The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Jamesbo - I'm assuming by your post you actually live on a lake or have a recreation property on one. You're a lucky dude! If I lived on a lake I'd be fishing almost everyday. Sorry to hear the lumber prices are skyrocketing though!

Slantflat - Sorry to hear you're continuing to get jerked around at work! Did that Lead ever work in your position prior to being a Lead. I've found that most Leads/Supervisors that have walked in their employees shoes are a lot less likely to be jerks, but not always, some were jerks from the day they were born.

Ok, I'm going to bite on this one. Jerry for the name of the Mercedes? Is there a good story here? I've had 2 people in the last couple of weeks ask me if I have named my car, and I've got nothing. For the life of me I can't think of anything catchy that fits.
Old August 20th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Always room for one more

The mower is still kaput but I worked on it for about a half hour. Now I have to wait a few days for all the blisters to heal on my hands. I think I'll just buy a new one.

Dream one person I told that to said it was derogatory. It's a German car and the WWII soldiers nickname for the Germans was "jerry." You've heard of a jerry can? This is a Jerry Car. One letter off. Apparently the Germans were the first ones to tote gasoline along with their vehicles. If it starts costing me a lot of money I'm going to name it Bill.

The lead I have now was in fact in the job I hold. Everyone who was there when he was a mech said he was quiet and slow. I also heard it took him four attempts to make lead, the last time he was the only one who applied. The lead no one likes, I'm not sure where he's from, but I don't believe he's ever worked on planes. He's more the yes-man administrator type.

Okay time for bed. I was in inspection today and I'll be there tomorrow. I don't care, really, it keeps me away from the clowns and it's good work.

Have a good night everyone.

Old August 20th, 2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
The mower is still kaput but I worked on it for about a half hour. Now I have to wait a few days for all the blisters to heal on my hands. I think I'll just buy a new one.

Dream one person I told that to said it was derogatory. It's a German car and the WWII soldiers nickname for the Germans was "jerry." You've heard of a jerry can? This is a Jerry Car. One letter off. Apparently the Germans were the first ones to tote gasoline along with their vehicles. If it starts costing me a lot of money I'm going to name it Bill.

The lead I have now was in fact in the job I hold. Everyone who was there when he was a mech said he was quiet and slow. I also heard it took him four attempts to make lead, the last time he was the only one who applied. The lead no one likes, I'm not sure where he's from, but I don't believe he's ever worked on planes. He's more the yes-man administrator type.

Okay time for bed. I was in inspection today and I'll be there tomorrow. I don't care, really, it keeps me away from the clowns and it's good work.

Have a good night everyone.
Slantflat - I've watched a 1000 WWII movies, I should have got the "Jerry" name. Sorry you have to put up with that jerk as your Lead. If you're lucky maybe he'll go elsewhere sooner than later.
Old August 21st, 2020, 03:51 AM

Norm, Back when the ark was still drying out, The World series was played during the day time. I can remember putting one of those radios in my jacket pocket, and sticking an ear piece in my ear to catch the Yankees playing during school. . [Not Ruth but Marris and Mantle and Berra]

" You can observe alot by watching"
Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 21st, 2020, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I think I'll order a pizza
Norm will think that's some funny $hit.
Old August 21st, 2020, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
. For the life of me I can't think of anything catchy that fits.
How about "Ol Blue?"
Old August 21st, 2020, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
How about "Ol Blue?"
Good Morning Olds Friends,
curvewrecker - Thanks for the suggestion of a name for my car. I actually did think of that name. To me that name immediately brings to mind what "Ralphie" named his trusted Daisy Red Ryder BB gun in the movie "The Christmas Story". Now you may be onto something here, because my first name is actually Ralph, although I go by my middle name of Chris (Christopher). I'll have to think some more on it and maybe some others will weigh in. The only others I've thought of are "Blue Betty Lou", in line with Bob Seger's, "Betty Lou's Getting Out Tonight", and "Aquawoman", since the Old's color name is Aquamarine.
Old August 21st, 2020, 06:54 AM

Norm, Back when the ark was still drying out, The World series was played during the day time. I can remember putting one of those radios in my jacket pocket, and sticking an ear piece in my ear to catch the Yankees playing during school. . [Not Ruth but Marris and Mantle and Berra]

" You can observe alot by watching"
Good Morning Again Olds Friends, I'm Back,
Jamesbo - Great story about sneaking the radio into the classroom to listen to the Yankees World Series games. Brought back a great memory for me. My first really strong memory of baseball was the 1968 World Series between the Tigers (I'm originally from MI) and the Cardinals. That was the year Denny McClain went 31 and 2. Our 4th grade teacher actually brought a tiny black and white tv into the classroom so we wouldn't miss the games. The girls hated it, the boys loved it. The Tigers were actually down 3 - 1 in that series and came back to win it.

