The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2022, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
No, but I need a heated car barn! With beer and a Scandinavian young lady bartender with flexible morals!
That sounds like a nice Christmas list, have you been a good boy this year? I'm sticking with my "Brown Eyed Girl", but sure wouldn't mind having the heated car barn stocked with lots of beer thrown my way!
Old November 12th, 2022, 09:29 PM

Spent all day on the H/OCA newsletter, so I deserve something, lol.

I read a thread about a 260 and it was inevitable called a boat anchor.

Boat anchor story. One time, my father and a friend who was not too fast on the uptake, I think it was a guy named Steve he went to high school with, were fishing on the lake upon which my dad had lakeshore. My dad had refurbed an anchor, and had not tied it onto the line yet. Steve, being helpful, as soon as my dad said this spot is good, heaved the anchor overboard without the line. So, after some commentary, they fished without an anchor. My grandfather visited a week or so later and brought a large magnet with him of his. My dad now has this magnet, and it is a family heirloom; I personally have used it to pan along the lakebed alongside our new dock 30 years ago to get dropped nails, of which it did a great job.

My grandfather, who had brought the magnet when he heard about the anchor, tied a heavy rope to said magnet, and instructed my dad to take him to the spot where they lost it. They did, and I believe they found the anchor and magnetized on with a clunk in about 5 seconds. Still have the anchor and the magnet.
Old November 13th, 2022, 03:30 AM

Neat story, John. Back in the 80's a friend put his small fishing boat in a lake and forgot to tighten the motor clamps. Yep, it came off and sank... still there as far as we know!
We got about 1 inch of snow this morning.
Old November 13th, 2022, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Neat story, John. Back in the 80's a friend put his small fishing boat in a lake and forgot to tighten the motor clamps. Yep, it came off and sank... still there as far as we know!
We got about 1 inch of snow this morning.
Well it's about time you got some snow!

In all the years my parents owned boats, and I owned boats, nothing as big as having a motor fall off ever happened. There is one thing that I think has probably happened to most boat owners at least once, and to me more than once, and that is backing your boat into the water and forgetting to put the drain plug in. Luckily in my case, I had a good bilge pump that automatically came on when the water got above a certain level, but we've all probably seen videos of boats starting to fill up, with weak or no bilge pump, and then the weight of the filled boat pulling the boat and the tow vehicle down the boat ramp into the lake. Now that would be a major bummer!
Old November 13th, 2022, 06:25 AM

Chris, If you had a Boston whaler you wouldn't have to worry yourself with mundane drain plugs
Old November 13th, 2022, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, If you had a Boston whaler you wouldn't have to worry yourself with mundane drain plugshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaNBKfQCze0
Jim - That is quite the advertisement! When my brother was a Field Officer in the Michigan DNR, his DNR issued boats were Boston Whalers, I'm assuming because the State wanted their Officers to have top of the line equipment. The DNR would allow private citizens to go out on patrol with the Officers if the citizen signed a waiver, and I went out with him several times. Those Bosfon Whalers are really, really nice boats. One of the ones he had, had two 200hp Honda's and the thing would really fly.
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:07 AM

Chris, My 18 foot has a small Honda 90 and it will go faster than I want to. When I was a kid, I learned to ski behind an aluminum Feathercraft with a might Johnson 25
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:20 AM

Chris, My 18 foot has a small Honda 90 and it will go faster than I want to. When I was a kid, I learned to ski behind an aluminum Feathercraft with a might Johnson 25
Ya, the two, 200hp Honda's were way overkill, but I think they intended for the Officer's boats to be able to run down almost anything else that might be out on the lake.

During the late 60's thru 70's my folks had a 16' or 17' (can't remember for sure) closed bow StarCraft aluminum runabout, with a 45hp Johnson, that's what my siblings and I learned to ski behind. Those 2-cycle Johnson's must have been really good motors because I never remember my Dad having a lick of trouble with that motor.
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:24 AM

Of course now for a mere 77 K you can get a six hundred mercury
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:51 AM

I've got a soft spot for Mercury. Hard to start, but, once running for the day, you had more power than advertised.
Old November 13th, 2022, 07:53 AM

Chris, If you had a Boston whaler you wouldn't have to worry yourself with mundane drain plugshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaNBKfQCze0
My 16' Boston Whaler with Honda 90. From four years ago. Got caught outside the South Padre Island Jetties in the gulf of Mexico. Bad weather rolled in real fast. Three foot +swells. Would not want to be in any other small boat. Honda 90 is a Civic 4 cylinder engine, turn on its end.

