The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2021, 03:28 AM

Chris I had a 67 442 when I was in San Diego in the Navy. That was 1976, so it was about a 10 year old car. Mine was a switch pitch Turbo 400. It had a dent in the left quarter between the door and rear wheel. Thus I got it cheap for $500. from a used car dealer. It was funny most the guys I hung out with (sailors) didn't know what a 442 was. They asked what kind of car did you buy? I said 442, they said not what size engine, I asked what kind of car.... So I asked them if they knew what a GTO was - of course they did. Then I said it is sort of a Oldsmobile version of a GTO. As often said with guys my age "sure wish I had kept that one". It was silver with a black bucket interior.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 04:01 AM

The 1st 8 track I can remember was in my mom's deuce and a quarter. I thought it was very cool.

Mike, Ignore this story cause you read it a thousand times. I got her Deuce and a quarter crossed up one rainy day and plowed backwards through a lawn some guy did with manicure clippers. It looked like a D 9 had gone through it. I spend spring break laying sod in his lawn. Dad was not happy
Old February 2nd, 2021, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Same here, it was the factory under dash 8-track in the 1970 Cutlass Supreme that I inherited from my Dad. The 8-track had a couple of issues, such as switching tracks when the car hit a bump in the road. I tolerated that for the time it took me to save up for a new Sanyo AM/FM/cassette unit, then that 8 track went into the trash. I can still remember the loud "thump" it made when it hit the bottom of the metal trash can, and thinking how much faster the car should be without that anchor dragging it down.
Kenneth - You're right about the weight of those early 8 tracks. The speakers I put in the rear package tray of the old LeSabre were just as heavy. I found one of those 1970's very large cabinet style phonograph/radio units that wasn't working at a yard sale for $5. I bought it just for the 14-inch woofers and pitched the rest. The magnets on those things weighed a ton, but they'd sure blast out the sound!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris I had a 67 442 when I was in San Diego in the Navy. That was 1976, so it was about a 10 year old car. Mine was a switch pitch Turbo 400. It had a dent in the left quarter between the door and rear wheel. Thus I got it cheap for $500. from a used car dealer. It was funny most the guys I hung out with (sailors) didn't know what a 442 was. They asked what kind of car did you buy? I said 442, they said not what size engine, I asked what kind of car.... So I asked them if they knew what a GTO was - of course they did. Then I said it is sort of a Oldsmobile version of a GTO. As often said with guys my age "sure wish I had kept that one". It was silver with a black bucket interior.
Greg - Well, that's 3 of us now on this thread that have owned a 67 442. Mine has the switch pitch TH400 too, shifter on the column, which was standard unless you ordered the center console shift. When my Dad was looking for a new car in 66-67 he brought home the multi-page, full color, Oldsmobile sales brochure to show my Mom. He was looking at the Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe with buckets and center console shift (2 speed Jetaway). My brother and I were begging him to get the 442 option, but I'm sure my Mom put the nix on that. I wanted one of those 442's from the 1st time I saw one in that 67 brochure.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
The 1st 8 track I can remember was in my mom's deuce and a quarter. I thought it was very cool.

Mike, Ignore this story cause you read it a thousand times. I got her Deuce and a quarter crossed up one rainy day and plowed backwards through a lawn some guy did with manicure clippers. It looked like a D 9 had gone through it. I spend spring break laying sod in his lawn. Dad was not happy
James - At least you didn't hit the person's house, that tank might have taken out half their home! Is that a pic of your Mom's old Electra and do you still own it? Those big old Buicks sure drove nice!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 06:40 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
James - At least you didn't hit the person's house, that tank might have taken out half their home! Is that a pic of your Mom's old Electra and do you still own it? Those big old Buicks sure drove nice!

No, She had a series of Electras and a few Limiteds. They really were a great driving car and much more roomy than my Austin Healey 3000 when you went to the drive in
Old February 2nd, 2021, 06:44 AM

No, She had a series of Electras . They really were a great driving car and much more roomy than my Austin Healey 3000 when you went to the drive in
What nostalgia, the days of Drive-Ins and big cars, with big bench seats!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:00 AM

Norm, I had to replace the clutch in my BRG 3000 Drop top, take out seats, remove carpet, remove tunnel and pull transmission out and up from the inside PITA
Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:02 AM

I just don't know what to say about this.

Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I just don't know what to say about this.