No big plans for me today other than getting my yard mowed, and helping my daughter move some furniture from her house to ours in the late afternoon. I hope everyone has a day!
Old August 21st, 2020, 08:56 AM

Listened to the '68 World Series as well, while salmon fishing on the Manistee river, with my parents and brother. My mom always had a portable radio around for the sole purpose of listening to the Tigers when away from the TV. My first radio was a Panasonic transistor radio when I was about 10 or eleven years old, tried finding one like it on ebay a few years back with no success.
Old August 21st, 2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Listened to the '68 World Series as well, while salmon fishing on the Manistee river, with my parents and brother. My mom always had a portable radio around for the sole purpose of listening to the Tigers when away from the TV. My first radio was a Panasonic transistor radio when I was about 10 or eleven years old, tried finding one like it on ebay a few years back with no success.
Kaline, Cash, Northrup, Horton, McCalliff, Stanley, Wert, Freehan, Lolich, and McClain. Quite a team. We also went on a few Salmon fishing trips over on the Manistee. Back when it was still legal to snag with the heavy weighted treble hooks and heavy tackle. Not very sporting, but it would fill our freezer for a long time with great tasting salmon. We would also go over there "smelt dipping" when they'd run. Good times with Dad!
Old August 21st, 2020, 11:56 AM

Norm, These are my wife's hands Soooooooooooooooooooo vicariously I've been closer to this than you have
Old August 21st, 2020, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work is done for the week. Yay. Not a bad day. We got out around 1.

I don't have a baseball story. I was friends with a guy for awhile who lived for baseball, and now and then we'd drive downtown to Comisky Park and take in a White Sox game. I'm not a fan but it was cool being in the park and seeing the game in person. That all ended when they knocked the park down to build a new one. Comisky was the oldest park in the world(or at least the country). Tons of tax dollars were given to the team's owners and a whole neighborhood had to be relocated. Those people actually made out on the deal. But I've never been inside new Comisky Park, and I'm not friends with that guy anymore.

Jamesbo what is that trophy? And why isn't it blue?

Dream how about keeping it simple, Jade. Or be a little weird, Fogbert.

Been raining but it isn't now, not sure what to do. Tiger and I might run a couple errands. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Last edited by slantflat; August 21st, 2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old August 21st, 2020, 12:23 PM
Running On Empty

Bunser - That is some funny $HIT right there. It made me hungry for pizza.
James - I loved Yogi. I used to do the same with my radios in class with the ear plug.
Of course, having been born in Chicago & raised in the suburbs of Chicago, I was & still remain a die-hard Cubs fan; although, my second most favorite team was the Los Angeles Dodgers. Pizza Man Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams (I have a baseball he signed for me in 1965), Roberto Pena & Dick Bertell - GO CUBS!
I was working in NYC during the 2000 World Series between the Mets & Yankees. I did not attend any of the games. However, one of the greatest sporting spectacles I have ever witnessed occurred at Penn Station, NYC after one of the games (it may have been the final, I just don't recall). I had left my customer site in NYC and had to take a train out of Penn Station. At the station were something on the order of maybe 10,000 sports fans. Penn Station is large, I don't how many trains Penn Station has - Wikipedia shows 21 tracks, I think during large events they hold maybe 30 trains - on all the tracks - they double up some trains on some tracks heading to near same locations. Anyways, I'm looking at almost every single ethnic neighborhood of NYC directly in front of me. EVERYONE was having a great time as EVERYONE waited for the train track numbers to light up. The boards for all the tracks were completely blank as the engineers wrestled and nestled all of the trains onto the tracks and platforms for the boarding expedition. When those boards lit up you've never seen such a mad exodus of humans in your entire life. EVERYONE scrambling to get to their platform and train. What a phenomena.
Old August 21st, 2020, 12:55 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, These are my wife's hands Soooooooooooooooooooo vicariously I've been closer to this than you have
Isn't that the U.S. Amateur Championship trophy?
Old August 21st, 2020, 01:02 PM

