The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2024, 07:36 PM

Do not quit John.

Get in touch with the https://uawendorsements.org/map/indiana/
Old June 12th, 2024, 07:56 PM
Running On Empty

Most devices, appliances, (esp. electrical) fail during a state change. Leave an electrical device set to ON it will struggle to die. Continue to turn the electrical device ON/OFF (change state) & it will easily fail at some point since the state change (ON/OFF) is the greatest wear to the device - even if it moves a mechanical device. Like my old dryer with the ramp-up clutch, those things were built to last. Instead of throwing 220V (x number of amps) directly at the motor, they employ a clutch which ramps up the motor gradually.

John - I couldn't handle the ****-show you're growing through - it wouldn't be worth my time; although, I'd hate to think they won. My time isn't worth the aggravation - I'd quit.
Old June 12th, 2024, 08:04 PM

John - I'd hate to think they won. isn't worth the aggravation - I'd quit.[/QUOTE]

Make them fire you. Do not quit My2cents
Old June 12th, 2024, 08:14 PM

Norm are you familiar with Ben Logan The Land Remembers writing
Old June 12th, 2024, 08:15 PM
Running On Empty

Having them fire you creates another **** show as you explain to another potential employer why you were fired. Better to quit. Being fired isn't the end of the world; yet, it's like moving from one quagmire into the next.
Old June 12th, 2024, 08:19 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Norm are you familiar with Ben Logan The Land Remembers writing
A little - very little.
Old June 12th, 2024, 08:27 PM

WPR had the 15 chapter version for chapter a day the past few weeks. The setting and story takes place in Southwest Wisco back on a family farm in the mid late 30's maybe a story you will enjoy and have some relation, and some good memories with. I certainly enjoyed the authors perspective and the way with his words. Check it out if you ever get the chance
Old June 12th, 2024, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Most devices, appliances, (esp. electrical) fail during a state change. Leave an electrical device set to ON it will struggle to die.
Electronics have a finite lifetime and will eventually fail when they reach that wear-out time. Turning them off when not needed will extend the lifetime.
Old June 12th, 2024, 09:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Electronics have a finite lifetime and will eventually fail when they reach that wear-out time. Turning them off when not needed will extend the lifetime.
Disagree.
Old June 12th, 2024, 09:08 PM

Realize you are disagreeing with an electronics failure analysis engineer.
Old June 12th, 2024, 09:09 PM
Running On Empty

That's sorta like saying if you never turn them ON...they'll never fail?
The greatest stress placed on the device is turning them ON/OFF. That is effectively why most appliances, and in particular quality built machinery (e.g. engines, electrical devices, etc.) are rated in cycles of use.
Old June 12th, 2024, 09:13 PM
Running On Empty

Realize you are disagreeing with an electronics failure analysis engineer.
I'd argue the absolute greatest majority of all appliances, devices manufactured fail during change state as the result of ramp-up power surge and down surge (cycles/unit-time). In your field it may mean one thing, but the vast majority of devices (mechanical &/or electric), I would argue fail during change state and the greatest stress on those items occurs during the change state.
Old June 13th, 2024, 04:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Planned on working early this morning. Got up at 1 for the dog and decided going back to bed for an hour wasn't going to cut it. We'll try again for tomorrow. Nothing said about Saturday as of yet, I can't imagine we wouldn't work.

John these people are absolutely trying to get you to quit. But to their detriment they have grossly underestimated you. I realize you haven't solicited anyone's opinion, but mine would be to just quit. Give two weeks notice? I don't think so. It isn't a law and that would be the worst two weeks of your life. Five minutes after you walk out the door it will be John who. You aren't going to get what you want, all of a sudden, and you aren't going to cripple the operation with anything you do or don't do. Why put yourself through it. They will claim victory regardless, but you will be the victor by being rid of those ********, and they will be the losers because they will still be ********. Best of luck to you. Move to Atlanta with the cool people.

Got the doghouse put back together on the van yesterday. Took the fan belt off and it was moments from shredding. It had separated in several places, it was ribbons holding on by threads. Of course I bought the wrong belt so I swapped it out on the way to Mom's and I'll put it on this weekend.

