The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2021, 03:35 AM

Norm, I believe so but not certain
Old November 30th, 2021, 03:38 AM
Running On Empty

James - I think you'll have a single handled joystick on the MSL front-end loader but I don't know. I should look it up.
Old November 30th, 2021, 03:43 AM

yes, up down, side to side tilts the bucket

The only extras I got was the tiller and the quick attach hitch [ only because it was thrown in for free. The 2 leavers on the top lock down on the implement so you don't need pins. I'd never seen one for the 3 point hitch but I've seen similar ones for quick attaching front end loaders

The owner's manual even show me how to buckle myseat belt
Old November 30th, 2021, 04:28 AM

Ralph, Plans for truck this winter are to remove, repair, paint front sheet metal. Sort of like you would 1st trim a room in your house if you were painting it- 1st the edges with a brush, inside doors, around windows, etc. Then come back with a roller. Only in this case its -take apart rusty old parts, get rust off and repair holes, prime and paint, Paint edges inside, bottom of hood and fenders, paint inside of outer fenders with bed liner ( as when driving down road all stones, etc. come up from tire ). If you look at that pic I posted a few back you can see the green paint that is edged out on the cab and box. That is what I did 2 years ago to cab, and last winter to the box/rear fenders, and am doing the the front this year. I work on truck as a project each winter but hope to have it back operational to drive in summer by March/ April. Plans were winter of 22 paint whole outside of truck ( Use a roller- no... ) , but now I may have a guy paint it for me- we'll see. Oh yeah truck is going to be "Meadow Green" the original color.
Old November 30th, 2021, 04:47 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - The 1953 GMC truck I owned and was restoring in California in 1975-1976 had an original green color, as well. I have no idea what it was called, but it was the typical green of its time. I sold that truck after nearly 95% of the restoration was complete so I never got to see if someone painted it. I loved those side Opera windows - they were so cool. My Mom owned this push-button transmission Rambler (1950s something I believe) and it was hand painted with a brush - I **** you not. And, it was this gawd-awful looking pinkish orange. I think she had it for about one year. The thing ran fantastic but it was sure buck-ugly.
Old November 30th, 2021, 05:06 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The thing ran fantastic but it was sure buck-ugly.
Norm, You failed to mention the "drive-in movie seats"
Old November 30th, 2021, 05:14 AM
Running On Empty

James - Speaking of drive-ins our family used to go to the Drive-In at least once each month. Those were such cool times - hanging the speaker from the window, watching that giant screen, going to the snack bar, eating in the car - great times. Of course that was followed with our own H.S. shenanigans of packing the trunk with friends to sneak in. It was interesting when I was in the military living in California early 1970s - lots of folks brought their pick-up trucks and backed them into the aisles loading up the truck bed with lawn chairs and tables to view the movies. We never saw that in Northern Illinois that I can recall.
Old November 30th, 2021, 05:26 AM

When I went to Oxford in rural Ga. There was a dive in that was all grass with small hills to park on to elevated the front of your car a little bit. They showed 20 year old movies and during intermission played Bingo . Usually the grand prize was a Tupperware piece
Old November 30th, 2021, 05:33 AM
Running On Empty

Yeah, most of the Drive-Ins I've gone to had elevated rows so the car's front-end was raised for viewing the big screen. Most had a small park with a toy/swing-set and stuff. Now that you mention it there were some giveaways during intermission or something like that.
Old November 30th, 2021, 07:15 AM

James, understood on the digger roles.

Norm, it's a Marantz 300DC. Solid state, heavy duty, separate everything per channel, 150 wpc. Heat is pretty much uniform on either side, it does lose the right channel for a bit while warming up but it's back in under 30 seconds. Little bit of an audible transformer hum, but very quiet. Thing sounds great on the new speakers. Another device in the chain is a preamp between the front and the back. I need to back off the adjustment to the rear speakers as they are closer to me than the fronts.

