The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2024, 06:56 PM

Norm, the desert is abloom after the abundant rainfall over the past several weeks. Allerest for me to battle the desert pollinators. I gotta say here in the desert I suffer much less than on the Gulf Coast where I had sinus infections every spring and fall.
Old April 4th, 2024, 07:32 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Something special about a desert in bloom. I've only experienced it once (Sonoran). For a desert environment I'm sure it is lovely.
Old April 5th, 2024, 05:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Smooth sailing at work so far. However the lead has offered us an empty promise. He says he'd like us to be done and gone by 130. Then he gives us an extended number and says they are all main wheels. The main wheels take longer to build and longer to air up. So basically he was giving us a big FU knowing that we aren't going to make 130 but he thinks he still looks like a good guy. How dumb does he think we are?

I've given up working on my push mower at Mom's house. So this afternoon I think I'll bring my riding mower over on my very large trailer and mow with it. I think I still have a trimmer over there.

Kenneth those pictures look nice. And to think I almost was able to see that on a regular basis.

Okay break is over. Back on our heads.

Old April 5th, 2024, 05:55 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - You're a brave man mowing grass & weed eating in all this pollen. Wear a mask.
Old April 5th, 2024, 05:58 AM

headed norte
Old April 5th, 2024, 05:59 AM
Running On Empty

enjoy
Old April 5th, 2024, 06:33 AM

Safe travels Jim, have a great weekend.
Old April 5th, 2024, 06:36 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Safe travels Jim, have a great weekend.
I'm suspicious a farewell salute honoring departure of a 350 will take place.
Old April 5th, 2024, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I'm suspicious a farewell salute honoring departure of a 350 will take place.
good guess
Old April 5th, 2024, 07:55 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - You realize you're in the Solar Eclipse path of Totality (Poplar Bluff & Carbondale). You should get a remarkable 4'15" - that's phenomenal. I'd love to experience that phenomenon.
Old April 5th, 2024, 08:08 AM

Chris - You realize you're in the Solar Eclipse path of Totality (Poplar Bluff & Carbondale). You should get a remarkable 4'15" - that's phenomenal. I'd love to experience that phenomenon.
Ya, I think we're at 99.7% right here at the house. We would need to go about 15-miles south to get to 100. We have glasses already from the last one and we'll probably just view it from here.
Old April 5th, 2024, 08:10 AM
Running On Empty

Awesome
Old April 5th, 2024, 10:08 AM

I'll put up with 3'06" here.
Old April 5th, 2024, 11:58 AM
Running On Empty

Odds are high they'll run out of Tequila here next Monday...

25°32′31″N 103°24′30″W
Old April 5th, 2024, 02:36 PM
Always room for one more

The total eclipse in 2017 was over Georgia and I drove up to Hiawassee to view it. Very cool. It was like the afternoon was ending and night beginning, only on fast forward. At one point it was so dark the insects started chirping. At total eclipse it really did look like night. And then it was over. The sun started coming back out, the insects stopped, and soon it was light again. It seemed like it got lighter way faster than it got dark.

Well color me wrong. The nonchalant group continued working through lunch, so we could get out faster, and we finished up and were gone by 1. I was totally surprised. Didn't mind a bit. I had eaten my lunch on the fly so I passed on stopping at the Awful house on the way home. Besides that I wanted to get a couple things done and sitting there until 3 is not the way to do that.

Anyway I wanted to bring my mower over to Mom's and the only way I can do that is to use the big trailer. I went to hook up and when I opened the toolbox a bird flew out at me. There's a big enough hold on the side(I presume to pass wires or whatnot through) and this bird had gotten in the toolbox and built a nest and had 5 little eggs. So I decided against moving the trailer. I tried to get the mower in the van, no joy. Funny, I could do it a few years ago. So now that supper is over I'm going to go out and use the line trimmer. I need to find myself a landscaping trailer so I can tote the mower around easily.

Absolutely a picture-perfect day. Sun is out, no clouds, just beautiful. Supposed to be nice all weekend.

Old April 5th, 2024, 03:32 PM

Took the past two days off to clean house, but lost part of the time to work. Company is here in 24 hours. We're getting close. I don't self clean the oven often, in fact, this is the second time in nine years of it being there, and being used in the past five, with more use recently. I had to decide what was "excess grease and food." I followed the thing's manual; clean as much as you can with hot soapy water, remove trays, and set it going. It put out the littlest smoke, but appears to be fully converted to ash now with a few minutes of the three hour cycle left. I ran the vent fan; stank up the kitchen a bit. No big smoke, and no flames. Apparently, some people will self clean a quarter inch of gelled grease on the bottom of the oven and be put off when it autoignites and there's a fire.