Norm Yes and the Super model said neither of our names are on it

The guy that won dined where she works last nite
Old August 21st, 2020, 01:06 PM
Running On Empty

James - Very cool. Georgia Tech'sTyler Strafaci.
Old August 21st, 2020, 01:12 PM

Yep North Avenue vocational School wins the Havermeyer

Old August 21st, 2020, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Bunser - That is some funny $HIT right there. It made me hungry for pizza.
James - I loved Yogi. I used to do the same with my radios in class with the ear plug.
Of course, having been born in Chicago & raised in the suburbs of Chicago, I was & still remain a die-hard Cubs fan; although, my second most favorite team was the Los Angeles Dodgers. Pizza Man Ron Santo, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams (I have a baseball he signed for me in 1965), Roberto Pena & Dick Bertell - GO CUBS!
I was working in NYC during the 2000 World Series between the Mets & Yankees. I did not attend any of the games. However, one of the greatest sporting spectacles I have ever witnessed occurred at Penn Station, NYC after one of the games (it may have been the final, I just don't recall). I had left my customer site in NYC and had to take a train out of Penn Station. At the station were something on the order of maybe 10,000 sports fans. Penn Station is large, I don't how many trains Penn Station has - Wikipedia shows 21 tracks, I think during large events they hold maybe 30 trains - on all the tracks - they double up some trains on some tracks heading to near same locations. Anyways, I'm looking at almost every single ethnic neighborhood of NYC directly in front of me. EVERYONE was having a great time as EVERYONE waited for the train track numbers to light up. The boards for all the tracks were completely blank as the engineers wrestled and nestled all of the trains onto the tracks and platforms for the boarding expedition. When those boards lit up you've never seen such a mad exodus of humans in your entire life. EVERYONE scrambling to get to their platform and train. What a phenomena.
VC - Great Penn Station story, I'm sure that was quite the site! Ever since I've been in St. Louis, I had always wanted to see a Cards/Cubs series at Wrigley. Wife and I finally made it a few years ago when we went for a 3-day weekend series. Wrigley was awesome, and we rode the L-train from our hotel to the ballpark. We did the museum, aquarium, lakefront, and magnificent mile sites when we weren't at the ballgames. One of the most fun weekends I've ever had!

slatflat - Glad your work week is done! I'll consider those names you suggested! Hope you have a great weekend.

Mowed today so I'll be free to attend a car show over the weekend if I decide to go. Still got to move furniture for my daughter around 5. We're going to do pizza together at our place when we're done. Seriously, the "Black Olives Matter" post gave me the idea! Hope everyone has a great evening and weekend!
Old August 21st, 2020, 01:26 PM

I spoke to an Olds nut case that owned a bar rear near the ball park in Chicago [ had a warehouse full of Olds an was interested in my 69 H/0]

When I returned his call it was a mad house then his bar was suddenly empty. Wish I could remember his name. Nice guy
Old August 21st, 2020, 05:52 PM
Running On Empty

I just ordered a pizza for pickup - black olives, onions & sausage.
I basically don't eat hot dogs, when/if I do I'll get the Hebrew Kosher. I think the best hot dogs I've tasted anywhere are the Vienna Red Hots @ Wrigley Field. There was a place in Champaign-Urbana, IL (U of I) as an undergrad we'd go for hot dogs. A tiny place but killer hot dogs. I routinely would order their New York City Garbage Truck - essentially it had everything but the kitchen sink on that puppy - delicious.
Old August 21st, 2020, 06:33 PM

Got black olives, Italian sausage, and bacon on my pizza tonight and it mattered! We got the furniture moved without anyone getting hurt and nothing damaged, that's always a big time win! In the span of two hours while they were here, my two grandsons (7 and 2) wore me out. My daughter's getting some new furniture and my wife wanted her old couch and recliner for the woman cave she's creating in our basement, along with her woodshop. My wife has chosen woodworking of all things for a retirement hobby. More power to her I say! She has picked up a radial arm saw, table saw, band saw, reciprocating saw, drill press and router along with the usual assortment of hand power tools. I have to admit she's already a better carpenter than me.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:18 AM

All this talk flung a cravin on me for a pizza. I like mine with fuzzy fish

Speaking of fuzzy fish [anchovies] My dad not most EVERY Sunday night [after my mother had fixed Sunday lunch] had for his evening meal Sardines, soda crackers, anchovies and sweet pickles
I'm sure he didn't care how healthy it really was

Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:44 AM
Running On Empty

James - Was your Dad in the Navy? My dad loved sardines and soda crackers. He told me they ate it all the time on ship during WWII. Actually, sardines are very healthy as a food source.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:09 AM

Jamesbo & VC - I never acquired a taste for anchovies or sardines. I did however acquire a taste from my Dad for creamed herring. I can't stand the pickled kind, just the creamed.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:21 AM
Running On Empty

I love either creamed or pickled Herring.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Nice day but wet from yesterday's rain. The rain flushed something out and now Tiger wants to go out about every 5 minutes to check it out. Probably a ground squirrel trying to hide in the concrete pile.

The only odd food habits I acquired from my Dad were chili on crackers with grape jelly and brown sugar on rice. I wouldn't eat Spam on a bet and I don't like fish.

The plan so far, is to get a battery for the convertible and see if I can get it fired up. Pizza is going to figure into the day somehow.

Long past time to be getting going. Didn't get to sleep in because I kept getting woke up, so instead I've been wasting time on the computer surfing Wikipedia.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:41 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

Morning olds Friends
Carb Day! Got a trickle at idle
always fun doing that 6-7 times to get it right.
Enjoy your Day
Pizza Pizza 🍕 Sounds Good

Are these Factory lug nuts?? I always thought so

Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:59 AM
Running On Empty

Not sure if they’re factory lug nuts, but I’m not sure if mine are factory lug nuts. Mine are very similar to your image but mine are flat on top unlike your rounded dome tops. I have SSI wheels. Factory may have installed different lug nuts for various models and wheel types quite possibly.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 08:47 AM

Hope everyone is having a great morning,
Slantflat - Good luck with the battery search and getting your convertible going.
JOHNNYOLDS442 - Good luck with the carb adjustment.
No car show for me today, decided to go to the one tomorrow. Going with my wife to Harbor Freight and Lowes this afternoon to pick up some things she needs. I can always find something I think I need at Harbor Freight.
Curious what you guys carry in your classic cars for a jack. I have an OEM jack for appearance in my trunk, but there's no way I'm ever going to use it on my bumpers. Right now I'm hauling around my floor jack in a box for lack of anything better. Wondering if a decent bottle jack wouldn't work just as well, be easier in and out, and take up a lot less space? Wondering even if I carry a couple pieces of 2x8 to put under the bottle jack before starting the lift, whether it will lift a particular corner high enough to take off a wheel? Any thoughts?
Have a great Olds day!

Old August 22nd, 2020, 09:11 AM

My wife says, " I don't like fishy fish " fish are supposed to taste fishy. Just like peanut butter tastes like peanuts
norm, yes he was in the navy during ww II
I like all fish ( cream and marinade herring) about the only one I don't eat is tilapia. Amberjack is my favorite
Old August 22nd, 2020, 09:49 AM
Running On Empty

I hate Tilapia. I don’t consider it a fish.

Dream - I owned a 67 4-4-2 (1969 - 1973) & a 72 4-4-2 (1975 - 1982). I’ve changed blowouts on both cars with the bumper jack with no issues whatsoever. They work just fine. I carry the OEM jack mounted in my trunk. That’s all. Be sure you have the rubber bumper guard on your jack so as not to scratch your bumper & it also provides some solid force against the bumper so it remains in place while jacking. I have no issues using the OEM jack. I also have full roadside assistance which includes tire changes should I need it. There’s no way I’m sacrificing space for another jack which takes up space where my golf clubs reside!
Old August 22nd, 2020, 09:57 AM
Running On Empty

An issue w/ owning chainsaws is your neighbors know you own chainsaws. I’m falling a small 25’ Pecan tree at 2PM for one such neighbor.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 10:33 AM

Bumper sticker

Yes this is my truck
No I won't help you move
Old August 22nd, 2020, 10:37 AM
Running On Empty

Bumper sticker

Yes this is my truck
No I won't help you move
That’s the truth.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 10:42 AM

VC - Thanks for the jack tip. To be honest, I have never looked closely at the OEM jack that came with the car. With essentially brand new chrome on my bumpers, my mind went immediately to I'm not using that jack. I'll give it another look based on your advice. You guys be careful taking that tree down!
Old August 22nd, 2020, 10:48 AM
Always room for one more

Norm if those are the original wheels (14") you have SSII wheels painted body color. If they are 15" they are SSIII. SSI wheels are the 5 spoke Magnum looking wheels that Chevelles have. I've got those for my convertible. Do you get to keep some of the wood from the tree? Pecan burns nice.

