The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2024, 07:19 PM

Where are the aforementioned upgraded babes?
Old January 16th, 2024, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Where are the aforementioned upgraded babes?
The blond chick in this video is hotter than his ex.
Old January 17th, 2024, 04:46 AM

Norm - Since we were recently discussing the New Madrid fault zone, I found it very interesting to see the USGS has very recently released an updated National Seismic Hazard Model that is discussed in this article:
https://phys.org/news/2024-01-earthquakes.html

Old January 17th, 2024, 06:08 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
USGS has very recently released an updated National Seismic Hazard Model that is discussed in this article:
Chris - Thanks for sharing. IMHO, I didn't find much of the information "Earth shattering".

Interestingly, last night I was, more or less, reviewing/researching (ancient) notions/ideas of historical information (data) stored in my orb via the internet. I've held a close interest in Paleo Geomagnetic modeling since my first exposure in graduate school. One of the instructors wrote his PhD dissertation on geomagnetic pole reversals. He plotted/mapped the location of Uranus against geomagnetic pole reversals from seafloor magnetometer maps. I then circled about to the WMM, WGS & NGA. It's mind-boggling to consider the amount of information we've obtained in the past 100 years - remarkable.

Old January 17th, 2024, 06:33 AM
Running On Empty

It drives me insane this entire storm naming nomenclature. Absolute collusion between insurance companies & NWS. Pathetic.
Old January 17th, 2024, 06:46 AM

Chris, I finally got the JWO yesterday. Great article and well written. That monthly has gotten really better in the last 2-3 years. Really cold here now about 6 above this morning. Salt doesn't work on roads so still most are covered. Major highways are clear.
Old January 17th, 2024, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Thanks for sharing. IMHO, I didn't find much of the information "Earth shattering".
. . .
I then circled about to the WMM, WGS & NGA. It's mind-boggling to consider the amount of information we've obtained in the past 100 years - remarkable.
I agree the article was not earth shattering. An in-depth discussion of the differences between previous model vs. the new one would have been more interesting.

The topic of magnetic pole reversals thru time is certainly an interesting topic. Other than knowing it happened, I can honestly say I'm not very up on the topic. In my work at NGA, I certainly had a need to be much more involved with the development and use of earth gravitational models. When we were processing the 3D earth surface model data from the Space Shuttle mission, the community was just transitioning from WGS-84 to the Earth Gravitational Model 1996 (EGM-96) for establishing the geoidal mean sea level surface worldwide. This was critical as that surface was the base upon which all of the elevation data would be calculated from and superimposed on. That Shuttle Radar Topopgraphy Mission (SRTM / STS-99) dataset was the first major mapping data to use the EGM-96 model as it's baseline.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Salt doesn't work on roads so still most are covered.
I like what they did in Holland, MI (in the 1980s?) when they installed the nation's largest radiant heat system to melt snow at the rate of 1"/hr from heated water discharge from their electric station.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, I finally got the JWO yesterday. Great article and well written. That monthly has gotten really better in the last 2-3 years. Really cold here now about 6 above this morning. Salt doesn't work on roads so still most are covered. Major highways are clear.
Thanks Greg, much appreciated! The editor of JWO, Shannon Olson, actually lives here in St. Louis and she was a real joy to work with.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:12 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well Snow Mizer was at his best this morning. Was 17* at the aerodrome this morning when I left for work. I'm no weather guru, but that must be too cold to frost up the windows because the pickup was clear as can be. It sure creaked and groaned until it warmed up.

The lead is not here today nor will he be tomorrow. If I were a betting man I'd say he won't be here Friday, either. The leads are at some meeting today and of course things have slowed down to a crawl. I don't care.

For as far back as I can remember, when I lived up home the earthquake people were spewing gloom and doom, there was going to be the big one by 2000 that would run up from the New Madrid fault all the way and devastate Chicago. Guess what never happened. It was funny to listen to the news, one station the person would say New Madrid, like Spain, and another station would say New Maaadrid, like it was angry.