Old November 30th, 2021, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Ralph, Plans for truck this winter are to remove, repair, paint front sheet metal. . . . . . Oh yeah truck is going to be "Meadow Green" the original color.
Greg - Thanks for filling me in on the plans going forward with the truck. I remembered seeing the picks of the box and rear fenders you did last winter. Wasn't sure if you'd get all the rest of the exterior done this winter or not. Nice that you have a winter project to take up part of your time. I was way off base on the color! I like seeing those old trucks in a vintage green color! Good luck going by forward!
Old November 30th, 2021, 07:54 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm, it's a Marantz 300DC. Solid state, heavy duty, separate everything per channel, 150 wpc. Heat is pretty much uniform on either side, it does lose the right channel for a bit while warming up but it's back in under 30 seconds. Little bit of an audible transformer hum, but very quiet. Thing sounds great on the new speakers. Another device in the chain is a preamp between the front and the back. I need to back off the adjustment to the rear speakers as they are closer to me than the fronts.
There is no end-user bias adjustment on a Marantz 300DC - it's built-in, but nearly all Class A amplifiers have no bias adjustments (other than what is built-in) or any offsets. You might have a bias adjustment on your pre-amp, I don't know. If I had more time I could lookup to see what the normal (nominal) bias of a Marantz 300DC actually is, but I'm sure you'll move along accordingly. I did see on several forums where Marantz 300DC owners had the same issue as you - unequal thermal loading on one side of the amp. Of course, with many of these vintage pieces, you always have to suspect everything - triodes, diodes, capacitors, resistors, transformers (actually transformers hardly ever go bad). Most amplifiers I've found need only a simple refresh of capacitors, occasionally a resistor, etc. Good luck. I always enjoy looking into addressing issues like you're doing. I had my Booger re-capped (all of them) last year. Sent it out to Iowa - came back F'ing smoking hot not a stray sound anywhere and snapping peaks all around. Well worth my investment of ~$300 to have all the caps replaced and maybe a couple other things - the tech tuned the bias (oscilloscope) and did a great job.
Old November 30th, 2021, 07:55 AM
Running On Empty

SAFELITE is here. My rebuilt Central Junction Box (CJB) e.g. enormous fuse panel/box with built-in GEM has shipped. Trending in a positive direction. We'll see how the remainder of the day goes.
Old November 30th, 2021, 07:58 AM

Good morning guys,

Late start for me this morning because I slept in until 0800 after getting up with both dogs at 0300. At least I was able to go back to sleep when we came back in. It's pretty out and supposed to get to 55 today, trending upward with a high of 65 tomorrow, and low 70's on Thursday and Friday.

Maggie continues to make good progress, the challenge is trying to keep her from doing too much. We transitioned from ice to heat treatments yesterday, note heating pad on her left rear leg (pic). Heat for 10-minutes, off for 5-minutes, 4 cycles over an hour, 3 time a day. She actually enjoys the heat and sleeps through most of it. I was very worried when she was first injured, but I am very optimistic with the improvement we are seeing each day!

On a completely different topic, here is a pic of one my wife's most recent pieces she finished. It's a real antique (+100-years old). It's one of my favorites that she's done, and I think it'll bring good money.

No big plans for today other than impersonating a Physical Therapist for Maggie. I hope everyone has a great day!
Old November 30th, 2021, 02:52 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Long day. Don't know if the washer was broke, but I do know the computer system was slow all day, and we fell short of our number. Not by a lot. Left about twenty after two.

Nice out. Warmish. Went over to the house to give a friend of mine a dishwasher. When the previous people redid the kitchen they got all new appliances and put the old ones in the basement. My friend asked what I wanted for the dishwasher, I said you can have it for free. So he came to get it today, and I showed him around the house and told him some of the projects I've been dreaming up.

Chris judging from that picture, I'd guess Maggie isn't the only one snoozing during the therapy sessions.

Norm how'd we do with the windshield install?

I just built a plastic model kit of a 53 Chevy pickup, and I painted it that period green. Turns out I have three other of the exact kit, so each one will get a different paint job. That's for later when I don't have moving to do.

We had a drive in close to us when I was little, called the I-80 Drive In. It was in Tinley Park, IL. I think the place closed before I was 10, but a flea market set up there every Sunday. My Dad loved going to the flea market. It was still there when I moved, but I'd say 24 years later it's probably a subdivision.

