The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2024, 02:15 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I waited until the end of the day to say something to the lead. He said he would take care of it tomorrow. I fully expect him to do nothing, but I did my job reporting a guy that wasn't doing his work. Which in turn makes it so I can't do my work. But I digress...

It's been cloudy all day but no real rain. It's spitting a little right now but very minimal. It's supposed to go away at midnight anyway.

Mom didn't want to get her hair cut today, so I went and worked in the room. Now, I've told her numerous times that I need to sand and make a big mess, yet she will not move all the stuff she has in the room to keep from getting compound dust all over everything. I'm tired of telling her. So when I get to the point I need to sand, I'll just stop working in the room. Then she'll ask why I don't work in there anymore.

Well Tiger has got himself into trouble I better go rescue him. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old January 3rd, 2024, 02:51 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Wouldn't it be cool if it were legal to grab a three foot crow bar and go postal on that POS good for nothing wall guy? I mean seriously, that would be good fun.
Old January 3rd, 2024, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

John - My Gestalt method of diagnosing/evaluating/measuring/monitoring/troubleshooting/masking/encrypting digital network traffic: Who doesn't love a Pretty Damn Nice Titty Spa
This is how all packets are both created & read on any network (7-LAYER OSI MODEL). I designed my acronym to read from the bottom to the top so I would never fail in reading network traffic.

A = Application Layer
P = Presentation Layer
S = Session Layer
T = Transmission Layer
N = Network Layer
D = Data Link Layer
P = Physical Layer

Old January 3rd, 2024, 04:56 PM

A dvd that you might want to consider is : "They Shall Not Grow Old", which is a WWI documentary with actual wartime reels. They studied old interviews, and brought in lip readers to match up the dialogue to the soldiers. Peter Jackson directed and produced. It was released in very limited theaters, the closest to me was the Detroit suburbs. I had to wait a couple of months to order it, as it wasn't originally released to the U.S. market on DVD.[/QUOTE]

Dan I was looking around for the film a bit. I found it on Amazon 3.99 to rent 6.99 to buy.
Then I checked out You Tube and ran across this documentary. Maybe you have already checked it out. Pretty neat to watch. I really like the name of the Film Company...

Old January 3rd, 2024, 05:54 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - I'm only 20 minutes into the Peter Jackson documentary & I love it.
Old January 3rd, 2024, 07:11 PM
Running On Empty

World War II: From the Frontlines
Episode:1
Old January 3rd, 2024, 07:27 PM

Hey guys,

Sounds like everyone has been having a pretty good day except for Mike.

Mike - My 2-cents, if nothing changes, go above the Leads head. It's the Lead's job, are you hearing me, THE LEADS JOB, to monitor production and make sure everyone's doing their job. If the Lead continues not to do his job, document with dates/times/personnel that are involved, and go above his head. It's not your job to police the workforce.

We pretty much spent the entire afternoon at a funeral for.my wife's former step-mother, whose name was Gail. Dawn lived with her Dad and Gail from 6th Grade thru HS because Dawn butted heads with her Mom so much. Dawn and Gail were never extremely close, especially after Dawn's Dad and Gail divorced. Dawn did get to see her step-brother Scott for the first time in about 30-years today, which was nice for both of them. Dawn also got to see some other family and friends that she hadn't seen in many, many years.

Hope ya'll are having a nice evening.

Old January 3rd, 2024, 07:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
This is good, really, really good.
Old January 3rd, 2024, 07:58 PM
Running On Empty

Episode 2
Old January 3rd, 2024, 08:02 PM

Chris, condolences on Dawn's and yours loss.

Mike/Chris, companies say they want initiative, but that's only when you magically do what they had in their mind. This is why no one in the military takes initiative; you have to guess right on not only what they would have had you do if you had thought of it, but you have to guess right that your superior is that kind of guy to appreciate it. My company says take ownership and stop the problems from happening before you're told. That really means clean up other peoples' messes without being told and let them take advantage of you. It does not mean, as I have found out, stopping problems by informing the problem solver exactly how he is ******* up in a public, hilarious, and detailed fashion so he doesn't do it again.

