The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Kenneth, I did indeed mean maroon. I had no idea it came from Bugs Bunny. It is something I picked up because my one friend says it all the time.

Also Norm, the point is mute because it doesn't make any noise. But the point is moot because it doesn't matter. I know Jamesbo would want me to make that distinction.

I would call what's in the picture a semaphore. I think the two terms are interchangeable but I'm not sure. Probably different parts of Europe.

Growing up we didn't have a mud room in our house. We had a back porch and that's where we took our boots and whatnot off. When I would come up all snowy my Mom would tell me to take my pants off before coming in the house. I'm quite sure I never did. Really Mom.

Old January 20th, 2022, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Here's one for y'all. When I grew up, we called a house which had an anteroom at the backdoor a "mud room" and some called it a "slush room" (I suspect since the winter snow & ice often produced slush on your galoshes (boots). Most of you call this room a "mud room" (obviously the room where you took off your muddy shoes and such)?
I have repurposed the laundry room in my house, which, being off the kitchen, and having a door to the back, the driveway, the garage, and the basement, as well as the kitchen, is a busy little room for being an 18 foot L with the wide end being only about 8 wide. It had laundry hookups, but, so did the basement, so I moved the machines down under the stairs. I have a small pedestal sink, two chairs, a 9 foot church pew, and rough mat rugs for dirt collection in there. It is sort of an entryway / foyer, however, I do miss an actual foyer.

There's a problem to be solved with the following:
1. I want to use a front door of a home for entering and departing, as well as receiving guests.
2. I want to have my car in a convenient garage.

Usually, a convenient garage is attached, and you go in and out that way, not through the front door. I have lived in garages without attached garages, and I would use the front door then. Best solution, I think, is a garage to the side, attached to a breezeway, which would come to the front corner of the porch. One could then go in the front door, or go in a side door to the kitchen with groceries.
Old January 20th, 2022, 05:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
I can't hear what kind of point that is, Norm.
Oh geeze...that was quite the post for me! I'm indoors painting window(s) trim ((I mean sniffing paint fumes).
Old January 20th, 2022, 05:38 PM
Running On Empty

I have repurposed the laundry room in my house, which, being off the kitchen, and having a door to the back, the driveway, the garage, and the basement, as well as the kitchen, is a busy little room for being an 18 foot L with the wide end being only about 8 wide. It had laundry hookups, but, so did the basement, so I moved the machines down under the stairs. I have a small pedestal sink, two chairs, a 9 foot church pew, and rough mat rugs for dirt collection in there. It is sort of an entryway / foyer, however, I do miss an actual foyer.

There's a problem to be solved with the following:
1. I want to use a front door of a home for entering and departing, as well as receiving guests.
2. I want to have my car in a convenient garage.

Usually, a convenient garage is attached, and you go in and out that way, not through the front door. I have lived in garages without attached garages, and I would use the front door then. Best solution, I think, is a garage to the side, attached to a breezeway, which would come to the front corner of the porch. One could then go in the front door, or go in a side door to the kitchen with groceries.
My parents at one time had such a home & garage. They built an enclosed breezeway between the house & the garage. I was young but I recall it well. There were jealousy windows on both sides of the breezeway.
Old January 20th, 2022, 05:54 PM

Usually, a convenient garage is attached, and you go in and out that way, not through the front door.
This reminded me of a conversation with a garage door repair/maintenance fella several years ago. I was having the garage door springs replaced (not a simple DIY job with those torsion springs), and he wanted to know if we used the garage door for an entry/exit door. It factored into his determination of what springs to use on the door. He told me that folks who use their garage door as a front door wear the springs out a whole lot faster. We have always used the front door for pedestrian entry/exit and the garage door almost exclusively when moving a vehicle in or out.
Old January 20th, 2022, 06:12 PM
Always room for one more

I have lived in garages without attached garages, and I would use the front door then.
Really, because I've lived in garages with attached garages. No not really. This grammar police thing is fun.

