The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2020, 03:34 PM
Always room for one more

Okay Jamesbo thanks for the article. I had things a little askew. I thought the 15" wheels were a different version. And everything I've ever read about the 1970 442 Pace Car said it had SSII wheels painted body color. Weird. So Norm, it looks like you have SSIII. Congratulations.

Not a lot of luck with the convertible today. Got a known good battery put in and hooked up the battery charger. My favorite trick is to crank the hell out of the motor until the battery is dead. I'm not always the brightest. So it cranked and cranked, wouldn't start. Didn't have any starting fluid so I poured a little gas down the carb. It fired right up and ran great for about 10 seconds. Went to do a little more gas and saw gas dripping out of every seam of the carb. Tapped the carb body with a hammer in case the float was stuck, didn't help. So that's it for me. I'll have a buddy of mine rebuild the carb for me. I don't speak Quadrajet. Also need to drain the tank, no telling how many years old that gas is.

In between waiting for the battery I finished removing the back seat. Just like Johnny said, two bolts at the bottom and the top lifts off its hooks. Next up are the arm rests and side panels.

Now it's time for pizza. Think I'll pop in a movie tonight. Ah, some day I'll have plans for a Saturday.

Last edited by slantflat; August 22nd, 2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 04:42 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - The wheels on my CS are 15" painted same as car body, with snap-in center caps . Those are SSIII? Is that a good thing? The wheel in my trunk is a 14" w/ bolt-on center cap - I removed the center cap. Why would I need a bolt-on center cap for a spare tire? The spare wheel looks identical to the four on the car, painted same as car but a 14" with bolt-on center cap. I don't care if it's a 14". As long as I have a spare to get me to the nearest garage/service station/tire shop or whatever to fix the tire I'm good.

Falling the Pecan tree turned out to be a real fiasco. I have really beat that Huskie chain saw the past couple of years and last year I'd say I really beat on it good taking down that 65' Ash tree. I think the clutch is going out - that's all I can figure - it's bogging down terribly and can barely cut butter. I think it's the clutch. I am really clueless. It has a clutch doesn't it? I don't know if I want to take the time to fix it myself or drop it off at the small engine repair facility. I'll probably read the manual, read the parts page, view some YouTube videos and decide if I want to tear it down before I decide if I'm taking it to the small engine repair facility.

Dream - You are missing the thick hard protective rubber on your bumper jack which protects your bumper when you jack the car. The long thick hard protective rubber has a hard rubber prong which snaps into that hole you see on your bumper jack. That hole is where the long thick hard protective rubber prong snaps into the bumper jack to hold the long thick hard protective rubber secure to the bumper jack. I think they sell them on ILT.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 05:24 PM

VC - Excuse my ignorance, but what site is ILT? I googled it but couldn't find an automotive site with that acronym? Thanks for the help.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

InLineTube

Here's the link to the Oldsmobile Catalog:

http://online.flipbuilder.com/wmmk/nfjp/
Old August 22nd, 2020, 05:33 PM
Running On Empty

Dream - Page 180, Part #INL11111

http://online.flipbuilder.com/wmmk/nfjp/#p=180
Old August 22nd, 2020, 05:37 PM
Running On Empty

Dream - I just looked at your jack stand bumper metal lift hook. I don't think you have the correct bumper jack for your car. You have a Cutlass don't you? That metal lift hook is too small. You need the longer metal lift hook.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 05:40 PM
Running On Empty

Dream - This is the correct size metal lift hook for the Cutlass, 442.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...pleted-131906/
Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:01 PM

Dream, I'm quite sure that is not the right jack for your car....
Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:05 PM

VC - Thanks so much for doing all that leg work! I had just gotten out of the ILT catalog where I viewed the jack pad on p.179 and didn't think the pic of the jack looked right. After I got back here I saw all your other responses. You're correct I have a 67 CS 442. Looks like my jack really is just a decoration! Thanks for definitively figuring that out for me before I bought the pad. I'm not really bummed about it, it's not like I have a high end show car, and there are already a whole lot of mods to it that are not OEM. Thanks again, you guys are such great resources!!!
Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Dream, I'm quite sure that is not the right jack for your car....
Thanks Greg, appreciate the response. Just going to continue to carry my floor jack with me when I take the car out, not a big deal. Probably quicker and safer to use the floor jack anyway if I ever do have a flat.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:12 PM
Always room for one more

So you guys remember back in the dark ages when DVDs were just coming about? There were several tips and tricks one could do to get your disc to play better. I need some of those tips. I'm trying to watch a disc and it keeps jamming up. The screen just freezes and the machine makes funny electronic noises. By doing fast forward and pause and stop and whatever else I can get it to advance a few frames but it always hangs. I can't see any scratches or dirt on the disc itself, maybe a bad re-record from whatever the original format was? I got this from Amazon or similar some years ago. It was supposed to be new. Who knows. And there's no way to advance it to see if the rest of it is okay. Can't ever get past the beginning with the problems.

