The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2023, 06:33 PM
Always room for one more

Thats not what I meant. I should have said, who was the manufacturer. Is it a Wurlitzer? There are pizza places in Californis, of all things, that have old theater organs in them. I guess tou can pretend your at a concert(or a ball game) while chowing down on a pie.
Old March 31st, 2023, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
If you're checking your doors are locked and the gas is off. Uh huh - that's OCD.
Ordering & rearranging - Uh huh - no one should order and rearrange things else be considered OCD.
Norm, if you do it once no issue.

If you do it twice, just verifying you didn’t miss anything.

If you do it repetitively then yes, there is something different about you.
Old March 31st, 2023, 06:45 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - I get it. Agree.
Old March 31st, 2023, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Thats not what I meant. I should have said, who was the manufacturer. Is it a Wurlitzer? There are pizza places in Californis, of all things, that have old theater organs in them. I guess tou can pretend your at a concert(or a ball game) while chowing down on a pie.
Mike - Sorry again, don't know the manufacturer of the organ. If you're into organs, my undergraduate college in Michigan, Albion College, had an incredible Moeller pipe organ in their Goodrich Chapel. I think it has something like 3,500 pipes. The College would regularly hire accomplished organists to come in and give performances. I went to every one I possibly could, the sound was unworldly!

Old March 31st, 2023, 07:10 PM
Running On Empty

As an Exchange Student for x3 months during the summer of 1969 our group toured & resided in Italy, France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany & England (~x2 weeks/country). We studied the history & culture of each country. Private audiences etc. with select people (i.e. Pope Paul VI) & many of the historical buildings in each country (i.e. The Louvre, The Vatican, many Castles throughout France, Germany, Italy & England). We toured Freiberg Cathedral, Freiberg, Germany. These were prearranged visits to each site/facility conducted, put together by AFS (American Institute for Foreign Study). Since I attended a parochial (Catholic) H.S. there was a slight hint of religious history invoked within each of our tours. At any rate, that's when I saw this BEAST. I read both bass & treble clef & played accordion, piano & guitar - I was blown away - this thing is SICK. They had a T.V. documentary program of it some years ago.

Old March 31st, 2023, 07:36 PM
Running On Empty

Most of y'all will recognize this piece on two different levels - both are most likely familiar. I prefer piano to organ & this player really nails this piece. If you're bored with the second movement...fast forward to 8'29" for the Presto agitato (Movement 3) piece.
Old March 31st, 2023, 08:45 PM

Well those organs look like something a person named Vladimir should be playing.
While wearing a dark cape.
Old April 1st, 2023, 05:37 AM

The Might Mo at the Fox theatre where Mike, John and Sandy visited a few years ago, I grew up going there for movie's and pop corn
Old April 1st, 2023, 06:12 AM

Good morning guys,

The videos were all great, thanks for sharing! Those huge pipe organs are really something!

Severe weather here last night up until about midnight. Heavy rain, high winds, and some pea sized hail, but we were lucky there were no tornadoes near us. Right now my attention is focused on my "Ex", youngest daughter Blaire, and grandsons Gabe and Keegan who had headed south to Pensacola yesterday evening for a 5-day mini vacation. I've got a text out to my daughter asking her to let me know they're all OK, but haven't gotten a reply yet. Nerve-racking!

Hope everyone else escapes the bad weather as it continues to move across and that you all have a nice weekend.
Old April 1st, 2023, 06:28 AM
Running On Empty

USPS notification my power stop SW is out for delivery. A couple days earlier than expected. Best get my **** moving.
Old April 1st, 2023, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Norm, if you do it once no issue.

If you do it twice, just verifying you didn’t miss anything.

If you do it repetitively then yes, there is something different about you.
I find I am losing extreme short term memory of incidental things. Like I go back and check that I shut lights off, turned the heat down, and turned off the coffee pot. I don't forget to DO these things, it's just that I don't 100% remember daily events that I do while thinking about other things as well I as used to. Oh well. I don't need cheater glasses yet, I have all my hair and only about 1% scattered is gray, and I think I'd look all right if I got back into running shape, which I will try to do. No real complaints at 43, just wish I had the work all day and keep going till midnight and only need 4 hours of sleep I used to have.
Old April 1st, 2023, 06:51 AM

Norm - Good luck replacing the switch, hope it's not too big a PIA, and that it solves the problem.

