The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2021, 01:35 PM

No problem Chris, the way that we see colors is normal to us, and rarely is an issue.
Old April 17th, 2021, 05:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Been working at the shop all day. My friend got in okay yesterday at 730pm and we started moving stuff this morning. Got two cars moved to the house, one put in the hangar, and towed the one that doesn't belong to me back to the guy who it belongs to. Also pulled another one out of the mud and scoped out what we hope to get done tomorrow.

I can tell you I'm beat. We're gonna go get some pizza then I think hit the sack. We got a late start this morning, so I think we'll get up earlier tomorrow and have more time. Hope everyone is good. I'll catch up later. No Jamesbo I don't have a Facel Vega, but they are cool. I'd really like to have a Dual Ghia, but those are priced in the stratosphere, if you can find one for sale.

Have a good evening everyone.

Old April 18th, 2021, 10:43 AM
GCH

Took a ride on my Honda on gravel roads today and it was just awesome in the nice
weather. Should get my first covid shot next weekend.
Old April 18th, 2021, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GCH
Took a ride on my Honda on gravel roads today and it was just awesome in the nice
weather. Should get my first covid shot next weekend.
Glenn - Great to hear from you! Glad to hear you could get out on one of your bikes. It's supposed to be 70 degrees F here tomorrow and I have about a 150-mile ride planned with a buddy that retired from the same place I did. I converted my Yamaha back from a two-up to a solo configuration today. I plan on taking it to a few shows this spring and summer and I think it looks a lot sharper in the solo configuration.

2010 Yamaha Stratoliner Deluxe, 1900cc

Old April 18th, 2021, 03:46 PM

Good evening guys,
Weird weather day, periods of full sunshine and showers, with a high of 60. Went to Wally World this morning and bought more than we went for, par for the course. Was able to get the lawn mowed in between showers, and in the interim periods did my bike conversion I posted on above. Chicago's Home Run frozen pizza on tap for dinner. Looking forward to getting out for a ride with my buddy tomorrow. We're going to make a stop at the Restored 1940's style Texaco Station about 30-miles from me, we'll take some pics of the bikes there and I'll post a couple pics. "You can trust your car to the man that wears the star"

Have a great evening fellas!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 18th, 2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old April 18th, 2021, 07:20 PM
GCH

Very nice bike Chris , solo configuration looks great . i did this with a Heritage -02 i owned earlier
and it also looked much better.

Old April 18th, 2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by GCH
Very nice bike Chris , solo configuration looks great . i did this with a Heritage -02 i owned earlier and it also looked much better.
Glenn - Thanks for the compliment on my bike. It is the sportier of the two baggers I have. Several performance modifications to it including having the ECU flashed to remove all the factory limitations, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe, custom built high flow intake, and Power Commander 5 fuel control unit. Rear wheel horsepower 120, torque 135 ft/lbs, theoretical top speed 140 mph. My other bagger is a 2016 Chieftain that has more amenities and advanced electronics. I use it mainly for cruising with my wife and when I go on group rides with our local St. Louis Indian Riders Club.

Old April 18th, 2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
theoretical top speed 140 mph.
You haven't verified that yet? What's the holdup?
Old April 18th, 2021, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Truthfully, 120-mph, one time, just to be able to say I did, now you know I'm truly nuts. Between 115 and 120 I could literally feel the body of the bike rising, it felt like it was going to take flight. That was more than enough for me! I can't imagine riding one of those crotch rockets that are just as powerful and half the weight.
Old April 18th, 2021, 09:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got three cars moved to the house today. It's really sort of depressing. These are all cars that I moved out of here to the shop not too long ago. Well, whatever. It's all a big, unfun game.

The weather has been beautiful all week. No rain, not hot, sunny, perfect for working outside.

Tomorrow is our last full day to get things done. We won't come close to finishing but I can still do some stuff by myself after my friend leaves on Tuesday afternoon.