I do, send some this way
Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:10 AM

NOT to mention on my Squeely Healey the distributor was down so low every time you went thru a puddle ya had to get out pop the top and dry out

Lucas truly was the prince of darkness

Beautiful cars but hot as a 2 dollar pistol in the summer

Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
That's when Dad took me to the used car lot and didn't ask me which car I liked, he insisted I was going to buy this 1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 (this was in 1969, my junior year of high school) for $1695.00

He cosigned my first loan and the rest was history. My monthly insurance payment was more than my monthly car payment, but I had my very own automobile.
Norm - Great story, and what a great 1st car to own, even if I am very biased. My Dad was a PE teacher and highschool coach, Mom was an RN who worked in the local hospital, doctors offices, and finally as the head day shift nurse in the dispensary at Kelloggs. Mom didn't work until us kids were in school. My Dad was obviously into sports, so he was hoping his 2 boys would be too. I was playing football, basketball, and baseball throughout the school year so I had no time for a job, except in the summers when I worked odd jobs and eventually for a landscaping company after I turned 16. I never earned enough to be able to own my own car until after I was out of college, but I was able to buy a couple of my early motorcycles. I tried to save as much money over the summers as I could so I would have gas money and money for dates, etc. when the school year started. My parents were cool about letting me borrow their cars when I wanted to, but I always felt a little guilty. I really did try to drive their cars carefully because I knew they couldn't afford to replace them if I totalled one out being stupid.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:30 AM

Some of the best deals I've ever made were the ones that didn't happen
Old February 2nd, 2021, 09:15 AM

vanity finally done

Good morning Gents,
Late start this morning, finally finished the vanity for my oldest daughter, it was my mothers, she bought it at a second hand store years ago
she of course painted it and added new lace to the wings that folded out from under the deck ( you would put the stool under the table then close the wings to hide the stool behind the lace ) when my daughter was very young she loved it when she would visit Grandma so when we bought our new house my mom gave it to her , my oldest daughter is approaching 40 and that vanity was still sitting in the corner of her old room. Not to long ago my daughter bought a new house and asked me can you restore Grandma's vanity ? I said sure, she said but I want it to look different can you do something with out all the lace? I said sure, she said can you make it dark ? sure, so I dismantled it sanded it , stripped it, reinforced the legs made a new drawer, stained it in ebony stain took a old nesting table stripped it sanded it stained it to match and upholstered the stool in fabric my daughter provided so here it is finally finished.
Now since I have some free time today its time to get the Bleachy White out, the wide whites on the Olds need some love, have a good day gents

Old February 2nd, 2021, 09:43 AM

Solly - The vanity is beautiful, great craftsmanship! Your daughter is going to love it. Nothing like bringing a family heirloom back to life and one of the next generation actually wanting to use it! Congrats!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:03 AM

Solly, looks good. Well guys, no '67 442 or British cars for me, but my first car was a '66 Cutlass. 330 2bbl. Couldn't burn rubber to save my asphalt. I do like the looks of the big Healy's, especially with two tone paint. My first motorcycle was a 250 Yamaha that I bought from my brother, I did not like driving it on the highway and getting blown around by semi's. Sold it, and a couple of years later I bought a '79 Yamaha 650 Special, in Feb. of 1980. That one I liked.
Some of the best deals I've ever made were the ones that didn't happen
Ain't that the truth.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:08 AM

You guys were talking about those Buicks, sent me down memory lane, My folks were GM people (except for dads work beaters which were anything that rolled) started with Chevys . 55 Belair, then 57 Belair (cause mom totaled the 55) then traded the 57 in on there first rag top a 63 Impala, then started a string of Pontiac rag tops a 66 Catalina then a 69 Catalina, Then one day mom comes home and says A guy she works with is being transferred to Australia and needs to sell his 1969 Buick Electra 225 convert !! well my dad didn't get it get rid of a 69 for a 69 ?
well mom fell in love with that Deuce and a Quarter ( our first car with A/C) and she talked him in to it, it was a beauty white with black top and black interior, that thing was a block long !! anyway I used to love to drive that thing it was a 430 with a four barrel and damn quick for a boat that big and it would roast the rear rubber, I borrowed it from mom for my first date with my wife, I loved that car !!!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:09 AM

Chris - My first motorcycle was a little Honda CB100 I purchased in 1971 - it was one year old (a 1970 model).
Norm - Another great story! That's too weird that your first motorcycle was a 1970 Honda CB 100, mine was a 1970 SL100, which was the on/off road version. Mine was 3-years old when I got it, it was a great little trail bike. I was 14 when I got it, but I had plenty of experience trail riding on a couple of mini bikes before that. Moved up to a 1973 Honda Elsinore 250 about 2-years later. I had that bike for about 8-years before selling it in 83 when I moved to St. Louis. Great trail bike with tons of power and built like a tank. Never put anything into that bike other than normal wear and tear parts.