John - At 63, my memory sucks compared to what it used to be, and I'm constantly trying to remember if I shut something off or where I laid something down at.

I feel better now, I finally heard back from my daughter and they got down to Pensacola without incident. Now I can enjoy my day.
Old April 1st, 2023, 07:13 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Glad your daughter is fine. Working inside/under the dash is always a PITA. It isn’t hard work, it’s an annoying nuisance.
Old April 1st, 2023, 07:23 AM

Chris Please tell her to have breakfast at the Coffee cup and try the Nassau grits. I tried to get Mike to try them for a few decades w/o any luck. The place is an art deco time warp opened in 1945 https://www.visitpensacola.com/direc...up-restaurant/
Old April 1st, 2023, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris Please tell her to have breakfast at the Coffee cup and try the Nassau grits. I tried to get Mike to try them for a few decades w/o any luck. The place is an art deco time warp opened in 1945 https://www.visitpensacola.com/direc...up-restaurant/
Thanks Jim, I sent the link on to them. I kinda doubt they will check it out though, because I know the hotel they're staying at has a free hot breakfast bar, a big savings when you've got two youngin's along, plus you don't have to drag them out.
Old April 1st, 2023, 08:54 AM
Running On Empty

Non-functioning power top SW has been removed. Small steps.
Old April 1st, 2023, 09:17 AM

Got dryer parts today. I looked them up on repair clinic- price for everything was about $350.00! So I wrote down part #'s and punched them in to Amazon. Ordered all parts for about $100.00. I realize they are all Chineseim but good enough I hope. The thermal fuse was blown. I could have got dryer fixed for about $10 bucks but what a PIA to get out of small laundry room ( though not as tight as Norm's!) so I ordered everything I thought it could be along with new belt and rollers. Guess I'll do it tomorrow. Weather has warmed up here, most snow gone, I think ice will be off lake by Easter, looking forward to spring.
Old April 1st, 2023, 09:18 AM

Chris another don't miss place to eat is the fish House. Grits a yaya is their specialty and its THE BEST THING I EVER ATE https://fishhousepensacola.com/
Old April 1st, 2023, 09:52 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - I order nearly everything same way. Find it then see if Amazon has it. Most of the time they do - saves big $$
Old April 1st, 2023, 11:17 AM

Non-functioning power top SW has been removed. Small steps.
Norm,
If your plan is to toss the old one, I would like it. Lemme know.
Old April 1st, 2023, 12:01 PM

Norm, you will need a replacement for this Oldsmobile.

I think you need a big 98 and you can call her Bertha, or Marge, or Ethel or something like that.
Old April 1st, 2023, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm, you will need a replacement for this Oldsmobile.

I think you need a big 98 and you can call her Bertha, or Marge, or Ethel or something like that.
Maybe name her "Fanny", as in "Fat Bottomed Girls"!
Old April 1st, 2023, 12:43 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Norm,
If your plan is to toss the old one, I would like it. Lemme know.
Yes. I was going to toss it after attempting to pry the old one apart & evaluate it. I did a basic continuity and it demonstrates intermittent non-continuous continuity as it appears the "toggle" (up/down) SW position is suspect/culprit. None-the-less, instead of taking it apart, I'm happy to send it to you.
Old April 1st, 2023, 01:25 PM

I do not own a convertible A body, and, although I will some day own my father's convertible Corvette once he is done with it, it is a manual top. That being said, these switches have a rough life because the power goes through them for the pump directly, as in, they are not driving a relay, which they should.
Old April 1st, 2023, 01:30 PM
Running On Empty

John - You want to know something? That's an excellent point. That will limit the service life of the SW. IIRC, I've read (somewhere) some members have installed a relay into the power top SW (I think - not sure). I would think you should be able to, maybe.
Old April 1st, 2023, 02:04 PM
Running On Empty

I believe what I'll do firstly is examine the ground wire(s) at the power top motor. Pretty sure I evaluated the wiring at the motor when I had the backseat out and interior removed for carpet R&R. It'll take me a little more time, but cleaning the ground wire(s) lead(s) off the power top motor is simply the right thing to do. If there's corrosion/oxidation, etc. around the ground attachment points/body/wires that can significantly increase the resistance and amperage draw on that new SW.
Old April 1st, 2023, 02:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What a great day. Got up and had a good time at Awful house. Went to my airport and had a nice visit. It lasted longer than normal because every time we'd get up to leave it would pour down rain. Finally got home and the sun came out. There's a bit of a breeze, which will help dry things out a little.

