The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2024, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm ball joints would be included in the rebuilding.

Ya Chris, I'm for sure not wanting the tubular arms. I doubt he ever works on the car again so he wouldnt know if I changed anything. But I dont want his brother to get in a twist if I said his work was subpar. I may not say anything. Or I could change everything out and give him back his parts.
Gotcha, now I know why you're going the direction you're going.
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:10 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm ball joints would be included in the rebuilding.
Mike - Forgot about those pesky ball joints. Still, that's pretty simple & I'd opt for using the original control arms.
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - How many vehicles currently reside on your properties?
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:21 PM
Running On Empty

Current leader of the Big Rock Tournament is a 516 lb Blue Marlin
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Current leader of the Big Rock Tournament is a 516 lb Blue Marlin
Wow, just Wow, can you even imagine having a beast like that on! Such beautiful fish! Don't know how many days are left.in the tourney, but I'd bet a paycheck no one's gonna beat that. Norm, how big do the largest Grouper get? I'm thinking over 500lbs.
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:40 PM

I just read the largest Goliath Grouper ever caught was off the coast of Florida, 680lbs.
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Wow, just Wow, can you even imagine having a beast like that on! Such beautiful fish! Don't know how many days are left.in the tourney, but I'd bet a paycheck no one's gonna beat that. Norm, how big do the largest Grouper get? I'm thinking over 500lbs.
Off top of my head you're in the right category for weight. They may get larger ~800 lbs? They're called a jew fish but I think they're same family of fish just called a goliaith grouper? I've never seen one. Largest grouper I've ever caught was ~45 lbs.
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:50 PM
Running On Empty

I just read the largest Goliath Grouper ever caught was off the coast of Florida, 680lbs.
OK. I always called them Jewfish. Think I'll reacquaint myself with some Ichthyology.
Old June 11th, 2024, 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

In 2001, the American Fisheries Society changed the name to "goliath grouper" after complaints that the nickname was culturally insensitive.
Goliath Grouper is politically correct, then.
Old June 11th, 2024, 02:03 PM

Goliath Grouper is politically correct, then.
I hate that $hit, just as ridiculous as the Washington Redskins becoming the Washington Commanders. Just ain't right!
Old June 11th, 2024, 02:43 PM
Running On Empty

Thought I'd look up another very popular name - that of the 'Wandering Jew' plant which is a favorite among many people who buy & grow it. Yep, last year (2023) The American Botanical Society ditched the Wandering Jew name for similar culturally insensitive shenanigans.

Old June 11th, 2024, 04:20 PM

New York Strip, green beans, White Cheddar Mac & Cheese, and Bread w/real butter. Yum!!!
Old June 11th, 2024, 04:26 PM
Running On Empty

You should never eat anything but real butter. The AMA guidance on eggs was a complete bunch of B.S. for over three decades.

I had two hot dogs for dinner. Did not feel like cooking.
Old June 11th, 2024, 04:35 PM
Always room for one more

Norm how hilarious would it be if someone changed an "insensitive" name to something way more insensitive. I looked up Wandering Jew on Wikipedia, and found none of those other names offensive, but they did all sound stupid.

Chris looks like a good dinner. That's about how I like my bread.

Want to hear something dumb? I came home early tonight from Mom's to do the dishes. That in and of itself isn't dumb, but I feel better for doing them. Lately I've been in a bunch over a few things that I need to get done post haste, and haven't been able to. It's just been gnawing at me that these things were lingering. So tonight, I did the dishes. One less thing to worry about. Tomorrow I plan on working on the van some more. Another thing to not worry about. I've been taking the Fiat to Mom's in the evening, and bringing Tiger home in it. He goes over there every morning in it, but he doesn't like riding in it, and I hate that he has to. So tomorrow, I'll be able to take the van. He doesn't like it, either, but he has more room. It's the simple things that make me happy...

Okay Wednesday is upon us. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old June 11th, 2024, 04:40 PM

You should never eat anything but real butter. The AMA guidance on eggs was a complete bunch of B.S. for over three decades.

