The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2021, 04:59 AM

Most of the time, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Old January 1st, 2021, 05:34 AM

Chris, Better you than me

Ice storms in Atlanta turn into the roads into a bumper car ride
Old January 1st, 2021, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Better you than me
Ice storms in Atlanta turn into the roads into a bumper car ride
James - I can tell ya, ain't no better around this neck of the woods. Most think they can drive just like it was any other day. Just glad I don't have to make that drive into downtown St. Louis for work anymore.
Old January 1st, 2021, 06:31 AM

IMHO the New years day, traditional Blacked eyed peas are kinda bland. I've tried to step them up a bit cooking them in chicken stock with chopped onions When I was being drug up, we always put chow chow on them, Still do

Old January 1st, 2021, 06:45 AM

IMHO the New years day, traditional Blacked eyed peas are kinda bland. I've tried to step them up a bit cooking them in chicken stock with chopped onions When I was being drug up, we always put chow chow on them, Still do
My Grandma on my Mom's side, same one that had the huge garden and all the fruit trees, used to can Chow Chow. She made both mild and hot varieties. The hot was very hot, but I like it that way, even liked the hot as a young boy! Nobody could can fruits, vegetables, jams, jellies, pickles, chow chow, just about anything, like that woman could! She was the best cook I've ever personally known.
Old January 1st, 2021, 07:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone Happy New Year.

Rain this morning, but luckily it isn't freezing. I haven't been out yet to check for holes in things. For whatever reason I wanted to stay up until 12 but I ended up snoozing on the couch until a couple minutes before, when all hell broke loose. There'd been firecrackers and guns all night long, but at 12 was the grand finale. Lasted maybe 20 more minutes. Slept until almost 9 this morning.

Jamesbo why is it called steak of lean if it's all fat? And more importantly, who's Hector?

Okay gonna hit the road. Hanging out with some friends today. Hope this rain stops. Have a great day everyone.

Old January 1st, 2021, 07:53 AM

Mike, I really don't know but I would guess cause it's got sum small lean Meat in it

Hector was a Greek Hero It's and adage my mother used to use

According to Google it's and obsolete saying

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...ctor+was+a+pup
Old January 1st, 2021, 08:50 AM

Ham, Black eyed peas, turnip greens, fried pineapple

I hope it works [ prosperity]

Old January 1st, 2021, 09:02 AM

IMHO the New years day, traditional Blacked eyed peas are kinda bland. I've tried to step them up a bit cooking them in chicken stock with chopped onions
We use hot sausage to perk things up. There's a pot on the stove right now with this added for flavor and spice. It's what we use in all of our Cajun recipes as well.

Old January 1st, 2021, 09:36 AM

Chris, speaking of grand mothers canning. I have a letter from my uncle station in Burma during WW II, thanking my grandmother for the canned peaches and canned chicken she sent him. I have never seen caned chicken and have no idear how long it takes to ship from South Georgia to Burma but he lived to tell about it. She musta know what she was doing
Old January 1st, 2021, 10:21 AM

James - That’s quite a story. A miracle that glass jars could make it 1/2-way round the world without getting broken, especially back then. Only meat I can ever remember seeing my Grandma can was ham hocks. I think they may have been pickled??? I never tried one, they didn't look too appealing to me.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 1st, 2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 04:32 AM

Norm, I didn't want ta hijack the Music with a meaning thread. But I thought Robert Duvall's 1st movie role was Boo in "To kill a mocking bird"

Also When he's the chopper pilot in Nam surfing on the river/beach. If you watch closely, he's wearing 2 different Calvary hats. One has the brass cross swords and one has the cross swords patch on the front

Headed Norte after a funeral.

Have a wonderful year Olds friends
Old January 2nd, 2021, 04:57 AM

Pall Mall can't Spall
Old January 2nd, 2021, 05:43 AM

Not yet I've got my fingers crossed for sum werk as soon as the holidays are over and my main man's family settles down

Are you looking for some work?
Old January 2nd, 2021, 07:16 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had a nice time at the Awful house today. Nice day shaping up. I need to go over to the shop and do some things but after the rain yesterday, everything will be a mess.

