The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2020, 12:20 PM
Running On Empty

That iOS 14.2 software update for the iPhone was nothing less than a PITA. Ugh.
Old November 30th, 2020, 03:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good Monday at work. I was the star player. Signed off more wheels than the other two mechanics. We stayed till the end, though. The lead wasn't going to come in until 10 and surprise surprise he didn't come in at all. Eh who needs him.

Norm that was some relaxing music. Although in the second piece the accordian drowned out a lot of the Bandura.

Didn't hear anything from my realtor today. This is absolutely out of her control so I'm not going to bug her about it. The seller has to get this taken care of and she knows I might still be interested. No need to clutter things up.

Windy here and rather chilly. I was cold at work all day. I'm going to have to adjust my attire so I'm not shivering all day. Just before sunset there was some blue sky peeking out of the clouds, it was nice to see. Cold all week.

Need to clean up in the kitchen a little bit then I'll get into my jammies and watch a little TV until bedtime. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old November 30th, 2020, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That iOS 14.2 software update for the iPhone was nothing less than a PITA. Ugh.
What was the major difficulty that you encountered? Not that I'm going to replicate your misery; just curious.

I keep getting notifications for that update, but the description gives info about a lot of features I do not have, do not use, or will never use, so I just ignore it. My phone is still on iOS 12.0.1 and I am perfectly happy with it.
Old November 30th, 2020, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
What was the major difficulty that you encountered? Not that I'm going to replicate your misery; just curious.

I keep getting notifications for that update, but the description gives info about a lot of features I do not have, do not use, or will never use, so I just ignore it. My phone is still on iOS 12.0.1 and I am perfectly happy with it.
The main and most problematic issue was when the update became available but not installed on my phone, it was robbing me of network bandwidth via any WiFi connection. Additionally, several times my Safari Browser window(s) locked and/or shutdown. Also, several applications were hanging and/or shutting down. Sometimes it even closed the EUI to an application all by itself. Finally, I looked into my Software Update (General Settings) and sure enough there was a Software Update available. After installing the Software Update, everything was back to normal. Although, you're spot-on, 99% of the crap it loaded was poppy-**** B.S - such as an A$$LOAD of Widgets. The software update took about 45 minutes. I'd just as soon not even have loaded it, but it was robbing my iPhone of tons of connectivity issues, application faulting, etc. I hope you have better luck. Ugh.
Old November 30th, 2020, 03:49 PM

Well I made it through all the iOS 12 and 13 update notifications so I figure I'll make it through this as well.
Old November 30th, 2020, 10:28 PM

Chris, most of us in these parts think that Lions management/ownership is the real problem, and that the Fords need to sell before anything good will happen. You're right about Harbaugh, a real disappointment. I believe that this is the worse team since 1967, just before Bo came on board. Correction, after a look around, it will be the worst since 1962 when they went 2-7 under Bump Elliot.

Last edited by 1969w3155; November 30th, 2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old December 1st, 2020, 02:37 AM

Chris, I had Falcon season tickets for 20 years, It's a waste of a perfectly good Sunday, The players care less about the team than anyone. It's just a huddle of small corporations chasing $$$

Norm, I have no idea WTF you are talking about, It's above my pay grade

Mike, Let me play Norm for a second. Realtor is always capitalized. I made this mistake on my 1st resume and during my interview promptly got corrected. It doesn't mean real-estate agent. It means a real-estate agent who has chosen to join the national [state] Board of Realtors,[trade organization] pays dues and past the stupidest test I've ever seen. It's spose to bring moral standards and ethics blah blah blah to the real-estate profession. Which of course it doesn't. It's just another thing to hang on the office wall [or in my case throw in a shoe box] Their Logo is a big blue "R:"