Old November 13th, 2022, 08:00 AM

Of course now for a mere 77 K you can get a six hundred mercury
That's nuts, way, way out of my league. When I had our cabin (my ex and kids still have it) on the Current River, I had an 18ft Alweld aluminum semi-v front, flat bottom jon boat with an older 85hp Evinrude with a jet pump lower unit. They say jet pumps lower your horsepower transfer by about a 1/3 vs. a prop, so that 85hp was more like 55hp. I bought that rig (boat, motor, and trailer) used for a total of about $3K, that's the league I was in. I sure wouldn't want to have a bunch of $'s tied up in any boat you're gonna run predominantly on the rivers around here because they're gonna get beat up, no matter how careful you are. You are gonna hit submerged logs from time to time, and run them up on gravel. Best to have a dependable beater and not have to worry about scratches and a small dent or two.
Old November 13th, 2022, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by HighwayStar 442
My 16' Boston Whaler with Honda 90. From four years ago. Got caught outside the South Padre Island Jetties in the gulf of Mexico. Bad weather rolled in real fast. Three foot +swells. Would not want to be in any other small boat. Honda 90 is a Civic 4 cylinder engine, turn on its end.
HighwayStar 442 - Awesome boat! Sounds like a great choice, I know if I was going to be venturing out into the "big water", I'd want to be in the best and safest vessel I could get!
Old November 13th, 2022, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
HighwayStar 442 - Awesome boat! Sounds like a great choice, I know if I was going to be venturing out into the "big water", I'd want to be in the best and safest vessel I could get!
X2 I love your Whaler FWIW I have a harpoon hung over my boat houses door If you're gonna have a Whaler ya need a harpoon
Old November 13th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Staying on boats, here is what you wanted to be seen in if you were one of the "beautiful people" running the rivers of southern Missouri or northern Arkansas, where I hung out during the late 80's - 2005. These boats, called Shoal Runners, are 20ft, semi-v front, flat bottom jon boats, with an inboard 350ci / 300hp GM crate engine and turbine jet pump. These pics are of a 2000 (year) model that's currently for sale in Arkansas, so it's 22-years old, and hey, they only want $20K for it, what a steal! The company that made these went out of business in 2010.

Old November 13th, 2022, 08:54 AM

Ive been trying for years to get Mike to part with one of his Dukws I think it would make lake Yard [shore[ art
Old November 13th, 2022, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Staying on boats, here is what you wanted to be seen in if you were one of the "beautiful people" running the rivers of southern Missouri or northern Arkansas, where I hung out during the late 80's - 2005. These boats, called Shoal Runners, are 20ft, semi-v front, flat bottom jon boats, with an inboard 350ci / 300hp GM crate engine and turbine jet pump. These pics are of a 2000 (year) model that's currently for sale in Arkansas, so it's 22-years old, and hey, they only want $20K for it, what a steal! The company that made these went out of business in 2010.

It's worth noting that that sort of hull design and size was typically rated for maybe 60 HP. 5 times that amount would be a blast.
Old November 13th, 2022, 11:11 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Fairly chilly here today but sunny. I think it's supposed to warm up this week, into the 50s. Fasten your seatbelts.

I'm not a boat person. I had a pontoon with a bad motor for awhile, but never did anything with it. Funny thing, I sold it to a friend of mine and when he moved he parked it at my shop and never came got it. So I guess I have a pontoon again. Now, going out on a lake in the car is a different story. Jamesbo I don't think even you have enough money to get one of those DUKWs seaworthy again. But any time you want to try, come get one.

Just got back from Walmart. I have to rest now but in a little while I'm gonna move stuff around. It hasn't rained in a couple days and the sun is out, maybe the truck won't sink too far into the front yard when I back up to the porch.

Okay. Full steam ahead, Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Old November 13th, 2022, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
It's worth noting that that sort of hull design and size was typically rated for maybe 60 HP. 5 times that amount would be a blast.
Ya, I didn't say it, but they were scary fast, the vast majority of the time way too fast for the conditions they were being driven under. Stock boats would go 55mph, and with just a few minor motor and jet mods would easily run +65mph.
Old November 13th, 2022, 12:17 PM
Running On Empty

Prior to purchasing my last (and final) boat in 2007 I nearly purchased a (used) Cessna 210 (Centurion). It was a toss-up - both are large holes in the water. One Hundred dollar aviation cheeseburgers (1970's) became thousand dollar cheeseburgers (2000's). I opted for a (new) 2007 C-Dory 26' cruiser. I really enjoyed that vessel (sold it in 2013). C-Dory boats are manufactured in the state of Washington - very seaworthy vessels. The Suzuki DF150 was amply sized for cruising the ICW & the Outer Banks. They had a C-Dory local type gathering just up the ICW from me fall of 2008. Too many years on me & too much maintenance to navigate boats any longer. Christened it Antibody & federally registered it therefore no state registration numbers required.

C-Dory Gathering

Old November 13th, 2022, 12:52 PM

Norm, Very nice boat, but as we all know, If it flies floats or fornicates its cheaper to rent
Old November 13th, 2022, 12:56 PM
Running On Empty

...If it flies floats or fornicates its cheaper to rent
Truth
Old November 13th, 2022, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Prior to purchasing my last (and final) boat in 2007 I nearly purchased a (used) Cessna 210 (Centurion). It was a toss-up - both are large holes in the water. One Hundred dollar aviation cheeseburgers (1970's) became thousand dollar cheeseburgers (2000's). I opted for a (new) 2007 C-Dory 26' cruiser. I really enjoyed that vessel (sold it in 2013). C-Dory boats are manufactured in the state of Washington - very seaworthy vessels. The Suzuki DF150 was amply sized for cruising the ICW & the Outer Banks. They had a C-Dory local type gathering just up the ICW from me fall of 2008. Too many years on me & too much maintenance to navigate boats any longer. Christened it Antibody & federally registered it therefore no state registration numbers required.

