The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2021, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
How much can I take off at a time without them bleeding?
Look at the underside and you will see a groove in the nail. My understanding is the groove starts where the nerve and blood vessel stops, so do not cut above that groove. I always err on the safe side and cut them a bit too long to ensure I don't get into the nerve / blood vessel. I did that one time 30 or so years ago and I do not want to ever experience that again.

As long as I walk the dogs regularly I don't need to trim nails as the pavement naturally keeps them ground to the proper length. Every so often I need to trim their dew claws, though.

Last edited by Fun71; February 5th, 2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old February 5th, 2021, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Look at the underside and you will see a groove in the nail. My understanding is the groove starts where the nerve and blood vessel stops, so do not cut above that groove. I always err on the safe side and cut them a bit too long to ensure I don't get into the nerve / blood vessel. I did that one time 30 or so years ago and I do not want to ever experience that again.

As long as I walk the dogs regularly I don't need to trim nails as the pavement naturally keeps them ground to the proper length. Every so often I need to trim their dew claws, though.
Mike - Kenneth is right about using the groove on the backside as a guide and to err on the safe side. Your best bet is still to have a visual of the bloodline on the lighter colored nails, and with the black ones use the groove as guide like Kenneth said.

Kenneth - That weather looks so nice right now! You probably remember me saying I have relatives in Casa Grande and Green Valley, and I have spent weeks down there in the summer when the high was +100 every day, but I've never experienced anything like the summer you went through this past year, and never want to. Sure could use a whole bunch of those 70's days though..

We have real issues keeping the bulldogs' nails short because their intolerance of heat and cold keeps us from being able to take them for walks on the street much of the year. They love to go for walks on the street around the subdivision, but only between the temps of around 45 - 70 degrees. Luckily we have a decent sized fenced backed yard for them to get some exercise, but the grass sure doesn't help to keep their nails ground down.
Old February 5th, 2021, 08:34 PM

Yeah I hear ya about the good temperature range for dog walking.

In the summer I have to wait til after 10 or even later at night for the temp to drop below 100 and the concrete isn’t too hot for the dogs paws (sometimes it’s as late as midnight). Then in the morning it’s 90+ at sunrise (6am or earlier) and I have to get the walk in before the sun is too high above the horizon and the pavement is too hot.

Last edited by Fun71; February 5th, 2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old February 5th, 2021, 10:59 PM

Well Greg, not as much snow here, 6" since Thursday night, though it's still coming down. Driving wasn't too bad coming home from work, just that the roads are like washboards. No major pile ups, which is good. I'll take some of Kenneth's weather.
Old February 6th, 2021, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I have had dogs most of my life, I don't currently have a dog. I had a girlfriend when I was an undergrad who was pre-Vet. She told me the best manner to cut animal toenails is via the brightest most powerful light you can get your hands on to illuminate the Quick. She showed me how she did it with her dog, which was a Spitz. We've come a very long way on illumination with the advent of LED - I 'suspect' these clippers work pretty good if they're of the right size, etc., but still a very powerful light under the dog's nail can illuminate the Quick.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...tm-20/?ie=UTF8
Norm - I won't say for sure unless I tried them in person, but my suspicion is the advertised LED lighting is more of a gimmick than an actual help. We have found bright daytime natural lighting to work the best. Did you happen to read the fine print, the advertisement even admits they do not work on dark nails, which are the real problem.

​​"Illuminates light colored nails’ delicate bloodline, so you can trim in the right spot! Lights have been relocated to increase visibility of your pets quick in their nail. For dark nails, be sure to look at the dark nail head-on, once you see a small dark circle, this is as far as you should go."

The last sentence in the advertisement above describes "looking at the dark nail head-on". They are talking about looking at the crossection of the very end of the nail that has been clipped. On dark nails, after a cut has been made, looking at the crossection of the cut, you will see the outer circumference of the nail is the very dark opaque black, while the inner core is grey. As they describe, when you get close to the bloodline, a tiny black dot will start to show up in the center of that grey part of the crossection and when you see that dot appear you should stop clipping immediately. It's a tricky proposition to use the appearance of the black dot as a guide because our experience has shown there is probably only 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch once you think you see that black dot until you are in the quick.
Old February 6th, 2021, 05:24 AM

Yeah I hear ya about the good temperature range for dog walking.

