it from Ken without asking IIRC. the dangers of posting stuff on a public domain http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm EDIT: once you're there, clik fibreglass parts cat and then scroll down

Oh, I see. Actually VFN didn't steal these. Phoenix Graphix stole the rear shot of my car from Stencils & Stripes' site and then coloured the car green (you can see the blue reflection in the bumper). Cest la vie.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Ken - Well at least it'll be nice when all said and done. And the kids can ride their bikes without being in the road.

I think that downspout has seen better days in pic #4

On a lighter note... Was your car featured in Popular Hot Rodding or similar magazine around the late 70's? The reason I as is because I was browsing some old JWO issues that were from that era and someone wrote in about a feature in a magazine that a '76 Cutlass had a Ram Air hood and was asking if the hood was an option. Anyway what's the story on your hood? I mean is it a custom job or aftermarket? Enquiring minds want to know I'd imagine you've answered that question some 20 million times, but somehow I've managed to miss it.
Ken that post was an answer to my question yesterday in the same post as the downspout reference. But apparently they have your car in their website ad here
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Ken I also asked about a reference to a '76 Cutlass mentioned in an early 80's JWO and was wondering if your car was featured in a Popular Hotrodding magazine in the late 70's
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 442much
Sorry Allan... that nice "fix" on my driveway was mostly my picture altering skills....
Say what? You photo shopped yourself a new driveway???? Next you're gonna photo shop a blue 76 442 into the driveway and say it's yours too ....
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Always room for one more

Evening everyone.

Woudn't you know it. Thunder has to start up just as I'm getting ready to leave for work. My dogs will be beside themselves. And they'll tear something up. Don't know what, but it will be something. I tried building them a giant dog jail, they tore it up.

Allan- my buddy works at the Awful house that I go to; I go there to see him. No, there is no hot waitress, but some of them actually have all their teeth. It's like Cheers in there, everyone knows everyone else, and if someone comes in and disrupts someone's routine, they get told about it. I don't go there every day, maybe a couple times a week. I don't know why Jamesbo is putting up such a fuss. If he wants scattered and smothered, there's only about 25 Awful houses in every neighborhood.

Saw a Blue Vista Custom Cruiser in the next town over today. A buck fifty four on the clock and a little beat up, but they only want 799 for it. Boy that's hard to turn down. My only saving grace here is I can't go see it until the weekend, and maybe it will be sold by then.

Well I guess I better figure something out with these dogs and then get to work. It was supposed to be nice until next week, don't know where this thunder is coming from. Hope everyone has a nice evening. Hope Sandy is feeling better.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Ken I also asked about a reference to a '76 Cutlass mentioned in an early 80's JWO and was wondering if your car was featured in a Popular Hotrodding magazine in the late 70's
Scott, my 442 was never in an American magazine, however it was in Canadian Classics magazine in May 2000. I don't think the mag is still around. Besides, nobody really likes this body style. Muscle Car Review has a 6 cyl Tempest in their mag, but they would never consider a 1976 with a factory 455 from 1974-76.

I like it because it's different, but I've had a few people say to me that I should sell it and get a 68-72. I may get a 68-72, (because I like them too) but not by selling my car. I bought this car in 1979 and picked the Olds because everyone had a Camaro or Firebird. I have Firestone Indy 500 tires because most run BFG.

The car was in JWO a few times and recently (Nov 2009 or 10) probably due to the fact that Brad Bishop has a 77 442. That car is on the Phoenix Graphics website and it's a beaut.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM

Say what? You photo shopped yourself a new driveway???? Next you're gonna photo shop a blue 76 442 into the driveway and say it's yours too ....
I'll do a different colour...Canadian colours............

Attachment 175898
Old June 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey man, you also changed houses and fences...Aaaccck! No special VFN hood? That's a clone......
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Hey man, you also changed houses and fences...Aaaccck! No special VFN hood? That's a clone......
Picture of a super nice 76 on the 73-77 forum.
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:16 AM

Evening all, been busy and had to do a full reinstall on puter as I got a nice bit of crap transferred onto mine when I recovered the data off my friends corrupted hdd, not too happy about that but thems the brakes

Sorry about your nephew Scot, should never have to bury your kids

Where are you Sandy? How did the procedure go? Hope all went well.

How can someone with 4 days off a week have no spare time I just don't understand it most days.

I did find some today to go out with the work mates and have a round of golf. Been around 8 months since I was last out and I didn't go too bad so you gotta be happy with that.

Well talk to you all later

Adrian
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:34 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter pretty but hot one today

Adrian, I wish I was down dare to play sum golf wit cha.

Allen, Mike's Right. De Awful House is kinda like a bar dat sells grits insted of beer.