No plans for this afternoon. If it gets above freezing I might try to do something outside. Actually I should go out if it is below freezing, the mud will be frozen and not messy.

Well have a good day everyone.

Old January 17th, 2024, 07:14 AM

Thanks Greg, much appreciated! The editor of JWO, Shannon Olson, actually lives here in St. Louis and she was a real joy to work with.
I need to meet that lady sometime. Apparently, she edits a few publications. I think she uses Microsoft Publisher. I use Adobe Acrobat for the H/OCA's mag. I just got my first (of three) proofreading results back for Feb's issue. There's a little bit of politics involved; I'm the editor, but she outranks me, so, if I disagree, I have to be diplomatic.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:15 AM

I like what they did in Holland, MI (in the 1980s?) when they installed the nation's largest radiant heat system to melt snow at the rate of 1"/hr from heated water discharge from their electric station.
Norm, you are such a plethora of knowledge, that's very interesting and I had never heard of that.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I need to meet that lady sometime. Apparently, she edits a few publications. I think she uses Microsoft Publisher. I use Adobe Acrobat for the H/OCA's mag. I just got my first (of three) proofreading results back for Feb's issue. There's a little bit of politics involved; I'm the editor, but she outranks me, so, if I disagree, I have to be diplomatic.
John - I'm thinking the JWO is probably done in Adobe Acrobat too because the entire magazine or individual pages can be downloaded from the OCA member site as .pdf files.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:23 AM
Running On Empty

I need to meet that lady sometime. Apparently, she edits a few publications. I think she uses Microsoft Publisher. I use Adobe Acrobat for the H/OCA's mag.
I've used Publisher for most projects (I still own a fully licensed copy of Publisher & SharePoint). I've used Adobe in the past. I like them both. You'll never see a MS employee w/ Adobe loaded onto the PC or laptop. That feud has been & continues to be never-ending. Most might recall the days when you saw the free versions of Adobe integrated into MS. Those two companies have put miles & miles between them since their early feuding days. Integration between Publisher & Adobe is like night & day, today.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:27 AM

John - I'm thinking the JWO is probably done in Adobe Acrobat too because the entire magazine or individual pages can be downloaded from the OCA member site as .pdf files.
I've used Publisher for most projects (I still own a fully licensed copy of Publisher & SharePoint). I've used Adobe in the past. I like them both. You'll never see a MS employee w/ Adobe loaded onto the PC or laptop. That feud has been & continues to be never-ending. Most might recall the days when you saw the free versions of Adobe integrated into MS. Those two companies have put miles & miles between them since their early feuding days. Integration between Publisher & Adobe is like night & day, today.
Chris, I think Judy Badgley told me she uses Publisher. I know MS and Adobe products can export crosswise, like Adobe can save it as a word doc and MS can save it as pdf. I DO like downloading JWO. Since the H/OCA is such a small club, we keep it to paper distribution partially to drive membership.

Norm, my two issues are I like Word's spellchecker better, and, any time I want to do font beyond basic, I have to make it in Word, save it as a pdf, and Acrobat will treat it as a picture, so any editing of said font goes back to Word. Good for titles, not so much for article text. So, they don't integrate well, as you say.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:32 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, you are such a plethora of knowledge, that's very interesting and I had never heard of that.
Human's (in particular U.S.A. industries) are such ***-hats honestly when it comes to the basics of science. With our extreme prowess & knowledge of science, we create technology which is so pathetically inefficient. Despite some low numbers purported by supposed "know-it-all" types, we humans waste >50% (probably closer to 75%) of all thermodynamic transactions as heat. Hey, what does it matter, right? Sometimes the stupidity is beyond comprehension.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:38 AM

Agree 100%.
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:42 AM

Norm - Since we were recently discussing the New Madrid fault zone, I found it very interesting to see the USGS has very recently released an updated National Seismic Hazard Model that is discussed in this article:
https://phys.org/news/2024-01-earthquakes.html
It's odd to me that Oregon has a lower chance than Washington and California. I was under the assumption that the California fault lines extended north up the coast. I know that in Washington there was a separate zone around the Juan da Fuca plate, that is thought to be long overdue.

