The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2016, 08:30 PM

Old August 1st, 2016, 08:40 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Been swamped with work and home projects so not much time on here lately.

One project was that I hired a crew to come over to the house last week and take down 4 trees. A couple were huge. Didn't want to remove them, but they were too close to the house and I worried about another hurricane or big storm taking one down. We've had Hurricane Irene in 2011 and Superstorm Sandy in 2012, both did a lot of damage around here and I'm sure another is coming soon, we're due. Had them chip all the wood so I've been spreading it around the yard. Probably put down 20 yards already.

Been dry and hot here for the last 2 weeks +, 90's and no rain. Lawn pretty much has dried up to a crisp in many areas. Finally got some rain about 2 days ago, but we're way behind where we should be.

Clint - what concert did you go to Wyoming to see?

Inline - haven't seen an 8 track player in a long time!

Dan - haven't seen the first version of Italian Job, only the 2nd. Have to go look for it at my library. Love the skeleton picture, how true!

Well, heading off to bed, have a good night all.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:38 AM

mawn'in

Got a little thunderboomer las nite

Mike, Hope de pups didn't wig out

I really never wanted a tank but I would love to have a Rat Patrol jeep with a 50 cal on it

For you youngsters what never heard of the Rat Patrol

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:10 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had dinner with my sister and her husband last night. They both work for the same company and were in town so we went to my(our) favorite pizza place. Was a really nice time.

Rain has been here and there the past few days. Always one or two thunders so the dogs go nuts. Not sure if it's going to rain today, but everything is muddy so no mowing.

Jamesbo I've heard of the Rat Patrol but haven't heard of any of the people in it.

Darrell I had four trees taken out of my yard a couple years ago. They were all huge. One was leaning towards the house and very close, the others were just annoying. Looked like a different yard when the guy was done. Instead of hauling everything off, which would have cost me a bunch, he cut most of it up and I split it for firewood.

Gonna be a Walmart day after Awful house. Not sure what else. One thing is my neighbor got a bunch of degreaser on his driveway and it made a big white spot. I think it will come off with the pressure washer but I don't know for sure. He wants me to try. I need to go to the junkyard either today or tomorrow.

Okay everyone have a good Hump Day.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:36 AM

Mawn'in all

Pick'in up limbs from the storm then more yard werk today.

I guess our friend Clint is still unplugged.

I hate to say it but after looking at a few pics of
Eleanor I think she's a sharp looking car. I think I'll put my desire for an Eleanor in another corner and wait fer it to go away.

Let me see Testarossa in one corner, Amphi in another corner, 69 W-30 drop top in another corner, new gull wing Mercedes in another corner.
I'm kinda runn'in outa corners.

Welp GTG daylights burning

Have a
GREAT day Olds friends
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:40 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all... retaining wall contractor already a half hour late, so no surprises there. I'll have B4 & after pics. Sure hope they come out good, as we're paying a small fortune to have it done once, and once only.

Mike, me loves a helper! Great score. Week almost over for you.

We actually rode our new mountain bikes in the mountains (Jack Rabbit on Saturday) and didn't wind up in the Chatuge Emergency Ward, so all's good... It was fun; but we both have a long way to go as far as proficiency goes. The bikes are nice.

Jamesbo, when we were in grammar school (later years), some days we'd "play" Rat Patrol (without the Jeeps and cannon, of course) and other days, it was Man From UNCLE. The fun was always who could make the sound of the firing gun the best. It usually wound up having multiple syllables (ga-DOODJ!)

Should be interesting so see when this guy even calls.

Y'all have a great Humpity, Olds friends.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:14 AM

Lol that Rat Patroll looks hilarious... I quess its time isnt at this decade..

Eleanor is beautiful car. Id like to own one too.

