The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2023, 10:58 AM

I saw our old Vista at the homecoming, Talked to the new owner. He loves it, yep a few pangs of regret moved in, ah, whatever.......
Old July 7th, 2023, 01:02 PM

Mike,
The fish oil is supposed to help with joint functions as well, so it's a plus that Tiger is still taking it even if isn't helping with the itching.
Old July 7th, 2023, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Everyone romanticizes the old days, but there were a lot of people who lost limbs, and farm families had a huge amount of kids because they knew they would lose 50% to various childhood ailments that were deadly at the time.
Very true.
Old July 7th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Running On Empty

My grandma (Mom's mother) gave birth to 14 in Wisconsin. Ten survived to age of reproduction. She lost two sets of twins to typhoid fever & whooping cough (Pertusis).
Old July 7th, 2023, 08:37 PM

Well y’all know it’s hot here, but when I got home from work it was HOT in the house. Went out back and the AC was not running. Not a good thing when it’s 112+ and the forecast for the next 10 days is even hotter. Luckily I troubleshoot circuits for a living and was able to determine the run capacitor for the condenser fan was shot. Also luckily I am a pack rat and had snagged the caps from the old AC unit before it was carted off, so I had a replacement on hand. I swapped caps and got the system running again before the sun set. Probably saved myself a couple hundred dollars on a service call and a hot night (and maybe a hotter day) waiting for a service tech to show up. Now 3 hours later the house has cooled down to 83 degrees. Hopefully it will be cool enough to sleep by the time I get tired.

Last edited by Fun71; July 7th, 2023 at 08:40 PM.
Old July 8th, 2023, 03:14 AM

Good you got it fixed, Ken. I was "trained" on A/C, but never actually worked on them). Anyway I remember the most common repair done to A/C units was the run capacitor for condenser. Seems I remember they even make a "hot shot" cap ( something like that) to get motors to start that were getting older. WOW that sure is some temps you get.
Old July 8th, 2023, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Luckily I troubleshoot circuits for a living and was able to determine the run capacitor for the condenser fan was shot. Also luckily I am a pack rat and had snagged the caps from the old AC unit before it was carted off, so I had a replacement on hand.
Kenneth - Really glad you have the skill set and had the extra part on hand to be able to fix it yourself. Nice job! 👍
Old July 8th, 2023, 06:05 AM

Why in the wild wild world of sports world a sane person travel 4 hours ( to and home) to look at a car for 25 k and offer less than 10?
Old July 8th, 2023, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Why in the wild wild world of sports world a sane person travel 4 hours ( to and home) to look at a car for 25 k and offer less than 10?
You said “sane person’.
Old July 8th, 2023, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Jim - You answered it in your question, he's obviously not sane! Lucky for him he went home and made his f'ing low-ball offer long distance. If he'd been standing next to you I fear ya might have just smacked him upside the head! What a douche!
Old July 8th, 2023, 11:51 AM

Hi guys - Looks like I'm probably going to be able to get in a car event this weekend after all. The weatherman had been calling for an 80% chance of rain all day today until this morning. Now all the Apps are showing only a 15% chance of a shower the rest of this afternoon and evening. The BK cruise-in that they've at least temporarily moved to the local burger and frozen custard place near me starts at 5pm and goes to whenever. I'm planning on getting there a little before 4pm to get a decent spot because cars start showing up then and it was jam packed last time. Hopefully the weather doesn't change, I was itching to get the car out and this event is essentially in my backyard. I'm sure I'll see several folks there I know which is always nice. Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old July 8th, 2023, 12:37 PM

I have no use for these kind of idiots. More than likely they would have gotten a very terse response to their lowball offer. i was suppposed to head out this morning with my buddy to a car show in Zeeland, but the weather did not co-operate. we called it off @ 6:40am.
Old July 8th, 2023, 01:07 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Hi guys - Looks like I'm probably going to be able to get in a car event this weekend after all. The weatherman had been calling for an 80% chance of rain all day today until this morning. Now all the Apps are showing only a 15% chance of a shower the rest of this afternoon and evening. The BK cruise-in that they've at least temporarily moved to the local burger and frozen custard place near me starts at 5pm and goes to whenever. I'm planning on getting there a little before 4pm to get a decent spot because cars start showing up then and it was jam packed last time. Hopefully the weather doesn't change, I was itching to get the car out and this event is essentially in my backyard. I'm sure I'll see several folks there I know which is always nice. Hope everyone has a great evening!
Hope you get a nice car event and nice weather to Chris. We had a really nice weather and a cruise this evening with a lot of cars
But because the heating issuies in our 98 i dont think i should drive it at cruising anymore.
Old July 8th, 2023, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by GCH
Hope you get a nice car event and nice weather to Chris. We had a really nice weather and a cruise this evening with a lot of cars
But because the heating issuies in our 98 i dont think i should drive it at cruising anymore.
Glenn - Good to hear from you. Glad you had a nice time at the cruise! Hope you can get the 98's cooling issue fixed soon. It's too nice a car just to be sitting.

