The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2024, 02:03 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Almost 5 on a Monday morning. This time of day should be illegal. Yes I know I volunteered.

Koda I'm sure you have an exit plan, should the company call your bluff. Maybe bluff isn't the right word, because I think you said you'd stay if they gave you what you wanted. My question is, and this is just a question, if you hate the place, and you have a plan, why not just leave anyway? I know it's tough to start over, especially as you approach middle age, but geez, life is too long to put up with shitty people.

Gonna be nice all week. Got more mowing to do, got cars to work on, lots of outdoor stuff. I'll do a little each day and then whoa I've got an extra day off this weekend. Things will start with the Summit cruise in tonight. I haven't been in weeks.

Jamesbo how are things going? Feeling any better? Any idea what caused this croup?

Okay! I've got 9 wheels signed already and the other 4 mechanics have zero. But things are starting to get going, an hour after starting time. Hope everyone has a good start to the week.

Old May 20th, 2024, 03:02 AM
Running On Empty

Hoping I can get into my dentist office this morning to re-cement a porcelain crown which came off one of my implants (molar) Saturday. Supposed to nice here the entire week, as well. Yesterday was modestly cool - lovely weather, actually. Yard maintenance completed, finished caulking last window. Golf tournament shotgun start 9:30am tomorrow.

Jim - Hoping you'll get released this week.
Old May 20th, 2024, 05:34 AM

Good morning guys,

Mike - Hope you have a nice time at Summit. Are you driving one of your Classic Cars? I still would like to see more pics of your Chrysler some day, it's a very cool car that you don't see often.

Norm - I sure hope you can get in to the dentist. Luckily you didn't swallow it or break it when it came off. I've had the same thing happen before.

Off to get the Yamaha inspected at 0900. It's an easy 10-minute ride away.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old May 20th, 2024, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Koda I'm sure you have an exit plan, should the company call your bluff. Maybe bluff isn't the right word, because I think you said you'd stay if they gave you what you wanted. My question is, and this is just a question, if you hate the place, and you have a plan, why not just leave anyway? I know it's tough to start over, especially as you approach middle age, but geez, life is too long to put up with shitty people.
Time investment and familiarity, mostly. If they fixed what I had wrong, I'd stay. I said I'd do 25 years. I like to keep my word, even if others don't.

Sent the H/OCA newsletter off to print. Forgot some photo credits, so I had to sent a revised copy.
Old May 20th, 2024, 05:46 AM
Running On Empty

Porcelain crown has been re-cemented.
Old May 20th, 2024, 05:58 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Next on the horizon is my aunt's pie crust, with which I can do pies and cobblers.
I think nearly all pie crusts consist of water, butter, flour + sugar (to taste). I love homemade pie crusts even more so when used to make a cobbler. I'll most likely have cobbler on my mind for some time now. A warm cobbler fresh out of the oven w/ vanilla ice cream. Oh my...oh my.
Old May 20th, 2024, 06:02 AM

Says here,

5 cups flour, 2 cups crisco, chop till (something), add salt, sugar (dash)
beat 1 egg, add enough ice cold water and 1 tsp vinegar to make 1 cup liquid, mix all that to the above.
Old May 20th, 2024, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Porcelain crown has been re-cemented.
That's great Norm! 👍
Old May 20th, 2024, 06:12 AM
Running On Empty

Says here,

5 cups flour, 2 cups crisco, chop till (something), add salt, sugar (dash)
beat 1 egg, add enough ice cold water and 1 tsp vinegar to make 1 cup liquid, mix all that to the above.
Sounds like a good recipe. The vinegar is a nice addition. HINT: The ice cold water is key. I'll measure out the amount of water needed in a small S.S. bowl and set the smaller S.S. bowl of water into a larger S.S. bowl filled w/ ice cubes + water to get the water super cold.
Old May 20th, 2024, 06:12 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
That's great Norm! 👍
Oh yeah.
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:45 PM

Oh Man... My Grandma used to make peach cobbler- all home made. She was bummed out because the crust got soggy with all the peachy goodness.... YUM... I love crust that is soggy!!
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Oh Man... My Grandma used to make peach cobbler- all home made. She was bummed out because the crust got soggy with all the peachy goodness.... YUM... I love crust that is soggy!!
I'm sure your Grandma was like mine on my Mom's side, the ultimate cook and baker. My grandparents on Mom's side had every kind of of common fruit on what I called their mini-farm. They had apples, pears, peaches, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, gooseberries, and Concord grapes. She made jams, jellies, cobblers and pies out of them all, and all were the best I've ever had. Her blackberry cobbler was my favorite.
Old May 20th, 2024, 03:08 PM
Running On Empty

My Mom's sister Gen (short for Genevieve) could/would be up @ 5am w/ a houseful (10+) of relatives and have fresh cinnamon rolls for everyone made, baked and out of the oven in a flash. I watched her, my Mom and their other sister (Lucy) gut a freshly killed turkey, put the bird into an old wringer washing machine, rotate a dozen pots of boiling water on the stove, fill the wringer washing machine w/ scalding hot water, soak the bird then pluck feathers for an hour (that's where us kids who were watching came in handy - putting our busy little fingers to work plucking feathers).
Old May 20th, 2024, 03:10 PM

We used to pick blackberries that grew wild along the bayou behind the neighborhood and the fence rows of the cow pasture at the end of the neighborhood. Mom would make blackberry cobbler for us, assuming we brought home enough berries. Typically we'd eat them all before making it back home, so no cobbler. But those times when we had enough self-restraint, or the berry crop was abundant, we had yummy blackberry cobbler.