On another note I ordered some 15" steel wheels for my 64. I was having trouble finding aftermarket wheels that I liked, and were the right off set and bolt patterns. They are on back order until March they said, So I am going to challenge myself to get the motor running, brakes working, clutch working, and cooling system working before the wheels ship. Of course it is cold as a well diggers ***, and I am trying to get body work done on the truck, go swimming twice a week and keep up the normal chores..

hope are all warm and dry
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:56 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, my two issues are I like Word's spellchecker better, and, any time I want to do font beyond basic, I have to make it in Word, save it as a pdf, and Acrobat will treat it as a picture, so any editing of said font goes back to Word. Good for titles, not so much for article text. So, they don't integrate well, as you say.
John - I really give kudos to Adobe for their various technologies in s/w development. Adobe was initially conceived as an illustrator s/w program for graphics design, images, illustrations, print copy, movies, film, etc - basically employing language able to manipulate pixel differentiation/formatting; obviously, nearly 360° out from anything closely resembling text formatting. I might be wrong about this but I think it was Adobe who first characterized the notion of "font" formats (not sure). The Portable Document File (.pdf) began as a "graphics" file entirely separating itself from any "text" file coding & formatting. I don't know how much things have changed on coding for Adobe, but much of the incompatibility resided with this longstanding war involved executables (contained w/in files) i.e. JavaScript, etc. Yet, the true beginnings of the war between Adobe & MS began w/ the development of PostScript (PS) language - something which MS essentially had to learn from the ground up as MS tried to maintain market share with Internet Explorer. Adobe was written to seamlessly integrate into Netscape. MS hated Netscape. Both companies saw the future of Internet "Browsers" - MS always attempting to muscle their way about, I have to admire Adobe for remaining true to their entitlements and hard research and development.
Old January 17th, 2024, 08:04 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by mattking
It's odd to me that Oregon has a lower chance than Washington and California. I was under the assumption that the California fault lines extended north up the coast. I know that in Washington there was a separate zone around the Juan da Fuca plate, that is thought to be long overdue.
The Juan da Fuca plate lies in a "zone" of divergence. It isn't part of the San Andreas. It's a zone of differentiation between the convergence (divergence) of the North American plate and the Pacific plate. It's a divergent plate boundary comprised of two separate "ridges". I think the Northern ridge is the Cascadia ridge?

Last edited by Vintage Chief; January 17th, 2024 at 08:10 AM.
Old January 17th, 2024, 08:10 AM
Running On Empty

Ha. Found it.

Unlike the Cascadia Subduction Zone, where plates are sliding under one another, the San Andreas Fault is known as a transform fault, the tectonic plates are moving laterally, sliding past each other.
So, that line of demarcation between where the plates are being subducted (Northern ridge boundary) and where the plates are instead not being subducted but instead are slipping (transform fault) (San Andreas) is referred to as the Juan da Fuca plate. When studying subduction/orogeny in geology we basically called it Juan's Fucked Up Plate.
Old January 17th, 2024, 08:41 AM

So eventually (geologic time frame) the Jaun de Fuca plate will completely go underneath the other plates? That was always my layman's understanding of it. The PNW and specifically The olympic peninsula is my favorite place I have been so far. I've gone twice and have to force myself to plan trips to other places in the US. The nantahala gorge and Bryson City NC are a close second. Several separate branches of my tree come from NC and east Tennessee, while it feels like home, it reminds me of the Ozarks where I spent a lot of time camping as a kid so its not "new" feeling to me.
Old January 17th, 2024, 09:00 AM
Running On Empty