Stock photo - 1970 Honda SL100

Stock photo - 1973 Honda Elsinore 250

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; February 2nd, 2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:22 AM

Sollly, Actually the deuce and a quarter is real close to 225" long
Old February 2nd, 2021, 11:30 AM

This is exactly what she looked (same color combo) like except it had a black pinstripe down the side and thank god it didn't have the vinyl side moldings I hated them at least on this model , After my dad passed away my mom gave me the car but I sold it and gave her the money (she was not wealthy ) I didn't have the money to make her a fair offer. I brought it to the place where I worked put it in the parking lot with a for sale sign in it and sold it the first day to a trucker that was driving through to CA. wish I would have kept it .

Last edited by solly; February 2nd, 2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by solly
This is exactly what she looked (same color combo) like except it had a black pinstripe down the side and thank god it didn't have the vinyl side moldings I hated them at least on this model , After my dad passed away my mom gave me the car but I sold it and gave her the money (she was not wealthy ) I didn't have the money to make her a fair offer. I brought it to the place where I worked put it in the parking lot with a for sale sign in it and sold it the first day to a trucker that was driving through to CA. wish I would have kept it .
What a beauty, they sure as hell don't make em like that anymore. Why in the hell can't they make a car that pretty, and rides that well, but with a modern drive train. I can't imagine there wouldn't be a whole boatload of folks who would buy them. Just gorgeous!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 01:38 PM

For sum bizarre reason, I've always preferred the Wildcat convertible to the Electra.

Old February 2nd, 2021, 01:38 PM

Let's play a little from the boys of Flint, Michigan @ Shea Stadium, 1971.
Gotta love GFR, and alot of the other bands known by their 3 letter acronyms. My favorite 3 letter band is CCR. I know there is a thread ongoing about favorite music, but without searching 100 pages of that thread for the favorites of the guys who regularly participate in this thread, I'm interested in you guys top 3 favorites, I'll start:
1. Bruce Springsteen and the E. St. Band
2. The Rolling Stones
3. This one was tough, so I'm going to cheat and say a tie between CCR and Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band

Old February 2nd, 2021, 01:45 PM

For sum bizarre reason, I've always preferred the Wildcat convertible to the Electra.

James - I certainly agree with you 100%. A wonderful cross between luxury and muscle. There was a beautiful aquamarine vert for sale at Volo car sales in Chicago about a year ago, and they actually were not asking a crazy amount for it. I would have loved to have it, but alas, no space for another vehicle.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 02:05 PM

Chris - I'm more or less a music freak - my top three would have to be ranked by genre, but I'll make a stab at my earlier years favorites:
(1) Moody Blues Band
(2) Beatles
(2) Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (Earlier Bruce Springfield)
Norm - I know you really love music, me too! I love all those groups, I was fortunate to see the Moody Blues and CSNY, the Beatles, unfortunately were before my time. P.S., Something's Happening Here, I think you meant Buffalo Springfield . . . LoL
Old February 2nd, 2021, 02:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Sunny out but damn cold. I don't know if it's better to look nice but be cold, or look the part and not be fooled. I ran a couple errands earlier and started up the stove when I got home.

So work, we were supposed to break down 100 wheels. We ran out of wheels at 68. This was a little after 10. The PITA lead said we need at least 80. The front was supposed to sign 100 wheels and then the lead lowered that to 90 and then they were done. So we all sat around "in case" a truck came in. Somehow the guys in the back scrounged up 11 wheels and we left around 1. Those wheels didn't get built, and they will be in the exact place they would have been anyway had we done them in the morning. It was just the lead being a jerk. Oh we can't go home because that's money out of his pocket, so he thinks. My lead is gone all week.

Norm another one I like that Asleep At The Wheel does is Hot Rod Lincoln. Although I like Commander Cody's version better. Three bands that I'd listen to anything they'd do, not in any particular order Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Journey.

I would love to have a 67 442. Or a Cutlass for that matter. But my want is with a twist. I want it to be built on the day I was born. I have a rough estimate of the serial numbers and of course the code on the Fisher Body tag. I've come across a couple of them but could never pinpoint the day. And they were priced out of my reach. Went to see a Cutlass convertible once that had the right date on the tag, but the guy wanted 14K and I thought it was too much. It had a bad 350 turbo trans and some queer looking double stuffed interior. He called me a couple weeks later and he was down to 7K because he really wanted a Delta 88, but I had already bought something else. This was a couple years ago. That Thanksgiving I went to the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona and saw that car with hoopty wheels and the guy wanted 18K. I'm sure it was a different guy who was trying to flip it. Man that interior was ugly.