Sorry probably more than you wanted to know.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 1st, 2020, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, most of us in these parts think that Lions management/ownership is the real problem, and that the Fords need to sell before anything good will happen. You're right about Harbaugh, a real disappointment. I believe that this is the worse team since 1967, just before Bo came on board. Correction, after a look around, it will be the worst since 1962 when they went 2-7 under Bump Elliot.
Dan - To us Michiganders, we've become used to the Lions being horrible, but the U of M situation is a whole other matter! I sure miss those days when you could almost count on the Big Ten title coming down to that last game of the regular season between Michigan and Ohio State. The best football bumper sticker I ever saw was this: "Woody is a Pecker, and a Buckeye is a Nut!"
Old December 1st, 2020, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Realtor is always capitalized. . .
Their Logo is a big blue "R"
James - Huh, I always thought their logo was a big green "$"??? LoL

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 1st, 2020 at 05:38 AM.
Old December 1st, 2020, 05:54 AM

Chris,

Don;t get me started on real-estate, I was in the business for over 50 years, It's full of neurotic money grubbing cut throats

The whole agency situation in flawed from the get go
Old December 1st, 2020, 05:56 AM

Good morning guys,
Bright blue skies this morning, but really, really cold for this time of year. Right now it's 22 degrees at 0730, but it's supposed to get up to 42.

Well, they lied to me! The majority of my car and motorcycle parts did not get here yesterday. I had ordered everything through "Summit Racing", even the motorcycle battery, which was $40 cheaper through Summit than the motorcycle parts stores. My inline fuel filter made it here, which came from a warehouse in Ohio. Everything else which is coming from Texas won't be here until tomorrow. No big deal, don't need the parts until spring anyway.

No exciting plans, that's the way most days are during the winter months around here,, unfortunately. The dogs do like it though, they get much more attention.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 1st, 2020, 06:16 AM

Chris,

Don;t get me started on real-estate, I was in the business for over 50 years, It's full of neurotic money grubbing cut throats

The whole agency situation in flawed from the get go
James - Just like almost any business I can think of, it only takes a few "bad apples" to give the whole business a bad rap. I feel like I have been lucky to work with Realestate Agents that I felt were working in my best interest.
Old December 1st, 2020, 06:47 AM

Chris, I was speaking of running a real estate business. The owner/broker is responsible for every agents actions [legally] while at the same time they are independent contractors doing "their own thing"

IMHO, It it set things up wrong and invites trouble

I told everyone that came to work for me. "People risk their lives getting shot robing a liquor store for a couple hundred bucks, Think what they would do over $10/20 thousand" [commission]
Old December 1st, 2020, 07:28 AM

Chris, I was speaking of running a real estate business. The owner/broker is responsible for every agents actions [legally] while at the same time they are independent contractors doing "their own thing"

IMHO, It it set things up wrong and invites trouble

I told everyone that came to work for me. "People risk their lives getting shot robing a liquor store for a couple hundred bucks, Think what they would do over $10/20 thousand" [commission]
James - I definitely see your point, and agree that the way things are set up it would be pretty easy for things to go awry!
Old December 1st, 2020, 09:45 AM

"Woody is a Pecker, and a Buckeye is a Nut!"
LOL, used to see them back in the day.
Old December 1st, 2020, 02:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another day of cleaning up. We have a counter on the computer that shows how many wheels we've signed off, and the guy who was watching it today said, it says 125, but I'm going to go ask [pain in the *** lead] if that's correct. We all knew it was correct. Big surprise, the lead said no we still need two more. Just because he could.

Cold here but sunny. I went out and found some dry firewood so the stove will get lit up in a minute.

Jamesbo that's good to know. I guess I can just call her my agent. I'll sound like a rock star.

Greg you were right. The chick with the house has to rebuild in order to get the insurance payout. I think that's a scam. She's been paying on this policy, betting against needing it, so why can't she collect and move on? I don't wreck my car and have to get it fixed in order to collect on the insurance? I could go on all night, I hate insurance companies.

No plans for tonight. I might just go to bed. Tomorrow is Hump Day. If only. Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 2nd, 2020, 04:09 AM

Good mornimg guys,
Very chilly again this morning. Someone, whose name will remain unspoken, must not have let the dogs out before bed, and they got me up at 0500. It was 20 degrees then, but is supposed to get up to 50 this afternoon with sunshine. I was texting with an old high-school friend last night and he was in the middle of a snowstorm in northeastern Ohio. They already had over a foot of snow then and it was still snowing hard. Just heard on the news that some locations in that area got 2-ft. Just goes to show you it can always be worse.