All the time growing up we used the back door for entry into the house. If someone was at the front door they obviously didn't know us. All the houses I've lived in in Georgia it hasn't been feasible to enter the house through the back door. It kind of bugs me, because I prefer not using the front door.

I would like to have a drive under garage and then take an elevator to the living space. Or just drive into the living room.

Old January 20th, 2022, 06:45 PM
Running On Empty

I have lived in garages without attached garages...
That's something I honestly cannot say I've seen. I did live "above" a garage once in the servant quarters I rented from these people in Florida in Dade City though.
Old January 20th, 2022, 06:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
....just drive into the living room.
I have done that one. While in the USAF in California I rented a house off base. It was pretty much a dumpy old place. I used to ride my motorcycle through the front door and park it in the living room.
Old January 20th, 2022, 07:58 PM

Ah hah, I get bitten by myself.

I meant houses. I have lived in houses with and without attached garages.

Mike, you'd like my mother's house. 1 story of finished space, but it is on a hill, and the basement is side load garages. The woman has a 7 car basement, and stairs leading up in the middle of the basement to the main floor. She is considering an old person chair lift as she is aging gracefully.

Kenneth, I see what you mean on door cycles. My house has an attached garage, and a man-door going to it. I also have a man-door at 90 deg to the first one going out on the driveway. My house is side load garage, and I rarely use my front door, which is at the end of a walk. All those other doors enter the mud room described previously. My gist is I like a front door, in the middle, that is used, but I also like an attached garage, and, if one has the latter, one typically does not use the former.
Old January 20th, 2022, 08:23 PM

I suppose a main thing for me is I go out front to walk the dogs 2x daily, and the leashes, poop bags, sun hat (daytime), flashlight (nighttime), jacket (winter), and pepper spray (yes I carry that in case of another dog attacking mine) are all in the closet adjacent to the front door, so it’s just a lot more convenient to go out the front door as opposed to the garage door. And there’s closing then opening the garage door when we return. Can’t leave that open with all my stuff exposed to the world.
Old January 21st, 2022, 12:44 AM

Since I have a PhD in English, I think [in all fairness] I should recuse myself from this tread covering grammar

Headed norte, Have a great weekend Olds friends.
Old January 21st, 2022, 05:42 AM

Good morning guys,

Colder than a well diggers **** this morning, 5° at 0730, supposed to get up to about 27.

We both have our annual eye exams around noon, then a quick trip to the bank, and finally a trip to City Hall to pick up a check reimbursing me for my mailbox. Yes, believe it or not, they're reimbursing me for the full amount. Guess I should have bought a fancier one.

We've got basketball practice tonight and a game tomorrow at 1000 am. My grandson Gabe's 9th B-day party is on Sunday. It will be a full weekend.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend!
Old January 21st, 2022, 06:43 AM
Jeff

Ah... garages... finding something that would accommodate the Starfire was a condition during home shopping. I can't believe how many homes that were built in the mid 90's to early 00's that weren't long enough. Not to mention, here in MI (just like most of the US), we like our trucks. That was a real WTF issue, and will be again when the boys are done with school and we look to downsize and move. Anyway, this house has a side-entry garage, and the idiot contractors built the house too close to the other property line, so it's damn-near impossible to pull into the left side of my garage without several maneuvers. If they had built the house 24 inches to the east, it would be ok. I HATE IT. And, it doesn't have an entry door. I've had the springs replaced on the door twice in the 17 years we've been here.
Old January 21st, 2022, 11:46 AM

I had the same issues when house hunting. I learned to bring my tape measure so I could check if the Cutlass would fit, and surprisingly most of the houses failed. And those side entry garages with a 90º turn that you can't make with anything short of a go-kart. And a 3 car garage with 3 separate single wide doors and a pillar between each door???
Old January 21st, 2022, 12:04 PM

I have three wonderful garage spots here at my house. I just need about 8.
Old January 21st, 2022, 12:22 PM
Running On Empty

I would call what's in the picture a semaphore.
Referring to the device in the picture as a semaphore would not be incorrect. However, the device in the picture could not be employed as either a counting semaphore or a binary semaphore in digital computing. Although, both a counting semaphore & a binary semaphore direct traffic.
Old January 21st, 2022, 02:51 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Cold and dreary looking. I was just out buying a headlight and it's spitting rain now and again as well. Good night to stay in.