I'm at the cruise-in now. I got a nice place to park and sit. It's totally gray and overcasovercasthey're still saying it's not suppossed to rain. I'm here now, I guess I'll find out
Old July 8th, 2023, 02:07 PM

i can't remember if i told ya about the last yahoo who drove up form Mississippi and said, I don't want it but I want to tell you I have $18000 in my pocket Me That's really good to know so I don't have ta tell ya to go **** yourself twice Yall don't know this but when i was in the shopping center business I negotiated retail leases with some fairly large companies that could be a GIANT PITA. Men's Warehouse immediately comes to mind I'll guarantee ya

Last edited by Jamesbo; July 8th, 2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old July 8th, 2023, 03:33 PM

Too many people have the mindset that waving a fistful of cash in front of a seller will make him all googly and drop the sales price. Maybe for a completely desperate seller, but for anyone else it’s an insult.
Old July 8th, 2023, 07:44 PM

Hi guys,

The cruise-in was really nice and well attended with alot of nice cars. The weather ended up being perfect, overcast and 78° and nary a sprinkle. Here's a link to the pics if you want to check them out.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...mo-1-a-173244/
Old July 9th, 2023, 01:00 AM
GCH

Glenn - Good to hear from you. Glad you had a nice time at the cruise! Hope you can get the 98's cooling issue fixed soon. It's too nice a car just to be sitting.

I'm at the cruise-in now. I got a nice place to park and sit. It's totally gray and overcasovercasthey're still saying it's not suppossed to rain. I'm here now, I guess I'll find out
Nice you had a good time Chris , i think your cruise-in is better than the cruising we do. Cars driving around all the time
and a lot of waiting and engines idling. This year there it was so many cars so the streets was clogged and much idling.
Many cars have issiues with heating . Dont know what to do with the 425 more than already has been done
Unbelievable that this engines worked in Arizona and other places much hotter than here.

Old July 9th, 2023, 05:33 AM

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=favorite+s...%3DN7qkQewyubs
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Nice you had a good time Chris , i think your cruise-in is better than the cruising we do. Cars driving around all the time
and a lot of waiting and engines idling. This year there it was so many cars so the streets was clogged and much idling.
Many cars have issiues with heating . Dont know what to do with the 425 more than already has been done
Unbelievable that this engines worked in Arizona and other places much hotter than here.
Glenn - I enjoy "cruises" like you have once in awhile, but I have to agree the static display "cruise-ins" I go to are more fun. I really enjoy being able to walk up and check the other cars out up close, and the best part are the discussions with spectators and other owners..

I realize you are frustrated with what to do with the over heating issue on the 98. If I were you, I would first take some good pictures of your cooling system. Then I would start a thread on here, first describing the exact set-up of your cooling system with the pics (radiator, fan type, shroud or no shroud, thermostat, etc.). Then I would describe the exact conditions under which the car overheats and how hot it gets. I would convert your temperatures to Fahrenheit to make it easier for guys on here to help you diagnose the issue and provide suggestions on what you might be able to modify to eliminate the issue.

When it is over 90°F here, and I'm in heavy stop and go traffic like your "cruises" for any period of time, my car quickly gets up to 200°F, and I believe it would keep going higher and overheat if I didn't have a large auxiliary "pusher fan" in front of the radiator that I can toggle on and off from a switch on my dash. That auxiliary fan has always been able to hold my temperature below 205°F, regardless of the air temperature and driving conditions. I would bet the guys on here could help you make a modification or two to your system to keep it from overheating. If you would like me to take a picture or two of my pusher fan set-up just let me know. Good luck!
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:19 AM
Running On Empty

I realize you are frustrated with what to do with the over heating issue on the 98.
The way I read Glenn's post I didn't see where Glenn stated he had an issue w/ overheating. He said many others had an issue.
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:22 AM
Running On Empty

Jim? Feeling nostalgic?
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:26 AM
Running On Empty

It's been one week since I installed the Culligan Water Softener repair/replacement kit thingy which fixed the 'Error 1' code. It's been working fine from everything I can figure out. I still can't figure out 'why' it fixed the issue; but, I'm going to look a gift horse in the mouth. For $hits & giggles, I did place it into Automatic Self Test Diagnostics Mode and it did not puke out any issues & passed all tests.

Onto more caulking & cleaning.
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The way I read Glenn's post I didn't see where Glenn stated he had an issue w/ overheating. He said many others had an issue.
Norm - See Glenn's post #49573 yesterday, saying he was having trouble with it overheating at the cruising event he was in a couple days ago. He also made mention of it again in a subsequent post when he stated "I don't know what else I can do with the 425".
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:40 AM
Running On Empty

Norm - See Glenn's post #49573 yesterday, saying he was having trouble with it overheating at the cruising event he was in a couple days ago. He also made mention of it again in a subsequent post when he stated "I don't know what else I can do with the 425".
Ah, OK - I didn't catch his earlier post. Common issue: Thermostat - they are notorious for failing at any time. A failed thermostat does NOT always demonstrate it's failed simply because you see billowing streams of steam/water exiting the radiator. They can have a slow death - they don't open all the way, they open but the metal, spring & seal get covered in "gunk" and won't open all the way restricting water flow. Back in the 1960s/1970s the single most important item we all carried in our cars was a new thermostat. Consider not waiting until it completely fails & blows steam/water - they're inexpensive and easy to replace at the first signs of an overheating issue.