Okay things are finally getting going. The lead stands up here at 6 and says, we need to get going and have a good day. Then he walks off and everyone takes an hour's break. You'd think he'd notice that.

Have a good day everyone.

Edit: We just get going and Simon walks in late with donuts. Now everyone is sitting down again. Sheesh.

Last edited by slantflat; June 13th, 2024 at 04:05 AM.
Old June 13th, 2024, 04:33 AM

At my old position we had relays that had been in service since the 40’s. I know this because they were tested monthly, bi annually and annually and the annual test included recording the date of manufacture

Sometimes things fail when you turn them off : In the same position we had a truck that ate wheel bearings an 08 Silverado 4wd I think
snyhow on set 2 or 3 our boss didn’t believe they were going out again. We drove it and drove it. They shook and growled and it started to pull to one side. We parked it for lunch and it would not move after. The bearings got so hot and welded themselves shut as it cooled It had to be towed off

Im off for the weekend so I’m starting to set up the ac components
Old June 13th, 2024, 06:17 AM
Running On Empty

Matt - Good luck w/ the AC.
Old June 13th, 2024, 07:16 AM

Matt - Good luck w/ the AC.
x2!
Old June 13th, 2024, 08:11 AM

John - I'm sorry you got blindsided at work, that really sucks. Sounds like you are dealing with some real A-holes. I'm hesitant to offer advice, but I agree with Norm, I wouldn't let it get to the point where they fire me because it just opens up another can of negative worms. I hope you can somehow continue to work the system until you can get out on the best terms possible. I think I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again, after 33 great years where I worked, my last 2 years were Hell. I was determined to not let them beat me, so I held on, kept my head down, and kept waiting for an opportunity to leave in my favor and luckily it eventually came. I don't want you to make yourself sick about this, but I wouldn't let them fire me for sure, and I wouldn't quit until I was sure I had exhausted all potential avenues to either improve the working conditions or get some kind of buyout or deal to leave. Just my 2-cents, and I wish you all the luck in the world.
Old June 13th, 2024, 04:34 PM

Crap! Power went out about 10-minutes ago. At first I thought it might be a brown-out since it was very warm today, high of 96°. Wife checked the utility sight and they're saying there's a tree down across the lines on the main street from our subdivision to town. Approx. restoration time right now is 8:30pm. I don't think the temp indoors will rise too quickly, but our main concern right now is keeping the dogs cool. If push came to shove we'd head to her daughter's unoccupied home about 45-miles away where the utilities are still on.
Old June 14th, 2024, 06:23 AM

Well, the power company only missed the originally projected restoration time by 8-hours, got power back about 4:30 this morning. It only got up to 79° in the house, but it was sticky and of course no fans, it was a long night. Could have easily been worse, if it had stayed off all day today we would have had to relocate the dogs to someplace with A/C.
Old June 14th, 2024, 11:07 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

That's a long time to be without air Chris. Fridge stay okay? You could have sat out in the car with the AC on. I'm sure you were annoyed I know I would have been.

Finished up at work a little while ago. Signed 38 wheels today. Not bad. Working tomorrow.

Beautiful out. Nope, not gonna do stuff after work, Mom needs to go to Publix. She couldn't go tomorrow, or get what she needs Sunday at Walmart. She has to get it today.

Geez the lead is calling everyone up. He's early. Have a good day everyone.

Old June 14th, 2024, 11:11 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Geez the lead is calling everyone up. He's early.
$5,000 bonus for everyone?
Old June 14th, 2024, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

That's a long time to be without air Chris. Fridge stay okay? You could have sat out in the car with the AC on. I'm sure you were annoyed I know I would have been.

Finished up at work a little while ago. Signed 38 wheels today. Not bad. Working tomorrow.
Mike - Our fridge has an automatic ice maker and an unusually large reservoir for the ice. First thing I did as soon as the power went out was grab all the ice out of the freezer. Took 3/4 of the ice and put it in a very large bowl, then put that bowl in the Fridge on the top shelf. Then grabbed each of us 3 cold drinks out of the Fridge and put them in a small cooler with the rest of the ice from the freezer. After that, we had no more need to get in the Fridge at all. When I opened it up at 5 this morning everything was good and cold, and the ice in the bowl had hardly melted.