Again, no big plans, just hanging out and helping my wife with her laundry room project when she needs me. She's extremely independent, so I just stay out of the way until she cries uncle. I helped her hang her new cabinets yesterday.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 2nd, 2020, 05:21 AM

Headed norte

Old December 2nd, 2020, 06:55 AM

It's back to work for me today. I'm at the end of my Thanksgiving vacation - was off all last week and the beginning of this week. Hope I can remember what I was doing when I left.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 03:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

No lead again, but we all seemed to sign about the same amount of wheels. Things were smooth and no drama. That is after half the crew came in late because they were all stuck in accident traffic.

Not quite as cold today, but it will be cold tonight. The sun was out so it was a pretty day. Rain Friday. Had to scrape the windshield on the car this morning before work. The contour of the blade didn't match the contour of the windshield, so I ended up with small streaks in the frost. Even with the defroster on hitting it with the wiper fluid caused the windshield to fog over. I hate winter.

So in the Well It's Craigslist What Do You Expect department, I answered an ad for a 58 Plymouth "Christine" look a like that a guy has in Orlando. Ad says, For Sale 15k. So I texted him. He replies, IF I decide to sell it will go on ebay. I found that a little odd. If it isn't for sale why did he say it was for sale, and pay craigslist 5 bucks? Well, the ad was 20 days old, maybe he got tired of all the BS that goes around on craigslist. Kind of a cool car.

Time to relax a little. Two more to go. Nothing big planned for the weekend, especially if it's going to rain. So it's cruise mode. I'll take it.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 2nd, 2020, 10:43 PM

Chris, that was the system that we were supposed to get, but it altered course and dumped on Ohio and Pennsylvania. We normally work between X mas and New Years on a voluntary basis, even though they are paid holidays. I was planning on working Dec, 28th-30th to get some triple time $$$, but we were told today that we will not be working it due to orders being down so much from the covid. First time that has happened since I've been there.
Old December 3rd, 2020, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, that was the system that we were supposed to get, but it altered course and dumped on Ohio and Pennsylvania. We normally work between X mas and New Years on a voluntary basis, even though they are paid holidays. I was planning on working Dec, 28th-30th to get some triple time $$$, but we were told today that we will not be working it due to orders being down so much from the covid. First time that has happened since I've been there.
Dan - Glad you guys missed the snowstorm. I talked to my buddy again yesterday that lives in Youngstown, right on the Ohio/Pennsylvania border and he ended up with 18". My wife having grown up here in Missouri has never seen a snow like that. I proceeded to tell her about the Michigan blizzard of January 26-27, 1967 when in the Kalamazoo and Battle Creek areas we officially got 30" of blizzard like snow. My parents had a single story ranch style home and the snow drift on one side extended up onto the roof, covering the bedroom windows on that side of the house. I remember them mobilizing the National Guard and forming snowmobile brigades to check on elderly and homebound folks, and to make sure folks had food because many could not get out of their homes for almost a week. There was also the huge 1978 blizzard that of all things happened on January 26-27 too. It was worse than the 1967 blizzard in some areas. I was in college then at Albion and I remember they suspended classes for 3-days. It sure won't break my heart if I never see snows like those again!
Old December 3rd, 2020, 10:04 AM

Chris, I was working at Chris Craft on second shift when the blizzard of '78 rolled in. Our supervisor came through the shop at about 7pm, and said "everyone who lives out of town, leave now." The army reserve has a base in town, and the city called on them to help out with their heavy equipment, as the city had a hard time doing the job. My dad's '71 98 was buried up to the roof, about a block from home as my dad got stuck after dropping my mom off at work. He had me help shovel around it, but I asked "where can you go? the streets are drifted over" My mom got dropped off by friends of the family who had a Power wagon......then it really hit.
Old December 3rd, 2020, 11:06 AM