Norm who the hell knows what wheels you have. I guess you'd have to peruse Jamesbo's article. Add to the mix SSIV which don't look a thing like the others, and the late 70s ones for the Delta 88 with the wide center caps. Your car is very nice and the wheels look very nice. Let's call them SSN. N for Norm.

That might be your right jack, Dream, remember the 67 bumper is shaped different than the 70-72 like in Norm's pictures. Yours actually looks like the jack in my 68 Valiant.

Ah, pizza tonight and I guess I'll watch Starsky and Hutch. Can't go wrong with them. Tiger grabbed my pop bottle and chewed it to bits. Hope he didn't swallow any of it. I always know when I have too much money because Tiger gets some malady and has to go to the vet.

Okay have a good evening eveyrone.

Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:38 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - The easiest method to troubleshoot your DVD and player is to insert another or several different DVDs. If the others play just fine, then the DVD which you can't advance is shot to hell. I've had this happen on numerous DVDs over the years and they're always the ones I play the most. Sometimes I can clean them - always clean them with a moving stroke from the center hole outward - not in a circular motion. There's a chance your DVD player (laser) needs cleaning (compressed air works great to get rig of dust, dust *****, etc. which can interfere w/ the operation), but most likely the DVD is shot to hell. Depending on how the DVD was made, some companies do a crap mass production job on creating DVDs. When you think you should have solid dual layer of information, you come to find out it's a single layer laid down instead of two. That makes DVDs last a very short time.

I still believe Dream has the incorrect jack metal lift hook. If ILT is correct, the longer lift hook was used on all Cutlass, 442 from '64 - '72. His jack is probably for a 68 Valiant!
Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I think the clutch is going out - that's all I can figure - it's bogging down terribly and can barely cut butter. I think it's the clutch.
Norm - I believe you're correct. It sounds like the centrifugal clutch spring has stretched and needs to be replaced. The chain should not turn when the saw is at idle. Does your chain turn at idle?
Old August 22nd, 2020, 06:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Chief Vintage
Norm - I believe you're correct. It sounds like the centrifugal clutch spring has stretched and needs to be replaced. The chain should not turn when the saw is at idle. Does your chain turn at idle?
Norm - Thanks for that information. I'll remove the clutch and take a look at the clutch spring. Thanks for that. The chain does in fact turn when at idle.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:37 PM

Hey Guys - Thanks again to everyone that commented and tried to help with my jack issue. To follow up, I took the jack body, and put it up close next to my bumper and it doesn't look like it would match up well at all.

Following the discussions today, it hasn't been the easiest or most productive day for many of you. Here's to everyone having a better day tomorrow. Thought before I hang it up for the night I'd post a pic I'm hoping will put a smile on everyone's face. She's a daddy's girl, and that is her usual evening position while we're watching tv.

Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:39 PM
Banned

Alright, I have it figured out. It was quite simple. I can have both username accounts signed in at the same time on different computers, etc. - I knew this. However, the CO website would only recognize via the GREEN light below the username Avatar one username being online with the GREEN on-line light illuminated. When I have my iPhone connected to my home WiFi, I'm using the same external (forward-facing) IP address as my desktop PC. Therefore, when a CO user logs onto the CO website, the CO website recognizes the IP address as being logged on and not the username as being logged on. To test this, I removed my iPhone from my home WiFi network, and instead logged on to CO with my iPhone via my cellular (AT&T) network (which provides a different IP address because I'm using the cellular network DHCP server to issue an IP address. This then allows me to have both usernames GREEN on-line light illuminated at the same time - demonstrating both usernames were on-line.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:43 PM
Banned

Dream - That's a great picture.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:48 PM
Banned

I may have found an anomaly on the login attributes to the CO website. More testing required - my work is never done.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 07:54 PM
Running On Empty

I’m pretty certain the GREEN on-line attribute (illuminated GREEN button) has a default TTL attribute. More testing required.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 22nd, 2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 08:06 PM
Banned

Ah Ha. I figured it out. I believe there is a TTL associated w/ the Hyper Test Transfer Protocol (https) secure handshake. Which is a good thing.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 08:08 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Chief Vintage
Ah Ha. I figured it out. I believe there is a TTL associated w/ the Hyper Test Transfer Protocol (https) secure handshake. Which is a good thing.
Norm - Oh well, that's just brilliant. Now how about finding something constructive to do.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 08:54 PM