BY THE WAY; speaking of Eleanor. I dont know if this is only Finland specific thing, or am i imagining things; but somehow ive come to conclusion that big motors wasnt "the thing" at Ford even they had some marvelous big-cube engines. Mostly i see 302's and 351 variations, and 351 variations seems to be the "big thing" instead of those 429's etc. Up here, at both GM and Mopar the big blocks get all the hype, but at Ford 351's seems to get most of the hype.
Whats the truth?

Today we stopped early since tomorrow is day+night. Then its Holiday week!!
Yesterday i was almost to midnight at work.

While driving back home on highway, i tried something what we call here, freely turned to english, " top the speedo". I got my Cutlass to 110mph, but couldnt reach the top of 120mph on my speedo, just run out of oomph. Have to say, im a bit disappointed

Soon to sauna. God ive been waiting for it. And beer!

Ps. Whats Hump day/ Humpity?

Last edited by Inline; August 3rd, 2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:59 AM

Inline, Rat Patrol was a television series in the late sixties. As far as Ford motors, the 428 Cobra Jet was probably their best street motor back in the day, though the 351 was the bread & butter engine found in the majority of the Mustang Mach I's. The 302 was the high revving small block which competed with the Camaro Z/28, these were a track bred car meant for curves not the quarter mile. The Boss 429 was their answer to the Hemi, but it was not a good street motor, too clogged up with emissions and poor breathing (restrictive exhaust), the guys that bought these went to the track where they could open up the exhaust with headers. The best small block that they had was the one year only 1971 Boss 351, which was almost as quick in the quarter mile as the 428 CJ (13.60's were pretty common), but by the time that they came out with it, the beginning of the end of the musclecar era was upon us, and the new body style kept sales down.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:50 AM

Okay. Thanks for deep clarification! Hemi is next to god here. Then id say Mopar 440, By Chevy 454 following closely.

Well that late sixties thing with Rat Patroll explains alot...
Its like 5 decades ago. Times have changed alot since then. It really is weird how im starting to feel myself old even im not old at all. I just cant stand nowadays music, nowadays way of life, dont like almost anything what they do today, old fart eh?
Wifey is totally different to me; but we make a good couple together. Except we cant listen eachothers music...

Last edited by Inline; August 3rd, 2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 11:08 AM

Inline, You can go a little further back with the Ferd engines. The 64 1/2 Rustang was the el cheapo of all el cheapos.$2,368.00 Came with a 6 but had a few million options to add $$ to the price. The Top of the line High Performance 289 NO ONE wanted because it came with a 90 day warranty. I say most of them had a 260 or a 289

Folks feel free to correct me cause I'm old and can't remember $hit
Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:03 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. 78 today and it felt more like fall than summer. We had been in the 90's for weeks which reminded me of being in Florida on vacation in the beginning of July.

On the car front, I had to deal with some frustrating issues on my 85 Riviera. I needed to put in another steering box and idler arm as the original was loose as a goose and leaking all over the place. After putting it in, I had to adjust the tie rods since the new idler arm was clocked slightly differently. The tie rods were original and pretty much frozen. Had to put a pipe wrench on them and after I heated them up I got them to move. Little did I know that my idler arm moved up (where it is mounted on the frame) and when I test drove it, the car was all over the place. First bump I hit over 50 was an adventure as the front and rear of the car was completely unbalanced. I figured it out and readjusted the idler arm height to match the pitman arm and it was back to normal. Crazy, never experienced that before. I still don't like the new box, I have to adjust it because it doesn't feel good on center.

Mike - I don't have a fireplace so I didn't need the firewood. If I did, I would have been set for years. I did get some more mulch spread out, but I still have another 15 yards + to move around.

Jamesbo - I have a large framed poster of Eleanor hanging up in my garage. One of my favorites, I would take one in a heartbeat.

Inline - I feel the same way as you about all the same things. I have young kids yet I feel like an old man because I don't like most things about today; cars, politics, values, etc. "The inmates are running the asylum."

Well, heading off to bed, have a good night all.

Last edited by OLD SKL 69; August 3rd, 2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old August 4th, 2016, 05:33 AM

Mawn'in all

Overcast and a mite cooler.

