The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2020, 09:37 AM

Beats Will singing Bon Jovi at the gas pumps don;t it
And as Tiny Tim said: "God bless you everyone". Well, I called my Dr.s office yesterday to get covid info/explain to them what was going on at work. They said that they were following CDC guidelines. I'm ok with that, but it would have been nice if the company and the Union would have communicated that information. One of the people did test positive, and is quarrantined at home. The other one is back at work after testing negative. Got my flu shot today, drive up at the health center where my doctor is located. I asked the nurse what they were going to do when the weather turned sh!tty/ She said that they were going to be provided with new coats...yaaa! She also said that more than likely, as it gets into winter, they will probably move indoors. A 30° temp drop from yesterday, in the 40's which is normal.
Old November 11th, 2020, 10:27 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Finished by 10 this morning. The bad guy was gone like the wind before I was even finished working. He also took off tomorrow and Friday, so I guess I work alone. That's actually better than him being there. I stuck around until 11 because Wednesday is go to Skinny's day with Dan. Didn't want to miss that. Skinny's is a small little restaurant close to the airport that I've been going to almost since I've lived here.

Rainy and crappy out. Nothing to do outside so I think I'll clean house a little. It really feels like a Friday. Hope Friday is the same.

My Amphi project has stalled already. I was all set to buy a shipping container from this yard close to my house, but it turns out that yard doesn't have shipping containers. It's parking for semi trailers. Not sure why I thought it was shipping containers. I can't find any other place that doesn't have 50 ads shouting how cheep and easy they sell shipping containers. Their price is the same as everyone else and then they tack on fees for delivery, for handling, for Tuesday, etc. Plan B is to get an enclosed trailer, which I've wanted to get anyway, but I'm too cheep to buy one. The nice ones are around 7 or 8 thousand and I don't want to pay that much. Oh the internal struggle.

Okay gonna do something. Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

Old November 11th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Birds go cheep. Prices are cheap.
Old November 11th, 2020, 12:21 PM

Hey guys. Good to see everyone is hanging in there.

Not much going on here.
Old November 11th, 2020, 12:26 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by curvewrecker
Good to see everyone is hanging in there.

Old November 11th, 2020, 12:39 PM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike - Birds go cheep. Prices are cheap.
Norm we've been through this before.

Hi CW.

Old November 11th, 2020, 12:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm we've been through this before.

Hi CW.
Mike, you know what. I was just doing dishes and realized the exact same thing - we've been through this before.
Old November 11th, 2020, 12:50 PM

I'm soooooooooooo glad we now have our Official in resident Spelling ****. Dat way I don't havta watch my fingers toooooooooooo closely

BTW Here's Emory B school bathroom graffiti

"Coarse syllabus take one " [ next to the toilet paper roll]

PALL MALL can't SPALL
Old November 11th, 2020, 12:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Spelling ****.
Don't get me going!

rocketscientis

Old November 11th, 2020, 01:38 PM
Always room for one more

Zamboni

Old November 11th, 2020, 01:49 PM

Zamboni

I kinda new you Chicago Bears how to spall Zamboni
Old November 11th, 2020, 03:32 PM
Always room for one more

Okay you guys let me ask you. Who has ever driven an hour to work each way? I used to do it when I lived up home. I lived on the far south side of Chicago and drove to O'Hare every day. It was 50 miles from my driveway to the employee parking lot, and it would take me right at an hour. Sometimes a little longer if the Dan Ryan was more than 30 minutes downtown to the airport and I had to take the tollroad. When I moved to Atlanta I was 6 miles from work and I said I'd never drive an hour to work again.

Fast forward 20 some years, and I need to get out. Right now I'm 19 miles from work and it takes me 26 minutes. Lots of urban sprawl, lots of crime, high taxes. I've wanted to move for a while and have been looking further and further out. I've seen a couple places I like that are an hour away. One is 67 miles, so over an hour. Am I crazy? That means Tiger is by himself an extra two hours a day, which I'm not sure he'd mind. Added up it's like working an extra day plus for free.

So, as I approach middle age, I'm wanting to get out of dodge, but not sure I want to be that far from work. It knocks a good hour off my trip to my Mom's, which is awesome. Between my current house and an hour away is not much that interests me ie high prices and the resulting high taxes.

Opinions? Suggestions? Am I just freakin' crazy?

Old November 11th, 2020, 04:39 PM

Okay you guys let me ask you. Who has ever driven an hour to work each way? I used to do it when I lived up home. I lived on the far south side of Chicago and drove to O'Hare every day. It was 50 miles from my driveway to the employee parking lot, and it would take me right at an hour. Sometimes a little longer if the Dan Ryan was more than 30 minutes downtown to the airport and I had to take the tollroad. When I moved to Atlanta I was 6 miles from work and I said I'd never drive an hour to work again.

