The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2021, 09:25 AM

Well, My Chevy 2500 4X$ pickup's tripometer reads 300076 I thin I'll keep it until the wheels fall off

Raining so a noshow on my stone mason

About 30 years ago I bought a complete still with a 30 gallon copper cooker. I think it would make a wonderful boat house object d'art. I hope it's legal to own if it's no all connected up

Fire pit/still combo is what I kinda have in mind
Old February 13th, 2021, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, is your intake #390390? if so, it is correct for '66-67 442's including the '67 W30. Carbs for 442's bring a decent price, $3-400 for regular carbs like you have, over on FB forums, with "W" carbs hitting $4500 for an asking price.
Dan - Yes, my intake is 390390, you can clearly see the stamping on my 1st picture above where I started my inquiry. I'm sure it depends on the condition of the carb, but I am a little surprised that the prices ($300 - $400) you suggested are so high. Not that I doubt you, just surprising to me. Even if I advertised them "As is" for $150 - $200 each, and got that out of them, it might be worth it to try and sell them in case I need something else for my car down the road. What do you think? I may be way off on this, but I would think the original intake would be worth more than the carbs, and I might be able to get some decent money for the original exhaust manifolds too if they're not cracked? I have no desire to try to restore the car to original condition so it wouldn't break my heart to part (no pun intended) with them.
Old February 13th, 2021, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

About 30 years ago I bought a complete still with a 30 gallon copper cooker. I think it would make a wonderful boat house object d'art. I hope it's legal to own if it's no all connected up
James - Tons of folks make homemade wine and beer. Maybe you can get a permit or license to make homemade moonshine if you state it is only for personal consumption and is not being sold? Now that would really be a fun project and extremely interesting hobby! I used to watch that show "Moonshiners" and it amazed me how many different varieties those guys made.
Old February 13th, 2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
James - Tons of folks make homemade wine and beer. Maybe you can get a permit or license to make homemade moonshine if you state it is only for personal consumption and is not being sold? Now that would really be a fun project and extremely interesting hobby! I used to watch that show "Moonshiners" and it amazed me how many different varieties those guys made.

Chris, When I bought the thig. I actually got the government paper work for a permit. All I can remember about it [30 years ago] was you had to buy and put some kind of [at the time expensive] gauge on there to show how much you were making

I don't wanta make any "Christmas Whiskey] I just want a to decorate my boat house. With the price of copper I guess I need to secure it so some kids don't walk off with it, I was on the property managements committee at 1st Presbyterian church [downtown Atlanta on Peachtree] when some kid stole some copper down spouts, Scuppers and even rolled up the copper copping on the parapets. Turned out to be a starving art student needed it for his sculpture
Old February 13th, 2021, 10:41 AM

James - Thanks for the rsvp. Available copper is always a target for thieves, the worthless bastards. Don't know about you guys down there, but right now in Missouri the big target for thieves are catalytic converters, they're disappearing like hotcakes from everywhere in these parts.
Old February 13th, 2021, 11:50 AM

If I had that still, I would be one happy person. My friends and I made a still back in high school from some science class equipment. Got some cracked corn from the feed store, fermented it in the storage room at my parents house, then had the still set up on the stove. My dad, who was in charge of the local PD at the time, gave us some grief about it but didn't shut us down. I think we got a total of about a cup of shine out of the system before stuff started breaking. I do recall trying the first sample and wow, was it potent! A half shot glass of it absorbed right into my gums and tongue and there was nothing left to swallow. Prolly a good thing we didn't continue with that project.
Old February 13th, 2021, 12:51 PM