Well early for work tomorrow, I can get three days in for 2 OT each this week. The shop is working Saturday but I will be in Alabama. I've already put my friend off once, we're planning on doing yard work. He's half blind and doesn't need to be wielding sharp power equipment around.

Okay have a good night everyone.

Old November 30th, 2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris judging from that picture, I'd guess Maggie isn't the only one snoozing during the therapy sessions.
Mike - As much as I'd love to get a nap in, I have to fight it, because I have to time the heat vs. no heat sessions. Sucks because my wife is usually having an early evening nap, you can see Monty's snoozing, and Maggie is out like a light.
Old November 30th, 2021, 05:11 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - The windshield install went better than expected; in fact, I ended up with the tech removing & resealing my original Ford Carlite (Carlex) windshield. They were going to install a brand new windshield of lesser quality (they couldn't get in any Ford Carlite windshields for quite some time & they don't know when they'll get them) & actually I would have been fine with that. He wasn't completely certain about the rust he was seeing along the top pinch weld metal. I asked him to give me ten minutes and I'd have it back down to clean metal, then he needed to leave for about ten minutes. I took an electric drill with an attached circular zirconia abrasive pad and had 99% of all the rust removed - it was surface rust only. The sheet metal was neither compromised anywhere along the top-side pinch weld nor along the A-pillars. The tech was aghast at how well it turned out. He was in & out in 1.5 hours.

The company (whom I've never dealt with) I bought the rebuilt CJB (fuse panel GEM box) from sent me an e-mail yesterday the order had been processed and was on its way - that was it - no tracking number, etc. I was beginning to get a little skeptical & apprehensive. Today I received an email from UPS stating a shipment was being delivered to me tomorrow. I checked the tracking details and sure enough - the company fulfilled the order yesterday and sent it 2-Day UPS shipping. It will be here tomorrow. I'm not sure I'll feel like installing it after golf tomorrow but I'll get some headway on cleaning the interior of the truck, resinstalling the windshield cowling moldings, wipers, etc. which I initially removed diagnosing the leak. So, once again baby steps but trending in a positive direction. I hope I can same the thing about my golf game tomorrow.
Old November 30th, 2021, 06:11 PM

Sounds like baby steps have stopped now, Norm. On to big leaps! Good deal...
Old November 30th, 2021, 06:57 PM

Norm - Glad the windshield install turned fine and hope it goes as well with the fuse panel install. Good luck with that, and on the links tomorrow!
Old December 1st, 2021, 03:40 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks. Humidity went as low as 33% last night - temperatures are ~45°F currently & expected to reach ~61°F by the time we finish playing @ 12:30pm, so it should be a pleasant day with 0% precipitation & winds of 3mph. Bang the gong!

I was reading & viewing recent news from S. Africa regarding SarsCoV-2 Omicron variant earlier this morning. Initial revelations reported by hospitals, clinics, testing facilities & practitioners indicates Omicron presents as a very mild case of COVID-19 with basic symptoms of malaise. Most cases being reported are from children. I can't recall, but I believe there have been no deaths or serious (critical) health risks associated with Omicron. There have been cases of elderly who have had triple vaccinations for SarsCoV-2 and contracted Omicron, but those cases presented very mild COVID-19 symptoms of malaise for a couple of days. There are roughly 50 variants of the SarsCoV-2 spike protein on the Omicron variant for which the original SarsCoV-2 vaccines may/could provide some protection - yet, the jury is still out until the testing is complete in the next couple of weeks. All-in-all, from very early reports it appears the new Omicron variant produces very mild symptoms of a couple days of malaise treatable at home.
Old December 1st, 2021, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Nice out. Warmish.
Coming from my friend who can spell Zamboni without looking it up.

This cracker is freezing
Old December 1st, 2021, 06:25 AM

Good morning guys,

Got up a little earlier this morning, mainly to let the dogs out. Didn't know we were supposed to get any rain, but when I took Maggie out it was spitting and the ground was damp. Just checked the weather and it's supposed to end soon, getting partly sunny and still reaching the projected high of 65° F. Thursday and Friday are still supposed to be sunny and in the low 70's, I will be seriously tempted to get one of the bikes out for a ride.