Dream the factory jack was probably fine for the first 20 years, but the metal post the ratchet rides on is probably rusted and would snap in half when trying to lift half a 4000lb car. Also, I always thought if it took me more than 2 minutes with the car on the jack my frame would bend. Don't know if it would but that's what I thought. Bottle jack and wood are my vote. I keep a floor jack in the car I'm driving. Yes it takes up a lot of room.

The battery place I like going to is closed so I got the battery out of another car and after a quick break I'll slap that puppy in. I need to look up convertible top stuff in the maintenance manual. My top goes down but won't go back up. The motor is full but the lines are clear. I wonder if the whole system needs to have fluid with no air or if it continually bleeds when it's operating.

Old August 22nd, 2020, 11:50 AM

Mike, I hate to disagree with ya But. SS II and III are the same wheel, The III are body color and the II are argent

With out getting into the gradations of snap on verses bolt on centers and the rare 15" bolt on center II

The SS I remind me more of a cross between Buick Granny Sport wheel and a Chevy wheel.

Alot of people hate this article but it's the only one I could easily find
http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/superstock.htm

The ones I have personally played with [in my possessio]\ 14" bolt on SS II, 15" Bolt on centers,SS II, !5" H/O and 15" SS II with snap on centers
Old August 22nd, 2020, 01:40 PM
Running On Empty

For reasons I do not understand, I thought I had typed I had SSII wheels, but I can see I typed SSI wheels. Often times I fat-finger when typing on my iPhone which is where I typed that message post. I'll address this later if I feel like it. Right now, my A$$ is dragging from working outdoors all day. Then, with the Huskie in hand, I headed to the neighbors for tree falling. Well, I think the damn clutch is going out on my chain-saw. It took forever to fall the tree, and the chainsaw is running like a frickin' dog with diarrhea. I'm calling it quits for the day. I believe I'll head over to the club driving range to vent my hostilities.

EDIT: With any luck it will start raining as soon as I get to the club.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 22nd, 2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 02:38 PM

Norm, I can certainly identity with phat phingers and I'm not very good at enlarging photos
But, It looks to me that your Cutti has SS III [being body color SS II]
Old August 22nd, 2020, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm if those are the original wheels (14") you have SSII wheels painted body color. If they are 15" they are SSIII. SSI wheels are the 5 spoke Magnum looking wheels that Chevelles have. I've got those for my convertible. Do you get to keep some of the wood from the tree? Pecan burns nice.

Dream the factory jack was probably fine for the first 20 years, but the metal post the ratchet rides on is probably rusted and would snap in half when trying to lift half a 4000lb car. Also, I always thought if it took me more than 2 minutes with the car on the jack my frame would bend. Don't know if it would but that's what I thought. Bottle jack and wood are my vote. I keep a floor jack in the car I'm driving. Yes it takes up a lot of room.

The battery place I like going to is closed so I got the battery out of another car and after a quick break I'll slap that puppy in. I need to look up convertible top stuff in the maintenance manual. My top goes down but won't go back up. The motor is full but the lines are clear. I wonder if the whole system needs to have fluid with no air or if it continually bleeds when it's operating.
Slantflat & VC - 1st pic is of the jack that came with my car. Very little rust on any of the components and the ratcheting mechanism works fine. However, there is no rubber bumper/pad on the jaw that contacts the bumper. I think I'm going to keep it relegated to decoration status. Included a 2nd pic of my trunk bay. I don't have a crapload of stuff in there and I won't be hauling any golf clubs like VC. In the trunk I have extra fluids (just in case), two pieces of 2x10 as a stable base for the floor jack, portable tool set (black box), lawn chair, a breaker bar with the correct thin walled socket for the lugs on my aluminum wheels, and and extra set of lug nuts and correct socket for the steel SS1 spare. I don't think it looks too cluttered, and I'll take convenience over originality when it comes to on-the-road repairs.

slantflat - Sorry your battery store was closed. Good luck getting the vert started and getting the roof to operate properly.

Going to enter my car in a show in Arnold, MO tomorrow. It is only about 10-miles from me. It is a charity show for a little boy who has Cystic Fibrosis. It's being held at.the Arnold, VFW. It will be the 1st show I've entered my car in. It should be fun! Hope everyone has a great evening!