Fat Bottom Girls they make the rockin' world go 'round.

Dinner is ready.

Old April 1st, 2023, 04:01 PM
Always room for one more

Okay that didn't take too long. She snuck up on me with everything ready.

Picked up Mom and we took some laundry to my house. Did two loads, unprecedented. While we were waiting we put a few things away and cleaned house a little. A successful afternoon if you ask me.

I went to the Nethercutt museum in California once. Beautiful collection. In one of his buildings he had a big concert organ. They would have concerts in this building and people would come to hear the organ being played. I don't remember how many ranks it had but it was two or three levels on the keyboard. Very impressive. I was there while JB and his wife were still alive, but they weren't at the collection the day I was visiting.

Gonna be nice tomorrow, hope I can get something done after Walmart. It's supposed to rain all week. Why.

Old April 1st, 2023, 04:14 PM

Norm, remember that you can access the top motor from the trunk. Just lift the well liner out of the way.
Old April 1st, 2023, 04:31 PM

Chris, the Fox theater is ornate as hell, cool.The organs posted are cool as well, I wonder if anybody has played "Frankenstein" on them. By the way, talked to my buddy, even though i didn't go to his place. His words were, we're f*#ked! He has dug into the issues with the 2.0 & 2.4l used in our vehicles. The 2 piece ring design baffles him as it was something that the domestics were using back in the 50's, and does not understand why they used it today. Back then emissions weren't a concern, and adding oil to the rig was normal. It is used in diesels, but ring coatings, fuel, lubrication and emissions are different. With the carbon/burnt oil deposits on our rings, it increases the chance of the cylinder walls becoming scored (probably already happene to mine). They also use two injectors on these engines, and they are contributing to the cylinders getting washed down...no oil on the rings, no protection. Another problem is because of the oil blow by, the PCV valve will get gummed up, causing more issues. He ordered a new one from Rock Auto for his as a safe measure ($8). He has a printout that he will let me read, and hopefully take with me, or at least scan, and send it my way. I will be able to share it with you in that case. Hy-Lift Johnson lifters, we have come to the conclusion that even though they are listed as being made here, they most likely are not. My buddy has been by there a few times and noted that there just aren't enough vehicles there for full time lifter manufactuing, and seems to think that this may now just be where phone orders are taken. They were bought by a group that had been buying automotive related business' a few years ago out of Florida. Haven't heard anything negative about them on any Olds forums, if that's a help.
Old April 1st, 2023, 06:52 PM

Dan - Thanks for all the info! Funny thing about the Hylift Johnson lifters, when I called their customer service department to make sure about fitment, I specifically asked the Rep if they were made it the USA and he told me they were made in Muskegon. Who knows, are there any honest and legit vendors anymore??? I have found some Clevite lifters made in the USA, the cheapest I can find right now, $405 for a set, that's just nuts? I'm telling you, the things are getting hard to find, at least ones that are not Chinesium. There is a CO member who's going to be selling both some NOS Sealed Power brand and original NOS GM one's at Homecoming in Lansing. Greg told me he was going to go to Homecoming and would purchase them for me if I needed him to. The guy here on CO who has them is being a real Dick and won't even tell me what he's gonna ask for either set.

As for the Sante Fe, I still feel like I need to get out from under it, even though it's running fine right now. With everything that I've read, and now heard, I can't help but feel the writing is on the wall. You said it best, we're Phuqued! The other problem still remains, I really don't know what in the hell to get to replace it??? I really am gun shy about ever buying anything Korean again!