A phrase I have found is "act your wage." You did precisely right by informing the lead of the problem. It is now not your problem, and you should not mention it again. Write down to yourself exactly what you said to the lead and when, in case management comes down on the shitbird and he tries to throw you under the bus. Other than that, best thing I have found when waiting on someone to get moving is to stand at your station and continually look in his direction. "I expect wheels any minute now, sir, thanks for checking on me." etc.
Old January 4th, 2024, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris, condolences on Dawn's and yours loss.
Thank you John, I'll let Dawn know.
Old January 4th, 2024, 08:26 AM

In Memory of My Best Friend

It was 10-years ago today that I got the worst call of my life, letting me know my younger Brother Tim had been killed in a freak pedestrian auto accident during a Michigan blizzard/whiteout. He was my best friend, supporter, and confidant even though we lived 500-miles apart the majority of our adult lives. I would like you guys to know a little about this truly incredible guy who meant so much to me, so I'm including a portion of his obituary that I wrote at the time of his death.

"Timothy Charles Nixon, age 50, of Hastings, Michigan passed away unexpectedly on Saturday, January 4, 2014.

Tim was born in Battle Creek, Michigan on May 28, 1963 to Ralph Charles Nixon and Marjorie Christine Nixon (Wilder). He graduated from Athens High School in 1981, received an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Kalamazoo Valley Community College in 1984, and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice from Western Michigan University in 1986.Tim served as a patrolman for the Battle Creek City Police Department from 1985-1986, before becoming a Michigan State Police Trooper. As a State Trooper Tim was stationed at the St. Joseph Post where he served through 1991.

Tim then laterally transfered into the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) as a Conservation Officer in the Law Enforcement Division, and was stationed in Barry County, where he was a Field Officer from 1991-1997 when he was promoted to Sergeant. Tim continued to advance in the management ranks of the DNR, being promoted to Lieutenant in the training section, then in 2001 to Staff Captain, and was later promoted again to Southern Zone Captain. Tim reached the pinnacle of his career with the DNR when he was appointed by the Governor to the position of Emergency Management Director of the DNR in 2008. He retired from the DNR in 2011.

Tim then began teaching Law Enforcement at the Capital Area Career Center in Mason and found great satisfaction in grooming the next potential generation of law enforcement officers. He cared deeply about each of his students and hoped to instill them with valuable life lessons and not just knowledge and skills. He was beloved by both his students and their parents.

Tim was an avid hunter, fisherman, and loved the outdoors, whether camping with his family or working in his garden. He was a charismatic individual, full of energy, and enjoyed spending time with friends and family, working on home improvement projects, sports, classic cars, and hobby farming. Tim's family was always his priority, and he will always be remembered as the very best husband, father, son, and brother."

Thanks guys for letting me express my continuing grief in this way. Even after 10-years there's never a day goes by that I don't think of him. I just really needed to find a way to honor his memory today.

Old January 4th, 2024, 08:45 AM
Always room for one more

Chris I think you just did.

Good morning everyone.

Was a beautiful, if not dark morning when I left the house and now it's a sunny 44* out. I'm hearing rain this weekend and I really need to be outside so I hope the forecast is wrong.

Well I wasn't wrong in what I thought my lead would do today about my bad wall guy. He comes up to me this morning and says don't say anything to Al, but I'm going to monitor him and then show him the difference. Don't know what that will do, or what difference he's talking about, but that's about the very least he could do. Monitor. The guy hasn't said one word to me today and that's fine. I got 9 wheels from him by break(830) and now sit at 11 wheels so far for the day. Pitiful. As I sit here and look over my shoulder, he's talking with another guy while there are 5 wheels in the cage ready for him to work on.

No plans for after work. After making a fuss about getting her hair cut, Mom can't be bothered now. She won't clear out the bedroom, so there's no reason to go over there early. I'm gonna putter around outside I think then go over at dinner time.

Hope the day is going well for everyone. One more to go.