Clint, Dat's why I do my onw thing now. I had an office in Hotlanta fer 35 years an all I did was baby sit neurotic employees. One day I heared 2 "ladies" scream'in at one anutter. Turned out de were argu'in over a frigg'in park'in space.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:35 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Morning All

Sandy i hope your feeling better today

Adrian thanks and you are 100% right, we should never have to bury our children.

Jamesbo lets see, I guess all you have is the Vista and the drop top left in your stable now?

Well time for another cup of mud Yall have a great day

Scot
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:36 AM
CQR

Good to hear from Adrian. Hope you can get a breather and relax a little soon.

Jamesbo. I had a scope once. Didn't care for it much at all. Actually it was 2 days before my wedding . The worst part I think was the fact that a cute little nurse had to do the 'prep' didn't show it any kind of appreciation, just injected some numbing agent folded it over and put a big metal 'clothes pin' like clamp on it. Oh the humility!

Mike thanks for the compliments. Hope the dogs can relax a little.

Sandy, Hope your starting to feel a little better.

Allan, Today will be a better day, The problem I've been dealing with at the shop gave his notice yesterday. Nice guy, but not that great of a wrench.

Scot, Since you are all practiced up How about coming over and doing some of m yard work?

The wife found the donkey in the turkey coop yesterday chowing down on the henscratch. Gonna head over to the western slope on Saturday to pick up a tranny for the Mighty hoopdee. Still looking for a car for the kid, looked at a sentra SE-r lastnight, a/c, airbag, and cruise didn't work, and the clutch stank after driving it. so. tomorrow maybe we'll go look at a civic.

Have a great thursday everyone!
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:44 AM

Scot, Yep, I'm down from my all time high of 8 69 442s to de drop top and de Vista. It's kinda like ween'in yourself off Heroin.

I'm sure you've been to one of dem "estate " auctions whar de clear out a farm house and sell Everything. Once, I bought 25 rabbit boxes, 2 ringer washer and 30 105 ammo crates.

Well one day it occurred to me when I was lugg'in home my 4th or 5th Gee Wizz.

All des hanes and plows and plunder just moves around from one barn to anutter.
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:00 AM
"Car"mudgeon

I feel you Jamesbo, I'd be divorced if I brought home everything I wanted to buy

Thanks but no thanks Clint, I've got four yards to mow that's quite enough
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

I survived another night. I'm really tired of waking up crying, praying this pain will go away. I'd think by now it would be subsiding some. I can barely walk, all bent over. And getting up or sitting down is painful as hell. The pain is in one area on my belly, by the pelvis bone. Just feels like there's a twisting knife in there. I can't breathe in very deep or it hurts.

I tried to call the doc a while ago, but they weren't in yet. I don't know what he did in there, but I sure don't like it.....

Its sunny here and cool this morning. Larry called me off work again. I have to go tomorrow, though. This will pretty much wipe out my sick days. Now I'll have to use vacation days, which I didn't want to do!!

Well you all have a great day. I'll check in later.
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Gee Sandy, I hopes ya get to feel'in better. I'll say sum incantations over a candle fer ya.
Old June 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy Turdsday Olds Peoples.

Actually its quite beautiful here today. Took the car back for the wheel balance again. They didn't argue - just did it over. Gonna take it on the hiway later to see if they did it right. Could be the tape on weights were off just a hair the first time? We'll see.

Went for breakfast at "wonderful house" not awful house here. Met up with about a doz of my old buddies from work and chewed da fat for coupla hours. It was a fun time catching up on everything. Same ol same ol, just different circumstances......

Clint - glad your problems walking. I'm glad my problem's moving. Only difference is my problem is an A-wipe and will prolly alwasys be one. Good luck with the car search.

Jamesbo - HEY! ah knows wut Grits is! Usta havem for brekkie when I lived down in Datyon. Up here we calls em 'porridge' or 'creem o' wheat' or 'rolled oats'. Whatever makes it sound better dan it is. Oh, an plenty o brown sugar and cream.....

Sandy - my dear. I can feel your pain through the keyboard. Sort of like sympathetic preggo pains or something. Ever since my son was born.... funny bout that. I think they did something that needs a revisit or xray. Ted had a laproscope and surgery for a stent done through his wrist ( Yeah, I know it's not the same part of the body). He says the entry site is a 'bit tender' but that's all. That makes me suspicious that they did something they shouldn't have. I would gladly donate you some of my 'forever vacation' days if it would do any good. Focus on getting better. Very sorry to hear you're still in pain.