So question for the computer-type. What can I do to my laptop to get it to power up faster? Is there a way to find out if it goes through its defrag like it's supposed to? The first powerup of the day it takes almost 15 minutes to come on and be useable. After that it takes no time at all. Also, when I go between websites it hangs, and gives me a message, so and so is not responding. I don't remember when I bought this thing but it's been like 4 or 5 years. It's very annoying. What happened to computers being lightning fast?

Okay gonna actually get up early tomorrow. We haven't been doing too bad but we get hung up at the Awful house then get a late start. We might skip that tomorrow and just get to it.

Hope everyone has a good night. It's actually morning now.

Old April 18th, 2021, 11:23 PM

Didn't do much this weekend, not sure if it was from the second Moderna shot or what, but I was dog tired all weekend, with a moderate headache sat & sun. Might have been from the blooming of flowering trees in the 'hood, as I took some sinus meds, it alleviated a bit. I did manage to do a weed & feed application on the lawn, we'll see how that goes. Took a couple of nature pics, but not a lot out there at the moment. I went for a cruise on Saturday on Senic Dr. along Lake Michigan, just to get out a bit, and not have the total weekend be lost. I saw something that Mike is looking for on the drive, had to squint at first as it was coming towards me from a distance, and the fact that I have not seen one in ages, made the i.d. as it got closer, a red VW pick'em up. looked good as it went by. I also saw a silver early to mid '60's Jag XKE, small grill opening, and thin front bumper, made me think that it was from that time frame. I would like to have seen it at a stand still in order to have a good look at it. It looked nice as it passed in the other direction.
Old April 19th, 2021, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71

He had a brief flash of sanity
Old April 19th, 2021, 04:39 AM

Dan, A while back you mentioned auto parts at Meijer.. Yes I remember that! You could get rebuilt starters and alternators, mufflers, flexible exhaust pipes bunch of Cal Custom chrome goodies, etc. You know, thinking about it, car parts were probably the big sales items for younger guys as the fancy personal devices, games, etc. are now.
Old April 19th, 2021, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Didn't do much this weekend, not sure if it was from the second Moderna shot or what, but I was dog tired all weekend, with a moderate headache sat & sun.
Dan - Wife and I get our 2nd Moderna tomorrow, I'll report whether we have any side effects. I hope not, we have quite a few things going on this week, nothing big, but I know I won't want to be running around if I'm feeling generally tired and yucky.
Old April 19th, 2021, 08:58 AM

Greg, yep, they had a bunch of smaller automotive parts. I would usually get my oil and both oil and air filters there, along with AC Delco points, and that little filter that clipped onto the inside of the air cleaner base where the PCV valve hose attached. I'm guessing that the proliferation of auto parts stores put an end to that. Oddly, I rarely go to the auto parts stores anymore due to high prices, and parts that seem to be all chinese made. Of course that is getting to be the norm now a days.
Old April 19th, 2021, 06:35 PM

Good evening guys,
Had a wonderful ride today. Weather was perfect, sunny and 75. The restored vintage Texaco Station was really cool, and a great place to take pics with your bike or classic car. They have a cruise-in at the Dairy Queen in the town where the Texaco Station is once every month during the summer. I plan to get some pics of the 4-4-2 when I go down there for the cruise. Oh, I almost forgot to say, they're calling for snow here tomorrow night and a low of 28, pretty damn crazy. At least it's not supposed to stick, the ground is too warm.
Hope everyone had a great day.

Old April 19th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
So question for the computer-type. What can I do to my laptop to get it to power up faster? Is there a way to find out if it goes through its defrag like it's supposed to? The first powerup of the day it takes almost 15 minutes to come on and be useable. After that it takes no time at all. Also, when I go between websites it hangs, and gives me a message, so and so is not responding. I don't remember when I bought this thing but it's been like 4 or 5 years. It's very annoying.
Mike - The very first operation any computer performs when turned ON is a POST (Power On Self Test). The second operation is to load drivers for all applications on the computer. Obviously, your computer turns ON - you're using it. But, to further my ability to help, you must answer a couple questions and my suggestions will be better tailored to assist you.