The Fox really is an amazing place to see a concert, especially good for acoustic type artists. I sat in the 2nd row of the orchestra pit right in front of the stage to see Gordon Lightfoot and it was amazing. Also saw CSN there, and Neil Young.
Old April 2nd, 2023, 12:09 AM
Running On Empty

Power Top SW R&R complete.
Old April 2nd, 2023, 04:17 AM

Norm, did the switch work good? I have a extra or 2 in my Olds stash. I didn't offer them up as I keep thinking I may need to replace mine at sometime. Back when I had the Vista they used the same switch for the power rear window so I bought some spares. I don't think you could get new replacements back then. Got dryer completed, works fine. You know they would be easy to work on except for their location in most homes. After I got it done I had to remove the washer and watch as wifey pushed back dryer to reconnect with vent. When pulling out washer accidentally dropped drain hose and got water all over laundry room to lay in.... Anyway after getting dryer aligned, then washer back in place I hope all done. We will do some laundry today and see.
Old April 2nd, 2023, 05:56 AM

Good morning guys,

Norm and Greg - Nice repair jobs!

Went to the cruise-in at the DQ in DeSoto yesterday afternoon/evening. Roads were dry and sun was out. Still kind of chilly though, it was only about 50° and there was a steady 15mph breeze. Pretty decent turnout, but I didn't take any pics this time. It was nice to get the car out, but a little disappointing too. The small tweaks I did to a few things over the Winter did not eliminate the mystery noise. I did crawl into the trunk (I have to) to reinstall the 2-piece OEM style vinyl trunk mat, and when I was in there checked the mounting of the two 5x8 speakers in the package tray, and both were secure. Next it's going back up on jack stands and I'm going to push, pull, and tug on every piece from the front to the back to see if there is anything that could possibly move when the car is in motion and make a noise by contacting another piece. I am thinking more and more that I'm going to need a 2nd set of ears that belong to someone more knowledable than me to find it?

Birthday party for the grand nephew on my wife's side this afternoon at 2pm, oh joy! Well it's supposed to be sunny and low 70's today so we can at least be outside.

Hope ya'll have a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; April 2nd, 2023 at 06:07 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2023, 06:14 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - The switch is working like a champ. Always the most aggravating/tedious annoyance/nuisance is dropping that shift/gear indicator steel wire back down behind the dash for reassembly. I purchased the switch from Hydro-E-Lectric. They have a store front on eBay (where I made the purchase). Excellent quality switch. Identical to OEM except they reversed the molded plastic colors (maroon<>black). Every piece is same as OEM. Very pleased. I checked the ground wire on the top motor - perfect condition. In fact, the top motor appears brand new. Good job on bringing your dryer back to life. After I fixed my dryer some months later it began to intermittently not heat. I had to R&R the timer switch which is a no-brainer - it sits in the console on top the dryer. The brass contacts were fried.

Old April 2nd, 2023, 06:21 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I mentioned many threads earlier I suspected it may be heat related. If so, it will be a bear to isolate. However, with the car completely cold (no warm-up) take if for a ride right after starting - is the noise apparent? Does the noise appear as you drive further and the car warms up? Anything is suspect. Even the muffler(s) themselves. Those welds inside a muffler can deteriorate/break loose & the noise may or may not emanate as the exhaust heats up. Of course, any piece of the exhaust system will expand as they heat up. Drives you nuts, eh?
Old April 2nd, 2023, 06:53 AM

Chris - I mentioned many threads earlier I suspected it may be heat related. If so, it will be a bear to isolate. However, with the car completely cold (no warm-up) take if for a ride right after starting - is the noise apparent? Does the noise appear as you drive further and the car warms up? Anything is suspect. Even the muffler(s) themselves. Those welds inside a muffler can deteriorate/break loose & the noise may or may not emanate as the exhaust heats up. Of course, any piece of the exhaust system will expand as they heat up. Drives you nuts, eh?
Norm - "Drives you nuts, eh?" - YES!, exclamation warranted. The noise is just loud enough to be annoying. I'm not saying it's not heat related, but it does occur cold, warm, or hot, but only when the car is in motion. My very first thought was a loose interior muffler baffle, that may still be the case. The mufflers (2016 install) still look like new, but that doesn't mean anything if an interior part had a poor weld from the get-go.
Old April 2nd, 2023, 06:58 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Time to toss someone in the trunk & go for a ride.
Old April 2nd, 2023, 07:16 AM

Chris - Time to toss someone in the trunk & go for a ride.
Time for Grandson Gabe to earn that new basketball goal!
Old April 2nd, 2023, 08:17 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Time for Grandson Gabe to earn that new basketball goal!
Tell Gabe he isn't getting out until he's located the noise.