Gonna do Walmart a day early because Tiger is out of food. I'll plan on it being an all afternoon affair. I'm really beginning to hate that place. I used to say I didn't hate it, but I resented it because of the amount of my money they got. But if I shopped at Publix I'd go broke. Really anymore I dread going to Walmart. A necessary evil.

Well I best do something. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old January 2nd, 2021, 04:54 PM

Good evening gentlemen,
I am absolutely beat! Started moving my daughter this morning at 0830 and just got home about 1730. We filled up 2 pickups, 3 good sized SUVs, and a 26-foot Uhaul and didn't get it all. We did hover get all the big stuff though and that was the main goal. Actually we probably got about 90% of everything. I'm going back tomorrow with my truck again, if I can get out of bed, to help get get some of the larger more fragile stuff like big screen TV and some large mirrors. Weather was pretty crappy for a move, 34 degrees and drizzling all day. Could have been much worse though, a couple degrees colder and we would have had a real mess! Sure could tell I ain't 20 anymore after today.

Wife finished up her laundry room project on New Years day. She built a folding table over the top of the washer and dryer. The section above the top load washer is on hinges with a fold down prop-up so the washer can be loaded/unloaded. The top of the folding table is made from some of the hardwood flooring we scavenged from our neighbors. She also built a box to store the dogs food in. The whole thing turned out really nice.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; January 2nd, 2021 at 05:32 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 04:56 PM

In Apocalypse Now, I did notice that the size of the crossed sword's on Duvalls hat were different, but I could not tell the difference in what they were made of. When I dropped rum ***** of at my buddies house today, he gave me this jacket:

Old January 2nd, 2021, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
In Apocalypse Now, I did notice that the size of the crossed sword's on Duvalls hat were different, but I could not tell the difference in what they were made of. When I dropped rum ***** of at my buddies house today, he gave me this jacket:
Dan - Sharp jacket!. Hasting's Manufacturing is located only 25-miles from where I grew up.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Sounds like your daughter got her money’s worth out of your tired old ****. The laundry looks great! I hear you in getting out of bed. My A$$ has been dragging finishing up this roof repair.

Dan - I finished up the last of my Bourbon ***** yesterday. Nice score on the jacket.

I began making a vanilla extract (12/16/20) with some nice vanilla beans I ordered online last month. Should be ready in ~7 months. I’m using ‘1795 Small Batch’ Bourbon for the extract.

The roof repair is effectively complete as of today. I need to caulk, prime, paint the new facia board, reinstall the gutter & downspout next week.
Norm- Glad you got your roof repaired. Looked like you did a high quality job on it. The vanilla extract looks interesting. I'll be sure and let the wife know about your compliment on the laundry room, thanks!
Old January 2nd, 2021, 07:56 PM
Always room for one more

Not a real productive day for me but I did get a few little things done. Was pretty out, Tiger played outside a lot, and he's been sleeping all evening. It's good for him.

Chris that is a great idea building a folding table for over the washer. Precious little room in a laundry room most times, finding more places to work can be a challenge. Nice use of the salvaged floor, it looks very rustic.

I think it's time to hit the sack. One more and it's back to normal, really normal. The work schedule is going back to 40 hours. We've been working 40 hours in our shop, but that was an exception. Now all of maintenance is going back, which is a good thing. Eh, worry about that in 21 hours.

Okay have a good night everyone.

Old January 2nd, 2021, 10:52 PM

Norm, that extract looks interesting. Those hats aren't too cheap are they? I like how they noticed the differences in the hats in the movie as well. I have the directors cut on dvd. I took about half of my rum ***** & dipped them in chocolate, then sprinkled toasted coconut flakes on them. I knew that if I didn't drop them off, they would be gone very soon.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 04:05 AM

So Norm, vodka and vanilla bean?

