The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2021, 10:08 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Made it home about 0230 last night and crawled into bed and slept in. Had a good time at the party and saw lots of people I know. Always good to stay with my friends, I don't get to see them near enough.

Thanks for the pictures Chris, they look good. I'd say it's a toss up for my favorite between your car and the 68. Usually my pick is a MOPAR, but I just wasn't feeling that Challenger, nice as it was. I haven't been to a car show in I don't know how long. Maybe I'll polish up one of the wrecks and hit a few this summer. Summit isn't having the Monday cruise night at all.

That is weird how the dunes shift and just cover up your house, and whatever else is in its way. A few years ago a dune covered up some old garage and when they excavated it they found an old Wagoneer inside. It was mangled and rusted. The garage didn't fare too much better. I always find it strange when I'm staying at the beach and there's a sign next to a few scraggly wisps of beach grass. Stay Away! We must protect the beach grass it's dying more and more every day! And then I turn around and see this monstrosity I just walked out of that eradicated how many acres of beach and beach grass when they built it.

Norm I don't get it. Why would my name be Griswold? I don't own a Wagon Queen Family Truckster in Pea Green.

Well I'm off again in a few minutes for the airport to fly out to Reno. I'm pretty excited. I haven't been to the museum in a couple years. I hope I get to work on lots of cool stuff.

Okay be back Wednesday night. Hope everyone has a good week.

Old May 2nd, 2021, 11:07 AM

Mike, You may not get an answer from Norm anytime soon. Looks like he's got a few hundred ***** to whack
Old May 2nd, 2021, 11:10 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I don't get it. Why would my name be Griswold?
This (below) is why I believe your last name could be Griswold - perhaps Clark's cousin?

So here's how smart I am. Actually I couldn't have known. It's safe to say I won't be needing the wood stove anymore, but there's a bunch of stuff in there that hasn't been burned yet. I figured since the AC was on I'd crank it up, burn up what's in there real quick and then I can take it all apart for cleaning and it will be ready for next winter. Well, some of the cardboard started burning and all it did was produce smoke, which by the way wasn't going up the chimney. It all backed up out of the door and the air intake. Filled the whole living room with smoke. Last time I used it everything was fine, so I didn't even think this would happen. I turned on the ceiling fan in the living room and opened the kitchen door, and placed a box fan so it would push the smoke outside. But since the air was on it pumped the smoke throughout the whole house. I left the ceiling fan in the bedroom on all night to keep the smoke out so I could sleep without choking. Still smells a little in here this morning but not bad. I sure hope nothing has busted the screen on the chimney outside and built a nest.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 11:18 AM
Running On Empty

James - Those ***** are for anyone. How our range works is I (each member) pay(s) a quarterly membership fee which includes a Range Fee. The one thing I really like about our range is you don't need to bring\carry etc. a bucket of ***** with you from the Pro Shop or anywhere else - all of those buckets of ***** are lined up & continuously replenished throughout the day. Walk right up & start wacking.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the pictures Chris, they look good. I'd say it's a toss up for my favorite between your car and the 68. Usually my pick is a MOPAR, but I just wasn't feeling that Challenger, nice as it was. I haven't been to a car show in I don't know how long. Maybe I'll polish up one of the wrecks and hit a few this summer. Summit isn't having the Monday cruise night at all.
Thanks Mike! Have fun in Reno at the museum!!!
Old May 2nd, 2021, 02:26 PM
Running On Empty

My claret donation in January displayed a negative COVID-19 antibody result.
I have not contracted SARS-CoV-2.
I received my 1st Pfizer vaccination at the beginning of March. I received my 2nd Pfizer vaccination at the end of March.
My recent (last week) claret donation result was reactive (as it should be).

Old May 2nd, 2021, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
My claret donation in January displayed a negative COVID-19 antibody result.
I have not contracted SARS-CoV-2.
I received my 1st Pfizer vaccination at the beginning of March. I received my 2nd Pfizer vaccination at the end of March.
My recent (last week) claret donation result was reactive (as it should be).
Good to see all is well in Immunsville! We will be 2-weeks out from our 2nd injection on Tuesday of this week! Good reason to celebrate!
Old May 2nd, 2021, 03:45 PM

Thanks for the pics Chris, both your car and the '68 442 are nice looking cars.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Thanks for the pics Chris, both your car and the '68 442 are nice looking cars.
You're welcome Dan, and thanks for the compliment on my car! It really was a nice event with alot, and a wide variety, of cars.
Old May 2nd, 2021, 05:36 PM

Norm, Ya want me ta fix ya up with her?

https://www.yahoo.com/now/laura-baugh-65-runs-10-120051710.html
Old May 2nd, 2021, 06:03 PM
Running On Empty

James - Wow. She’s quite a gal. Apparently she has no or little time for men with that schedule/routine. Great swing for a 65 y.o.