I had two hot dogs for dinner. Did not feel like cooking.
I agree 100%, nothing but real butter for this guy.

Lucky me, my wife was home in time to cook, although even I could have easily cooked this meal. Funny though, if she was going to be late I was going with hotdogs and going to save the steaks for tomorrow.
Old June 11th, 2024, 04:55 PM
Running On Empty

I’ve nearly convinced myself the greater % of Americans’ daily exercise involves one task - getting out of bed in the morning.
Old June 12th, 2024, 01:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Even though this is my not work early week, I decided to come in early. I could use the extra dough, and traffic is a lot better. So far we have three mechanics and just a handful of ASMs. Not a lot getting done. But, I'm getting paid.

We did Awful house after the doctor yesterday. It was less terrific than usual. We probably would have gone somewhere else but the car needed gas and that's right next door, so that's why we went there. I think I will suggest somewhere else next time, as the current afternoon staff is a bit lacking.

Work on the van to be done this afternoon. It just needs the doghouse put back together. It also needs a serpentine belt but that might not get done. What a pain that thing is. For me it's a couple hours job. I had one break once when I was on the expressway. I knew instantly, my first indication was I lost power steering. And I lost the alternator, then the temp went up and up and up. Changed the belt in the parking lot at work.

Well an hour in and nothing. I think I'll go take a walk. Hump Day! Have a good day everyone.

Old June 12th, 2024, 03:32 AM

Mike, you're a good man. I know it's irritating to take Ma to her appts and such. One day she will be gone and all of those chores will be good memories, Sorry I'm just missing my Mom, I guess.....
Old June 12th, 2024, 03:51 AM
Running On Empty

I had the serpentine belt disintegrate on my truck @ 180K miles. After the tow back to my house it took me one week to change the belt. Quite the labyrinth although I took the opportunity to install a new PS pump, new ALT, new various pulleys, new AC compressor, new AC dryer etc. Removing the radiator fan was the most time consuming. Ugh.

I've been washing the side of the original garage w/ a mix of Simple Green + Bleach. Going to try to get in 18 today.
Old June 12th, 2024, 06:03 AM

I finally settled on a AC system for my 64. I talked some with TheRobski, and decided on the Old Air Products system. I talked with them and ordered the complete kit for a 64 Chevelle, but had them switch the custom control sliders for a basic universal **** setup. The company of course knows nothing about a Cutlass, and didnt think anything would fit. The firewall blockoff plate fits, and the main unit fits behind the dash with a slight modification to the dash brace. I got the compressor to fit in the low mount spot which looks way better than up top. Baby steps, but its all moving forward. Im taking a long weekend, and also going to start the altman bear claw latch upgrade on the 55 truck.
Old June 12th, 2024, 07:39 AM

I have never lost a belt, but my Explorer locked up an idler pulley on the way to my job interview 18 years ago. I didn't lose the belt driven accessories, but had them at 20%. Was able to get to a parking lot of a motel. Called a rental car, got it, got to job interview early, did it, drove back, spent night, got parts from Ford, changed parts, turned in car, went home.

The inner race had tacked itself onto the bracket from the heat. Bearings turned into gravel went everywhere. I gave a few to my favorite prof at Rose next time I saw him. He had a jar of failed bearings; it's a mechanical engineering thing.

This hotel I am in is marginal, and they don't do housekeeping. Going somewhere else on Friday.
Old June 12th, 2024, 09:04 AM
Always room for one more

John that's the new thing. They only do housekeeping if you ask them. Well, maybe at the Hyatt.

Cake today. One of the guys became Employee of the Quarter. The work that he does in the shop; warranty, recycling, etc. has saved the shop about a million bucks. They need to do more for him than just a lousy cake.

Beautiful out. Went to my favorite lunch place, remember Mom and Sung? Well Mom has retired, again, and Sung's days are numbered. After he goes it will be taco's. But it was nice today.