I gotta ax, what are you going to do with that much vanilla extract?
Old January 3rd, 2021, 04:51 AM

Dan, I love that jacket. I really liked the old 60's decals and the Hastings guy was a great one.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 07:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice out but chilly. Got my fingers crossed that it will warm up a little.

Norm that's a big funk. Not sure I know who a couple of those people are. Twelve ounces of extract? With all the baking my Mom used to do she'd get one of those little bottles from the store and it would last her all year.

A friend of mine I saw at the Awful house this morning gave Tiger a big ham bone. He'll be taken care of the rest of the day.

No plans for me. Maybe I'll take a bottle and spin it around and whatever it points to I'll mess with. If it warms up I've got a couple things I need to do outside. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old January 3rd, 2021, 12:24 PM

Norm, My mistake, I read about as good as I spell,

, Whatchcha gonna do with that much Vanilla. Extract?

Are ya opening a Bakery.? Baking Deserts for the Cast of Spartacus?

I know the home made is better and more pungent

So curios Instead of little bottles of the weaker, Ya got big jars of the stronger

Speaking of Baking, I read a recipe the other day for making biscuit using Sprite [ of all things] instead of Butter milk. I tweek home made biscuits constantly.. Naturally I had to give it a try. It makes a very light biscuit with no sweet flavor at all

Old January 3rd, 2021, 05:18 PM

Good evening guys,
More moving today, 11:00 to 17:30. Just my son-in-law and me today, not a small army of helpers like yesterday. We got any remaining heavy or bulky items. There are a few things left, but nothing they can't get in their spare time.

My wife had a nice dinner of northern white beans and ham with cornbread waiting when I got home. I stuffed myself and now I'm ready for a nap, or maybe a very early bedtime, I'm pooped!

Hope everyone had a great day!
Old January 3rd, 2021, 06:28 PM

I hope it's not too political to ax WTH my Olds friends are gonna do with their $600.00

I'm buying ammo
1/2 of my $600 going to annual Musky fishing trip, the other I believe I may purchase the conversion kit from vacuum to electric wipers for my Olds,
Old January 3rd, 2021, 06:54 PM

You Only Live Twice
Norm - I've seen most of the Bond movies several times, I love them, but for some unknown reason I don't think I've seen that one??? I looked it up to find out the basic plot and I really don't think I've seen it, weird! Just curious if you've seen any of the Daniel Craig Bond movies, and if so, what you think of them, and him in the role?
Old January 3rd, 2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:" I can see how a biscuit would become more fluffy & light using Sprite. Of course, there are several ways to increase the fluffiness of biscuits w/o Sprite - but I'm a sucker for a good buttermilk biscuit - yum"
I bake buttermilk biscuits almost every Sunday morning (at my wifes request ) I have tried almost every
conceivable recipe including the Sprite and Angel biscuit variants with mixed results even experimented with different flours, bread flower, cake flower etc... however I always go back to my original tried and true old southern style buttermilk biscuit recipe, however I may get kicked of the southern biscuit bakers blog by admitting I use salted butter in place of shortening I like the added richness and in my comparison test the butter was just as flakey ,the shortening seemed to produce a smell I didn't like,
I also do the traditional Black Eyed Pea thing on new years, I make soup with left over ham from Christmas (and the ham bone of course)
to spice it up a bit I add about 1/4 teaspoon cumin and a 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper along with the Trinity of carrots, celery, onions I set aside some of the peas and puree them with a little milk (I love thick soup) I just froze the last of the potato chowder and black eyed soup so I will have it through the cooler months.
One of my favorite breads to bake is Challah bread , large loaves (no bread pans needed it gets braided) and left overs make the best French Toast !!
Old January 3rd, 2021, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by solly
along with the Trinity of carrots, celery, onions
That is actually mirepoix. Trinity is onions, bell pepper, celery.
The things you learn growing up in south
Louisiana.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=solly;1306288]Quote:" I can see how a biscuit would become more fluffy & light using Sprite. Of course, there are several ways to increase the fluffiness of biscuits w/o Sprite - but I'm a sucker for a good buttermilk biscuit - yum"
I bake buttermilk biscuits almost every Sunday morning (at my wifes request ) I have tried almost every
conceivable recipe including the Sprite and Angel biscuit variants with mixed results even experimented with different flours, bread flower, cake flower etc... however I always go back to my original tried and true old southern style buttermilk biscuit recipe, however I may get kicked of the southern biscuit bakers blog by admitting I use salted butter in place of shortening I like the added richness and in my comparison test the butter was just as flakey ,the shortening seemed to produce a smell I didn't like,QUOTE]