Solly the vanity looks great. We really have some crafty people around here

My Granddad had a few Wildcats in a row. One was about a 69 four door that he totaled out on the interstate. I'm sure I've told this story before. Deer jumps out in front of the car and Grampa hits the brakes. The deer smashes the windshield and the car spins on ice. A semi is close behind and slams on his brakes, jackknifes and rolls over the back of the car. The whole mess comes to rest on the shoulder facing the wrong way, and the four passengers, all senior citizens, step out of the car unscathed. This was in 1971. I have the pictures somewhere.

Well, dinnertime. Tiger is outside right now and I have the back door open so I know when he's ready to come in. Suddenly all the heat the stove has produced is gone, and it's colder than a witch's tit in February in here. Hey guess what, it's February. Have a good evening everyone.

Old February 2nd, 2021, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Norm another one I like that Asleep At The Wheel does is Hot Rod Lincoln. Although I like Commander Cody's version better. Three bands that I'd listen to anything they'd do, not in any particular order Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Journey.
Mike - Thanks for participating in the music survey, I love Tom Petty too, definitely in my Top 10. I agree with Norm, amazing story about your Grandpa's crash!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=Dream67Olds442;1315454]Gotta love GFR, and alot of the other bands known by their 3 letter acronyms. My favorite 3 letter band is CCR. I know there is a thread ongoing about favorite music, but without searching 100 pages of that thread for the favorites of the guys who regularly participate in this thread, I'm interested in you guys top 3 favorites, I'll start:
1. Bruce Springsteen and the E. St. Band
2. The Rolling Stones
3. This one was tough, so I'm going to cheat and say a tie between CCR and Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band[/QUOTE 1.Led Zeplin 2. The Moody Blies 3. Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old February 2nd, 2021, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by solly
1.Led Zeplin 2. The Moody Blues 3. Stevie Ray Vaughan
Solly - Thanks for rsvp'ing to my survey. You and Norm are soul brothers both choosing The Moody Blues in your top 3. It's so hard to pick just 3 when there was so much great music in the 60's and 70's. I find myself listening almost exclusively to classic rock, especially when I'm riding my bikes. Nothing like Steppenwolf blasting Get your motor running, Get out on the highway, to make you feel 20 again. The magical healing powers of music!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 08:06 PM

Chris - I'm more or less a music freak - my top three would have to be ranked by genre, but I'll make a stab at my earlier years favorites:
(1) Moody Blues Band
(2) Beatles
(3) Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (Earlier Bruce Buffalo Springfield)
Norm - Looking at your, and the other guy's responses, has had me thinking about music and musicians all day and evening. When you chose CSNY, my mind automatically went to the career of Graham Nash. What a resume, Buffalo Springfield, The Hollies, CSNY, and some incredible solo work. I had to go down stairs to my vinyl collection and find his "Songs for Beginners" album and throw it on the turntable. What a talent! I really like a bunch of Neil Young's stuff too.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 09:11 PM

Let's play a little from the boys of Flint, Michigan @ Shea Stadium, 1971.
Norm, that's my favorite Grand Funk song, I have it on my MP that I take to work. along with "Legend of a Mind". One of my buddies in high school, had a brother who lived about a block from my parents house. His brother would let us hang out there when he was gone for the weekend. Black light posters and The Moody Blues. We repaid his brother by splitting his firewood for him. Great times. My favorite band is Pink Floyd, seen them twice, once @ the Rosemont outside of Chicago, and again in Detroit. I saw Roger Waters "The Wall" about 10 years ago in Grand Rapids, Mi. Not to change the subject, but, Hey Greg! Look at the weather that we have coming starting this weekend. Cold!!! 18-24" of snow over the next week along the lake shore, and possibly 50 mph winds. Yee ha! (NOT!)
Old February 2nd, 2021, 09:11 PM

It's impossible for me to identify three top favorite music bands - impossible. I would most certainly have to categorize my top three within each genre of music. I appreciate every form of music of every genre.
Norm - You're absolutely right, for people who really like music, picking just 3 is impossible. Not really a fair question, but still fun to see what guys say. I do like Country Music too. I like alot of the older stuff, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Alan Jackson, and some of the newer artists too like Eric Church. It's funny that there is quite a bit of the newer Country that reminds me of Rock when I was a teenager. Far and away my favorite Country artist has to be Garth Brooks. I have a CD where he is covering rock classics, and his versatility is simply amazing. On it he covers Somebody to Love by Queen and it actually sounds great. Who'd a thunk Garth Brooks could ever sing a Freddie Mercury song and make it sound good!