I might have mentioned some time ago that while living in my other house I had a 1959 Ford Skyliner. The Skyliner is several inches longer than a regular Galaxie and to get it in the garage I had to back in until the rubber ends on the bumper guards pushed into the drywall. There were several bumper guard holes in the back wall, that were there when I sold the place. The door would come down and you couldn't slip a dollar bill between it and the bumper, but it fit.

Koda I tried my best to buy a house with an 8 car basement and a rather large shop next to the house. The seller was really old and his agent couldn't talk sense to him, and he'd never accept my offer. We were always about 10K apart. Turns out he sold to someone else and was within 500 bucks of what I was offering. I didn't think the place was really worth what I was offering(it did appraise) but I liked that basement.

I don't remember without going back how many pages if I got into the drama of my new house, that I was sick of the shitty guy across the street and the yard ****'s and having to deal with them for the next eon and I was going to sell the place. Well, if I did then I'll tell you that I got everything squared away with the ****'s and I think my neighbors are going to say something to the other guy, and I've decided to keep the place and move in as soon as possible. The other guy still has things in the yard, I don't care, we closed in August for pity's sake. Tiger and I were going to go camp over there tonight but I was not prepared, so we'll do that tomorrow. Also start back taking stuff over.

Okay might be a movie night. Gonna bump up the heat a little. I really need to get up on the roof and clean out the chimney. I haven't run the stove yet this season. I've got a load of dry firewood waiting. But no railroad ties. Where's Greg.

Peace.

Old January 21st, 2022, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Yes, you have in fact written about the new house drama - on more than one occasion including your buddy across the street & the yard ****'s good intentions.

I suspected from the beginning the other guy (whom you bought the house from) with all his stuff still there was not going to end well. You should have had him remove all his $HIT from the get-go. The sooner you call him up to get over and remove his $HIT the sooner it will be gone. I would never put up with that $HIT. Phuque him - take it all to the dump.
Old January 21st, 2022, 04:24 PM

Actually snowed here for awhile as well. Must have been some warm air somewhere because it was big flakes. Looked like lake effect snow from up home. It's stopped now which is good because I was twitching so much I almost fell down.

Jamesbo that's a good system. I had a similar one when I was looking for my first apartment down here. I rode around and if a place had too many cars up on blocks then I kept looking. No joke. I had one of those apartment trader books and all the ones that said "On MARTA" I tore the page out and threw it away. I had been briefed on MARTA before I got here. The place I ended up with wasn't all that bad. Although my apartment faced the front and I lived down the street from the hospital so I heard sirens all day and all night.

Koda you gonna show us the video? When one of the airplanes gets some special paint job they set up a time lapse camera and record the work.

Lunch. Seems like a good day for Raman noodles and Frango mints.
I took the timelapse footage, and the camera makes a movie out of it based on settings. This is once a minute pictures showing at 30 fps, so one second of video is 30 minutes of activity. Normally timelapse video is 10 or 15 fps, but I had a week to cover in what I thought would be a short amount of time. This resulted in 48 seconds per day. I ran double shift operations, and typically cycled the camera to stop the clip and make a new one at shift change at 5pm. I ran the camera from Thursday night 12/23 (you can see the old machine running its last night in the beginning) and went until Sunday night 1/3.

I edited out a lot of no-activity (we had some single shift days near the end, that was weird footage, seeing time lapse of no one there, just air currents moving stuff around) and inactivity (some things like commissioning, programming, and troubleshooting are not interesting.) I then took the videos I had made with a small, cheap camera taped to a seat pallet and got action video going through the system. I sped it up 8x, edited out all the pauses, and only included enough of the EMS (electric monorail system, the yellow hangers) to get the idea. Splice it together, put in a title card, faded it out, and put in a Metallica instrumental because they usually do crap like Yakkity Sax on these.

