The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2022, 08:09 PM
Always room for one more

Holy Toledo Greg. You really did that one up good. Prayers for continued recovery. And the car did its job.

Well here we are. Spent all evening here at the new place. Started out doing a little cleaning in the bathroom. Then I wiped the whole refrigerator down with bleach and got it all back together. Then we watched a movie. Second Hand Lions. It was a good movie but I thought it would be better.

I don't think Tiger likes it here. He's been restless all evening. Probably just being a different place. Hope he does okay tonight.

Time to hit the sack. Got a comfy couch to camp out on. See you all tomorrow.

Old January 22nd, 2022, 08:13 PM
Running On Empty

SphincterTingler69

Thats all I can say….
Old January 23rd, 2022, 04:47 AM

Thanks guys for all the well wishes. Slept pretty well last night. Buddy the puppy knows something is wrong and is very gentle around me but he wants to take care of me. I think he is a great dog! And my wife is my nurse, she really is the greatest. Well I'll prolly look around the site and add some stupid comments on everyone's threads. Sitting in easy chair with laptop my puppy warming pad.. not all bad.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 06:14 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Enjoy your day - you deserve it.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Greg - Enjoy your day - you deserve it.
^^^ x2
Old January 23rd, 2022, 06:57 AM

Greg X3

Glad you are on the mend
Old January 23rd, 2022, 10:49 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Well the camping trip didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. Got a lot done in the house, then settled into a movie. When it was time for bed, the couch wasn't as comfy as I had remembered and I didn't sleep very well. Tiger was up and down all night. The batteries in the thermostat went dead with the furnace running, so it never shut off. I woke up around 2 and it was 76 in the house. A bit warm for me. So I fiddled with it and got it to shut off. Well at 6 it was 50 and I said no way was I going to shower in a 50* house, so we packed up and came home. Crawled into my warm bed and slept till 10. There isn't anything like an adventure.

It is a beautiful day out. A bit cold, I don't think it's 50, but really nice. I bet I could find something to do outside so I can enjoy the day.

Peace

Old January 23rd, 2022, 10:52 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - You should have pitched a tent in the yard & made it a real camping trip.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 01:08 PM

Good afternoon guys,

We went to a family only B-day party for our oldest grandson Gabe who turned 9 yesterday. Man, it's so hard to believe he's that old already. We had lunch, cake and ice cream, and watched Gabe open his presents. Gabe has a 2nd party with some of his buddies this afternoon at one of those adventure parks that has trampolines, obstacle courses, and climbing walls. He was really looking forward to that.

Gabe opening presents with Mom, brother Keegan in the foreground. My oldest daughter Taylor is in the background holding our granddaughter Anna.

Gabe

Ollie who had his 3rd B-day last weekend.

Keegan, Gabe's younger brother who's also 3.

Old January 23rd, 2022, 01:21 PM
Running On Empty

I wouldn't mind being nine again - I think? I'd definitely take the lunch, cake & ice cream though.

The ice-storm is letting up with temperatures moving into the upper 30°F range - enough to begin melting ice from the ice-covered vegetation. I lost two large limbs on one tree - the remainder of the vegetative landscape "appears" OK, but we'll see. I have 40+ Azaleas and tons of other plants - we'll see.

I broke out of the house for a short trip to the grocery store(s) - there are only two in my puny town. I intend to make a homemade French vanilla cheese cake with fresh blueberry topping plus some lasagna noodles & egg noodles. Both stores were out of cream cheese and heavy cream. Evidently those items were in high demand prior to the ice-storm arrival since the grocery market store shelves were bare. I need to remember cream cheese as a staple (I guess) for any foreseeable future hurricanes. I guess it would make a decent enough staple for several - many days without power. Although, I do have a generator to run the refrigerator and a number of lamps when the power goes out. I guess tomorrow or Tuesday to pick up the cream cheese & heavy cream. I'm done sniffing painting fumes as the window trim has been painted.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 01:28 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - From what I can see in the photo Taylor appears to be providing a daunting glare directed towards Gabe. Such glare appears to suggest "...watch yourself, be careful buddy".
Old January 23rd, 2022, 01:43 PM