Norm - Nice work on the Cutlass, and great stories about Bike Week and your moonshining days! Oh the crazy days of our youth!
Old February 13th, 2021, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - What pissed me off about ‘The Dig’ was the fact after all of Basil’s work, hiding the finds below London, Edith donating the collection to the British Museum stipulating Basil be credited with the work, the work was never credited to Basil - that really torqued my A$$. Finally some years later he finally received recognition.
Yes, they did state all of that at the end of the movie in text that was put up on the screen. It really pissed me off too that Basil was not initially credited. I'm sure he was never credited until after his death. Kinda reminds me of doing my professors' work for them when I was in grad school. I'd bet a paycheck I was never cited as a contributor for any of the work I did that ended up in published journals. If I was, the professor never told me about it. That pissed me off even more!
Old February 13th, 2021, 07:20 PM

evaluate the divorced (hot-air) choke spring/coil setting.
FYI, your carb has an integral choke. The divorced choke was last used on the 1967 era vehicles.
This is a divorced choke:

I've made tons of moonshine in my day, including beer, wine, meads & metheglins.
Norm, I became a home brewer in the 80s and I can tell you that brewing beer, mead, and wine is totally different than distilling grain alcohol. Note the distilling part of the grain alcohol process compared to the basic fermentation process for beer, mead, and wine.
Old February 14th, 2021, 12:36 AM

Here ya go Mike, I apologize if you've seen this before. I have a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast

BTW A gay guy in Alabama is someone that likes girls better than football

Norm You ever watch Breaking Bad ? Sounds like you lived it
Old February 14th, 2021, 05:11 AM

Good morning guys,

The well digger's **** is a solid block of ice this morning. Low right now at 0700 is 1 degree. Checked the temp in my insulated, but unheated garage, it's 22. At least they've reduced the projected snowfall back down to 3 - 4". The bulk of the snow is supposed to come tonight thru Monday. Still forecasting zero and below morning lows through Tuesday.

No plans whatsoever for today other than taking care of the dogs needs and paying a few bills. I can happily report that the Schumacher solar powered battery tender I bought for my truck appears to be doing it's job, even in these frigid temps. The truck had set for about a week, and I went out to test it yesterday when it was 18 out and it started right up. The battery cranking power sounded strong when initially turning it over.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old February 14th, 2021, 08:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Cold and rainy, again. Gonna be this way all week. Eh, I'm over it. Might poke around in the garage a little bit today. I bought a locker for the white Suburban probably 20 years ago, never put it in, and now I've lost it. I've got a new axle for said vehicle that I'm finally going to take in and I want the locker to be installed so I have to find it.

The car show yesterday wasn't terrific. Everything was nice but nothing to write home about. Twenty to get in and 15 for lunch at the lunch bar that the civic center ran. Not too crowded. Didn't see any celebrities.

I stayed a couple hours at the Awful house this morning. A bunch of us were there just jawing. It was a good time. Tiger must have thought I forgot him, because when I went out to the car he was all scrunched up and sleeping. He woke up quick when I took a hamburger out of my pocket.

Years ago I had the bright idea I was going to build a still and make moonshine to run in my cars. Obviously not exclusively, but as an add-to for the gasoline. The more I researched it became clear I needed an enormous amount of material for a very small output. So much for that idea.

Jamesbo that's a nice video. How close is that guy to you? Only once did they say the name of the lake, at the very end. I expected you to do a walk-on, but I suppose that big guy might have been embarrassed.

Norm when I read about your friend Mary my mind went in the direction that Harrison Ford might have been the place you bought your pickup. I wondered what that had to do with Hollywood. I went back and reread it and it clicked. I must have swallowed too much water in the shower.

Chris the snow is going to do what it wants, because it doesn't watch the news. I liked the weatherman I saw years ago up home he would say, this is what we think is going to happen.

I guess I better go do something. This is Day 4 off work and I haven't really done too much. But it's been nice. Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

Old February 14th, 2021, 08:51 AM

Mike, He's about 4 miles away. He's ENE I'm SW

You go right past his home when you go to buy gas at the Marina. I never do I just fill up a gas can toss it in my truck and Gator it down to the boat. Much cheaper
Old February 14th, 2021, 02:59 PM

Looks like you guys south-southwest of me are going to get blasted by the weather, even Louisiana is going to get hit pretty good. Ya might move up north where it's pleasant.
Old February 14th, 2021, 03:27 PM

Yeah, the families in SW Louisiana are bracing for an ice storm. The electricity is expected to go out since the infrastructure still isn't fully repaired after the two hurricanes this past summer. Luckily all the family members have a house to live in as theirs are still being rebuilt. Some unfortunate folks are still living in tents and camper trailers, so they are gonna be really cold!