Old January 4th, 2024, 08:55 AM
Running On Empty

Keith - I finished the Peter Jackson aircraft documentary this morning. I'd never heard of this person before watching. I'm blown away by his storied career. The documentary is really great. Thanks for sharing.
Old January 4th, 2024, 08:59 AM
Running On Empty

Episode 2
This is a six episode series. It contains authentic footage captured during WWII. No Hollywood portrayals &/or re-enactments. Well done, so far.
Old January 4th, 2024, 11:06 AM

Chris, NICE tribute. Unfortunately I have lost 2 golf friends over the holidays One a plus that walked 18 3 X a week{Great shape but sepsis got him] and one a duffer like me
Old January 4th, 2024, 11:18 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Sorry to hear. Yeah, sepsis is a killer.
Old January 4th, 2024, 11:32 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Yeah, nice tribute to your brother, as Jim stated.

Jim - I began striking the ball really, really well yesterday. It began to get windy & cold, but I was enjoying my newly founded swing I had to continue play through 18 so I did.

Absolute key takeaway (I learned this from Rory McIlroy): Turn your body at EXACT same time you turn your arms. I was dialed-in.
Old January 4th, 2024, 12:09 PM

Mike, Jim, and Norm - Thanks for the kind words about my tribute to my brother, much appreciated. Jim - I'm very sorry for your loss of your golf buddies, it's tough.
Old January 4th, 2024, 12:14 PM

On a much brighter note today, the story of my 4-4-2 being in the 2 NFL segments came out today in the OCA's January issue of the Journey with Old's monthly magazine. Here is the 2-page layout found on pages 26 & 27 of the magazine.

Old January 4th, 2024, 12:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...the story of my 4-4-2 being in the 2 NFL segments came out today...
Schweet....
Old January 4th, 2024, 01:50 PM

Chris Very nice congratulations
Old January 4th, 2024, 01:56 PM

Otto, I may have to watch that on You Tube, on my tv tonight. I can't watch videos on my computer for that long. Chris, an excellent write up that you did for your brother. Jim, sorry for the loss of your friends. Chris, nice article, waiting on my OCA mag to arrive.
Old January 4th, 2024, 02:33 PM

Norm, Jim, and Dan - Thanks for your congrats on the story being published, much appreciated. I am still somewhat astonished that the story was actually accepted and published, but then again I guess it's not everyday someone's car (especially an Olds) is used in an NFL segment. In any case, I'm pretty thrilled about it, and it's something my Grandson's will always have.
Old January 4th, 2024, 02:43 PM

That's not a bad article. I need to read more of Journey with Olds to steal more tricks and techniques.

I am still somewhat astonished that the story was actually accepted and published, but then again I guess it's not everyday someone's car (especially an Olds) is used in an NFL segment
I don't want to speak for a huge club with a monthly huge magazine and a paid editor, but, as the editor of the H/OCA's magazine, I will print anything fit to print on the subject as our members send in about 10% of the amount of content I'd like. I wish I had a backlog of stuff to fit in!
Old January 4th, 2024, 02:51 PM
Always room for one more

Chris the car is a celebrity and now you are too. Congratulations on being published.

Got out of work around 2. Didn't do anything at home except snooze on the couch a little. It's such a nice day out, but it's going to rain when it really counts, this weekend.

John I used to put together a small newsletter for my neighborhood. Probably 150 or less people. Probably a couple times a year someone would send something in, so I made it all up. I'd take some liberties and fluff stuff up to see if anyone was paying attention. Once in a great while someone would question something and I'd say nope it's all true. Then I said I didn't want to do the newsletter anymore and no one wanted to take it over and that was it for the newsletter.