Chris - From what I can see in the photo Taylor appears to be providing a daunting glare directed towards Gabe. Such glare appears to suggest "...watch yourself, be careful buddy".
Norm - You know, I think you're right, I didn't pick up on that. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Gabe did or said something she was reacting to. Gabe is more than a little wild sometimes, and needs to be taken down a notch or two on occasion. He's a good, smart kid, but he's getting to the age where he can be a bit mouthy on occassion if he thinks he can get away with it.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - You know, I think you're right, I didn't pick up on that. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Gabe did or said something she was reacting to. Gabe is more than a little wild sometimes, and needs to be taken down a notch or two on occasion. He's a good, smart kid, but he's getting to the age where he can be a bit mouthy on occassion if he thinks he can get away with it.
He has a "Y" chromosome.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 02:19 PM

He has a "Y" chromosome.
Yes, he's definitely all boy! His Mom was/is pretty much a tom-boy, and very athletic.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 02:43 PM

Chris, Cute Grand kids

Ya know why grand kids and grand parents are so close? They share a common enemy
Old January 23rd, 2022, 02:44 PM
Running On Empty

Uh Oh. James is back - watch your language everyone.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 02:54 PM
Running On Empty

SphincterTingler69

I CANNOT make this stuff up...
Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, Cute Grand kids

Ya know why grand kids and grand parents are so close? They share a common enemy
James - Thanks for the kind comment on the grandkids! Amen, on the common enemy comment. When my girls were between the ages of 13 and 18, I thought I was going to end up in the looney bin. After they were out of college and started making their own way in the world, it's been amazing the attitude adjustment I've seen in them. I never thought I'd see the day, but I've even heard the words "Dad, you were right" come out of their mouths about multiple subjects. Just amazing!
Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:12 PM

Only 4 hours at work today. Went to the record store after work, bought some LP's, CDs, cassettes, and 8 tracks. Filled the ultrasonic cleaner with the correct amount of distilled water and I will be cleaning these records and my other stock built up that needs cleaning for about the next week, then I will drain the machine and put it away. The ultrasonic heats the water, so I really like to only clean about 4 records in a row in it, then let it cool back to ambient. It's got a fan for cooling the water that comes out at a certain temp, but I like to stop before then. The record starts to do a samba in the slot because it deflects with the heat then goes back to straight. I think that's a good way to warp a record. That machine, along with my brush/vacuum machine, and my record flattener, means I have about 80% of a professional record cleaning and de-warping service.

I got another SQ Quadraphonic module in the mail yesterday, time to plug this one in and see if it works, unlike my previous one which needs work.
Old January 23rd, 2022, 03:22 PM
Always room for one more

Uh Oh. James is back - watch your language everyone.
Does this mean I can't make an off-center comment about pitching my tent?

Well I haven't done squat this afternoon. Thought it would be a good idea to lay down for a minute, two hours later the phone wakes me up. But I see that it's well after 6 and there's still quite a bit of light in the sky. That's encouraging.

I went over to the house to collect the rest of my stuff, and put new batteries in the thermostat. The thing lit right up. I think I'm going to get a basic dial Tstat and put that up. I don't like these fancy digital ones, this one is already causing me grief. I went to swap the batteries with the one upstairs, different kind of batteries.

This guy on the MOPAR forum I look at has a bunch of dogs, and he has to males that he has to keep apart. The one got past him last night and the two males really went at it. He tried to break them up but he's old and sickly and had to let them fight it out. The one really took a beating, and wouldn't move all day. He said he wanted to take him to the emergency vet but couldn't lift him into the car. I said I would drive out and help him. He's in Covington, which is maybe an hour from me. He just called and said the dog perked up a little and went back outside to his doghouse. I told him to call if he needed me. Dogs.

Well time to find something for dinner then find something to do. Gonna call my Mom in a little bit. That will be enough for the evening.

Old January 24th, 2022, 03:30 AM

Mike, You might have better luck finding a Valiant Station wagon than an old style thermostat

Question Why do you think all military trailers have such a short tongue? [and are so hard to back up}
Old January 24th, 2022, 04:54 AM
Running On Empty

Balmy 35°F now, expected 46°F @ 11AM (tee-time) warming to a sweltering 52°F by 2PM. To play 18 or not to play 18 - decisions, decisions.

