The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2020, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
It appears Louisiana is going to have their ***** handed to them next week. WTF!!!

Not sure if John is at home in the swamp or in his 2nd home in the Georgia mountains, Mike have you heard from him lately?
Old August 23rd, 2020, 10:57 AM
Always room for one more

This has got to be some sort of record. We went through a whole page in one day. It wasn't all that long ago we routinely would go through a page every other day or so. Wow.

Jamesbo I've been emailing John to see if he'd get me something off Amazon. He's in da swamp. Though he might be back up here quicker than he planned. There's two storms that might collide in the gulf and then everyone is screwed.

So remember back in February we were discussing Liz Brewer and her dancing videos. I've got that page noted, page 747. I can't stand that song Hang On Sloopy so I watch the first one over and over again. I can't get enough. It's only a 2 minute video but after watching it a dozen times that's like a half hour. Sheesh.

There's an orange Blazer in Hamilton, AL, looks real nice for around 12K. It's a 72 I think. Saw it on FBMarketplace. Hamilton is 44 minutes from Tupelo, MS. Fly in and drive home. I'll go with.

Greg, how you doing with the truck?

Old August 23rd, 2020, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Thanks Jamesbo - I set them 4corners of the frame seems like a little much hanging in front but felt stable. First time taking the wheels off I am happy with how clean the under carriage is and really solid, not rusty at all. Think I will be looking at new front caliper pads, not sure if my Napa still does re-surface for the rotors or not, something to work toward.

Nice looking K5. A guy here in town has a nice 4x2 3/4t 1979 Bonnanza two tone White/Green he looking for around 2k. Been sitting a while and would need a good going through... tempting but not much room left at the Inn
Old August 23rd, 2020, 12:08 PM

A little help on the SSI,SSII & SSIII wheels. http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/superstock.htm
Old August 23rd, 2020, 12:47 PM

Otto, I want one with the removable hard top. I'm pretty sure the 79 has the permanent cab top
Old August 23rd, 2020, 03:09 PM

Norm, If I had to guess, I'd say the 14" bolt on center cap in your trunk came with the car. Somebody along the line wanted bigger tire/wheels and couldn't find bolt on 15: wheels and put the 15: snap on centers on
That is exactly how my car is. I bought 2 sets of 15" SSIII with snap-on center caps but I was too cheap to buy a 5th tire and just left the 14" that has never been on the ground in the trunk as the spare. Maybe one day when I have too much money and don't know what to do with it all I will buy a 5th 15" tire , have it mounted, and replace the 14" spare in the trunk. Yeah, one day when I have too much money...

FWIW, there are 2 different spare tire instruction stickers and tie downs depending on whether or not you leave thee center caps on the spare.
I knew about the different instructions for the "specialty wheel" (aka SS1, SSII, SSIII) vs the regular wheel but I have never seen an instruction for cap on vs cap off.

As far as all the wheel talk, the wheels on Norm's car are 80s-era with the spokes painted body color. My car currently has a set of 75-77 15x7 SSIII snap-in center cap wheels that replaced the factory 14x7 SSIII wheels that were on it when I bought the car last century.

14" and 15" SSIII wheels with 245-60 tires from my car. Not really a big difference in appearance even to an Olds enthusiast, much less for an average person.

Last edited by Fun71; August 23rd, 2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 03:16 PM

It appears Louisiana is going to have their ***** handed to them next week. WTF!!!
Yeah, my family and the wife's family all live in south Louisiana and are preparing to bug out. For whatever reason no one wants to come and stay with us here in Phoenix.

Old August 23rd, 2020, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yeah, my family and the wife's family all live in south Louisiana and are preparing to bug out. For whatever reason no one wants to come and stay with us here in Phoenix.

Hi guys,
I was going to start out complaining about the weather, but maybe I shouldn't. Wow, what a lot of traffic here today. All the wheel discussion was making my head spin, or that could just be the heat stroke.