Old May 3rd, 2021, 07:21 AM

No smacking whitey today. I think I'll stay home and watch $hit float around in the yard

Norm, You might be able to keep up with he 10 miles runs in your drop top

Old May 3rd, 2021, 12:30 PM
Running On Empty

38/42=80
Old May 3rd, 2021, 01:18 PM

38/42=80
Nice round Norm!
Old May 3rd, 2021, 03:16 PM
Running On Empty

James - Laura was a real looker in her younger days - but, you won't find me driving to keep up w/ her in my drop-top. IOW, I'd give her a long, long head start.

Chris - Thanks. Maybe watching some of the guys this week will provide me more incentive to get my game together. I'd love to consistently hit in the 70s. Shuffling concrete & brick this summer may help to build up my arms & shoulders?

So, is Mike going to the National Automobile Museum I guess? I've never been there, sounds like a good time. I captured one of the cars on their website, which is one of my all time most favorite cars of all time.
1956 Mercedez Benz Gullwing - what a gorgeous vehicle.

Old May 3rd, 2021, 03:50 PM

Chris - Thanks. Maybe watching some of the guys this week will provide me more incentive to get my game together. I'd love to consistently hit in the 70s. Shuffling concrete & brick this summer may help to build up my arms & shoulders?

1956 Mercedez Benz Gullwing - what a gorgeous vehicle.
Norm - Certainly nothing wrong with wanting to get better, but IMO you already have your "game together", especially when you think there are tons of guys that never break 90!

Those Gullwing Mercedes certainly are gorgeous cars, I always loved those. When I was a teenager in the mid/late 70's, some guy bought a double lot in my parents subdivision and built a huge house, probably at least 4,500 - 5,000 sq.ft. The house was really out of place in a subdivision of 2,000 sq.ft. ranch style homes, but apparently he had more money than sense. One day he came home with what looked like and sounded like a Formula 1 race car, a bright yellow Ferrari with gullwing doors. To this day I have no idea what model it was, I think I'm going to have to do some sleuthing and see if I can figure out what it was.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 03:59 PM
Running On Empty

A Formula 1 race car driving down the street? Holy Snot Rockets Bat Man! I think Ferrari only made the Butterfly Wing doors if I'm not mistaken - although it could have been a one-off custom production.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 04:08 PM

A Formula 1 race car driving down the street? Holy Snot Rockets Bat Man! I think Ferrari only made the Butterfly Wind doors if I'm not mistaken - although it could have been a one-off custom production.
You're probably right. I've been searching and can't find any Ferrari with gullwing doors. I swear it had gullwing doors and a mid-engine design where the hood lifted up and back behind the cabin. Hell it may not even have been a Ferrari. I'm going to keep searching exotic sports cars from that era and maybe I'll find it???
Old May 3rd, 2021, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
You're probably right. I've been searching and can't find any Ferrari with gullwing doors. I swear it had gullwing doors and a mid-engine design where the hood lifted up and back behind the cabin. Hell it may not even have been a Ferrari. I'm going to keep searching exotic sports cars from that era and maybe I'll find it???
Here are some of the most recognizable gull wing cars produced. The page is a little weird to navigate, but click on one of the smaller images (the images with the arrows on either side) and this will highlight and discuss each car.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/...gullwing-doors
Old May 3rd, 2021, 04:17 PM

Here are some of the most recognizable gull wing cars produced. The page is a little weird to navigate, but click on one of the smaller images (the images with the arrows on either side) and this will highlight and discuss each car.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/...gullwing-doors
Thanks Norm, I'll check it out!
Old May 3rd, 2021, 04:59 PM

Norm - I'm almost positive I found the car that guy had, looks just like I remember. It was not in that list of gullwing door cars you provided, but I kept searching. The car is a 1966 Porsche 906, also called a Carrera 6. A street legal production run of only 65 vehicles were built to meet Formula 1 class requirements. I do not believe this guy had an original, if he did, he must have put up some real smack for it! However, I found out the car was so popular at the time that several companies started producing reproductions. The two pictures below are both reproductions.