Almost 5 on a Monday morning. This time of day should be illegal.
I agree with ya' Mike. The girl dog gets up with the sun, and this time of year it's daylight at that time. It's nice during the winter when she doesn't wake up until nearly 7. Ah, I miss winter already.
Old May 20th, 2024, 03:11 PM
Running On Empty

I am soooooooooooooooo.....over renovating a (x2) twin set casing of double-hung windows and storm windows. OVER IT.
Old May 20th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

I had blackberry cobbler only once I believe - it was delicious. And, I love blackberries.
Old May 20th, 2024, 03:19 PM
Running On Empty

You know I worked for the NPS on the BNR in the Ozark Mountains (1981-1984). I found a wild patch of Missouri Gooseberry along a roadside & decided to make a pie. It was absolutely delicious. What a treat.
Old May 20th, 2024, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You know I worked for the NPS on the BNR in the Ozark Mountains (1981-1984). I found a wild patch of Missouri Gooseberry along a roadside & decided to make a pie. It was absolutely delicious. What a treat.
The gooseberries at my Grandma's place looked like this pic which is from a U-pick farm in Michigan.

Old May 20th, 2024, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

That's them. Found 'em for free on the roadside - yeah, I had to pick 'em.

The gooseberries at my Grandma's place looked like this pic which is from a U-pick farm in Michigan.
Old May 21st, 2024, 02:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Boy I don't know what's wrong with me, I woke up at ten to 2 and got up. Then everything was a blur and I got to work right at 4. Hm. Maybe I wasn't awake. Got 9 wheels signed off, and that's probably going to be my overtime contribution.

Remember I was asking about blackberries awhile ago? Well I must have killed them some how because I haven't seen them in a long time. Lots of other stuff has grown up, maybe they are just hiding.

My neighbor has something that looks like those gooseberries growing on a trellis and they hang over the fence and make a mess of my yard. These vines are now on their third owners and I've never seen anyone do anything with them. I don't remember anyone calling them gooseberries, though. I used to go pick them up and throw them back over the fence, because I was afraid the dog(s) would eat them and get sick. But none of them ever paid them any mind so I quit doing that.

Summit was okay last night, nothing to write home about. Three Oldsmobiles, a 73 Cutlass, 77 Cutlass, 66 Delmont convertible that was all blacked out. Looked like **** but hey the people in it were proud. It was Camaro/Firebird night so they were out in droves. I don't think I was there 30 minutes.

Okay looks like I got a couple more cards. I'll be the star player for overtime this morning. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old May 21st, 2024, 05:45 AM

Good morning everyone.

Okay looks like I got a couple more cards. I'll be the star player for overtime this morning. Hope everyone has a good day.
Mike - Glad you're off to a good start this morning!
Old May 21st, 2024, 10:52 AM

Hi guys,

Went to Sam's today for the 1st time in forever. I immediately remembered why I didn't miss it. At least we killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Met a furniture buyer there and my wife sold 2 footstools she had refinished.

Since it had been so long since we've been there, there was alot of impulse buying on both our parts. I got 3 big jars of Chocolate Covered Almonds because Sam's won't ship them in the summer. We'll be eating good in the neighborhood tonight. Two full racks of rotisserie grilled Baby Back Ribs, and some Cream Cheese Iced Cinnamon Rolls for dessert.

Old May 21st, 2024, 02:58 PM

May be in for a hot summer. Record high of 93° here today. It felt every bit of it.

Baby Back Ribs, bread and real butter, macaroni salad, and Rolling Rock. Yum, I got stuffed!

Old May 21st, 2024, 04:08 PM

93° here today.
I'm guessing you know my response.
Old May 21st, 2024, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I'm guessing you know my response.
Sho nuff, know I ain't getting any sympathy from out there in Hell's Kitchen!
Old May 21st, 2024, 05:21 PM

Sho nuff, know I ain't getting any sympathy from out there in Hell's Kitchen!
You calling on the Shogun of Harlem?
Old May 21st, 2024, 05:31 PM
Always room for one more

It was no top down for me this afternoon. Took the SRX to work and then changed the oil when I got home. Also put on new wiper blades. And got a load of laundry done. I'd say after work was as busy as work. I ended up with 55 wheels being signed today.

Was hot here, but not stifling. The thing in the car said 87 when I left work, with bright sunshine. Perfect day.

Tomorrow is the official shindig for AMT Day. We'll have lunch, there should be some vendors set up selling tools and whatnot, and we'll pick up our gift, which is a lawn chair in its own carrying bag. Eh, something different.

