The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2024, 07:07 AM

Norm - Good deal you get good support out of Wells Fargo. Wells Fargo holds our home mortgage, I've had no issues with them. FWIW, my wife has got good support out of PayPal in regard to payment issues in her furniture dealings.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
John - Glad you had no damage to your home. Sounds like you came close to running out of juice on your auxiliary battery powered sump pump. My old house (where my Ex still lives) had two sumps in it, one on each part of of an L-shaped ranch style home. I had auxiliary battery back-ups on both sump holes that saved me more than once. But there were also times when the auxiliaries did not last long enough and I had to break out the generator to keep the mains operating.
I did not have a full charge on that guy. I need to invest in a decent generator and some power cords. Or, I may have an electrician put in a backfeeder and put a 220V circuit out to generator parking. I wonder if they make inverters strong enough to drive one of those pumps, and how much power a car battery holds for it.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 07:37 AM
Always room for one more

Norm the first thing I did was turn the valve on the meter outside. It has two rings, one on the valve and one on a bracket that line up with each other, then you put a lock through them. Then I saw that the water heater was still heating, so I turned off the valve next to it, and then turned the control box to off. As it sits now, the system still has gas pressure, but I can't smell gas any longer so I'm guessing the leak is past the valve on the water heater. The window remains open.

Old April 3rd, 2024, 07:48 AM

Good morning guys,

Very chilly behind the front, only 44° right now with sustained 20 mph winds, gusting to 30 mph. Feels like frickin winter again.

Gabe has a hockey game this evening which I'm looking forward to going to. The 1st (monthly event) cruise-in of the year at the large church in Fenton (>300-cars) is scheduled for this Friday. I've posted pics of this one several times. In my opinion it's consistently the best event in our area if you want to see a wide variety of really nice cars and trucks. I'll be there if the weather cooperates. I also wanted to go to my first judged show on Sunday hosted by the Band Boosters at the Highschool in Arnold, but right now the weather forecast is showing a high probability of rain. We'll see, I'll have the car ready to roll. Hoping the addition of the SSI's, and my display of the NFL Car Story in JWO, might garner me a few more points from judges this season.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old April 3rd, 2024, 09:28 AM
Running On Empty

I recognize I'm gabbing more than usual.

Spring tree pollen is nasty not only in the eyes but it makes me feel very lethargic & I develop a sinus infection from it - hate it. Speaking of lethargy - Basically I haven't done $hit in eight days other than recover from this surgery. Applying antibiotic ointment to my LH eye lids means I've been seeing out of one eye for eight days. Stitches have slowly begun to dissolve so keeping antibiotic ointment is key to maintaining a clean environment. Swelling remains, but has subsided considerably. Post-op check-up next week on Tuesday.

The weather front is now upon us. Slight misting w/ little rainfall. Should last another 6 hrs - 8 hrs as it passes. Temps are beginning to fall.

No sump pumps along the Eastern Carolina coast for any buildings. Flatter than a pancake, water table is less than 2' from the surface - foundations would shift, drift, crack and pop out of the ground. Buildings are all built above ground w/ maybe only a one foot to two foot footer.

Party size double-meat Stouffer lasagna in the oven. Not much in the mood for cooking while recovering.

Mike - Good luck identifying the gas leak. Hope it's minor. Having owned several homes/duplexes up North and down South, I became somewhat familiar with gas line pipes/meters & the like. Most likely each state and location w/in a state has codes which must be met regarding type/style metering devices & of course those codes & meters change as time moves on. One time I accidentally backed into a gas meter in a home I was renting. When I exited my truck, I heard nothing but solid natural gas rushing from the meter. You never saw anyone run so fast in your life as I shut down that meter.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Having owned several homes/duplexes up North and down South, I became somewhat familiar with gas line pipes/meters & the like. Most likely each state and location w/in a state has codes which must be met regarding type/style metering devices & of course those codes & meters change as time moves on.
Norm - I suffer from allergies year round, but especially this time of year like you. I've tried all the over the counter stuff at one time or another, but I've had much better luck using Citerizine Hydrochloride (generic Zyrtec) than anything else. I buy it in bulk from Sam's Club and take one everyday regardless of the time of year. Doc says it won't hurt me and it actually works better maintaining a low concentration in your system.