I replaced my thermostat x2 months ago with an identical/same thermostat. They have those old style thermostats (new) at the normal big lot stores.
Old January 24th, 2022, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, You might have better luck finding a Valiant Station wagon than an old style thermostat

Question Why do you think all military trailers have such a short tongue? [and are so hard to back up}
Decrease overall length for ease of transport, short convoys. The military has no shortage of grunts to spin a trailer around and reconnect it once you turned the truck around.
Old January 24th, 2022, 07:20 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

No sleeping in today even though I'm off. Tiger saw to that. Only a couple guys at the Awful house, but I was still there almost two hours.

Jamesbo that sounds like a riddle. I don't know, why are the tongues on military trailers so short? I would guess because you're not supposed to back up.

Pretty out, and the frost is starting to melt, even in the shade. But I hear more rain is coming. I get tired of rain real quick and I'm at that point now.

By the way, Valiant station wagons are everywhere, so maybe I won't have trouble finding a dial thermostat. Trouble is, I don't like the early Valiant wagons, and the later Valiant wagons are all in Australia. Or South Africa.

Today we're going to go over to the house and do some general clean up, and see if I can put some stuff away. I'm out of boxes so maybe I can reclaim a few. Also can test out the new batteries and see if the furnace will cycle like it's supposed to.

Peace

Old January 24th, 2022, 07:30 AM

Mike, Here's a new one. My Vista and 442 tag receipts came in. The Vista has one sticker on it and the 442 has 2 [which of course I can't pull apart]

I guess the machine spitting these out has the virus
Old January 24th, 2022, 08:00 AM
Always room for one more

Well, wear a mask when you put them on. They're a little late.

Old January 24th, 2022, 10:23 AM

Good afternoon guys,

As a former player and life-long fan, I have to mention what an incredible weekend it was for the NFL Divisional (NFC/AFC) semi-final playoff games. Three of the four games were decided in the last minute (or as time expired in 2 games), and the 4th game went to OT and was won on the initial drive on a touchdown by the Chiefs. In all my years of watching football, these 4 games were collectively by far the best Divisional semi-final games I have ever seen. The Chiefs/Bills game was the best and most exciting game I have ever seen, period, the whole game was like watching a highlight reel! Simply amazing!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old January 24th, 2022, 01:36 PM
Running On Empty

Absolutely gorgeous day playing 18 - I shot mediocre (what else is new). Managed to secure cream cheese & heavy cream to make a French vanilla cheesecake w/ blueberry topping this week. Massage therapy in the morning (9AM), tee-time tomorrow @ 10:46AM.
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:43 PM
Always room for one more

Did okay at the house today. Tiger was not enthused. The guy left a king size bed with a Temperpedic mattress and headboard and drawer pedestal. I got the mattress upstairs but needed to take the frame apart. So that got taken apart and moved upstairs. It took all afternoon so that's all I did. That will go in the guest bedroom after it gets painted.

Wasn't there someone amongst us looking for a Vista Cruiser not long ago? Or maybe it was long ago. I've decided I'm going to sell mine. I still like it but have no plans for it and it will be dust before I do anything with it. Like most people, it's a wreck but I want big money!

Gonna start the wind down for work tomorrow. I'm sure they're working early but I'm not going in. I'll save that for the rest of the week.

Old January 24th, 2022, 02:44 PM

Absolutely gorgeous day playing 18 - I shot mediocre (what else is new). Managed to secure cream cheese & heavy cream to make a French vanilla cheesecake w/ blueberry topping this week. Massage therapy in the morning (9AM), tee-time tomorrow @ 10:46AM.
Norm - I love cheesecake. I really like French vanilla with blueberry or cherry topping. However, I can make a mean Turtle cheesecake that has an Oreo crust, mini chocolate chips in the cheesecake, and a caramel/pecan topping that is absolutely my favorite!
Old January 24th, 2022, 02:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I love cheesecake. I really like French vanilla with blueberry or cherry topping. However, I can make a mean Turtle cheesecake that has an Oreo crust, mini chocolate chips in the cheesecake, and a caramel/pecan topping that is absolutely my favorite!