Old May 3rd, 2021, 05:33 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Ah, right. I recall that car. The Porsche Carrera 906 w/ gullwing doors. Great car. I forgot about that car. I was a corner worker and timer for SCCA between 1968-1971 (a volunteer position). I don't think I ever saw that car run anywhere, but who knows. I mostly worked at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, & Elkhart Lake Road America. I did volunteer for the Watkins Glen International 'Grand Prix' (1970).

That car was basically a Porsche 911 for the most part with a new body style I believe.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 06:23 PM

Chris - Ah, right. I recall that car. The Porsche Carrera 906 w/ gullwing doors. Great car. I forgot about that car. I was a corner worker and timer for SCCA between 1968-1971 (a volunteer position). I don't think I ever saw that car run anywhere, but who knows. I mostly worked at Blackhawk Farms Raceway, & Elkhart Lake Road America. I did volunteer for the Watkins Glen International 'Grand Prix' (1970).

That car was basically a Porsche 911 for the most part with a new body style I believe.
Norm - That's cool you did some racing work Norm! You're right about it coming from the 911, the motor and drive train evolved from a 911, chassis and suspension from Lotus, body from Pina Farrina (spelling?). In reading up on it, the article I was reading said there were a couple in the Ford vs. Ferrari movie. By the way I haven't seen that one yet and I really want to! Have fun at the tourney!
Old May 3rd, 2021, 06:54 PM
Running On Empty

I plan to get on the road somewhere in the 6am-7am neighborhood - 5.0-5.5 hr drive to Charlotte, I need to pick up my credentials/uniform tomorrow. First work day is Wednesday for ProAm (6:30am) where I watch businessmen pay far too much money play their worst golf games alongside PGA Tour Professionals.
Old May 4th, 2021, 03:08 AM

Chris, I'm shocked you haven't seen Ford vs Ferrari, I've watched it a few hundred times

Unfortunately, It portrays Carrol Shelby as not as crazy as he really was and Ken Miles crazier than he was in real life

Ya need to see it

At 180 MPH when those Porsches are painted with Blue and Orange Gulf logs, they look similar to a GT 400

3;00 a.m. Super model "there's someone sawing with a chain saw in the front yard"
Old May 4th, 2021, 04:42 AM

Not too much going on here, weather is just sort of OK, not bad, overcast but comfortable. Got dock all finished up but no boat or cover yet, yesterday helped neighbor with his dock. 56truck is running again, it was a bad fuel pump. All done with that one until the cold comes again. Started replacing front wheel bearings on the plow truck, what a PIA.
James, so was someone cutting at 3 am? Looks like it, had it fell into the road? Or maybe the electric utility, cuz of a outage? Strange!
Old May 4th, 2021, 04:57 AM

Greg, It was the FD clearing the road
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, I'm shocked you haven't seen Ford vs Ferrari, I've watched it a few hundred times

Unfortunately, It portrays Carrol Shelby as not as crazy as he really was and Ken Miles crazier than he was in real life

Ya need to see it

At 180 MPH when those Porsches are painted with Blue and Orange Gulf logs, they look similar to a GT 400

3;00 a.m. Super model "there's someone sawing with a chain saw in the front yard"
James - I'm surprised I haven't seen it too! Call me cheap, but the streaming services we use, Hulu and Amazon Prime, want $20 to rent it, which I think is crazy for a movie that's been out that long. I've heard it's at the little Redbox DVD rental stations now, we have one fairly close to our house, may try to pick one up there.

I'm assuming from the tree that you had some strong storms roll through last night? A strong storm rolled through here sometime around 3:00 or 4:00 this morning but I don't see any damage from what I can see out the window, haven't been outside yet???

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 4th, 2021 at 06:18 AM.
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Not too much going on here, weather is just sort of OK, not bad, overcast but comfortable. Got dock all finished up but no boat or cover yet, yesterday helped neighbor with his dock. 56truck is running again, it was a bad fuel pump. All done with that one until the cold comes again. Started replacing front wheel bearings on the plow truck, what a PIA.
James, so was someone cutting at 3 am? Looks like it, had it fell into the road? Or maybe the electric utility, cuz of a outage? Strange!
Greg - Glad you got your '56 running for the summer! Good luck with the bearings on the plow truck. Have you got the Old's out of storage yet?
Old May 4th, 2021, 09:37 AM
Running On Empty

I was on the road @ 04:30 this morning. New parking facility this year. HOLY $HIT you should see the size of this church! Called Calvary Church - enormous. Several other parking facilities but this is the one for me (us). This place (grounds, facilities, buildings, etc) is the size of a small town. Crazy.