Current conditions show 37ºF and 72% humidity.

Last edited by Fun71; February 14th, 2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old February 14th, 2021, 03:34 PM

It's 6 degrees now and the snow is falling here. They've bumped the projected accumulation back up again to 4 - 8" tonight through tomorrow. Now they're also calling for a 2nd episode Tues night through Wed for an additional 3 - 6"! Ugh!!!!!
Old February 15th, 2021, 04:10 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock down ere but not too cold

So the Super Model says, "Would you make a meat loaf from my Friend Jerri? Her dad is sick and she's worn out looking after him." Ten minute's latter "Oh by the way Ben [her husband ] doesn't eat Beef" Ok HTF do I make a meatless meat loaf? Tofu ketchup and bread crumbs
Old February 15th, 2021, 05:38 AM

Good morning guys,

Coldest temp I've seen here in many, many years. It's 0 deg right now at 0700, with a high of 6 projected. Looks like we got about 3" of very dry drifting snow overnight. We're in a lull now, and it's supposed to start again in about an hour and get another 3 or 4" today. Then we're suppossed to get additional 3 - 6" on Wed - Thurs. Just plain nasty!

Everyone stay safe if you're living in an area of these dangerously cold temps and slick roads!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 15th, 2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old February 15th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Thought I'd sleep in a little this morning, so when Tiger came to wake me up I blew him off. He laid down on the floor, for about 5 minutes, then came back with a vengeance. So I got up. That's okay, this is the last day I could go to the Awful house because I go back to work tomorrow. Had a good time, my friends were there but we didn't stay all that long.

Cold but no rain right now. That's gonna change. I don't really plan on doing anything today. Walmart of course, then just putter around in the house. Never found what I wanted in the garage yesterday. It's probably sitting next to the two barrel manifold I brought back from Australia for a Valiant I haven't been able to find for years.

Jamesbo here's a better way to make meatless meatloaf. Ben doesn't have to have any.

Well time to get going. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old February 15th, 2021, 07:50 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock down ere but not too cold

So the Super Model says, "Would you make a meat loaf from my Friend Jerri? Her dad is sick and she's worn out looking after him." Ten minute's latter "Oh by the way Ben [her husband ] doesn't eat Beef" Ok HTF do I make a meatless meat loaf? Tofu ketchup and bread crumbs
James - Don't know if "Ben" doesn't eat any kind of meat, but my wife has made ground turkey burgers before with cheddar cheese and jalapeños mixed in with the turkey. I'm assuming you could make a meatloaf with ground turkey, adding the same ingredients you would normally use for regular meatloaf. Just a thought????
Old February 15th, 2021, 08:10 AM

Chris, That's what I'm doing

But I haveta admit, I like Mike's answer better

My Mother would say, "You have 2 choices, what's on the table or nothing"
Old February 15th, 2021, 08:45 AM

Chris, That's what I'm doing

But I haveta admit, I like Mike's answer better

My Mother would say, "You have 2 choices, what's on the table or nothing"
James - Great minds think alike! Amen to both your and Mike's response, we ate what was put in front of us and said, Thank you very much!
Old February 15th, 2021, 09:26 AM

Chris, I have a kinds sorta sister [went to grammar school. High School and college together and a great friend] but she's a vegan. At least when she comes to visit, she brings her own tofu
Old February 15th, 2021, 09:48 AM

To each their own! My oldest daughter calls herself a Semi-Vegan, she'll eat fish and poultry, but not pork or beef, or other red meat like venison or elk. When she comes over here for a dinner or BBQ, we do not cook around her silliness!
Old February 15th, 2021, 10:11 AM

