The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2020, 04:33 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - That's great about the out-building. Glad you're going to put in a lift. Make certain the chicken is "cooked" as in a done dead piece of meat.

After my very unceremonious day, I'm cooking a supreme pizza & retiring to the Davenport (I like that word instead of sofa and/or couch) & see if I like this Netflix serious my younger brother told me about. It's called Dexter. "By day, mild-mannered Dexter is a blood-splatter analyst for the Miami police. But at night, he is a serial killer who only targets other murderers." It sounds familiar, I may have started watching it at some point in the past year and it didn't hold my interest. I'll see.
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris that's a good looking group you got there. I second Norm's take on things. Glad you decided to get together.

Feels like a movie night. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Mike - Thanks for the compliment on my family. I always liked Minnie Pearl too, she was a hoot! I remember her the most from Hee Haw, what a show that was.
Old November 21st, 2020, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Mike, That sounds great- happy for ya, buddy! Norm, I hope your threads in the oil pan are good enough. Mine weren't in my 300 6. That had 1/2 20 threads, your newer Diesel probably has something metric. I'm sure you can get a oversize one if you need to.
Greg. I was fortunate it was only the drain plug and not stripped out oil pan threads. Yes, it was metric - IIRC, it was M14, 1.25. The local parts store had Gorman, not Motorcraft or Ford original, but it fit correctly. I might stop by Ford dealership and pick up an OEM. I reamed and cleaned the oil pan drain plug threads exceedingly well prior to inserting the new drain plug, wrenched it in 1/2, backed it out, cleaned the oil pan drain plug threads again and reinserted the new oil pan drain plug and it fit great.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Honestly, I don't think I'm very good - I would say I'm an average golfer in all respects.

Norm, I respectfully disagree, Any single digit handicap is good, Maybe not as good as you'd like to be but good. What's the average? 15? 16?

Chris, Nice looking Clan ya got there. Please don't let the little fella learn the "Lumber Jack song"
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...01%26PC%3dHCTS
Old November 22nd, 2020, 04:32 AM

That's a good deal Norm, glad it worked out. My neighbor brought over his 02 Chevy pickup yesterday. Brakes making noise in rear. We pulled the rear brakes(discs) and found the right rear inner pad worn to steel and the rotor scored. 2 new rotors and a set of pads were $156.00. Went to take off rotors and the parking brake was never used but the backing plate and attachment was all rusted to pieces. These brakes have a "shoe" that fits inside the "hat" of the rotor and is actuated by a cable. But instead of 2 shoes like on regular drum brakes, it is just one that is almost a complete circle with a 2" or so opening the cam/actuator sits in and spreads out the circle shoe. What a chintsy cheap POS! Anyway the "backing plate" was so rusted it crumbled in my hands. So we took off all the parking brake from inside the rotor and left it off. When we went to the parts store and talked to the guy, he said "Oh yeah we just shitcan all that parking brake crap!". Well this salt sure does ruin our vehicles, but still.... I can't believe what a cheap junk setup it is!!
Old November 22nd, 2020, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Chris, Nice looking Clan ya got there. Please don't let the little fella learn the "Lumber Jack" song
James - Thanks. You're right, gotta keep him away from that one!
Old November 22nd, 2020, 05:43 AM

After my very unceremonious day, I'm cooking a supreme pizza & retiring to the Davenport (I like that word instead of sofa and/or couch) & see if I like this Netflix serious my younger brother told me about. It's called Dexter. "By day, mild-mannered Dexter is a blood-splatter analyst for the Miami police. But at night, he is a serial killer who only targets other murderers." It sounds familiar, I may have started watching it at some point in the past year and it didn't hold my interest. I'll see.
Norm - OK, what's your review of ​​​Dexter? My oldest daughter turned my wife on to that series and they both loved it. Didn't sound like my cup of tea so I passed and didn't watch it.. What did you think? Netflix does have some good series from time to time, my favorite was Sons of Anarchy.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 06:03 AM

Good morning guys,
It rained all afternoon and evening yesterday, through the night, and is just now moving out. Gray and chilly here right now at 40, and not supposed to get any higher than 50. Not too great for doing anything outside. No big plans for today, other than I think my wife wants to run to Harbor Freight and purchase a light duty router for her wood projects. She's still working on her Laundry Room remodeling project and needs a router for some aspect of building the cabinets she's going to hang in there. I've learned to just stay out of the way and let her do her thing unless she calls "Uncle" for some help.