Speaking of Natural gas service and meters, our local gas supplier (Spire) has been going through our subdivision and replacing the older mechanical style meters with the new so-called Smart Meters. In the process of swapping mine out, probably when torquing on the large coupling nuts, they broke my silicone seal where the main pipe goes into my home and didn't bother to reseal it. I felt like calling to complain and ask them to get their **** back over here and reseal it, but then decided it wasn't worth my time and aggravation. I'll do it myself when it warms up again.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 10:48 AM

Brunswick stew for lunch 😋
Old April 3rd, 2024, 11:06 AM

(generic Zyrtec)
I keep a supply in the cupboard. Been raining for the last couple of days, not supposed to get any sun until friday. I thought about trying to take pics of the eclipse, but I would have to buy a solar filter for the camera. A decent one is about $130-150 (95mm). Couple that the fact that I live along lake Michigan, means the chance of cloud cover is good, and they are calling for a 30% chance of rain on Monday. I'd have to wait until 2044 for another chance at it. Not worth the investment.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 11:08 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks for reminding about Zyrtec. I've heard good things about Zyrtec over the years. In my teenage/youth years I used to take Allerest in the fall to fight off perennial ragweed allergy. I became a literal ball of snot if I was w/in 50' of ragweed. The problem w/ Allerest was it would knock me out most of the time - sometimes to the point it would immobilize me I became so tired. I haven't taken an anti-histamine in many, many years. Botth Zrytec & Allerest are H1 receptor antihistamines but each drug has a slightly different molecular structure as do many ant-histamines.

Unfortunately, now isn't the appropriate time for me to use any anti-histamine while recovering from a surgical wound. Histamine makes blood vessels more permeable which helps to enlist the immune system. Basophils (primarily), Eosinophils & Neutrophils are the primary line of defense to any infections. They are derived from white blood cells (as are all components of the immune system). Albeit, an anti-histamine which blocks histamine in performing its functional role(s) is not good at the moment. I want as much vascular permeability as possible with as many white blood cells as I can handle being delivered to wounds. With that said however as soon as I'm clear out of the woods on healing this surgical wound Zyrtec sounds like an excellent anti-histamine for this pesky pollen.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Brunswick stew for lunch 😋
Jim - Excellent Brunswick.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 11:15 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
"Zyrtec" - I keep a supply in the cupboard.
I think that's something I'm going to do. Good idea.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 12:01 PM

Chris - Thanks for reminding about Zyrtec. I've heard good things about Zyrtec over the years.
You're welcome. FWIW, I know everyone reacts differently to different drugs, but the generic Zyrtec does not seem to make me drowsy at all. Also, unless you just want your wallet a little lighter, I'd get one of the generics from Sam's, Walmart, or Walgreens, they each have their own.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 12:20 PM
Running On Empty

Nearly all antihistamines produced today belong to the 2nd generation antihistamines. The original Allerest was a 1st generation antihistamine. Of notable interest: All 1st generation antihistamines easily, rapidly & eloquently crossed the blood brain barrier. This is the primary reason 1st generation antihistamines created such terrible drowsiness. There exist today a fair number of 1st gen. antihistamines, but you'd have to pay careful attention to the class (molecule) name of the antihistamine to know/understand the difference. The exact name of the drug used as the antihistamine is required to be published on the product label. Histamine/Antihistamine is a very large portion of an advanced biochemistry class & for good reason(s). They have exceedingly important roles in the human body not only in the immune system.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 12:25 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I know you want to read this article...

H1 Antihistamines: Current Status and Future Directions
Old April 3rd, 2024, 12:55 PM

Of notable interest: All 1st generation antihistamines easily, rapidly & eloquently crossed the blood brain barrier.
That is interesting, I didn't know that, or that many of latest generation antihistimines have been improved to reduce or eliminate that as a cause of drowsiness. 👍
Old April 3rd, 2024, 01:21 PM

Chris - I know you want to read this article...