Okay bed time. Two o'clock comes early. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old May 21st, 2024, 05:45 PM

You calling on the Shogun of Harlem?
Now that was really a Classic!
Old May 21st, 2024, 06:15 PM

I was very saddened to read about the passing of legendary Oakland Raiders Hall of Fame Center, Jim Otto. The bad boys of the old AFL were my favorite team during the 60's and early 70's. Jim Otto was appropriately and affectionately nicknamed "Mr Raider" and wore the infamous #00 jersey.

He played with the Raiders from the AFL's initial season of 1960 through the 1970 AFL-NFL merger until his retirement following the 1974 season. Otto started 210 straight regular-season games, 223 if you count the playoffs, and was a Pro Bowler 12 times, and a first-team All-Pro selection 10 times. An offensive Center never missing a game in 223 straight games, just unbelievable! You would not get many arguments that he was the best Center to ever play the game, certainly of his generation, and undoubtedly the toughest. It is sad to see your childhood heroes pass.

Old May 22nd, 2024, 08:29 AM

Tomorrow is the official shindig for AMT Day. We'll have lunch, there should be some vendors set up selling tools and whatnot, and we'll pick up our gift, which is a lawn chair in its own carrying bag. Eh, something different.
Mike - What is AMT? I'd assume Aeronautical Mechanic something, but you know what happens when you assume!
Old May 22nd, 2024, 09:00 AM
Always room for one more

AMT= Aviation Maintenance Technician. Years ago there was a big push for the mechanics to get a big raise, because mechanics in other parts of the world were considered engineers, and were paid a lot more because of it. So one year instead of getting a raise, the powers that be changed our name from mechanic to technician. They said it would make us more respected. Well, all these years later I've never heard of any other mechanic called a technician. Because it makes us sound like we work for a dentist.

So anyway, I just got back from lunch and perusing the vendors. I didn't buy anything, but saw a couple people I know and hadn't seen in awhile. Our next big event will be at the end of summer, if we have a busy and profitable summer.

Chris did you know that fellow? Mom knew Ernie Banks. She had no idea who he was and that tickled him. He ate at a restaurant she worked at and he would always go out of his way to talk with her.

Another beautiful day. Gonna mow when I get home. I think I need a nap now, we got a big barbeque sandwich and mac and cheese. Yum.

Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:25 AM

AMT= Aviation Maintenance Technician.

Chris did you know that fellow? Mom knew Ernie Banks. She had no idea who he was and that tickled him. He ate at a restaurant she worked at and he would always go out of his way to talk with her.
Thanks Mike, now I know.

No, I didn't know Jim Otto. Like I mentioned previously, his team, the Oakland Raiders were my favorite team growing up and I knew about all the players from the 60's and 70's very well. Norm has a close friend, Dave Casper, that played for the Oakland Raiders. He showed a pic of the two of them once.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 22nd, 2024 at 01:05 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

Mom knew Ernie Banks. She had no idea who he was and that tickled him. He ate at a restaurant she worked at and he would always go out of his way to talk with her.
Darn if you didn't like Ernie Banks you had serious mental issues - what a great person he was. I saw Ernie play many times growing up. I had (lost it somewhere) a bat signed by Ernie - got it on one of those Chicago Cubs Wrigley Field "Bat Days". I still have my official MLB baseball signed by Billy Williams though & I think that's cool. Ah, the memories. The history of sports in the U.S.A. is such B.S. to me. Nationally sanctioned leagues where the black folks played in their own Negro Leagues - such a travesty to humankind. OK, I'm done.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 05:54 PM

My buddy from Wisconsin, (formerly from here), made it back to town, and brought something to share. Gave me a couple of bottles, and my buddy and his wife a couple more. Can't wait to sample it. 18% by volume he claims. https://photos.app.goo.gl/dyAA7UbLRWnDVkFq7
Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
My buddy from Wisconsin, (formerly from here), made it back to town, and brought something to share. Gave me a couple of bottles, and my buddy and his wife a couple more. Can't wait to sample it. 18% by volume he claims. https://photos.app.goo.gl/dyAA7UbLRWnDVkFq7
Mead, a Viking staple, would love to sample it. Let us know how it is?
Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:13 PM

Gabe played hockey tonight. His team lost 3-0. He had at least 3 nice shots on goal, but the goalie made nice saves on each. Can't win em all. That's it for the summer practice league. There will be tryouts in August and the official league play will start back up in September. I'm gonna see if he'll let Grandpa train him some over the summer to keep him fit, I'll report back on that later.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:15 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - That looks tasty. I have a couple friends who reside in Shorewood, WI - nice area.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:28 PM
Running On Empty

Charles (Charlie) Taylor
Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:29 PM

I was very saddened to read about the passing of legendary Oakland Raiders Hall of Fame Center, Jim Otto. It is sad to see your childhood heroes pass.
The way I look at it Chris is this. His spirit will live on with you for ever, also the ones you inspire to be the best a person they can be. The gift that keeps on giving.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:30 PM

Chris I will, Burp! Norm, I had mentioned him before, ( Biochemistry, microbiology). Speaking of people in baseball, my mom's cousin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stubby_Overmire