(1) The POST takes place immediately after the computer is turned ON. It tests RAM (memory), clock, keyboard, mouse, USB, WiFi, CPU, BIOS, etc. & basically any hardware attached to the computer. Immediately following the POST, the GINA (Graphical Identification and Authentication) loads, next, all drivers for applications installed on your computer are loaded, & finally the OS (Operating System) is loaded. You need to find out at what point the system (your computer) is taking the longest (hanging). Straight out of the gate I suspect you have either a program &/or a driver which is causing your funk. But let's start w/ the basics.

POST - This should take about 10 seconds. Often you'll hear a single beep indicating with a black screen. The beep indicates the computer has compatible RAM. I doubt this is the issue. But time it and let me know.
GINA - This should take about 10 seconds, as well. All of your programs require user authentication in order for you to logon to the computer, and for every program on your computer to operate. This occurs BEFORE the OS can be viewed.
DRIVER STACK - Once the computer negotiates user authentication, all the divers for all your hardware & software are loaded. This should take about 3-5 seconds. This may be a likely place where your computer is hanging This occurs BEFORE the OS can be viewed.

(2) Therefore, reviewing the three items I just discussed (above). I need you to tell me how long does it take before you can visually see the OS GUI (Graphical User Interface) i.e. the point where you can visually see the OS is loading. In total, how long does it take until you can see the OS GUI?

(3) Next, once the OS GUI has loaded, how long does it take before you get the Windows logon GUI? Is there a long time before you get the OS GUI "logon"?
(4) Finally, once you logon to your computer, how long does it take from your logon until you are able to view your computer (what you may call fully operational).

Answer those questions in that order.

Old April 19th, 2021, 08:12 PM
Banned

Good evening guys,
Had a wonderful ride today. Weather was perfect, sunny and 75. The restored vintage Texaco Station was really cool, and a great place to take pics with your bike or classic car. They have a cruise-in at the Dairy Queen in the town where the Texaco Station is once every month during the summer. I plan to get some pics of the 4-4-2 when I go down there for the cruise. Oh, I almost forgot to say, they're calling for snow here tomorrow night and a low of 28, pretty damn crazy. At least it's not supposed to stick, the ground is too warm.
Hope everyone had a great day.

Is this station in Colorado? I have a good friend that was a model. She was in Street Rodder magazine next to a 34 Ford pretty sure at that same station.
Old April 19th, 2021, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Is this station in Colorado? I have a good friend that was a model. She was in Street Rodder magazine next to a 34 Ford pretty sure at that same station.
no1oldsfan - The station is in a little town named DeSoto, MO about 45-miles south/southwest of St. Louis. It was restored by a wealthy local doctor that had worked there as a teenager. Anyone can just stop in and take pictures with their car or bike for no fee. The city now maintains it as a local landmark.
Old April 19th, 2021, 08:30 PM
Running On Empty

You may recall several months ago (February) I gave a pint of my Claret to the America Red Cross. The Red Cross performs an antibody test against SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) on all blood donors - my results were negative - this was prior to my two Pfizer vaccinations. My 2nd injection was performed 03/24/01. So, I should have a significant SARS-CoV-2 antibody titer at this point in time. I'm giving another pint of the Claret this Thursday. It appears to take the Red Cross ~3-5 days before you can view your vitals & COVID-19 antibody results in their on-line portal. I'm looking forward to the results they publish.

Also, evidently the CDC, FDA, USDA and whoever the hell else the powers-that-be were involved have FINALLY approved several over-the-counter COVID-19 antibody tests for home use. I think these tests will hit the stores in several days to a couple of weeks. You most likely won't recall my ranting about this should have been done one year ago (in one of my posts) - probably a thread which was shut down by the moderators because other F-tards were getting all political with one another spewing their B.S. At any rate, these antibody tests should have been approved over one year ago. It drives me nuts when I see the shenanigans and hurdles some agencies invoked at the outset of the pandemic - shaking my head.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/counte...ry?id=77168639
Old April 19th, 2021, 08:34 PM
Banned

no1oldsfan - The station is in a little town named DeSoto, MO about 45-miles south/southwest of St. Louis. It was restored by a wealthy local doctor that had worked there as a teenager. Anyone can just stop in and take pictures with their car or bike for no fee. The city now maintains it as a local landmark.
Oh ok. Pretty sure that there is a station very similar north of Denver. I will have to ask her. Pretty sure it was actually American Rodder. Probably 93-95ish.
Old April 19th, 2021, 10:43 PM