H1 Antihistamines: Current Status and Future Directions
Thanks Norm. I'm gonna be tied up until later this evening, but I promise I'll check it out.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 02:48 PM
Running On Empty

I'm gonna be tied up until later this evening...
Kinky bastard.
Old April 3rd, 2024, 04:39 PM

mike, what happen with the gas leak
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:24 PM

Kinky bastard.
I sure hope Rosa Parks isn't on top cause she ain't getting up
Old April 3rd, 2024, 05:45 PM
Running On Empty

Placed an order for the Genuine GORILLA-LIFT 2-Sided Trailer Tailgate Lift Assist via Amazon...be here Friday or Saturday.
I'll most likely replace the provided mounting h/w with SS mounting h/w since I suspect the provided mounting h/w is aluminum. I have to do this w/ nearly any outdoor equipment along this pesky salt water coastal environment.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00132CG4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00132CG4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old April 3rd, 2024, 06:23 PM
Running On Empty

I sure hope Rosa Parks isn't on top cause she ain't getting up
History of the Rosa Parks bus is interesting if not peculiar. The 1948 bus (which was sitting in an old abandoned field in Alabama) was manufactured by the GM Corporation Truck & Bus Division. Yet, the restored bus is a prominent item stored/displayed at the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit, Michigan - figure that one out. These are the exact style buses used by the city (Elgin, Illinois) where I grew up. They were plentiful back in the day. I rode them around everywhere.

Old April 3rd, 2024, 06:45 PM

I have never ridden on a city bus. In my home town they ran only in the ghetto neighborhoods.
Old April 4th, 2024, 04:33 AM

Norm, I hope you're recovering nicely from the procedure. Pretty sure you will, you're too ornery not to...!! just joken' buddy....
Old April 4th, 2024, 05:49 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Thanks. Things are trending in a positive direction. Just finished reading pathology of the MMS (Mohs Micrographic Surgery) procedure. Identified as Well-Differentiated Squamous Cell Carcinoma (SCC). MMS procedure removed any/all remnants of SCC. The hallmark is it was "well-differentiated" meaning contained to a well-defined area resulting in complete surgical removal w/ clear margins of normal cells.
Old April 4th, 2024, 07:09 AM

Thanks Norm. I'm gonna be tied up until later this evening, but I promise I'll check it out.
I finally had time to check out the paper this morning. Pretty much an in-depth scientic review and explanation of exactly what you previously told me, although I have to admit about 70% was above my chemical/biological pay grade. What really surprises me is that many of those 1st Gen Antihistimines are still on the market, never having undergone the rigorous pharmaceutical trials that are performed today??? Just doesn't seem right???

Kinky bastard.
As Mr. Mellencamp says, "Hurts So Good"!
Old April 4th, 2024, 07:11 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Kewl you actually read it. Good on you.
Old April 4th, 2024, 09:13 AM
Running On Empty

mike, what happen with the gas leak
How long do we wait to file a missing persons report on Mike?
Old April 4th, 2024, 10:13 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Yesterday afternoon I turned the gas back on(or, all the way on), relit the water heater, and took my bottle of soapy water and sprayed down every fitting and connection there was in the basement. Nada. I was a little perplexed. No smell of gas. I left the gas turned on at the meter and decided I wasn't going to worry about it. I'm in the basement several times a day and so far no gas smell. I left the window open. If the smell comes back I'll have to call someone.

So I see what's old is new again.

Work seemed slow all day but we just finished up, an hour early. We will undoubtedly sit until after 2. One more and it's the weekend.

Jamesbo do you still want that jerry can?

If that bus were sitting out in some field, how did someone know that was the Rosa Parks bus? Norm, the Henry Ford museum has automotive everything. I don't find it odd that a GM bus is in the Ford museum. I've never been there, I'd love to go. I hear you need multiple days to see it all.

So I've been feeling under the weather all week, just run down and tired, achy, cough, but not stuffed up or runny nose. Just blah. So today when I got to work I was barely functional and couldn't hardly stay awake, and I said to myself, self, enough of this I'm done being sick. So I got up and got something to drink and decided I wasn't sick anymore. I tell you right about now I feel great and plan on a few things to do after work. This mind over matter thing really has some kick.

Okay I think I'll walk down to the roll up door and see what it's like outside. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old April 4th, 2024, 10:26 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Many of my research experiments employed high concentrations of Beta (2) Mercaptoethanol (common name BME). Smells exactly like rotten eggs. Natural Gas is odorless. They add BME to Natural Gas to create the smell. We also know what else can produce the smell of rotten eggs.
Old April 4th, 2024, 10:39 AM

Mike - Hope your "mind over matter" approach continues to work and you've kicked the bug's **** so you can enjoy your weekend.