I submitted it to be used in our department wide meeting next week....and they only want a 15 second clip to put in a video montage with the other clips. This really frosts my carbs, because I know they are going to put bullshit in like the vice presidents talking forever about their latest woke initiatives, or what they are doing at the headquarters. They always neglect those of us working at the plants; I think they somehow forget that it's the plants that work hard and make the money, and the HQ groups are usually as useless as **** on the proverbial boar. Anyway, enough griping from me, and the good news is that, since my employer doesn't want it, I can share it freely as it is copyright ME. I uploaded all the source footage for my vendor to use whatever they want, but I figured you all would just want the finished product, so it's an mp4 on my website, 65 MB, should download if you right click and save as, or stream if you just click on it. Worked in Firefox and OperaGX so far for me.

http://landofjohn.com/misc/SS3.mp4
Old January 21st, 2022, 04:35 PM
Always room for one more

That was pretty cool! Funny trying to actually watch the people working and they just disappear. I didn't realize it was that massive of a production.

Norm I've been sorry many times over I let that guy leave his stuff there. We're supposed to be friends so I was doing him a favor, not to mention we would have never closed if I waited for it all to be gone. He answers about 1 in five messages I leave him, so I'm just going to start disposing of the stuff and if he ever makes it back here he can take what I haven't gotten to yet. I'm guessing he's waiting me out, thinking that's what I will do and he won't have to.

Old January 21st, 2022, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

I took the timelapse footage....
I loved it. Nice job, John.
Old January 21st, 2022, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

That was pretty cool! Funny trying to actually watch the people working and they just disappear. I didn't realize it was that massive of a production.

Norm I've been sorry many times over I let that guy leave his stuff there. We're supposed to be friends so I was doing him a favor, not to mention we would have never closed if I waited for it all to be gone. He answers about 1 in five messages I leave him, so I'm just going to start disposing of the stuff and if he ever makes it back here he can take what I haven't gotten to yet. I'm guessing he's waiting me out, thinking that's what I will do and he won't have to.
You told me on the phone just prior to your purchase while you were negotiating the home sale you were friends with the guy. Ugh, I hate to say it but I used to have a friend just like this. They have a completely different set of priorities by which they live. They seem to float through space.
Old January 21st, 2022, 06:18 PM

seeing time lapse of no one there, just air currents moving stuff around
Poltergeists!

That was a great video. If your company doesn't use that in some venue they are maroons.

Last edited by Fun71; January 21st, 2022 at 06:22 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 05:37 AM

You told me on the phone just prior to your purchase while you were negotiating the home sale you were friends with the guy. Ugh, I hate to say it but I used to have a friend just like this. They have a completely different set of priorities by which they live. They seem to float through space.
Mike try these guys

https://www.1800gotjunk.com/us_en
Old January 22nd, 2022, 05:58 AM

I took the timelapse footage, and the camera makes a movie out of it based on settings. This is once a minute pictures showing at 30 fps, so one second of video is 30 minutes of activity. Normally timelapse video is 10 or 15 fps, but I had a week to cover in what I thought would be a short amount of time. This resulted in 48 seconds per day. I ran double shift operations, and typically cycled the camera to stop the clip and make a new one at shift change at 5pm. I ran the camera from Thursday night 12/23 (you can see the old machine running its last night in the beginning) and went until Sunday night 1/3.

http://landofjohn.com/misc/SS3.mp4
John - Wow, really cool video! You Da Man!
Old January 22nd, 2022, 06:38 AM
Running On Empty

Still being beaten up with an ice-storm - unprecedented in this area over the past 25 years (supposedly). I have never witnessed an ice-storm in the 21 years I have resided here. This is very similar to ice-storms I have witnessed elsewhere in the country (e.g. 1967 ice-storm in the mid-west). The absolute best news is the power has remained on - it went out several times last night and again this morning but came back on in very short order. Obviously, there is ice everywhere and all vegetation is covered in it. It's going to remain very cold (for this area), but it appears the formation of ice, sleet, rain is over. Managing to get through this without loss of power has been a relief.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 06:58 AM