I went to that car show today, and entered my car in it's first show. The weatherman blew the forecast and it ended up being 5 degrees warmer than forecast, 95 degrees with a "real feel" temp of 105. It was a long, hot day from 0900 until 1600. I think everyone was itching to get their cars out and there were a bunch of really, really nice high end cars there. Conservatively I'd say there were at least 150 cars of all kinds. There were only 4 Oldsmobiles. My 67 CS 442, a 67 CS, a 71 CS convertible, and a later model CS I didn't take a pic of. I didn't place in the top 35, but it was still fun, just a little warm. Going to try to upload some pics, first a couple of my blue 442, then other Olds, then a few of what I thought were some of the sharpest cars there. Hope you enjoy the pics!

My 67 CS 442

My 67 CS 442

67 CS - Original survivor, only 16K actual miles. Really nice.

Motor bay of 67 CS above.

71 CS Vert - pretty darn nice.

Same 71 CS Vert as above

41 ****** - Thought this car was the sharpest one there but it didn't win best if show.

66 Chevelle SS - This car won best of show. It was awesome, especially the motor, but too much restomod for me.

Motor on the 66 Chevelle SS.

This describes the carnin the next two picks. I believe it was a 63 Dodge Polara converible with a 426 Max Wedge in it. Really sharp car.

63 Dodge Polara convertible

426 Max Wedge in the 63 Dodge Polara

Beautiful 66 Vette convertible with 427 in it
Old August 23rd, 2020, 06:08 PM

Mike, truck is on the road, been using it whenever I go on errands, etc. Thanks for asking. Took Olds on a abbreviated US27 Motor Tour. was a great time. Car did excellent Top down all 3 days. Beautiful weather.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Mike, truck is on the road, been using it whenever I go on errands, etc. Thanks for asking. Took Olds on a abbreviated US27 Motor Tour. was a great time. Car did excellent Top down all 3 days. Beautiful weather.
Greg - Great you could get your Olds out on a 3-day Motor Tour and that you had great weather! I miss the Michigan summers, but I sure don't miss the winters.
Old August 24th, 2020, 05:15 AM

I think John, [Down in the Big Easy\ sent us some of his wet stuff I'm sure he's got plenty to share

Thanks for the car show pics

You newer guys didn't have the pleasure of knowing our dear friend Sandy. She lost her long battle with cancer a few years ago. I don't think she ever missed a car show anywhere near her and often posted picsI thought of her when you posted

Mike, I've lost track of time Do you remember when Sandy and Larry and John and his better half all met in Hotlanta?

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 24th, 2020, 05:42 AM

I think John, [Down in the Big Easy\ sent us some of his wet stuff I'm sure he's got plenty to share

Thanks for the car show pics

You newer guys didn't have the pleasure of knowing our dear friend Sandy. She lost her long battle with cancer a few years ago. I don't think she ever missed a car show anywhere near her and often posted picsI thought of her when you posted

Mike, I've lost track of time Do you remember when Sandy and Larry and John and his better half all met in Hotlanta?

Good morning Olds friends,
Jamesbo - You're welcome for the car show pics. I'm glad they brought back fond memories of your friend Sandy. Wish I'd been around longer to have gotten to know her, sounds like she was a nice lady.

No big plans today. Have to make a run to Sam's Club later this morning, we're out of a lot of staples. I hate shopping, especially in the age of "Rona"! I hope everyone has a great day!
Old August 24th, 2020, 06:09 AM
Running On Empty

It was just about the time I joined CO I caught a couple threads/posts of several members discussing Sandy's passing. I enjoy most car shows. The largest I've ever attended has been the Iola Car Show in WI. I attended Iola for several years. Great show with a significant amount of wet stuff.
Speaking of wet stuff, Marco has been downgraded but will still skirt the Louisiana border bringing plenty of rain; and, then Laura which is expected to remain at hurricane status is expected to bring significantly more rain directly (2 days) after Marco departs the area. Holy fart knockers it is humid outdoors. I'm going to ride instead of walking 18 today.
Old August 24th, 2020, 06:40 AM