Ken - don't know if I'll be bringing my car to the show this year. Still got lots to do to make it roadworthy. We'll see. If I can't take it, I will still be coming down to STS with the guys at the Olds show in July. I'll bring my camera and still have a great time. I already put in a reservation for blue sky and 21° weather, just a small breeze too.

Scot - only 4 yards to mow? That's a very small patch of grass. What does it work out to now.....4X4 yards =64 square feet? You need a goat or sumpin - not a lawnmower

In local news, one of the bus drivers I used to know is being sentenced for involuntary manslaughter today. He ran over a (jaywalking) pedestrian while turning his bus at a traffic light into the morning sun. I don't have all the facts, but this is not a guy who premeditates ***** like that. They place a higher standard of care on License class 2 up here, but with the mental suffering he has done already I can't see the courts being that harsh. There's prolly more to this story than what I know.
Old June 14th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Look what i just saw on my travels! ANOTHER BAMBOO CUTLASS IN MONTREAL, it's not a 72, but it's still a twin!

Old June 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gee Tony,
Hate to say this, but it's not Bamboo (or should I say mamboo). In 69 that color is called 'saffron' - PNT code 40. What a lovely car! You get a chance to talk with it's owner? Shoulda left a window note asking 'How much?"

Those wheels just don't work for it tho IMO.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:11 PM

Gee Tony,
Hate to say this, but it's not Bamboo (or should I say mamboo). In 69 that color is called 'saffron' - PNT code 40. What a lovely car! You get a chance to talk with it's owner? Shoulda left a window note asking 'How much?"

Those wheels just don't work for it tho IMO.
Looks real close though!

It was in front of one of those fancy hotels. No owner in sight, just the fancy bell boy in the top hat waiting to take peoples bags.

IMO, i think this car would look mean with dog-dish hubcaps. If i didnt already have SS3's i'd probably go that route.
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...and I needed a good laugh too...

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
IMO, i think this car would look mean with dog-dish hubcaps. If i didnt already have SS3's i'd probably go that route.
Except that it's a 69 and a vert it looks awfully like Brent Butt's Cutlass from the series "Corner Gas". I loved that show.
Not the greatest pic, but pretend Davis or Karin is chasing him..

1 1968 Saffron Cutlass with B(black vinyl) and DD hubcaps....

EDIT: Here's the gas station. The 68 is on the right side next to Leroys Omega. Hanks furd is to the left 'gettin fixed' as usual...

Last edited by Allan R; June 14th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old June 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
CQR

Hanks furd is to the left 'gettin fixed' as usual...
Attachment 175890
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hey everyone.

I'm not getting the sultry girl or the gas station. Must be some TV show I don't watch. I don't get the Mercedes cartoon, either. I must not be bright tonight.

Clint I think it was Allan that was complimenting your car. But let me go ahead and compliment you again. That's one sweet car. I might have told you it's the inspiration for me wanting to get a 67.

Sandy I hope today was better for you. Rest easy tonight.

Beautiful day today, and no pop-up shower tonight. The dogs did fine last night and we've been playing quite a bit this evening so they'll be tuckered and sleep well. Tuckered? I gotta get back up north.

Okay time for work. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more and it's the weekend.
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Mike, Check out de sheet of bills in de left hand of one of de guys in de cartoon.

Get it, got it, good
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM

Welp just got back from the transport department, got my bike changed over from a 2 seater to a 1 seater. That way I save half in rego instead of $410 a year rego it is $225 yay for me.

I would give you some of my sick leave if I could Sandy, have plenty to spare Hope you are feeling better real soon

Your welcome any time to come for a visit Jamesbo and have a round of golf or 2

Talk to ya'll later

Adrian
Old June 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Evening everyone,

Graeme phoned and asked if I would pick him up at school. Turns out his bus was in an accident and didn't show. So off I went. Took his learners permit so he could drive us shoppin and home. He's getting much better at handling the car. Today was his first real encounter with rush hour traffic. Some more practice and he'll feel more at ease. It was a real treat to see his confidence building. He's all tuckered out now - snoozing with his cat.

De shopping mart was having a heckuva sale on whole chickens. 4.97 each - no limit. So I bought 5 and put em in de freezer. We'll make em into some nice chicken soup and chicken salad sandwiches. (these are only 4 lb chickens - just the right size for us old geezers. Nuff for 2 geezer meals! Graeme could prolly eat one all by himself)

Mike, The show 'Corner Gas' is a Canadian sit com that was only supposed to air for 10 shows. Turned into about 8 seasons. Canadian humor but I think most of you would get it. Small town life in Saskatchewan with a cast of bumble heads. Actually very funny. Loved that they had 2 Oldsmobiles in it.

Clint - Aha! I saw her eyes move. They sort of said 'bite me ford boy'

Sandy - I'm praying that no news is good news.