Norm - Encouraging news about the Omicron variant, I have been hearing/reading the same things.

No big plans for today. I will have my Physical Therapist duties throughout the day for Maggie. We will continue the heat treatments at least until she has her re-check appointment next Monday. She is doing much better, thanks for everyone's well wishes.

My grandson's basketball team that I'm helping coach will have it's usual Friday evening practice, and then our 1st game is Saturday morning at 1100, which should be fun. The Big 10 and SEC football conferences respective Championship games are on Saturday afternoon/evening which I'm looking forward to watching.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old December 1st, 2021, 11:03 AM

Mike, I apologize. I spoke too soon. IT warmed up nicely this afternoon
Old December 1st, 2021, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, I apologize. I spoke too soon. IT warmed up nicely this afternoon
That's what's been happening here all through November - every day has been well above normal temperatures. Someone said it was winter, but we ain't seeing it.

Old December 1st, 2021, 12:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Work went well all day but the day just seemed to drag. But the good news is we get to go back and do it two more times this week. The shop is working Saturday AND Sunday, but I won't be home. It's hard to pass up double time, but I told my friend I'd help him so that's that.

Beautiful out. Jamesbo it was cold here this morning but I bet it's close to 70 right now. The temp settings in the Aura are cold, warm, roast, incinerate. I don't even have to turn the fan on and I have to turn down the heat. It's the opposite of a VW I used to have when I was a kid. The heat exchangers were not rusted and I got good heat off the engine, but the channel was rusted and all the heat dumped out right before it got to me. Defroster? Forget about it. Ah, but what a fun car.

So Norm, you get the Omnicrom virus and you feel like you're in the 70s?

Okay got a couple errands to run, then to bed early so I can do overtime again tomorrow. See ya's all later.

Old December 1st, 2021, 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

James - Consider using a tripod or keep one eye closed.
Old December 1st, 2021, 02:03 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I had a '68 VW Super Beetle. I think it may have been the last year without a heater fan as standard equipment - standard forced air heat on the floor board side panels & defrost. I stayed warm maintaining a minimum of 30 mph in winter but I had no rust in the manifolds so hot air made it into the cabin.

Mike, I think you're imparting a joke here (somewhere), but I can't figure this one out?

So Norm, you get the Omnicrom virus and you feel like you're in the 70s?
What is an Omnicrom? I can't figure out reference to the 70s.
Old December 1st, 2021, 02:07 PM

Norm, I'll try again in the morning
Old December 1st, 2021, 02:28 PM

Hi guys,

Kenneth - Our November avg. high here in StL was 2.5° F higher than normal.

Pretty boring day today, but boring is not always bad. Ran to the bank this morning to make some deposits, that's alot more fun than making withdrawals. The regulations for Annual Required Minimum Distributions (RMD's) should be repealed/eliminated, what a load of crap that you're not allowed to save your own money in any account you desire! Uncle Sam's gonna get his cut at some point, why does it have to be every year?

I've got a Razzleberry pie in the oven right now that I'm watching. We're getting takeout for dinner from the local burger/sandwich/frozen custard shop that we frequent. I never get tired of their burgers and my wife loves their grilled chicken sandwiches. Of course the dogs get a burger with nothing on it to share.

James - I bet you're itchin to put that new bad boy tractor to work, have at it brother!

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old December 1st, 2021, 02:40 PM

Mike - I had a '68 VW Super Beetle.
Norm/Mike - My Dad bought a new Beetle in '74, the most plain Jane one you could get, to commute to work. It had the flat front windshield, the rear windows did not roll down,, and no radio. I drove that car through most of Highschool because my '65 Mustang was broke down more than it was running. I think I told the story of how Dad put a trailer hitch on that thing and we pulled a Coleman pop-up camper with the 5 of us and all our camping gear through the Smokies that summer. That little thing was amazing, you couldn't make it quit running!
Old December 1st, 2021, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Norm you said if you get the Omincron virus you will have feelings of malaize. Aren't the 70s called the Malaise Era?