I'm a vegetarian, once removed.
Old February 15th, 2021, 10:30 AM

Smile

I'm a vagitarian
Old February 15th, 2021, 11:30 AM

I'm a vagitarian
Well Hell's Bells, now there's a diet I can really get on-board with!
Old February 15th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Hi guys,
Been snowing pretty hard all morning and still snowing hard right now. Snow had gotten deep enough that the dogs were wading in it up to their bellies. They don't like going out to do their business when their "parts" are dragging in the snow, I sure as hell wouldn't either, so I went out and shoveled a big area from the walk-out door down into the backyard for them to go. Then I went up to the driveway and shoveled one lane in case we need to get out in the SUV. It's bad out, compare this pic to the one from earlier this morning.

Old February 15th, 2021, 01:23 PM

Chris-Now you are a good dad to your "boys" making it so they don't have to drag their junk in the snow, Hardy Harr Harr!! Well it looks like we are missing out on the snow this time. Some of my friends down in Lansing saw it is coming for them. We got nuttin today.. Wife has to get a colonoscopy tomarrow at 0700. So that means liquid died today. Then first 8oz of cleaning drink at 1800, wake up at 0200- then 8oz glass full every 1/2 hour untill gone. It will be a miserable night.
Old February 15th, 2021, 01:30 PM

Greg, Next time ask your doctor for a different method [Same results ]but easier to swallow. One tiny pill and one glass of ginger ale. Works better than Drano
Old February 15th, 2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris-Now you are a good dad to your "boys" making it so they don't have to drag their junk in the snow, Hardy Harr Harr!!
Greg - I tried, but I can barely even tell where I shoveled it out now. It's only 5 degrees here right now, and the snow is that really light powdery stuff, easy to shovel, but with it continuing to snow and the wind drifting it, it has filled back in quickly. I won't be back out there again today though. I wish you and your wife well with her procedure tomorrow!
Old February 15th, 2021, 02:04 PM

I guess it's a good thing Jerri didn't ask for a BLT on toast, eh?
Why not, they make turkey bacon too. I tried it once, never again, it sucks!
Old February 15th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Always room for one more

I saw my friend at the Awful house this morning and he's moving slowly with a cane. We weren't getting to it today, nor next weekend, nor the weekend after that so I didn't say anything. I'm in inspection this week which means I should be getting out early every day, maybe we can put in the new water heater some afternoon. I'll give him a call.

Chris that snow just makes me twitch. Being from Illinois I'm no stranger to it but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Before my Mom moved to Florida I'd go see her in the fall and say okay, see you in the spring. Inevitably someone would talk me into visiting during the winter and wouldn't you know it, snow while I was there. Mean, mean joke.

Jamesbo good for da Supermodel for wanting to help her friends. Maybe you can fix Ben a Sprite biscuit with some butter.

So after a couple years I've finally watched the entire boxed set of Seinfeld. Now I'm out of things to watch. I've got my eye out for the entire run of MASH and Hill Street Blues. But for now I'm starting over with Starsky and Hutch. If I could get to the back of the TV easily I'd swap the DVD player for the VCR and watch a few things I haven't seen in eons.

Okay bedtime. I had an impromptu nap this afternoon so I hope I'm not awake all night. Have a good evening everyone.

Old February 15th, 2021, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris that snow just makes me twitch. Being from Illinois I'm no stranger to it but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Before my Mom moved to Florida I'd go see her in the fall and say okay, see you in the spring. Inevitably someone would talk me into visiting during the winter and wouldn't you know it, snow while I was there. Mean, mean joke.
Mike - Growing up in Michigan I'm no stranger to it either, but anymore it makes me twitch too. Seems the older I get, the more trouble I have tolerating the cold and snow. More than just the cold and snow, I think much of my intolerance has alot to do with just not being able to be outside and enjoy my motorsports and other outdoor hobbies. I probably really need to think seriously about a plan to be able to get south or southwest, either permanently, or for a couple months during the worst of winter by buying a small condo or travel trailer. Life's too short to not enjoy it all year round.
Old February 15th, 2021, 07:08 PM

