The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2021, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Good eveing...or good morning, one of the two. Slow at work, very unusual for this time of year. Apparently no new orders for the next two weeks, that only happens at the end of the year, Nov/Dec.They were giving out lack of work passes, I declined, but may take one Friday if they are still offering them. I have seen nothing in the news about Boeing nor Pratt Whitney cutting back. Boeing has lost an order or two due to the 737 Max fiasco, but other airlines have placed orders for them, negating some of the loss.
Dan - Can you fill in some blanks for me? I thought you worked for a boat manufacturer? I got lost when you started talking about Boeing and Pratt Whitney? Do you actually work for a company producing airplane components now??? I'm a little slow!
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:59 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
James, I also had trouble with the "crab" style dist cab on those Chevy V8's. I found you need a high quality cap, GM or Echlin or simular with good brass contacts/bars in it. If you get a cheap aftermarket cap with aluminum bars in it it will give ya troubles especially when wet/humid. It was a real PIA on the vans cuz you had to take off the center cover inside to get to the dist cap. Chris, Olds is "out" but not really been driven yet, needs a good cleaning, etc.
I can second that on the distributor caps. I owned a 2000 S Blazer years ago, and when I changed the cap, I used a non-ACDelco and the truck ran like absolute garbage. When I took it back to Murrays (pre-OReilly's days), the counter guy actually got mad that one of the other guys in their store sold the off brand to me. "We're not even supposed to stock these anymore because they always get returned. GM engines need to have the proper OEM replacements!" He was seriously angry, and very apologetic. Anyway, put the Delco cap on, and it ran like a champ again. That was the last off-brand part that ever went on that truck.
Old May 5th, 2021, 08:19 AM
Running On Empty

Roy Williams playing in Will Zalatoris PROAM group just came to my green. Largest gallery I’ve seen today.
Old May 5th, 2021, 01:49 PM

Norm, I hope the skies were Carolina Blue
Old May 5th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Running On Empty

James - Thanks. They are indeed.
Old May 5th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

On my feet all day (12 hrs). Same place - Cafe South - homemade chicken pot pie, candied yams, corn & cornbread. Off tomorrow. Maybe take a piece of homemade carrot cake back to room.

I don’t know how Jon Rahm played today, but he was talking it up & enjoying himself. Nice to see he’s hopefully settling in with his emotions because he’s a very good golfer. Maybe his wife Kelley is here.
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:22 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got back this afternoon. It was an unbelievable trip home. No problems getting on the plane in Reno, no problems connecting in SLC, and, the gates were right across from each other, and we got home early and I was able to go get Tiger. We're both glad to be home tonight.

Yes Norm I was indeed at the National Automobile Museum. I've been going there to volunteer since 94. Spent most of my time freeing up the shifter forks for a 1937 Hispano-Suiza, and also trying to get the bearings out of the front drums. Had a ball. Also hung some pictures in the front hallway and of course spent some time polishing the Jerrari.

Jamesbo I hope that limb down doesn't reignite the wanting of taking down your trees.

Chris you did not own a 93 GMC 1500 4x4 SuperCab. Because it was a GMC and SuperCab is a Ford name. Not a fan of Ford trucks. I'll stick with my Silverado. Although I do own a jr Ford truck and I like it a lot.

Well I'm gonna hit the sack now, work tomorrow and Friday then the weekend. It seems like I've been away for a really long time. I can tell you I'm beat. I'll do some more catching up tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old May 5th, 2021, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
On my feet all day (12 hrs). Same place - Cafe South - homemade chicken pot pie, candied yams, corn & cornbread. Off tomorrow. Maybe take a piece of homemade carrot cake back to room.
Norm - That is a long time to be on your feet. Glad you were able to get a nice meal at the end of the day! I love good carrot cake, one of my favorites. Wife and I hit our 2-week pt. since the 2nd shot yesterday. Tomorrow we're going to one of our favorite restaurants for our first "eat-in" meal since the Covid business started. It will be her Mother's Day dinner instead of fighting the crowds on Sunday.
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:54 PM

Good evening guys,
Gorgeous day here, sunny and 70. With rain all day yesterday, and more projected for tomorrow, and Saturday and Sunday, I went out and mowed just the front and sides. I had mowed the back really short when I mowed on Monday. I could have planned to mow on Friday, but there is a huge car cruise Friday afternoon/evening that I'm planning on going to. It's held at a huge church about 20-miles northwest of me in a suburb of St. Louis. It is the biggest monthly cruise in the St. Louis area and draws hundreds of really nice cars.