Hey, whatever happened to your interest in that really nice looking blue Valiant, did I miss something? Just nosy, it looked like a really clean car from the one pic you posted.
Old April 4th, 2024, 11:04 AM

mike, sure
Old April 4th, 2024, 01:37 PM

That style of (GM) bus was what we had here in the 60's until they were replaced in the early 70's. That's how we got around town when the ole' man was at work. He worked in construction (hyvac) and frequently worked out of town. I used to take Allegra D, but that made my blood pressure skyrocket. Tried the Zyrtec about a dozen years ago, been working for me ever since.
Old April 4th, 2024, 01:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That style of (GM) bus was what we had here in the 60's until they were replaced in the early 70's.
Not surprising that's about same time frame(s) as Chicagoland buses. Had several bus drivers attempt to kick our asses during the winter. We'd get off the bus, grab the rear bumper and skitch in the snow.
Old April 4th, 2024, 02:33 PM
Always room for one more

Chris as nice as the Valiant looked in the pictures, I just didn't feel a real need to drive all day to retrieve it. That, and I think it's overpriced. Judging by how long it's been for sale, I think the guy is a pain to deal with and that's why he still has it. Now, if it were any closer, or any cheeper, it would be in my driveway by now.

As for mind over matter, by the time I left work I felt like a million bucks. And instead of coming home and taking a nap like I've done all week, I went over to the shop and moved some things around.

Norm I know what else smells like rotten eggs. Rotten eggs. But I don't have any eggs in the basement.

One more to go and then I'll be in the presence of Greatness. Gonna be nice over the weekend and then rain all next week. I've really, really had it with all this rain.

Old April 4th, 2024, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris as nice as the Valiant looked in the pictures, I just didn't feel a real need to drive all day to retrieve it. That, and I think it's overpriced. Judging by how long it's been for sale, I think the guy is a pain to deal with and that's why he still has it. Now, if it were any closer, or any cheeper, it would be in my driveway by now.
Mike - I understand completely, that's a long way to go, especially when you already think the car is overpriced, and no guarantee that he would come down anymore. Glad you're still feeling better!

When I went to Michigan (500-miles) to check out my car, I already knew it was a good deal based on what similar cars were going for at the time. He was asking $29.9K, I offered him $27k, and we settled on $28K. Plus he threw in the SSI wheels/tires, car cover, original Quadrajet, plus another model year correct Quadrajet, and original intake and exhaust manifolds, and a nice Shumacher trickle charger. I was ecstatic with the deal then, even more so now after owning the car for 4 & 1/2-yrs. Its hard to believe I've had it that long!
Old April 4th, 2024, 04:17 PM
Running On Empty

Pollen. Remaining indoors works well. I walked outdoors for 10 minutes. When I returned indoors I could actually feel the pollen grit in my mouth. It's primarily pine pollen (green/yellow) & cedar pollen (green/yellow). Peak pine/cedar pollen is anticipated April 6th. here in Eastern NC.
Old April 4th, 2024, 04:22 PM

History of the Rosa Parks bus is interesting if not peculiar. The 1948 bus (which was sitting in an old abandoned field in Alabama) was manufactured by the GM Corporation Truck & Bus Division. Yet, the restored bus is a prominent item stored/displayed at the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit, Michigan - figure that one out. These are the exact style buses used by the city (Elgin, Illinois) where I grew up. They were plentiful back in the day. I rode them around everywhere.
We had these rigs in Mad Town (Madison WIsco) back in the day. Many adventures. We were dink"s, get our 3 for a buck burger king hamburgers with pickles just to see if there was enough ketchup to make the pickles stick to the windows

More importantly. Civil rights guts, please never forget. If you did not live it it is hard to comprehend the commitment, dedication, and selfless sacrifice.

Thank you Rosa/ Dr Martin King 4-4-68 What a shame

Old April 4th, 2024, 05:33 PM

The wife and I were able to escape from civilization today. It was nice to not see other humans for several hours.

Old April 4th, 2024, 05:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
The wife and I were able to escape from civilization today. It was nice to not see other humans for several hours.
Sweet. Would like a bag of pollen to take along w/ you?
Old April 4th, 2024, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Very nice you could get out into the wilderness. Nice pics too! 👍