Fast forward 20 some years, and I need to get out. Right now I'm 19 miles from work and it takes me 26 minutes. Lots of urban sprawl, lots of crime, high taxes. I've wanted to move for a while and have been looking further and further out. I've seen a couple places I like that are an hour away. One is 67 miles, so over an hour. Am I crazy? That means Tiger is by himself an extra two hours a day, which I'm not sure he'd mind. Added up it's like working an extra day plus for free.

So, as I approach middle age, I'm wanting to get out of dodge, but not sure I want to be that far from work. It knocks a good hour off my trip to my Mom's, which is awesome. Between my current house and an hour away is not much that interests me ie high prices and the resulting high taxes.

Opinions? Suggestions? Am I just freakin' crazy?
Mike - There's alot to think about, but just for clarity, wouldn't Tiger be by himself just an extra hour per day vs. two, a half an hour each way? Then what about the shop where you store your extra vehicles, how far away would that be then for you? Then there's double the gas expense to think about, as well as the extra wear and tear on your daily driver. I was fortunate enough never having to drive more than about 35-minutes to work, but I know I wouldn't have wanted to drive an hour each way. Everyone's different though. If you're really unhappy where you are, maybe it would be worth it to you. Good luck with your decision.
Old November 11th, 2020, 04:51 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I have one suggestion and it is my only suggestion. Prioritize your decision based upon what makes you happy. If you are not happy where you live, then move. There isn't a lot to think about, don't make this overly burdensome on yourself. The rest is just poppy **** B.S. you will adjust to. If you are not happy where you live - move.
Old November 11th, 2020, 06:29 PM
Always room for one more

Ug, Norm, if it were only that simple. I suppose the most important thing to figure out is where the closest Awful house is. No really, if it were that simple I would be long gone. The cars and all my crap will come with me, so nothing will be at the shop and I'll sell it. Also, I never excelled at math.

Okay bed time. Gotta do work two more times. You know what I could do, go to work at the KIA place and then I wouldn't have an hour's ride to work. Hm. I think I'd have to buy one, or I'd have an hour's walk to the building from where the "foreign" cars park in the lot.

Old November 12th, 2020, 01:11 AM

Mike,

I had an office in Buchead for 30 + years, the drive [with traffic ] would be and hour to a month depending on wrecks etc [Ga 400 wasn't finished then]

I would look SW. You could scoot up I 85 to work

Peachtree city has tons of pilots living there. But I don't think you'd like it. Very strict build codes and other nonsense, Tyrone and Fairburn are right off the Interstate [ on the way to Peachtree city] and doesn't have all the crazy covenants

Newman is nice You might wanta look around that area.

Sharpsburg, Senoia are nice little spots

Anywhere around Fayette Coweta counties would be where I'd start

Jonesboro has gone towards a ghetto So Clayton county is out

My 2 cents would be to get a little acreage [ no subdivision] and put your fleet in one spot. That would save alot of time going back and forth from Hanger to House

Oddly enough, Yesterday I spoke to a college bud that has lived in Buckhead for 40 years. He's also looking to get out

If I were checking out a new area, I'd go to a strip center, Grocery store, Walmart etc and sit in the parking lot for 10 minutes and see who was going in and out. That would give you a good indication of whose living in the area

Remember the Cobb County bumper sticker

" MARTA come to Cobb and rob"

That is to say, I would stay away from Marta rail lines and stations

Good luck
Old November 12th, 2020, 05:42 AM

Good morning guys,

Cold start this morning at 30 degrees and a pretty heavy frost. It's supposed to be sunny and get up to the low 60's by this afternoon. No big plans for today. Covid numbers are starting to skyrocket again here in and around St. Louis. My county, Jefferson County which is directly south of St. Louis County recorded it's highest daily new case count yesterday and the positivity rate has reached a whopping 27%. I have a birthday coming up soon and we had made plans to get together with my girls and the grandkids, but I've started to wonder if maybe we should cancel those plans? It's depressing things with the Covid situation are going the direction they're going with the Holidays just around the corner. What really ticks me off is that at least around me, only about half the folks you see out in public are wearing masks and attempting to social distance, the rest just seem oblivious! Ugh!!!

Well, enough of my rant for this morning, I hope everyone has a great day.
Old November 12th, 2020, 08:13 AM

Norm and James - I was just looking at my Google feed and saw a headline regarding the start of "The Masters" today. Wow, that just doesn't seem right this time of year! I've always loved watching that tournament on TV, but it will seem really weird watching the final rounds on Saturday and Sunday this time of year! Crazy times!
Old November 12th, 2020, 08:17 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - It is indeed peculiar. Sergio WD as he tested COVID-19 +
Old November 12th, 2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm and James - I was just looking at my Google feed and saw a headline regarding the start of "The Masters" today. Wow, that just doesn't seem right this time of year! I've always loved watching that tournament on TV, but it will seem really weird watching the final rounds on Saturday and Sunday this time of year! Crazy times!