Sounds like you had a good day at work and got out early, good for you. I know others have said it, but I'll say it again, you're a great Son taking care of your Mom the way you do.
Old June 14th, 2024, 02:23 PM

Anyone hear from Jim? Any updates? Off to Homecoming tomorrow, supposed to be 80ish.
Old June 14th, 2024, 02:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Anyone hear from Jim? Any updates?
Haven't heard from, Jim; but he is lurking about...

I suspected he was a stalker.
Old June 14th, 2024, 02:38 PM

Haven't heard from, Jim; but he is lurking about...

Good to know. Thanks.
Old June 14th, 2024, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Anyone hear from Jim? Any updates? Off to Homecoming tomorrow, supposed to be 80ish.
Dan - Have fun at Homecoming, sounds like.the weather's gonna be great! 👍
Old June 15th, 2024, 01:24 AM
Always room for one more

Good 4o'clock everyone.

You know what's funny, that isn't funny, the lead only got us together to tell us to clean up. He then came back at his usual 227 to dismiss us. But, being Friday, everyone else left early and there was no traffic getting out of here. Chump.

I don't mind taking Mom places, I really don't. But I get frustrated when I have things that really, really need to get done and she comes up with I have to go to Publix. Then she gets mad when I can't take the trash to my house, or take the laundry, because it won't fit in the car. Not that I want trash in my car.

I don't know about Jamesbo. I sure miss him but maybe this episode has shown him that there are more important things in life than to sit and look at the internet all day. Actually I know he doesn't do that, Jamesbo does an enormous amount of stuff every day. Or maybe he's just enjoying being home with his wife and not running all over hell's half acre.

So this afternoon, after we get out of here, it will be Awful house and then serpentine belt on the van. If that's successful, I'll start on the shocks on the black truck. He's been up on jackstands with the front wheels off for a week. I'll give them another shot of Kroil then have at it. It just gets better from there.

Okay time to start thinking about maybe doing something. I wish others would think the same. Have a good weekend everyone.

Old June 15th, 2024, 06:26 AM
Always room for one more

Five hours in. The machine that brings the tires to the robot was broke for about an hour, the lead said he might send us home. It got fixed, though.

We only have two wall guys, and 6 mechanics. I have 16 wheels, everyone else is around that, so we should be done soon. Then we get to sit.

I think after I work on the trucks I'll pull out one of the Valiants to work on. I need to drive a Valiant it's been too long.

Just got word we are at 69. We're headed to 100. Gee hope we make it.

Okay carry on.

Old June 15th, 2024, 07:03 AM

Mike - Hope you get out early, and good luck with the auto work.
Old June 15th, 2024, 07:14 AM
Running On Empty

OK. I can now settle in to my weekend routine. Changed oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter & lubed the JD ZTR mower deck yesterday. Remove battery today, clean battery posts & (-) ground wire(s) then hose it down. A service technician just left after making an upgrade to the electric/electronics board on my 15 year old Frigidaire Professional Oven/Range. There was some recall/upgrade notice he had to perform to remain code compliant. So, now that he's gone I can vacuum/clean the entire cubby hole and sides before sliding the oven/range back into its cubby hole.
Old June 15th, 2024, 08:14 AM
Running On Empty

Y'all recall the whack-job female member (now w/ two banned member accounts) ranting on about her supposed dwarf issues? Found her - she's been hiding behind my oven/range.
Old June 15th, 2024, 08:20 AM

Y'all recall the whack-job female member (now w/ two banned member accounts) ranting on about her supposed dwarf issues? Found her - she's been hiding behind my oven/range.
LMAO, I don't think I'll ever forget that whack-job, serious issues! 🤪🤣
Old June 15th, 2024, 08:28 AM

Headed to the newest local cruise-in at Culver's in Festus this afternoon/evening. It's convenient since it's only about 8-miles from me. This cruise-in just started this year, but has been very popular. There is not much parking at Culver's itself, but they have permission from the Bank next door to use their large lot and it has been working out well so far.