C-Dory Gathering
Norm - Very sharp! I don't know much at all about boats that large, but as big as it is, and with the enclosed cabin, I am assuming it had a small galley and head in it? Did you ever take it on any long voyages like down to Florida or the Bahamas?
Old November 13th, 2022, 01:14 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - It had a head, shower, galley, sleeping quarters, etc. I made two trips to Florida. It would easily have made a trip to the Bahamas (from Miami) but I had no reason to make the trip. I thought about going to Abaco but never did.
Old November 13th, 2022, 01:19 PM
Running On Empty

Watching "Where the Crawdads Sing"

A movie about a North Carolina Marsh Woman filmed completely in Louisiana.
Old November 13th, 2022, 02:28 PM

Norm, Very nice boat, but as we all know, If it flies floats or fornicates its cheaper to rent
Although I am bad on guns, cars, beer signs, and stereo equipment, I own no planes, no women, and my Hobie 16 is a fairly cheap watercraft.
Old November 13th, 2022, 02:37 PM
Running On Empty

I learned how to sail with a Hobie Cat 16
Old November 13th, 2022, 02:48 PM

Norm, If [when you reached Miami, ] you had turned east, you would have been in Bimini as soon as you crossed the gulf stream GREAT fishing
Old November 13th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I have been to Bimini, several times.
Old November 13th, 2022, 03:18 PM

I learned how to sail with a Hobie Cat 16
I bought the thing after learning how to sail one at my scout camp in 96. I kept it in my dad's back yard on the lake shore. As I started traveling for school, I took it apart, and he put up with the hulls on the back porch for close to 20 years. It's now on a trailer (not its original trailer) in my mother's drive-in basement, which amounts to a 7 car garage. I don't know when these are from, sometime 2010-2018. I do need to move it up here, but there's few lakes in SW Indiana, not like Central FL where you practically drive into them in any direction.

Old November 13th, 2022, 03:44 PM

Jim - I have been to Bimini, several times.
So you've played the ring game in Browns marina or the big game and fish club Did you ever meet my friend Bone Fish Rudy A dear friend of mines father kept a Hatteras in the Bertram yard in Miami, Wed fly to Miami, get a cab to the old DuPont plaza, and wake up as his fathers captain had us half way to Bimini, fish Saturday and Sunday go back to Miami sleep on the boat and catch the red eye back to Atlanta and be in the office my 9 On one very successful weekend we caught 2 Blues and 2 sails
Old November 13th, 2022, 04:16 PM

In my youth I [ mistakenly] bought into the logic that I needed to catch the biggest fish, kill the biggest buck . Now my goal is to not loose as many golf *****. I wish I had grown up sooner
Old November 13th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

A grade school, high school friends mother was an editor for a newspaper (Cardinal Free Press) in the Fox River Valley, Elgin, IL. As many newspapers are heavily funded by political groups, so was the Free Press, whose largest investor was Senator Charles Percy, Illinois. Senator Percy owned two large yachts birthed at the Phillips Marina, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Twice each year for one week each my friends Mom had Carte Blanche use of one of the two yachts. Between 1971-1973 I stayed on-board one of the yachts traveling between Bimini, Boca Raton, Miami & Ft. Lauderdale several times. I was mostly drunk, fishing, swimming & playing hide the sausage every day each week. Later in years while residing in Florida I travelled to Abaco Island several times as a friend managed flights in/out of Ft. Lauderdale for small travel groups. There are many fine Bertrams here in Beaufort. I recall the first time I was introduced to the Bertrams in Miami in 1971.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 13th, 2022 at 04:51 PM.
Old November 13th, 2022, 04:52 PM

Norm, Wasn't [at one time[ president and/or/ CEO of Bell and Howell?
Old November 13th, 2022, 04:55 PM
Running On Empty

Yes. Something like that.
Old November 13th, 2022, 04:58 PM
Running On Empty

I met him several times only for several hours. Once he came onboard his yacht in Lauderdale and we all ate at some fantastic restaurant. About 40-50 of us carte Blanche paid for by Percy. First time I ever had Escargot - delicious!!!!!
Old November 13th, 2022, 04:59 PM

My father knew him from that business [ not knew/ more like met[ its a shame he went into politics. He seemed like a nice guy
Old November 13th, 2022, 05:10 PM
Running On Empty

My recollections of him were very naive - I was between 20-22 years of age. He garnered a very respectable reputation among everyone. He was quite influential. I recall him as being a nice person.
Old November 13th, 2022, 05:19 PM
Running On Empty

John - Your pictures of the Hobie Cat bring back fond memories.
Old November 13th, 2022, 05:24 PM
Running On Empty

I first learned to tack on a Sunfish in Wisconsin lakes graduating to Hobie Cats (1966-1968). In grad school I taught sailing for a couple weeks one year on Hobie Cats in Ardmore, Oklahoma.