Also went out for a ride for about an hour and a half this afternoon, just cruising around to some of the small towns just north and south of me. Great day to be out on the bike, very relaxing! Hope everyone had a great day, and has a nice evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 5th, 2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old May 5th, 2021, 10:50 PM

Chris, I worked for Chris Craft back in the mid '70's, my first good job. I currently work for Howmet Aerospace (formerly Alcoa), and we make blades and airfoils for G.E. and Pratt Whitney jet engines. That compromises about 95% of what is done at this location in Michigan. we also make titanium alloy componenets for mobile Howitzers at an adjoining plant, which also makes castings for the turbo impellers used in the big diesel truck engines ( Detroit Diesel, Catapillar, etc.) The G.E. engines are for commercial aircraft, I.E. Boeing and Airbus, while the Pratt Whitney application is for the JSF (F35) program.
Old May 6th, 2021, 06:22 AM

Chris, I worked for Chris Craft back in the mid '70's, my first good job. I currently work for Howmet Aerospace (formerly Alcoa), and we make blades and airfoils for G.E. and Pratt Whitney jet engines. That compromises about 95% of what is done at this location in Michigan. we also make titanium alloy componenets for mobile Howitzers at an adjoining plant, which also makes castings for the turbo impellers used in the big diesel truck engines ( Detroit Diesel, Catapillar, etc.) The G.E. engines are for commercial aircraft, I.E. Boeing and Airbus, while the Pratt Whitney application is for the JSF (F35) program.
Dan - Thanks for filling in the blanks. Cool you work in the Aerospace industry, heck I may have even flown on a plane with engine parts you helped manufacture! Both my Grand Pa's and one Uncle worked their entire lives in automotive related industries in Battle Creek. My Grand Pa and Uncle on my Dad's side worked for Eaton Corporation's valve division, and my Grand Pa on my Mom's side worked for Federal Mogul making bearings.
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:19 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - F-35 is insane. Great piece of air Arsenal.
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:48 AM

Chris - F-35 is insane. Great piece of air Arsenal.
Yep, they're awesome fighters!
Old May 6th, 2021, 10:15 AM

Here's a list of aircraft and engines that we supply airfoils and blades for. GE90 used in the 777 & 777-300ER, GEnx 787 & 747-8, The LEAP program, 737 MAX, A320, A320Neo, A321Neo. Comac C919. The orders of LEAP blades just started up again about a month ago, now that the 737MAX has been cleared for use again. Boeing had over 300 737 MAX aircraft in storage while the legalities and problems with that aircraft were sorted out. I have made parts for all of the above. Currently i am in the first phase of manufacture for the JSF blades, Myself and one other person on my shift run these pretty much daily. I used to be one of the designated LEAP operators, but the JSF became a higher priority, and they are more difficult to run w/o scrap issues ( I have very low scrap) I still run LEAP from time to time, but they finally trained a couple of others to run them, which is good, as it can get monotonous after awhile.
Old May 6th, 2021, 12:49 PM

Here's a list of aircraft and engines that we supply airfoils and blades for. GE90 used in the 777 & 777-300ER, GEnx 787 & 747-8, The LEAP program, 737 MAX, A320, A320Neo, A321Neo. Comac C919. The orders of LEAP blades just started up again about a month ago, now that the 737MAX has been cleared for use again. Boeing had over 300 737 MAX aircraft in storage while the legalities and problems with that aircraft were sorted out. I have made parts for all of the above. Currently i am in the first phase of manufacture for the JSF blades, Myself and one other person on my shift run these pretty much daily.
Wow Dan, that's quite a resume! Honestly, I do not know what all of those aircraft platforms are, but I'm going to look up the ones I don't know. With all that experience you must be a pretty valuable guy around there!
Old May 6th, 2021, 03:56 PM

Good evening guys,
Stormy here this morning, with periods of showers on and off until 3:00. Sun came out later this afternoon and it's very windy and cool behind the front.

Lazy morning watching the rain and doing some bills. This afternoon when the sun came out and I could get some better light I spent a little time touching up 4 or 5 very small areas on my 4-4-2's inner hood where it looked like the flat black paint had a hint of rust starting. I had purchased the Rustoleum flat black paint that is supposed to bond with rust and convert it to a surface that will not rust anymore. Color seemed to match fine, I'll take a couple pics after it's done curing and post them. Next, I'm going to touch up a few small areas on the intake and heads, and a larger area on the front of the oil pan. I have not searched yet for a thread on this site, but does anyone know off hand what brand has the best paint match to the burnt copper color of the '67 motors, and if whoever that is, has it in a small non-aerosol can vs. a rattle can?

