The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2015, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee

Jamesbo, I'm a proud veteran of the Winn Dixie army during the high school years -- and a little beyond. We kids worked like Trojans, but I do have fond memories (for the most part). I considered myself to be a bagging expert -- that's when it was practically a profession, and before the dawn of the plastic-bag era. Each bag was carefully planned with cans at the bottom, lighter and more delicate things at the top. All cold and frozen things went together, double-bagged. Glass jars & bottles got their own mini-bags. Eggs & bread were always separate. Every night, we'd bring a flat full of assorted paper bags to refill the bins & slots at the check-out counters. .
"Mam, do you want de eggs on de bottom so de won't fall out?"
"Mam, do you want de eggs on de bottom so when de break de won't mess up everything?"

Kroger Union help
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John - you too huh? I got purty good at dat when I was working in de market in my ute. Never had any complaints about ability to use my gray cells. Not like todays brain dead bag loaders.

Woo HOOOO!! The battle of the Brads is ON!! This mawnin Brad Jacobs lost in round robin competition to Brad Gushue. Both are Olympic Gold medalists in Curling. Gushue in 2006 and Jacobs in 2014. What a game!! 5-5 going into the 10th end with Gushue having the hammer. Gushue holds in for a 6-5 win. This is going to be one wicked game for the 1-2 position!
Old March 5th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Captain Starfire

"The Register"

Allan, we had a bunch of training (they'd send us to NCR for a couple evening sessions) before they put us on the registers. Once you were a cashier, you had to calculate tax -- each of the big numbers that popped up in the window at the top of the register had little-bitty numbers at the bottom, which you'd have to add up in your head to calculate tax after you sub-totaled. It wasn't rocket science -- but say you'd see 32 8 and 2 up there in mini-numbers, you'd enter 42 cents for tax... and there were two kinds of tax: one was the "regular" food items, and the other was for non-edibles, booze, etc. So there were two little sets of numbers. As I said, it wasn't rocket science, but I can't see kids today doing it, with their calculator and iPod mentalities.
Whelpt, let Grandad Johnny get back to his rocking chair....
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I never worked in the grocery store, though a bunch of my friends did. Whenever I'm in Walmart and get in line with a checker that looks more clueless than normal, I say I miss the days when we had paper bags, and the groceries were checked and put on a belt that went down to someone who put them in the bag for you. I just get a blank stare.

Okay got the van unloaded at the shop, took a couple pictures, and immediately got it stuck in the mud. So there it will sit until it dries up or I get back from vacation. I'm guessing the latter.

Now, before you think I've completely flipped my lid, keep in mind that this van is going to be put to work. It will also go to work, to Walmart, and any place door dings are prevalent.

So now I'm going up to Alpharetta to meet my sister for dinner. Hm, I was up that way yesterday. Well, no trailer in tow today. I'm going to meet her at her apartment and we'll find some place to eat.

Jamesbo that van was in Winder. Though I'm guessing the stepson bought in a little nicer neighborhood.

Okay back into traffic. Have a good evening everyone.
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by slantflat
Okay got the van unloaded at the shop, took a couple pictures, and immediately got it stuck in the mud. So there it will sit until it dries up or I get back from vacation. I'm guessing the latter.
I hate when that happens, Mike! I've been stuck on my own property more times than I care to mention. I've only had to get outside help once, though. I've actually gotten the truck stuck trying to unstick another car. I bought a cheap 12V winch a year or two ago and it's worth its weight in gold, IMHO.
Old March 5th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, what year? They look a lot alike from 1979 - 1993.

Just found this from Meghan Trainor. Not what you'd expect. Takes me back to the 50/60's...

Last edited by Allan R; March 5th, 2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old March 6th, 2015, 04:11 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike what a straight little van. When you say work, do you mean you are going to pass out candy from it? Just kidding.

John, I work at our little town grocery store(actually in the building next to the shop) when I was young. Didn't work there very long. I was too young. 12-13 maybe.So instead of working for him, I sold him nightcrawlers.

Allan, She's easy on the eyes.

Have a Friday all.
Old March 6th, 2015, 04:56 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but clearer

After my time bagg'in groceries, I delivered patio furniture. 1st time I saw an electric garage door. I had a glass to table under one and hit what I thought was the door bell. I instantly saw a flash of my month's salary going up in smoke as the door lowered down towards smashing the new table in half. Fortunately de maid opened de door and stopped de new contraption from ruin'in my life. De owner treated us like slaves an loaned us out to his friends to labor when we weren't busy at his store. Tought me alot

Welp GTG to de mountain Have a great Day
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It's about 30* colder than it was this time yesterday. I think the rain is gone.