Biloxi , Mississippi

Old August 24th, 2020, 06:50 AM

Norm, They [Sandi er al] came to Atlanta several years before she passed
I met John and his better half before them . We had a repast of Fried chicken in the mountains [He's a fried chicken aficionado]
Old August 24th, 2020, 06:50 AM

Biloxi , Mississippi
That's insane and spooky as hell!
Old August 24th, 2020, 08:34 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

A few minutes before lunch is over so I thought I'd chime in early. As I suspected, there was no one to help in inspection and my lead isn't even here, so guess where I am for the day. Eh, the inspectors like me the best anyway so what can I do?

Jamesbo it was October of 2013 we all met at The Fox. Sandy was in town over her birthday and had a fit about going to the Walking Dead in Senoia. She loved that show. For those who missed it, we met at the Fabulous Fox Theater and toured the place. Incredible is a good word to describe it. Then we went to Mary Mac's Tea Room for lunch, I think Jamesbo has a stake in it, and were treated to traditional Southern Hospitality. Then we went to the zoo and saw the Cyclorama. The Cyclorama is a huge mural about the Civil War. That day was when I met Jamesbo and John and Sandy and Larry for the first time. Great day. Wish we could do it again. Jamesbo do you still see Nicole on facebook?

Ah lunch is over and no one is back. I'll get started anyway. See you's all a little later.

Old August 24th, 2020, 09:36 AM

Mike, With all the talk about Sandy, I went back an read some old threads

We REALLY had a good time

I wish I could remember the name of the Ferrari service guy who I went to visit. He didn't stay with us long
Old August 24th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Running On Empty

Biloxi , Mississippi
I love that picture. It reminds of the days when I resided North of Clearwater, FL. I fished for reds in the oyster flats & weekly for grouper on the rock piles between ~10 miles to 40 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico. I've seen those sites many times and they're super easy to navigate around.
Old August 24th, 2020, 01:16 PM

I just saw this in the news and it made me think of when we were discussing noodling for catfish. This is EXACTLY why I never did that!

Old August 24th, 2020, 01:22 PM

Fun 71, There are probably more than one Noodler with the nickname Nub
Old August 24th, 2020, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Left work a little late, as I wasn't finished with what I was doing. Then made the mistake of reading a memo from the EVP of Maintenance that was so inappropriate I've been stewing about it all afternoon. I'm seriously considering calling in to work tomorrow I'm that horrified.

But to make the day better I went to Walmart, which in and of itself usually makes the day much worse, and what did I run across but Tim Tams. These are chocolate cookies that I get in Australia. So I got a bunch.

Jamesbo I don't remember a Ferrari service guy. He must have been here on the first iteration of the Good Morning thread. I came along a few pages into the current iteration.

Sandy. And her fan in the middle of winter. And her obsession with her car. And all of Nicole's drama. Seems so long ago. And don't forget Blue Vista.

I think I'll pass on the turtle noodling.

Well I'm done with my supper already, think I might sit and watch some Seinfeld reruns. It's just starting to spit rain a little bit. Yuck.

Old August 24th, 2020, 03:30 PM

Slantflat - Maybe your co-workers will be just as horrified with the Memo as you were and there'll be some significant backlash on the idiot that wrote it. Don't let it ruin your week, it's not worth it!

Tim Tams huh, I'm going to have to google those. I never met a cookie I didn't like! Also going to check out the Walmart near me.to see if they have them. You went to Walmart, my wife and I went to Sam's Club. I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't very busy. Pretty boring day when the most exciting thing was a trip to Sam's Club. I was supposed to go visit a buddy on Wednesday to help him hang some body panels on an early 70's Dodge Ram Quad Cab Dually he's restoring. We've put that on hold because it was 100-degrees today in the metal outbuilding he's storing the truck in. Too damn hot and humid to anything outside and it is supposed to stay that way all week.
Hope everyone has a nice and relaxing evening!
Old August 24th, 2020, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

Mike, Mike, Mike - Unless you meant it rhetorically, no one goes noodling for snapping turtles - no one. We noodle for catfish. Kenneth does not noodle. I probably should have never been noodling, but I will say when I did noodle I wore a thick condom.
Old August 24th, 2020, 03:43 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Liz Brewer has nothing on this gal.