My turn to be pedantic. You guys' recollections of your VWs are a bit off. The Super Beetle didn't come out until 1972. Oddly enough, the Super Beetle was a completely different car than the Standard Beetle in 1973, but it looked the same. It was actually quite a bit bigger. Chris your 74 was a Standard Beetle. The Standards had the flat windshield and the Supers had the big rounded windshield. No Beetle windows ever rolled down in the back. There was an option for them to pop out, they hinged at the front and the latch was at the back, and they opened about two inches. My Beetle was a 70 and it did not have a "booster" fan for the heat. Just the fan that cooled the engine pushed the heat forward.

Oh at work today a guy came into the shop asking for me. He came over to my desk and introduced himself and I said, ah, you're my neighbor! He has several airplanes that he keeps at his house in my new neighborhood and he knew I owned property already but never had met me. He works upstairs in the sheet metal shop so he came down to say hi. Incredibly nice of him I thought.

Gonna relax a little then hit the sack. The week is half over. Have a good evening everyone.

Old December 1st, 2021, 04:03 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I never heard of the 1970s as the Malaise Era (sputtering/poor economy) - I had to look it up. Maybe because I was preoccupied with my active duty military service, not sure. First I heard of it. It's Omicron, BTW (fifteenth letter of the Greek alphabet).
You're correct about the Super Beetle - my mind isn't as fresh as yours on the evolution of the Beetles. I do know I owned a 1968, it was the first year with the straight bumpers instead of the tube bumpers. I thought that was the first year of the Super Beetles (not back then, but now - as said, you know of the VW evolution better than I can recall). BTW, I rolled that Beetle end-over-end and twice rolled over from side-to-side in a farmer's hay field. I missed a blind downhill turn on a gravel road - girlfriend was in the car. We ended up laying on the passenger door side down - me still hanging onto the steering wheel - my girlfriend knocked out laying beneath me. The top was smashed in about 8" - 10", all glass was blown out of the car, doors would not open, we crawled out through the windshield. Next day, four of my friends and myself pushed the car over on its side to the upright position, the transmission was stuck in 3rd clutch inoperable, one blown out tire. We changed the tire, they pushed me down the hay field, I turned the key to ON, the f'ing engine fired up and I was away in 3rd gear. Drove it home that way - parked in front of my parents house and my Mom ****-a-brick - said I couldn't park it in front. LMAO (I sold the car to my Dad's friend's son - he needed the engine ($450). Not bad I thought - my Mom was aghast for about one week while my Dad & I had to convince Mom daily I could sell it for the engine.
Old December 1st, 2021, 04:35 PM
Running On Empty

...my Mom ****-a-brick - said I couldn't park it in front...my Mom was aghast for about one week while my Dad & I had to convince Mom daily I could sell it for the engine.
This woman (my Mom) is the same person who bought & owned a second-hand 1960, 1961, or 1962 (whatever) push button transmission Rambler hand painted with a paint brush in a color resembling Mauve.

Same car (below) only imagine it hand painted with a paint brush...

Old December 1st, 2021, 04:46 PM

The malaise days, due to the lackluster performance of cars of that era. Probably also brought about by the factory closings in the rust belt, no money to buy anything in the affected areas. Speaking of VW beetles, I had a co worker ask about the heaters of those made in the 60's. My only knowledge was that a gasoline powered one was available as an option. Mike, can you give clarification?
Old December 1st, 2021, 04:53 PM
Always room for one more

Gasoline heaters were an option for the Beetle, though I don't know what years. I had a 67 that had the gasoline heater. I would imagine the other cars had that option as well. I had a 72 Bus with the gasoline heater. It resided under the back seat. When the engine was running you could turn the control **** one click to the right and the heater would run forever. If the engine was not on, you had to twist it all the way to the right and it timed out at I think 30 minutes. Think egg timer. No ding at the end it just stopped.

The first year Corvairs had a gasoline heater as the engine didn't have provisions to push the heat forward. I believe, and I'll have to look this up, the 61s had heat exchangers and the gas heater became an option, but not for very long.

I can tell you the heater in my Bus would warm that whole space up in no time and roast you out...

