The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2016, 07:24 AM

John, Hope you're OK, it looks like deja vu all over again in LA
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Captain Starfire

Hey, folks. Yeah, we're good down here. Thanks for checking.

Since the trip to MI was canceled, I was able to go to a previously scheduled shower for my niece's baby, due in October. Woo hoo! That was in St. Charles Parish, near my middle brother's house -- about 45 minutes away. We didn't encounter a single flooded road on the trip ... mostly b/c it's mostly south of us -- rather than north or west.

Those events are never fun for me, but at least the niece's hubby is superb at the grill; food was scrumptious. I overate, of course. One of the many things he cooked were a couple of beef briskets that (IMHO) were award winning. I just wish I'd have stopped there. But of course I had to sample the grilled chicken, potato salad, veggie casserole, baked macaroni, coffee, + dessert. 8 hours later I was still full, but had a banana + milk before bed just for the heck of it.

Inline, that concrete I shovel is the crushed concrete I buy to fill holes in my gravel road -- and speaking of which: it's really taken a beating after the monsoon. I need to get out there tomorrow and pick up where I left off last month with the shovel and wheelbarrow.

Meanwhile, a lot of folks not too far away are still in danger of flooding due to rising rivers, and of course a lot of them have already been flooded. But the crests should all occur today, so if they can old on a few more hours, the danger should be over.

Y'all stay dry, Olds buds.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; August 14th, 2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old August 14th, 2016, 03:05 PM

Inline, that car flipping is all too common around here, there is a dealer who sends employees to car around the state of Michigan and northern Indiana and Ohio to visit car shows so they can by low and sell high. One from Detroit drove to a car show about 50 miles north of me, which for them was a four hour road trip, where out of about 50 cars, they bought a '69 GTO Ram Air III...to sell after changing the paint color from brown to black so it would sell faster. This is why I really despise the classic cars sellers, as I believe it contributes to high car prices.
Old August 14th, 2016, 03:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah, Friday. Early week since I have tomorrow off. I'm headed to Florida at O"Dark thirty on Tuesday.

Dan I agree with you about "classic car" dealers. Oft times poorly worked over wrecks. Ads laden with wrong information. Or the ever-popular car "museum," where all the cars are for sale. And they charge you admission to go in and look!

John hope the floods still evade you. Are you getting anything done on the Starfire? What about the Buick?

I've been driving the Cadillac to work every day since I got the wheels put back on. Yesterday the guy at the gate said he wanted to buy it from me, and would I consider selling it. Sure I'd sell it, not sure how serious he was. He actually did sound a little serious. Maybe he'll be there again tonight. I wouldn't mind selling that car, I tried before without much luck, eh who knows.

Okay time to hit it. Have a good week starting out everyone.
Old August 14th, 2016, 08:04 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening all. Been busy the last few days with work and getting the 85 Convertible ready for a show in Hershey, PA. I'm amazed I got it ready in time, seemed like everything wanted to give me trouble. It has air suspension in the rear and the compressor kept running and I could not find the leak. It turned out that the rear air line was cracked. Replaced it and all was good. Then, as I drove it around, I realized that no matter how I adjusted the lock nut on top of the steering box, it just was not right. I ended up buying a full rebuild kit and rebuilt the original box. Never did one before, but I followed the instructions on a youtube video and it turned out great. Finished it the night before we left.

Car drove great, it was about 250 miles from my house to the AACA museum in Hershey. They sponsored a Pontiac/Buick/Olds show today. Very light tunrnout, probably having to do with the fact it was 97 degrees. Museum was nice, wife and kids were entertained while I sweat outside, lol. Ended up taking 2nd place for the Buick category. Some nice cars there, have to post some pics tomorrow when I'm back home.

Mike - what year Caddy are you driving?

John - I hope the flooding has gone down already, hope it doesn't get into the house or garage.

Well, heading to bed, have a good night all.
Old August 15th, 2016, 03:38 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Thanks for all the well wishes. The missus and I survived 12 hours and actually did respectably well. We placed 6 out of 13 teams. we were the only 2 person team where the rest of the teams had 4 people. It was a good time, and each of us only fell over once.

Darrell, hope it cools down a bit for you. Congrats on the podium finish.

John, Glad the waters are receding. Not sure why you guys down there don't realize that place is sinking and water just don't care.

Mike, My employee was approached by a water district in the area to replace their retiring mechanic. Better pay and more bennies than I can afford. I don't blame or fault him at all. Heck if they woulda offered it to me, I'da probably taken it too.

Have a Monday all.
Old August 15th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good night at work, got home and in bed by 0430. Dogs got up around 9 and I've been lollygagging around the house ever since. Gonna do some yard work this afternoon.

Clint glad you guys raced well. If the other teams had 4 riders, then you both raced twice as much as everyone else?