In the summer I have to wait til after 10 or even later at night for the temp to drop below 100 and the concrete isn’t too hot for the dogs paws (sometimes it’s as late as midnight). Then in the morning it’s 90+ at sunrise (6am or earlier) and I have to get the walk in before the sun is too high above the horizon and the pavement is too hot.
Kenneth - Bulldogs have such issues with their breathing, which is their only means to cool their internal body temp, that you run a real risk of them getting heat stroke and even dying if you let them excert themselves too long over about 75 degrees. We are lucky that our dogs breathing is relatively good compared to most of their breed, but we still have to be careful with them. In the summer when it's 90 and we let them go out to play for a little while, we make sure they have a small kiddie pool of cool water for them to get into, and cool water for them to drink, and we still don't let them stay out very long. When their tongue starts to hang on the ground, you know they've got to come in.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 6th, 2021 at 05:49 AM.
Old February 6th, 2021, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I'll take some of Kenneth's weather.
If you can wait until August for it, I'll send you some triple digits.
Old February 6th, 2021, 09:03 AM

Expecting 3-4" of the nasty white stuff in the mountains

That's usually followed with 2/3 days w/o power

I keep a little cup of water in the freezer with a quarter on top, so I can tell if I need to toss any frozen food

I have a generator for our well [common for 5 homes] but can't find a 22 KW for my house. 3/4 month back order. So, I may get one in time for when the spring storms' knocking out power for a few hours
Old February 6th, 2021, 10:14 AM

James - Hope the forecast is wrong, and certainly hope you don't have any power outages. Good luck and be safe!
Old February 6th, 2021, 11:26 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Cold. It was nice this morning and the sun was trying to come out. But it quit trying and I hear we're supposed to get rain now. Yuck.

Thanks guys for the advice on the dog nails. The vet person told me once that I can trim a little at a time and the quick will recede. I don't think I believed her. I probably shouldn't use a ziz wheel. Yes Tiger's nails are black.

Got to the Awful house just as my friends were leaving, so I thought I'd be sitting at the counter by myself. Then a guy from across the lake came in and I talked with him for about an hour. Then I came home and did nothing. Then I had lunch. Now I've got some laundry going and I don't see me doing much more. I don't get a lot done when it's cold. A friend of mine wants to go out for a bite later on. That should be a good time.

Okay it's break time. Tiger needs a treat. I thought it was getting lighter out while I was reading about Ronald Reagan. Today is his birthday. It's not getting lighter out. See you's all later.

Old February 6th, 2021, 11:47 AM

Mike, Did I read that correctly You stayed at the Aweful House for an hour, then went home and had lunch?
Old February 6th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Always room for one more

Hm I guess it does look like that. I got home around 10 and had lunch around noon or a little after. My two scrambled eggs and toast didn't do much for me. Plus the chef shorted me on my scattered and smothered.

But the rest is true. I haven't done jack all day. Just looking up things on the internet. I tell you this house hunting is enough to drive a guy mad. It keeps getting colder out and I haven't heard from my friend, so it looks like I'm in for the day.

Hurry up summer. Sorry Kenneth.

Old February 6th, 2021, 12:50 PM

Got it, You had breakfast there the lunch at Home. If you had added aa BIG bowl of grits loaded with butter, It would have stuck to you ribs longer
Old February 6th, 2021, 03:46 PM