Going to have breakfast with my neighbor this morning then running some errands. I'd like to go to the junkyard but don't think I'll make it today. I've got a whole new section to check out now.

Allan the van is an 86. And I found out when I looked at the title that it's a Ram Wagon. Sounds fancy. This van originally belonged to the State of Georgia. Not sure what its duties were, but they seem to have taken care of it.

Had a nice visit with my sister last night. Took me an hour and a half to get up there and 40 minutes to get home. We ate at a place called Pepperoni Tavern. The pizza was okay, the server was some punk who kept rushing us.

Time to hit it. Have a good Friday everyone.
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin

Gorgeous day shaping up. Already 39 but windy. Veritable heat wave.

Jim, whaddaya call an Irishman sellin lawn chairs door to door? "Paddy O'Furniture"

Clint, yessir. Also has some really nice arrangements with sax and piano acompanyment.

Mike, hope the state looked after it well. I guess the big question is did the next owners? Doesn't look rusty at all. How many miles? I bet the pups will love it except you'll have to put in a heated pax seat for your boy.

Gotta head out to Costco later. They have the best deals on fruit and veggies.

The big deciding game to determine whether the teams with 5 wins get the boot goes in an hour, so that's a must see for me. Pat Simmons lost his first game to Jacobs last night and will be taking on Kevin Koe. My money is on Simmons, he's a better skip.

Enjoy your day.
Old March 6th, 2015, 10:56 AM

Evening/afternoon all

Lovely day day here in London mid 60s but a bit a windy.
Great day for me, decided to have the afternoon off so I took my hound for a nice long walk. I don't know who needed it more, him or me.
Now fully refreshed to face a busy weekend.
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:00 AM
CQR

So it sounds like the brakes didn't stop an airplane in the NE?

Old March 6th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

?? What ?? Obviously not a Flintstone plane....Pterodactyl Airlines strikes again?

Wasn't that yesterday?

Last edited by Allan R; March 6th, 2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old March 6th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Always room for one more

I would have guessed that the pilot landed long, but I read that it went off the runway about half way down. So that's an antiskid problem. Also saw a report that said the "emergency chutes" didn't open over the wings so the people had to crawl down. There are no "emergency chutes" over the wings. That's how you get down, crawl out the window and slide down the flaps. This will be one big out of town trip for our department. Nose gear, radome and bulkhead, lower fuselage, it will be awhile before it's back in the air.

Allan the reason I got another van was to keep the dogs' van nice. I didn't want to put dirty, greasy things in their van.

Really turned into a nice day. Sun's out and it's about 50. So far I haven't gotten much done. I am enjoying the day, though.
Old March 6th, 2015, 01:35 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Afternoon All

Have a great weekend
Old March 6th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Hehe..I read this to my 88 yr old Dad today..we had a good laugh
Old March 6th, 2015, 07:36 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Well, all the schools were closed yesterday as we got another 8-10 inches. We're got all dug out here today and went back to work.

Allan/Clint/Mike -That airplane skidded off of the LaGuardia runway, about 40 miles from me.

Clint- It is going down to 5 tonight, from here its supposed to warm up too, into the 40's by Monday. Let the melting begin. With the amount we have, it's going to take a while.

Scot- nice one, I'll share that with a few others I know will appreciate it!

Sammy - nope, I wish that cat dander was the problem. The pooch seems to like his new friends so far. We are going to go visit him on Sunday.

Have a good night all.
Old March 7th, 2015, 06:48 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

Gonna be a nice one today in the mid 60's

Originally Posted by sammy
Hehe..I read this to my 88 yr old Dad today..we had a good laugh
Ted that made me smile when I read that your Dad got a chuckle out of that. Sounds like something I'd do

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69

Scot- nice one, I'll share that with a few others I know will appreciate it!
Thanks Darrell Found it on Facebook and had to share

Whelp it looks like I need to head back to the shop, have a great Saturday
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin everyone

Don't forget that tonight's the dreaded start of DST. Whoever invented that concept should be shot.

Gonna be Anutter day in paradise, even better tomorrow.

The 3-4 game on tap for 1:00 later. Saskatchewan vs Team Canada. Then at 6:00 the semi final match between NL and winner of 3-4. Should be really good when teams of this calibre are playing.