Darrell I have an 87 Brougham. You know what's funny, that car steers like a river boat in town, but out on the highway it is rock solid. Takes the off ramps at speed and barely leans.

Tonight is a rare Monday that I get to go to Summit for the cruise in. If it isn't too hot there should be a good turnout. Everyone is back to school and home from vacation.

Okay gonna get to it. Have a good Monday everyone.
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:29 PM

Dang, wher'd everybody go? Jamesbo, no daily post, you ok?
Old August 16th, 2016, 02:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Up and at 'em and ready for the trip to Florida. The Mustang will turn 10,000 miles on the way home. Not bad for having it 26 months.

Jamesbo did you have to go to da big city yesterday? Whatever became of the Jewish section of the cemetery?

Okay headed out. I might check in during the week, depends on how exciting a time I'm having. I can use Mom's laptop. The tablet I got from work lasted one day then it fried itself.

Okay good week to everyone.
Old August 16th, 2016, 03:06 AM

Mawn'in

Jes wanted to see if y'all missed me

Got up and went to smack whitey then ran back home to meet my surveying guy.

We're opening up two new sections of the cemetery and he's gonnna pin the lots fer me

Mike, I gave up opening a seperate jewish section after talking to 10 differnt rabbi's asking them if they'd come out and bless the section. If a conservative does it, it's not good enough for the orthodox and there aren't any orthodox out in these parts

Headed to take some food to a friend in the big city

Have a great day Olds friends
Old August 16th, 2016, 03:57 AM
CQR

Morning.

Dang Jamesbo. Aint it still too dark this early to go smack whitey? Oh wait, you are talking yesterday.... Now I get it.

Mike, Yes, we had 4 person teams the past 2 years and the wife said she didn't get enough seat time so we just ran with the 2 of us.

I have the Superbird back in the shop again. That thing is a wreck. doing plugs and wires and then we'll see how the carbs are doing. The steering is all wonky and the brakes are too. that guy needs to dump a bunch into that thing or just bring me the title.

Have a Tuesday.
Old August 16th, 2016, 08:01 AM

Alive.
Old August 16th, 2016, 12:08 PM

Hey all,

Working hard. Blew up than fixed my mower, see other thread, and been working for a living. The pregnant feminist is trying to freeload her last month here. I don't hate her for it, I wouldn't want to do the job pregnant, but, either do the job and get paid, or take leave and go home; don't just pawn your work off on all of us and get paid so you have extra leave time after the kid drops.

Could be worse, I could be flooded out like the Cajuns. Poor people, floods are even worse than fires. Sometimes you wish your house floated.

Getting close to done on my place, got about 6 things left and hope to do three at once. I hope to move in while there is still some warm weather, as the overgrown lot and I need to have our own War of the Roses.
Old August 16th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Captain Starfire

All's well at the Plantation; wish I could say the same for a lot of my neighbors.

Tonight's a meeting for a charitable group I belong to and it ain't gonna' be a party. Last flood, we had a little initiative for helping out those less fortunate who flooded; I'm sure we'll have a repeat.

Mike, I'm (somewhat) ashamed to say I've barely been in the garage since returning; a few trips just to empty the dehumidifier. But that will change soon! ;-)

It didn't rain today; if we can have another week like today, I might be able to THINK of cutting the grass -- and it's about a foot high now.

Koda, blame the company and the management; she's milking the existing system. The folks at better half's place of employment have it down to a fine art. If fact, many quit as soon as they decide they're not having any more kids.

Hope all Oldsmopals are well & dry...
Old August 17th, 2016, 02:47 AM

Mawn'in

John, Me thinks it's 'bout time to drain the swamp

Got a full day today

Cook fer the super model's girlie dinner party

Get a golf lesson, [cause I stink lately]

Head to de mountains to 1 avoid dinner party and 2 take a friend to the docs

Old August 17th, 2016, 03:39 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Sounds like you have it all worked out Jamesbo. Enjoy the mountains.

John, We sure could use a little of what you had. We did get a nice rain last night but it only brought us .2"The missus was out watering the flowers prior to the rain and a hornet or something came out of the ground and got her right in the leg. She swolled up and turned red on her leg about the size of a flapjack. we usually live and let live, but that was a declaration of war. so we hosed down their fortress with some nasty chemicals but the ones that were already out wouldn't go near it. little buggars.

Koda WB.

Have a Humpday all.
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:13 PM

Well after I cooked all de food. One of the bimbos what was spose to be de bimbo of honor got ill so.....................the whole shooting match was called off. I left sum food fer de super model. Hope she likes it seasoned with used kitty litter.
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:19 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Gonna wait to hear how life is gonna be at the Jamesbo household.

That is all.
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Mawn'in

Clint, Ya know I was jes funning wit cha. I mean like what's de good mawn'in thread w/o a litle venting

John, I been reading on line about the flooding in LA. Said some Parishes got 30 " of rain. Now that's more than a cow on a flat rock.