The weather's looking good for the large cruise tomorrow, sunny and 70, with low chance of rain. I'm pumped! Maybe it's because having my car and taking it to these events is still relatively new to me, but I really enjoy them. I really enjoy seeing the other cars and talking cars with the other owners, and the spectators. Also, so much more enjoyable now that I've been vaccinated.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old May 6th, 2021, 03:56 PM

Good evening guys,
Stormy here this morning, with periods of showers on and off until 3:00. Sun came out later this afternoon and it's very windy and cool behind the front.

Lazy morning watching the rain and doing some bills. This afternoon when the sun came out and I could get some better light I spent a little time touching up 4 or 5 very small areas on my 4-4-2's inner hood where it looked like the flat black paint had a hint of rust starting. I had purchased the Rustoleum flat black paint that is supposed to bond with rust and convert it to a surface that will not rust anymore. Color seemed to match fine, I'll take a couple pics after it's done curing and post them. Next, I'm going to touch up a few small areas on the intake and heads, and a larger area on the front of the oil pan. I have not searched yet for a thread on this site, but does anyone know off hand what brand has the best paint match to the burnt copper color of the '67 motors, and if whoever that is, has it in a small non-aerosol can vs. a rattle can?

The weather's looking good for the large cruise tomorrow, sunny and 70, with low chance of rain. I'm pumped! Maybe it's because having my car and taking it to these events is still relatively new to me, but I really enjoy them. I really enjoy seeing the other cars and talking cars with the other owners, and the spectators. Also, so much more enjoyable now that I've been vaccinated.

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old May 6th, 2021, 05:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful here all day and not too warm. A little chilly in the morning but nothing a light jacket can't take care of. Oh look, Friday already. It's going to be nice this weekend. Hope I can finish up at the shop.

Work went well, and we got out around 2. My former wall guy came back to visit and we talked quite awhile and I got home after 3. That's okay, it was nice to see him and hear how he's liking the hangar.

Dan is all of Alcoa gone now, or just your plant renamed? I'm sure several of your blades are sitting out on our ramp right now.

Chris good luck at the show. Is it going to be judged or is it a cruise in? Take more pictures. Some of us need to live vicariously for now. Lots of MOPARs, hehe.

Okay bed. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old May 6th, 2021, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat

Chris good luck at the show. Is it going to be judged or is it a cruise in? Take more pictures. Some of us need to live vicariously for now. Lots of MOPARs, hehe.
Mike - It's not a judged show, it's a very large cruise-in. There usually is a very nice selection of MOPARs there and I will try to get you pics of all the nicest ones.
Old May 6th, 2021, 11:11 PM

Chris I'm not one to sound my own horn, I'm there to work. 6 years ago, I left the dept. that I'm in to aviod 3rd shift, my boss at the time, didn't want me to leave, and was glad to get me back six months later. First shift boss, whom I've never worked for, told others in my dept. that I did quality work. Co workers have appraoched me and said they were glad when i was running a job that they would be working on because my parts were free of defects, which meant no re-working on their part. We do what we call mold sheets, these are molds that are made to test parts, or go under analysis by engineering for a myriad of reasons. I have had an engineer ask "who is going to run this mold sheet", to which I replied, "me". "Good" was their reply back. Try Fusick for the bronze paint that you need for your engine. Mike, Alcoa is alive and well. In 2017 Alcoa split into two separate companies, Alcoa and Arconic. Alcoa is raw materials (aluminum ore) etc. Arconic was/is manufacturing of finished goods like our blades and airfoils. Barely two years ago, Arconic was split into two separate companies, Arconic and Howmet Aerospace (where I work was Howmet before Alcoa bought us in 1999). The reason for the split was to sell the companies. When the board of Arconic ( Elliot Management Group) couldn't get the money that they wanted for the business, they made the second split, now both Arconic & Howmet Aerospace are for sale. Elliot Management Group is nothing more that an investment group that bought Arconic for the sole purpose of flipping the company for a profit.
Old May 7th, 2021, 02:28 AM
Running On Empty

Thunder boomers passed through ~3am, up at oh dark thirty, on bus to tournament grounds, then a full day chasing *****.
Old May 7th, 2021, 04:58 AM