Okay back at it. We went to lunch with 23 wheels. Not bad. We should finish nicely.

Old June 12th, 2024, 01:21 PM

Hi guys - Hope everyone is having a great day. House is starting to go up behind me (pic) in the 2nd to last Lot left in the subdivision. The last Lot can be seen in the 2nd pic, a corner lot between the house in the background and house on the right.

The baby Robins under our deck have hatched and Mom and Dad are busy trying to keep them fed.

Have a great evening! 😊

Old June 12th, 2024, 01:23 PM

Years ago my neighbor lost an idler pulley on her GMC van on the way back from California. It was weird - the belt stayed on what was left of the idler pulley and she was able to make it to her house. The pulley was made of some sort of plastic. It appeared the bearing failed, so the inner part of the pulley couldn't turn, and the outer part was driven by the belt, which caused the part between to break. The outer part of the pulley was hanging onto what was left of the inner part, and the constant spinning had wallowed it out until it was just the outer section where the belt rides remaining. It seemed like a miracle the belt stayed on and she and her kids weren't stranded on the side of the road.
Old June 12th, 2024, 01:58 PM

I’ve nearly convinced myself the greater % of Americans’ daily exercise involves one task - getting out of bed in the morning.
And even that is getting to be a task. Speaking of steak, got one on the countertop waiting for me. The last car that I could change a belt on was my '98 Lumina. Was going to change one on the Saturn Aura that I had, and I could only see about 3" of it, with no access from above or below. My guess was they lifted the engine to replace it. While at work, three electricians came down the aisle to work on a press by me. I said to Al, who was one of them, well, three electricians to change one lighbulb, lets see how that goes. he proceeds to tell me about a new hire in training struggling to loosen a bolt. After straining for a few minutes to loosen it, Al says, let me try, and a second later, the bolt is loose. Al then says, what did I tell you a month ago, lefty loosey, righty tighty! I said what!! are you kidding me? he said no. Jeesh, how can ya be that ignorant. We learned that **** as kids working on our bikes. I asked him, how much do you make again? I also said maybe I should give it a try, though I'm color blind, it might be interesting.​​​​​​​
Old June 12th, 2024, 02:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by mattking
I finally settled on a AC system for my 64...and decided on the Old Air Products system.
Matt - I purchased several products from Old Air Products when I had to renovate (rebuild) the AC in my '71 CS convertible. Everything was basically stock except the system was converted before my purchase from R12>R134. I was very pleased with their customer service and the parts they supplied.
Old June 12th, 2024, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
While at work, three electricians came down the aisle to work on a press by me. I said to Al, who was one of them, well, three electricians to change one lighbulb, lets see how that goes. he proceeds to tell me about a new hire in training struggling to loosen a bolt. After straining for a few minutes to loosen it, Al says, let me try, and a second later, the bolt is loose. Al then says, what did I tell you a month ago, lefty loosey, righty tighty! I said what!! are you kidding me? he said no. Jeesh, how can ya be that ignorant.
There was a famous St. Louis radio personality by the name of Jim White who was on AM radio station KMOX for 30-years. His famous saying was, "Ya can't fix stupid!"
Old June 12th, 2024, 02:37 PM
Running On Empty

Friendly critter.
He must have been watching me cleaning the siding on the garage. He/She headed up into a large hole in the side of that tree (Scrub Oak). They're the most docile of all the snakes around here. I'd say he/she is ~5.5' in length.
Old June 12th, 2024, 02:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Al then says, what did I tell you a month ago, lefty loosey, righty tighty!​​​​​​​
Really...
Old June 12th, 2024, 02:50 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I have birds out the ying yang around here - tons of birds of all varieties. I think I've counted at least a dozen Robin eggs laying about in the yard this past week.
Old June 12th, 2024, 02:58 PM

Chris - I have birds out the ying yang around here - tons of birds of all varieties. I think I've counted at least a dozen Robin eggs laying about in the yard this past week.
Norm - Yep, that time of year. I would guess Mr. Rat Snake is eatin good, in the neighborhood! We've had this discussion before, but I love handling those large non-poisoness snakes.
Old June 12th, 2024, 02:59 PM

I had the serpentine belt disintegrate on my truck @ 180K miles. After the tow back to my house it took me one week to change the belt. Quite the labyrinth although I took the opportunity to install a new PS pump, new ALT, new various pulleys, new AC compressor, new AC dryer etc. Removing the radiator fan was the most time consuming. Ugh.