Cool Texaco station, I love the old ones.
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:53 AM

Chris, looks like a great time on your ride! Quite cold here yesterday.
Old April 20th, 2021, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, looks like a great time on your ride! Quite cold here yesterday.
Greg - Did you see snow yesterday? I was texting with my sister in Battle Creek yesterday and she said they had snow there, she didn't say if any was sticking. We're supposed to see a few flakes tonight with an overnight low of 28.
Old April 20th, 2021, 06:03 AM
Running On Empty

Up late last night - applied primer & 1st coat to window. Will be ~69°F today low humidity. I plan to hit the driving range this afternoon after more window & sash work. I think I'm going to build three more smaller (24" square) brick fencing columns & fencing this summer. I'd like to ward off one additional area between my home and the small (family-owned) automotive service garage next door. That should keep me out of the saloons for the summer. The columns I built for this gate (2019, below) are 38" square. Snow? Argh.

Old April 20th, 2021, 06:46 AM

So Norm, What's your take on Si Woo Kim's putting penalty?
Old April 20th, 2021, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Up late last night - applied primer & 1st coat to window. Will be ~69°F today low humidity. I plan to hit the driving range this afternoon after more window & sash work. I think I'm going to build three more smaller (24" square) brick fencing columns & fencing this summer. I'd like to ward off one additional area between my home and the small (family-owned) automotive service garage next door. That should keep me out of the saloons for the summer. The columns I built for this gate (2019, below) are 38" square. Snow? Argh.

https://youtu.be/S2VtiFPGjGk
Norm - Those brick columns and the fencing look really nice! Yep, snow, Argh x10!!!
Old April 20th, 2021, 07:36 AM
Jeff

Stupid cold weather is interrupting my underhood cleanup project on the Starfire. Getting closer to having this done, though. Took the advice of Chris and the air cleaner is getting attention first. Nobody cares about untouched survivor Starfires. Clean that sh&* up!

Restoration of air cleaner in process, new plates just resting on top for a picture while the paint cures.
Old April 20th, 2021, 08:00 AM
Running On Empty

James - I haven’t heard about it. I’ll need to look it up. I like reviewing that type stuff. Thanks.
Chris - Thanks. That’s the gate. Fencing is to follow. But I’m receptive to comments nonetheless.
Jeff - Awesome!

Back to painting.
Old April 20th, 2021, 08:38 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
So Norm, What's your take on Si Woo Kim's putting penalty?
I reviewed the ruling & the putt. I agree w/ the ruling - it took longer than ten seconds for the ball to drop into the hole. I have had other issues/disagreements w/ PGA Tour official rulings, but this USGA ruling (which the PGA Tour employs in the game of golf) was correct, IMO.

EDIT: IMO, what actually took place was the ball residing on the edge of the hole was obviously residing on grass. The ever so slight, but undeniably slight compression of the ball on the blades of grass eventually compressed the blades of grass enough to facilitate the ball falling into the hole.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 20th, 2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old April 20th, 2021, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Took the advice of Chris and the air cleaner is getting attention first.
Jeff - If I send you my wife's email address will you send your comment above to her so she knows there's at least one person in this world that thinks I have a good idea every once in awhile! LoL

Seriously though, the air cleaner looks really sharp, nice job!
Old April 20th, 2021, 09:15 AM
Running On Empty

I just received an early bird e-mail from U.S.G.A. regarding volunteer opportunities for the 77th U.S. Women's Open Championship 2022 @ Pine Needles Lodge and Golf Club, June 2–5, 2022, Southern Pines, NC. We'll see how this plays out. I do enjoy watching the females and I really enjoy how the U.S.G.A. conducts their tournaments - much different than PGA Tour.
Old April 20th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Jeff

Jeff - If I send you my wife's email address will you send your comment above to her so she knows there's at least one person in this world that thinks I have a good idea every once in awhile! LoL

Seriously though, the air cleaner looks really sharp, nice job!
She'll think you bribed me, right?