Chris I'm not one to sound my own horn, I'm there to work. 6 years ago, I left the dept. that I'm in to aviod 3rd shift, my boss at the time, didn't want me to leave, and was glad to get me back six months later. First shift boss, whom I've never worked for, told others in my dept. that I did quality work. Co workers have appraoched me and said they were glad when i was running a job that they would be working on because my parts were free of defects, which meant no re-working on their part. We do what we call mold sheets, these are molds that are made to test parts, or go under analysis by engineering for a myriad of reasons. I have had an engineer ask "who is going to run this mold sheet", to which I replied, "me". "Good" was their reply back. Try Fusick for the bronze paint that you need for your engine.
Dan - Nothing wrong with being good at what you do and taking pride in your work. The fact others' take notice is a testament to the quality of your work!

Thanks for the tip on Fusick, I thought of them last night and checked their website, it looks like they have the correct color, but sounds like it's only in an aerosol can. I'm going to call and see if they have smaller non-aerosol touch-up tubes with the little brush in the tube or small non-aerosol cans. The areas I want to touch up are very small and I want to avoid any overspray mist from aerosol if possible. Also, although the current color of my engine looks correct, it could be from another vendor like VHT and be slightly off from Fusick's, I'd hate to buy a $19 can of Fusick's when I don't need that much and it may not match???

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 7th, 2021 at 05:07 AM.
Old May 7th, 2021, 06:04 AM

Good morning guys,
Just plain nippy here this morning at 45-degrees at 0730. Supposed to warm up nicely though this afternoon to 73, mostly sunshine, and only 10% chance of a shower. Should be a beautiful afternoon/evening for the car cruise-in.

No other big plans for today, got chores done yesterday. My wife changed her cleaning day to today, so I'll be on pup patrol until she gets home around 1230 or 1300. They literally pout when she's gone, sleeping 80% of the time.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old May 7th, 2021, 06:17 AM

I can't decide whether to put on my flip flops or buy a Christmas tree. Crazy weather
Old May 7th, 2021, 06:22 AM
Jeff

Elliot Management Group is nothing more that an investment group that bought Arconic for the sole purpose of flipping the company for a profit.
As a financial analyst, these types of companies really make me angry. Private equity firms have driven so many brands out of business by coming in and thinking they know how to run a business and split it up to make a quick buck.

It's especially bad in the retail industry:
Sears / Kmart (related b/c the same private equity company drove them both into the ground)
Art Van
Toys r' Us
Fairway
Sports Authority
Payless Shoes
Old May 7th, 2021, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
As a financial analyst, these types of companies really make me angry. Private equity firms have driven so many brands out of business by coming in and thinking they know how to run a business and split it up to make a quick buck.

It's especially bad in the retail industry:
Sears / Kmart (related b/c the same private equity company drove them both into the ground)
Art Van
Toys r' Us
Fairway
Sports Authority
Payless Shoes
Jeff - I agree with you a 100%, very aggravating. It's a shame when the almighty dollar wins out above all else!
Old May 7th, 2021, 08:57 AM

Jeff, that's the truth. They are there for the money, nothing more.
Old May 7th, 2021, 10:50 AM

Soooooooooooooooooo, I've had these 5 15" SS II bolt on center rims stacked up in the boxes they were sent to me in in a corner of the garage for 10+ years. When I decided to buy new 15: tires I opened the top box just to test fix and make sure. This morning I took the other 4 unopened boxes to the tire shop to have the new tires mounted

Surprise, Surprise, The top box I opened must have been the spare sans beauty rings, center caps
They even had a plastic bag with new lug nuts. I wish I could remember who I bought them from

I guess ya can't fix stupid

Old May 7th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day out, a little breezy but sunny. Work was good, got out later than I would have liked. One of those days no one was in a hurry, and our lead wasn't there, so everyone lollygagged around. Maddening.

Jamesbo the wheels look good. Like the phone woman told Koda, you have to drive one day every two weeks so the letters don't turn brown.

There's only been one attempt of a corporate takeover of my company since I've been there, maybe ever. Back in our dark days of bankruptcy the guy who ran America West/USAir wanted to "merge" with Delta, he said it would be a perfect fit. Actually he was just trying to add to his empire. A junior Lorenzo is what I got out of it. Luckily the board members saw right through him and voted it down. We instead were saddled with Northwest and actually became Northwest, but with our name. The USAir guy went on to talk American into "merging" and he's done nothing but screw up an otherwise good company. When Robert Crandall ran American everyone hated him but they loved their jobs, it was a tight ship. By the way, when that guy(I can't think of his name right now) lost out on the Delta deal, he went out and got drunk, then was picked up for drunk driving. Douche.