Werk in de yard/cemetery all day yesterday. May hit a few more licks dis mawn'in

Mike, I think ya need an ISO Grifo also. It's a beautiful car. I've seen exactly one in all my days. It was in an apartment garage on my paper route. I guess I spent too much time admiring

it so people got their papers a little late

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:39 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Went to buy tables today. They are about 50 bucks for a 6 foot plastic table. Nix. I'm going to use old doors and saw horses.

Jamesbo that is a nice looking car. I liked the last one, the BorgWard Isabella. Which car was it that was Italian but had a Chevy motor?

Making plans to go visit Reno. I haven't volunteered at the museum for a long time, I think it's time to go out there before they forget who I am. Besides, I feel like polishing a V12 Jeep.

Rain coming this afternoon, gonna do some mowing and other yard type activities. Last day off, have to make it count.

Okay everyone have a good one.
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:01 AM

The ISO did Mike
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Always room for one more

Hey how 'bout that. Best of both worlds. Beautiful Italian styling and American performance. No 6 carbs to keep balanced or taking the engine apart to change the cam belts.
Old August 4th, 2016, 11:40 AM

I'm fairly certain to change belts on a Testarossa ya have to pull the engine aproxiamtely 36 hours ay plumbers rates
Old August 5th, 2016, 06:02 AM

Mawn'in all

Muggy

Got most of the yard, cemetery, garden werk done yesterday. Can't make up my little mind what's on de agenda fer today

Speak'in of craming Detroit V-8's into european cars. Let's not forget the Sunbeam tiger with a Ferd 260

Mike, While ya go sum extra walkin around money ya need one of these fer your stable also

Have a GREAT day Olds friends

Old August 5th, 2016, 06:57 AM

The Sunbeam Tiger was an awesome little car. I'd like to have one.

I went to war on my lot yesterday. Had not mowed in 4 weeks. Got half the yards done, and laid down 2 gallons of Roundup solution. Will get the back yard today.
Old August 5th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Hello.

Well, its Holiday, but im tired as hell. Have a nice weekend guys.
Old August 5th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice and hot. The rain we were supposed to have the last couple days never materialized. It's supposed to come this weekend and Monday.

Damn shame about that Octania fellow. I never had any dealings with him but I know he was a favorite around here. May God comfort his family.

John are you still up yonder? Did the stone guy ever come out?

Jamesbo if I had one of those I could be Get Smart. I think Minilites would look good on a Yugo.

I must think I have too much money. There's two cars I wouldn't mind having, one is a 67 442 that is listed on this site, another is a 56 Super 88 that is about a stone's throw from my Mom's house. Don't know which one I like better.

Well it's my Monday. Haven't heard anything to the contrary, so I'm guessing it will be business as usual. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old August 5th, 2016, 09:16 PM

Mike, I just saw the post on Chris on another thread, a damn shame, I met him at Homecoming about 5 years ago.
Old August 6th, 2016, 01:09 AM

Good Morning.

Slantflat- Yugo? You guys have heard about those? I thought nobody even remembers them anymore, ive personally seen many of those on old Yugoslavian countries, but didnt never believe you would have heard about them.

Well, its Holiday. Going to take my wifey to dinner at restaurant today, should make her happy. Then were going to do short Holiday trip, like 4 days, since i have other things what i have at Holiday too. Probably going to Klaipeda, Lithuania. Will see.

Yesterday i made my grandmother really happy as it seemed. Since her husband had passed away few weeks earlier, and me knowning he didnt have too much money, and her love to sports, i did go shop after work and bought him a new 40" TV to replace her old 24" what she could even barely see. A small thing that made the world for her, since the Olympics just start. Made me also really happy.

Shame for Octanias family, crushing way to leave the world and people near you, at sudden accident.
Old August 6th, 2016, 04:07 AM

Morning folks, off to the Gilmore for the Red Barns Spectacular, pics to follow.
Old August 6th, 2016, 06:16 AM

It's a shame about Chris. Nice guy and Olds guru
Old August 6th, 2016, 01:23 PM

Evening all.