Norm - Sounds like some real crap! Not much you can do until it's warm enough to thaw. Sounds like a good day for movies if your power stays on, and hopefully it will. Be careful!
Old January 22nd, 2022, 07:27 AM
Always room for one more

Aloha

My overtime was cancelled for the weekend. Not happy about it but hey I got the whole weekend to myself. It's cold out but the sun is out so that helps. I think we're supposed to see not cold temps(50?) today.

I should call those guys Keith. A lot of what I need gone are tires, I wonder if they'd take them. If I had a machine that could shred tires I'd be golden. I could use it as mulch.

Norm are all your power lines above ground or below ground? In my neighborhood they are up on poles running down the streets. It looks ugly as hell. Oddly enough, in my new neighborhood they are all underground. I suppose a tall airplane could be going down the street and get tangled up. It looks a lot nicer that's for sure.

Okay so here's another fly in the ointment. My friend used to work on cars out of his house, and there's a car there that's been sitting for over two years. The owner was told the house was sold and he needs to come get it. There's another car whose owner is out of the country. There's two parts cars that belong to the friend. My feeling is the two owned by [I don't know who] are getting hauled off. They were abandoned on property I purchased. The parts cars I'm going to send to the recycler. Maybe I'll get a couple bucks to help offset getting rid of all the other crap. There's actually another lift out laying in the mud. Maybe if I clean it up and set it up I could get it to work. Wouldn't that be a kicker, two lifts in the garage!

Well I guess I better get ready for the day. Got lots to do at the house today and then me and Tiger are going to camp out there tonight. That will be fun.

Peace.

Old January 22nd, 2022, 07:36 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - Sounds like some real crap! Not much you can do until it's warm enough to thaw. Sounds like a good day for movies if your power stays on, and hopefully it will. Be careful!
Chris - I'm indoors sniffing paint fumes (painting window trim) - I have a good buzz going.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 07:40 AM
Running On Empty

Norm are all your power lines above ground or below ground? In my neighborhood they are up on poles running down the streets. It looks ugly as hell. Oddly enough, in my new neighborhood they are all underground. I suppose a tall airplane could be going down the street and get tangled up. It looks a lot nicer that's for sure.
Okay so here's another fly in the ointment. My friend used to work on cars out of his house, and there's a car there that's been sitting for over two years. The owner was told the house was sold and he needs to come get it. There's another car whose owner is out of the country. There's two parts cars that belong to the friend. My feeling is the two owned by [I don't know who] are getting hauled off. They were abandoned on property I purchased. The parts cars I'm going to send to the recycler. Maybe I'll get a couple bucks to help offset getting rid of all the other crap. There's actually another lift out laying in the mud. Maybe if I clean it up and set it up I could get it to work. Wouldn't that be a kicker, two lifts in the garage!
Well I guess I better get ready for the day. Got lots to do at the house today and then me and Tiger are going to camp out there tonight. That will be fun.
Peace.
Mike - Power lines around here are all elevated on poles. When I think of your trials/tribulations Sanford & Son often come to mind.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 10:19 AM

Chris - I'm indoors sniffing paint fumes (painting window trim) - I have a good buzz going.
Well, that doesn't sound like much fun, except maybe the head buzz.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 10:53 AM
Always room for one more

Nah Norm it isn't that bad. But that $hit definitely needs to go. I'm debating whether or not to try calling that guy one last time. I mean, he never answers me and he knows all that stuff has to go. I'm thinking phuque it and just call the dumpster.

It is really pretty here. Only around 40 but I worked up a sweat carrying things out to the car. Gonna go turn on the furnace and the water heater. It will be comfortable in there by tonight but I don't know how long a water heater takes to warm up from ambient. I might have a quick shower in the morning.

