The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2021, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - During my first two years of undergrad I worked summers on a concrete crew framing\pouring foundations & setting 10'H x 8" thick concrete walls (10" steel ties) in what are known as "Quads". Each concrete form weighed ~80# (10'H x 3"D x 4'W). . . . Exhausting work.
Norm - That sounds like a real bitch of a job, I can see why you'd be exhausted, even as a young man in your twenties. I would not have liked walking those 8' high walls with that kind of weight in my hands, sounds pretty damn dangerous. After I was 16, the summers after my junior and senior years in H.S., and 1st two summers of undergrad I worked landscaping. The company I worked for did a lot of large construction type projects like railroad tie and stone walls, and brick or flagstone patios. We also did destruction projects, taking out walls and concrete patios. 11-hour days, alot of digging, wheelbarrowing, sledging, and lifting. I know what you mean about being so exhausted you just collapse, but I enjoyed being outdoors.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 29th, 2021 at 07:31 AM.
Old April 29th, 2021, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That's the Coast Guard Station in the background, I was parked about 300 feet from there. There is a parking and picnic area there. Lake Michigan is on the horizon, with Muskegon State Park located on the right, across the channel.
Dan - The Lake Michigan shoreline in the summers is one of the things I really miss about Michigan. Tons of great memories going over there with my family as a child, wild times as a teen, and great fishing trips as an adult. Many beautiful areas, and alot of fun things to do. It sure would be nice to be wealthy and have a summer home up there, but alas I am not, and I just wouldn't tolerate those long Michigan winters up there anymore to live there year round.
Old April 29th, 2021, 08:35 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Dan - The Lake Michigan shoreline in the summers is one of the things I really miss about Michigan. Tons of great memories going over there with my family as a child, wild times as a teen, and great fishing trips as an adult. Many beautiful areas, and alot of fun things to do. It sure would be nice to be wealthy and have a summer home up there, but alas I am not, and I just wouldn't tolerate those long Michigan winters up there anymore to live there year round.
Chris, if you want to be horrified, google "Lake Michigan shoreline erosion 2020". It's a sad reality, the result of record high water, late winter galestorms, and, yes... climate change.
Old April 29th, 2021, 08:47 AM

Good morning guys,
Well, the day is getting away from me here, but we had a rough night last night, and no one probably got as much sleep as they needed. Severe thunderstorms rolled in sometime after midnight with alot of wind, rain, and severe lightning/thunder. Our male bulldog Monty suffers terribly during these storms, heavily panting and trembling. The storms went on for hours and my wife finally got up and took him out to the living room, while Maggie and I stayed in bed. Then sometime around 4:30 or 5:00 Maggie woke me up and needed to go outside, luckily the storms had stopped by then. Ugh!!! My wife was supposed to clean house for our neighbor today, but pushed it off until tomorrow because she's exhausted.

Supposed to get periods of more storms and rain throughout the day today. I can understand why there are Flash Flood Warnings in effect. No big plans for today.
Hope everyone has a great day!
Old April 29th, 2021, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Chris, if you want to be horrified, google "Lake Michigan shoreline erosion 2020". It's a sad reality, the result of record high water, late winter galestorms, and, yes... climate change.
Jeff - Sad, there's practically no stopping old Mother Nature when she rears her ugly head. I'm sure there are many residents who've lost homes/property, and many areas I've been to that I'd hardly recognize due to the erosion. Like I said, just sad!
Old April 29th, 2021, 01:09 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Did excellent this morning. Not a lot of wheels so we ended around 100 wheels and I walked out the door at 1130. Also took tomorrow off, so I'm' done for the week! We only work a few hours on Friday but this affords me sleeping in, and not driving 6+ hours in the afternoon after getting up at 0'Dark Thirty. And it gives me more time to do things I need to that I didn't get done all week.

Strike Two Jamesbo. If I brought the DUKW(either one of them) your lake would suddenly resemble Lake Garda. Minus the soldiers of course.

Beautiful out. Nice temperature. Gonna run an errand in a minute. See ya's.