A lot more left to do. I need to set up the stereo for CD-4 quadraphonic records. I have two albums on both reel to reel quad, and CD-4 LP quad to compare. The Doors and Jethro Tull.
Old April 5th, 2024, 05:11 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
A lot more left to do. I need to set up the stereo for CD-4 quadraphonic records. I have two albums on both reel to reel quad, and CD-4 LP quad to compare. The Doors and Jethro Tull.
I'm interested. I believe Aqualung was recorded (in studio) in CD-4 quadraphonic. IIRC, The Doors (original album titled 'The Doors') was not recorded in CD-4 quadraphonic, but instead remixed into CD-4 quadraphonic?
Old April 5th, 2024, 07:34 PM
Running On Empty

Fifteen year old (expensive) real leather sofa hasn't been abused but has had some serious use. It isn't extensively thick leather, but it's developed several rips & tears on one of the three panels/cushions. Order a polyurethane type leather product, arrived today, applied today and very satisfied w/ the color match, thickness of product, adhesion, etc. Have to do what you have to do. You know, this product would work fantastic if anyone were interested in fixing, covering, renovating a car dash.
Old April 5th, 2024, 07:35 PM
Running On Empty

This pollen is driving me absolutely bonkers.
Old April 5th, 2024, 08:05 PM

I'm interested. I believe Aqualung was recorded (in studio) in CD-4 quadraphonic. IIRC, The Doors (original album titled 'The Doors') was not recorded in CD-4 quadraphonic, but instead remixed into CD-4 quadraphonic?
Norm, from what I understand about sound is that bands were recorded in however many tracks the main machine had. Sometimes 8 or 12. Those are the individual tracks, like the drummer is on one, the singer on another, etc. They get mixed down into the final version and that is the master. The master is duplicated to secondaries which are sent to record companies to make the record lathe's master.

What's interesting is that there is very little difference between mixing down to 4 tracks for quad, or mixing down to 2 for stereo and coming back later for a different mix from the still intact individual tracks. This is why remastering 50 years is silly, the individual track tapes have been erased and are gone, usually.

Now, what's really interesting is that a lot of older LPs were not downmixed all that tightly, and, if you have a machine that can hear Mid and Side as well as left and right, you can pull quad from stereo. ELP's Brain Salad Surgery is a famous example. I really like old rock and roll for a lot of reasons, but one of them is that stereo was new, and people would really pan hard left or right on certain tracks in the studio. I used to do that in live musicals, if it were a duet of two people in two different scenes on different sides of the stage and they were individually mic'ed, I'd slam their feed all the way to the side they were on. The trick was remembering to put it back middle.

Here's a good example of late 60s stereo fooling around. In addition to the instruments being really stereo, the singer pans left to right over the entire verse each time.

Old April 6th, 2024, 05:53 AM

Norm - I hope you can get some relief from your allergies, I know it sucks, I was sneezing my brains out this morning until my antihistamine kicked in.

John - Good luck getting the rest of your cleaning done. I hope you have a nice visit with your friends or family.
Old April 6th, 2024, 05:58 AM

Good morning guys,

I went Io the big cruise-in in Fenton, MO yesterday evening. This is the reoccurring monthly event at the large Church that usually draws +350-cars. Since the weather was mid-60's and sunny, great for walking around, I went with the intent of taking alot of pictures to show the diversity of cars and trucks at this event. I posted 100 pics of cars and trucks that were at the event last night and they can be seen here if you want to check them out.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...1/#post1563258

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old April 6th, 2024, 07:32 AM
Running On Empty

John - Feel like I'm on the Way-Back Machine this morning. Enjoy your weekend w/ guests.
Chris - Quite the smorgasbord of images from the Fenton show - very nice.

No mowing, trimming & weed whacking w/ all this pollen despite the grass getting tall. Modestly cool breezy day more likened to autumn/fall; yet, bright & sunny.

The GORILLA-LIFT arrives today late this afternoon. Lots of keeper boards & planking I need to remove from the trailer & put in their respective storage areas. Trailer is filled w/ lots of material I need to take to the dump, as well. Trailer sits in the covered but open garage backed up to the rear wall. I'll move the trailer, re-arrange the boards & planking to storage areas then pull out the trailer to obtain clearance for the rear gate while installing the GORILLA-LIFT.