My youngest is having us over for Father's Day tomorrow at 6pm. They're doing BBQ which will be nice.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old June 15th, 2024, 08:32 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Sounds like a pleasant weekend. Enjoy.
Old June 15th, 2024, 08:49 AM

I remember that lady and a few other Olds ladies over the years that went nuts. I'm an engineer, not a psychologist, but I think women that hang out in primarily dude spaces and do primarily dude hobbies are not quite on the centerline of normal brains for women. This is not a bad thing, what guy wouldn't want a girl who likes the same hobbies he does and is low maintenance? But, I have found that they tend to go nuts after some time. On the other hand, this may simply be correlation and not causation, a lot of women go nuts independent of their hobbies.

While on the subject I have found even the most sensible women get very demanding in their elderly years. My grandmother wanted me to take her to the bank, I told her I couldn't, she threatened to walk. I told her it was Sunday and the bank was closed, could we go on Monday? She thought about it and agreed. I have no idea what she thought about, as the financial affairs of a then-96 year old woman are not pressing on a day to day basis.

I moved to a new hotel. This one is much nicer. I'll be here through Wed night. Leaving early Thursday morning and driving home, then into the plant for a promotion interview (this is one of the two this sham inquisition is graciously allowing me to keep.) Speaking of said sham inquisition, I have communicated with the manager of the HR chick I am including in my complaints, so the recipient of the complaints is identified. I will spend this weekend writing them (already got some part of it done) and bombardment will commence at 0900 Monday.

I realized I have multiple things in my favor, and one of them is the ridiculous nature of the low level of the "offenses" in the memo. I want to say something like "I realize, due to the weak and ridiculous nature of the complaint, that publishing it in either the legal or public arena would be damaging to human resources' credibility in the eyes of the production engineering division, especially after the large disparity in compensation increase this year between the line workers and the engineers (a disparity that many engineers find insulting.) As I am submitting these complaints in good faith, I will not do such a thing, however, that good faith submission is predicated on the good faith behavior, in return, from human resources, specifically, to complete such investigations as needed to result in positive actions for my position, and not to dismiss my case after determining there is no DEI benefit or that the target of my complaints outranks me and deciding you want to side with them solely on that reasoning."

I'm trying to say what I want to say, and get them to take the hint, while being able to defend against any allegations of being threatening.
Old June 15th, 2024, 08:59 AM

Chris - Sounds like a pleasant weekend. Enjoy.
Tanks Norm, hope you have a great one too!
Old June 15th, 2024, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I realized I have multiple things in my favor, and one of them is the ridiculous nature of the low level of the "offenses" in the memo. I want to say something like "I realize, due to the weak and ridiculous nature of the complaint, that publishing it in either the legal or public arena would be damaging to human resources' credibility in the eyes of the production engineering division, especially after the large disparity in compensation increase this year between the line workers and the engineers (a disparity that many engineers find insulting.) As I am submitting these complaints in good faith, I will not do such a thing, however, that good faith submission is predicated on the good faith behavior, in return, from human resources, specifically, to complete such investigations as needed to result in positive actions for my position, and not to dismiss my case after determining there is no DEI benefit or that the target of my complaints outranks me and deciding you want to side with them solely on that reasoning."

I'm trying to say what I want to say, and get them to take the hint, while being able to defend against any allegations of being threatening.
John - Wish you the best of luck with your interview when you get back. I hope they take the hint and back off of their position, and things don't have to get nasty, for everyone's sake, but especially for you. 🤞
Old June 15th, 2024, 06:05 PM

Dang it’s hot out. Topped out at 113 degrees today. It’s too hot to go check the mail. It’ll have to wait until well after the sun goes down.
Old June 15th, 2024, 06:08 PM
Running On Empty

It was hot here today, as well. Nothing stupid like Phoenix though.
Old June 15th, 2024, 07:38 PM

Guess I’ll wait til after 8 to check the mail.