Hope everyone has a relaxing Sunday!
Old November 22nd, 2020, 06:14 AM

I think we need to start a pool many days [weeks, months, years] it takes Mike to move

I'm never moving, I'm leaving all my junk to my younger wife. She can deal with it
Old November 22nd, 2020, 07:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Busy at the Awful house this morning. Sat and talked with James. I see him in there all the time but don't usually talk with him. No real reason, just never have. But it was nice to chat a little this morning.

It's sunny and nice out and I hope it warms up a little. I should really try to get the Corvair worked on, even though I don't have all the parts. It's hard to move a car that's up on jackstands. Was gonna ask the chef at Awful house to help me put the top back on the Mercedes, but he was busy and I didn't get the chance. It will be okay until next week.

Norm we used to watch Dexter at work during break. I assume you're talking about the show where the guy dismembers the bad guys, and not the cartoon. I didn't pay much attention to it, but it was no worse than Family Guy or Southpark, other shows we'd watch at break.

It's JFK day. I must look wretched for my age, because people ask me where I was when he was shot. Hell, I wasn't even born yet! My Granddad was a big supporter, and he had a heart attack 7 days later and died and the family blamed it on Kennedy being shot. Hm.

Okay here I go. Hope everyone has a great day.

Old November 22nd, 2020, 08:58 AM

Update on 65 Dymamic 88 I was looking at

Guys,
A couple days ago I had contacted a salesman at Volo and asked a couple of questions about the car, including whether they would consider an offer on the car. The salesman told me they would not, their cars are sold at the listed price. I emailed the salesman today and asked if there was a mechanism where I could be notified of a price drop. He responded they now have a deposit on the car at the listed price, but could notify me if the sale fell through. I said thanks, but no thanks. Done deal, or should I say no deal!
Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:17 AM

Chris, If it ain't on the menu, there's always another café
Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:30 AM
Running On Empty

James - Thanks for the evaluation. Alright, I'd say I'm "not bad".
Chris/Mike - Yes, Dexter (Netflix) is about the blood spatter forensic analyst who dismembers. I watched four episodes last night (44 minutes each). It held my attention long enough to stay entertained. Noteworthy is the fact the executive producer is none other than John Goldwyn of the (MGM) Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer fiefdom (paternal grandparent Samuel Goldwyn). I'm going to continue to watch it - it's pretty good. I've watched Breaking Bad (exceptional), probably the best made for Netflix I've ever watched, Orange Is The New Black (excellent), House Of Cards (very good until Kevin Spacey screwed the pooch), Shameless (exceptional), Bates Motel (pretty decent) & many others but those are at the top of my list. I found Sons Of Anarchy to be nothing more than fair to be honest.

Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:39 AM
Running On Empty

I think we need to start a pool many days [weeks, months, years] it takes Mike to move
I think it's going to depend on what Mike is doing w/ his current Ponderosa. His closing date is just before Christmas, but will he move his iron menagerie and cornucopia prior to closing or will it all remain for Eons after he moves into his new house? Much depends on this, I suppose.

Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:41 AM

Chris, If it ain't on the menu, there's always another café
James - You're certainly right there, and I'll keep perusing the various classic car sites just because I love looking at all the varieties of cars offered up. This 65 just got my "blood boiling" because of it's true survivor status. I'm over it and moving on.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:48 AM

James - Thanks for the evaluation. Alright, I'd say I'm "not bad".
Chris/Mike - Yes, Dexter (Netflix) is about the blood spatter forensic analyst who dismembers. I watched four episodes last night (44 minutes each). It held my attention long enough to stay entertained. Noteworthy is the fact the executive producer is none other than John Goldwyn of the (MGM) Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer fiefdom (paternal grandparent Samuel Goldwyn). I'm going to continue to watch it - it's pretty good. I've watched Breaking Bad (exceptional), probably the best made for Netflix I've ever watched, Orange Is The New Black (excellent), House Of Cards (very good until Kevin Spacey screwed the pooch), Shameless (exceptional), Bates Motel (pretty decent) & many others but those are at the top of my list. I found Sons Of Anarchy to be nothing more than fair to be honest.