Old April 6th, 2024, 07:48 AM

Norm - Really glad you're feeling on the "upswing" from your procedure! Thanks for checking out the car show pics. Hope the Gorilla Lift gets there and you don't have any install issues. Have a great day.
Old April 6th, 2024, 09:48 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Really glad you're feeling on the "upswing" from your procedure!
Chris - Thanks. I'd say today (day 10) is the first day my eye has been far better during recovery mode. No pain - just a terribly annoying lack of vision after applying antibiotic ointment all day & the absolute nuisance of stitches rubbing sclera (white) of eyeball.

Maneuvering trailer sounds like someone yelling my name. Sure enough, neighbor Raymond (87 yrs) fell down back steps (again) - no injury. His wife looking helpless. "I've fallen & I can't get up" scenario. His brother George (great guy) died two years ago (94 yrs). This is family I purchased house from (their parents). Raymond has always been a PITA (for a variety of reasons) & I often try to pay little attention to his annoyances. Yet, I'll always assist anyone in need. After lifting his tired bones to the vertical position & getting him indoors (listening to his annoying visceral blabbering) he says "Thanks for listening once in awhile". LMFAO as I headed back to the trailer.
Old April 6th, 2024, 11:22 AM

Norm, one of the reasons that I bought my house, one step to get in the front door, and one from the garage. I saw how my parents had trouble in their later years, and decided that fewer steps were a good thing. My best freind's mother in law fell down a flight of basement stairs, unfortunately she didn't last much longer because of it. Though I do miss having a basement to store stuff.
Old April 6th, 2024, 11:40 AM

Chris, nice car pics. There is a red '70 S for sale on marketplace that sorta has my interest. It looks identical to this one, except it has a bench seat. I think that his price is too high though. One reason that I like it is, a good friend had a '70 442 in this color scheme with the SSI's plus white side stripes. When he passed in '16 we (me and two other longtime friends), told his brother, who was in charge of the estate, when you have a price call one of us, as we were all interested in buying it . We had all driven it at one time, one buddy even owned it for a couple of years, before sellling it back to him. what does he do? Calls an apprasier who bought it for less than any of us would have paid. Arrg. If I had the money, a Marina Blue '67 Vette like the one in your pics, would be in my garage, perferably with the L79 engine option.
Old April 6th, 2024, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Smart move regarding stair steps. A Marina Blue '67 corvette would look handsome in your garage.

GORILLA-LIFT arrived undamaged. Trailer moved to interior of man-cave. Assembly & install tomorrow.

About one week ago I'm feeling this slight nagging muscle pain LH bicep which occasionally runs down the bicep - didn't walk, run or bump into anything. About 3-4 days ago I feel a small welt on my bicep. Two days ago it's starting to look worrisome. Two days ago is now a well defined red swollen welt. Pretty sure I was tagged by a venomous spider - which one who the hell knows. Starting to bathe it daily w/ Witch Hazel. Uncommon in North Carolina, but do occasionally appear, I was tagged by what I suspect was a Brown Recluse directly above my lower tibia (shin bone) about 10 years ago. Thankfully not much tissue directly above that area for it to get necrosis.

Absolutely gorgeous weather today (except for pollen). Wore my clear lens safety goggles around all day outdoors to help stave off pollen in the eye(s).
Old April 6th, 2024, 07:13 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a great day today. Loaded up some engine parts, had a delicious lunch, went for a long and relaxing boat ride. It doesn't get any better than that. The company was the best. Now all I have to do is find a place for all these parts.

It would have been a long day for Tiger if he was home alone, but he was at Mom's and snoozed and went outside to play and had treats all day. He's sure sticking close to me this evening, though.

Tomorrow is shopping day. And laundry. Have to work all 5 next week. Who wants to do that. But I was thinking of going in early a couple days. I need to build up my comp time.

Okay that's it for me. Gonna sleep in tomorrow. Walmart isn't going anywhere. Have a good night everyone.

Old April 6th, 2024, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Have to work all 5 next week.
Same here, but then I have the following week off. The company stopped letting us carry over vacation hours, so I gotta use up all last year’s hours before the end of the quarter.
Old April 7th, 2024, 02:39 AM

Mike, glad you could make it. You know you are welcome anytime. The super model really enjoyed your company [ as well as myself) sorry that the dogmobile has now become the parts mobile. I should have sent a plate home with you for mom. Sorry I didn't think of it. Come back soon. Tanks for the Jerry can.