Old August 24th, 2020, 05:10 PM

Mike, Mike, Mike - Unless you meant it rhetorically, no one goes noodling for snapping turtles - no one.
Not on purpose, anyway.
Old August 24th, 2020, 09:20 PM

100lb snappin' turtle, no thanks. And WTF! that gal noodling, jeesh. Speaking of snapping turtles, my mom used to talk about the time when my older brother was about 5 years old, and took a baby snapping turtle into the bathtub with him. Lucky for him he isn't a eunuch.
Old August 25th, 2020, 03:00 AM

Mike, I occasionally see Nicole on FB, Mostly I read alot of wagging tongues about politics

Not to change the subject from snapping turtles but

Old August 25th, 2020, 04:35 AM
Running On Empty

James - I am speechless. Glad to see her expressing her rights.
Speaking of big, I suspect South bound Interstate lanes may change to North bound lanes later today.

Old August 25th, 2020, 05:06 AM

Good morning. I tried to help a friend get two junk vehicles moved off of his property. I managed to get the four cylinder Cherokee running and moving, but the 5.0 explorer was a lost cause and had to be dragged out on a strap.

Have a great day fellas.
Old August 25th, 2020, 05:28 AM

Norm, It's called a Piece full protest

Maybe some of the wild pigs that dig up John's yard will drown
Old August 25th, 2020, 06:10 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, It's called a Piece full protest
Ya think she’s a noodler?
Old August 25th, 2020, 06:10 AM

Good morning Olds friends,

I didn't post much last night, we were busy grooming our dogs' nails. I'm the human vice that has to try to hold onto a 60lb. bulldog while my wife clips and grinds their nails. Let me tell you, they don't like it one bit! When we're finally done my wife has the audacity to say, I don't like doing that, I'm afraid I'm going to hurt them. Meanwhile, I'm standing there dripping with sweat after wrestling the beasts!

Jamesbo - That gal has a platform I could really get onboard with!

No big plans again today. Going out to the garage in a few minutes to clean the brake dust off the wheels on my Olds before it gets too hot out. I'm also getting the itch to get out on one of my bikes, even if I just go cruising around locally for a few hours.
Have a great day guys!
Old August 25th, 2020, 06:13 AM
Running On Empty

Clean the brake dust off the wheels? I want your job!
Old August 25th, 2020, 06:21 AM

VC - With this "retirement gig", I have to find something productive to do with my time! My car may never win anything at a show, but it won't be because it isn't clean. Force of habit I guess, my Dad always made us take care of our machinery. Guess I should have added I'll need to mow again today!
Old August 25th, 2020, 08:09 AM

VC - I feel better now, all nice and shiny and ready for the next outing. Didn't take too long, secret detailing tip, baby wet wipes work great and less mess!

Old August 25th, 2020, 08:29 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

Morning all,
Sent carb to Rebuilder.
soaking in Alkali
Never heard of it.
Was told by rebuilder.

Old August 25th, 2020, 08:56 AM

Looks like Laura is going to make landfall at the exact same location that Rita came ashore. That really devastated the communities in SW LA, especially the coastal towns. My Mom's house didn't get fully put back together for over 5 years after that one.
Old August 25th, 2020, 09:05 AM

Fun71 - If you still have relatives in that area I hope Laura is not too tough on them. It's tough worrying about family when you know the hammer's about to drop.
Old August 25th, 2020, 09:39 AM

Both my wife and I have lots of family there. My family bugged out for Natchitoches but the wife's family is gonna ride the storm out.