I usually use butter milk Lard [ not Crisco] and also butter, After I roll out the dough, I roll it back up into a log with 1/3 pats of butter in 2 separate lines, Then turn the log 90 degrees and roll it out again, I like BIG biscuits so I cut them with a tin can
Old January 4th, 2021, 09:01 AM

Lard makes the best pie crust. I see that the IRS made a deposit into my bank account this a.m.
Old January 4th, 2021, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good start to the work week. Was in inspection today. I now work with a guy who is fresh out of class. You know that has a double meaning. This time I mean he just finished the inspection class and he can't sign anything. So he looks at the screen and has no idea what he's looking at, and I have to sign for it. I keep a close eye on what he's doing so we don't send flawed wheels back into the system. And yes he is also without class. That's another story.

Pretty today but cold. Supposed to be the same for a few days. Not sure I'll get anything done outside, I really despise cold anymore.

Got out of work a little early today so I went to see my doctor to renew my BP medicine. First thing he asks me, do you still go to Waffle House? I said, do you remember that from before or do you have it written in your notes? He said, both. At least he didn't bring up that I have diabetes again(because I don't). All in all though I like this doctor, he's young and down to earth and genuinely seems interested in my well being. Unlike my last doctor to whom I was simply a number.

The threads on Dawn Welles are now on my off limits list. It has degraded to mostly disparaging remarks about Ginger. My God! The woman is 86 years old. No one, with the possible exception of Barbara Eden, looks good at 86 years old. And besides who cares. How many beauty queens we got on the board? I'm guessing most of these old timers on here could make a freight train take a dirt road. Chris what was the other thread we decided not to follow? I forgot. Something that devolved into hurting dogs I thought.

Norm, what Bond movie is on tap for tonight? You get your flashing finished and everything painted? You want to watch a dippy movie that has big names in it? Pontiac Moon.

Okay time to clean up in the kitchen then get ready for bed. The pressure is off, Monday is over. If the rest of the week goes like today, I'll be happy. Have a good evening everyone.

Old January 4th, 2021, 04:37 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I didn't know Pontiac Moon was on Netflix. I was on there a few days ago and I didn't see it. Perhaps I can rewatch the movie this week and then over the weekend we can discuss it. I'd be interested to know what a non-Amphicar person thought of the movie.

Why do you call your doctor the 1 degree doctor? I suggested a friend of mine name her yet-unborn daughter Cassandra. She's a big fan of Elvira, and that's her real name. This after she turned down flat my first suggestion, Astrid.

Old January 4th, 2021, 04:52 PM

I can envision sometime in the next 200 years (if mankind lasts this long) where you can capture your poop in a jar yourself and send if off for screening w/o a prescription. I can envision households equipped with a very simple urinalysis machine which tests for general lab analyses (ketones, blood, sugar, color, specific gravity, etc.) and possibly a basic blood profile analyzer. Days of the warm finger will be long gone.
Yeah, and your insurance company will have access to this information and charge you accordingly.
Old January 4th, 2021, 07:06 PM

Mike - More examples of general scientific notation (parlance) used frequently in chemistry and experiments. You'll find many other forms are used by the medical community (e.g. shorthand prescription writing).