Old April 29th, 2021, 01:37 PM

So, I'm trying to decide betwix 245 60 R 15 or 245 70 R 15

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike, May I jest park one on the shore [ DUWK ] for a while as yard art [shore art]
Old April 29th, 2021, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
So, I'm trying to decide betwix 245 60 R 15 or 245 70 R 15

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike, May I jest park one on the shore [ DUWK ] for a while as yard art [shore art]
James - Use this calculator that will give you a side by side visual comparison of the size of both tires:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...0r15-245-60r15
Obviously the tires are the same width (245 mm). The 245/70R-15's are much taller, almost like a truck tire size, and I think would funny on your car and there might even be a fitment issue in the front, especially with the steering turned. I'd definitely go with the 245/60R-15's, JMO.
Old April 29th, 2021, 02:52 PM

Tanks /Chris
Old April 29th, 2021, 02:56 PM

You're welcome!
Old April 29th, 2021, 05:35 PM

Good evening guys,
Thank goodness the severe weather moved out sooner than the weatherman predicted. It still rained pretty steady into the early afternoon, but no heavy winds and thunder. Anyone got a tractor and hay sickle they'll loan me. I believe I'm going to have to bale this yard when I attempt to mow tomorrow, won't be pretty. The weather is looking great for the car show Saturday, full sunshine and a high of 80, I'm excited!!

Have a great evening everybody!
Old April 29th, 2021, 06:07 PM
Always room for one more

I tell you I had the nicest evening. I had a couple letters to mail so Tiger and I set out to do just that. But being our Friday and since we were out we stopped at the Awful house. I was the only customer in there, because soon after I came in, the manager left and the sorry little girl that was left told everyone it was carry out only. Anyhoots, after we left we went to the $7 car wash that costs $8 and gave the dogmobile a good scrubbing. I scrubbed and scrubbed, and rinsed with the (non)high powered rinse, and it still looked dirty. Oh well, it does shine a little. Then we tried vacuuming with the free vacuum. It was no match for all the dog hair so we left. I know now I don't need to go back to that place, but I wanted a clean car for my trip to my friends'. I just won't put the hubcaps back on, it will look fine.

After that we drove around the neighborhood. I hadn't been past my old house in a while so we went past to say hi to Max. He's my first German Shepherd and he's buried in the back yard over there. Then we went past a guy's house, this guy let his house fall into ruin because he hated his wife. I thought someone was rebuilding it, but I think they are taking it apart methodically. Then it was back home. Beautiful evening out.

Jamesbo I will bring up the white DUKW. It runs fairly well and I'll get there quicker, I won't have to stop. Because it can't. Not sure your neighbors will be as enamored with it as you. Too bad for them.

It was hot as hell in here when we got back from Awful house, so I turned on the AC. It's comfortable now but the thing hasn't shut off in 2 1/2 hours. I haven't had a good heating and air guy in several years, I hope it doesn't decide to go tango uniform all of a sudden.

Well I think I'll do a little bookwork and then hit the sack. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old April 29th, 2021, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
I tell you I had the nicest evening.
Mike - Glad you had a nice evening! Safe travels and have fun at your friends house. I'll get some car show pics on here for you by the time you get home.
Old April 29th, 2021, 10:12 PM

Jamesbo, one o fthe reasons that I went with the 245-60x15's was they gave me the width that I wanted, and the diameter 26", which is close to the factory diameter for the old 70 series tires. '69 came with F-70x14, which is slightly smaller, the 245-60x15 are closer to the G-70x14 in diameter. I had originally put 245-60x14's on the back, but they were too small in diameter (25"), and didn't fill the wheelwell very well. Chris, not sure if you were on this thread when I posted this pic from Silver Lake. Another joy of living by the big Lake.

Old April 30th, 2021, 03:22 AM

Headed norte

Mike, I'm trying to figure out how you get the DUWK from point A to point B Do you have some bricks [or concrete blocks] on ropes you toss over the side and under the wheels when you want to stop

Have a great weekend Olds friends

Thanks for all of your help guys, I just ordered 5 245 R 60 15" I'll get them mounted next week
Old April 30th, 2021, 05:13 AM

Chris, not sure if you were on this thread when I posted this pic from Silver Lake. Another joy of living by the big Lake.
Dan - I must not have been on this thread yet when you originally posted that. It's hard to wrap your brain around what's going on in that photo when you first look at it, but it's got to be a migrating dune! Like I said before, almost impossible to stop Mother Nature when she sets her mind on doing something. I went to Sleeping Bear Dunes several times when I was young. I've been to Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado 3 times and it's spectacular. The dunes there are incredibly huge, and go on for miles and miles. They remind me of scenes from Lawrence of Arabia.

Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado

Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 30th, 2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old April 30th, 2021, 07:38 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out this morning. Good day for a long drive. Although I'll be thinking about all the things I should be doing rather than going to a party.

Wasn't planning on the Awful house this morning, but relented and we went a little later. Missed all my people but had a nice time. It was nice to sleep in on a school day. I'd say everyone's about ready to leave work by now.

Chris you weren't around yet to see that picture? Didn't you know it's a prerequisite for the new people to go to the beginning of the thread and read everything up to this point? That's only 34000 posts, shouldn't take too long. Kind of like what Jerry Seinfeld said on the anniversary show- If you just joined us, here's what you missed.