Dream, love your pic of your dog relaxing. Folks, It appears that Norm has gone over the edge. Too bad, as he seemed to be a nice fellow.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 09:00 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - you got that right.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 01:04 AM

Norm, If I had to guess, I'd say the 14" bolt on center cap in your trunk came with the car. Somebody along the line wanted bigger tire/wheels and couldn't find bolt on 15: wheels and put the 15: snap on centers on

FWIW, there are 2 different spare tire instruction stickers and tie downs depending on whether or not you leave thee center caps on the spare. There are also 2 different colored jacks grey or black depending on assembly plant

The thing I have yet to figure out is the stupid rubber Jack sleave. I've never seen one on a car but I bought one years ago [from Fusick's I think } Well just because

Mike I appreciate the home work If you ever tired of the big D you could get a sleuth job. I'm gonna pass on yet another over priced removable top Blazer. That's the color and interior I wanted but too much $$

Dream, I love the pooch, If you just need the jack hook, I;ve got a few extra laying around. I'll have ta check the dates

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:04 AM

Norm, I agree with you re: 1 4" spare vs 15" wheels, No one outside an Oldsmobile forum gives a rats a$$ what SS wheels are, When I drive my drop top, The single most axed question I get is "What year is it?"When I drove my 69 H/O [supposedly the Holly grail] everyone axed WTF is it ?

There's aren't alot of Joe P's out in the real world

And there's a whole generation growing up that has never heard of Oldsmobile
Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:20 AM
Running On Empty

James - I thought the same regarding 14" trunk & 15" on vehicle - someone simply wanted the larger wheels. So, SSII is argent regardless if it's a 14" or 15" wheel & SSIII is body color regardless if it's a 14" or 15" wheel, is that correct? I believe I noticed one other type wheel. Doesn't Fun71 (Kenneth) have a set of wheels which look just like SSIII but his wheels have what looks like a metal clip-on wheel rim insert encircling the wheel's edge? Were the 15" SSIII also available w/ the bolt-on center caps? Were both 14" & 15" wheels available from the factory? I believe the 14" SSIII was the factory OEM wheel correct? Would that make the 15" SSIII an aftermarket wheel?

My wheels:

Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:35 AM
Running On Empty

I know when I was growing up I never gave a rat's **** if my wheels were factory. I had a '67 4-4-2 (1969 - 1971) and a '72 4-4-2 (1976 - 1982). I slapped on a set of Cragars on the '72. I didn't do much aftermarket stuff to either the '67 or the '72 - I basically ran them and beat them good. The '67 had 3 trips back & forth from IL>FL running 80 mph through KY& GA, and the '72 had several trips back & forth from CA>IL while in the USAF. It would be nice to have both of those cars, but in the day they were nothing more than a means of transportation. Most of my friends, whether they were driving an Olds, a Chevy, a Triumph, an MGB, Austin Healey, etc. it didn't matter, helped keep J.C. Whitney in downtown Chicago in business buying aftermarket upgrades: Abarth & Thrush exhaust, Hurst shifters, upgraded clutch packs, Edelbrock headers, etc., etc. We used to take the train into Chicago most mornings and J.C. Whitney was always on the list of places we'd spend most of our time.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:44 AM
Running On Empty

Here is a post of Fun71's wheels. Both of those wheels look like they have a clip-on rim regardless of bolt-on center caps or tire size. What's the deal w/ the clip-ons?

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...y-rims-134368/
Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:49 AM
Running On Empty

Oh yeah, and those 5 oblong holes in the wheels. Fun71 has plastic or metal snap-in inserts, mine do not. Mine are chrome with no snap-ins. Not sure what the deal is.
And, his are painted differently than mine. WTF. The damn things roll and that's about as much as I think I want to get into it. Still, I'm modestly curious.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; August 23rd, 2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:52 AM

Norm, I always thought your wheels were originally on the middle 80's 442's and maybe Cutlasses. They have no trim ring and are chromed around the rim. I have tried to get a nice set ( which yours are) but all I could find were rusty. As a Lansing boy working at Montgomery Wards Auto Center ( mounted a bunch of tires) I remember all those wheels. In 71 you could only get 14". I think in 73 or 74 they had a few cars with 15" (maybe 442's?) but most were 14". I 'm pretty sure by 75 they were 15" with a trim ring and snap on cap. Then 78 Cutlasses were back to 14" with rings and snap on cap- (smaller car). Most Cutlasses RWD 1978-1988 were 14" except for the 442's and HO's that got the 15" Somewhere in there they changed from trim rings to chromed rim. My car has a set of snap on painted wheels originally from a 76 or 77 Cutlass. I wanted 15" wheels. I would still like to find a set like yours as I drive my car quite a bit and the paint doesn't hold up well.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:53 AM