Chris, I used to like to go but since they re did it, IMHO it has kinda lost its ambience. The men's rooms were old wooden building that had been painted a few thousand times and they paid sum UGA kid to stand there all day with with air fresher,

The food is still good and Very reasonable but I guess this will be the 1st year the azaleas are in bloom

It's a beautiful place but you can really see it better on TV [and miss the traffic]

Last edited by Jamesbo; November 12th, 2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Norm the spelling Nazi
Old November 12th, 2020, 10:28 AM

Chris, I used to like to go but since they re did it, IMHO it has kinda lost its ambience. The men's rooms were old wooden building that had been painted a few thousand times and they paid sum UGA kid to stand there all day with with air fresher,

The food is still good and Very reasonable but I guess this will be the 1st year the azaleas are in bloom

It's a beautiful place but you can really see it better on TV [and miss the traffic]
James - Always wanted to see it in person, but probably never will. Glad to know you can see it better on TV.
Old November 12th, 2020, 10:42 AM
Running On Empty

I guess this will be the 1st year the azaleas are in bloom
Since I've already been called a spelling ****, I might as well be called a fact-check **** (I guess) since the above statement is blatantly false.

Azaleas at the Masters bloom in the spring - they do not bloom in fall in the middle of November. Therefore, this will be the 1st year the azaleas are not in bloom.

Speaking of golf. A long w/ working as a ShotLink Operator for the 2021 RBC Heritage I am now working as a Marshal for the 2021 Wells Fargo Championship.
Old November 12th, 2020, 11:06 AM

Norm, You are right I am wrong. I should have re read by post several more times

BTW are you married? That's how I got the above mantra down pat
Old November 12th, 2020, 11:08 AM
Running On Empty

That's how I got..it [sic]... down pat
Didn't Richard Nixon same the same about his wife?
Old November 12th, 2020, 11:33 AM

A subterfuge.
Old November 12th, 2020, 12:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. It was overcast when I got home but now the sun is out. Left work a little before 1. My lead is still MIA and the bad lead must have learned that the inspection guys (me) get to go home when we're done, because we had 9 wheels left at lunch and he shut the whole place down, for an hour. Eh, I'm paid until 230 every day, if it helps him sleep at night...

Norm, you are the spelling ****? I thought it was the guy in another thread who was complaining about things that were illiterate. I totally missed this. By the way, as I understand it [sic] is used when someone writes something incorrectly and someone else copies it that way. When someone else changes something someone said then what was changed goes into the brackets [ ].

Chris good luck with whatever you decide on your get together. I know what I'd do.

Jamesbo, the idea is to get a place with some land and out away from everything. When I first came to Atlanta and was looking for an apartment, I picked up one of those apartment traders and knew enough to tear out and throw away all the ones that said "on MARTA." I'm really thinking about that place in Warm Springs. I can do an hour to work for a while, and if it gets too old then I'll do something different. Five acres with a large shop and horse barn(which would become another shop) and also a swimming pool in a town of 400 people, sounds good to me.

So sitting here just now my power flickers and goes off. Then I hear several loud bangs. We are probably minus one squirrel now. The hard wired smoke detector started chirping and it's driving Tiger bonkers. Good time to go run a couple errands and then hit the Awful house for supper. Hope they don't take too long to get things going again, it gets dark pretty early now. I might have to look like the old men in Christmas cartoons, in my long night shirt and hat, carrying a candle in a holder with a finger ring.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.

Old November 12th, 2020, 12:16 PM
Running On Empty

So sitting here just now my power flickers and goes off. Then I hear several loud bangs. We are probably minus one squirrel now.
LMFAO!!!

We got a big blast of rain and wind which lasted about 15 minutes in the past hour. I had all the windows closed tight on the side where the wind was coming from. Oh no, the wind & rain just HAD to circle from every single direction and guess who didn't close the windows on the North side of the house to allow fresh air into the house? I'm now finished cleaning up the rain-soaked hardwood floors, shoe moldings, window sills, etc., etc. Argh.

No dead squirrels - yet!
Old November 12th, 2020, 01:12 PM

Mike, You're gonna have ta come get sum of my downed oak trees if you're gonna keep your new pool heated

Old November 12th, 2020, 02:12 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo that's awesome. Reminds me of this.

Got back from the Awful house and the power was back on. Only had to reset three clocks, all's good. Still sunny out.

Didn't mean for that picture to come out that big.

Old November 12th, 2020, 02:42 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, you are the spelling ****? I thought it was the guy in another thread who was complaining about things that were illiterate.
Taken from a recent thread of hilariously dubious merit.