Dan, was there another pile up on 94? I thought the news said there was one down by Ft Custer. Maybe I was wrong... Boy I'll never forget that big one 4-5 years ago where all the Utube videos were out, WOW! Not much new here, just cold!!
Old February 6th, 2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Dan, was there another pile up on 94? I thought the news said there was one down by Ft Custer. Maybe I was wrong... Boy I'll never forget that big one 4-5 years ago where all the Utube videos were out, WOW! Not much new here, just cold!!
Greg - Ft. Custer, a blast from my past, right in my old backyard. Don't know if they still have it or not, but they used to hold a big balloon festival out there every year at the AP. Also, the Air National Guard used to fly the A-10 Warthogs out of there. Really something to hear those tank killers roar over!
Old February 6th, 2021, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The USAF tried to get me to sign on with the A10 for another 4-6 years in (1978) just prior to the formal release of the wart hog - Congress refused to fund the B1 but instead funded the A10. They first wanted me to sign on with the B10, until Congress said no money for you right now. So I had to turn them down twice in the same year as I headed back to college a free man.
Norm - Nice job on your golf buddies car, I'm sure he appreciated the help! Probably a good thing you turned down the good ol USAF. From what I know about you, it sounds like you went on to accomplish much greater things than you probably would have had the opportunity to do in the USAF.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 6th, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old February 6th, 2021, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Also, the Air National Guard used to fly the A-10 Warthogs out of there. Really something to hear those tank killers roar over!
Yeah, that is something to hear. That reminded me of a camping trip in the deep woods with my brother-in-law that involved a bonfire and fermented hops and barley into the wee hours, followed by sleeping bags under the stars. We were awakened much, much too early in the morning by a pair of Warthogs flying directly over us at treetop level. Now THAT was an alarm clock to remember!

Last edited by Fun71; February 6th, 2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old February 6th, 2021, 06:06 PM

Yeah, that is something to hear. That reminded me of a camping trip in the deep woods with my brother-in-law that involved a bonfire and fermented hops and barley into the wee hours, followed by sleeping bags under the stars. We were awakened much, much too early in the morning by a pair of Warthogs flying directly over us at treetop level. Now THAT was an alarm clock to remember!
Kenneth - That had to have scared the crap out of you guys. Other than sonic booms, they're the loudest jets I've ever heard.
Old February 6th, 2021, 06:16 PM

Yeah, it was an abrupt wakeup for sure. The serene silence of the woods was shattered by two Warthogs almost clipping the tops of the pine trees directly above us. I always wondered if they saw us on their IR displays sleeping peacefully and decided to buzz us. Dang flyboys. Gotta love 'em.
Old February 6th, 2021, 09:32 PM

Greg, I went to WMMT's website (Kalamazoo) and only saw singular accidents on I-94 that closed it down for awhile on Friday, but no chain reaction pile-ups. The loudest aircraft that i ever saw and heard was back when we used to have air shows here. They had a B1-B there, and when it did a low altitude fly over, over the runway, it about pierced my ear drums. Very impressive though. They had A-10's there on a couple of occasions, one of my favorite aircraft.
Old February 7th, 2021, 04:26 AM

Wow , 5below this morning on my thermometer! I was in the Mich National Guard from 82-90. Went to Custer many times for drill though mostly to Camp Grayling. When I was there, there were still may old WWII barrick looking buildings. Actually we stayed in them. Rumors were they were used as housing for Japanese citizen holding in the war... I'm not sure of that. The base was getting old and run down then, I heard that it is being used a lot now and lots of $$ have been spent on renovations,etc. Well I guess we are going over to some friends for Super Bowl later today. I could care less who wins, I prolly won't even watch except for commercials. But it's fun to actually visit with someone other than my wife... She is over65 and just got her 2nd covid shot. I'm still 64 and haven't gotten the shot, though I guess I had it as I did test positive... I dunno.
Old February 7th, 2021, 05:53 AM

Snow in the mountains was a bust. Just flurries. I guess my quarter is still riding high

I've been to several Super Bowls, IMHO they are hype for the sake of hype
Old February 7th, 2021, 07:11 AM

Greg, I went to WMMT's website (Kalamazoo) and only saw singular accidents on I-94 that closed it down for awhile on Friday, but no chain reaction pile-ups. The loudest aircraft that i ever saw and heard was back when we used to have air shows here. They had a B1-B there, and when it did a low altitude fly over, over the runway, it about pierced my ear drums. Very impressive though. They had A-10's there on a couple of occasions, one of my favorite aircraft.
Dan - For about 5-years of my career at the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency I was in charge of the group that produced all the hardcopy charts and digital data used for flight navigation by all the Services. By nature of having Veteran Preference points, and having first hand knowledge of using the products we produced, we would hire retired Service pilots and navigators if possible when positions would become available. One thing I noticed was that just about all of these former Service personnel had suffered some level of significant permanent hearing loss. The worst case was a former Lt. Colonel who had flown B-52's and B1-B's for many years, who was legally deaf from all his years of flying those beasts. He told me the same thing that you mentioned about the B1-B's, that they are unbelievably loud. He actually underwent cochlear implant surgery in both ears while he was still working for me and was able to regain some of his hearing. Not the highest, but still a high price to pay for serving your country!
Old February 7th, 2021, 07:48 AM