Hope when it starts down hill you don't get any of it. BTW I beleive you're the only person in LA that doesn't own a John boat,canoe or pirogue I can help ya wit dat. When I bought the boys camp it came with a bunch of beat up canoes. Not sure how JB weld werks on an aluminum canoes but de need sum'in to patch de holes that the got in them from years of shooting the Hooche

Well Have a great day Olds friends, This cook is on a strike/slow down
Old August 18th, 2016, 08:07 AM

The first law of drinking and old boats goes, if there's a hole shot in the boat and water is coming in, shoot another for it to go out.

The Boy Scouts always said to put the plug in from the outside, that way the water will hold it in. I got in trouble for informing a Scoutmaster how stupid that was. He got irate, I had to threaten to boot him off my waterfront (I ran it at the time.) He complained, and I got chewed out. I survived.
Old August 18th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Captain Starfire

Morning from Lake Louisiana...

Thank goodness, no threat to us here atol...

Thanks anyhoots, Jamesbo, but no boats in this Cajun's future -- bullet holes or not. ;-)

Boy, talk about dodging the bullet this time (again). Things are pretty bad. Poor Baton Rouge. One lady I see at church is from there and has 3 separate households in her family that took on water. And Livingston Parish (one over from us in Tangipahoa): town of Walker was 85% under. And Assumption Parish: 20,000 homes flooded just in that parish alone. Pretty overwhelming. Anybody who does any praying, pls. keep those affected in your prayers...

Y'all have a dry one, Olds podna's.
Old August 19th, 2016, 03:34 AM
CQR

Mornin all

Jamesbo, What do you mean you're kiddin? What am I gonna do with all this popcorn I made?

John, I hope it dries out down there. Maybe just a small boat to store your stuff in that needs to stay dry. I did see a pic of a couple pairs of handlebars sticking out of the water. That was kinda sobering. I mean we get to see roof tops, and cars and such under water, but then you start to think of all the smaller stuff that makes the whole situation really start to hit home.

Have a Friday all.
Old August 19th, 2016, 07:43 AM

Good late day.

Was that a word? Anyways. Back from home, and as usual, been reading the topic, but not answering, since i dont like to type on phone. Actually, i passionately hate touch-screen phones. Still i have one.. Since the new phones tend to be touch-screenies..

Drove to work with Olds today, just because of nice weather.

Now im going to go sauna, and get drunk. Just to zero my head. Was a hard week. Next week... Alot harder. Alot money tho.

Got really mad at work today. Since one guy did everything wrong and lazy just because he had hurry to spend weekend. I admit, we make mistakes also time to time, but not a single one of them was because of lazyness. Thats another thing i hate passionately. For gods sake, if you come to work, you do your job correctly no matter is it friday or not!!
Old August 19th, 2016, 07:48 AM

if you come to work, you do your job correctly no matter is it friday or not!!
I couldn't agree more.
Old August 19th, 2016, 03:27 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good week visiting with my Mom. I feel bad that she's unhappy with her living arrangements but when we suggest otherwise she says no. Not sure if she's playing the martyr or has just given up.

Mustang still has about 100 miles to go before hitting 10,000. Really not happy with that car, I think I may have to send a nasty-gram to Ford. They won't care but it will make me feel better.

John may God have mercy on the whole place. They should make everything out of PVC. That way it can be hosed down. Or make everything float. I can't imagine being in that sort of disaster.

Got my fill of Velocity channel this week. The current showing was Wheeler Dealer. The fat guy irritates the hell out of me but I like the tall guy. He sort of glosses over some steps but I realize they have to fit days of working on a car into an hour.

Okay gonna relax a little and then hit the sack. One day of work this weekend, then a dayshift class all next week. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old August 20th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I couldn't agree more.
Ditto! Quit your job and give somebody else a chance to do it right.

Mike, glad you had a decent trip, but sorry Mom is in that situation. I guess you'll just continue to monitor the situation.

Re: the flood (and this addresses Clint's observations, as well) the thing that gets me this time is that most of the same folks who caught in in Tangipahoa Parish in March caught it again this time. After going thru what we went thru in 2005, I can't imagine a "two-fer." Even sadder is the scope of this one... 20 parishes. Those folks in Baton Rouge (like us 11 yrs. ago in N.O.) had never before flooded. And the water still hasn't subsided in a lot of areas; but at least it's falling (finally).

Still waiting for the ground to dry up enough to cut the grass... it's a mess. Wherever I walk, I leave a Big Foot impression.

Y'all have a great weekend, Olds cronies.
Old August 20th, 2016, 09:13 AM

Morning,

I'm going up to Terre Haute (which means High Ground, no flooding there) to keep cleaning out my late relatives' two houses in order to sell sometime soon. Lots of junk, some treasures.