The Yugo was possibly one of the worst cars ever made, they were a complete joke, but some people still bought them. You could pick up a tidy ten year old model for no more than 200 bucks.

Busy day detailing the Alpina today. I have been invited to be one of the show cars for the 100 years celebration of BMW next weekend at the British motor museum at Gaydon. Afterwards we are making the number 100 out of our cars and drones will be making a film of it.

Antique shopping tomorrow as I'm doing a bit of design work on one of my commercial properties. Then back to work on Monday, not sure when I'm going to fit in a bit of rest time!!

Have a great weekend all.
Old August 6th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

London I had to look up the Alpina. What a beautiful car. That goes on the list, too. Nice that BMW asked you to be part of the festivities. I've never owned a BMW.

Dan hope the Gilmore was a good time.

So I'm sleeping and the doorbell rings. Dogs go crazy. With all the crap I have in the yard, and the car parked across the sidewalk, and the maze that needs to be gone through to get to the front door, I wondered who was persistent enough to do all that. Sitting here looking at the front door I see a phamplet of some sort stuck through the crack. Hope they didn't scratch anything while approaching uninvited.

Gotta leave a little early today to put gas in the car. One thing I've noticed, everything needs gas all at once. I can go for weeks without putting gas in anything, but then when something needs it, everything needs it. Very strange.

Okay Night 2 is upon me. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
Old August 6th, 2016, 04:50 PM

Well, I'm waiting for my pics to "sync" on Picasa before I can post the link, for some reason the last couple of times that I have done it, it has taken hours, when previously it used to take about 45 minutes, so I'm gonna watch "Smokey an the Bandit" on CMT.
Old August 6th, 2016, 07:10 PM

Good morning everyone. Its as early as if i would be going to work. Ferry dont wait. Should be nice trip with Cutlass, little over 1000 miles.

Happy weekend and week everyone, im probably visiting here again next friday when were back home.
Old August 6th, 2016, 09:52 PM

Old August 7th, 2016, 03:55 AM

Didn't know if y'all caught this and or had any additions

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...necrology.html
Old August 7th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, Hombres.... Back 600 mi. to the flatlands safely yesterday, thanks be to the Man upstairs and a Fusion that just turned 100K. It wouldn't be the car I'd personally buy new, but aside from a couple recalls, it's been pretty dern good for 6 yrs. I guess most cars nowadays are pretty good iffin' you take care of 'em. Lord knows this thing loves its Mobil 1 every 6 months.

Gene fell again last week, so no St. Joe for us. I'm still planning on going up & spending a little time with the guy, hoping I can lift his 87-y.o. spirits a little. He was SO looking forward to showing that '55 Coupe deVille; it was to be fairly prestigious event. Oh, well. He didn't break anything, but at that age with two new knees, it's a pretty slow road to recovery, if you make it at all. Right now, I'd say the light at the end of the tunnel is pretty dim.

Anyhoots, I just made a Flickr "collection" of a few mountain pic's I took this year if anybody'd like to take a gander.

See y'all soon.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 7th, 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old August 7th, 2016, 04:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a brief rain event this afternoon, complete with lightning and thunder, but it didn't last very long. Now it's sunny and people are out on the lake.

John glad you had a good trip home. Early in my Atlanta living I went to the auto show and some professor had about a dozen Yugo's that had been repurposed into such things as an outhouse and a film theater. Those are the only two I can think of at the moment. Probably one was a phone booth. Poor cars at best but they did have a following.

Dan the link wouldn't work for me either for the pictures. Hope you had a good time.

Was home and in bed by 330 this morning. Why can't that ever happen on my Friday. Well, I'll take it when I can get it. Wouldn't mind a repeat performance tonight. And tomorrow which is my Friday.