Dan - I remember in 1967, the storm actually started on Friday evening. My Dad made it to within a 1/4-mile of our home on the main highway, M-66, but knew he wouldn't be able to make it down our unplowed street, so he parked his car at the township office on the corner of M-66 and our road, and hoofed it home. Three days later when they finally got our street plowed, he went up to get the car. After digging it out, he got in to drive it home and turned the key and got nothing. He opened the hood and found the entire engine bay packed full of snow like a carton of frozen ice cream. He had to come back home and get a variety of smaller hand tools to break up and dig out around all the engine components to get it to a point where it would turn over. Apparently he had parked the front towards the prevailing wind and the wind was so strong it just packed the engine bay completely full. It's not hard to imagine when you saw the drifts onto the roofs of houses.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 3rd, 2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2020, 01:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good, long day at work. Once again I outpaced everyone and signed 51 wheels. Yes I'm tooting my own horn. Not very often I get to do so. We're set up for tomorrow pretty good so I hope it's an early day.

It was sunny earlier but now it's overcast. Not too cold out, I suspect this is in preparation of the rain we're supposed to get tomorrow. I thought I'd go over to the shop this afternoon and cut up a little firewood to get ready.

Chris I think the '67 storm you're talking about was the same one that slammed Chicago. I still had a few months to hatch but I've seen several stories and pictures of the event. As a kid I would have loved it. Now, uh no.

Ever have a date pop into your head like you've been rehearsing it? My buddy wanted to have barbeque for lunch today so I said I'd go with him. We went to this place called Pit Boss, real original I know, it used to be called the Flying Pig. Anyway, I hadn't been to the Pig in years and when we pulled up I saw a mural on the side of the building, a smiling Porky Pig looking face and little airplanes with pigs flying them. Then it hit me, the last time I was there was August 1, 2001. Our last L1011 was due in on its last flight from Orlando, and a friend of mine and I went to the Flying Pig for lunch before we went over to the gates to see her come in. About a hundred other people had the same idea, and hundreds were at the gate to see the plane go through the water cannon salute. Afterwards they towed her to the hangar and we had food, music, and we took sharpies and wrote all over her. Anyway, before today that was the last time I had been to the Flying Pig.

Well have a good afternoon everyone. One more to go.

Old December 3rd, 2020, 01:20 PM
Running On Empty

I was 15 yo when the '67 ice/snow storm struck - it was absolutely brutal.
Old December 3rd, 2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris I think the '67 storm you're talking about was the same one that slammed Chicago. I still had a few months to hatch but I've seen several stories and pictures of the event. As a kid I would have loved it. Now, uh no.

Well have a good afternoon everyone. One more to go.
Mike - Good for you at work, nothing wrong with you tooting your own horn if you've had a great day!

You're correct about the 67 blizzard in the Chicago area, I believe it is still the all time record for one continuous snowfall there, just like it was in my hometown in Michigan.

Norm - I'm assuming you were still in Chicago at that time?
Old December 3rd, 2020, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I'm assuming you were still in Chicago at that time?
Yes, Elgin, IL to be exact.
Old December 3rd, 2020, 04:16 PM
Always room for one more

And the town I was about to be born in was 150 miles to the west. Never did hear how much snow they got.

Well my memory sometimes needs a bit of a kick in the pants. My last time at the Flying Pig was actually July 31. August 1 I boarded that plane with 200 of my closest friends and had a giant party all the way out to Victorville, California. That is Delta's preferred "desert." Also known as the aircraft graveyard. Not all planes go there to die; a lot of them are there for storage and are returned to service at a later date. That particular plane was bought by The Flying Hospital and was going to be outfitted as a static display, to show what goes on in their real flying hospital, another L1011. They also bought several of our parted out planes for spares.

Norm I would have guessed that at 15 there would have been fortunes of money to be made shoveling and whatnot.