I've been washing the side of the original garage w/ a mix of Simple Green + Bleach. Going to try to get in 18 today.
Norm I have had good luck with Lysol concentrate mixed up in my 2gal weed sprayer

Just don't get it in your eyes...

Old June 12th, 2024, 03:01 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - Yep, that time of year. I would guess Mr. Rat Snake is eatin good, in the neighborhood! We've had this discussion before, but I love handling those large non-poisoness snakes.
Non-venomous you meant to say.
Old June 12th, 2024, 03:29 PM

Speaking of birds, it's quail hatching time here. There are groups of 15-20 ping pong ball sized babies following the roosters and hens around. They move so fast it's hard to get an accurate count of them.
Old June 12th, 2024, 03:32 PM

Non-venomous you meant to say.
Yep!
Old June 12th, 2024, 03:42 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - They sound delicious.
Old June 12th, 2024, 04:01 PM

Yeah, but it would take a lot of them just to make a snack.

Old June 12th, 2024, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

Those are Gambel's Quail, yes?
Old June 12th, 2024, 05:08 PM

Yes, the ones with the funny top knot (same ones on the intro to the Partridge Family show).
Old June 12th, 2024, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Years ago my neighbor lost an idler pulley on her GMC van on the way back from California. It was weird - the belt stayed on what was left of the idler pulley and she was able to make it to her house. The pulley was made of some sort of plastic. It appeared the bearing failed, so the inner part of the pulley couldn't turn, and the outer part was driven by the belt, which caused the part between to break. The outer part of the pulley was hanging onto what was left of the inner part, and the constant spinning had wallowed it out until it was just the outer section where the belt rides remaining. It seemed like a miracle the belt stayed on and she and her kids weren't stranded on the side of the road.
I have noticed a mechanical phenomenon that a lot of things fail on a state change, like you shut it off and now it's broken, or you start it and it tosses the belt. May be why so many folks die in their sleep or in the saddle. We have such old electronics at my plant that they keep spare power supplies for if they bring up a panel and it's not putting out 24V for the PLC or something, you just expect them to die on that power cycle.

Got blindsided today at work. Thought this meeting was about the baloney comment and would be fair and equitable. It was about every single comment I've made in the past year and they gave me a formal written warning. I refused to sign and scolded them harshly. I said I would file an HR complaint on each one of them, and all I needed from them is to whom to send it. They don't understand that I have kept most records and I don't have a problem writing a ten page letter this weekend that will, under legal penalty if they don't, cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars to fully investigate as I am going to dredge stuff up from 12 years ago as it is applicable. I have a clue where they are going. I have two applications in the works for promotions that they are (in their mind) graciously allowing me to keep active, but, I am banned from seeking promotion for a year otherwise. That clue is, I think, if I hit them with Soviet caliber brinksmanship, then, at the end, offer to let them call me before they start the investigation; I may agree to retract the complaint if the written warning goes away and I get one of the promotions. It would need to be an off the record conversation. I wonder if I can out strategize a bunch of women with the engineer noggin.

They really got to me though. I got a little misty for a second in front of my buddy afterwards. Dude gave me a hug. It's hard fighting a whole damn company. I think it's worth the final attempt because the outcome if I don't pull it off is the same as if I just quit, and what else have I got to do for this extra weekend in Huntsville since they moved the trial up other than write the nastiest letter I've ever written? Stupid timing though, I reminded them that a remote install and trial is not the best time to be giving **** raises and written warnings. I don't really like being an *******, but I can be one very well when needed, and now may be the time.