https://youtu.be/nrLyllumxts
Norm - I don't know how I didn't think of Breaking Bad it was exceptional, and my wife really enjoyed Bates Motel. Another one just popped into my mind we both really liked and that was Ozark with Jason Bateman.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:49 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I haven't watched Ozark - something for my watch list.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 09:53 AM

My step son Fell asleep watching Breaking bad " on DVDS one night and I awoke to the last scene as the M-60 in the trunk emptied all of it rounds. I can still hear it
Old November 22nd, 2020, 10:13 AM
Always room for one more

Ah Chris, you didn't say it was at Volo. I've never heard anything bad about them, but their prices are usually in the stratosphere. Clever people they are, calling themselves a museum so you're basically paying an admission to shop their used car lot.

Norm I hope it doesn't take too long to get things moved. I certainly won't move things before the closing, but I might try to take off the week between Christmas and New Years and get something done. Crap if I do that I'll have to go to my Mom's for Christmas. I'm trying to get out of that.

Decided I better get to Walmart before it got too late. Just got back. Wasn't bad this time, got in and out with minimal grief.

Boy it's nice out. Think I'll do something outside.

Old November 22nd, 2020, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Ah Chris, you didn't say it was at Volo. I've never heard anything bad about them, but their prices are usually in the stratosphere. Clever people they are, calling themselves a museum so you're basically paying an admission to shop their used car lot.

Boy it's nice out. Think I'll do something outside.
Mike - You're right about Volo's pricing, they always have plenty of really nice cars and they're damn proud of them. Somehow they find buyers that are willing to pay their exorbitant prices though. I can't really imagine anyone other than an Old's collector that just wanted to fill a slot in their collection that would pay that kind of money for that 65 I was looking at.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 11:36 AM

Today is the day Kennedy was shot in Dallas I was leaving high school P.E class walking up the lower hall on my way to my last class English
Old November 22nd, 2020, 12:38 PM

Today is the day Kennedy was shot in Dallas I was leaving high school P.E class walking up the lower hall on my way to my last class English
I was in the second grade when it came over the P.A., our teacher started crying. I remember that episode of Breaking Bad, the rigged 50 cal. in the trunk. I am currently watching Fargo, and will start streaming the 3rd season of Yellowstone tonight. Still waiting for the final season of Vikings to start, presumabley in December. Greg, talking about crappy brakes, in 2007, I bought a new Malibu Max and after a couple of years it needed a brake job. As it was in the winter, I just wasn't into doing it in the driveway, so I took it to my favorite garage. He did the fronts, and said that I should get the rears done real soon as they were falling apart. I said the rears should be fine, they don't wear as fast, he replied, no they are falling apart. I took a good look at the rear rotors through the spoked aluminum wheels, and the rotors were literally rusting apart. Low grade cast iron rotors. I bought one more GM car after that, and then switched to the Hyundai that I have now.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 01:22 PM

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3pidnp\

Myth Busters re did the scene to see if it would really work

With all due respect it wasn't a 50 cal, it was a M 60 which fires a 7.62 NATO round. I'm sure you've seen them many times in Huey doors when the door gunner is killing Commines for Christ in Nam;'
M 60 pic

50 cal pic [ much bigger machine gun]

Old November 22nd, 2020, 01:26 PM

I was 4 when JFK was shot. I vividly remember my Mom crying standing in front of the tv.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 01:49 PM
Running On Empty

I was eleven the day JFK was shot. I was eight when I shook Senator John F. Kennedy's hand @ the Meadowdale Shopping Center, Carpentersville, Illinois October 25, 1960.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 02:49 PM

Norm - That is so cool you actually got to shake JFK's hand. My single presidential encounter was much less glamorous. As you probably know, Gerald Ford was raised in Grand Rapids, MI. When I was attending Albion, the college started the Gerald Ford Institute and he came to speak at it's opening. Any student that wanted to shake hands with him afterwards was allowed so I did.