So eventually (geologic time frame) the Jaun de Fuca plate will completely go underneath the other plates? That was always my layman's understanding of it. The PNW and specifically The olympic peninsula is my favorite place I have been so far. I've gone twice and have to force myself to plan trips to other places in the US. The nantahala gorge and Bryson City NC are a close second. Several separate branches of my tree come from NC and east Tennessee, while it feels like home, it reminds me of the Ozarks where I spent a lot of time camping as a kid so its not "new" feeling to me.
Anyone's guess regarding Juan de Fuca, I suspect. I've spent considerable time in your referenced locations. I resided in the Ozark Mtns. of Arkansas for four years (Research Biologist, NPS, Buffalo National River, 1981-1984). I've canoed the Buffalo National River no less than ~25 times from top (Boxley Creek) to bottom confluence w/ the White River (Buffalo City, Mountain Home). I've rafted the Nantahala River Gorge & ridden all the back roads of the Appalachians through the Smoky Mountains. For about five years 3-4 of us road the Smoky Mountains roads (five days each year in fall) & stayed in Bryson City at the Fryemont Inn.

Interesting side-note: The geological topology & age of both the Ozark Plateau (Mountains) and the Appalachian Mountains share the same orogeny, share the same flora/fauna and both were the first two mountain ranges to appear above water after the last great flood.
Old January 17th, 2024, 09:19 AM
Running On Empty

Should you have an interest, the orogeny (mountain building) event which formed the Appalachians is called the Appalachian-Ouachita Orogeny (the Ouachita Mountains are just South of the Ozark Mtn. Plateau in Arkansas). That event was millions of year ago, but the extent of that Appalachian-Ouachita Orogeny can be witnessed even to this day in the British Isles as the Northern most extension of the Appalachian Mountains is the Caledonia Mountains of the British Isles; then, came the separation of the two continents separating British Isles from North America. Tough using politically named boundaries for geologic events.
Old January 17th, 2024, 09:37 AM

Anyone's guess regarding Juan de Fuca, I suspect. I've spent considerable time in your referenced locations. I resided in the Ozark Mtns. of Arkansas for four years (Research Biologist, NPS, Buffalo National River, 1981-1984). I've canoed the Buffalo National River no less than ~25 times from top (Boxley Creek) to bottom confluence w/ the White River (Buffalo City, Mountain Home). I've rafted the Nantahala River Gorge & ridden all the back roads of the Appalachians through the Smoky Mountains. For about five years 3-4 of us road the Smoky Mountains roads (five days each year in fall) & stayed in Bryson City at the Fryemont Inn.

Interesting side-note: The geological topology & age of both the Ozark Plateau (Mountains) and the Appalachian Mountains share the same orogeny, share the same flora/fauna and both were the first two mountain ranges to appear above water after the last great flood.
The last time we were in Bryson we stayed in a converted old bank building. I have a friend who spends every summer there as a river guide, that's how we got turned on to the area.
We used to do the Eleven point, spring and current rivers. Ive never been on the Buffalo

Allegedly one of my ancestors was run out of, or left?, Kingsport tn, for being married to four sisters. They wound up in a place called Oil Trough Arkansas--- it is on the white river. The best we can tell, he was probably married to them, just not all at the same time... well probably
Old January 17th, 2024, 09:41 AM

Should you have an interest, the orogeny (mountain building) event which formed the Appalachians is called the Appalachian-Ouachita Orogeny (the Ouachita Mountains are just South of the Ozark Mtn. Plateau in Arkansas). That event was millions of year ago, but the extent of that Appalachian-Ouachita Orogeny can be witnessed even to this day in the British Isles as the Northern most extension of the Appalachian Mountains is the Caledonia Mountains of the British Isles; then, came the separation of the two continents separating British Isles from North America. Tough using politically named boundaries for geologic events.
So when the Scots who immigrated to the Appalachian region said they felt like they were home, they kinda were.
Old January 17th, 2024, 09:43 AM
Running On Empty

So when the Scots who immigrated to the Appalachian region said they felt like they were home, they kinda were.