Okay off to it. Hope everyone has a good starting out to their week.
Old August 7th, 2016, 04:19 PM

I reloaded the pics from my memory card, so when it's done syncing, I'll try to post the link again, it was acting weird yesterday, first Google Photos asked for a sign in, which i never had to do before, then it did not recognize my email address, then my pswd, all is good there tonight. I did succeed in posting them a second time on FB on the 442/W30 group. Jamesbo, I did see that thread, just sad to see our friends gone.
Old August 8th, 2016, 03:46 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Well all vacations must come to an end. we had a good time for the most part. got to ride around in some beautiful country, got to meet some really neat people, and spent a lot of time with my beautiful bride and daughter.

So now it's back at it and try to find a new employee.

I'm guessing Mike has a couple bucks burning a hole in his pocket?

Bummer to read about Octania.

Have a Monday all.
Old August 8th, 2016, 04:40 AM

Mawn'in

Well lookie ere Clint's back. Glad cha had a good time

Monday so guess what?

John, Glad you're home safe Now [as my mother used to say] " A word to the wise is sufficient"

GET Rid of the bike. Chis was killed when he hit a dog running lose in the road on his. Picture bears, deer, etc

Nuff said
Have a GREAT and safe day Olds friends
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Captain Starfire

Muggy in da' Swamp.

Welcome back, Clint.

Whackem good, Jamesbo. Gotta' keep the Yammie fer now. Haven't been on it in 5-6 weeks, and am ultra careful when I do; but I know I don't completely control my fate when I get aboard.

Those really are some gorgeous cars y'all been postin'.

Inline, the SuperCutlass is lookin' fine....

Mike, I worked with a guy in the late 80s who had a Yugo. I actually liked the guy, but the Yugo seemed to match a few of his personality characteristics. I'm sure it's been in a boneyard for decades.

Whelpt, y'all have a great one, Olds friends.
Old August 8th, 2016, 01:21 PM

SuperCutlass, lol?
Just super quick visit on a lousy wifi connection. Already racked up almost 750 miles on Cutlass, and had a great time so far. Interesting country, have to say.

Cya.
Old August 8th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Friday. Last night was good, hope tonight is better. We have a new lead who was a Level 10 manager that wasn't doing his job, so he got demoted to midnight lead. He just doesn't get it. Wants us to sign off stuff that isn't right/done, has us go look at stuff 15 minutes before going home, has no clue what people are talking about. We need to do something about him.

Clint welcome back. It's not that I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I just have the bug to get something. Strange since it hasn't been all that long. Wonder if I started working on something I already have if that would be the same.

Nice pictures Dan. I haven't been to a good car show in I don't know how long.

John is Gene immobile? Can you take the Cadillac to the show with him as the passenger? I know the plan was to take multiple cars.

Jamesbo I got a bike not long after I moved here. A big Harley FL. I never did feel safe in Atlanta traffic. No one looks. It gave way to a convertible.

Okay gonna hit the bricks. Have a good evening everyone.
Old August 9th, 2016, 01:26 AM

http://m.blocket.se/dalarna/Oldsmobi...7_68401255.htm

Good morning. For sale on our neighbourghs.
Old August 9th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all....

Nuther muggy one in da' Swamp. Couldn't come close to cutting the grass after 2 weeks away, since it's like a bog out there. Rained half the night Sunday night and into Monday a.m.

Newsflash: Delta canceled my flight to MI. Mike, did you have anything to do with that computer crash? Somebody told me you were downloading videos of Russian tanks crushing Yugo's when it happened.

So no Gene, at least today. We'll have to see what happens, but I doubt I'll make it up there this year at this point.

Gene's mobile with his walker now... he was down to cane before the last fall. It takes a long time to recover from these things at his age, but I have to say -- he's persistent and keeps a stiff upper lip. Poor guy... I really feel for him. In retrospect, they should never have given him that second knee so quickly. But it's all hindsight now.

Whelpt, y'all have a great tiistai Olds friends.