So I need to be sly and get all my stuff together without Tiger realizing what I'm doing. I'll take him to the kennel then come back to get my stuff. Last time I loaded up the car and then dropped him off on the way out. I can't tell you how upset he was when he figured out he wasn't going with me. Not gonna do that again.

Jamesbo that's an easy one. I don't drive it. I move it around the yard now and then but that's only at .xx miles an hour. Not sure I'd really want to drive it around on the street, you can't see a thing from the driver's seat. It's much easy to operate in the water.

So here's how smart I am. Actually I couldn't have known. It's safe to say I won't be needing the wood stove anymore, but there's a bunch of stuff in there that hasn't been burned yet. I figured since the AC was on I'd crank it up, burn up what's in there real quick and then I can take it all apart for cleaning and it will be ready for next winter. Well, some of the cardboard started burning and all it did was produce smoke, which by the way wasn't going up the chimney. It all backed up out of the door and the air intake. Filled the whole living room with smoke. Last time I used it everything was fine, so I didn't even think this would happen. I turned on the ceiling fan in the living room and opened the kitchen door, and placed a box fan so it would push the smoke outside. But since the air was on it pumped the smoke throughout the whole house. I left the ceiling fan in the bedroom on all night to keep the smoke out so I could sleep without choking. Still smells a little in here this morning but not bad. I sure hope nothing has busted the screen on the chimney outside and built a nest.

Okay gonna get ready and go. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old April 30th, 2021, 08:33 AM
Jeff

Holy smokes, Mike! Sorry, I couldn't stop myself from typing that. I'm a professional dad-joke-teller.

I feel bad for the owner of that place in Silver Lake whose house was gobbled up by the dunes. He was able to keep it at bay for a while, then a big storm hit, and BAM, lost the war.
Old April 30th, 2021, 08:49 AM

Chris, those dunes are amazing in Colorado. It would be to easy to get lost there.
Old April 30th, 2021, 09:08 AM

Chris, those dunes are amazing in Colorado. It would be to easy to get lost there.
Yes it would be if you were the only ones there and there were no landmarks. If you hike to the top of highest dune which is called Star Dune (750 ft. above the base of the dunes), you can see the parking area. The times I've been there, there has always been at least a fair amount of folks making the trek up to the top of Star Dune, or at least trying. Most do not realize how far and how high they have to go to get to the summit and have to turn around. My wife and I are experienced mountain hikers and I still think it took us over 2-hours to get there. Uphill in loose sand is like 2-steps forward, 1-step back!
Old April 30th, 2021, 10:47 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Is your last name Griswold? Have a pleasant weekend, buddy.
I've traveled to, camped etc. the many dunes of the Eastern shores of Lake Michigan many times from Indiana Dunes northward through Warren Dunes, Holland, Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc. I enjoy the area around Leland, MI. Sometimes we'd go out to the Manitou Islands - very pleasant. I've never been to those Colorado Dunes - they look enormous. Bad day putting but I was striking the ball solid all morning (42/41) against 25mph - 35mph winds. Makes it rather tiresome walking with a push cart against the wind, aside from the wind a pleasant day of pasture pool.
There's an entire town (Singapore, MI) buried under ~15' of sand North of Saugatulk, MI.
I don't know what happened to the house from the picture Dan posted (it was probably buried and lost) but here's a different angle to the same picture. It's the unattached garage from above the roof line.

Old April 30th, 2021, 10:56 AM
Jeff

Norm, I learn something interesting when I least expect it. I just got done reading the short wiki entry on Singapore.

And yes, that poor house in the pic has been lost as well. https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...lowed-by-sand/

The Dressler's lost their battle. Unfortunately, the State of MI made them stop moving sand, so it was inevitable.
Old April 30th, 2021, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Norm, I learn something interesting when I least expect it. I just got done reading the short wiki entry on Singapore.
Me too, never heard about that before! Thanks Norm!
Old April 30th, 2021, 02:47 PM

$#%&!*@#&$ SOB - The car show for tomorrow has been rescheduled for 15 May due to some conflict at the private Catholic School where it was supposed to be held! The car is all dressed up and nowhere to go. Major bummer!

Actually, there is a cruise-in at the DQ in DeSoto tomorrow evening, the town where the vintage Texaco Station is that I posted the pics of. The cruise-in does not start until 5:00 pm, but I may go and leave by 7:00 to be home before dark. My night vision is not all that great anymore, and I don't have modern LED headlights on the car. I will make a decision tomorrow morning. Got all my chores done today, so tomorrow is open. I should probably go, I promised Mike some car show pictures and if I don't deliver he may just come up here and whoop my ***!
Old April 30th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Bummer the car show is postponed. If the weather is going to be good you should go. Think about grabbing a local little motel for the night, relax, talk, local dinner, no pressure, leisure evening - some people call it retirement.
Old April 30th, 2021, 03:11 PM
Running On Empty

This weekend's weather looks very nice. Possibility of scattered thunderstorms Monday - which is my next normal golf day. Tuesday I depart for Wells Fargo Championship, Quail Hollow Club, Charlotte, NC. I'll be a Marshal on Hole #10, (toughest hole on the course) Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday. A nice field of players.