My younger sister was held by Hubert Humphrey at a rally at the Battle Creek airport on Halloween on the eve of the 1968 election. Her costume was a pumpkin. The picture of her in Humphrey's arms was on the front page of the Battle Creek paper the next morning. The paper was kind enough to send copies of the pics to my parents.

My Dad holding my sister with Humphrey at the 1968 Rally.

Humphrey holding my sister.

Old November 22nd, 2020, 02:49 PM

I stand corrected on the machine gun used in Breaking Bad, and I learned something as well, as I always thought that those door guns on the 'Nam Huey's were .50 caliber. I was about 4 years old when JFK came to the Muskegon County airport, which was about a mile away from where I lived at the time. My mom and I walked to the airport to see him there.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 02:55 PM

Not to be out done, I once watched Jimmy Carter, empty the sand out of his boots in the dining room at Cumberland Island. Sum how our great grand mothers are related

Most of the time ya see 50 cal on tanks and of course The Rat Patrol. They are

BIG
Old November 22nd, 2020, 03:46 PM
Running On Empty

I have a half dozen .50 caliber metal ammunition boxes. I think you can probably still purchase them at Army/Navy stores maybe? They make great storage containers.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 03:48 PM

Fun Fact: Every machine gun used on land, sea, and air by the US in both world wars and Korea was designed by John M Browning. He also designed perennial favorites such as the 1911 .45 pistol, and the Winchester Model 94, as well as the first semi automatic shotgun, the Auto 5.

Old November 22nd, 2020, 06:18 PM

Most of the time ya see 50 cal on tanks and of course The Rat Patrol. They are

BIG
That was one of my favorite shows when I was a young 'un.

Several years ago I did a three day 4WD trip along El Camino del Diablo (look it up, it's fascinating) and when going through the Barry Goldwater Air Force Range I saw something in the dirt so I stopped and got out. It was a .50 cal BMG shell casing with LC 42 stamped in the base. That is Lake City Arsenal, who makes most all the military ammunition, with a manufacture date of 1942. Dang, those shells are BIG. This one was left behind during practice fire strafing runs sometime in the past when military aircraft still used .50 cal machine guns. It may have even been from WWII training.

Last edited by Fun71; November 22nd, 2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 06:53 PM

Ft. Custer, located in Battle Creek, MI where I grew up was a very large Army base during WWII. It was the proving grounds for all the armored equipment and artillery being produced over in Detroit during the war. The size of the base gradually dwindled down to nothing after the war, and in the 1970's through some deal the city acquired a bunch of the land and it was turned into both an industrial and recreational park, with camping. A buddy of mine and another guy went camping out there one weekend and my buddy found what he later described as a large artillery shell that was about 6 inches in diameter and 2 feet long. He placed it in the back of his pickup and forgot about it. Later he climbed up into the back of his truck which had a cap on it, and he was moving some stuff around to find some piece of gear and while he was doing it the shell went off. It was a miracle he survived, after 2 months in the hospital, a month of which was in ICU, and a couple of reconstructive surgeries, he finally came back to school. He was in really bad shape and was never physically well again.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 12:58 AM

Chris, That's awful. Around these parts ya used to hear about people trying to defuse civil war cannon ***** and met their fate. Not so much any more

John Browning was a genius

I have a bunch of Belgium Superposed over under that I used to hunt with and or shoot skeet and trap. Outstanding guns. The only problem with them is you can't shoot the new [stupid] steel waterfowl shot in them because the have chrome barrels. Fortunately, Browning made some barrels for my A-5 just for that purpose

Curve, Which came out 1st the Browning A-5 or the Remington model 11

Never mind, Curiosity got the better of me so I did a little googling. The A-5 came out 1st and the Model11 , major difference was it didn't have a magazine cut off like the A-5

Mike, There's an M-60 ammo box bolted to my old trailer that used to store chains, straps etc
Old November 23rd, 2020, 06:46 AM

Chris, That's awful. Around these parts ya used to hear about people trying to defuse civil war cannon ***** and met their fate. Not so much any more