Well the evening is upon us. Cow's headed this way travelling at impulse speed and supposed to remain in orbit for the night.

This thread is awfully quiet today....anyone else have trouble logging in this mawnin?

со вчать тэ чел воулд ю до иф тхис вас а сецрет цоммунияуэ фром тэ Кремлин анд ю вере тэ Цаптайн оф тэ Ред Оцтобер? И тхинк Сен Цоннеры воулд шить химселф иф хе чад то леарн тхис лангуаге.

Хаве а греат эвенинг Олдс пеопле. Год блесс, анд слеп тигхт.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM
"Car"mudgeon

WTF Allan are you speaking Russian now?
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:30 PM

со вчать тэ чел воулд ю до иф тхис вас а сецрет цоммунияуэ фром тэ Кремлин анд ю вере тэ Цаптайн оф тэ Ред Оцтобер? И тхинк Сен Цоннеры воулд шить химселф иф хе чад то леарн тхис лангуаге.

Хаве а греат эвенинг Олдс пеопле. Год блесс, анд слеп тигхт
, Allan, what the heck is that?
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hunt for Red October - it's one of my favorite shows.

Last line loosely means: Have a safe evening Olds Peoples. God Bless, and sleep tight.
Old June 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Ha I knew it was Russian, and you say "loosely" ?
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:58 PM

Copy and paste into google translate to get a pretty good idea of what it means
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

I'm still hanging in. Called that doctor's office yesterday asking about this pain and why it's not going away yet. He gave me a script for a nasal spray pain killer called Sprix. Of course this is something my insurance doesn't pay for, so it was $152 cash.
It burns like a bit*h in the nostrils - brings tears to the eyes. I used it once yesterday and again a few minutes ago. The pain is starting to fade some....

Brian called me last night to see how I was. He's bringing his daughter into the office today to help them, since Steve is off. Least of my worries, lol.

It's been such beautiful weather all week, and I couldn't get outside to enjoy it. Today is another beauty. I'm going to that show tomorrow, come hell or high water. I should be able to walk around slowly. Just won't be able to polish Teepo. Might have to have Lin do that for me, lol. My goal tomorrow is 'best stock'.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning. My couch is not the most comfortable thing to sleep on, lol, but it's lower than our bed, so I can get up and down easier. Every time I lift my right leg, I feel a 'pulling' or tightness inside that area that hurts.

Well gonna lay back down. You all have a good day.
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:04 AM

Mawn'in all

Geeze, Ya take a little nap an wake up to find de inmates have taken over de asylum.

WTF is wit dis Russian?

I don't believe, I've ever seen Sean Connery in a movie I didn't like. He looked a little goofie [as opposed to cool] stand'in on de beach in "The Longest Day"

But I was drug up watch'in him as de first James Bond, wit Ms. Galore.
Loved "Medicine Man", but my favorite is "A Bridge too Far."

Hey dat makes 2 movies from de same author. Cornelius Ryan wrote "The Longest Day," an "A Bridge too Far."

Sandy, I sure hope you're feel'in better. Let us know, We worry 'bout cha.

Mike, Ya jes missed out on sum home made biscuits wit sausage, Guess ya'll have to hit de Awful House once again dis Mawn'in.

Have a great weekend Olds friends.
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:15 AM
CQR

Mornin all.
Been having a hard time bowling lately, But had a pretty good series last night. B)

Sandy, It pains me so to see you in such discomfort, I sure hope the painkillers start doin their job. I hope you get back into shape here soon.

Mike, Allan's just bustin on the phords again, so I so I found the glare that I dont like to recieve.

Adrian, They base your registration on how many bodies they can hold?
Do they count the kid bungeed on the rack?

Хаве а греат эвенинг Олдс пеопле. Год блесс, анд слеп тигхт
The last time I clicked on writing like that, it sent me to a place where no-one had any clothes on and they were doing naughty things to each other. Then the screen went blank and I had to take the puter to the store to get it fixed so it would turn on again.

I would have to rate one of my fav Connery films as "The Man Who Would Be King" I really like the theme music. Minstrel boy, IIRC.

Speaking of old garages, I'm heading to work today, but won't be opening the shop. Can-am (Or BRP to you can-uks) bought my shop today to film a commercial for their little Spyder motorcycles, so I'll hang out in the back and put a heater core in the Olds.

Have a fine weekend Olds friends.
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:29 AM

That's basically it Clint. The rego price is around $50 bucks but the CTP is what gets ya. They count the bodies on the bike for the CTP and it doubles for 2 people. You can't get out of paying it either as it is calculated in the same bill

Good to hear you are feeling a little better Sandy, we are hoping you are all better real soon.