I have a love/hate relationship I guess with winter and snow. I've been here all my life except 4 years in San Diego. So I could have stayed there after the Navy, but didn't... I still get a pleasure from seeing snowfall the first time of the year. It really is beautiful... But, yes it is a pain in the *** also.. I don't get a twitch when I see it though. I enjoy snowmobiling, there is something about it, like being on a luge or something. We ride the same trails in the summer with quads, but it seems completely different. Of course travel is a bitch but funny thing was back when me and my buddies were young we would go out in it in our RWD cars and do doughnuts,etc just for the fun of it, and yeah we did get stuck but we could push it out most the time.. This was done on the dirt roads where usually it was only us on the road.
Old February 15th, 2021, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I have a love/hate relationship I guess with winter and snow. I've been here all my life except 4 years in San Diego. So I could have stayed there after the Navy, but didn't... I still get a pleasure from seeing snowfall the first time of the year. It really is beautiful... But, yes it is a pain in the *** also.. I don't get a twitch when I see it though.
Greg - One thing I figured out pretty quick after spending just a few years in St. Louis was that I'd never trade our St. Louis weather for Michigan's. I'm definitely a warm and hot weather person. We have alot of +90 degree days in July and August and I'm just fine with that. What I really love is the warm weather starts at the beginning of April and lasts thru the end of November. Attached pic was November 6th last fall, and we were in t-shirts. Heck, it's supposed to be in the 50's again for a couple days a week from tomorrow! That's the crazy part of our weather, -2 for a low tomorrow morning, and projected 50's next week. Oh, and then there are the tornadoes in the spring, I sure could do without those!

Old February 15th, 2021, 09:07 PM

Ahh, a balmy 9°. I need a heated steering wheel, and better driving gloves. Greg, speaking of cold, Baldwin is supposed to get down to -20° Tuesday night, Wednesday morning. I am getting more sensitive to the cold, my hands mostly, probably age related. Maybe my next snowblower will have heated handlebars. Chris, is that your big block vette?
Old February 16th, 2021, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Why not, they make turkey bacon too. I tried it once, never again, it sucks!

If it taste good spit it out, It will kill you
Old February 16th, 2021, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155

Chris, is that your big block vette?
Dan - That's my 67 442, but the 66 Vette belongs to one of my best buddies that I worked with for 30-years. He grew up around cars with his Dad and older brother working for one of the local Chevy dealers their entire careers. He's a really good mechanic and did probably 90% of the resto work himself. His car has the 427 tripower in it, and is absolutely beautiful. To his credit, he does regularly get it out and drive it. I would have trouble taking that car out and driving it since it's valued well over $100K.

That particular day we went on about a 140-mile cruise with our wives out to Hermann, MO on the Missouri River in wine country. Hermann has 3 wineries, 2 microbreweries, and a distillery, they hold quite an Octoberfest every fall. This particular buddy talked me into getting a classic car, he of course tried to steer me towards a Chevy, but I had my heart set on a 67 Olds!
Old February 16th, 2021, 04:30 AM

Good morning guys,

Absolutely brutal this morning at -2 at 0600, and supposed to drop another degree or two before sunrise. At least there's no snow forecast for today, but then another 4 - 6 inches forecast for Weds thru Thurs. It was hard to tell exactly how much we got yesterday because of the drifting, but it was easily 8 - 10 inches. I'm really hoping the weatherman is wrong about Wed and Thurs!

My oldest daughter turns 28 today, where in the hell does time go. She's going to bring us another granddaughter any day now, the 1st one on my side. This daughter's husband is a firefighter/paramedic and works 48-hours on duty, then 5-days off. Yesterday and today I am on "get me to the hospital" duty if she goes into labor since her husband is working and is more than an hour's drive from home. I'm just really, really glad she didn't go into labor yesterday during the blizzard, that would have been really hairy! The roads can't be all that great right now, but hopefully by the end of today the road crews will get things cleared up quite a bit.

Hope everyone has a great day!