John Browning was a genius

I have a bunch of Belgium Superposed over under that I used to hunt with and or shoot skeet and trap. Outstanding guns. The only problem with them is you can't shoot the new [stupid] steel waterfowl shot in them because the have chrome barrels. Fortunately, Browning made some barrels for my A-5 just for that purpose
James - I agree with you that John Browning was a genius and they made superior and beautiful shotguns. As much as he bird hunted and competed in skeet and trap, my brother had a couple. After carrying my Winchester side by side since I was sixteen, I never could get used to the sight line of an over/under, it just didn't feel right. The prices were also a factor. Browning also made another historic WWII weapon that I own the modern sporting version of, and that is the BAR. I have one in the same caliber (7mm Rem Mag) as my Remington 700 bolt action. It is a beautiful rifle, but as usually is the case with most semi-automatic rifles, it will not shoot as tight a group as my bolt action because of the nature of the receiver and the shorter barrel length. I used to take it with me to Colorado as a back-up, but it never made it out of it's case. I don't know exactly when or why, but although Browning is still making the sporting versions of the BAR, they have discontinued making one in the 7mm Rem Mag caliber.

Old November 23rd, 2020, 07:45 AM

The only problem with them is you can't shoot the new [stupid] steel waterfowl shot in them because the have chrome barrels.
I wonder if that was due to the concern of the steel shot scraping the barrel? If so, it is easily overcome by using the right shot wad. I reload shotshells and investigated reloading steel shot back when all the factory steel offerings had the same pathetic velocity as lead shot (1200 fps or so). I found components that allowed loading 1 1/8 ounce of steel shot to velocities of 1700+ fps with chamber pressures lower or the same as factory loads. The shot wads were a bit longer, and also stretched slightly due to shot set-back during ignition, so they fully protected the barrel. Of course these were available only as reloading components back then and not available in factory shells.

Last edited by Fun71; November 23rd, 2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 07:55 AM

Good morning guys,
It's pretty here this morning, but cool. It's not supposed to get above 52. Boy, I must have been tired because I slept in until almost 0800. I almost never do that. No big plans for today, maybe a walk or two with the dogs since it's nice and they like to go in the cooler weather..

Just watched a great video clip explaining in layman's terms the "mRNA" technology behind a couple of the new Covid vaccines. It is truly amazing, it's like high tech fused with biochemistry. In these vaccines you are Not injected with small amounts of real virus. The "m" in "mRNA" stands for message. It is essentially a message to the receptors in your cells not to allow the RNA (protein) code for Covid to enter your cells. Once vaccinated, your body is able to rapidly duplicate these "messages" and send them throughout the body to make you immune. Absolutely amazing!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old November 23rd, 2020, 09:22 AM

Kenneth, The only shell reloading I've ever done was Winchester AA skeet loads, As a poor college kid, I sometime was forced to re use wads picked up at the range and shell so beat up you had to seal the crimp with hot wax to keep from hearing the shot roll down the barrel when you put a shell in

I actually had a Texan single stage loader in my dorm room with Red dot powder. I worked as a trap boy so I got to shoot for free and many of the kind members would sell me lead powder, primers at their cost [ they were buying in bulk\
Old November 23rd, 2020, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I wonder if that was due to the concern of the steel shot scraping the barrel? If so, it is easily overcome by using the right shot wad. I reload shotshells and investigated reloading steel shot back when all the factory steel offerings had the same pathetic velocity as lead shot (1200 fps or so). I found components that allowed loading 1 1/8 ounce of steel shot to velocities of 1700+ fps with chamber pressures lower or the same as factory loads. The shot wads were a bit longer, and also stretched slightly due to shot set-back during ignition, so they fully protected the barrel. Of course these were available only as reloading components back then and not available in factory shells.
What powder did you use ?
Old November 23rd, 2020, 09:50 AM

Yeah, I have reused casings to that point as well. Luckily one of my coworker friends went to a skeet range for a while and was able to pick up garbage bags full of once-fired AA casings, so we both ended up with way more than enough, and I was able to toss the "well used" casings.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
What powder did you use ?
Alliant Steel, back when it was first introduced to the market.

https://www.alliantpowder.com/produc...der/steel.aspx