Old December 3rd, 2020, 04:42 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
August 1 I boarded that plane with 200 of my closest friends and had a giant party all the way out to Victorville, California. That is Delta's preferred "desert." Also known as the aircraft graveyard. Not all planes go there to die; a lot of them are there for storage and are returned to service at a later date. That particular plane was bought by The Flying Hospital and was going to be outfitted as a static display, to show what goes on in their real flying hospital, another L1011. They also bought several of our parted out planes for spares.
Norm I would have guessed that at 15 there would have been fortunes of money to be made shoveling and whatnot.
Mike - A couple things:
(1) On active duty w/ the USAF stationed in California in the early '70s several of us drove to the 'boneyard' (as we called it) @ Victorville just to have a look around. We called it the boneyard because we knew it was not a graveyard, since ~50% of the aircraft were in there for parts storage to be reclaimed (cannibalized) for service parts into other aircraft;
(2) My closest friend's father is a retired L1011 long-hauler; and,
(3) Yes, there was lots of shoveling & money to be had during that storm.
Old December 3rd, 2020, 05:12 PM
Always room for one more

Well what do you know about that. Your friend's father wouldn't have been Bill Arnold? He was the PIC of that flight. He retired as soon as the plane was parked on the ramp. The FO was also a captain, I don't remember his name, and he was going to retire in a couple weeks after the L1011 program was wrapped up. The SO was going to another fleet.

The company chartered busses for us all to get to one of three airports; LAX, Orange County, or (I believe) Burbank. Captain Arnold chartered his own bus and took the entire flight crew to Vegas for his retirement party. I chose the LAX bus and met my best friend and his wife, who were living in LA at the time, for dinner in the then open theme building. That's the building on four legs that is always shown on TV when they mention LAX. After dinner I flew back to Atlanta, on a 767.

Funny thing about Victorville. Back in the day we ordered a handful of Douglas MD11's and for whatever reason didn't need them when they were built. Maybe they were on sale. They were built at Long Beach and flown directly to VCV to stay for a number of weeks. They were all white, the only tell-tale sign that they were ours was the rudder was painted, so it had half of the name and logo.

Old December 3rd, 2020, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

My friend's fathers' name is David Larson. David was a L1011 captain his entire career w/ TWA residing in Overland Park, KS. I was home visiting my parents the evening of May 25, 1979 (Friday) when the horrific news of the DC-10 crash was announced on the TV. We couldn't believe what we were hearing & watching on the TV. One of my parent's friends (Lou & Dave Hoppie) owned 100 acres of land in the 1940s which would become a portion of the new O'Hare airport.
Old December 4th, 2020, 03:52 AM
Running On Empty

Last night I awoke to excruciating pain in my right shin. I suspected a shin splint & began reading about it as I was waiting for the pain to abate. I've heard of shin splints but never really known anything about them. I generally suspected they were a form of muscle spasm (Charley Horse) - lactic acid buildup, evidently they are not. This morning the shin feels rather normal, a little tingling perhaps numbness throughout my calf, ankle & foot. Tee time @ 8:30am. I generally walk the course every day I play - I'm not certain about today. I have a pair of sole/arch inserts I think I'll use today. I've read some exercises & stretching technique guidance. I'll see how it goes - I may ride in a golf cart today. Argh!
Old December 4th, 2020, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Last night I awoke to excruciating pain in my right shin. I suspected a shin splint & began reading about it as I was waiting for the pain to abate. I've heard of shin splints but never really known anything about them. I generally suspected they were a form of muscle spasm (Charley Horse) - lactic acid buildup, evidently they are not. This morning the shin feels rather normal, a little tingling perhaps numbness throughout my calf, ankle & foot. Tee time @ 8:30am. I generally walk the course every day I play - I'm not certain about today. I have a pair of sole/arch inserts I think I'll use today. I've read some exercises & stretching technique guidance. I'll see how it goes - I may ride in a golf cart today. Argh!
Norm - I can feel your pain! I did quite a bit of competitive distance running through my 20's and 30's (mainly 10K's). Too much mileage on asphalt surfaces is often not a good combination. I wouldn't think walking the golf course would be an issue, but we aren't 20 anymore and you do put in alot of mileage. Shin splints are a hard injury to get past without complete rest sometimes. Even with complete rest, sometimes they require deep heat, administered via ultrasound waves to the affected area to increase blood flow to the deep connective tissue so it can repair itself. I had these types of ultrasound treatments applied to a tendinitis I had developed in my shoulder once. These treatments were the only thing that helped it get better. When I got into my 40's I had to give up running because my knees wouldn't take the pounding anymore, so I moved on to lower impact cardio machines. I hope your condition improves without too much intrusion into your golf routine.
Old December 4th, 2020, 09:48 AM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
Old December 4th, 2020, 10:00 AM