I caught the damage from the tornadoes in SW ATL just before I went to bed. Seriously big damage.

I’m set with uniform/credentials now to relax awhile.
Old May 4th, 2021, 10:07 AM
Running On Empty

Found a really nice place to eat - called ‘Cafe South’. Everything is homemade - no industrial food.Great service, friendly, clean - what a find and less than 1/16 mile from hotel. I scored big time. Chicken rice soup (side), sweet corn (side), Southern corn bread + butter and a stuffed chicken tit (feta + spinach).
Old May 4th, 2021, 11:32 AM

Found a really nice place to eat - called ‘Cafe South’. Everything is homemade - no industrial food.Great service, friendly, clean - what a find and less than 1/16 mile from hotel. I scored big time. Chicken rice soup (side), sweet corn (side), Southern corn bread + butter and a stuffed chicken tit (feta + spinach).
Norm - Great you found a nice restaurant so close to the hotel, sounds good!
Old May 4th, 2021, 01:04 PM

Druing the monsoons I sometimes have starting trouble with my 4X4 2500 Chevy

A smarter mechanic than me said to me today to spray the distributor with silicone because the Vortex engine is notorious for this problem[s]
Question. If you spray the distributor and cover up the vent hole Does not being able to vent do anything bad?

I mean the vent hole is spose to vent something
Old May 4th, 2021, 01:51 PM

James - I am no mechanic, but I have a close friend who is a professional and owns his own shop. He told me the so called trick of spraying the distributor with silicone would displace water on the outside of the cap, but did nothing to help the real culprit which is the build up of condensation inside the unit which is caused by the vehicle sitting outside with swings of hot/cold temperatures and humid conditions. Combine those conditions with a poorly designed distributor and there you go, recipe for problems. JMO
Old May 4th, 2021, 02:51 PM

Oh, James, I forgot to add, your primary issue is you own a Chebby, if you want a "Real Truck" you need a Ford!
Old May 4th, 2021, 11:40 PM

Good eveing...or good morning, one of the two. Slow at work, very unusual for this time of year. Apparently no new orders for the next two weeks, that only happens at the end of the year, Nov/Dec.They were giving out lack of work passes, I declined, but may take one Friday if they are still offering them. I have seen nothing in the news about Boeing nor Pratt Whitney cutting back. Boeing has lost an order or two due to the 737 Max fiasco, but other airlines have placed orders for them, negating some of the loss.
Old May 5th, 2021, 04:01 AM

Happy Cinco de Mayo Olds friends

Old May 5th, 2021, 04:22 AM

James, I also had trouble with the "crab" style dist cab on those Chevy V8's. I found you need a high quality cap, GM or Echlin or simular with good brass contacts/bars in it. If you get a cheap aftermarket cap with aluminum bars in it it will give ya troubles especially when wet/humid. It was a real PIA on the vans cuz you had to take off the center cover inside to get to the dist cap. Chris, Olds is "out" but not really been driven yet, needs a good cleaning, etc.
Old May 5th, 2021, 04:35 AM

Tanks Greg, We have had alot of rain lately but it's running fine today
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Happy Cinco de Mayo Olds friends

😂😂😂 I deserved that . . . LoL! I actually owned a '93 GMC 1500 4x4 Super Cab before I bought my 2000 Ford. The GMC had alot of miles put on it going on hunting and fishing excursions, and family weekends to our river cabin 140-miles away. It was starting to nickel and dime me to death when it got up around 150K-miles. When I went shopping for a new truck in 2000 I was looking for a truck with similar options to the GMC, and the sticker on the Ford was about $6K less than a comparable Chevy or GMC, plus my "Ex" had a uncle who was a salesman at the closest Ford dealer to us who was willing to give me a great deal. I didn't really have a loyalty to either brand so I went with the Ford. I've never regretted the decision though, in 21-years now she has never left me stranded, and only failed to start when I let the battery run down from disuse. Amazing vehicle!!!