😊😊
Old January 24th, 2022, 03:01 PM

😊😊
I will definitely post a pic the next time I make one!
Old January 24th, 2022, 03:18 PM
Running On Empty

Wednesday, actually the remainder of the week through the weekend, all appear pretty dank. Time to fire up the lab equipment, follow the protocols and perform the experiments (fresh pasta & fresh cheesecake).

Protocol for Vanilla Cheesecake I'm following:

https://www.mybakingaddiction.com/vanilla-cheesecake/

Protocol for basic egg noodles is too simple to mention but I have the right lab equipment.

Old January 24th, 2022, 03:32 PM

Norm - I got the Mini Chocolate Chip Cheesecake recipe off of the Philly brand cream cheese box, and simply add some chopped pecans on top, with drizzled caramel ice cream topping over the pecans. Easy peasy!
Old January 24th, 2022, 04:05 PM

Forecast for today was 2-2 1/2" of snow. we got 11", and just for fun, my snowblower would not engage in any gear after doing about 75% of my driveway. Took the Hyundai in before the snow escapades, for routine oil change and tire rotation. Told me that my 5 year old battery was only putting out 448 CCA when it should be @ 800. They want $235.00 to replace. Seems that we had a discussion on battery life and cost awhile back. Reality comes home. The said that i need a ADM? battery and not wet acid. What is an ADM? While I was there, I checked on my phone at a couple of auto parts stores, and I have to have the ADM type (more expensive).
Old January 24th, 2022, 04:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Forecast for today was 2-2 1/2" of snow. we got 11", and just for fun, my snowblower would not engage in any gear after doing about 75% of my driveway. Took the Hyundai in before the snow escapades, for routine oil change and tire rotation. Told me that my 5 year old battery was only putting out 448 CCA when it should be @ 800. They want $235.00 to replace. Seems that we had a discussion on battery life and cost awhile back. Reality comes home. The said that i need a ADM? battery and not wet acid. What is an ADM? While I was there, I checked on my phone at a couple of auto parts stores, and I have to have the ADM type (more expensive).
Was he smoking herb? The battery is an AGM. You might use an ADM type battery on a kitchen faucet, or a photocell, but you won't use an ADM battery on a motor vehicle for starting an engine - it's an AGM battery.
Old January 24th, 2022, 04:36 PM

Dan, that's the first time I heard of a dealership checking the battery on a routine check up. It makes good sense for them, think how many batteries they will sell! I know there has been many threads on here that talk about long battery life. But I'm sure if you checked any 5 year old battery it would be about 50% of new or less. But most new vehicles start so fast that they continue to work just fine until they fail completely. So do you need a battery? If you want new performance, you do. Will it continue to work for 10 years as most newer batteries seem to do? No one knows.... Have you seen those threads where a guy likes gauges so he ads a set of gauges under his dash. He now sees his oil pressure is not as high as he thinks it should be, so should he rebuild the great running engine to get more oil pressure or should he ignore the gauge, or go back to the idiot light?? Kinda like that....
Old January 25th, 2022, 04:08 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo there's a 715 in BHM on craigslist, a bit steep if you ask me 12K, looks nice. I tried to get it to copy/paste but it wouldn't. Work computer probably wouldn't let it.

Old January 25th, 2022, 05:36 AM

Thanks Mike, I'm beginning to think people have gone completely crazy over any Military vehicles. The 1st M 38 A 1 I bought was $1800 and came with two bird dogs the best pointers I've ever had [Archie and Daisey}
Old January 25th, 2022, 06:41 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Snowblower: did your shear pin let loose? That is the first thing to check if the auger quit turning. EDIT: also check for an obstruction. Those shear pins snap if you suck up something, so you've likely got a foreign object jammed in there. Could be a rock, a stick, chunk of cement, newspaper. (those ones that they toss in your driveway, that no one ever asks for). I can't remember what broke my pin a few years ago, either a rock or one of those damn papers.

Battery: my '17 Lacrosse just had the battery replaced under warranty for a 2nd time. Took it in for malfunctioning rear view camera, which of course they couldn't replicate, but the ECU had stored several low voltage codes. Service tech recommended replacing. Service writer said that they have been seeing OEM battery life drop way down over the past few years.

Last edited by Weezer; January 25th, 2022 at 06:44 AM.