Mike, you're suggesting maybe equipment failure? Is anti skid on planes like ABS on cars?

Scot, I wanna pond like dat! Who says us old guys aren't quick thinkers?

Enjoy your day.
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:39 AM

Mawn'in

Welp, got de tree down and cut up in de mountains. De guy had a track hoe to yank out de ole stump

When I get it split, I'll have 'bout 2 cords of red oak

Scot, Good one Could we get sum beofre and after shots

Welp, Enjoy your Saturday Olds friends and don't ferget "Spring forwar, fall back"
Old March 7th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years

I hadn't realized that daylight savings time hadn't ended yet. I hate winter time.

Jim - 2 chords of farwood sounds like a chore. You gonna split it yersef or have someone do it fer ya? Call Ted (Sammy), he duz dat chit.
Old March 7th, 2015, 10:45 AM

Allan, I gots me a gas powered spliter, Dat an a case of beer oughta bring de neighbors out
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good to hear. at furst I wuz wuryed dat you only had one ov deez

Now dat I nose ya got it kovered wit one of deze I feal much bedder

Old March 7th, 2015, 01:09 PM

Hey, I know dat guy
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Cool, one lung wood splitter...this is my setup..keeps me out of trouble
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Really, really nice day out. Gonna be even nicer tomorrow. I'll take it.

Ted that's some machine you got there. At my house I'm the wood splitter. I find it very therapeutic. I'm actually surprised at the amount of firewood I went through this year, considering I only run my stove a couple nights a week.

Got over to the shop today and got the van out of the mud. Raked up the tracks a little then threw some wood chips into the ruts. Looks perfect. The van is now tucked in on concrete until I get back and can get it going.

I'm not sure what happened to that plane in NY, but I'm sure I'll find out tonight at work. Yes anti-skid is sort of like ABS, it pulses the brakes so the plane doesn't skid.

Two nights this week. Also we change the clocks, so I'll be at work an hour less. I like that. I was also at work when we changed last fall, and I know I always say it doesn't matter how long you're at work once you're there, but that was a long night. Mainly the four and a half hours between breaks. Apparently if I smoked I could take a break whenever I want.

Okay gonna hit it. Have a good evening and weekend everyone.
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - Iz it yer brudder??

Ted - Holy Timbertown Batman!! Looks like you run a sawmill. You must have a loader hidden somewhere to move those logs. Where do they come from (besides the forest) all de-limbed like that?
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:31 PM

this is my setup..keeps me out of trouble
Jeesh, looks like you got the deeeluxe model!
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Evening All,

Mike, I find working with wood enjoyable also. I process between 300 and 600 bush chord a year .....

Allan, I used to have my own logging crews...skidded, fellers etc. nowadays mechanical harvesters have replaced the feller. In the hardwoods, delimbers are not feasible, so we have people called brushers who flush the limbs.these particular logs were harvested from a managed wood lot in the Bancroft area....yup, the loader is in the shed.

Hehe, it is the deeelux model when I bought it 10 yrs ago, but they have better ones now In good trees, I can do a bush cord / hour. Average day is between 6 and 8 bush.
This machine is probably one of the most dangerous ones I have operated. As soon as one loses his fear of it, I retrain or fire them! Myself included!

Have a night All

Last edited by sammy; March 7th, 2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old March 8th, 2015, 01:59 AM

Geeze Louise Ted, Dat's tres cool.

Question? What's a "bush cord"?

Woke up an de TV had Sharon Stone do'in [lots] so much fer sleep

Anyone know WTF time it is?
Old March 8th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,

Cold and snowin

Jim, a bush cord is 128 cubic feet of wood...or a pile 4ft high,24 ft long and 16" wide. A face cord is 1/3 of a bush. It is how we buy and sell wood. Lumber, is by the linear foot....

I messed up my schedule. Sat nights are my sons football tryouts..and so is curling. Guess I will pick up curling next season...

Darrel, how was the pooch?

Have a Day All
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin from the tropics

Looks like it's team Canada vs. team NO for the gold/silver medal. NL vs SK for bronze. The elusive Brier championship eludes Gushue for yet another year.

Where did the sun go? Dang stupid daylight saving time. Now I gotta go through the house and cars changing all the clocks.

Ted, what can I say but WOW!!!? Sounds like you got major production there. Now we know what the log truck is for. Regular curling seaon is over for me next Sunday. Need to find Anutter team dats not based in hell.