Wow , 5below this morning on my thermometer! I was in the Mich National Guard from 82-90. Went to Custer many times for drill though mostly to Camp Grayling. When I was there, there were still may old WWII barrick looking buildings. Actually we stayed in them. Rumors were they were used as housing for Japanese citizen holding in the war... I'm not sure of that.
Greg - Wow, -5, and I thought 11 was bad here this morning. That's brutal!

I have never heard of Ft. Custer being used as an internment facility for Japanese American citizens during WWII, but as a dark blot in American history, I'm sure if it did happen, it wasn't prominently recorded in local history. I have heard, and verified, that the huge Federal Center in Battle Creek, that was the Percy Jones Army Hospital during WWII, was used to treat higher ranking German Officers during the war, and that after they were well enough to be discharged they were held at Ft. Custer until after the war.
Old February 7th, 2021, 08:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Pretty out, supposed to be nice all day, but everything is still wet and muddy. Eh, the sun helps boost the mood.

Good time at the Awful house, didn't stay very long. Gonna take in Walmart now, get that over with.

I didn't know the Superbowl was today, I thought it was next week. I don't even know who's playing, except for some guy named Tom Brady. Why does he get an airport terminal named after him?

Work this week I'll be at my desk. We're off next Monday for Milk Day, I wish we could work and save the day for later.

Well Walmart is filling up as the minutes tick by. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old February 7th, 2021, 08:01 AM

Greg - Here's an excerpt from an article I just read about German POWs at Ft. Custer during WWII:

"The United States shipped 5,000 German prisoners of war to Fort Custer during World War II, according to John Anderson, secretary of the Fort Custer Historical Society."We had farmers here (in Michigan) who had no one to take care of the fields," Anderson said. "Someone had the idea of bringing the prisoners back to work on farms, and that's exactly what happened."

The Germans stayed at Fort Custer for roughly three years working area farms and living comparatively comfortable lives, Anderson said."
Old February 7th, 2021, 08:22 AM

Sorry couldn't resist
Old February 7th, 2021, 09:30 AM
Always room for one more

"What the f*ck happened to the Delta I used to know." Funny, I say that every day when I walk into work. Oddly enough, I work with a guy named Mo-Ron.

Old February 7th, 2021, 01:31 PM

Mike, the video was "Spose" to be a funny about getting the Germans and Japanese mixed up at Fort Custer
Old February 7th, 2021, 02:04 PM

I have one thing to say about the Super Bowl . . . GO CHIEFS!!! That's all I have to say about that!
Chris Gump
Old February 7th, 2021, 02:36 PM
Always room for one more

I know Jamesbo, I just thought that was a good line. Very poignant.

Turned out to be a nice day. Puttered around in the yard a little after I got back from Walmart. Gonna be a nice, quiet evening until bedtime.

Old February 7th, 2021, 02:52 PM

Chris, thanks for the WWII history in my neck of the woods. We had what were supposed to be army barracks here for about 60 years, that were converted into apartments until they finally dozed them, and built new apartments in their place. They were built just about the time that the war ended, and were never used by the military. My understanding of some of the German P.O.W.s was that many were used just as you indicated, on farms throughout the U.S. I believe that many elected to stay here after the war, and some went back home, saw the destruction of Germany, and came back here to live. I like the Chiefs, but I like Brady. It might boil down to the chances of me winning $$ in my pools.
Old February 7th, 2021, 03:33 PM