Think I'll run over to the shop for a little bit. I also need to check out a shop to see if they do front end work. The Aura's right front tire is wearing more and more, and if I don't do something soon the junkyard tire on the left will start to wear, and I'll be right back where I was.

Okay have a great weekend everyone. Gonna be nice here.

Old May 7th, 2021, 11:50 AM

James - Those look really nice! I forget, did you decide to go with the 245/60R-15's?
Old May 7th, 2021, 12:32 PM

Chris yep
The only defense [read excuse] I have is they were really packed perfectly Styrofoam top and bottom in well sealed boxes .
The truth be know I've had them so long I forgot I had 5 instead of 4
Old May 7th, 2021, 03:37 PM
Running On Empty

James - I bet if you look real hard they even have a date code.
Old May 7th, 2021, 03:52 PM

James - I bet if you look real hard they even have a date code.
Norm I year only [so I'm told]
Old May 7th, 2021, 04:12 PM

Every time I buy tires I think of my dad [depressions logic] He'd always buy 3 new tires and put the spare on the ground and keep his best used tire as a spare. I'm fairly certain, I've pi$$ed away more money on cars/tires than he ever did
Old May 7th, 2021, 07:41 PM

Good evening guys,
Kinda PO'ed right now, just burned about a1/3 of the top crust of the cherry pie I was baking. Oh well, at least 2/3 should be edible, and I can scrape the top off the rest.

The cruise in was great! It was partly sunny and 73. Perfect for walking around looking at the other cars and just sitting greeting spectators. There were a couple of nice 4-4-2's, a '65 and a '68. I didn't take a pic of my car this time. Lots of other nice cars there and alot of variety, even some nice MOPAR's for Mike. Here's some pics for everyone.

Old May 7th, 2021, 07:46 PM

More pics for everyone!

Old May 7th, 2021, 08:44 PM
Always room for one more

Chris the pictures look great! Thanks for the pictures of Mother. Mother Mopar. I see you did indeed sneak a picture of your car in there, but cleverly disguised it as a 57 Chevy. My favorite is the orange and white Road Runner with the Go Wing on the trunk. Close second is the gold RR. Not a fan of the redlines, though.

Didn't get a whole lot accomplished at the shop today. On the way over I stopped at that garage and he said to bring my car in next Wednesday and he'd take a look. Went to the shop and saw my neighbor across the street pushing things around so I stopped to help. Then I went to the neighbor down the street and he said he wanted my VW parts car. One less wreck to worry about. So it was a productive day anyway.

So I just got around to flipping my calendar over and I remembered, like the good statistician that I am, I've never bought a car in the month of May. Also, none of the cars that I've ever bought have been built in May. I find this odd, but I don't think this will be the year that record falls. I still look, I always look, but nothing has been popping up. Sort of like my house hunting. Ah well, May is a tough one.

Okay I'm gonna hit the sack. Awful house in the morning, I haven't been in so long. Have a good night everyone.

Old May 7th, 2021, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris the pictures look great! Thanks for the pictures of Mother. Mother Mopar. I see you did indeed sneak a picture of your car in there, but cleverly disguised it as a 57 Chevy. My favorite is the orange and white Road Runner with the Go Wing on the trunk. Close second is the gold RR. Not a fan of the redlines, though.
You're welcome Mike. My favorite MOPAR was the gold RR. I liked the orange one too, but the gold one was a 4-speed car with the six pack carb set-up and air grabber hood. I figured you guys were getting sick of seeing my car, that's why I tried to disguise it as the '57 Chevy, should have known I couldn't get anything past you! The '65 4-4-2 was pretty nice, the '68 had some kind of tricked out restomod stuff going on and I didn't car for it too much.
Old May 8th, 2021, 12:01 AM

Jamesbo, the wheels and tires look good. Nice suprise for yourself. Chris, nice pics. I'm assuming that the GT40 was a replica.

Last edited by 1969w3155; May 8th, 2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old May 8th, 2021, 03:25 AM

Tanks for the kind words about my new shoes

After morning funeral, I'm heading norte

Anyone need any 14": rollers [wheels with tires] let me know I think I have 8 or10 make that 11 I have one bolted to the outside garage wall I use as a hose reel that has enough lead weights on it to make a cannon ball