I apparently failed the standard for mowing, as someone went and buzzed my front yard with a serious rider. I think it was the guy across the street. He's a good guy, and he has no grass currently since he's reseeding after moving dirt, so he probably wanted to run the mower. I will be hauling a free rider mower up from FL this fall, so just a couple months left of this.
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:22 AM

Back from de hills and running my 89 y.o bud to the docs.

Did cha miss me?
Old August 20th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Did cha miss me?
Well....yeah. Currently watching the tube as they have a tornado warning about 35 miles S.E. of me, not tracking in my direction, probably an EF0-EF1. Trees down, heading towards Grand Rapids, not good.

Last edited by 1969w3155; August 20th, 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old August 20th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nothing new. Slept late, watched a little TV, now it's time for work. One night is all. Not looking forward to this class next week, I think it will be boring as hell. Eh, something different.

Dan hope the tornado kept missing you. Prayers for the people whom it didn't.

John prayers for your neighbors, too. This is one time I wouldn't want to be an expert at what's going on.

Jamesbo don't be gone for so long. What if we need you.

Okay off I go. A little bit of rain a few minutes ago, but now it's nice again. Have a good evening everyone.
Old August 20th, 2016, 06:03 PM

Mike, it was mostly trees and powerlines down from 3 tornado's, no injuries reported, most of the area affected was in rural part of the state, they dissipated about the time they got to Grand Rapids. Some big trees toppled onto a couple of homes and cars, one house, about 100 years old, was severely damaged by a huge tree.
Old August 21st, 2016, 05:56 AM

Morning. Coffee.
Old August 21st, 2016, 07:15 AM

Evening. Usual weekend. Beer, sauna, and driving american car.
Everything necessary to make weekend worth it.

Have a nice week everyone
Old August 21st, 2016, 09:46 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Did okay at work last night. Worked with two other guys on a class divider mod, then went home. Was all ready to crawl into bed mega-early and my girl had a pretty bad seizure. Wonder if it was triggered by me waking her up or if she would have had it anyway. It takes her a long time to totally get over it, so I stayed up with her. Well, that's okay.

Got a few small things to mess with this afternoon then get ready for class tomorrow. Imagine, dayshift for a whole week.

Okay see you all later.
Old August 21st, 2016, 10:13 AM

mawnin

Mike, De Super model and I looked fer ya at de Awful House in Roswell dis mawn'in Thought ya might wanted sum change of scenery

Off to weed whack

Old August 21st, 2016, 05:09 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I skipped the Awful house, even though I had planned on it. Didn't get going as quick as I wanted to and didn't want to get in with all the church people. Did you see that your buddy in Texas is working on one of your favorite cars? He's doing an engine swap on a Borgward. Beautiful car. At least he isn't putting a Chev in it.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:18 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Welp it's Monday again. Gotta busy day as usual. I wonder if anyone will come in and apply for the job opening today?

I have a guy coming to look at my 250X tonight for his boy. Funny enough I've had lots of interest on FB not not one hit from Craigslist. This is an old flings Hubby but I'm not gonna tell the missus that.

Gonna be hot. Have a Monday all.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:38 AM

Mawn'in

Welp, tis Monday so.................

Have a great day
Old August 22nd, 2016, 03:46 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well the clocks say the same thing, but it's exactly opposite in the day for me to be getting ready.

Clint you had any interest at all in your help wanted? I'd apply, but it's been so long since I've done any real work to a car I could hardly change oil.

Gotta rush home this afternoon and take my girl to the vet. She has bandages on her front feet that need to be changed. After that I'm going to the cruise in at Summit. Didn't think I'd get to go another time. My neighbor is adamant that he's going and wants to take his Camaro. Every time I can go I ask him if he wants to go and he says yes, but then on the day he comes up with some lame excuse. So I expect that from today as well. The funny thing is he thinks I'm going to stay home if he doesn't go. See ya! Might take the new Cutlass and see if I can win a door prize.

Okay off I go. Chin up, good attitude, this is not going to be a waste of my time. Going to work Monday morning this is like having a regular job. Have a good day everyone.
Old August 22nd, 2016, 10:44 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, all.... getting pretty warm down here 'cause Elsie is finally easing up on us. Still need to do the grass trimming; will prolly go out there this afternoon and sweat my bolas off.

Went to S. Shore dis mawnin' to see my podiatrist, and gave Quest Diagnostics some of my royal green and royal red bodily fluids for their consideration. We'll see what they think of 'em.

Whackem' good, Jamesbo.

Have a great Monday at the 'port, Mike.

Hope you get a solid-gold worker, Clint -- you deserve one. And hope you sell that sassy little bike for a respectable sum.

Glad your weekend was worth it, Inline. Just watch out for that devil's brew.

Have a great, cool one, Olds amigos.