Old January 17th, 2024, 10:03 AM

There are a lot of similarities with the Scots and the Irish and Appalachian-Americans in terms of insular communities, complete distrust of outsiders, and a tiered hierarchy of loyalties based on how closely you are related to someone. Heavy drinking and poverty as well.
Old January 17th, 2024, 10:11 AM
Running On Empty

There are a lot of similarities with the Scots and the Irish and Appalachian-Americans in terms of insular communities, complete distrust of outsiders, and a tiered hierarchy of loyalties based on how closely you are related to someone. Heavy drinking and poverty as well.
John - I considerate it a disservice if you don't include the Welch.
Old January 17th, 2024, 02:05 PM

John - I considerate it a disservice if you don't include the Welch.
I wouldn't want to welsh on the Welsh.
Old January 17th, 2024, 02:19 PM

norm who regrooves copper PING irons?
Old January 17th, 2024, 02:31 PM
Running On Empty

I wouldn't want to welsh on the Welsh.
That was actually good. Honestly, I spelled a native of Wales incorrectly, didn't I? It should be Welsh, I believe. Although, I can see you wouldn't want to welch on the Welsh, perhaps? Funny terms, really.
Old January 17th, 2024, 02:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
norm who regrooves copper PING irons?
Jim - Say what? Honestly, I've only "seen" a set once, I believe. They're Beryllium Copper, yeah? I have no clue, Jim. Are they any good those irons? You have a set?
Old January 17th, 2024, 03:13 PM

Yes I have a set and love the feel. But I don't think ping would touch copper irons . I've been told the tools available on line are junk
Old January 17th, 2024, 03:32 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Yes I have a set and love the feel. But I don't think ping would touch copper irons . I've been told the tools available on line are junk
I have this tool. Works fine for me. I'd me mindful of (question) some offering advice especially if they're someone who can't change their own grips since it's doubtful they know what they're doing if they can't change their own grips.

Old January 17th, 2024, 05:32 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I have a club shaft rubber vice clamp I use when changing grips. I use it when sharpening grooves, also - keeps the head still.

Amazon Amazon
Old January 17th, 2024, 05:57 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry I missed all the geology discussion, certainly something in my wheelhouse. Nothing to add though, you guys did a great job of pointing out the major mechanics of plate tectonics along the west coast.

My day was most enjoyable . . . Not! As part of the the home remodeling project, my wife is getting new Living Room furniture. Monday evening my wife put what was our living room set (couch, love seat, recliner) up for sale. It sold yesterday morning and was gone by the afternoon. We were left with 2 adults and two 50lb Bulldogs all trying to sit on a 6ft long futon/couch. So today we had to go furniture shopping. Five stores and 7-hours later we were headed back to the 2nd store we had visited to order a U-shaped, dual chaise, sectional, with a large central storage ottoman (pic, without ottoman). I told her to get whatever she wanted, but in truth I like it too, its very comfortable, and the chaise areas should be great for snoozing. Not sure it is worth the pain endured to get it, but happy wife, happy life, but man I really, really, hate shopping for crap like that! Supposed to be here Friday.

Hope ya'll had a great day!

Old January 17th, 2024, 06:41 PM

Chris, I historically haven’t had to go furniture shopping. I just come home and there’s new furniture. Lucky me???
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Chris, I historically haven’t had to go furniture shopping. I just come home and there’s new furniture. Lucky me???
I think??? You should count your lucky stars. I also think I should probably be grateful my wife really wants me come with her and give her my honest opinion, which I always do. I always caveat that by saying in the end all that I really want is for her to be satisfied with whatever the purchase is. That usually keeps me and my honest opinions out of the doghouse. The part that kills me is spending all that time looking at stuff I don't give a rat's *** about. But in the end if she's happy it does make for smoother sailing!
Old January 17th, 2024, 07:18 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - you’re a lucky MF.
Chris - I’m exhausted just thinking about your day.