Norm love the Rambler. That looks like a 60. My folks had a 59 they drove from Moline, IL to Alameda, CA. And I assume back again when my Dad got out of the Navy.

Last edited by slantflat; December 1st, 2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old December 1st, 2021, 04:53 PM

BTW, I rolled that Beetle end-over-end and twice rolled over from side-to-side in a farmer's hay field. I missed a blind downhill turn on a gravel road - girlfriend was in the car. We ended up laying on the passenger door side down
Norm - OMG, that story brings back a memory that is so vivid it is like yesterday. My Dad and I would ride to school in that VW Beetle everyday when I was in Highschool. He taught PE in the morning at the elementary school about 7-miles from the Highschool, and taught at the combo Middle School/Jr. High in the afternoon that was next to the Highschool. I would drop him off at the Elementary school in the morning, and then he would catch a school bus around lunch time (taking kindergartens home) to the Jr. High. One day students only had a half-day but teachers had a full day. When they let us off for the day, I offered to take 2 brothers home (both in my grade because one was held back when young), and I was going to hang out at their house until my Dad got out and I would pick him up. Well my friends lived on an old gravel road, with huge old oak trees lining both sides. It had just rained, and I thought I'd be cute by hitting the large puddles at the sides of the road on the passenger side. Well I hit one that was much deeper than the others and it pulled the car directly towards one of those huge oaks. I turned the wheel hard left and we started sliding sideways in the gravel, until the passenger side wheels grabbed and we started to tip over. It was like we were in slow motion, it gently rolled over on the passenger side and none of us were injured, but we had to climb out the driver's side door like a tank hatch because it was the only way out. The only real damage to car was that the fenders were caved in and a few scratches on the doors. Just the 3 of us were able to turn the car over and we took it back to my friends house and got out the rubber mallets. We beat the fenders out as best we could. Then, when I went to pick my Dad up, I lied and said someone had side-swiped it in the Highschool parking lot and it was a hit and run. Years later, I admitted what had really happened, and he said, I wondered what really happened that day, I knew a side-swipe wouldn't have left scratches up near the top of the door. He was a much better Dad than I ever deserved! My hero actually!
Old December 1st, 2021, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Did you have **** carpet on the floor, the cargo side panels, hood liner and a disco mirror ball suspended from the ceiling?
Old December 1st, 2021, 05:44 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I still have yet to buy a Razzleberry pie. It sounds delicious and if I could only remember to write it down on my grocery list I'd get one.

James - You're still in the loop on the lump crab Louis sauce stuffed avocado. I need to write it down, as well.

It's tough for me to write out a grocery list of items when I have a fridge full of food to last me into next year.

I have one piece of homemade pumpkin pie in the fridge with my name on it. I'm getting closer to whipping up a batch of the Bourbon ***** real soon - maybe as a treat (to myself) once I get the F250 tractor put back together.
Old December 1st, 2021, 06:36 PM

Chris - I still have yet to buy a Razzleberry pie. It sounds delicious and if I could only remember to write it down on my grocery list I'd get one.
Here it is in all its glory. Wish I had some vanilla ice-cream to go with it, but Cool Whip left over from Thanksgiving will have to do.

Check out this large Serving Buffet my wife just finished today. It too is an antique. 72-inches long and weighs an f'ing ton!

Old December 1st, 2021, 06:46 PM

I enjoyed the V W stories. One of my friends enjoys them. He and I have a standing bet whether his camper or my 442 will be restored and done first. Loser buys steak dinner.

It's hard to cook in a regulated fashion as a single guy. I tend to grille for two (or 4) and bag the rest for later. I have all my grandma's cookbooks and a decent kitchen, I should aspire for culinary greatness, or at least mediocrity.

I've been polyurethaning in questionable weather; I come home, fire up the space heater in the garage, then, after dinner, go flip my shelves, sand, tack cloth, then wipe-on-poly another coat. These will finish my 3 shelf TV unit to match my 5 shelf stereo unit finished this spring. Then I have some bookshelves and miscellaneous, then I need to expand the stereo shelves to fit my quadraphonic gear.