Old January 4th, 2024, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
That's not a bad article. I need to read more of Journey with Olds to steal more tricks and techniques.
John - Thanks, that means alot coming from someone who is a national editor in his own right. The article is pretty much verbatim as submitted. Of course I can't take any credit for the layout or the pictures that were selected from the ones that were submitted.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris the car is a celebrity and now you are too. Congratulations on being published.
Thanks Mike, much appreciated!
Old January 4th, 2024, 04:40 PM

Keith - I finished the Peter Jackson aircraft documentary this morning. I'd never heard of this person before watching. I'm blown away by his storied career. The documentary is really great. Thanks for sharing.
Norm -
I had not heard of him before Dans post. The perfect mix of Family inspired passion for preserving history, sharing such skilled talents through his network of artist's, and philanthropy. What a great network of folks.
In a world of dog eat dog, a very nice change of pace.
Looks like I'll have to get back on the Netfix wagon, The WWII from the Frontlines, along with others, will be worth a look. Thanks for sharing as well.

Enjoy
Old January 4th, 2024, 04:51 PM

Chris -

Nice tribute for your Brother.

Happy the article made the publication, pretty cool for sure. Thanks for sharing
Old January 4th, 2024, 05:03 PM

Chris, very nice obituary/tribute to your brother, congrats on the article in JWO. I will check it out when I get it!
Old January 4th, 2024, 06:51 PM

Keith and Greg - Thanks for the kind words about my tribute to my brother, and your congrats on the article, your comments are sincerely appreciated!
Old January 5th, 2024, 03:53 AM

Meeting a family then headed norte
Old January 5th, 2024, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Meeting a family then headed norte
Safe travels Jim, have a great weekend!
Old January 5th, 2024, 06:36 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Watch out for boaters this weekend - Nick may have not recovered, yet.
Old January 5th, 2024, 01:18 PM

Add me to the list of watching Peter Jackson's documentary, very cool what he has done, and a great collection of WWI aircraft as well. I love that kind of stuff. I knew who he was from the Lord of The Rings movie triology. I may watch The Shall Not Grow Old dvd again tonight. We may have a bit of snow starting Tuesday, they still don't know how it will track. Supposed to get another system right behind it, so, snow right through the end of next week.
Old January 5th, 2024, 01:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
We may have a bit of snow starting Tuesday, they still don't know how it will track. Supposed to get another system right behind it, so, snow right through the end of next week.
Wet snow or dry snow?

Old January 5th, 2024, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
We may have a bit of snow starting Tuesday, they still don't know how it will track. Supposed to get another system right behind it, so, snow right through the end of next week.
Wet snow or dry snow?
Weatherman is calling for about an inch or so of wet snow here tonight, and more on Monday. Probably shouldn't accumulate much on the roads or grass, but probably on elevated surfaces.
Old January 5th, 2024, 02:14 PM
Running On Empty

I have I think three populations (herds) of deer numbering between 15 - 20. Each herd I believe is made up of the same age group. One herd (~5-6) are juveniles ~1-3 yrs of age, another (~5-6) I guess ~3-5 yrs of age & one other (~5-6) I guess maybe >4+ yrs of age. I've gone through 40lbs of corn & ~1/2 of a 25lb mineral lick block.
Old January 5th, 2024, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The bad wall guy was gone today and I had two guys that were just dynamite. Ended with 31 wheels. The whole place kicked *** and we were done after 1 and went home at 130. That's unheard of. Stopped by the Awful house and chatted with some friends and then came home.

So when I gave my friend that wagon I said I wanted the wheels back. They are rally wheels and I figure I could clean them up and put them on a Cutlass or something. Anyway when I was over at the shop looking at them(he had brought them back and put them there) I decided to see if I could get down the hill to the bottom of the property. I haven't been able to do that for years. I was able and was glad to. What I found, that I wasn't expecting, was that someone had taken down all my property markers and put another one up about 20 feet inside my property line. I had it surveyed when I bought the place. Looks like I need to have it surveyed again and install more permanent markers. I can't imagine why someone would do that. It's all unusable land down there, there's nothing to gain by stealing 20 feet from the neighboring property.

No real plans for the weekend. It's supposed to rain starting at 10 tonight and stop around noon tomorrow. So nothing outside. Maybe I'll get Mom to clean out that room so I can work in there some more. Or screw off, that sounds like fun.

Okay have a good evening.

Old January 5th, 2024, 03:03 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Great news on the wall guys.