Last edited by Jamesbo; April 7th, 2024 at 03:00 AM.
Old April 7th, 2024, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, nice car pics. There is a red '70 S for sale on marketplace that sorta has my interest. It looks identical to this one, except it has a bench seat. I think that his price is too high though. One reason that I like it is, a good friend had a '70 442 in this color scheme with the SSI's plus white side stripes. When he passed in '16 we (me and two other longtime friends), told his brother, who was in charge of the estate, when you have a price call one of us, as we were all interested in buying it . We had all driven it at one time, one buddy even owned it for a couple of years, before sellling it back to him. what does he do? Calls an apprasier who bought it for less than any of us would have paid. Arrg. If I had the money, a Marina Blue '67 Vette like the one in your pics, would be in my garage, perferably with the L79 engine option.
Dan - Thanks for checking out the car show pics and glad you liked them. That's a shame your friend's brother did not offer the Cutlass to one of you guys. One of my very best friends has a '66 Vette, 427 ci (L72?), tri-power, 4-speed car. Absolutely gorgeous car, and runs like a Mo Fo, but hotter than Hell to ride in in the Summer.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 7th, 2024 at 08:03 AM.
Old April 7th, 2024, 06:59 AM

About one week ago I'm feeling this slight nagging muscle pain LH bicep which occasionally runs down the bicep - didn't walk, run or bump into anything. About 3-4 days ago I feel a small welt on my bicep. Two days ago it's starting to look worrisome. Two days ago is now a well defined red swollen welt. Pretty sure I was tagged by a venomous spider - which one who the hell knows. Starting to bathe it daily w/ Witch Hazel. Uncommon in North Carolina, but do occasionally appear, I was tagged by what I suspect was a Brown Recluse directly above my lower tibia (shin bone) about 10 years ago. Thankfully not much tissue directly above that area for it to get necrosis.
Norm - If you even remotely suspect the new spot on your bicep could be a Brown Recluse, DO NOT WAIT to seek medical attention. I have a close friend who almost lost his lower leg because he waited too long.. Better safe than sorry in this case.
Old April 7th, 2024, 08:43 AM

Good morning guys,

Overcast, breezy, and 58° right now with a 60% chance of thunderstorms around 3pm. There is a judged car show in Arnold today from noon - 5pm, but I'm not going because of the storm threat.

I went to Gabe's hockey game last night and boy was it a thriller. His team got down early 3-0 when Gabe scored late in the 1st period making it 3-1, which really seemed to give his team a lift. Two of Gabe's teammates scored in the 2nd period tying the game at 3-3. The opposing team scored a 4th goal about midway thru the 3rd. With only about 30-seconds left in the game, Gabe got the puck behind the centerline and skated past or around 3 defenders to score the tying goal with about 20-seconds left. Just a few seconds after the face-off, Gabe received a pass and was on a breakaway when he was tripped from behind and received a penalty shot. Gabe scored on his penalty shot for his hat trick, winning the game! Lord knows I love my sports, but there's nothing more exciting to me than getting to watch him play!

Hope ya'll have a great day!
Old April 7th, 2024, 12:32 PM
Running On Empty

Install complete. Slight modification to accommodate cable in down position.

Old April 7th, 2024, 01:09 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Thanks for the concern. I am extremely familiar w/ Brown Recluse. Like all venoms reactions are dependent on several factors. Thank goodness whatever critter it was didn’t tag me on my dick.
Old April 7th, 2024, 01:47 PM

Chris - Thanks for the concern. I am extremely familiar w/ Brown Recluse. Like all venoms reactions are dependent on several factors. Thank goodness whatever critter it was didn’t tag me on my dick.
That would be bad, really bad! I'm very familiar too, they are very, very common around here. The Gorilla Lift looks great, really nice modification!
Old April 7th, 2024, 02:42 PM

Norm, I hope you enjoy your lift
Old April 7th, 2024, 03:30 PM
Always room for one more

Norm that's a nice little trailer. I need one like it. We have those lifts on our tire trailers at work. Don't know if they are Gorilla lifts or some other, but they are nice.

Beautiful here, and has been all day. Got the shopping done then went and did laundry and mowed. I'm slow to get the mowing all put together and all of it done for the first time.

Jamesbo was I supposed to take any wheels yesterday? Not sure many would have fit.

So of all things to find but a toy of a Valiant. Maybe instead of a real Valiant I'll get a 3D printer and then make as many as I want. If I do that I'll send you all a Valiant toy for Christmas.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old April 7th, 2024, 04:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, I hope you enjoy your lift
Jim - Nice ancillary piece of equipment. Thanks for the suggestion. Shame on you forgetting a plate for Mike's Mom.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm that's a nice little trailer. I need one like it. We have those lifts on our tire trailers at work. Don't know if they are Gorilla lifts or some other, but they are nice.
Mike - Thanks. It's a great utility trailer. Nicer now w/ the lift assist.