Good morning guys,
Partially sunny with a high of 48 projected for today with no chance of rain. Pretty much what we expect for this time of year here. Just finished up with my primary outdoor task this time of year, picking up the last 24-hours of dog poop in the back yard. Last Christmas my dogs got me a new coffee cup that read, "Dad, thanks for picking up our poop and stuff, Monty and Maggie"! It's so nice to be appreciated!

As usual this time of year, no big plans for today. Never really talked about this before, but a part of my daily routine always involves a substantial amount of exercise, usually 6 or 7-days a week. Without a hobby like Norm that has him walking several miles a day on the golf course, mine is self-manufactured. I started lifting weights religiously when playing football in college and have never stopped, lifting on M-W-F every week. On T-Th-S and sometimes Su I do cardio on a Bowflex Max cardio machine that combines the motions of an elliptical trainer and a stair climber in one motion. I normally do not recommend products to friends, but if any of you are ever looking for a high quality, well built cardio machine that works, the Bowflex Max is great. With a Mom that was a nurse, and a Dad that was a PE teacher and coach, it was ingrained in me early to try and stay in shape. Plus, I never wanted to be that ex-football player that goes back to the reunion 50 lbs. overweight. In reality, it's so much a part of my routine now that I don't feel good if I miss a day. I consider myself a workout-aholic, do any of you other guys fit into this category?

Hope everyone has a great day!

Tower of Pain - Pull-up, Push-up, Dips, and Leg raise stations

Old December 4th, 2020, 10:14 AM

James - LoL! Thanks, what a funny movie, I love it!
Old December 4th, 2020, 10:58 AM
Running On Empty

James - Funny stuff. I recall that scene the several times I've watched Caddyschack.
Chris - I ran cross-country (2.2 miles daily) & competed in both track & cross-country. Of course, this running was on natural turf.
I spoke w/ several fellow golfers this morning regarding my pain & issue. They have pretty much convinced me my issue is not a shin splint but instead a muscle spasm. They each have had shin splints at points in their lives (several of them were/are runners on pavement). They asked "Does it hurt this morning." When I stated no, they agreed it wasn't a shin splint because they were assuring me if it were a shin splint I wouldn't be walking today. I think I'm rather relieved. I think the cards are still out, but they were rather convincing. I don't know, it could be a calf muscle spasm (which I believe would most likely resonate from lactic acid buildup and/or dehydration). For the time being, I'm going to attempt to resolve it to dehydration & a muscle spasm - it hurt terribly awful bad. It doesn't hurt right now, I can feel tenderness, but no pain (yet). I think I generally don't drink enough water so I'll step up my water intake and see how this plays out. There's also the chance in my mind it might be tendonitis.
Old December 4th, 2020, 11:09 AM

Norm - In addition to more water, you might want to increase your potassium intake also, bananas are a great natural source. I agree with your golf buddies, if it were shin splints, it would have hurt just as bad this morning, if not worse, and the walking that you have done today would have inflamed it more the more you walked.
Old December 4th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Running On Empty

I eat one banana every single day - daily and I take one K supplement daily. I was considering a Calcium citrate supplement but there has been no proven efficacy regarding Calcium citrate supplement and some studies have suggested Calcium citrate supplement can be deleterious. I believe copious amounts of water are going to be key moving forward. I'll see.