Player Field
Old April 30th, 2021, 03:12 PM

Chris - Bummer the car show is postponed. If the weather is going to be good you should go. Think about grabbing a local little motel for the night, relax, talk, local dinner, no pressure, leisure evening - some people call it retirement.
Norm - The town is not far enough away to warrant a motel stay, it's only 20-miles from me. I'm just wary about driving home in the dark for the reasons mentioned. Going to wait and make a decision after hearing from my buddy who owns the '66 Vette to see if he is interested in going. I've been wanting to take the car down there anyway to get some pics of it at the Texaco Station, this may be the perfect opportunity.
Old April 30th, 2021, 03:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - The town is not far enough away to warrant a motel stay, it's only 20-miles from me. I'm just wary about driving home in the dark for the reasons mentioned. Going to wait and make a decision after hearing from my buddy who owns the '66 Vette to see if he is interested in going. I've been wanting to take the car down there anyway to get some pics of it at the Texaco Station, this may be the perfect opportunity.
I understand the distance is short (20 miles), but....if you have to hurry to get home because of night vision issues, why rush?
Old April 30th, 2021, 03:19 PM

This weekend's weather looks very nice. Possibility of scattered thunderstorms Monday - which is my next normal golf day. Tuesday I depart for Wells Fargo Championship, Quail Hollow Club, Charlotte, NC. I'll be a Marshal on Hole #10, (toughest hole on the course) Wednesday, Thursday & Saturday. A nice field of players.

Player Field
That should be a good time! I did look over the player field and there are a bunch of big names in there! Hope the weather is good for you.
Old April 30th, 2021, 10:58 PM

I may have mentioned the town of Singapore way back when I first posted pics of the Dressler house. I heard about it growing up due to the fact that my mom was from that area, (Fennville, Mi.) and we had family & friends that lived just a few minutes south of Saugatuck on the old Blue Star Highway, whom we got together with many times growing up. My mom's best friend from her childhood's uncle, had 80 acres with a spring fed pond. We had many picnics there during the summer. The good old days.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 05:19 AM

Good morning guys,
I went to the cruise-in at the DQ in DeSoto about 20-miles from me yesterday evening. This DQ holds their cruise-ins monthly on the 1st Saturday every month spring thru fall, but this is the 1st one they've had in over a year because of Covid. I'm glad I got there a little early (4:45) to find a place to park because there was already probably 40 cars there, and the place became packed with cars and spectators by 5:30. You sure could tell everyone was itching to get out with their cars and enjoy the beautiful weather. which was sunny, and 80 with a slight hint of a cool breeze. I had a really great time taking my car out, and several great discussions with other owners and spectators. The owner of the '46 ****** Jeep was parked right next to me and he was a really nice guy, and the couple that own the '68 4-4-2 purposely parked near me when they saw my car as they arrived. Good times!!! Even got pics for our buddy Mike!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 2nd, 2021 at 05:27 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 05:24 AM

More cruise-in pics, of course I saved the best for last . . . LoL

Old May 2nd, 2021, 07:32 AM

Nice pic Chris, Even the 68 "might get Joe P's stamp of approval for the W-36 fender stripe
Old May 2nd, 2021, 07:40 AM

Nice pic Chris, Even the 68 "might get Joe P's stamp of approval for the W-36 fender stripe
Thanks James!
Old May 2nd, 2021, 07:43 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Was DQ actually open for business?

I think I may hit the range.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 07:45 AM

The DQ's around here are dive in service only.. I often stop on the way to the lake for a Brazier burger
Old May 2nd, 2021, 07:46 AM

Chris - Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Was DQ actually open for business?

I think I may hit the range.
Thanks Norm! Yes, they were open for business, even indoor dining, but still reduced capacity restrictions. DQ is actually the official sponsor for the cruise-in.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 08:04 AM
Running On Empty

The DQ's around here are dive in service only.. I often stop on the way to the lake for a Brazier burger
What, they have like a pool full of burgers and you just dive in?
Old May 2nd, 2021, 09:16 AM
Running On Empty

Old May 2nd, 2021, 09:57 AM

Looks like a beautiful day there, enjoy! We're looking at scattered storms and showers today thru Tuesday, no fun outdoor activities for awhile