Thanks for the advice and the compliment. I should have known this was the right thing to do two years ago, maybe the car would already be in someone else's garage by now. At least I don't have to worry about polishing all the interior chrome this spring, since I did that tedious job last fall.
Old April 20th, 2021, 10:09 AM

I reviewed the ruling & the putt. I agree w/ the ruling - it took longer than ten seconds for the ball to drop into the hole. I have had other issues/disagreements w/ PGA Tour official rulings, but this USGA ruling (which the PGA Tour employs in the game of golf) was correct, IMO.

EDIT: IMO, what actually took place was the ball residing on the edge of the hole was obviously residing on grass. The ever so slight, but undeniably slight compression of the ball on the blades of grass eventually compressed the blades of grass enough to facilitate the ball falling into the hole.

Norm, I really don't know but I thought as long as it [the ball] was moving The clock didn't start. What I read you said was the ball was slowing going down [compression the grass] Is compressing the grass not moving Ever so slightly
Old April 20th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Running On Empty

I agree with what you’re stating, but I think we’d need to qualify this. Doubtful very minor downward compression would validate as a ball moving.
Old April 20th, 2021, 01:28 PM

I agree with what you’re stating, but I think we’d need to qualify this. Doubtful very minor downward compression would validate as a ball moving.

I really don't know the answer as to what constitutes moving and what does not. I would say, It was moving enough to drop into the hole

I'll leave it to the powers that be

Thanks for your insights

BTW When you said you enjoyed watching the ladies, I posted Bill Murray with his ball washer in Caddy Shack [deleted above] Unfortunately it had some political comments tag onto the end of the clip
Old April 20th, 2021, 01:48 PM

Good afternoon guys,
Well, the weatherman was right on two accounts. First, it has been snowing hard for the last two hours, and second, none of it is sticking because the ground is too warm. Glad it's not sticking because we made the hour drive home from getting our 2nd shots in what was close to whiteout conditions. I definitely had to slow down 10 to 15-mph below the speed limit just to be able to see. It was a white knuckle drive home. Quite a change after 75 degrees and bright sunshine yesterday!

My wife and I both thought our 2nd shot didn't have an initial slight burning feeling like our 1st ones did. I didn't think the 1st one was bad, but the one today felt like nothing. It's only been 2-hours since we got them so no other side effects yet.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old April 20th, 2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I really don't know the answer as to what constitutes moving and what does not. I would say, It was moving enough to drop into the hole

I'll leave it to the powers that be

Thanks for your insights

BTW When you said you enjoyed watching the ladies, I posted Bill Murray with his ball washer in Caddy Shack [deleted above] Unfortunately it had some political comments tag onto the end of the clip
Speaking Caddyshack, that ball drop into the hole won the bet. So what's different about Woo's putt? Other than no exploding Mr. Squirrel, that is.
Old April 20th, 2021, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
She'll think you bribed me, right?

Thanks for the advice and the compliment. I should have known this was the right thing to do two years ago, maybe the car would already be in someone else's garage by now. At least I don't have to worry about polishing all the interior chrome this spring, since I did that tedious job last fall.
Jeff - You're right, she probably would!

You're welcome for the advice, I sure hope the touch-ups help you sell it sooner than later. I understand your original thought though along the lines of it being a "survivor". When I first got my car I had it in my head that one day for sure I was going to convert the shift on my TH400 from on the column to a center console unit. Several of the "purists" on this site, as well as my own lengthy discussions with enthusiasts at shows and cruises, have convinced me to leave it "as is". There is a lot to be said for having a completely original motor and drive train without me mucking it up just because I think a center console shift looks more sporty.

Old April 20th, 2021, 02:32 PM

Correction - The weatherman was wrong on count two, the snow is definitely sticking now!