Jim, de Suns over de yardarm an mickeys hands are crossed. In utter werds it could be 5:00 somewhere. Sharon Stone huh? I bermember her classic "gratuitous leg cross" from long ago. I tink it was de reasons so many peeps went to dat show.

Mike, wHo gets to fix that plane and how long does a job like that take, give or take?
A small two-seater Cessna 152 plane crashed into a cemetery early yesterday afternoon in central Kentucky. Search and rescue workers have recovered 300 bodies so far and expect that number to climb as digging continued into the evening.

Not sure ifn I should wash the car. Naw, it's just gonna get filthy with all the road spray. Enjoy your day.
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

...Allan, I am leaning towards pipelines are safer than rail...I see another derailment of oil tankers at Gogama, North of Timmins..what makes the new cars unsafe??...or is it the tracks...???

I buy all my logs in now. As soon a my son was born I wanted to be at home...sold the logging equipment and bought the processor. Now all the logs are trucked in and I just stroke a cheque
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted it's a combination of things. Track and infrastructure is one thing, tanker design is another, but so is speed, and no matter how good a tank car is when it derails at speed there's going to be spillage. The new cars are supposed to be double walled IIRC, while the older cars are simply retrofitted with a protective liner. The ones that recently spilled were old cars that had been modified. This isn't a new problem, just it's getting more exposure now that pipeline construction projects are getting vetoed or delayed. Environmentalists are jumping up and down with excitement as shipping disasters fuel their cause to cease and desist oil production of any kind
The Association of American Railroads says oil shipments by rail jumped from 9,500 carloads in 2008, to 500,000 in 2014, driven by the boom in the Bakken oil patch of North Dakota and Montana. Pipeline limitations in the region force 70 per cent of the crude to move by rail.
Old March 8th, 2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
Jim, a bush cord is 128 cubic feet of wood...or a pile 4ft high,24 ft long and 16" wide. A face cord is 1/3 of a bush. It is how we buy and sell wood. Lumber, is by the linear f

I knowed dat, I guess I should axed what's de diff betwix a "Bush" cord and a cord Never heared a cord called a bush cord, but have heard of a face cord.

BTW what safety gear do you wear when you're running dat thing?
Old March 8th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I knowed dat, I guess I should axed what's de diff betwix a "Bush" cord and a cord Never heared a cord called a bush cord, but have heard of a face cord.

BTW what safety gear do you wear when you're running dat thing?
Jim, we use bush cord as referring to 3 face cords. Most of my customers order by the bush cord. Where the term "bush" cord came from I have no idea...just always been that way
The operator is pretty safe. The way I have it set up requires 2 people...operator and loader. Hard hats, safety boots and eye protection are the norm. The biggest danger is if the blade explodes...I check every day, and replace at any sight of the blade not ringing true.l had a kid lose two fingers in the splitter...he decided to rearrange a block while the cylinder was extending. I kept his glove on and took him to the emergency ward, and luckily they were able to reattach. This was a guy who had worked around the machine for 4 years, and was well aware of its dangers. I kept his glove to remind guys of the dangers!I also have safety seminars twice a week....

Last edited by sammy; March 8th, 2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

So how many logs to a bush cord? Nice to see that you take safety seriously.

Tied at 5 in the fifth.....
Old March 8th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Depends on how big de is Allan. If it's a sequoia not many
Old March 8th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmmm, bermember in 2011 when this thread got deleted and restarted? Almost halfway to yer goal of 1000 Jim. Any of you ever go back and revisit the early sections? Lotsa folks who just dropped off the map, or have passed on?

Steven Laycock wins Bronze in a 7-5 win over Brad Jacobs in an overtime end. Tears of sadness from Jacobs. Smug smile fom Laycock.
Old March 8th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I believe this was the perfect weather day. Tomorrow is supposed to be as warm but cloudy.

Friday for me. Almost ready for my trip. I still need to get a couple things and then assemble it all. I used to take two big bags and my carry on, now I'm down to one bad and the carry on. I don't get people things anymore nor do I take a lot of things over. This will be year 12.

When I first started participating in this thread I went back to the beginning and read all the way through. One guy that comes to mind that just dropped off the face was a guy in Thailand, drove a 65 Cutlass 2 door.

Now that we have established what a bush cord and a face cord is, how much is a bushel and a peck?

The time change today had no effect on me. Stayed till 7 this morning and slept all day. Still on schedule. The dogs seem to adjust as well. They must be magic.

Okay time to scram. Have a good evening everyone and a good start to the week.