Norm, I've never seen Kenneth's wheel so I ain't got the foggiest

!4" SS II and 15" SS II were available from the factory. with bolt on centers, The 15" bolt on are one year only [with the bolt on centers] The 15" snap ons were [ I THINK] later and are fairly common

A III is a II painted body color, I'm not certain but if all the snap on centers came later, I would guess they would all be II although I had a set painted argent

All of them were Factory correct The odd ball is the 69 H/O which is 15" but no beauty ring it's real chrome

FWIW Never balance you tire with the center caps on

I'm right there with ya about factory wheels, NO self respecting kid wanted factory wheels or tach or gauges in the 60's . That's one reason SS II are a dime a dozen. !st thing a kid would do is slap on a set of American mags, strap a Sun tach to the steering column and hang some Stewart Warner gauges from the dash

That's probably why the tic toc tach is is so rare

The snap on 15" set I bought may be the fastest e-bay transaction ever. I bought, paid via pay pal and the guy worked for a door factory He said "What's your nearest Lowes? I told him and the next day I got them off a truck delivering doors at 7 a.m at the back of my Lowe's store
Old August 23rd, 2020, 04:57 AM
Running On Empty

Greg & James - OK, this is more or less coming together and making some type of sense. The painting of the wheel is modestly confusing as there is certainly a difference in what areas are painted between Ken's and my wheels.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 05:01 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
NO self respecting kid wanted factory wheels or tach or gauges in the 69's.
Agree, idiot lights were one of the very first items to get replaced/upgraded to tachometers and gauges.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 05:21 AM

Norm, Agree Round wheels are needed.

FWIW

The argent wheels have no clear coat the SS III [body color I assume do
Old August 23rd, 2020, 06:43 AM

Good Morning - I picked up a new set of tires and want to take the existing set to the local Farm & Fleet for mounting. They had a buy 3 get one free sale going on so I got a set of 4- Cooper Cobra GT P225/70r/14's $408.00+tax mounted and balanced no road hazard insurance. My plan is to lift the 72 Cutlas Supreme with a floor jack and place jack stands while the flop is done.
I would like to ask what the best placement for the jack stands would be.

Keith
Old August 23rd, 2020, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by JOHNNYOLDS442

Are these Factory lug nuts?? I always thought so
The factory lug nuts are not solid but have a stainless steel (?) shell that is crimped onto a nut. They can have issues, such as the shell getting manged so the lug wrench doesn't go on easily or at all, the shell separating from the nut, etc. The cure for all that is a solid nut that looks like the original capped lug nut.

Old August 23rd, 2020, 08:00 AM

Otto Here ya go

https://www.liveabout.com/car-jack-stands-4154533
Old August 23rd, 2020, 08:43 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Hadn't been there in weeks. My friend assured me they were back to normal so we got ready and went in. It wasn't normal, but at least I could eat in, and then my friend showed up so it was nice to sit and talk. Tiger relaxed in the car until I came out with his dog burger.

All this wheel talk reminded me of when I was a teenager, I was riding my bike down Main Street in Matteson and a girl in about a 77 Cutlass goes whizzing by. Main Street was under construction and she hit a pot hole and the snap on cap from her SS? wheel comes flying off and misses my head by about an inch. Well, the nice young man that I was picked up the projectile and followed her to the White Hen, and I went up to her and said this came off your car here you go. First time anyone sneered at me. She just gave me a look and says, okay, like it was my duty to bring her chunks of her car when they came off. Eh, it was my good deed for the day.

Jamesbo I thought that truck would be overpriced. That one looks like it's a Cheyenne. I come by the sleuthing honestly. Both my parents were detectives. That's a great color by the way, maybe you could find a wreck and restore it.

Dream that looks like a typical dog position. Right in the middle of everything. Funny how we seem to automatically adjust for the dog, but people would get told off. What a sweet girl. How's the toe nail?

Norm I watched other DVDs last night and they were all fine, and had been. This one disc must have been a bad copy. Too bad, it was supposed to be a good one. Cotton Pickin' Chicken Pickers.

Well I gotta get something done. Not sure what. It's nice out but a little too cloudy to want to do anything outside. I'll find something. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old August 23rd, 2020, 10:32 AM
Running On Empty

It appears Louisiana is going to have their ***** handed to them next week. WTF!!!
Old August 23rd, 2020, 10:34 AM
Running On Empty

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/