They also fail because the spring gets weak and won't open at the right temperature.
Old July 9th, 2023, 06:49 AM

Our new neighbor with 2 kids moved in.

Old July 9th, 2023, 07:34 AM
GCH

Glenn - I enjoy "cruises" like you have once in awhile, but I have to agree the static display "cruise-ins" I go to are more fun. I really enjoy being able to walk up and check the other cars out up close, and the best part are the discussions with spectators and other owners..

I realize you are frustrated with what to do with the over heating issue on the 98. If I were you, I would first take some good pictures of your cooling system. Then I would start a thread on here, first describing the exact set-up of your cooling system with the pics (radiator, fan type, shroud or no shroud, thermostat, etc.). Then I would describe the exact conditions under which the car overheats and how hot it gets. I would convert your temperatures to Fahrenheit to make it easier for guys on here to help you diagnose the issue and provide suggestions on what you might be able to modify to eliminate the issue.

When it is over 90°F here, and I'm in heavy stop and go traffic like your "cruises" for any period of time, my car quickly gets up to 200°F, and I believe it would keep going higher and overheat if I didn't have a large auxiliary "pusher fan" in front of the radiator that I can toggle on and off from a switch on my dash. That auxiliary fan has always been able to hold my temperature below 205°F, regardless of the air temperature and driving conditions. I would bet the guys on here could help you make a modification or two to your system to keep it from overheating. If you would like me to take a picture or two of my pusher fan set-up just let me know. Good luck!
Hi i should write more in the 425 heating problems thread in the big block place that i started.
Old July 9th, 2023, 07:56 AM
Running On Empty

Venison veal cutlets

Our new neighbor with 2 kids moved in.

Old July 9th, 2023, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Hi i should write more in the 425 heating problems thread in the big block place that i started.
Yes, I think you should. Stick with it and you will figure out the cause, and be able fix the issue or add on an auxiliary cooling device to solve the problem so you can still enjoy your car the way you want to.
Old July 9th, 2023, 08:22 AM

Venison veal cutlets
Boy would I be in trouble!!!!!
Old July 9th, 2023, 02:57 PM
Running On Empty

Great big gnarly water spout thunderstorm cell moving into Beaufort in the next one hour.

EDIT: Disaster narrowly averted...

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 9th, 2023 at 03:49 PM. Reason: update
Old July 9th, 2023, 04:06 PM

Great big gnarly water spout thunderstorm cell moving into Beaufort in the next one hour.

EDIT: Disaster narrowly averted...
Sure glad it missed you Norm!
Old July 9th, 2023, 04:09 PM
Running On Empty

Sure glad it missed you Norm!

Old July 10th, 2023, 11:47 AM

Good afternoon guys,

I've tried to stop subjecting you guys to pics of my wife's refinished furniture, but I thought this piece was so unique it was worth sharing. An antique (>100-yrs. old) combination Curio and mini-Secretary, with all locks functional.

Old July 10th, 2023, 04:55 PM

That looks sweet, Chris! She is extremely talented!
Old July 10th, 2023, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
That looks sweet, Chris! She is extremely talented!
Thanks Greg, I'll be sure and let her know you said that.
Old July 11th, 2023, 09:42 AM
Jeff

That is a neat piece of furniture.

Rant time: so, we managed to get my Mom convinced to sell her home and move into a condo. After Dad passed, she's too far away from everyone, and her feet aren't in the best of shape from bunions and hammer toes. Needed to get her into something with a first floor laundry, and the least amount of steps that we could, as well as a place where lawn, landscaping, and snow removal was handled for her. We were at the inspection yesterday, on a new build. The unit is one of four in this particular building configuration, and two units have already been sold. All four units were completed at the same time. Mom's unit, 2 of the 3 entry doors were unlocked because the striker plates were not lined up properly. None of the windows were locked, again because hardware not lined up. Wrong gauge wire (too small) run from the ac to the panel, AND THE CITY INSPECTOR SIGNED OFF ON IT! What. The. Actual. F***? How did the builder not know that this unit was not locked up, because I would bet money that the two sold & occupied units had the same issues. Sloppy f'ing work. There are a few minor cosmetic issues that I'll have him fix ahead of time, but he needs to have a serious discussion with two of his contractors, because he's still actively building other units in the development.
Old July 11th, 2023, 09:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
What. The. Actual. F***?

Old July 11th, 2023, 09:49 AM
Jeff

I censored myself in my rant. As Ralphie would have said, "The F dash dash dash word."
Old July 11th, 2023, 09:52 AM

Jeff - Your rant is certainly justified, it's shameful what $hit contractors throw up these days! Hope you can get the prime contractor to make things right without it getting too ugly, but your Mom deserves what she's paying for. She's just lucky she has you to look out for her!