Well I'm already one up on myself. The Suburban needed a headlight, which I picked up yesterday, and I installed it this morning. Now I can drive in the dark. I could before but the cops around here don't seem to have much to do and that's one of their favorite infractions. So now I'm good.

Old January 22nd, 2022, 11:17 AM
Running On Empty

Gonna go turn on the furnace and the water heater. It will be comfortable in there by tonight but I don't know how long a water heater takes to warm up from ambient. I might have a quick shower in the morning.
Stolen directly from the Internet:

A 50-gallon hot water heater with 5,500-watt elements set to 120 degrees takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes to heat water coming in to the unit at 60 degrees. Conversely, when the water entering this same tank is 40 degrees, it takes 1 hours, 47 minutes to heat it up
Old January 22nd, 2022, 01:36 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Norm. I was over there about an hour and I already had warm/hot water at the tap. It's a gas water heater so it should heat up pretty quickly.

I've got the place all set up for tonight. Got some chores to do this evening, then we'll settle in for a movie, and I'm going to bring snacks. In the morning we can see what the trip to Awful house will be like from the new place.

Trying to decide what I want for my dinner. I'm thinking pizza. I was going to be gone to my Mom's this weekend so I let all the food run out, but now I'm here and I don't want to go to the store until Monday. Then the same thing for next weekend, going to my Mom's and I don't want a bunch of stuffing sitting around while I'm gone.

Really nice out. It's been so dim these last several days it's nice to have sunshine.

Old January 22nd, 2022, 03:50 PM

Gas heater is almost functionally warm at pilot light only. It will heat up fast. Electric takes the time Norm said to full, usable in about half that time.

I did turn mine up a notch off the bottom electrical temp because I would run out of hot water in the winter as I blend it more as the incoming water is cold. Plus, I know it's running out as I have to turn it hotter and hotter to maintain temp near the end.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 04:57 PM

--Hi guys, Just got back from Chelsea Hospital to have the tumor removed from the bottom of my left kidney. It went really well. So far the worst thing was the fire hose they called a catheter! Oh My, I hated that. Anyway catheter is removed and I am back home. I have 5 holes in my left side towards the back about waist height. One is a lot bigger than the rest that is the one that the tumor was taken out of. The doctor said it was clear cell renal carcinoma, it was about the size of a ping pong ball. I must say everything went better than I expected. He said it was contained and hopefully that will be the end of that....
-- So then on the way home from Chelsea we made it almost all the way home and got into a auto accident!! Wifey was driving and she did well. It had started to snow but wasn't slippery- then-. We were traveling about 70 MPH going north on US 127 where the US10 entrance comes on. went under a bridge and around a curve and it was ice. There was a fire truck with lights in right lane but you couldn't see it until you rounded curve. She hit brakes and the antilock started working and she could maintain control and missed the fire truck and firemen that were out by truck but then did hit a old pickup in the right lane. I was sure airbags would go off but they didn't.. Ended up about 2 ft behind the fire truck. There was a police officer there who wifey gave her license and registration and explained to him that her passenger was just coming back from surgery and he let us go on our way. Car drove OK so took old highway rest of way home. Looked at it real quick and see hood it buckled and ft plastic bumper is messed up. But held coolant rest of way home. In my state right now I will take a quick look and take some pics tomorrow . Ah such is life.....
Old January 22nd, 2022, 06:27 PM

Good Lord, man. Go get some sleep, that's enough for 3 days, let alone 1.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 06:29 PM

Greg, glad to see that they got the tumor, and that the accident was minor, with no injuries.
Old January 22nd, 2022, 06:40 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - In olden days you’d have a good 6” incision and bedridden for a week. I worked with a surgeon who taught Laparoscopic surgery. Glad to hear it went well. Cheesecake is the fastest road to recovery. 😎
Old January 22nd, 2022, 07:04 PM

Greg - Glad the surgery went well and your prognosis sounds good! Bad luck on the accident, but glad neither of you were injured! Rest up pardner!