Sir, the depth and breadth of information you know never ceases to amaze me. If I had to give you a nickname, I'd have to call you "The Renaissance Man". Keep the great info coming!
Old February 2nd, 2021, 09:17 PM

I forgot. Back in the mid 70's, one of my best friends and next door neighbor had a 250 Elsinore. I believe he changed the cam(s) in that thing. I took it for a ride out on a trail near us. I thought that damn thing was going to kill me. Went like a raped ape. The red Wildcat is a sweet car.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I forgot. Back in the mid 70's, one of my best friends and next door neighbor had a 250 Elsinore. I believe he changed the cam(s) in that thing. I took it for a ride out on a trail near us. I thought that damn thing was going to kill me. Went like a raped ape. The red Wildcat is a sweet car.
Dan - Thanks for responding to the music survey. Sounds like you are in for some really nasty Michigan weather! Hope you don't get it as bad as currently forecast. My Elsinore did not have any major performance mods, but it was fast, and tricky until you got used to it. It was really easy to get that front wheel off the ground in any gear if you had too much throttle in it when making a shift.
Old February 2nd, 2021, 10:19 PM

Old February 3rd, 2021, 05:40 AM

Dan, Wife and I also saw Roger Waters at GR, prolly same show as you. We also saw Pink Floyd at Pontiac Silver dome years ago. I really love Jeff Lynne also. The Traveling Wilberrys were really amazing, all of them are gone except Jeff. I saw a video the other day of Heart doing a cover of LedZepplins stairway to heaven . It is amazing, one of my new( to me) favorites. Unfortuneatly I don't have anything to play my Cd,s anymore. You guys got me thinking about old music. I was rock back in the 70's until about 85' then country (Garth, George Strait,etc) then started listening to "new" rock about 98 to 2004( Red Hot Chile Peppers, etc) Since then mostly old rock, old country and new country.
Old February 3rd, 2021, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Dan, Wife and I also saw Roger Waters at GR, prolly same show as you. We also saw Pink Floyd at Pontiac Silver dome years ago. . . .Unfortunately I don't have anything to play my Cd`s anymore. . . . Since then mostly old rock, old country and new country.
Greg - Thanks for your thoughts on music. You and I are right in the same lane these days liking "mostly old rock, old country, and new country". I only saw one event at the Silverdome, it was my big chance to see the Rolling Stones on 30 November 1981. Probably the greatest concert I ever saw. I think they played somewhere around a 30 song play list that included every big hit up until that time, the energy was amazing. You mentioned not having anything to play your CD's anymore. When my old high end 70's floor speakers wore out, I never replaced them, and packed up my other components (still in storage). When I got a divorce and moved into my current house in 2006, I went out and bought a Crosley retro style am/fm/cd/phonograph to play my CD's and vinyl. I really like it because it doesn't take up much space, sounds pretty darn good for what it is, and matches the Early American decor of my home. They aren't crazy expensive, I just looked, JC Penny's still sells them for around $120, not bad for a nice looking, decent sounding, all-in-one unit.

Crosley Entertaiment Unit, am/fm/cd/phonograph

Old February 3rd, 2021, 10:01 AM

You can't buy a baseball cap at a concert for what these cost back then.

Old February 3rd, 2021, 12:34 PM

I've only been to one noteworthy event

Old February 3rd, 2021, 12:34 PM

I have a cousin that has been involved in the music business for years nothing big just involved , it started in Chicago where he was a member
of the WLS Sundancers a band that toured around Chicago for the radio station WLS, anyway he has lived here in the PHX area for years now
years ago he got hooked up with Gaynel Hodge who kind of semi-retired in AZ, he was co- writer of the song Earth Angel and one of the co founders of the Platters, on several occasions, parties etc.. I had the opportunity to sit down and have a conversation with him WOW a music encyclopedia !!
he has performed with just about everyone imaginable, a real professional , very down to earth humble and soft spoken man.
He eventually moved to Amsterdam and sadly he died in June of 2020, I have a cd of his that is mostly cover tunes and a few originals
I listen to it frequently.