c̅ = with (e.g. c̅ isoleucine)
s̅ = without (e.g. s̅ isoleucine)
ā = ante (spins in the opposite direction - e.g. a molecule)
p̄ = post (after analysis)
Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Chris what was the other thread we decided not to follow? I forgot. Something that devolved into hurting dogs I thought.
Mike - That was the "What torques my shorts" thread. I had said the abuse of children and defenseless animals really upsets me, and the idiot (I do remember the name and won't forget it) that responded said why should we worry about dogs because they can defend themselves. I then suggested that we put him on the end of a chain or in a cage and see how well he could defend himself!
Old January 4th, 2021, 08:35 PM

For Christmas this year I refurbished and brought back to life a 120 year old hope chest for my youngest daughter and made a custom spice station for my middle daughter, feeling bag not having asked my oldest daughter what she would like me to do I asked her what would you like ! she said I would like you to re-do your mothers dressing table for me, ok I said , well its going to be a project !! it has no real value except that it was my mothers, she purchased it probably 40 years ago at a thrift shop it has 2 swing out arms that close to hide the chair under the table my mom adorned the arms with lace and painted it white. it's just pine.
Well let me explain , have any of you ever seen Flea Market Flip ? where they resurrect/ refurbish or reinvent flea market items,
I think this was one of their projects, I believe it started out life as something else ( don't know what) well I disassembled it to start stripping it and my belief is that while the inventor/hobbyist

had great ideas but his skills or tools were limited its pretty cobbled up and will present a challenge but will keep me out of the chair, so this is how my day started, stripping and sanding , finally got down to wood !!! its going to get new gusseted supports routered edges new sides and a new bottom , and of course a new finish probably in a stained slate gray. Good morning !! Ill start again in the morning as soon as I don't think the neighbors wont be annoyed by the sound of power tools,I like to work on the patio when the weather is this nice !!
Old January 5th, 2021, 05:17 AM

[QUOTE=Vintage Chief;1306537]Tomorrow morning I have my (either 2 year or 3 year) physical & blood draw urine lab workup. I haven't seen my 1° physician (for a medical appointment) for maybe 8-9 years, but I do look forward to seeing his FNP. Her name is Cassandra, she is 35 yrs of age. She began working at my 1° physician's office about 6-7 yrs ago. She is very bright, on top of her game, excellent personality and enjoys her occupation - we get along quite well - I think she may have two young children by now. And, she is quite attractive. At any rate, I generally try to add some irreverent humor to her day (my appointment is 8:30 am) since often times I'm sure her day is filled with mundane routine and emergency issues. I'll suggest she perform my prostate exam, rather than the PSA blood screen, get a coupon for me to poop in a bucket (I've done this twice now) & send it off for lab analysis (colorectal screening), and if she has time would she mind screening me for lower hernias. I'm sure this will brighten her day.

I can envision sometime in the next 200 years (if mankind lasts this long) where you can capture your poop in a jar yourself and send if off for screening w/o a prescription. I can envision households equipped with a very simple urinalysis machine which tests for general lab analyses (ketones, blood, sugar, color, specific gravity, etc.) and possibly a basic blood profile analyzer. Days of the warm finger will be long gone.[/QUOTE

I'm sure she will be thrilled

I'm trying to pay attention dis mawn'in. If you haven't been in 8/9 years and she's been there 7. How do you know her?

Did I mis sum'in?
]
Old January 5th, 2021, 05:27 AM

Hi Guys, (any gals on here?), yesterday a friend and I got our snowmobiles out and went about 40 miles. It was a great time First this year. He and another buddy have a 1998 Polaris Indy Trail Touring as I do..They are mostly identical, It's weird when we all go together -3 identical machines. Anyway we came upon a burnt out hulk on the state trail- quite a surprise! My friend said it was a ski doo and its the third incident he's seen of them burning up. Apparently the "parking brake" which is just a lever which locks the hand lever on, can be left on accidentally and drags. The rotor gets red hot which is next to a rubber gas line. The gas line melts, gas drips on hot rotor and there you go.... I'll try to post the pic...
Old January 5th, 2021, 05:37 AM

IHere they are.