...some the window lickers responding realy need spellcheck or a receptioness that can spell...good lord , some of the letters you assembled are not in any language & I read ABOVE all colledge level english ratings available by 9 th grade so its safe to say some of you slept through english while I was Acing every test !
I'm not even going to go there...
Old November 12th, 2020, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

Norm, BTW are you married?
I was, but she told me I had to leave, or else...

Old November 12th, 2020, 02:52 PM
Running On Empty

I missed posting yesterday, Veterans Day. I'll attempt to make up for it. Forty years later and it still fits me just fine - go figure. Happy belated Veterans Day!

Old November 12th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Guys - Those pics bring back a funny memory from my deceased brother. Before he transfered into the Law Division (Game wardens) of the Michigan DNR, he was a Michigan State Trooper for 7-years stationed not too far north of Chicago near St. Joseph/Benton Harbor. Keep in mind Benton Harbor is not a real great area. One day he got a dispatch to an apartment fire in Benton Harbor. He was the first on the scene and rushed up to the apartment with his extinguisher to find smoke pouring out of the bathroom. He then proceeded to put out the fire raging in the bathtub. When he was done, he asked the apartment owner "What the hell were you thinking?" The apartment owner replied, "Mans it's too colds to barbeques outsides!" Dumbass had poured charcoal directly into the acrylic tub and put a grate across the top. You can't fix stupid!
Old November 12th, 2020, 02:59 PM

Obviously not THOSE pics, Jame's and Mike's pics. I do love Norm's pics though!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 12th, 2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old November 12th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Running On Empty

The gals around here are truly ingenuous...

Old November 12th, 2020, 04:20 PM

The gals around here are truly ingenuous...

Goes to a whole new level of repurposeing!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; November 12th, 2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old November 12th, 2020, 05:00 PM

I started a thread in GD asking how to upgrade from my horrible single res brake Master cylinder. If anyone has experience with this kind of swap I'd love your input.
Old November 12th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Running On Empty

CW - I had a friend upgrade from a single to a dual MC many, many years ago. I think it was on his 1961 TR3A. He hated it and I recall he was always having issues with it. This was back in the late 60s early 70s. I don't even think the dual reservoir system he put in was for a TR3A, it may have come from a Mustang? It's been many, many years ago. He was a much better mechanic than me, and his Dad had a Austin Healey 3000. I'm drifting away from an answer to your question, I know.

Don't they sell single reservoir>dual reservoir MC upgrade kits? I know the difference between the two regarding function. The plumbing I would suspect varies depending on which vehicle it's being installed in I would guess. Didn't some cars have like two distribution blocks, and others had one distribution block? I would 'think' it would be more or less your call as to 'how' you wanted to 'create' the brake system wouldn't it? I mean, you'd have to use at least one metering valve somewhere in the system, and I would think a distribution block would be better than a metering valve. But, wouldn't a combination valve be the best choice for any vehicle? As I said, I think it would depend on what vehicle you're doing this to, and how you want it to operate. Metering valve(s) would be the simplest but require more fine-tuning, a distribution block would be the next grade up (either one or two of them), and the combination valve would be the best choice right? There's a balance I think you have to achieve based upon size of wheels (front and back), type of calipers used (front and back) and the weight distribution of the car right? With the basic metering valve, I mean you're manually fine-tuning the back from the front of the vehicle aren't you. You want the back brakes to barely react before the front brakes correct?

Personally, I'd probably try to find a vendor who knows or has experience with an upgrade kit if they have one available.
Old November 12th, 2020, 06:05 PM
Running On Empty

CW - Well I see you have a 66 Toronado which is all original with 4 wheel drum power brakes. I'm not certain combination valves operate on 4 wheel drum power brakes.
I'd call these guys and speak to a technical representative with specific experience performing upgrades. They're located in Mooresville, NC - basically home to many NASCAR drivers, automotive racing companies, and of course the Earnhardt family. Might well be worth your time to talk with someone.

Master Power Brakes
110 Crosslake Park Dr
Mooresville, NC 28117
1-800-472-4181
https://www.mpbrakes.com/
Old November 12th, 2020, 09:53 PM

I was going to post something, then Norm's pics distracted me, and I forgot, so I scrolled those pics again several times until it came back. About 20 years ago, at my old house, I was sitting in the living room, and I heard a BANG, with a quick flash, power out. I glanced out the window to see a squirrel taking his last header to the ground. I called the power company to alert them to the blown transformer, and they said "are you sure that it was a transformer?" I replied "yup, I just saw a squirrel take a dive from the pole where it blew. Jamesbo, nice pool heater, but I would think that the solder would melt causing the water to leak all over the place. Mike with low mortgage rates, now might be the time to make that move.