I like the Chiefs, but I like Brady. It might boil down to the chances of me winning $$ in my pools.
Dan - You're welcome for the Ft. Custer and other WWII history. Growing up in Michigan, and being a big U of M fan, I rooted for Brady to do well his first couple of years in the league. After awhile, the Patriot machine, including Belichick's stealing of signals, Brady's Deflategate, and Kraft's prostitutes really put a sour taste in my mouth for that organization. I'll be the 1st to claim Brady is the GOAT, but I'm not wishing him another Super Bowl victory. Got to go with my Missouri home boys all the way!!!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 7th, 2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old February 8th, 2021, 04:45 AM

Good morning guys,

Well, my Chiefs got a good old fashioned *** whoopin yesterday! They sure didn't look like the team I have been following all year, and Mr. Brady, well the old man lived up to his Greatest of All Time billing. The Bucs sure played with more passion the entire game, my hat is off to them..

Cold here this morning at 21, and we're supposed to get a few flurries this afternoon, with little to no accumulation. I've got a dentist appointment this morning at 0800 for a regular checkup and cleaning, not my favorite thing, and even less so in these times of the "Rona". Made it so early because I didn't want it taking up my whole day.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old February 8th, 2021, 05:05 AM

2above here at 7am. Just got another fill of propane Saturday, whew.. Super Bowl get together was fun, we had lots of good food. Boy , do I ever eat too much when stuff sits out, keep going back and getting just one more bite, over and over! Planning on going for another snowmobile ride today, we'll see. So far went about 600 miles this year, the most I ever went was 2 years ago -1300 miles. I could pass that this year. Chris that is interesting about Ft. Custer. It's funny how things you hear become "facts" in your mind. The other day we rode to Reedsburg dam. I told my buddy that was the dam that made Houghton Lake. We discussed how that didn't seem right as it is so far from Houghton Lake. Well he went on Wikipedia and found that Houghton Lake is actually a natural lake and Reedsburg Dam was made in the1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps to help control flooding from the Dead Stream. So I have been spreading false info!! Have a good Monday, guys.
Old February 8th, 2021, 05:19 AM

Having a BIG bowl of grits with lots of butter and chopped sausage. Yous guys that know how to spell Zamboni without looking it up don't know what you're missing

have a great day Olds friends

Old February 8th, 2021, 07:55 AM

Planning on going for another snowmobile ride today, we'll see. So far went about 600 miles this year, the most I ever went was 2 years ago -1300 miles. I could pass that this year.
Greg - It's nice that you live in an area with that many accessible, interconnected trails that you can go on longer rides like that. 1,300 miles is alot of mileage for a snowmobile. It's comparing apples to oranges, but the most miles I've put on my bikes in a season is a little over 8,900 a couple of years ago. Last year it was only about 6,900 because the weather didn't seem to cooperate as much, and some weekends when I normally would have been riding I had my car out at a show or cruise.

I knew my father-in-law lived fairly close to you but didn't look it up until today. He lives in Barryton off of Rt. 66 southwest of you about 40-minutes. They moved up there from St. Louis many years ago after retiring because his wife (my wife's stepmom) was originally from that area.

Have an enjoyable and safe ride if you decide to get out!
Old February 8th, 2021, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Having a BIG bowl of grits with lots of butter and chopped sausage. Yous guys that know how to spell Zamboni without looking it up don't know what you're missing

have a great day Olds friends
James - You're always cooking up some good sh%t! Those grits look mighty tasty!
Old February 8th, 2021, 09:28 AM

A bit chilly this morning, had a couple of inches of snow overnight, now showing 15" in the back yard. We are supposed to get another 6" by tomorrow morning. Probably will have a crappy drive home. Have to get a Covid test tomorrow, as I am scheduled for an upper G.I. (Endoscope) Thursday morning.
Old February 8th, 2021, 09:37 AM

A bit chilly this morning, had a couple of inches of snow overnight, now showing 15" in the back yard. We are supposed to get another 6" by tomorrow morning. Probably will have a crappy drive home. Have to get a Covid test tomorrow, as I am scheduled for an upper G.I. (Endoscope) Thursday morning.
Dan - You're starting to get some real accumulation. I hope the roads don't get too treacherous. I hope your tests go well.